Strange Fruit

June's here

Post by notdarkyet »

:happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Re: June's here

Post by Nick »

Now to begin my marathon of feverishly refreshing the AM home page.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Now to commence my wait with ungrateful head-pounding, lol :angry-banghead:
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Given the work that Henrik's indicated he still needs to do, I wouldn't expect the update until the latter part of the month. I certainly hope no one's repeatedly refreshing right now and saying, "Where is it? WHERE IS IT?!?!?"

(I may or may not have been guilty of doing this in the past...)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Yeah, Henrik seems to have a bit more to go. Luckily, from what he's been doing, this promises to be the best update yet. It should be worth the wait.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Yeah, don't refresh until the 30th(-ish).

I haven't added the 2013 albums and songs yet, but most of the things around the extensive addition of older songs have been made now.

The bad news...
I planned for an 8,000 list this time and extend it to 10,000 next year, but I am quite certain that the list will not include more than 6,000 (ranked) songs this time.

The good news...
The reason for the 6,000 limit is that I can't assure you that I have included every song (or almost every song) that would make a top 8,000, as recent years are doing a little better than I expected. But if the addition of another 2,000 songs or so lies heavier on recent songs I am quite certain that it will be possible to build a top 10,000 list next year without having to include a lot of songs based on just one critics' list, since there are more lists from recent years (lots of EOY lists).
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Henrik, is the album list being expanded as well, or will that remain at 3000 (plus "bubbling under") for now?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Harold wrote:Henrik, is the album list being expanded as well, or will that remain at 3000 (plus "bubbling under") for now?
It will remain at 3000. I hope to expand it to at least 4000 next year, but it's a lot more work to find out what albums are "bubbling outside", as albums can make it only based on ratings from various guides.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

That bad news is good news for me. I am one of the people who doesn't necessarily want MORE inclusion. I think 3,000 + bubblers is pretty extensive as it is, and already contains more than a few clunkers around 2,500 - 3,000 (many more underrated gems, though, so I still love that it goes so high). But if we keep increasing the number just so we can include a higher amount of decent-to-solid works, we will also be including a higher percentage of mediocre works. And when do we stop? If we go to 10,000, someone will want 15,000, etcera.... There will ALWAYS be great music that is missing.

Sorry for the long rant. Anyway, the point of all that was, don't feel bad Henrik, for "only" doing 6,000 this update. That's still more than enough, in my opinion. And thanks in advance for all the work! Can't wait 'til later this month!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Quick question, Henrik (and one that I think you may have already answered for me a while ago): How will this expanded songs list update effect the artist rankings? Maybe it won't at all, but I was just curious...

Very excited for the next update! Keep up the hard work, Henrik! It is always greatly appreciated :greetings-waveyellow:
VanillaFire1000
Let's Get It On

Post by VanillaFire1000 »

Ah, the wait is excruciating. Henrik is the GRRM of statisticians.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

JimmyJazz wrote:Quick question, Henrik (and one that I think you may have already answered for me a while ago): How will this expanded songs list update effect the artist rankings? Maybe it won't at all, but I was just curious...
I haven't gotten to this point yet...
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

I could scream I'm so excited.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

These updates are like a second Christmas, and Henrik is our mathematically inclined Santa Claus.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait two extra weeks to see the update, assuming it happens on June 30 as planned. But I will keep a close watch on the site for as long as I can.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I'm particularly excited for this update, because after it I get to start the new bracketology. :D
Of course, I can't even begin to fathom the amount of work Henrik puts into these updates, on top of his real job, so thank you for that. :happy-wavemulticolor:
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'm getting increasingly excited. We're in the last week of waiting if it's still on track to meeting the deadline. *hype hype hype*
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Splish splash, I was raking in the cash

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”