Alternative artists list

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Alternative artists list

Post by Jirin »

Henrik wrote:
Jirin wrote:Henrik, I understand weighting albums and songs equally but I don't understand the step where you multiply the albums score based on how good the songs score is. Doesn't this just penalize albums who have consistent albums but don't care about catchy singles, the same way the old formula penalized pre album-era artists?

Why not just have whichever is higher between the songs and albums totals weight higher for that artist? That way album artists rise based on strength of albums and singles artists rise based on strength of singles.
That's just a thing for pre-1965 songs, under the hypothesis that if it wasn't before the album era, the artists behind those songs would also have acclaimed albums. Pre-1965 albums (mainly jazz albums) are not boosted, as they are acclaimed already as it is. Wouldn't it be weird to assume that those albums would be more acclaimed if the album era started say 1890 for all genres?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your formula, but multiplying the raw album score by (song score / album score) seems like it's dragging down the album score for any artist that doesn't have a high song score.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Bruce wrote:
Live in Phoenix wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote:no less than Robert Christgau, one of the foremost rock critics of all time, has him as one of his Top 5 Favorite Artists)
Christgau is not one to hold back, yet still I was surprised with his review of Louis’s Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man: 1923-1934 from 1994, which begins: “I don’t mean to start a parlor game, but does greatest artist of the 20th century mean anything to you? I mean, who else you got? Picasso? Joyce? Renoir? Elvis?”
The Killers?
You're getting out of your loop there, buddy.
Bruce
Feeling Good

Post by Bruce »

Setherex wrote:
Bruce wrote:
The Killers
The Killers are ranked higher than Armstrong on the AM song list.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Bruce wrote:
Setherex wrote:
Bruce wrote:
The Killers
The Killers are ranked higher than Armstrong on the AM song list.
I was actually referring to the 20th century thing ;)
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Henrik, do bubblers help an artist's ranking at all, or would having 5 songs and no bubblers result in the same rank as having 5 songs, and 4 bubblers?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Jonathon wrote:Henrik, do bubblers help an artist's ranking at all, or would having 5 songs and no bubblers result in the same rank as having 5 songs, and 4 bubblers?
They do not help the ranking at all. The reason why I haven't ranked the bubblers is that other songs might be ahead of them. For example I included a lot more albums and songs from 2013 than from 2012, and this was because I have "bigger plans" than I did a year ago. I don't think that artists with 2013 releases should have an advantage because of this. So while this might seem unfair to artists with bubblers, it wouldn't be really fair to include them either.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Henrik wrote:
Jonathon wrote:Henrik, do bubblers help an artist's ranking at all, or would having 5 songs and no bubblers result in the same rank as having 5 songs, and 4 bubblers?
They do not help the ranking at all. The reason why I haven't ranked the bubblers is that other songs might be ahead of them. For example I included a lot more albums and songs from 2013 than from 2012, and this was because I have "bigger plans" than I did a year ago. I don't think that artists with 2013 releases should have an advantage because of this. So while this might seem unfair to artists with bubblers, it wouldn't be really fair to include them either.
Makes sense.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

Henrik, any estimated time when the new artist rankings will be posted? You're probably working on the errors thread and such, but just figured I'd ask, in case others also were wondering. Thanks. :)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

The errors have kept coming in, while I have spent most of the time working out that Mod issue. But I suppose it's about time to make the update. Probably within a week.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”