Errors in the June 2013 update

Henrik
Site Admin

Errors in the June 2013 update

Post by Henrik »

New error thread.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Henrik
Site Admin

Re: Errors in the June 2013 update

Post by Henrik »

mattschroeder wrote:Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but someone is sure to point it out eventually...

El-P is listed twice (in the "E Artists" list).
Also, I wonder if maybe the listing for "Dexys" should be combined with the listing for "Dexys Midnight Runners", as the former is the same band as the latter, with just a shortened name. Food for thought.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Henrik, you seem to have transposed the titles of Al Green's album Call Me and its title song, "Call Me (Come Back Home)." The song has the parenthetical subtitle; the album doesn't.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Nico's album is Chelsea Girl, not Chelsea Girls.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Erykah Badu's New Amerykah, Pt. 2 has a subtitle just as Pt. 1 did - the full title should be New Amerykah, Pt. 2 (Return of the Ankh).
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Thanks for the update Henrik!

That being said, the pages for "The Top Songs from 2008" and "The Top Albums from 2008" reflect the OLD positions of the songs and albums, not the new ones. This should probably be fixed rather quickly, if you have the time.
Daniel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Daniel »

This is very minor, but "Shake it Out" by Florence + The Machine should actually have the word "It" capitalized, as it is a pronoun [see "Let It Be," "Get It On (Bang a Gong)"].

I also noticed on the page for Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" (and perhaps a few others, I haven't checked), it is listed as one of Grammys' "Top Songs of 2011," when it should say "Record of the Year," as with most other similarly Grammy-nominated/winning tracks.

Also kind of curious to know why Adele's "21" has no mention of winning Album of the Year at the Grammys, when previous winners and nominees of that category have been included.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

It doesn't look like any recent Grammy albums info was part of this update. On a side note, I believe they carry a lower weight than other year-end lists (which would be understandable, given the shoddy history), but not 100% sure on that one.
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

"Laugh Laugh" by the Beau Brummels was released in 1964 as noted on Discogs and Wikipedia.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

The all-time album at the very top of the home page is still Pet Sounds :geek:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Live in Phoenix wrote:The all-time album at the very top of the home page is still Pet Sounds :geek:
Oops, ha ha. I will definitely change this when I get home tonight.

Thanks everyone for your error checks. I will look into them during the week.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

JR wrote:It doesn't look like any recent Grammy albums info was part of this update. On a side note, I believe they carry a lower weight than other year-end lists (which would be understandable, given the shoddy history), but not 100% sure on that one.
I wasn't aware of this, but the Grammys have not been included in the album EOY spreadsheets since 2008. Harold, is this is not a personal bias of yours, is it? :whistle: :D
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Henrik wrote:
JR wrote:It doesn't look like any recent Grammy albums info was part of this update. On a side note, I believe they carry a lower weight than other year-end lists (which would be understandable, given the shoddy history), but not 100% sure on that one.
I wasn't aware of this, but the Grammys have not been included in the album EOY spreadsheets since 2008. Harold, is this is not a personal bias of yours, is it? :whistle: :D
Well, considering that I've only been doing the spreadsheets since 2010... I guess I just assumed the Grammys were one of those sources, like the AMG ratings, that would find their way into the database via other means.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

No problem. I will add Grammy in the next update.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

I do not know if it is normal or should I mention it, but the links from both 2012 albums and songs spreadsheets are broken.

Also, some of the errors that I had found in the EOY songs spreadsheet from 2012 (here: viewtopic.php?p=11070#p11070 ) are kept in this update:
Still missing the accent on Andrés. Some of the fonts created for languages ​​that do not use accents (such as English), can not read these accents and see something else instead. Is that why it should remain without an accent? To me it seems reasonable if that's the reason. Still, I think the most popular international typographies allow the accent.

Also, missing an "r" in "Embarrassing", from Sky Ferreira, and also she is named by name rather than by its surname in the general artists list.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henrik wrote:Thanks everyone for your error checks. I will look into them during the week.
What I think I will do is wait and see what you find before the end of this month and then update the artist pages etc.. Errors found after that will probably not be corrected until the next update.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Blanco wrote:I do not know if it is normal or should I mention it, but the links from both 2012 albums and songs spreadsheets are broken.
I think you've made the same discovery as I did earlier today. I corrected it but you probably need to reload the "year lists" page.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Blanco wrote:Also, some of the errors that I had found in the EOY songs spreadsheet from 2012 (here: viewtopic.php?p=11070#p11070 ) are kept in this update:
Still missing the accent on Andrés. Some of the fonts created for languages ​​that do not use accents (such as English), can not read these accents and see something else instead. Is that why it should remain without an accent? To me it seems reasonable if that's the reason. Still, I think the most popular international typographies allow the accent.

Also, missing an "r" in "Embarrassing", from Sky Ferreira, and also she is named by name rather than by its surname in the general artists list.
Blanco, I will make these changes. How embarassing...
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Henrik wrote:
Blanco wrote:I do not know if it is normal or should I mention it, but the links from both 2012 albums and songs spreadsheets are broken.
I think you've made the same discovery as I did earlier today. I corrected it but you probably need to reload the "year lists" page.
Oh, great! Thank you. It works for me now. But, oh, I'm sorry.... just one more thing: The links remain broken in the updates page. I'm so sorry, I feel that I'm taking up a lot of your time. :|
Henrik wrote:Blanco, I will make these changes. How embarassing...
Hahaha :D ok, now I feel better. :) Have a good day!
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

In "Everything is Embarrassing", you've misspelled Embarrassing.
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

"Half Heaven Half Heartache" by Gene Pitney was released at the end of 1962 according to Discogs and Wikipedia.
mattschroeder
Are You Experienced?

Post by mattschroeder »

Pantha du Prince is listed twice (under the "P" artists).
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

"Thong Song" was on an album released in late 1999. It should be bubbling under for 1999.

"How Bizarre" was released as a single in late 1995, according to Discogs and Wikipedia.
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

According to Wikipedia and Discogs, "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong" and "Life is a Highway" should both be listed under 1991.
lagire
Keep On Movin'

Post by lagire »

The Kills "midnight boom" is 6 on scaruffi rating
mattschroeder
Are You Experienced?

Post by mattschroeder »

Regarding the song "Makin' Whoopee" as performed by Eddie Cantor...

RYM lists this song as being from 1929 (not 1928), and the below link explains that the track was recorded on December 18, 1928 but was not released until April of 1929.

http://victor.library.ucsb.edu/index.ph ... ctor_21831
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

> Procol Harum - Conquistador ( 1967 ) # 2345
Shouldn't this be the live version from 1972? That was the hit version.

> The Stylistics - Betcha By Golly, Wow ( 1972 ) # 2528
This is from 1971. Its on their debut album (The Stylistics) which enetred the Billboard pop albums chart already in December of 1971.

> The Stylistics - You Make Me Feel Brand New ( 1974 ) # 2713
This is from 1973. It's on the Rockin' Roll Baby album which was on the Billboard pop albums chart already in November of 1973.

> Don & Juan - What's Your Name ( 1962 ) # 2858
This is from 1961. It did not become a hit until 1962, but if you check the label number (Big Top 3079) you'll see that it was an earlier release than "So Long Baby" by Del Shannon (Big Top 3083), which was on the Billboard Hot 100 already in September of 1961. It took like 5-6 months before it became a hit.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein ( 1973 ) # 2361
America - A Horse with No Name ( 1972 ) # 2431
Coasters - Charlie Brown (1958)

Henrik, you have the wrong years on these three items. The Edgar Winter is 1972, the America is 1971 and the Coasters record is 1959.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks Hymie, but did you see Honorio's comment in the other thread. It seems that "A Horse With No Name" is from 1972 after all. Also, "Conquistador" will remain 1967 unless the critics who listed the song listed it as the live version.

To me: Albert Ayler's "Spiritual Unity" is 1965 according to RYM.
chet_baker
Start Me Up

Post by chet_baker »

There are no links under 'year lists' to 2010, 11 or 12, and you have to get to them indirectly
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

chet_baker wrote:There are no links under 'year lists' to 2010, 11 or 12, and you have to get to them indirectly
You need to reload the year list frame.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I have corrected all the errors mentioned above, I think. Upcoming error findings will probably not be corrected until next year's site update.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Not an error, just an update-related question, but I noticed that the 03 and 04 song lists (the original end of year excel lists) were erased from the Year List section of the website. Was there a reason for this? Though the statistics might be irrelevant nowadays, I enjoyed looking at the lists just for interesting data purposes. Wondering if you still had versions of those lists, or perhaps others that were erased from the website in the past, still available. Thanks Henrik! :)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Setherex wrote:Not an error, just an update-related question, but I noticed that the 03 and 04 song lists (the original end of year excel lists) were erased from the Year List section of the website. Was there a reason for this? Though the statistics might be irrelevant nowadays, I enjoyed looking at the lists just for interesting data purposes. Wondering if you still had versions of those lists, or perhaps others that were erased from the website in the past, still available. Thanks Henrik! :)
I don't know what happened there, but I've put the links back now. Thanks!
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Henrik wrote:Thanks Hymie, but did you see Honorio's comment in the other thread. It seems that "A Horse With No Name" is from 1972 after all. Also, "Conquistador" will remain 1967 unless the critics who listed the song listed it as the live version.
He could be right about the America record.

I doubt that many of the critics even know the studio version of "Conquistador." It was a little known album track until the live version became a huge hit in 1972. They most likely don't specify the live version because they don't even know that there was an earlier studio version.

BTW, I think I saw somewhere in the forum where you said that albums are weighted twice as much as singles in the overall artist rankings. Is this still the formula?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Hymie wrote:I doubt that many of the critics even know the studio version of "Conquistador." It was a little known album track until the live version became a huge hit in 1972. They most likely don't specify the live version because they don't even know that there was an earlier studio version.
It's the opening track of their most famous album.
Hymie wrote:BTW, I think I saw somewhere in the forum where you said that albums are weighted twice as much as singles in the overall artist rankings. Is this still the formula?
To be exact, the artist list is based 35.4% on the songs list and 64.6% on the albums list, which reflects the amount of data behind the two sources. Again, the artist list is just a summary and shouldn't be taken too seriously.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Henrik wrote:
Hymie wrote:I doubt that many of the critics even know the studio version of "Conquistador." It was a little known album track until the live version became a huge hit in 1972. They most likely don't specify the live version because they don't even know that there was an earlier studio version.
It's the opening track of their most famous album.
Their most famous album in the USA is easily the live album that has the live version of "Conquistador." It was their only top 20 album here, and it's also their only gold album here. Even "A Salty Dog" is more famous here than their first album, which was not even among their 5 best charting albums here. "Grand Hotel" was their second biggest album here.

Your rankings here have "A Salty Dog" ranked much higher than their debut album:

Albums ..................Year Rank Decade All Time
A Whiter Shade of Pale 1967 44 ...297 ...2009
................A Salty Dog 1969 38 ...163 ...1030
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Post by DDD troll account »

Only two of the four lists with "Conquistador" on it are American though, and these two are pretty extensive and probably include a large number of songs that had not been hits in the US.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

pauldrach wrote:Only two of the four lists with "Conquistador" on it are American though, and these two are pretty extensive and probably include a large number of songs that had not been hits in the US.
Their debut album did not even chart in the UK, but the live version of "Conquistador" was top 25 on the UK singles chart. The studio version was never a hit anywhere I don't think.

The wikipedia article about the song is clearly talking about the live version as the one that matters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conquistador_(song)
mattschroeder
Are You Experienced?

Post by mattschroeder »

The link to the "Comets on Fire" page is broken.
mattschroeder
Are You Experienced?

Post by mattschroeder »

The song "I Will Possess Your Heart" by Death Cab for Cutie is misspelled (it's mistakenly spelled "posess" instead of "possess").
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Etta James - Tell Mama was released in 1968 (I believe) - not 1967.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Brad wrote:Etta James - Tell Mama was released in 1968 (I believe) - not 1967.
No, it's definitely 1967 - The single entered the Billboard R&B charts in November of 1967. The flip side is even better - I'd Rather Go Blind.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Hymie wrote:
Brad wrote:Etta James - Tell Mama was released in 1968 (I believe) - not 1967.
No, it's definitely 1967 - The single entered the Billboard R&B charts in November of 1967. The flip side is even better - I'd Rather Go Blind.
Sorry - to clarify, I was referring to the album, not the single (and I agree about the flip side of the single... both songs are excellent!).
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

In The Decemberist's song "Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect", "architect" is misspelled as "architecht".
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik, I see 3 songs listed in 1970 that all should be in 1969.

Didn't I - Delfonics
Give Me Just A Little More Time - Chairmen of the Board
The Ghetto - Donnie Hathaway

They were all released as singles late in 1969. I have seen them all on various radio station surveys in December of 1969.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Polk Salad Annie by Tony Joe White is listed in 1969 but it should be in 1968.

The single is Monument 1104. It was a big hit in France already in January of 1969.

1099 Ray Stevens Isn't It Lonely Together
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Great Escape 1968
1100 Jeannie Seely Little Things
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Love Dies Hard 1968
1101 Dale Ward How Much Can I Give
Saturday's Fool 1968
1102 Ray Corbin Passin' Through
Life Doesn't Move Me 1968
1103 Carl Vaughn Beneath Still Waters
Love Thy Neighbor 1968
1104 Tony Joe White Polk Salad Annie
Aspen Colorado 1968
1105 The Nashville Guitars Bandido
Guantanamera 1968
1106 Henson Cargill Candle For Amy
Wild Flower 1968
1107 Kenny Jones Is This The Way Of The Free
Tale Of A Wooden War 1968
1108 Grandpa Jones I'll Just Keep Living Along
Smoke Smoke Smoke 1968
1109 Ray Pennington Raining In My Heart
My Mind Is No Match For Your Memory 1968
1110 The Smubbs Mr. Open Minded
Rosary Anne 1968
1111 Susan Sands Take Me Home To Your Mama
All Over But The Crying 1968
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Society's Child by Janis Ian should be in 1966, not 1967. It took a long time to make the charts.

RYM has the single as Sep of 1966.

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single ... to_jon_f1/
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

These should all be in 1965.

I Fought The Law - Bobby Fuller Four
RYM even has 1965 on this -http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single ... annie_lou/

These Boots - Nancy Sinatra - It's reviewed in the Dec 25, 1965 issue of Billboard.
http://books.google.com/books?id=bSkEAA ... 32&f=false

Dirty Water - Standells
I have an issue of Cash Box from December 1965 where it is reviewed as a new single.

This should be in 1964.
Hanky Panky - Tommy James & Shondells - It was released on the Snap label early in 1964. Tommy mentions it in his autobiography. RYM has 1963, but that's wrong. It came out in Feb of 1964.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Wipe Out - Surfaris should be in 1962. It came out then on the original label - DFS

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”