How Much of A Musical Snob/Nerd Are You?

Bruce
Feeling Good

How Much of A Musical Snob/Nerd Are You?

Post by Bruce »

Take the test.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/how-mu ... rd-are-you

MY SCORE:

You checked off 33 out of 100 on this list!

You’re a major music nerd, and most people in your life consider you to be an expert. You’re very committed, but there’s some lines you don’t cross.
Last edited by Bruce on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: How Much of A Musical Snob Are You?

Post by Jirin »

I only got a 23, I'm surprised it wasn't higher.

"There is no doubt that you’re waaaay into music, but you’re not TOTALLY intense about it. Like, you probably have other interests and a well-rounded life. There’s no shame in that!"

Guess that's totally accurate about me.

Your link is broken. I got to the poll by typing out how-much-of-a-music-nerd-are-you.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I feel like that
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

I was more than a little generous with my responses and got a 23, i am content :D
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Jirin wrote:Your link is broken.
I fixed it, thanks.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I got 50.

The problem with these buzzfeed quiz things is that they are simply not that well constructed. For example, if you tick the "Spent More than $500 on a record" you have to tick the other three as well.

Not to mention most of those things don't seem too snobby to me (Spent hours alphabetizing CDs or LPs?). If it was a quiz full of questions like "Believed that other people are too dumb to “get” the music you enjoy?" then THAT would give you an indication about being a snob (imo, anyway).
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

8 out of 100. I only know Lester Bangs from that R.E.M. song.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

I got 22 and the same comment as Jirin.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

28/100. I'd be laughed out of Silverlake. Haha "overproduced and not as good as their earlier works" I hear so many times throughout the day on this site alone. I am obscessed with GREATEST HITS compilations. Sorry but 21 Singles trumps Psychocandy easily in my opinion. I got one that wasn't included on the list. It's an AMG pet peeve for some reason. One of the writers absolutely HATES when an artists puts out a best of compilation but doesnt have the songs in chronological order. I think he's even taken a star or two off an album because of it. ;) Also hipsters don't like Coachella anymore. It's gone too commercial and "SOLD OUT!!!!!"
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Maschine_Man wrote:Ithen THAT would give you an indication about being a snob (imo, anyway).
I think it's actually called "How Much of A Musical Nerd Are You?" but the place where I saw it used snob instead.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I haven't been to Coachella but I have been to Bonaroo, doesn't that count? Also I think the bonfires at Woodstock 99 were awesome.

I use the word 'Overproduced' once a week. :)

I also took the 'Stereotypical American' quiz and got a 45. I wonder what that says about me. Of course, given some of the questions I think a lot of Europeans would answer the same way.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

I got 22 - seems to be popular score. Just realised I can't remember who played Glastonbury when I was there - probably should take one off for that.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

You checked off 28 out of 100 on this list! You’re a major music nerd, and most people in your life consider you to be an expert. You’re very committed, but there’s some lines you don’t cross.

That sounds about right.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

27 out of 100.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

29. I had mixed feeling for several questions though. Some of them I ticked, and some not. There were also questions I really disagree with, such as "Stopped liking an artist because you’re embarrassed to be associated with their fans?" I hate people (including critics) who rate artists based on their fans.

Machine_Man is in a league of his own here!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

31 out of 100. Cool survey.
jimmyj
Strange Fruit

Post by jimmyj »

24 out of 100
Some of those questions were pretty funny.
I actually surprised myself with some of the ones I answered positively.
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

I got 36/100.

I did have a college radio show, but it was actually a political talk show, so I'm not sure if that should really net me any points toward being a music snob...
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

37 out of 100. Loved this haha Although there are some problems: I always import music because I live in Brazil and vinyls are expensive to the point you expend more than 50 dollars importing and even a 100 buying a new one inside the country. Otherwise, I use words like overproduced and I compare artists' new materials to the past. It's just part of expressing your opinion on a record. I do think despise other people's tastes or opinions is much more an act of snobbery than expressing how you feel about a record's production and how it stands compared to others. Also, stop enjoying someone's music for any other reason than the music itself or to a certain extent their politics. Following AM also made know the names of critics and journalists over time. About buying records while traveling: I'm no innocent, bought 41 so far while living in Berlin. Great record stores, great pressings and prices. It's also a joy to befriend the sellers and have long conversations about music and our favorite artists impacts on life over time. Been missing that around here on AM, that's why I'm always checking the forum but never posting as before. Tschüss!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

46. Admittedly kind of silly - but I'm old, was a college DJ, worked in an indie record store (before CDs), and have read music journalism since the Creem/Circus heyday in the '70's. Never been on a dating site, otherwise would def have been able to check that one off too...
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

26/100

Entertaining enough.
Henrik
Site Admin

Re: How Much of A Musical Snob/Nerd Are You?

Post by Henrik »

Question 101: Shamed your girlfriend/wife for getting a poor test score (after forcing her to take the quiz)?

I haven't, but it crossed my mind (apparently).
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik wrote:Question 101: Shamed your girlfriend/wife for getting a poor test score (after forcing her to take the quiz)?

I haven't, but it crossed my mind (apparently).
My girlfriend took it and got within one point of my score, although we clicked off very different answers. She never was a DJ, never worked in a record store, or had a radio program, etc....but she had other yes answers. My score would have been much higher but the quiz is tailored for nowadays with the I-Pod questions and modern genre questions that were NO for me.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Bruce wrote:My score would have been much higher but the quiz is tailored for nowadays with the I-Pod questions and modern genre questions that were NO for me.
yeah, i pretty much skipped right over that section entirely.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

49. I was generous with my answers but I was surprised how the test is weighted. I thought "Music nerd" territory would be much higher.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Interesting quiz. I scored a 23, which the survey predicts means that I have a well-rounded life. (Wrong!) It definitely focuses on a lot of areas (such as attending concerts, festivals) that I would never score well on given my ultra-reclusive, introverted personality. Some of the areas, though, were really spot-on (obsession with end of year lists, associating times of my life with music, etc.).
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

41/100 Major music nerd!
Last edited by Mattceinicram on Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Also if these questions were weighted instead of all being worth 1, I think I'd score higher.

Like:
-Have you ever ranked your favorite albums of the year? -1 pt
-Have you ever designed and coded a complicated mathematical algorithm to help you calculate this list? -10 pts
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Hey Maschine Man, whuntva, Brad! Let's ditch these casuals and start shaming them in a new thread "How to differentiate the music snob from the music nerd". Which is to say I'm rather ashamed to have got a 53. Not that I'm even in Maschine Man's ballpark for authoritative musical knowledge or collecting, but like Brad, I'm old; like HRS everything I buy is by necessity imported (and often expensive); like many I do collect music both physically and digitally. Several times in my life I've lived more than five hours travel from the nearest music venue or record store (fortunately not now). Just today, I've commented on my preference for non-US acts, how a recent record was overproduced, said I preferred an acts' earlier stuff, etc. (I did visit my favourite record store today, because tomorrow will be just too crowded with all those posers looking for coloured vinyl 7 inches. How I hate those newbies! :P )

What I hope I've never done is actually "shame" anyone for their different musical tastes. That's why record stores have more than one section, you know?

Oh, and on my one and only foray into internet dating (I'm lonely, but I ain't that lonely yet.) the one and only potential who contacted me I chose to ignore... because of her expressed musical interests.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I got just a 17, and the same response as Jirin's (aka the popular one). I definitely am surprised that so many of you guys are, and pardon if this comes off as sounding rude, kind of shallow regarding your girlfriends and/or friends and musical tastes. I, personally, would certainly not date somebody who had diametrically opposed musical (or aesthetic tastes in general), but just because they like a couple of acts or genres that I'm not exactly into wouldn't turn me off from a woman immediately. My parents absolutely share a love of, say, the Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Prince, and jazz, but they don't necessarily like all of the same music. My mom can't stand some of my dad's favorites (i.e. The VU, The Stooges, Little Feat...), and vice versa for her's (Aerosmith, Madonna, Kate Bush...) but, going on 20 years, their love is still going strong, and they would happily buy each other records of those acts they don't care for. I have always greatly admired this, and hate it when people turn down others over even ONE freakin' act.

Honestly, I also feel (and please don't take this the wrong way, once again) that this "music nerd/snob" mindset is the kind of mentality that turns a lot of women off of music forums. I thought this forum was a little more enlightened than this unfortunate "mansplaining" trend, but alas... Maybe I was wrong.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

My wife and I don't agree on that much, musically. She doesn't usually care for listening to albums end to end, if she can pick and choose. I can't stand new music she likes. But I have a pretty blasé attitude about the whole thing.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

You guys would actually dump a girl over musical tastes?

...I just wouldn't listen to a lot of music with her around. *shrug*
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Jirin wrote:You guys would actually dump a girl over musical tastes?
Abso-Fucking-lutely
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'm sorry, but if anybody actually would dump or not date someone based solely on their music tastes, then you see seriously need to reevaluate your priorities in life.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Nick wrote:I'm sorry, but if anybody actually would dump or not date someone based solely on their music tastes, then you see seriously need to reevaluate your priorities in life.
I totally disagree. Didn't you see "High Fidelity?" It's not what you're like, it's what you like that's important. I could not be around somebody who hated the music I love, and who loved a lot of music that I hate.

To me, anybody who would not date someone because of their religious beliefs needs to reevaluate their priorities in life.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Not to stereotype but those i'm into tend to adore the Frozen soundtrack, Cher. Gaga, Gloria Trevi, and Madonna who i can handle (up to '02 at least) but cant stand her personality wise so i really have to bite my lip. Although i do enjoy Cher's older work but thats not a snobby hipster thing to say since 90s Cher was basically the Godmother of top 40 autotune.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Bruce wrote:
Nick wrote:I'm sorry, but if anybody actually would dump or not date someone based solely on their music tastes, then you see seriously need to reevaluate your priorities in life.
I totally disagree. Didn't you see "High Fidelity?" It's not what you're like, it's what you like that's important. I could not be around somebody who hated the music I love, and who loved a lot of music that I hate.

To me, anybody who would not date someone because of their religious beliefs needs to reevaluate their priorities in life.
Don't get me wrong, musical taste is definitely a huge plus (or minus) when it comes to dating for me, but it is by no means a deal breaker. No two people on the planet have musical tastes that line up exactly, but you'll almost always find some overlap. Some of my past girlfriend's have hated a lot of music that I love, but we were able to find music we both liked and bonded over that. But everyone is different, and we all have different priorities when it comes to this.

And as for the religious thing, I am personally an atheist, but I could date someone who was religious. But in all honesty, I really could never date someone who was REALLY REALLY religious. But hey, that's just me.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Although my wife is much less interested in music than I am, we share a similar sonic preference, if that make sense. She always prefers to listen to The xx or Massive Attack over some noisier stuff. That's also a general preference for me, although I like all kinds of music.

It feels more important though, that we have a similar taste when it comes to film. Interestingly (in this context) is that one of very few films we have very separate opinions of is "This Is Spinal Tap". I don't need to say who's the fan.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

My gf really hates Kanye and that really annoys me.
I feel like that
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Nick wrote: And as for the religious thing, I am personally an atheist, but I could date someone who was religious. But in all honesty, I really could never date someone who was REALLY REALLY religious. But hey, that's just me.
I could date someone who's really, really religious.

But, I don't think I could reproduce with someone who is, because she'd want to make our children really, really religious.

Music is a hobby to me, but if I'm with somebody who doesn't share that hobby we just do other things together. It's a plus to have similar music tastes, but feelings for a human being are much better than feelings for music. Just my opinion, of course.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

I scored a 30. I agree that some of the questions are silly, but it's just for fun. :)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”