MCCh 2014 (02) February 15

Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

MCCh 2014 (02) February 15

Post by Otisredding »

The best albums of 2014 (update February 15)

The numbers presented next to each album title are the weighted average rating and the number of reviews (out of 31 included sources). The weighted average is based on a formula that includes a) the average of ratings and b) the number of sources that have rated the album.

The magazines I used for the ratings were:
EUR + Australia: Gaffa-dk; Gaffa-sw; Jenesaispop; Laut; LesInrocks; Mondosonoro; Music-story; Nojesguiden; Ondarock; Plattentests; Playgroundmag; Rip It Up; Sentire Ascoltare.
UK: DIY; Drowned In Sound; The Guardian; Music OMH; NME; The Line Of Best Fit; The Skinny; The 405.
USA + Canada: Allmusic; AV Club; Consequence Of Sound; Exclaim!; Paste; Pitchfork; Popmatters; Rolling Stone; Spin; Tinymixtapes

New Entry or Re Entry

Out:
Broken Bells: After the Disco

15 - Ásgeir: In the Silence – 75,2 (12)
Highlights: In the Silence - King and Cross - Going Home
[imgsize 260x260]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_50 ... 663866.jpg[/imgsize]

14 - Tinariwen: Emmaar - 75,6 (15)
Highlights: Imdiwanin Ahi Tifhamam - Toumast Tincha - Imidiwan Ahi Sigdim
[imgsize 260x260]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_50 ... 686267.jpg[/imgsize]

13 - Warpaint: Warpaint – 76,5 (29)
Highlights: Love Is To Die - Keep It Healthy - Hi
[imgsize 260x260]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_50 ... 676121.jpg[/imgsize]

12 - Stephen Malkmus And The Jicks: Wig Out at Jagbags – 76,8 (30)
Highlights: Lariat – Planetary Motion - Cinnamon and Lesbians
[imgsize 260x260]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_50 ... 675827.jpg[/imgsize]

11 - Young Fathers: Dead – 77,0 (13)
Highlights: War - Get Up - No Way
[imgsize 260x260]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_50 ... 688073.jpg[/imgsize]

10 - Actress: Ghettoville – 77,2 (17)
Highlights: Gaze - Rap - Corner
[imgsize 280x280]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_50 ... 693983.jpg[/imgsize]

09 - Mogwai: Rave Tapes - 77,4 (30)
Highlights: Remurdered - The Lord Is Out Of Control - Blues Hour
[imgsize 280x280]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_50 ... 680346.jpg[/imgsize]

08 - Sharon Jones And The Dap-Kings: Give the People What They Want - 77,6 (23)
Highlights: Retreat! - Making Up and Breaking Up (And Making Up and Breaking Up Over Again) - People Don’t Get What They Deserve
[imgsize 280x280]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_50 ... 683988.jpg[/imgsize]

07 - Damien Jurado: Brothers And Sisters Of The Eternal Son - 77,8 (21)
Highlights: Silver Katherine - Metallic Cloud - Silver Timothy
[imgsize 280x280]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_50 ... 684970.jpg[/imgsize]

06 - Against Me!: Transgender Dysphoria Blues – 78,3 (16)
Highlights: Transgender Dysphoria Blues - True Trans Soul Rebel - Two Coffins
[imgsize 280x280]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_50 ... 680949.jpg[/imgsize]

05 - Angel Olsen: Burn Your Fire for No Witness – 78,7 (10)
Highlights: Forgiven/Forgotten - HI-Five - White Fire
[imgsize 300x300]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_50 ... 677187.jpg[/imgsize]

04 - Sun Kil Moon: Benji - 79,7 (14)
Highlights: Carissa - Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes - I Love My Dad
[imgsize 300x300]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_50 ... 689105.jpg[/imgsize]

03 - East India Youth: Total Strife Forever - 81,4 (13)
Highlights: Looking for Someone - Dripping Down - Heaven, How Long
[imgsize 300x300]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_50 ... 691390.jpg[/imgsize]

02 - Behemoth: The Satanist - 82,5 (9)
Highlights: Blow Your Trumpets Gabriel - O Father O Satan O Sun! - Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer
[imgsize 300x300]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_50 ... 687441.jpg[/imgsize]

01 - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra: Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything - 83,6 (21)
Highlights: What We Loved Was Not Enough - Austerity Blues - Fuck Off Get Free (For The Island Of Montreal)
[imgsize 300x300]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_50 ... 683514.jpg[/imgsize]
Last edited by Otisredding on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Re: MCCh 2014 (02) February 15

Post by Otisredding »

Setherex wrote:would it be too much effort to list the albums up to the 70,0 score
16 - Marissa Nadler: July - 74,3 (15)
17 - Rosanne Cash: The River & The Thread - 74,1 (7)
18 - Speedy Ortiz: Real Hair - 73,8 (7)
19 - Bombay Bicycle Club: So Long, See You Tomorrow - 73,5 (19)
20 - Temples: Sun Structures - 72,4 (21)
21 - James Vincent McMorrow: Post Tropical - 72,4 (22)
22 - I Break Horses: Chiaroscuro - 72,3 (20)
23 - Cheatahs: Cheatahs - 72,2 (11)
24 - Katy B: Liitle Red - 72 (19)
25 - Broken Bells: After the Disco - 71,6 (25)
26 - Gem Club: In Roses - 71,1 (9)
27 - Sunn O))) & Ulver: Terrestrials - 71,1 (8)
28 - Cymbals: The Age of Fracture - 71 (10)
29 - Alcest: Shelter - 70,8 (12)
30 - Doug Paisley: String Feelings - 70,5 (7)
31 - ceo: Wonderland - 70,5 (16)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Wow, a death metal record at #2!

As always great work otisredding!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Thanks, otisredding!
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Great Otisredding!
I like the 'out' section (new, right?).

I'm surprised Benji didn't make it to the first place and, like Henrik, about the death metal album. That genre normally get's almost ignored.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Otisredding wrote:
Setherex wrote:would it be too much effort to list the albums up to the 70,0 score
I love you so much. Thanks, Otis! The list is fantastic :D :D

So much music I need to catch up on already this year! Surprising to me.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Gillingham wrote:Great Otisredding!

I'm surprised Benji didn't make it to the first place and, like Henrik, about the death metal album. That genre normally get's almost ignored.
Don't tell that to rateyourmusic.com. ;)

Personally I find a majority of the death metal albums that get high ratings at RYM rather sameish and homogeneous. Everyone sings in the same embellished growl, and 75% of them use the same chord progressions.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Jirin wrote:

Personally I find a majority of the death metal albums that get high ratings at RYM rather sameish and homogeneous. Everyone sings in the same embellished growl, and 75% of them use the same chord progressions.
I've never explored the genre enough to make a judgment, but in general I'm not really inclined to look for and listen to new death metal (even metal in general) albums that get good ratings on rym.com.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Not exactly.

MCCH 2013 is reissued with the "out" section
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Jirin wrote:

Otis, what sources rated Behemoth? I love classic metal and I get kinda happy when death metal gets some critical acclaim, as the genre obviously has a lot of fans. But then I listened and, like 99% of all death metal I have listened to, it was totally dreadful to my ears.
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

Man, with the sort of response the new St. Vincent record is getting, it might jump straight to number one on the next list.
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Mattceinicram wrote:Man, with the sort of response the new St. Vincent record is getting, it might jump straight to number one on the next list.
With Beck and Wild Beasts coming next week as well, the next update will be very interesting indeed.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Harold wrote:
Mattceinicram wrote:Man, with the sort of response the new St. Vincent record is getting, it might jump straight to number one on the next list.
With Beck and Wild Beasts coming next week as well, the next update will be very interesting indeed.
I know that I play with an advantage: I can already foresee that the next update will have a fourth candidate: Neneh Cherry
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Henrik wrote:Otis, what sources rated Behemoth?
The Guardian: 100
Laut: 100
Popmaters: 90
Gaffa-sw: 83
Allmusic: 80
Spin: 80
Music story: 70
Exclaim!: 70
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Otisredding wrote:I know that I play with an advantage: I can already foresee that the next update will have a fourth candidate: Neneh Cherry
Yeah, nearly blindsided by that one. After listening to the stream for the first time today I started checking out the reviews and the all of the ones I've come across have been highly positive so far...
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

Seems like the year finally picked up after Sun Kil Moon's excellent album. Not that January was a bad month but it was an unmemorable one, with a fair number of solid releases but nothing I would wish to make the top 25 of the EOY spreadsheet, no classics. Then we got Sun Kil Moon, Angel Olson, St Vincent, Beck, Wild Beasts and Neneh Cherry. Can't wait for the next couple of updates!
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

Also, I have many close friends who are very involved with the underground metal scene who are raving over the Behemoth record. I want to listen to it now with an open mind to the fact that it just may not be a genre I understand much and try to pull out the appeal.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Huuge metalhead here. Behemoth's The Satanist is quite the excellent death metal album, but I don't see it changing many non-metal minds. Actually, the attention it has gotten (which hasn't been Deafheaven or Mastodon level but still impressive for an extreme metal band) is surprising to me. But then, Behemoth are a veteran band, which probably explains the extra hype. But then, Carcass formed even earlier, and their album from last year, Surgical Steel, was deservedly praised in underground circles (#1 in both Terrorizer and Decibel mags). But that album didn't seem to get half the attention Behemoth is getting now.
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

Well, last year there was Sunbather, and deservedly so, because it was such a beautiful aggression, I had never heard anything like it, the album was just very unique and fresh.

Meanwhile, while I like metal and have listened to many records of all its ramifications, to me, The Satanist is actually very normal, with nothing new to add. There are much more greater albums than this one that didn't even get close to the acclaim it's been receiving. I recognize there are some very vividly, terrorizing moments, which is what death metal is about to me, but overall it didn't move me in any way. Crazy, crazy music critique world.
Immerse your soul in love. No matter how it ends, no matter how it starts.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I don't know that I've ever faced such a musical, ethical dilemma as the Behemoth album. I think that, musically, it's tremendous; however, although I don't discuss it much, I did grow up in a religious environment and I do hold onto a lot of those principles (excluding those that some people use to discriminate). With that said, the lyrics of "The Satanist" are so blatantly savage and sacrilegious that it distracts from the rest of it for me. One thing's for sure though: I do get what the fuss is all about!
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

jamieW wrote:I don't know that I've ever faced such a musical, ethical dilemma as the Behemoth album. I think that, musically, it's tremendous; however, although I don't discuss it much, I did grow up in a religious environment and I do hold onto a lot of those principles (excluding those that some people use to discriminate). With that said, the lyrics of "The Satanist" are so blatantly savage and sacrilegious that it distracts from the rest of it for me. One thing's for sure though: I do get what the fuss is all about!
I as well hold onto a commitment to my faith. Listening to "The Satanist" definitely is something new to me, however I feel I can listen to these lyrics as just that, lyrics. Although I strongly disagree with the subject matter I just try to ignore the meaning of the lyrics..which I found to be the worst part of this record (not because of it's sacrilegious nature). With all that being said, I did actually enjoy the Behemoth record. It's not a masterpiece, but definitely one to be enjoyed with an open mind.
Last edited by Mattceinicram on Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Mattceinicram wrote:
jamieW wrote:I don't know that I've ever faced such a musical, ethical dilemma as the Behemoth album. I think that, musically, it's tremendous; however, although I don't discuss it much, I did grow up in a religious environment and I do hold onto a lot of those principles (excluding those that some people use to discriminate). With that said, the lyrics of "The Satanist" are so blatantly savage and sacrilegious that it distracts from the rest of it for me. One thing's for sure though: I do get what the fuss is all about!
I as well hold onto a commitment to my faith. Listening to "The Satanist" definitely is something new to me, however I feel I can listen to these lyrics as just that, lyrics. Although I strongly disagree with the subject matter I just try to ignore the meaning of the lyrics..which I found to be the worst part of this record (not because of it's sacrilegious nature). With all that being said, I did actually enjoy the Behemoth record. It's not a masterpiece, but definitely one top be enjoyed with an open mind.
You're probably right about looking at the lyrics as nothing more than that. I do feel a little hypocritical with my review of Behemoth, considering there have been many rap lyrics featuring sexist and homophobic language I despise--yet I've dismissed them as being caricatures not meant to be taken seriously. Perhaps that's how I should be looking at Behemoth as well. (Though, unlike many rap artists who have stated their lyrics don't reflect who they truly are, Behemoth doesn't seem to be playing. But then there's no way I can know that; and I don't really have a right to judge anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I'm an atheist and I love the song "The Christian Life".

I don't get why some people can't get into fiction when it has a message they disagree with. In fiction I care more about the quality of the expression of the message more than whether I agree with the message. I love Breaking Bad, though I am strongly against drug dealing, and Game of Thrones even though I do not agree with starting wars and murdering people to get yourself into power. I don't see why it can't be the same with Christians and heavy metal.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

To be honest, I feel a little guilty about getting this thread sidetracked, and I probably shouldn't have brought the subject up in the first place. But I did have a very strong reaction to Behemoth (both positive and negative), and I'd seen the album discussed in the forum before so I thought I'd weigh in with my own personal response--which turned out to be a little more personal than I usually go. As I said, I felt hypocritical in retrospect anyway, since I definitely listen to a lot of music that others would find offensive (including myself at times) and I don't bat an eye when I listen to favorites like Sabbath and Slayer, so I don't really have a right to be critical of an artist that happened to finally push my buttons.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

To me it seems very interesting debate. Thanks to all three (jamieW, Mattcenicram, jirin) for making it public.

My humble opinion:

a) I do not understand (almost all) of the letters (or Behemoth or anyone). For me the texts have an importance equal to 0 when assessing the pop music.

b) When I hear music in Spanish, Catalan, Italian and Portuguese (then I do understand the texts) the importance of the texts is 5% or so.

I guess for the English speaking people this must be something very strange: There are people who love rock but do not understand the lyrics?. Yes, it does. And when we sing rock songs, we get excited, shout, whisper ... and do not know what we are saying!
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Thanks, Otisredding. It makes me feel better to know that you didn’t have a problem with it, since it is your thread and I appreciate the amazing work you do with these charts. You also made a great point when you mentioned songs in a foreign language, since I often have no idea what’s being said (although I do try to find the lyrics, especially when it’s songwriting masters like Brel and Brassens). I think lyrics are just more important to me than they are to a lot of people. (I’d say my musical enjoyment is probably about 60% the music itself and 40% the lyrics and vocal delivery.) Perhaps it’s just because I spend so much of my spare time writing, so I know just how difficult it can be. It’s also probably why I don’t write a lot of thorough essays about my favorite music on this site, since I come here as an escape. (Though I sure do look forward to the eloquent writings of Honorio, HRS, Moonbeam and many others, so I’m definitely thankful that everybody doesn’t feel the way I do!)
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

I have zero interest in what the lyrics are saying except in song parodies like those done by Allan Sherman. For me the lyrics ONLY matter phonetically.
Mattceinicram
Different Class

Post by Mattceinicram »

I guess it depends on the genre, but often it's 50 percent lyrics and 50 percent music that determines my enjoyment. Obviously there are certain times when I know to not take lyrics as seriously, and that the music will make up for it. ex. Daft Punk, Van Halen, pretty much every mainstream pop song that I actually do like
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Jirin wrote:In fiction I care more about the quality of the expression of the message more than whether I agree with the message.
I go through this when I listen to Kanye, for example when the subject is Christianity (I'm an atheist) or race (let's just say he's very pro-black). Neither of these things bothers me at all.

Edit: And he has the right to think those things, except I wish he would not take the pro-black thing so far as almost being racist against whites. Idk, I hope no-one continues discussion, but if someone does, I will explain myself further. The point is that the music with the lyrics is good art and that's the only thing what matters.
I feel like that
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The thing though that makes Kanye West's lyrics different from the lyrics of a band like Public Enemy is that you get a greater sense of shock value and artifice. Like his outrage is his 'English accent', it comes off more like his self-branding than it does something deeply emotional and personal.

But when an album has lyrics that are overtly violent or misogynist, the problem I have with it isn't moral so much as aesthetic. I find those kinds of lyrics generally unpleasant and hard to connect with. A song like Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos is poetic in its imagery and genuinely emotional in its expression of systematic racial oppression. Whereas when the guy is screaming 'OPEN WIDE HO!' it's just kind of obnoxious in its overt chest-thumping vulgarity.
Blanco
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Blanco »

In my case, there are songs that I appreciate only for their lyrics, others only for their music, and some others even just by his attitude or his legacy. When a song has more than one of these characteristics at the same time, it is impossible not to feel it in one's heart.

In Latin America the lyrics of the songs is often very important, because it is a great way to convey messages of any kind. In addition there are some lyrics that are true masterpieces. The first example that comes to my mind is "Construção", by Chico Buarque. It is perfect. The lyrics of the song itself would make one of the best poems ever written. It tells the story of a construction worker, how he started his day, and his decision.Then it seems that retells the same story, but the last part of each line is shifted: The end of the first line is now the end of the third. The end of the third line is now the end of the fourth. Etc. Etc. So actually Buarque is not repeating the same story, he is telling another point of view. In this way, the story of the worker changes drastically... One discovers what lies behind the worker's life, and the decision he has taken. Then the story is retold, and again the end of each line is rearranged. The end of the song is overwhelming, but I'll let you discover it: Song with english subtitles.
So, the lyrics are great, and they give a message. The music changes as the story is told, and it is magnificent. It seems to me a good example of a song that even when it has good music, the lyrics are awesomely great. Ignoring the lyrics of a song is not bad, but one loses so many good things!

Anyway, I have a question for those who say they do not care much about the lyrics. Read it as if said with the best intentions in the world, and with friendly tone: If the lyrics of a song does not matter so much, why then most of the music that you love is in English? It's a serious question, I'm not asking with intent to annoy.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Lyrics are important to me, and yet they aren't. I'm kind of a weird beast. I LOVE great writing in music. I can listen to Bob Dylan all day long and I worship him. My favorite album of 2014 so far is Sun Kil Moon's Benji because I think it has the best songwriting of a few years. I love to read and write so words are important. However, it is somehow very easy for me to appreciate music just for the musical value, and ignore clunky lyrics. I may love Dylan but I also love techno, jazz, metal and classic rock and blues songs that have simple AABA structures.

And even with great songwriting, the music has to match the words. The Dylan albums I enjoy are the ones with excellent instrumental arrangements too, like Desire and Highway 61 Revisited. Benji is my favorite album of this year not just because of the lyrics, but also because I think it is musically varied and interesting.

My favorite musical style has always been, and will always be, classical. Most of it is instrumental, of course, and I would not mind if I spent the rest of my life listening to instrumental classical music. So right there I already contradict the "I love great lyrics" part of me. And also, most vocal classical music is in languages I don't understand, and I can love, say, an opera or choral work without knowing a word that is being sung. So I don't know what percentage I would place words and what percentage I would place music, as far as my preferences go. I love great songwriting but only if the music is also great. But I can love great music if the songwriting is mediocre or even if there are no words or I can't understand them...
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Blanco wrote:In my case, there are songs that I appreciate only for their lyrics, others only for their music, and some others even just by his attitude or his legacy. When a song has more than one of these characteristics at the same time, it is impossible not to feel it in one's heart.

In Latin America the lyrics of the songs is often very important, because it is a great way to convey messages of any kind. In addition there are some lyrics that are true masterpieces. The first example that comes to my mind is "Construção", by Chico Buarque. It is perfect. The lyrics of the song itself would make one of the best poems ever written. It tells the story of a construction worker, how he started his day, and his decision.Then it seems that retells the same story, but the last part of each line is shifted: The end of the first line is now the end of the third. The end of the third line is now the end of the fourth. Etc. Etc. So actually Buarque is not repeating the same story, he is telling another point of view. In this way, the story of the worker changes drastically... One discovers what lies behind the worker's life, and the decision he has taken. Then the story is retold, and again the end of each line is rearranged. The end of the song is overwhelming, but I'll let you discover it: Song with english subtitles.
So, the lyrics are great, and they give a message. The music changes as the story is told, and it is magnificent. It seems to me a good example of a song that even when it has good music, the lyrics are awesomely great. Ignoring the lyrics of a song is not bad, but one loses so many good things!

Anyway, I have a question for those who say they do not care much about the lyrics. Read it as if said with the best intentions in the world, and with friendly tone: If the lyrics of a song does not matter so much, why then most of the music that you love is in English? It's a serious question, I'm not asking with intent to annoy.
Great post, Blanco. I knew "Construção" but didn't know the lyrics at all. I will listen to it again with this in mind for the 1971 poll. For your question in the end, I think one common answer is that people usually aren't exposed to other music than English (and their own language) and there is always so much to discover within these languages that they don't have/take the time to explore anything else.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Construção I think is one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

The lyrics are a poem: the desperation of one man in society. Chico Buarque interpreted with that coldly distant is really overwhelming.

I postulate Construção to fight in the next poll of AM as best song in history tough battle with A Day in The Life, Like a Rolling Stone, etc..

By the way, Construção is also the epic of a man in a day: a day in the lilfe.

And the music: sounds, noises that can represent the tragedy, madness, defeat. And all this violence is housed in a lilting rhythm, like a slow samba.

Unfortunately I can not express my feelings very well because of the language. I hope, at least, that you may understand my fascination with this song.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Blanco wrote:If the lyrics of a song does not matter so much, why then most of the music that you love is in English? It's a serious question, I'm not asking with intent to annoy.

Precisely for that reason, Blanco.

Normally, I do not care what the lyrics say. So I just appreciate the music, melody, rhythm, instrumentation (including vocal performance, phonics).

I use music sung primarily in English, but the reason is quantity, not quality. I mean, if I choose my fifty favorite musicians, I'll have to Radio Futura, Franco Battiato, Chico Buarque, Jaques Brel, Serge Gainsbourg and then some, with 40 English-speaking musicians, but only because there is much more supply.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Blanco wrote:If the lyrics of a song does not matter so much, why then most of the music that you love is in English?
Exposure bias, correlation with genre preference, geographic location of production and marketing funds.

Most bands who intend to make their music easily available in America choose to record in English.

Whenever the topic comes up of the importance of lyrics I say the same thing, lyrics only matter if they're really good or really bad. Like, in songs like Eleanor Rigby or The Boxer the lyrics greatly elevate the music, and it's difficult to separate somebody like Eminem from the lyrical content. But 95% of songs have pretty middling lyrics. "Wow this girl is hot. I wish I could be with her. I like that woman. I find her shapely! But oh no she is dating someone else. Why can't she date me?" That's most pop songs. For the lyrics to really matter they have to be really unique to the singer.

I would definitely listen to more non-Anglophone music if it was better marketed to me.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Thank you Blanco and Otisredding for the insight on "Construção." The song was already in my top 500 of all time for the brilliant music alone, but after discovering that the lyrics are more than worthy to be included alongside such an awe-inspiring arrangement, I instantly moved it 200 spots up my list. I would agree with anyone who says it is one of the greatest songs of all time (it's MUCH better than "A Day in the Life").

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”