A map of the most acclaimed artist from each US state!

Henrik
Site Admin

A map of the most acclaimed artist from each US state!

Post by Henrik »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwarz/a ... -acclaimed

Thanks to Hunter Schwarz from BuzzFeed! It's a beauty, isn't it?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: A map of the most acclaimed artist from each US state!

Post by Stephan »

It really is. I love how all the Facebook comments are attacking the 'choices' rather than just simply enjoying the map; perfect example of why it's been a few weeks since I've last been on Facebook.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Stephan wrote:It really is. I love how all the Facebook comments are attacking the 'choices' rather than just simply enjoying the map; perfect example of why it's been a few weeks since I've last been on Facebook.
Great idea and execution. But, I was bummed that VU was chosen to represent the great state of NY :angry-banghead:
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Awesome! Stevie Wonder the most acclaimed artist from my home state of Michigan: I'll take it! (I also found it amusing that the most acclaimed artist from my wife's home state is Slipknot, given how much she hates hard rock. Although, technically, she is originally from Laos, so I'm sure there are several artists from Laos that she'd much rather claim!)
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

This reminded me of a thought I had a while ago but never actually posed to the forum: which state has given us the best music? I'd say it has to be between New York and California (although Washington and Minnesota are definitely up there). Being from NY, I'm a bit partial :whistle:
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

I feel really bad for Iowa..
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

This reminded me of a thought I had a while ago but never actually posed to the forum: which state has given us the best music? I'd say it has to be between New York and California (although Washington and Minnesota are definitely up there). Being from NY, I'm a bit partial
I'd say that Georgia is definitely up there too with six artists in the top 100.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Mattceinicram wrote:I feel really bad for Iowa..
Well, I personaly still consider the first half of their self-titled album as one of the best moments in the history of metal. That and the fact that not many bands come from there anyway ^^

Idaho for the win !
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The Facebook comments are pretty hilarious.

"ME NEVER HEARD OF THESE BANDS THEREFORE THEY BAD! LIST NEED MORE REPETITIVE MAINSTREAM DRECK OR ELSE BAD!"

Is there anybody on the internet who takes other peoples' lists as sources of entertainment and recommendation instead of demanding they be a reaffirmation of their own biases? Never heard of Janelle Monae, how about look her up on Spotify instead of bitching about it. Once you've listened to her music, then you've earned the right to say she sucks.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

I don't take the artists list on AM seriously anyways, since it's just based on the songs and albums lists. If it were based on actual critics' lists of the best artists, I think it would look VERY different.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Jirin wrote:The Facebook comments are pretty hilarious.

"ME NEVER HEARD OF THESE BANDS THEREFORE THEY BAD! LIST NEED MORE REPETITIVE MAINSTREAM DRECK OR ELSE BAD!"

Is there anybody on the internet who takes other peoples' lists as sources of entertainment and recommendation instead of demanding they be a reaffirmation of their own biases? Never heard of Janelle Monae, how about look her up on Spotify instead of bitching about it. Once you've listened to her music, then you've earned the right to say she sucks.
Welcome to every single commentator on every single internet "best of" music list ever. I swear, the day I see a comment that reads something like "you know, this list is pretty good. I don't agree with everything on it, but it does have a lot of good albums/songs/artists on it" is the day pigs fly. Instead every commentator seems to try to present themselves as this pseudo-contratrian, "my opinions are objectively better than yours" type figure who can only spout the same old "THIS LIST IS TOTAL SHIT BECAUSE IT HAS A COUPLE THINGS I LIKE MISSING AND A COUPLE THINGS I DON'T LIKE INCLUDED".
Tyler1618
Debut

Post by Tyler1618 »

Found your site from the Facebook post. Nice work and congratulations on all the attention you are getting from the map.

I have a quibble with the list, however. Johnny Cash is listed as the top artist from Tennessee, but he was born in Arkansas. If the list is based on the fact that he lived in Tennessee, then Elvis Presley should be listed as top artist from Tennessee.

Personally, I'd prefer if you stuck with birthplace/formed in as the criteria because that would make Big Star the top artist from my home state ;)
VanillaFire1000
Let's Get It On

Post by VanillaFire1000 »

I still hold that my home state, New Jersey, has the best stuff. More Jazz than most too. Like half the greatest jazz albums ever were recorded here.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik wrote:http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwarz/a ... -acclaimed

Thanks to Hunter Schwarz from BuzzFeed! It's a beauty, isn't it?
Pretty cool. I did a similar thing on DDD listing the 10 greatest artists who were born in each state. If the act was a group all the main members had to be born in that state for them to qualify.

http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_ ... tists.html

For some of the small states I had to list like local musicians who never really had any hits.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”