No votes
Top 50 Underrated Songs of the '80s
No votes

Total votes: 15

StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

What list should we do first?

Post by StevieFan13 »

More options will be added as time goes on.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Re: What list should we do first?

Post by Pierre »

I hope people will notice this poll; I think many members don't leave the "Music, music, music" board. You should mention there that you started this poll.

Oh, and voted Kanye, essentially because out of all the options, it's actually the one I'm least interested to do, so might as well start off with it.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Pierre wrote:I hope people will notice this poll; I think many members don't leave the "Music, music, music" board. You should mention there that you started this poll.

Oh, and voted Kanye, essentially because out of all the options, it's actually the one I'm least interested to do, so might as well start off with it.
I posted it in the thread. I voted for the Dusty Springfield list for similar reasons.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Pierre wrote: Oh, and voted Kanye, essentially because out of all the options, it's actually the one I'm least interested to do, so might as well start off with it.
Wow ok
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

bootsy wrote:
Pierre wrote: Oh, and voted Kanye, essentially because out of all the options, it's actually the one I'm least interested to do, so might as well start off with it.
Wow ok
Yeah, that was Donald-level of diplomacy from me. Let me clear that out.

I like Kanye. When I'm listening to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, I LOVE Kanye. What I don't like is people claiming "Stop everything you're doing! Kanye just released a new song" and then making two pages of a thread - maybe more - about why the song is fabulous. It's just annoying to me, especially when the song is not-so-fabulous (refer to recent memories). Don't get me wrong, that's not just Kanye, it works for any other act for that matter (looking at you Radiohead) but with The Life of Pablo Kanye somewhat epitomized this to me, especially since I think it's vastly overrated in regard to some other hip-hop releases from last year like those from Chance the Rapper, A Tribe Called Quest or especially Danny Brown, whose Atrocity Exhibition is one of the best albums of all time and was left in Kanye's shadow. It annoyed me. You can also throw in Kanye's obnoxious behaviour and poor communication, but these are artists antics that I'm sort of expecting and it doesn't touch me much. But that's not the reason why I'm not that interested into a top Kanye songs.

There are two main reasons: first is, I know Kanye's catalogue pretty well and I wouldn't have much exploration and discovery to do to build my top, which are one of the enjoyable aspects of this exercice. Second, most importantly, is that I have a pretty good idea of what the final top is going to look like (nearly all or all of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, a good chunk of The Life of Pablo, some tracks from Yeezus, perhaps "Only One" and the rest from his other albums) so it sucks away some of the entertainment. The only real suspense is the ranking, and that's not the aspect I'm most interested in. That's why overall Kanye's top is the one I'm least interested in. Sorry :?
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Pierre wrote:
bootsy wrote:
Wow ok

I like Kanye. When I'm listening to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, I LOVE Kanye. What I don't like is people claiming "Stop everything you're doing! Kanye just released a new song" and then making two pages of a thread - maybe more - about why the song is fabulous. It's just annoying to me, especially when the song is not-so-fabulous (refer to recent memories). Don't get me wrong, that's not just Kanye, it works for any other act for that matter (looking at you Radiohead) but with The Life of Pablo Kanye somewhat epitomized this to me, especially since I think it's vastly overrated in regard to some other hip-hop releases from last year like those from Chance the Rapper, A Tribe Called Quest or especially Danny Brown, whose Atrocity Exhibition is one of the best albums of all time and was left in Kanye's shadow. It annoyed me. You can also throw in Kanye's obnoxious behaviour and poor communication, but these are artists antics that I'm sort of expecting and it doesn't touch me much. But that's not the reason why I'm not that interested into a top Kanye songs.

There are two main reasons: first is, I know Kanye's catalogue pretty well and I wouldn't have much exploration and discovery to do to build my top, which are one of the enjoyable aspects of this exercice. Second, most importantly, is that I have a pretty good idea of what the final top is going to look like (nearly all or all of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, a good chunk of The Life of Pablo, some tracks from Yeezus, perhaps "Only One" and the rest from his other albums) so it sucks away some of the entertainment. The only real suspense is the ranking, and that's not the aspect I'm most interested in. That's why overall Kanye's top is the one I'm least interested in. Sorry :?
Well for your first paragraph, I don't see anyone 'stop with they are doing Kanye just released a new song'. Kanye is a huge, established name and people are going to react hugely when he releases new music just like any other artist or group with that clout. It doesn't mean they stop everything it's just natural to react that way to someone like Kanye.

For your second paragraph you are making a lot of assumption about what people are going to pick. I, for one, will not be picking a lot of MBDTF songs near the top. It's not even his best album in my opinion that would be Late Registration for me. And even if most of those songs from that album end up on top is that a surprise? It's his most acclaimed album.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

bootsy wrote:
Pierre wrote:
bootsy wrote: Wow ok

Well for your first paragraph, I don't see anyone 'stop with they are doing Kanye just released a new song'. Kanye is a huge, established name and people are going to react hugely when he releases new music just like any other artist or group with that clout. It doesn't mean they stop everything it's just natural to react that way to someone like Kanye.

For your second paragraph you are making a lot of assumption about what people are going to pick. I, for one, will not be picking a lot of MBDTF songs near the top. It's not even his best album in my opinion that would be Late Registration for me. And even if most of those songs from that album end up on top is that a surprise? It's his most acclaimed album.
Yeah, but I don't like it when people react that way, whether with Kanye or anyone else. That's just that. Whatever.

For the second part, that's assumptions but not completely: someone threw in a poll of best Kanye songs I don't remember how much time back, and that's basically what the results showed up overall. It's good to see you're going with Late Registration - in recent times, I've felt that aside from a song or two, Kanye just started to exist with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy for most people. As you said, it is his most acclaimed album, and as you said, it's not a surprise if the top is mostly made of songs from it, but that's precisely what kills the interest for me. There's no surprise.

But yeah, I'm making assumptions. Sorry if it offends people. In fact, I'll be glad if my assumptions are proven wrong, I'm hoping they will.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Pierre wrote:
bootsy wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Yeah, but I don't like it when people react that way, whether with Kanye or anyone else. That's just that. Whatever.

For the second part, that's assumptions but not completely: someone threw in a poll of best Kanye songs I don't remember how much time back, and that's basically what the results showed up overall. It's good to see you're going with Late Registration - in recent times, I've felt that aside from a song or two, Kanye just started to exist with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy for most people. As you said, it is his most acclaimed album, and as you said, it's not a surprise if the top is mostly made of songs from it, but that's precisely what kills the interest for me. There's no surprise.

But yeah, I'm making assumptions. Sorry if it offends people. In fact, I'll be glad if my assumptions are proven wrong, I'm hoping they will.
I have no problem with what you are saying. Like you said it's your views/opinions.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

bootsy wrote: I have no problem with what you are saying. Like you said it's your views/opinions.
Glad to hear it :)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

What do you suppose will break the tie?
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Pierre wrote:I hope people will notice this poll; I think many members don't leave the "Music, music, music" board. You should mention there that you started this poll.

I posted it in the thread. I voted for the Dusty Springfield list for similar reasons.
Well, I voted for her, instead of breaking the tie, because everyone needs to know about the genius that was Dusty.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

babydoll wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:

Well, I voted for her, instead of breaking the tie, because everyone needs to know about the genius that was Dusty.
I don't know Dusty much. That's why I'm actually looking forward to the vote for her somewhat, because I'm hoping for some discoveries ;)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Pierre wrote:
babydoll wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote: I posted it in the thread. I voted for the Dusty Springfield list for similar reasons.
I don't know Dusty much. That's why I'm actually looking forward to the vote for her somewhat, because I'm hoping for some discoveries ;)
Same.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Pierre wrote:
babydoll wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote: I posted it in the thread. I voted for the Dusty Springfield list for similar reasons.
Plus "The Windmills of Your Mind" did really well in the Overlooked Songs tournament. I think it's time to explore a little more than "Son of a Preacher Man".
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

"Top 500 Essential Women-In-Music Songs""

This sounds good.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Bruno wrote:"Top 500 Essential Women-In-Music Songs""

This sounds good.
I'm excited for that one. I've wanted to do something really feminist on this site for a while now.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

We need a tie-breaker!

Return to “Poll creations”