My First Vinyl Album

Andre
Unquestionable Presence

My First Vinyl Album

Post by Andre »

Nowadays, most of you probably buy music online and park it on some cloud so you can listen to it from any of your devices.

Will the CD soon completely disappear? It seems like yesterday when I made a joke to a fellow student by asking him to switch the CD to the other side, or to turn it up to 45 rpm ...

There are still quite a few die hards who buy vinyl albums, so maybe there are also some CD fans around?

Anyway, now to my question to you:

At my 13th birthday in 1980 I received my first two vinyl albums: Madness - One Step Beyond and The Specials - same.
The first vinyl album that I bought myself was in 1983: Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are made Of This).

What was your first vinyl album?
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Re: My First Vinyl Album

Post by Mattceinicram »

I buy both vinyls and CD's!

As for first vinyl....I actually won a contest with a local radio station that gave me what their listeners considered the 100 greatest classic rock vinyls. Included all the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Zeppelin staples etc.
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Mattceinicram wrote:I buy both vinyls and CD's!

As for first vinyl....I actually won a contest with a local radio station that gave me what their listeners considered the 100 greatest classic rock vinyls. Included all the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Zeppelin staples etc.
Lucky you! :music-rockon:
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Fairly sure my first was Slade-Slade Alive!. followed by Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards, Focus - Moving Waves, and Barclay James Harvest - Once Again.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I don't think it will be too long until records once again outsell CDs. I wanna say before 2025. The people who would normally buy CDs are going to continue going to the digital route.

My first record was the Icky Thump 7" single in 2008. I then continued to collect White Stripes records (heavily) for a few years before branching out to the rest of the music I listen to.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

The oldest vinyl album that I had in my pre-CD collection was my parents' copy of Bridge Over Troubled Water, which they purchased when it came out and which I later commandeered for my own collection (they didn't own any other classic rock albums other than Elvis' Golden Records Vol. 1 and the Beatles' Red and Blue collections [1962-1966 and 1967-1970, respectively]). The first vinyl I ever bought with my own money, when I was 13, was Who's Next.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

I purchased The Beatles '65 in 1973 on an American Air Force base in Germany. My brother bought Elton John's Honky Château the same day. Point = me.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

With a little help of this forum, especially the tips given by John, I started my own vinyl collection. My first one was Joanna Newsom's Have One on Me, which I stumbled by accident at a local store in Salvador, Brazil. It's been over a year and since then I have collected 30 different titles and it's been expanding for quite a while. I grew up watching my parents and their friends being rather attached to their own CD and vinyl collections, and, since I still carried this piece of memory along with me, I found easier to start my own. I realise kids who grow up during this digital environment feel this need to a much lesser extent than I did, but I noticed even them considered collecting their favorite records once in their short lifetime.
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

I was 8 years old when bought Journey "Escape" on vinyl back in '81 followed up in the next couple of years by Men At Work's "Business As Usual", Toto "IV", The Clash "Combat Rock", MJ "Thriller", Duran Duran "Rio" and before I committed myself to cassette I bought "Purple Rain".

In 2008 I bought a turntable and have been purchasing about 10 albums a year but I instantly bought "Black Sabbath", Led Zepp "IV", The Cure "The Head on the Door", Springsteen "Born To Run" and Pearl Jam "Ten" the same day I got my new turntable.

My Sunday morning routine involves listening to a different record on vinyl to relax, last Sunday The Replacements "Tim" rocked the wheel of steel...

The only thing I dislike about getting new music on vinyl is the price, so I usually dig through the used vinyl sections and find deals for under $5.

Great topic, thanks for starting this up.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Andre wrote:What was your first vinyl album?

dumbangel
Are You Experienced?

Post by dumbangel »

My first vinyl single : Duran Duran - "Wild Boys" (1984 - I was 8 years old)
My first vinyl album : INXS - "Kick" (1987 - I was 11 years old)
Mindrocker
Let's Get It On

Post by Mindrocker »

DUTCH PRIDE!!
The first record I bought was Golden Earring's Back Home (1970). I was very young then and bought predominantly singles, but soon I purchased my first longplayer: Led Zeppelin III. LZ III was already out for a while because a few months later I bought Led Zep IV which had just newly arrived in the shops. I never stopped buying music, but since I moved to Brazil it's getting increasingly more difficult. There are hardly any record stores here (and I'm living in a metropolis like Rio de Janeiro). Green with envy I'm reading every week your last buys in the Recent Purchases thread, recalling how great it was having a couple of good stores within distance. Nowadays I basically only buy online, where every item I order (with shipping, import taxes, etc.) costs me at least 50 dollar :o. Ah well, living here enabled me at least to buy the original first pressings of all the great Tropicália albums, that compensates.
YellowEyedDemon
Start Me Up

Post by YellowEyedDemon »

My first vinyl album was "Christmas With the Chipmunks." Needless to say, I was very young at the time. This was followed by dozens of other children's albums, prominent among which were: "Songs of the West That Children Love Best" by Tex Johnson & His Six Shooters, "On Top of Spaghetti" by Marc Field, and a whole slew of Disney Soundtrack albums and collections.

My first "grown-up" vinyl album was a 3-record collection of top hits from the late 40s-early 50s called "Till the End of Time." Among the artists featured were: Perry Como (title track), Frank Sinatra, Doris Day, Frankie Laine, Judy Garland, The Ink Spots, Margaret Whiting, Hoagy Carmichael, Buddy Clark, and Guy Lombardo.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

I’m maybe 5 or 6 six years old, and apparently I’ve been going through my parents’ Moody Blues and Ted Nugent (hahaha) records. I’m laid low with the chicken pox, and Mom and Dad get me this to make me feel a bit better.

Before too long, I would purchase some records (a.k.a. making my Mom get it for me, I imagine) at Circles and some other store whose name I can’t remember. I don’t remember what would have been bought first, but I remember “I Want a New Drug” and all the Huey Lewis and the News albums :( , Van Halen’s “Jump,” more Moody Blues records, and Jefferson Airplane records (again, the influence of Mom & Dad’s collection). I don’t really remember PLAYING these records much, I’m sure it happened a little, but even then my collector habits outpaced my consuming habits.
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

I had my dad's record collection before I bought one but the first one I actually bought was Sex Pistols-Nevermind the Bullocks.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”