Moderately Acclaimed Albums 12 - Round 1.5

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 12 - Round 1.5

Post by Brad »

Welcome to another set of music in the first round of Moderately Acclaimed Albums!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = April 6th at 10am EST.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=474290

Match-ups:
1. Laura Nyro - New York Tendaberry vs. Tortoise - TNT
2. Grouper - A I A: Alien Observer vs. Shame - Songs of Praise
3. Depeche Mode - Ultra vs. Stabil Elite - Douze Pouze
4. Flavien Berger - Contre-Temps vs. The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir

We're born again, there's new grass on the field
(yep - Baseball Season starts Thursday!)
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 12 - Round 1.5

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Comments are a bit shorter than usual. Next week they will be longer again.

Laura Nyro | New York Tendaberry (1969)

Nyro‘s voice has an incredible range and she‘s able to portray a lot just through her singing, which is obviously the highlight of this album. She changes from quiet whispers to loud, powerful singing and it almost seems like a change in style only executed by her voice; but the individual parts flow nicely together so it all sounds enormously soulful in the end.
The instrumentation has the primary role of supporting Nyro‘s singing and piano playing and does a good job of that. There‘s actually quite a lot going on in the background, but the focus stays on Nyro and her wonderful vocal performance. (Did I mention that I like her singing on this album?)
Highlights: „You Don‘t Love Me When I Cry“, „Tom Cat Goodbye“, „Save the Country“, „New York Tendaberry“

Tortoise | TNT (1998)

I am always interested in musicians that try to cross the boundaries of their genres and combine elements from different styles of music with each other, creating something new and exciting in the process. The development of Miles Davis from a relatively standard Bebop trumpeter to the guy who created an organic fusion of Jazz and Rock that has a very unique sound to it, is one of the most interesting artistic progressions in the music of the last century (for me at least).
What Tortoise is doing here is quite similar to that: They take the foundation of Rock music and combine it with elements from Electronic music and Jazz to create their very own style that sounds like more than a mixture of the individual elements.
The jazz influence can especially be seen in the drumming style on the opener and title track „TNT“, where the playing is reminiscent of modern jazz drumming. The band also features Jeff Parker, who has played jazz guitar in multiple formations.
It‘s almost like every track tells its own short story with some songs emphasizing different elements than other songs. Still the entire album manages to sound incredibly cohesive and the tracks flow together admirably.
Highlights: „TNT“, „I Set My Face to the Hillside“, „The Suspension Bridge at Iguazú Falls“

Grouper | A I A: Alien Observer (2011)

I still don‘t know if I accept Ambient as a genre because it seems to combine all sorts of different styles which don‘t have a lot in common other than long, meandering tracks without clear song structures (at least it is often described this way). The thing is, I am not nearly educated enough to judge whether anything has a structure or not. Kaja Draksler wrote a thesis on the structure in Cecil Taylor‘s improvisation and skimming that I was astounded by all the stuff she was able to figure out from listening to it. (She‘s also a professional musician, so it‘s not surprising she knows more about this stuff than I do).
This album is categorized as Ambient on the pertinent sites like Wikipedia and RYM and that seems fitting despite not fitting the description of not having classical song structure, because there‘s clearly songs here. It might be that Ambient more or less describes what the listener wants from this kind of music: Background music or music that is relaxing to play, something the listener doesn‘t have to think about a lot while listening (basically the opposite of Free Jazz). This seems more appropriate as a description for me and I would agree that A I A: Alien Observer fits that description, because I don‘t think there‘s a lot of value in deep listening here. The songs mostly flow through their runtime with easy, soft-going, sometimes drone-like sounds and restricted vocals that integrate into the overall soundscape. It is certainly pleasant to listen to, but I find myself wanting more from this. I wouldn‘t call it boring because that‘s a criticism that says more about the listener (meaning me) than the actual music. It just meanders around a bit too much; maybe the initial definition I wrote about Ambient is right after all…
Highlight: „Alien Observer“

Shame | Songs of Praise (2018)

This week in albums that sound nothing like their album covers. Instead of cute quirky Indie Pop/Rock, it‘s one of those British Post-Punk bands that seem to be everywhere these days. Shame isn‘t bad but doesn‘t really resonate with me a lot. The music really is decent and totally okay, but not something I would wanna check out again (that is, if it doesn‘t win this round).
Dead Oceans in general seems to have released a lot of stuff over the last few years that was relatively decent, but didn‘t fascinate me a lot (the albums by Bright Eyes, Destroyer and Fenne Lily last year for example; Punisher is an exception).
Highlights: "Dust on Trial", "The Lick", "Gold Hole"

Depeche Mode | Ultra (1997)

I like some of Depeche Mode‘s songs (especially „Personal Jesus“) but their album work leaves me cold mostly, and this is not an exception. First of all, the songs are way too long. If the songs were all just a minute shorter, the album would be much better. This way they meander around a lot and the album feels much more stretched out than it actually is.
The biggest problem is probably the theatricality of the band, especially of Gahan‘s vocals that sound totally overblown, while at the same time not showing a lot of variety. I do see the appeal here, but it‘s a bit tedious for my taste. The outro for „Insight“ is a good example: Cut out 30 seconds and it‘s immediately better.
Highlight: „Barrel of a Gun“

Stabil Elite | Douze Pouze (2012)

Sounds like a continuation of the sound Kraftwerk made famous (after they stopped doing Krautrock): Cool-sounding Synthpop. Stabil Elite‘s sound is not quite as cold and their general attitude is not quite so nihilistic. While Kraftwerk‘s songs were most of the time about the alienation caused by technical innovation, the songs on here do not really have a consistent theme. But the album cover with its depiction of food and its warm colors already shows that their approach to the genre isn‘t quite as harsh as that of their predecessors.
I quite like this. Synthesizer-heavy music often fails to grab me, but this does. I suspect the lyrics aren‘t meant to be taken as they are; currently I think the biggest part in choosing these specific words is due to onomatopoeia. The rather absurd lines are actually quite funny, though they‘re not being sung like that.
Highlights: „Drei gerade Zahlen“, „Rave Maria“, „Endecomputer“

Flavien Berger | Contre-temps (2018)

Another Synthpop album, but vastly different from Stabil Elite. Berger goes for a softer sound while employing extensive electronics and a variety of samples that create a very pleasant sound. Especially the strings in the title track are gorgeous.
Similarly to last week‘s La Femme album I can‘t comment on the lyrics because I don‘t understand them. The different singers contribute to the atmosphere while not drawing too much attention to themselves. The album has a nice flow over its entire length, but the style in general is not a favorite of mine.
Highlights: „Maddy La Nuit“, „A reculons“, „Deadline“, „Hyper Horloge“

The Magnetic Fields | 50 Song Memoir (2017)

Stephin Merritt wrote fifty songs about his life, one for every year, and put them on a quintuple-album. That‘s the basic concept and it is of course very similar to The Magnetic Fields‘ most famous release, 69 Love Songs (which I prefer to this). The material stays in the confines of Indie Pop, but there‘s still a great variety of different melodies and moods. Merritt is a great songwriter, who creates catchy melodies with interesting instrumentation (the number of instruments used on this album is baffling) and combines them with thoughtful lyrics that are often a bit satiric. Some episodes of his life are echoed in the music, especially the ‚80s are reflected in songs like „How to Play the Synthesizer“.
The entire album does feel like a journey. There are definitely parts that are not as good as other parts, but since they‘re integral to the concept and aren‘t very long they don‘t derail the album. A wonderful project with great variety.
Highlights: „‘68: A Cat Called Dionysus“, „‘76: Hustle 76“, „‘77: Life Ain‘t All Bad“, „‘84: Danceteria!“, „‘92: Weird Diseases“, „‘02: Be True to Your Bar“, „‘03: The Ex and I“, „‘12: You Can Never Go Back to New York“

3 | Laura Nyro | New York Tendaberry vs. 1 | Tortoise | TNT
7 | Grouper | A I A: Alien Observer vs. 6 | Shame | Songs of Praise
8 | Depeche Mode | Ultra vs. 4 | Stabil Elite | Douze Pouze
5 | Flavien Berger | Contre-temps vs. 2 | The Magnetic Fields | 50 Song Memoir
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

1. Tortoise - TNT
2. Grouper - A I A: Alien Observer
4. The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

50 Song Memoir exceeded expectations.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

New York Tendaberry 88 - TNT 85
Songs Of Praise 75 - AIA: Alien Observer 73
Douze Pouze 86 - Ultra 84
50 Song Memoir 95 - Contre 83

After listening to 50 Song Memoir all last year for decade list purposes I made a Spotify playlist 21 Song Memoir for all the songs I really feel I need to listen to.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

1 | Laura Nyro | New York Tendaberry
2 | Tortoise | TNT

3 | Grouper | A I A: Alien Observer
8 | Shame | Songs of Praise

5 | Depeche Mode | Ultra
6 | Stabil Elite | Douze Pouze

7 | Flavien Berger | Contre-Temps
4 | The Magnetic Fields | 50 Song Memoir

Favourite song of the week: Laura Nyro | Gibsom Street
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Flavien Berger and Shame are courtesy of my girlfriend ! I didn't actually ask her what she wanted to nominate (I think it would have been more likely Blonde Redhead and some Mats Gustafsson project, probably Fire! Orchestra) but those are 2 albums that I heard a lot in the past 2 years.

2. Shame - Songs of Praise : I didn't love the album the first time I heard it back in 2018, but seeing them live really made me change my mind. Alien Observer is in a strange "a bit too much happens for it to be ambient" zone that didn't fully click with me.
Last edited by Nassim on Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

1 | Tortoise -TNT
2 | Shame - Songs Of Praise
3 | Depeche Mode - Ultra
4 | The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir
LunarPiper
Different Class

Post by LunarPiper »

1. Laura Nyro - New York Tendaberry
2. Shame - Songs of Praise
3. Depeche Mode - Ultra
4. The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Tortoise - TNT
Grouper - A I A: Alien Observer
Stabil Elite - Douze Pouze
The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir

Favorite album I didn't vote for: Laura Nyro - New York Tendaberry
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

50 Song Memoir might be the best thing I've heard by the MFs, I hope to find out for sure in subsequent weeks:

6. Laura Nyro - New York Tendaberry v. 2. Tortoise - TNT
7. Grouper - AIA: Alien Observer v. 4. Shame - Songs of Praise
8. Depeche Mode - Ultra v. 3. Stabil Elite - Douze Pouze
5. Flavien Berger - Contre-Temps v. 1. The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir

Standouts: Gibsom Street | The Suspension Bridge at Iguazú Falls | Alien Observer | Concrete | Freestate | Endecomputer | A reculons | '87: At the Pyramid
All I got inside is vacancy!
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Not sure if I'm gonna have time for everything this week, but I have heard the first two:

Laura Nyro - New York Tendaberry vs. Tortoise - TNT

An amazing post-rock album that plants itself fairly in my all time spreadsheet. Great pick, I'm tempted to put it above the also great MNLWND! I sort of understand the appeal of Laura Nyro, but I didn't like her vocals very much.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

mileswide wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:22 am 50 Song Memoir might be the best thing I've heard by the MFs, I hope to find out for sure in subsequent weeks:
Language!
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Holden wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:25 am
mileswide wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:22 am 50 Song Memoir might be the best thing I've heard by the MFs, I hope to find out for sure in subsequent weeks:
Language!
I mean, the Magnetic Fu... :angry-cussingblack: dammit, that's not it either! I'll just give up while I'm behind :D
All I got inside is vacancy!
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Tortoise - TNT
Shame - Songs of Praise
Depeche Mode - Ultra
Flavien Berger - Contre-Temps
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Of what I have heard, here are the two I will vote for.

Shame - Songs of Praise

The debut album from Shame is a promising debut I would give it around a 75/100. I think that they would definitely go one to make a slightly better album in 2021 but the debut is a good post punk sound. I can't help but notice the unoriginality in the sense that they don't really stand out that much compared to a band like Idles, but I enjoy Songs of Praise and vote for it.

Depeche Mode - Ultra

Depeche Mode's Ultra is one of my favorite albums of all time. On their first album sine the departure of Alan Wilder and their attempts to sober up, Depeche Mode crafted one of their best albums to date. In many ways, Ultra is sonically their darkest sounding album and proved that they were still on the cutting edge of electronic music even by the end of a difficult decade. Not only does this album contain some of their best ever singles, but the second half of this album is filled with some of their most mellow and beautifully composed material such as "Sister of Night" and "The Bottom Line". Dave also seems to grow as a vocalist on this album as we see him utilize a much softer side of his voice. Overall, Depeche Mode proved on Ultra that even after a significant member left the band and almost breaking up, that they still had it in them to create one of the best album of all time.
Edre the Depeche Head
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Four albums shine above the rest (in my opinion): "50 Song Memoir," another brilliantly designed concept album by the absolute-master-of-concept-albums, Stephin Merritt and his MFs (hehe), "Contre-temps," a delicious slice of bedroom synth-pop, "New York Tendaberry," an extreme roller coaster of emotions and vocal nuances by the talented Laura Nyro. And my album of the week, "Ultra," with Depeche Mode rising from the ashes of their (almost) disintegration with an album simultaneously dark and brilliant.

2. Laura Nyro - New York Tendaberry (1969) vs. 5. Tortoise - TNT (1998)
8. Grouper - A I A: Alien Observer (2011) vs. 7. Shame - Songs of Praise (2018)
1. Depeche Mode - Ultra (1997) vs. 6. Stabil Elite - Douze Pouze (2012)
3. Flavien Berger - Contre-temps (2018) vs. 4. The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir (2017)

Favourite song from every album:
Save the Country | I Set My Face to the Hillside | Alien Observer | One Rizla | It's No Good | Milchstraße | Brutalisme | '83: Foxx and I
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Laura Nyro - New York Tendaberry (6/10) vs. Tortoise - TNT (8/10)
Grouper - A I A: Alien Observer (7/10) vs. Shame - Songs of Praise (9/10)
Depeche Mode - Ultra (7/10) vs. Stabil Elite - Douze Pouze (8/10)
Flavien Berger - Contre-temps (6/10) vs. The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir (8/10)
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

A little under 10 hours left to vote, my friends!
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

2. New York Tendaberry > 3. TNT
8. A I A: Alien Observer < 1. Songs of Praise
4. Ultra > 7. Douze Pouze
5. Contre-Temps > 6. 50 Song Memoir
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

No comments this week. Didn't have the time to listen to everything twice, but enough to make an educated vote.
One thing, though. Up til now I thought that the third match-up of every week was the strongest and interesting, but this time it is the weakest by far. Leave it up to my musical nemesises of Depeche Mode to ruin everything again.

2. Laura Nyro - New York Tendaberry vs. 3. Tortoise - TNT
5. Grouper - A I A: Alien Observer vs 4. Shame - Songs of Praise
8. Depeche Mode - Ultra vs. 7. Stabil Elite - Douze Pouze
6. Flavien Berger - Contre-Temps vs. 1. The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Winners in red:

Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks:

Results in mere minutes!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Edre Peraza wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:03 am Of what I have heard, here are the two I will vote for.
Hi Edre Peraza - I'm counting your votes here, but wanted to verify: were you able to listen to the albums these albums were up against?

Thank you!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

20 total voters this week:
acroamor
Bang Jan
bonnielaurel
Brad
DaveC
Edre Peraza
Holden
Honorio
jaimeW
Jirin
Kingoftonga
Listyguy
LunarPiper
mileswide
Rdwdbob
Rob
rumpdoll
Safetycat
Schüttelbirne
spiritualized

Winners:
1. Tortoise - TNT over Laura Nyro - New York Tendaberry 12-7
2. Shame - Songs of Praise over Grouper - A I A: Alien Observer 13-6
3. Stabil Elite - Douze Pouze over Depeche Mode - Ultra 10-9 (OT)
Next vote from someone who has not already voted in this match-up wins![/b]
4. The Magnetic Fields - 50 Song Memoir over Flavien Berger - Contre-Temps 12-5

We have a tie!
Depeche Mode - Ultra vs. Stabil Elite - Douze Pouze TIE! 9-9
Next vote from someone who has not already voted in this match-up wins!

Round 1.6 up next!
Last edited by Brad on Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Stabil Elite - Douze Pouze!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Thank you acroamor!

Stabil Elite - Douze Pouze wins 10-9!
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Brad wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:59 pm
Edre Peraza wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:03 am Of what I have heard, here are the two I will vote for.
Hi Edre Peraza - I'm counting your votes here, but wanted to verify: were you able to listen to the albums these albums were up against?

Thank you!
Yes
Edre the Depeche Head
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Edre Peraza wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:15 pm
Brad wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:59 pm

Thank you!
Yes
Excellent - just wanted to make sure, appreciate the response!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”