Site update

Harold
Into the Groove

Re: Site update

Post by Harold »

In honor of what will be the highest-ranked new song, here's a prediction of how Henrik and the rest of us will be spending the rest of the weekend:

He's up all night to the sun
We can't go out to get some
He's up all night with no fun
'Cause we're up all night to get lucky!
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

I'm boppin' to it, Harold. :happy-partydance:
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Mika wrote:
Harold wrote: I own all of the current top 3000, so I've listened to all of them. Once the update is posted I'll have to see how many of the new entries I don't have yet (I'm fairly certain I already have all the 2013 albums that have a reasonable chance of making it in).
Wow, you have them in various formats I guess (vinyl,cd,digital)? I see there are some out of print records on the list or at least cd is missing.
I have them all on CD (although a few were digital downloads that I burned to disc). I had to get creative with some of the out-of-print entries - most notably, as longtime readers of this forum may remember, the Otis Redding/Jimi Hendrix Monterey Pop Festival album has never been reissued on CD, but the entire contents are available on Rhino's Otis Redding anthology Dreams to Remember and the full-length (also out of print) Hendrix Monterey CD.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Is In the Aeroplane Over the Sea going to be the highest song off that album, too? That's so strange to me. Holland 1945 is the one I always hear people talk about, and if not that, Oh Comely. Oh Comely might be the best song to still not have any representation on this site while a lesser song off the same album shoots up.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Harold wrote:In honor of what will be the highest-ranked new song, here's a prediction of how Henrik and the rest of us will be spending the rest of the weekend:

He's up all night to the sun
We can't go out to get some
He's up all night with no fun
'Cause we're up all night to get lucky!
Like the legend of the Swedish...
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henrik wrote:I might regret this, as there's still a lot of work to be done until the update (I came home from the holiday late last night), but I see no reason for the songs list to change, so...

Here are the answers to questions 2-5, assuming no one is still pondering these question.

2. Songs in the new all-time top 100 that are currently not in the top 100:

3. 5 highest-ranked "new" songs (excluding songs in the EOY 2013 spreadsheet):
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (1998)
Los Fabulosos Cadillacs - Matador (1993)
Brian Eno - Needles in the Camel's Eye (1973)
David Bowie - Station to Station (1976)
Sousa's Band - The Stars and Stripes Forever (1897)

Nice mix, ain't it?

4. Ranking for the best newcomer (excluding songs in the EOY 2013 spreadsheet):
1188 ("In the Aeroplane Over the Sea")

5. All-time rank for "Get Lucky":
Congratulations to LukeJR68, who got the right answer!
It's just incredible how many of you who were really close on this one!
PlasticRam 44
JR, Kingoftonga and Nick 45
GucciLittlePiggy 49
46 has got to be a correct result then! :D
This is my deleted post, in full. I can now confirm that there are no changes to these numbers. The only thing that could be debated is the release year of that Enop song...

Also, question 1 - Albums in the new all-time top 100 that are currently not in the top 100:
Answer: 4
Congratulations to Listyguy and Kingoftonga, who got the right answer!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

Henrik wrote: 3. 5 highest-ranked "new" songs (excluding songs in the EOY 2013 spreadsheet):
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (1998)
Los Fabulosos Cadillacs - Matador (1993)
Sousa's Band - The Stars and Stripes Forever (1897)

Nice mix, ain't it?
Well, I'm pleased I was correct on "Station to Station," though I'm disappointed I forgot about "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea." I remember when I first browsed the list of songs being added, I saw that song and thought how much I wanted it to rank highly. It's always been easily my favorite track from that album.
BleuPanda wrote:Is In the Aeroplane Over the Sea going to be the highest song off that album, too? That's so strange to me. Holland 1945 is the one I always hear people talk about, and if not that, Oh Comely. Oh Comely might be the best song to still not have any representation on this site while a lesser song off the same album shoots up.
That's kind of strange, because I actually seem to hear as much about "Aeroplane" as "Holland 1945"
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik wrote: 5. All-time rank for "Get Lucky":
Never heard of it before. I just listened to it on youtube. For a modern record it's pretty good, reminiscent of early 80s stuff.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

I'm really happy for these two excellents songs :

And for Eno, I really hope to see his two first albums climb in the top list. It's two very underrated album, as good as the Bowie albums of this time.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Bruce wrote:
Henrik wrote: 5. All-time rank for "Get Lucky":
Never heard of it before. I just listened to it on youtube. For a modern record it's pretty good, reminiscent of early 80s stuff.
Good to hear from you, Bruce.

"Get Lucky" is really amazing.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Henrik, any chance you can tell us what the highest album jump for a non-2013 album is? Not what the album is even, just how high of a spot leap, and maybe the ranking of said album?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Jonathon wrote:Henrik, any chance you can tell us what the highest album jump for a non-2013 album is?
Jonathon wrote:just how high of a spot leap, and maybe the ranking of said album?
You can't fool me... ;)
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Henrik wrote:
Jonathon wrote:Henrik, any chance you can tell us what the highest album jump for a non-2013 album is?
Jonathon wrote:just how high of a spot leap, and maybe the ranking of said album?
You can't fool me... ;)
Aw okay, one more. How many new albums are in the top 500, and did any make any significant leaps to get there?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

OK, here are some statistics while you are waiting...

Top 500 Albums
24 new albums (including 2013 albums)
Biggest climb into the top 500: Boards of Canada - "Music Has the Right to Children" (from 683)

Top 1000 Albums
70 new albums (including 2013 albums)
Biggest climb into the top 1000: Adele - "21" (from 2176) - the 1235 places climber

Top 500 Songs
58 new songs (including 2013 songs)
Biggest climb into the top 500: Nick Drake - "Pink Moon" (from 1522)

Top 1000 Songs
106 new songs (including 2013 songs)
Biggest climb into the top 1000: Pink Floyd - "Comfortably Numb" (from 2295)

Edit:
I'll give you the biggest jumps of the current bubbling unders as well.
Best placed album: Oval - "94 Diskont" (1816)
Best placed song: Amy Winehouse - "Back to Black" (1012)
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

Wow, that is a lot of change in the top 1000... Not to overtax your generosity Henrik, but are there any particularly noteworthy topples you would like to share with us to go with all these massive gains ;) ?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Also, a question I've always wondered: what exactly causes an album to have a massive drop? Gains are made by making more lists, but I've never been able to understand the opposite. Are certain lists removed or replaced over time?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

BleuPanda wrote:Also, a question I've always wondered: what exactly causes an album to have a massive drop? Gains are made by making more lists, but I've never been able to understand the opposite. Are certain lists removed or replaced over time?
A massive drop is usually the result of lists having been deleted. For example it has been revealed that a list was a readers' list, or I suspect that a list sent to me was completely fake.

Drops also happens because I change the algorithm. The more time I spend with the lists, the more ideas I get to improve the formula.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I knew "21" by Adele was going to make a great leap! I'm certain that it will be in the top 500 once end of the decade lists start rolling in. It really does have the perfect combination of critical acclaim and commercial success.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Henrik wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:Also, a question I've always wondered: what exactly causes an album to have a massive drop? Gains are made by making more lists, but I've never been able to understand the opposite. Are certain lists removed or replaced over time?
A massive drop is usually the result of lists having been deleted. For example it has been revealed that a list was a readers' list, or I suspect that a list sent to me was completely fake.

Drops also happens because I change the algorithm. The more time I spend with the lists, the more ideas I get to improve the formula.
Don't albums start to lose ground simply on the principle of not winding up on new lists? I.E. If you're not getting better, you're getting worse?

That's how I figured Neon Bible dropped so precipitously.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Luke JR68 wrote:Wow, that is a lot of change in the top 1000... Not to overtax your generosity Henrik, but are there any particularly noteworthy topples you would like to share with us to go with all these massive gains ;) ?
OK, just once more then... Here are the biggest climbers relative to the current positions (without revealing where they will end up...):

Albums
1. Adele - 21
2. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
3. The Horrors - Primary Colours
4. GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords
5. Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

Songs
1. Nick Drake - Pink Moon
2. Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
3. Jay-Z and Kanye West - Niggas in Paris
4. David Bowie - Life on Mars?
5. The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Jonathon wrote:
Henrik wrote:

Don't albums start to lose ground simply on the principle of not winding up on new lists? I.E. If you're not getting better, you're getting worse?

That's how I figured Neon Bible dropped so precipitously.
Yes, of course.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Henrik wrote:
Luke JR68 wrote:Wow, that is a lot of change in the top 1000... Not to overtax your generosity Henrik, but are there any particularly noteworthy topples you would like to share with us to go with all these massive gains ;) ?
OK, just once more then... Here are the biggest climbers relative to the current positions (without revealing where they will end up...):

Albums
1. Adele - 21

Songs
That is awesome. MBDTF will hopefully be all time top 50 in a few years. The Horrors needs more love. All five of those songs are criminally underrated currently and deserve big jumps. I was excited for the 3000 additional songs, but I'm definitely liking the other movements I'm seeing.
Luke JR68
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Luke JR68 »

I agree with Jonathan here, all of those songs are fantastic and entirely deserve their upward movement... Thank you once again Henrik :D
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

What new songs will be added in the 1950s?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bruce wrote:What new songs will be added in the 1950s?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1843&start=50#p25935
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik wrote:
Chuck Berry - Bye Bye Johnny (1959)

This should be 1960.

Pérez Prado - Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White (1955)

This is 1954.

Johnny Burnette - Rock Billy Boogie (1957)

This is 1956.

Billy Vaughn - Sail Along, Silvery Moon (1958)

This is 1957.

Buster Brown - Fannie Mae (1960)

This is 1959.

Gloria Jones - Tainted Love (1965)

This is 1964.
Last edited by Bruce on Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

So sad to see so much drinking of the Kanye West social media cool-aid. Great to see Liquid Swords climbing though, much better album than MBDTF.

What was the general trend for non-Anglophone records? Two years ago it seemed a lot of the biggest gainers were French and Spanish albums. Did that same trend continue or did it taper off?
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik wrote:
Glad to see four new entries for Fats:

Fats Domino - Whole Lotta Loving (1958)
Fats Domino - I'm Gonna Be a Wheel Some Day (1959)
Fats Domino - I'm Ready (1959)
Fats Domino - Let the Four Winds Blow (1961)
digifuwill
Are You Experienced?

Post by digifuwill »

Stunned that those Fats songs weren't already in.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

It looks like MBDTF is poised to enter the top 150 this update. If this album overtakes "Channel Orange" then I think it's safe to say MBDTF will be the overall consensus pick for album of the decade when 2019 rolls around. It's no secret that albums released in the first half of the decade tend to fare better on the end of decade lists, so I don't really think any album from the later half of the decade has a shot at the album of the decade title. When all is said and done, MBDTF will almost certainly reach the top 50 of all time, where it rightfully deserves to be.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Nick wrote:It looks like MBDTF is poised to enter the top 150 this update. If this album overtakes "Channel Orange" then I think it's safe to say MBDTF will be the overall consensus pick for album of the decade when 2019 rolls around. ... When all is said and done, MBDTF will almost certainly reach the top 50 of all time, where it rightfully deserves to be.
Hear, hear. All due respect to Jirin, but I'm sorry - the backlash (oft-deserved, to be sure) against Kanye West, International Celebrity/Kardashian Konsort/Self-Confessed Douchebag too often spills over into (mostly) undeserved backlash against Kanye West, Artist Who Really Is (Almost) As Gifted As He Thinks He Is.

I like to think I'm capable of recognizing when an album is overrated, and to me, MBDTF absolutely does not fall into that category - in fact, before it started appearing on all these recent all-time lists, I actually thought it was being underrated and that its AM rank was absurdly low. When I first listened to the album, I started thinking it was an instant classic about 90 seconds into the opening track, and by the time it was over I was as galvanized and exhilarated as I've ever been on a first listen to anything. I wouldn't call it a perfect record - there's a bit of a lull in the middle, between "All of the Lights" and "Runaway" (except for Nicki Minaj's part on "Monster"), and yes, the Chris Rock coda on "Blame Game" (the rest of which is an astonishing track, by the way) goes on way too long - but, for me, MBDTF is not only far and away the best album of the current decade, it tops pretty much every album from the preceding one as well. I'm thrilled that it's poised to make a huge jump in this update.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Harold wrote:
Nick wrote:It looks like MBDTF is poised to enter the top 150 this update. If this album overtakes "Channel Orange" then I think it's safe to say MBDTF will be the overall consensus pick for album of the decade when 2019 rolls around. ... When all is said and done, MBDTF will almost certainly reach the top 50 of all time, where it rightfully deserves to be.
Hear, hear. All due respect to Jirin, but I'm sorry - the backlash (oft-deserved, to be sure) against Kanye West, International Celebrity/Kardashian Konsort/Self-Confessed Douchebag too often spills over into (mostly) undeserved backlash against Kanye West, Artist Who Really Is (Almost) As Gifted As He Thinks He Is.

I like to think I'm capable of recognizing when an album is overrated, and to me, MBDTF absolutely does not fall into that category - in fact, before it started appearing on all these recent all-time lists, I actually thought it was being underrated and that its AM rank was absurdly low. When I first listened to the album, I started thinking it was an instant classic about 90 seconds into the opening track, and by the time it was over I was as galvanized and exhilarated as I've ever been on a first listen to anything. I wouldn't call it a perfect record - there's a bit of a lull in the middle, between "All of the Lights" and "Runaway" (except for Nicki Minaj's part on "Monster"), and yes, the Chris Rock coda on "Blame Game" (the rest of which is an astonishing track, by the way) goes on way too long - but, for me, MBDTF is not only far and away the best album of the current decade, it tops pretty much every album from the preceding one as well. I'm thrilled that it's poised to make a huge jump in this update.
I agree completely. The recent rise in acclaim for MBDTF is anything but a result of Kanye's social media hype. Social media hype will get you attention, but it won't get your album a placement in the top 200 albums of all time, a 94/100 on Metacritic, 5 stars from Rolling Stone, the first perfect 10 from Pitchfork in 8 years, a 33 1/3 book, the highest rated album of the decade on RYM, etc., etc., etc.

My reaction was very similar to yours upon first hearing the album. I already had high expectations for it, but upon hearing it in full I was so blown away that I had to immediately put the album on again and listen to the whole thing one more time. It's now in my top 20 albums of all time, and I've even go so far as to write a 16 page essay on why I love it so much.

It's pretty awesome.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Nick wrote: Social media hype will get you attention, but it won't get your album ... 5 stars from Rolling Stone, the first perfect 10 from Pitchfork in 8 years ...
Well ... I wouldn't necessarily be overly impressed by those two things. It is impressive, though, for RS to give a 5-star rating to an album made by anyone born later than 1950.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Harold wrote: It is impressive, though, for RS to give a 5-star rating to an album made by anyone born later than 1950.
That's more of what I was going for. Nobody bats an eye when Rolling Stone hands out a 5 to the new Dylan/U2/Springsteen/etc. album, but for them to give it to a (relatively) young rap artist is pretty impressive.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Is Today still the goal?
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Bob Kuban - The Cheater (1965)

The artist here is Bob Kuban and the In-Men

Lucky Millinder & His Orchestra - Who Threw the Whiskey in the Well (1945)

The vocalist on this is Wynonie Harris.

Sonny and Cher - The Beat Goes On (1967)

This is 1966.

Hugo Montenegro - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1968)

This is 1967.

Tommy James and The Shondells - Crystal Blue Persuasion (1969)

This is 1968.

Tommy Roe - Dizzy (1969)

This is 1968.

James Brown - Super Bad (1970)

Correct title is "Call Me Super Bad"

Ray Stevens - Ray Stevens (1970)

I assume this is a typo and the song is "Everything is Beautiful"

Joe Tex - I Gotcha (1972)

This is 1971.

War - The Cisco Kid (1973)

This is 1972.
Last edited by Bruce on Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Henrik wrote: A massive drop is usually the result of lists having been deleted. For example it has been revealed that a list was a readers' list, or I suspect that a list sent to me was completely fake.

Fake lists ? You seriously have guy who sent you fake list? It's crazy.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henrik wrote:

Albums
1. Adele - 21

Songs
Good morning. I hoped to see where "Gimme Shelter" is going to be.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Nick wrote:it won't get your album a placement in the top 200 albums of all time, a 94/100 on Metacritic, 5 stars from Rolling Stone, the first perfect 10 from Pitchfork in 8 years, a 33 1/3 book
Oh no, I haven't updated the 33 1/3 list with the most recent books! Oh well, there will always be things like this. If the update is going to happen today, I can't add more things.

I will correct the years you changed though, Bruce. Thanks!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bruce wrote:Pérez Prado - Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White (1955)
This is 1954.

This is 1964.
I can't find any evidence for these years.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bruce wrote:Sonny and Cher - The Beat Goes On (1967)
This is 1966.

This is 1967.

This is 1968.

Tommy Roe - Dizzy (1969)
This is 1968.

This is 1971.
I can't find any evidence for these changes either.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I'm not a huge fan of rap, but I love MBDTF.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

With MBDTF making huge gains, I would not be surprised if "Runaway" entered the top 500 songs. Though I kinda wish it could be "Power" instead.

I doubt it will happen, but it would be funny if a song in the current top 3000 falls to bubbling under in the update, even with the expanded number of ranked songs.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
audioclectic
Are You Experienced?

Post by audioclectic »

Henrik wrote:
This is 1966.

Tommy Roe - Dizzy (1969)
This is 1968.

The Beat Goes On entered the Billboard charts on Week Ending January 14, 1967 at #72 (the week began on January 8) and never bubbled under. Very likely 1966.

Dizzy bubbled under on Week Ending January 4, 1969. That week started on December 28, 1968. Highly unlikely that it is correct to call it 1969.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik wrote:
Bruce wrote:Pérez Prado - Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White (1955)
This is 1954.

This is 1964.
I can't find any evidence for these years.
The Prado was reviewed as a new release in December 1954. The Gloria Jones is listed as 1964 in all of the price guides. There's lots of sites that list it as 1964.

http://www.last.fm/music/Gloria+Jones/_ ... Love(1964)
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Henrik wrote:
This is 1966.

This is 1967.

This is 1968.

Tommy Roe - Dizzy (1969)
This is 1968.

This is 1971.
"Crystal Blue Persuaion" is on the Crimson and Clover album which was released late in 1968.

"The Beat Goes On" was reveiwed as a new release in Dec 1966, same as "For What It's Worth."

"The Hugo Montenegro is RCA 9423. Released in Dec 1967.

"Dizzy" is ABC 11164. Here's the review in the Dec 7, 1968 issue of Billboard.

http://books.google.com/books?id=oyIEAA ... ZY&f=false

Here's a Billboard spotlight on "I Gotcha" from Dec 18, 1971.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ng8EAA ... 10&f=false
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Henrik wrote:

Albums
1. Adele - 21

Songs
This has me absurdly excited. The Lonesome Crowded West easily deserves a spot in the top 500; the fact that it still isn't even in the top 1000 is shameful. And every single one of those songs is among their respective artists' best works and their heightened position is great to see. Also, so relieve that Music Has the Right to Children is getting the recognition it deserves as a masterpiece.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

Henrik wrote:OK, here are some statistics while you are waiting...
Top 500 Albums
Biggest climb into the top 500: Boards of Canada - "Music Has the Right to Children" (from 683)
Henrik wrote: Albums
1. Adele - 21
So, Music Has the Right to Children is making at least a 183 spot jump yet it's not even in the top five album jumps as listed above. Given Dark Fantasy is now at 220th all time, does that mean it will be jumping to at least 37th all time (220-183=37)? Correct me if I'm wrong, cuz that seems too incredible to be true...
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Is the update today?
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

GucciLittlePiggy wrote:
Henrik wrote:OK, here are some statistics while you are waiting...
Top 500 Albums
Henrik wrote: Albums
1. Adele - 21
So, Music Has the Right to Children is making at least a 183 spot jump yet it's not even in the top five album jumps as listed above. Given Dark Fantasy is now at 220th all time, does that mean it will be jumping to at least 37th all time (220-183=37)? Correct me if I'm wrong, cuz that seems too incredible to be true...
It's based on percent gain, so give the BOC album gained at least 26%, so MBDTF will be at least 162, probably much higher. I'm expecting top 100.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”