Errors in the June 2013 update

Bruce
Feeling Good

Re: Errors in the June 2013 update

Post by Bruce »

These three items that are in 1960 need to be moved.

Let's Have A Party - Wanda Jackson - this was first released on an album in 1958.

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ ... a_jackson/

Theme From A Summer Place - Percy Faith - released in 1959.

It was out already in Sep of 1959 - http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single ... _go_po_go/

Teen Angel - Mark Dinning - released in 1959.
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single ... __baby_f1/
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

These songs that you have in 1958 should be in 1957.

Dedicated To The One I love - 5 Royales
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single ... e_ashamed/

Who's Sorry Now - Connie Francis
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single ... ng_in_love_/

Oh Lonesome Me / I Can't Stop Loving You - Don Gibson - RCA 7133
Reviewed in Dec 31, 1957 issue of Billboard
http://books.google.com/books?id=vx0EAA ... on&f=false

Get A Job - Silhouettes - o0n original label in 1957.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_a_Job_(song)
"Get a Job"
Single by The Silhouettes
B-side "I Am Lonely"
Released November, 1957

Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

These 3 songs that you have in 1957 should be in 1956.

Please Say You Want Me - Schoolboys
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single ... __shirley/

Without Love (There Is Nothing) - Clyde McPhatter
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single ... e_believe/

Party Doll - Buddy Knox
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single ... buddy_knox_/

Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik, in 1955, you have this song title spelled wrong. There's only one n in Manish.

Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Small point, in 1953, the artist on this is actually Little Junior's Blue Flames.

Junior Parker - Mystery Train

Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Bruce wrote:Henrik, in 1955, you have this song title spelled wrong. There's only one n in Manish.[
Bruce, I'm all for accuracy as much as the next person (of course, I'm saying that as someone who just learned that I messed up a year on the new songs spreadsheet), but considering that the song's been universally known as "Mannish Boy" for many years, maybe we can let this one go.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Harold wrote:
Bruce wrote:Henrik, in 1955, you have this song title spelled wrong. There's only one n in Manish.[
Bruce, I'm all for accuracy as much as the next person (of course, I'm saying that as someone who just learned that I messed up a year on the new songs spreadsheet), but considering that the song's been universally known as "Mannish Boy" for many years, maybe we can let this one go.
I don't think that because others have been ignorant to the correct spelling over the years that we should become party to that ignorance. The correct title is Manish Boy.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Bruce wrote:
Harold wrote:
I don't think that because others have been ignorant to the correct spelling over the years that we should become party to that ignorance. The correct title is Manish Boy.
OK. Argument deferred. Welcome back, by the way.

"I'm not gonna debate you, Jerry." - Carl Showalter in Fargo
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

I'm almost glad you're back, Bruce. Next year will be the National Logic Competition. I made a couple of essays in this area, and I've been studying very hard to participate. One of the main topics are the fallacies, which as I said before, you use very well. When I read you were back you made me smile, because unintentionally you will help me study. Thanks :D

My point: From today, I will number each of the times when you talk in this forum inappropriately. Not only when you prove lack of manners, but each of the times you say a fallacy to try to support an argument. In this forum, many prefer to stop arguing with you, not because you are right, but because you do not understand some of the good reasons they give. This is why some prefer to simply not discuss with you. Harold, for example. He is very polite. Unfortunately, I do not. :) I'm interested in non-obvious structures of language, and I am very curious about dogmatic beliefs.

Do you think if we start counting? "bruce" No.1!
Bruce wrote:I don't think that because others have been ignorant to the correct spelling over the years that we should become party to that ignorance. The correct title is Manish Boy.
Talking that way, you want to imply that anyone who thinks differently to you is ignorant. That is not a compelling reason, and is not enough to support your argument.

The Muddy Waters song was first published as "Manish Boy", yes. But curiously, he re-recorded the song many times, as in the 1968 album "Electric Mud". Here the back cover:

Tell me, how is written the name of the song?

Here the back cover of the 1977 album "Hard Again", where he also re-recorded the song:

And here, Muddy "Mississippi" Waters – Live:

Tell me, did Muddy Waters wrote two different songs called almost the same? Do they have very different lyrics? Do they have different chords? In short, are they different songs? No. Oh, and people recognize the song in that way. Do you think that they are ignorant? So for you Muddy Waters was ignorant too, my esteemed fellow. And he wrote the song! Why he would change the name of the song, if the right thing is the way it is written on his first publication? Weird, don't you think? No. The song is called "Mannish Boy".

Anyway… You said earlier that the forum was full of European Communists. Well, all I can say is: Estás equivocado. Aún así, ¡bienvenido de nuevo, mi amigo!
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Blanco wrote: The Muddy Waters song was first published as "Manish Boy", yes. But curiously, he re-recorded the song many times, as in the 1968 album "Electric Mud". Here the back cover:

Tell me, how is written the name of the song?

Here the back cover of the 1977 album "Hard Again", where he also re-recorded the song:

Tell me, did Muddy Waters wrote two different songs called almost the same? Do they have very different lyrics? Do they have different chords? In short, are they different songs? No. Oh, and people recognize the song in that way. Do you think that they are ignorant? So for you Muddy Waters was ignorant too, my esteemed fellow. And he wrote the song! Why he would change the name of the song, if the right thing is the way it is written on his first publication? Weird, don't you think? No. The song is called "Mannish Boy".
A - Muddy Waters did not write the song, Bo Diddley did (as I'm A Man).
B - The version of "Manish Boy" that is acclaimed is the original release, when it was spelled "Manish Boy" with one n. At such time as the version from "Electric Mud" or the version from "Hard Again" becomes acclaimed, then it should be spelled as it is on those albums.
C - Of course Muddy Waters was ignorant. He was an aknowledged illiterate, But that does not matter, as he was not involved with the graphics on the albums. Some boob made a mistake and spelled it with two n's at some point and it continued that way for decades.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Bruce wrote: C - Of course Muddy Waters was ignorant. He was an aknowledged illiterate
And I think Muddy would be the first to aknowledge that he couldn't spell, either.

In any case, please, let's cut this off now, or move it to a different thread. This is an important, necessary thread where errors to the database are identified and aknowledged, and I don't think anyone wants to see it hijacked by arguments, name-calling, derogatory statements about the intelligence or lack thereof of the greatest blues artist in history, etc., etc., ad nauseam and ad nausea. Let's move on, please. This isn't the place.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Harold wrote:the greatest blues artist in history,
BB King might have something to say about that.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Harold wrote:Let's move on, please. This isn't the place.

Ok, you're right. Many things can be said, but not here.

Moving on, I find that the band "Café Tacuba" should be written "Café Tacvba". They changed the spelling to avoid legal problems with a restaurant of the same name, and has since maintained the V in place of U. It sounds the same, anyway.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Hymie wrote:
Harold wrote:the greatest blues artist in history,
BB King might have something to say about that.
Et tu, Hymie? :mrgreen: Fine, one of the greatest blues artists in history.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

:P
Last edited by Blanco on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Blanco wrote:Sorry, I could not help responding. I did not find where to answer, so I could only say it here.
If you couldn't "find where to answer," Blanco, then all you needed to do - as I stated earlier, in a statement with which you seemed to agree - is create a brand-new thread, and keep this apparently ongoing argument out of this one. I agree with pretty much everything you've said in response to Bruce, Blanco - but please note that my earlier comments weren't only directed at him. I'll repeat - THIS IS THE WRONG THREAD FOR THIS. Feel free to start a new thread titled "Bruce's Follies" if you like, but, again, let's move the discussion way the hell out of the error thread before Henrik ends up having to lock it.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

You're right. I'm sorry.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Not a error, but I think that "Os Mutantes" and "Os Novos Baianos" as well as "Los Campesinos!", "Los Del Río", "Los Lobos" and "Los Planetas" should be listed as "Mutantes, Os", "Novos Baianos, Os" "Campesinos!, Los" etc. etc. because "Os" and "Los" are both equivalent to the English "The".
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Come And Get Your Love- Redbone

You have it in 1974 but it belongs in 1973.

Here's a review of the album in a November 1973 issue of Billboard.

http://books.google.com/books?id=EwkEAA ... ve&f=false
o.m.
Different Class

Post by o.m. »

Not a error, but I think that "Os Mutantes" and "Os Novos Baianos" as well as "Los Campesinos!", "Los Del Río", "Los Lobos" and "Los Planetas" should be listed as "Mutantes, Os", "Novos Baianos, Os" "Campesinos!, Los" etc. etc. because "Os" and "Los" are both equivalent to the English "The".
Excellent point Blanco, I did the same remark about a french band called LES RITA MITSOUKO and Henrik took my consideration into account and changed its position from the letter L to R...Concerning your list about Latin music/rock I was so glad to see Duncan Dhu all up with the others cause they were huge in France at the end of the 80's... :whistle:
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Thank you very much, o.m.! And I agree, I like Duncan Dhu too. Here their songs are the kind that, despite the years and nobody-knows-exactly-how, we all know the lyrics very well. And they have good lyrics! Plus, they play very well!
I try to give my two cents hoping to change that there are not many international lists in AM yet, (I mean, lists of Central and South America, Asia and Africa.) So I hope that that list will be accepted for inclusion. :music-listening:
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Again from Café Tacvba, the album "Revés/Yo Soy" should have a space between "Yo" and "Soy".
"Yo soy" means "I am" :)

oh, and Charly García surname needs to be written with an accent. ("accent" is the correct word?)
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

Streisand's "The Way We Were" should be listed under 1973. That's when the film and the single came out. RYM has the single in 1974, but that's clearly wrong as the song entered the Billboard Hot 100 in November 1973.

"Rock the Boat" by Hues Corporation should be in 1973. It was released as a single in 1974, but the song first appeared on the 1973 LP Freedom for the Stallion (as noted by Wikipedia and RYM).

"Jackie Blue" was released in 1974. RYM has the single listed in 1975, but as the site notes, "Jackie Blue" was featured on the It'll Shine When It Shines LP, which was released in 1974.

"Misty Blue," as noted on Wikipedia and Discogs, was released on a small label in the fall of 1975. It went national in 1976.

"Car Wash" was released in the fall of 1976 (as was the movie, for which it was the title track). The single was in the Billboard Top 100 at the end of October. RYM also lists the song as 1976.

"Don't Leave Me This Way" was released in 1976. RYM notes as much. The song debuted in the BIllboard Top 100 in December.

"On the Radio" by Donna Summer should be listed in 1979. Both Wikipedia and RYM have it (and the LP on which it first appeared) being released in the fall of 1979.

"Oops Upside Your Head" should be listed in 1979 according to Wikipedia and RYM.

"Spoonin' Rap" should be listed in 1979 according to Wikipedia and RYM.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Harold wrote:
The song is registered at BMI as Manish Boy.

http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?bln ... ype=WorkID

MANISH BOY (Legal Title)
BMI Work #955922

Alternate Titles:
MANNISH BOY
S I S S Y
SISSY
PANNISH BOY
TISZTELET MUDDY WATERSNEK

Songwriter/Composer Current Affiliation CAE/IPI #
LONDON MELVIN R BMI 18393283
MC DANIEL ELLAS BMI 63640292
MORGANFIELD MC KINLEY BMI 21507427

Publishers
ARC MUSIC BMI 612286859
LONMEL PUBLISHING INC BMI 186736429
WATERTOONS MUSIC BMI 70243409
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Bruce wrote: The song is registered at BMI as Manish Boy.

MANISH BOY (Legal Title)
BMI Work #955922

Alternate Titles:
MANNISH BOY
S I S S Y
SISSY
PANNISH BOY
TISZTELET MUDDY WATERSNEK
This is pretty convincing, I'll concede. Actually, I'm now partial to "Tisztelet Muddy Watersnek," myself.

'Cause I'm a tisztelet
I spell T
I, child
S-Z-T-E-L-E-T!
That represent tisztelet!
No M!
U-D-D-Y, child
W-A-T-E-R-S-N-E-K!
That spells Tisztelet Muddy Watersnek!
Tisztelet!

"Well...everythin'...everythin' gon' be all right tisztelet!"
(Johnny Winter, in background: "Yeah! Wait, what?")
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

:-D :-D :-D
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Harold wrote: Actually, I'm now partial to "Tisztelet Muddy Watersnek," myself.
LOL
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

According to RYM, "She Drives Me Crazy" is 1988. But other sources have it in 1989. Not sure about this one.
mattschroeder
Are You Experienced?

Post by mattschroeder »

Since we're on the subject of classifying artists under a different letter, I might as well bring up something that's been a pet peeve of mine.

It seems to me that bands like a Certain Ratio, a Flock of Seagulls, a Guy Called Gerald, and a Tribe Called Quest should be listed under "C", "F", "G", and "T", respectively (and not "A"). Since the Beatles are classified under "B" because "the" is an article, then "a" and "an" should be similarly "ignored," as they too are articles. Anyone else out there agree/disagree with me on this one?

By the way, I'm not arguing for a reclassification of the band And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead. I think you're correct in putting them under "A". The radio station where I used to work put them under "T" (for "Trail of Dead") and it drove me up the wall.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

mattschroeder wrote: By the way, I'm not arguing for a reclassification of the band And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead. I think you're correct in putting them under "A". The radio station where I used to work put them under "T" (for "Trail of Dead") and it drove me up the wall.
A picky person (I'm not looking at anyone in particular ^^ ) could argue that they should be under # since their official name is ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead
Andrew
I'm New Here

Post by Andrew »

A couple of minor things:

Although the studio version of the Allmans' "Whipping Post" was released in 1969, the live version (which is the one that generally receives the acclaim) was recorded and released in 1971.

"Happy Cycling" by Boards of Canada, which is listed as a 1999 release, first appeared on the 1998 US release of Music Has the Right to Children (http://www.discogs.com/Boards-Of-Canada ... lease/1721).

Thank you, Henrik, for your work this site. I absolutely love it.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

The Pulp song "Sorted for E's & Wizz" is listed under this website as "Sorted by E's and Wizz"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorted_for_E%27s_%26_Wizz

Also, the Kid Rock song "Bawitdaba" is listed as a 1999 song, when it was first released in 1998.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_Without_a_Cause
mattschroeder
Are You Experienced?

Post by mattschroeder »

Nassim wrote:
mattschroeder wrote: By the way, I'm not arguing for a reclassification of the band And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead. I think you're correct in putting them under "A". The radio station where I used to work put them under "T" (for "Trail of Dead") and it drove me up the wall.
A picky person (I'm not looking at anyone in particular ^^ ) could argue that they should be under # since their official name is ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead
Very true. :D
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

On the Beatles' page, for the bubbling unders, "It's All Too Muuch" (Yellow Submarine, 17 January 1969) should be before "I Want You" (Abbey Road, 26 September 1969)

Even though "Crazy In Love" is listen on Jay-Z's page, he is not credited as a featuring artist anywhere else

"Stylo" was in the list of "1001 song to hear before you die" but this list is not shown on the songs page (there could be others, but this si the only one I noticed)

"My Heart Will Go On" is in the top 3000
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
o.m.
Different Class

Post by o.m. »

CALIFORNIA LOVE was released in December 1995
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Love
PUSH IT was released first on this album in 1986
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot,_Cool_%26_Vicious
GO was released in 1990
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(Moby_song)
SHOW ME LOVE was first released in the U.K. in 1990
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_Me_Lo ... n_S._song)
STEP IN THE ARENA was an album released in 1991
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step_in_the_arena
DWYCK was released in 1994
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_to_Earn
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

"Vertige de l'amour" by Alain Bashung is included in Gilles Verlant & Thomas Caussé's list of 3000 rock classics, however it is not mentioned in the song's page on AM.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

o.m. wrote:PUSH IT was released first on this album in 1986
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot,_Cool_%26_Vicious
I looked at that earlier this week, it is clearly stated in the wikipedia page you're giving the link to that it was only added to the album tracklist in 87 and wasn't in the original release !
o.m.
Different Class

Post by o.m. »

Well spotted Nassim...
jimmyj
Strange Fruit

Post by jimmyj »

Where is Van Morrison in the alphabetical artist listing?
jimmyj
Strange Fruit

Post by jimmyj »

My bad. Sorted under M not V. Lol
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

The Acclaimed Music banner shows Randy Newman's cover for "12 Songs" as his most acclaimed album, while his true most acclaimed album is "Sail Away".
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

This may or may not be a big error, but on the page for The White Stripes' "Elephant" there is a "5" on the top line, but no source next to it. Does that 5 actually pertain to a list, or is it just a dangling entry that is affecting Elephant's placement? If the latter, that would be major.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

irreduciblekoan wrote:This may or may not be a big error, but on the page for The White Stripes' "Elephant" there is a "5" on the top line, but no source next to it. Does that 5 actually pertain to a list, or is it just a dangling entry that is affecting Elephant's placement? If the latter, that would be major.
It's not just Elephant - that dangling top-line entry is present on a large number of albums from the 2000s. Fortunately, I was able to find the solution by checking the numbers against the lists on the end-of-decade spreadsheet; they're the rankings from the Kitsap Sun list of the 101 best albums of the decade. Henrik, is this list actually included, with those rankings counted? Do you just need to restore the source name to the album pages?
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

Ah, that explains it. Thanks for checking, Harold! I think I can now relax and take the rankings as accurate, since, if I remember correctly, the Kitsap Sun list was counted on the last update. I'm assuming it is still counted, unless Henrik says different.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Yeah, I just need to update with a link on those pages. Thanks for the find.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik, I just discovered that "Dead Man's Curve" by Jan & Dean was out already in 1963 on their "Drag City" album. I am moving it to 1963 on the DDD year lists. You also have it in 1964 right now. It needs to be moved to 1963.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Bruce wrote:These Boots - Nancy Sinatra - It's reviewed in the Dec 25, 1965 issue of Billboard.
http://books.google.com/books?id=bSkEAA ... 32&f=false
Hi Bruce,
I don't know if it is the case here, but just so you know the AM year should be the year of the first physical (or at least commercial now that some albums are sold on the internet) release, if a song has been recorded, aired on the radio and reviewed in a year Y but only available on sales on Y+1 (whether it is in an album, as a single or as a B-Side), then Y+1 is the "AM year".
McJagger
Strange Fruit

Post by McJagger »

The entry for The Normal's "Warm Leatherette" should include the Matthew Ingrams ("WOEBOT") list "The 100 Greatest Records Ever." The song is no. 93 on that last.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

"Various Artists" is listed as an artist. I don't know the other albums, but "Tropicália ou Panis et Circencis" is an album by:

Gilberto Gil
Caetano Veloso
Os Mutantes
Nara Leão
Gal Costa
Tom Zé
(as performers)

and
Torquato Neto
Capinam
(with lyrical contributions)

Listed first by name or article. This are a lot of artist, but this time I think they deserve the same recognition for the development of the album, (at least the performers) because it is a collaborative album, not a compilation. Besides that, if they were listed correctly that would greatly increase their individual statistics in AM, and that would surely make them happy.
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

"KIngs of the WIld Frontier" should be listed under 1980, which is when the single and the album were first released.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”