The Acclaimed Music Artists Poll 2013 : Results

Nick
Running Up That Hill

Re: The Acclaimed Music Artists Poll 2013 : Results

Post by Nick »

I had no idea Hank Williams was only ranked at 237 on AM. Before the last update I swear he was ranked in a pretty respectable position on the top 200. What's the reason for the big drop?

Speaking of a big drops, I'm a bit disappointed with the big drop by Oasis. But I bet there are just as many people who are angry just seeing them on this list to begin with. They're a somewhat....divisive band.

At least there's going to be one 90's artist that will probably maintain a pretty high ranking. The one with those 5 guys from Britain who made albums like "Alright Calculator" and "Child B" or some nonsense like that :P
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Nick wrote:I had no idea Hank Williams was only ranked at 237 on AM. Before the last update I swear he was ranked in a pretty respectable position on the top 200. What's the reason for the big drop?
Maybe because more album lists have been added into rankings? I think too that songs should account for more.
I feel like that
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

New Order) The moment I listened to Age of Consent for the first time, I was converted. Still think Power Corruption and Lies is their greatest achievement, but they did kept going consistently throughout the years. That leads me to Wilco. Few artists that arrived during the 90s kept recording great music throughout last decade and I feel Wilco is a strong contender, alongside Radiohead, for the greatest of them all. They outdid themselves from Being There to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and a Ghost is Born just failed in doing it because of exceeding high expectations. I confess I wasn't hooked by their two follow ups to that great record. I remember Jonathon commenting in the old forum that they made the transition to a great live act rather than the greater album band they used to be during the height of their acclaim. I haven't seen them live, so I couldn't arrive at the conclusion that they aged gracefully. Sky Blue Sky and their self-titled are usually described as the daddy-rock of the X Generation, but honestly, the former makes better sense with time, even if I disagree with colleagues I studied with at College and still think A Ghost is Born did sadness and introspection better. Can't think of many peers that gave aging a good name.

Jacques Brel) Great story, Dan! Mine was when I wanted to study french badly. I knew Serge. I knew Hardy. I knew Bardot and Karina. My favorite Scott Walker record is Scott 3; that record has absolutely one of the greatest use of strings in the whole of popular music. Big Louise, Copenhagen, Rosemary, many highlights, plenty of gorgeous playing. Funeral Tango contained some of my favorite lines by Scott Walker. I always thought he was some kind of spiritual predecessor to the greatest male vocalists of the 70s. I didn't know it was a version. "Of a belgian artist called Jacques Brel, recorder ofNe Me Quitte Pas". That song was overplayed in Brazil because of a version by Maysa. Actually, those were still days I used to feel that older artists that recorded such recordings weren't worthy dig for -- they never wrote the material, they lacked the crystalline honesty of the 70s characters that went to makes the days brighter. Still, I checked his version of the song. I was impressed by his technique. Still, it took Ce Gens la to fully convert me. Brel is my first example when people came to me to argue about how the first decades of pop recorded belonged only to anglo-saxonian music. Brazil has its share of hidden gems, but Brel's influence is felt everywhere, in any language. When I think of Francophone music, I think of him. If Gainsbourg is to francophone music what Godard was to movies; Brel is like Alain Resnais: a visionary that anticipated a wave of interesting concepts, terrific executions wrapped in gorgeous arrangements, thought-provoking lyrics in otherwise well-known subjects. Vive la France!
Last edited by HRS on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Henrik wrote:There's a slight overweight of '90s artists so far though. It seems that many of these artists were pushed down but within the top 100, rather than being pushed outside of it.
2 in, 2 out for the 90s (based on most acclaimed album, so that's considering Daft Punk is 90s which is open to discussions)
Thanks to Hymie and Bruce, Pre 60s have 4 more artists than they used to (based on most acclaimed album once again, at least another entry having lots of pre 60s acclaimed music).
60s stay stable with as many in as out
The 70s have more new entries (5) but are on the other saying goodbye to 3 others.
80s is the real loser, with 5 artists out and only Kate Bush in (that's sort of a spoiler in case you were rooting for Kajagoogoo, but no 80s band that didn't make it last time were even remotely close to sneak in this time)
And the new millenium also said goodbye to 3 artists/bands, 2 of them being fairly predictable I think. On the other hand, we have a new entry there... also fairly predictable based on any recent AM poll.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

80. Beck

I imagine I'd have a chance to like Sea Change, but I have been put off by so much of his stuff ("Loser", "Where It's At", etc.) that I've never given him a chance. I do like "E-Pro", though.

79. The Temptations

I admire their place in musical history more than I do their actual music.

78. Hank Williams

I fear I'll always remain someone who is a countryphobe. I wish I could be as open-minded as many of the posters here on AM are, but there are certain elements of music that are simply irritating to my ears, and twang might just be the most.

77. Oasis

And yet, I'd listen to Hank Williams 1000x over these guys. This pretty much sums up my thoughts on Oasis.

76. Kate Bush

And we finish off the 5 with an artist who has steadily climbed my own personal list over the last several years. "Cloudbusting" was my first hook, and Hounds of Love was my first treat, but The Dreaming and especially Never For Ever have made her an artist I really, really love.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Nassim wrote: 80s is the real loser, with 5 artists out and only Kate Bush in (that's sort of a spoiler in case you were rooting for Kajagoogoo, but no 80s band that didn't make it last time were even remotely close to sneak in this time)
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Moonbeam wrote:
Nassim wrote: 80s is the real loser, with 5 artists out and only Kate Bush in (that's sort of a spoiler in case you were rooting for Kajagoogoo, but no 80s band that didn't make it last time were even remotely close to sneak in this time)
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Surprisingly enough, of the 2 artists you voted for who left the top 100, none is from the 80s :P
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

HRS wrote: Jacques Brel) I knew Serge. I knew Hardy. I knew Bardot and Karina. My favorite Scott Walker record is Scott 3; that record has absolutely one of the greatest use of strings in the whole of popular music. Big Louise, Copenhagen, Rosemary, many highlights, plenty of gorgeous playing. Funeral Tango contained some of my favorite lines by Scott Walker. I always thought he was some kind of spiritual predecessor to the greatest male vocalists of the 70s. I didn't know it was a version. "Of a belgian artist called Jacques Brel, recorder ofNe Me Quitte Pas". That song was overplayed in Brazil because of a version by Maysa. Actually, those were still days I used to feel that older artists that recorded such recordings weren't worthy dig for -- they never wrote the material, they lacked the crystalline honesty of the 70s characters that went to makes the days brighter. Still, I checked his version of the song. I was impressed by his technique. Still, it took Ce Gens la to fully convert me. Brel is my first example when people came to me to argue about how the first decades of pop recorded belonged only to anglo-saxonian music. Brazil has its share of hidden gems, but Brel's influence is felt everywhere, in any language. When I think of Francophone music, I think of him. If Gainsbourg is to francophone music what Godard was to movies; Brel is like Alain Resnais: a visionary that anticipated a wave of interesting concepts, terrific executions wrapped in gorgeous arrangements, thought-provoking lyrics in otherwise well-known subjects. Viva le France!
:text-goodpost:

And... :text-goodpost:

And... er... :text-goodpost:

Love the way you describe your feelings about music.
...will keep us together.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

I'm really really sorry for not voting in the end, because I really wanted to just refresh my lists and get something done. But I've been less into music than before - I've listened to basically no new albums and have just relistened to safe songs and albums that I like. I haven't made a new album list (something I used to do monthly) for over half a year!

The beginning of my artist list from 6 months ago looked like this:

1 - Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention
2 - Bob Dylan
3 - David Bowie
4 - The Rolling Stones
5 - The Clash
6 - Kanye West
7 - Pavement
8 - Bruce Springsteen
9 - Pixies
10 - Ween
11 - Kraftwerk
12 - Talking Heads
13 - Joanna Newsom
14 - Sigur Ros
15 - The Beatles
16 - The Wrens
17 - Radiohead
18 - Slint
19 - The Velvet Underground
20 - Joy Division
-
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Very good list, so far!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

9/100 artists on my list so far! Beck was a contender for my list, but ultimately was left off. Regarding New Order, again, like the VU and Lou Reed, I opted for Joy Division instead. Very interesting list so far! A diverse representation of different eras, styles, and genres of pop, a decent showing for female performers, and I would like to echo hurrahs for Brel making the Top 100!
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

13/100 artists from my list!
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

JimmyJazz wrote:Very interesting list so far! A diverse representation of different eras, styles, and genres of pop, a decent showing for female performers.
Agreed.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Brel in the forum top 100 !! Great.
Poliuks
Wannabe

Post by Poliuks »

Excited about the results! Not quite what I predicted (indie artists seem to be dropping like flies), but surprises are always welcomed. With 25 artists we already have a representative of every decade since 1930s - that's quite an achievement! 4 out of 52 from my list are already here.
Parliament/Funkadelic - their gargantuan, frenetic dance jams contain so much vital energy that they almost convinced me George Clinton discovered the mystery of life. And there is also, of course, THAT guitar solo.
Steely Dan - a band that never wanted to be above it all; they would rather be beside it. No pomp, no great emotions; just easy-but-not-too-easy pleasure from two smart guys just doing their job, and doing it as damn good as if nothing else mattered. When the apocalypse arrives, I want to be in the Steely Dan's studio.
Oasis - first of all, sorry Moonbeam! I can completely understand why one could hate them - sometimes I wonder why I like this bunch of arrogant white males with big sound, big ambitions and big egos so much. But, at least for me, at its best their songwriting is so outstanding that it almost justifies their pretensions.
Al Green - possibly the sexiest singer I've ever heard!
It feels a bit strange that McCartney is ranked in top 100. I've never thought he is a forum favorite and his output in other polls seems rather minor. Nothing against him, of course.
Nassim, I may be wrong, but I think album poll took place in 2011 and song poll in 2012. Great job otherwise!
Last edited by Poliuks on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Brad wrote:
Nassim wrote:Coming a bit later will be one specific case where I am not 100% convinced that it was the right thing to do, but we will get to that.
EC? or BS?
NC
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Nassim wrote:
Henrik wrote:There's a slight overweight of '90s artists so far though. It seems that many of these artists were pushed down but within the top 100, rather than being pushed outside of it.
2 in, 2 out for the 90s (based on most acclaimed album, so that's considering Daft Punk is 90s which is open to discussions)
Thanks to Hymie and Bruce, Pre 60s have 4 more artists than they used to (based on most acclaimed album once again, at least another entry having lots of pre 60s acclaimed music).
60s stay stable with as many in as out
The 70s have more new entries (5) but are on the other saying goodbye to 3 others.
80s is the real loser, with 5 artists out and only Kate Bush in (that's sort of a spoiler in case you were rooting for Kajagoogoo, but no 80s band that didn't make it last time were even remotely close to sneak in this time)
And the new millenium also said goodbye to 3 artists/bands, 2 of them being fairly predictable I think. On the other hand, we have a new entry there... also fairly predictable based on any recent AM poll.
I really want to make some predictions on who's out and who's in, but I don't want to spoil this for anybody potentially.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

DaveC wrote:
Brad wrote:
Nassim wrote:Coming a bit later will be one specific case where I am not 100% convinced that it was the right thing to do, but we will get to that.
EC? or BS?
NC
No, no hesitation here neither. I start to think I made the wrong call !

Despite one severe drop, nothing too surprising in tonight's batch

75) Massive Attack
264,6 points / 16 votes
AM Rank : 73
2010 poll rank : 62

2008 poll rank : 45

Top Albums (2011 poll) :
Mezzanine (193)
Blue Lines (213)

Top Songs (2012 poll) :
Unfinished Sympathy (104)
Teardrop (121)
Angel (398)

Biggest Fans :
Henrik (9)
Poliuks (24)
Gillingham (32)

74) LCD Soundsystem
265,5 points / 10 votes
AM Rank : 65
2010 poll rank : 44

2008 poll rank : 100

Top Albums (2011 poll) :
Sound of Silver (64)
This Is Happening (222)
LCD Soundsystem (266)

Top Songs (2012 poll) :
All My Friends (44)
Losing My Edge (284)
Someone Great (386)

Biggest Fans :
Nassim (5)
Mattceinicram (14)
Nick (14)
Moonbeam (16)

73) Brian Eno
271,4 points / 9 votes
AM Rank : 78
2010 poll rank : 81

2008 poll rank : 66

Top Albums (2011 poll) :
Another Green World (146)
Here Come the Warm Jets (381)

Top Songs (2012 poll) :
Golden Hours (584)
By This River (629)
Needles In The Camel's Eye (656)
Baby's on Fire (850)
The Big Ship (939)

Biggest Fans :
Jackson (3)
sonofsamiam (11)
Merlo (17)

72) The National
273,6 points / 9 votes
AM Rank : 163
2010 poll rank : 79

2008 poll rank : 131

Top Albums (2011 poll) :
Boxer (107)
High Violet (185)
Alligator (204)

Top Songs (2012 poll) :
Fake Empire (321)
Mr. November (478)
Bloodbuzz Ohio (696)
Runaway (838)
Ada (849)

Biggest Fans :
Gillingham (8)
Stephan (10)
Kingoftonga (15)
Slick (16)

71) Elton John
277,8 points / 14 votes
AM Rank : 95
2010 poll rank : 82

2008 poll rank : 175

Top Albums (2011 poll) :
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (283)

Top Songs (2012 poll) :
Your Song (209)
Tiny Dancer (346)
Rocket Man (352)

Biggest Fans :
Stone37 (14)
Bruno (21)
Henry (25)

Number 70 on the other hand I didn't see coming, he/she/they was/were the lowest ranked AM top 100 artist/band after half of the ballots were in (and still on the bottom 5 after reaching 2/3 of the votes). Any bet ?
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

So far Elton is my favorite act to appear on the list, and he was only around 40 on my list I believe. So no real favorites yet.
Nassim wrote: Number 70 on the other hand I didn't see coming, he/she/they was/were the lowest ranked AM top 100 artist/band after half of the ballots were in (and still on the bottom 5 after reaching 2/3 of the votes). Any bet ?
Hmm...my guess would have to be either Zappa or Patti Smith.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Nassim wrote: Number 70 on the other hand I didn't see coming, he/she/they was/were the lowest ranked AM top 100 artist/band after half of the ballots were in (and still on the bottom 5 after reaching 2/3 of the votes). Any bet ?

Charles Mingus, Nick Cave, Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa, or Patti Smith are the only ones that come to mind.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

I'm going with Nick Cave on that one!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I say either Mingus or Cave.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

#70 = Charles Mingus
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Oh my ... Elton John is already gone :o
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Nassim wrote:Moderately Acclaimed Albums poll, AM Foreign World Cup or just constant support for his most fervent supporters helped Mr Jacques (born in the suburb I currently live in) score his best result so far. What could have been if Honorio had sent a ballot is up to your imagination.
Henrik wrote:Now that's a great group! I'm so happy to see Brel in this list (even without Honorio's vote! (where are you btw? - I miss you!)). For the record, he was my #47.
Hi guys. Sorry Nassim for not participating. I didn't want to send again the same list I sent in 2008 and 2010 and I had no time enough to update it properly. Sadly I'm tremendously busy right now (apart of my exhausting daily work I'm preparing three conferences for next month) and I decided to participate only in a few games here (even if I read many of the other threads). And you can expect one of my exhasutive posts about The Beatles really soon.
And yes, Nassim, Brel was my #25, with my vote he could be even higher. Nassim, absolutely gorgeous presentation and comments!!
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Bruno wrote:Oh my ... Elton John is already gone :o
I'm surprised to even see him in the top 100. Wouldn't think of him as a popular artist here. But apparently he also did quite well in 2010.
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Post by DDD troll account »

Nassim wrote:
DaveC wrote:
Brad wrote: EC? or BS?
NC
No, no hesitation here neither. I start to think I made the wrong call !
It has to be an artist who actually received separate votes both solo and with ensemble. PS maybe? Or MJ? If so, I'd agree it was probably the wrong call.
Dan wrote:#70 = Charles Mingus
It would be a cryin' shame if he ended up that low. Are there really that few jazz freaks out here?
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Well you guys are harder than me to surprise cause #70 is indeed (sorry pauldrach)

70) Charles Mingus
281,2 points / 8 votes
AM Rank : 94
2010 poll rank : 165

2008 poll rank : 118

Top Albums (2011 poll) :
The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (104)
Mingus Ah Um (239)

Top Songs (2012 poll) :
Modes D, E, F: Trio and Group Dancers, Single Solos and Group Dance, Group and Solo Dance (200)
The Shoes of The Fisherman's Wife Are Some Jive-Ass Slippers (594)

Biggest Fans :
pauldrach (6)
sonofsamiam (6)
Dan (11)
Jackson (17)

69) Curtis Mayfield / The Impressions
285,3 points / 14 votes
AM Rank : 120
2010 poll rank : 103

2008 poll rank : 101

Top Albums (2011 poll) :
Superfly (109)
Curtis (297)

Top Songs (2012 poll) :
Move on Up (231)
Right on for The Darkness (365)
People Get Ready (with the Impressions) (388)
Freddie's Dead (989)

Biggest Fans :
sonofsamiam (8)
Henrik (16)
Hymie (21)

Ok, so here is the one I am not confident with. I got 2 votes for The Impressions, 1 for "Curtis Mayfield and the Impression" and 11 for Curtis Mayfield. If is wasn't for the "Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions" vote I would have probably counted them separatedly.
If I didn't count the 2 votes for The Impressions, Curtis ended up 84. If I didn't count the vote for "Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions", Curtis ended up 88. So top 100 material anyway !

68) Fleetwood Mac
289,1 points / 14 votes
AM Rank : 88
2010 poll rank : 114

2008 poll rank : 112

Top Albums (2011 poll) :
Rumours (68)

Top Songs (2012 poll) :
Go Your Own Way (173)
The Chain (614)
Rhiannon (844)

Biggest Fans :
jamieW (13)
Henrik (22)
DocBrown (24)

Another first timer in our top 100 that I didn't really see coming !

67) Ramones
289,9 points / 12 votes Image
AM Rank : 56
2010 poll rank : 59

2008 poll rank : 75

Top Albums (2011 poll) :
Ramones (168)
Rocket to Russia (408)

Top Songs (2012 poll) :
Blitzkrieg Bop (280)
Sheena Is a Punk Rocker (334)

Biggest Fans :
Maximumbeef (4)
Poliuks (7)
Blanco (17)

66) Aretha Franklin
291,8 points / 15 votes
AM Rank : 28
2010 poll rank : 90

2008 poll rank : 114

Top Albums (2011 poll) :
I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You (236)
Lady Soul (444)

Top Songs (2012 poll) :
Respect (75)
Think (384)
Chain of Fools (464)
I Say a Little Prayer (705)

Biggest Fans :
Hymie (7)
Bruno (9)
stone37 (20)

Still far from her AM ranking, Lady Soul keeps climbing with every poll.
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Nassim wrote:Well you guys are harder than me to surprise cause #70 is indeed (sorry pauldrach)

Charles Mingus
Well, I see now that it's the first time he actually made the top 100 and considering that, #70 is a very respectable spot I guess. Still I see room for improvement here.

Imo grouping Mayfield and the Impressions together is perfectly fine, especially since Mayfield would've been here anyway and The Impressions wouldn't.
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Below AC/DC and GnR after half of the ballots... Jesus.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Dan wrote:
Love the way you describe your feelings about music.
:P Thanks, Dan! We haven't spoken about it for quite a while! Miss speaking to you!

- Surprised to see Elton John around the top 100. Not an artist people express much lover around here. It's double surprising when you check his performance in others polls. Although he placed a record inside the poll and a few singles, I would never deduce by their performance a top 100 spot.

-At first I was sad to see Mingus too soon, but then I realised the ideia that he made it through is much more important -- so I'm glad. His records are very underrated by music critics in comparison to releases by other Jazz greats -- even if many of them were praised enough to place him inside AM top 100 -- and to see him making our top 100 is a breath of fresh air, especially in comparison to previous appearances in other artist's polls. Jazz is always welcoming.

- Fleetwood Mac seems to appear out of nowhere. I remember my first AM poll as a spectator, the 70s poll, and how a controversy surrounding Rumours ensued. Some thought it was foolish to see a pop album ahead of other classics, others found the top 50 placement disappointing, since the album is such a mass-critical classic. It's funny to watch such an accessible band divide opinions over its merits, but I am actually surprised it never made the AM Top 100 before and they are making it now for the first time; I could swear it would had been the other way around! Anyway, my problem with Fleetwood Mac is that they suffer from identity crisis and I honestly take consistency very seriously when it comes to great artists lists. Fleetwood Mac has seen many incarnations and I don't know if a 4 year span is enough to qualify a whole -- we had the original band; the transition blues band; the pop royalty; the striving for survive 80s band; the adult contemporary current incarnation.

- Ramones. Well, I personally don't like them. I won't use the popular argument that all their songs are the same; they never aroused interest. When it comes to American punk, I usually tend to enjoy the proto days or Richard Hell more than the other ones. I feel the british did punk better during the first two waves. Can't deny their legacy; it seems to stretch as far as Deerhunter's Monomania. And also T-Shirts. There was a recent online controversy here in Brazil because girls and boys were using shirts of the band around Rock in Rio with no idea whatsoever who they were, their songs, their albums. Anything. Same girls who think Jack Daniels is a band and proudly wear those t-shirts, too. I feel this encapsulates Ramones well as a cultural icon that transcended not only their scene, but the music sphere and that's a feat in itself. It also helps that most people who understand better than those girls associate american punk rock -- or punk rock in general -- with them and seem to enjoy their music a lot.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Nice to see Charles Mingus in the last batch. It shouldn't be a surprise but is is.

Though I do think he receives quite a bit of acclaim from critics. I always see him as the third jazz musician/composer/bandleader behind the obvious Davis and Coltrane. His out put is huge, too.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

A few comments so far:

My Bloody Valentine: Before the last couple years they were the toughest band for me to rank, but now that they have the new album (which is already in my top 100) and I've heard all their EPs (which are incredible) they've settled nicely into my #2 spot. I think their basic sound is the best ever of any band's. I hope Kevin Shields keeps his promise to release more new material I get to experience more works in MBV's one of a kind world.

Brian Eno: Solid placement for my number 3 artist in this poll. I think Eno may have been the best singular musical mind of our era. My placement only reflected his solo output and collaborations, but when you consider his work with Roxy Music, David Bowie, Talking Heads, U2, it's simply incredible how creative he was and how he was able to get career-best works out of other legendary artists. His run of his first four solo albums in the 70s is probably my favorite ever for any artist.

Blur: Sad to see them drop to 90 in this poll. I've been really into them recently, and I think they might be the best singles artist of the 90s. People really like Oasis more? They can't touch this band, who changed up their sound quite a bit over the decade (think of how different Parklife sounds from 13) while retaining the same great songwriting abilities.

Mingus was a weird one for me to rate. I love Black Saint and several other songs, but I rarely ever listen to him. 17 seems a bit high, but I'm sure if I re-listened to his output I'd agree with the placement.

Ramones: the more I listen the more I realize their huge influence is also backed by fantastic songwriting abilities. They deserve their legendary status far more than the Sex Pistols.

New Order: I wonder how high a combined Joy Division / New Order entrant would place. I ranked Joy Division a few spots higher on my list but New Order will likely pass them. I had them both around 50 but together they'd be top 20. On their own, however, I am a little surprised by how low this forum rates them. Their singles haven't excelled in the 80s poll quite like a would've expected.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

HRS wrote:Miss speaking to you!
Sorry that I’ve neglected you, my friend. I’m at a crossroads where I have to make decisions about my future that will affect nearly every aspect of my life. It’s a bad habit of mine to shut people out at times like these, while the necessary thoughts go round and round my head. Like a fucking washing machine. :mrgreen: But I miss our communications too. I’ve just sent you a PM about catching up on Skype.

To echo the view of other fans, I’m also pleased that Charles Mingus has finally cracked our top 100. Incidentally, as with Jacques Brel, it all started with a specific piece of music for me. When I heard “Better Git It in Your Soul”, the opening track of Mingus Ah Um, I thought: Hey, hang on, what’s this… a fabulous piece of spiritual/gospel music that is rooted in a very, very focused style of jazz. The rest of the album continued to impress me because it seemed to draw inspiration from a refreshing variety of influences. And when I listened to other Mingus albums it was this sense of focused eclecticism that made me appreciate him so much.

He ought to be placed higher next time round.
Maximumbeef
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Maximumbeef »

It’s tough talking about the Ramones without repeating the last conversation you had about the Ramones, but I'll try…. I’ve seen Daft Punk categorized as euphoria –simply labeling them electronica or EDM doesn’t describe their music well enough to the ears of Daft Punk fans. If I had to put the Ramones in a genre it would be that euphoria genre, not punk rock. All their songs have the same certain sound initially, but their best songs are just too giddy to be put in the same category as a band like the Sex Pistols or Husker Du. And harmonies, and subject matter. Simple/sweet/stupid.

I was a little intimidated by the Ramones before I really got into them. I’d heard Blitzkrieg Bop & I Wanna Be Sedated so many times over they lost all their appeal to me. I didn’t want to sit through a whole album of 2nd tier knock-off versions of those two hits, but luckily when I finally dove in I heard a bunch of music that blew those two singles out of the water. After a while I even gained a new appreciation for BB & IWBS. I don’t have to change the station when they come on anymore.

Oh Oh I Love Her So/Suzy is a Headbanger/Carbona Not Glue <-the best 1,2,3 combo on an album ever? Nahhhh (maybe Beat on the Brat/Judy is a Punk/I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend?)
The KKK Took My Baby Away
California Sun
Howling at the Moon (Sha-La-La) <- Never listened much to this until Miguel voted for it in the ’84 poll & now I can’t stop playing it.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

Jackson wrote:New Order: I wonder how high a combined Joy Division / New Order entrant would place.
I wonder the same thing. And not just in this poll, but on AM in general. In the AM ranking of top artists, New Order is the 61st, and Joy Division the 49. How much would achieve together? It's something we'll never know.

Except maybe if Henrik tells us. :P
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Blanco wrote:
Jackson wrote:New Order: I wonder how high a combined Joy Division / New Order entrant would place.
I wonder the same thing. And not just in this poll, but on AM in general. In the AM ranking of top artists, New Order is the 61st, and Joy Division the 49. How much would achieve together? It's something we'll never know.

I remember Henrik saying that Joy Order (or New Division) would be in the top 20 artists on AM. When you compare the combined album/song rankings of Joy Division and New Order against the current number 20 artist, Nirvana, it's easy to see how that would be the case.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Blanco wrote:

For the poll I will tell you that after Joy Division ranking is revealed ! (taking the best vote on everyone's ballot, though both combined might have been voted higher, but that I can not know ^^ )

Coming next : abrasive music pioneers and delicate songcrafters

65) Black Sabbath
293,1 points / 14 votes
AM Rank : 82
2010 poll rank : 101

2008 poll rank : 121

Top Albums (2011 poll) :
Paranoid (327)

Top Songs (2012 poll) :
Paranoid (335)
Iron Man (760)
Black Sabbath (965)

Biggest Fans :
Jackson (5)
whuntva (23)
Slick (23)

Another good surprise, I was hoping they could climb somewhere in the nineties, but Ozzy and co made a big jump up to #65. They usually have a very hard time in any elimination type poll, so it's nice to see a little support for those great musicians who almost single handedly created one of the most active genres of the past 30 years.

64) Nick Drake
304,8 points / 14 votes
AM Rank : 98
2010 poll rank : 55

2008 poll rank : 28

Top Albums (2011 poll) :
Five Leaves Left (78)
Pink Moon (83)
Bryter Layter (147)

Top Songs (2012 poll) :
River Man (176)
Three Hours (718)

Biggest Fans :
Pauldrach (3)
Nassim (22)
Listyguy (27)

63) The Stooges
306,1 points / 12 votes
AM Rank : 58 2010 poll rank : 63

2008 poll rank : 93

Top Albums (2011 poll) :
Fun House (90)
Raw Power (231)

Top Songs (2012 poll) :
I Wanna Be Your Dog (80)
Search and Destroy (115)
1970 (783)
TV Eye (807)
Loose (934)

Biggest Fans :
Maximumbeef (2)
Poliuks (4)
Jackson (18)

Made me realize their self-titled album didn't make our top 500, quite a surprise !

62) John Lennon
310,8 points / 14 votes
AM Rank : 37
2010 poll rank : 50

2008 poll rank : 81

Top Albums (2011 poll) :
John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (82)
Imagine (181)

Top Songs (2012 poll) :
Imagine (62)
Instant Karma! (We All Shine On) (482)
Working Class Hero (508)
Jealous Guy (852)

Biggest Fans :
Merlo (7)
Daniel (11)
Stone37 (13)

61) Sonic Youth
311 points / 13 votes
AM Rank : 53
2010 poll rank : 46

2008 poll rank : 50

Top Albums (2011 poll) :
Daydream Nation (71)
Sister (376)

Top Songs (2012 poll) :
Teen Age Riot (91)
The Diamond Sea (682)

Biggest Fans :
Maximumbeef (1)

Brad (12)
DaveC (30)

While they didn't have in the end as much of a hard time as most of the bands they influenced, Sonic Youth had to wait the last 4 ballots to crack the top 100...
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Nassim wrote: And the new millenium also said goodbye to 3 artists/bands, 2 of them being fairly predictable I think. On the other hand, we have a new entry there... also fairly predictable based on any recent AM poll.
I can think of 4 artists from the new millennium who aren't probably going to show up who showed up on the last poll-

TS, AC, G, and C

Is one of these artists going to make an appearance or did you miscount, Nassim?

And I'm sure anyone who's been paying attention to the music press in the last 3 years can guess the new millennium's addition to this poll...
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

18/100 now! It is too bad about Mingus's fairly low placement, but at least he's on the list! So far jazz has been represented fairly well, with Nina, Billie, and now the Black Saint all on the list. I was also not expecting either Sabbath or Sir Elton to do that well on a list from this forum, but surprises are always pleasant! Joy Division/New Order in the AM Top 20 would be a crazy surprise as well! I never thought about how high certain acts would be if they were grouped. I'm now curious about Lou Reed, John Cale with the VU, Iggy with The Stooges, Morrissey with The Smiths, among many others.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Nick wrote:
Nassim wrote: And the new millenium also said goodbye to 3 artists/bands, 2 of them being fairly predictable I think. On the other hand, we have a new entry there... also fairly predictable based on any recent AM poll.
I can think of 4 artists from the new millennium who aren't probably going to show up who showed up on the last poll-

TS, AC, G, and C

Is one of these artists going to make an appearance or did you miscount, Nassim?

And I'm sure anyone who's been paying attention to the music press in the last 3 years can guess the new millennium's addition to this poll...
You are right, I miscounted. One of them came pretty close, just one more vote, even at #100 would have make it top 100. The other 3 on the other hand are respectively 149th, 165th and 173th...

Only 3 new entries and 1 re entry left !

Some more useless stats :

Lowest ranked band/artist with :

More than 10 votes : The Police (136, 12 votes)
10 votes : AC/DC (150)
9 votes : Red Hot Chili Peppers (157)
8 votes : The Roots (209)
7 votes : The Black Keys (245)
6 votes : Lynyrd Skynyrd (285), actually getting less points than any artists included in only 5 ballots
4 votes : Jefferson Airplane (429)
3 votes : Deerhunter (569)
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Nick wrote:

TS, AC, G, and C

Hmm...CRJ, perhaps? :D

Also, was C really in our top 100 in '10? If it's the C I'm think of (that gave us VLV), I'm rather surprised they were ranked that high.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Listyguy wrote:
Nick wrote:

TS, AC, G, and C

Hmm...CRJ, perhaps? :D

Also, was C really in our top 100 in '10? If it's the C I'm think of (that gave us VLV), I'm rather surprised they were ranked that high.
Yupp, that is the C you're thinking of. And yes, they actually placed a pretty respectable position back in 2010. Around the mid 70's if I recall correctly.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

well if no one else is going to fess up i will. I like Oasis more than I've ever liked Blur. Singles wise I still think Oasis is superior even if they've never reached their full potential after Morning Glory. I kind of thought Blur ok was pretty good at one time and still think they have some good songs but after discovering acts like The Boo Radleys, The Super Furry Animals, Supergrass, Elastica, Travis, The Divine Comedy, Pulp and Manic Street Preachers I just can't really put them in the same field as any of them. I didn't even find room to rank them in my top 153 bands ( I know it was supposed to be 100 but I have a thing for the #53;) I'm also NOT ashamed to admit I LOVED britpop in the late 90s. In fact I would rank the Bluetones, Manson, Rialto, Catatonia, Stereophonics, Doves, Badly Drawn Boy, Gomez (or at least their album Split the Difference alone),Shack, Bis, Embrace and yes Robbie freakin' Williams all above Blur (I always say Justin Timberlake would have NEVER made it if it weren't for Robbie Williams and I'll take Williams over Timberlake any time) Not that I hate Blur but like the fact I wouldn't even rank MBV amongst my top 10 shoegaze/dreampop bands I wouldn't rank Blur anywhere near my top 20 favorite britpop bands.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

luvulongTIM wrote:Not that I hate Blur but like the fact I wouldn't even rank MBV amongst my top 10 shoegaze/dreampop bands I wouldn't rank Blur anywhere near my top 20 favorite britpop bands.
Gotta agree with you on both points. mbv was "Just like Loveless, now with more drone!" to these ears
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

I don't like to think of Joy Division/New Order as one entity. They are quite different bands to my ears.

Likewise, Fleetwood Mac pre/post '75. I put them on my list because of their pre'75 work. I even considered removing them because I am indifferent to the post'75 work (and I guess a vote for them is pretty much taken to be a vote for the latter), but decided that they should stay because it is a testament to Fleetwood/McVie that they could go on to produce more music which is loved by so many even if not so much by me.

I also rated Oasis, Pulp, & the Manics above Blur. Like luvulongTIM, I enjoy Britpop, and Blur don't really standout from the pack.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I guess I'll put my two cents into the classic Blur vs. Oasis debate. I didn't vote for either, but I generally prefer Blur in most cases. They just have a more varied catalogue, and don't seem to be so obsessed with being famous and widely loved, obsessed with becoming The Beatles Vol. 2. Still, I concede that Oasis is the more influential band, and that they have a terrific penchant for songwriting coupled with solid musicianship. It's just that, you know... they're so obnoxious! The Gallagher Brothers get into a feud with each other and every other music act every month it seems. But, again, my two cents.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

DaveC wrote:I don't like to think of Joy Division/New Order as one entity. They are quite different bands to my ears
Well, first off there's this Ian Curtis thing.

Also, if we start grouping closely related bands (i.e.: vanity projects, supergroups) to develop a "career" rating, where do you draw the line? For example, Jack White's solo output (one album to date) obviously relates to his output with the White Stripes. But then, the Raconteurs is obviously a Jack White band, so do we group them in as well? And the Dead Weather, well that's mostly Jack White, with Alison Mosshart on vocals, right? And then there's that Van Lear Rose album, obviously a Jack White album...
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

DocBrown wrote:
DaveC wrote:I don't like to think of Joy Division/New Order as one entity. They are quite different bands to my ears

Also, if we start grouping closely related bands (i.e.: vanity projects, supergroups) to develop a "career" rating, where do you draw the line? For example, Jack White's solo output (one album to date) obviously relates to his output with the White Stripes. But then, the Raconteurs is obviously a Jack White band, so do we group them in as well? And the Dead Weather, well that's mostly Jack White, with Alison Mosshart on vocals, right? And then there's that Van Lear Rose album, obviously a Jack White album...
Lol! You bring up a good point. Of course, if we do the "career rating" thing, the prospects of Eric Clapton getting into the AMTop 100 is inevitable (something many on this forum, including myself, may not find too pleasing!)

PS: No offense meant to any Slowhand fans around here!
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

DocBrown wrote:

But wait....there's more!....

Aphex Twin, whose real name is Richard David James, sometimes performs as AFX. AFX collaborated with Squarepusher. Squarepusher's real name is Tom Jenkinson, who was also a member of Tom Jenkinson & Friends. Another member of Tom Jenkinson & Friends is named Ashley Slater. Ashley Slater was a member of the group Freak Power. Another member of Freak Power was Norman Cook, whose real name is Fatboy Slim. Fatboy Slim once collaborated with the artist Eve on the track "Cowboy (Instrumental)". Eve was a member of the group Ruff Ryders. Another member of Ruff Ryders was Jadakiss. Jadakiss once collaborated with Usher on the track "Throwback". Usher, in turn, has collaborated with Justin Bieber on the track "First Dance".

Conclusion: Aphex Twin and Justin Bieber should be grouped together.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”