Question for Moonbeam (about his program)

Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Question for Moonbeam (about his program)

Post by Listyguy »

Ok, so I'm wondering if there's anyway to reset the program?
John
Let's Get It On

Re: Question for Moonbeam (about his program)

Post by John »

Unzip everything into a new folder like when you first set it up and then copy your Album List.txt from the current folder into the new one. Maybe there is a better way, but that should work.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

John wrote:Unzip everything into a new folder like when you first set it up and then copy your Album List.txt from the current folder into the new one. Maybe there is a better way, but that should work.
This will work. Another way is to do the following:

1. Open the "Album Ranker.txt" file.
2. Change the line "reset.all = F" to "reset.all = T" and save.
3. Run the Album Ranker program once.
4. Open the "Album Ranker.txt" file.
5. Change the line back to "reset.all = F".
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Quick question. Is your guide Windows only? I recommended this to my friend (a mac user), so we downloaded and installed the Mac version of it, but it still doesn't work. He gave me this screenshot, and I could make nothing of it - http://i.imgur.com/XVelo.png
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

This is indeed a Windows guide only. I have no expertise with Mac, but I imagine it should be ok. My feeling is that perhaps the spaces in the program/folder name may be an issue? If that's the case, the "Album List.txt" file and "Album Ranker.txt" file will need to be renamed to remove the space, AND within the "Album Ranker.txt" file, the reference to "Album List.txt" would need to be changed.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Moonbeam, does your latest version give higher weights to recent votes? If so, could you please post the link to where I can find the program. Thanks!

Edit: I just started on a new txt file with over 800 songs. How many match-ups are needed before I get a proper ranking? After about 20 matchups the #1 is a song that has not been included in a matchup yet.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

I would imagine the songs need to be matched with other songs at least once, so 400 matchups, but it took me about 200-300 matchups to get a decent list out of 100 albums. If that means you'd need 1600-2400 matchups, I don't know.
Greg Rumpff
Strange Fruit

Post by Greg Rumpff »

I'd also like the link for downloading the program....
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Henrik wrote:Moonbeam, does your latest version give higher weights to recent votes? If so, could you please post the link to where I can find the program. Thanks!

Edit: I just started on a new txt file with over 800 songs. How many match-ups are needed before I get a proper ranking? After about 20 matchups the #1 is a song that has not been included in a matchup yet.
Hi Henrik,

There is no weighting for time of comparison. That's something I'm considering adding in the future (once I'm done with my PhD!).

To answer your next question, it depends on your definition of "proper". The default setting is to cycle through songs by number of matchups, so songs that have featured in the fewest matchups should come up first. My own song list has around 2450 songs and I'm starting to get happy with the results after each song has been in about 15 matchups.

For anyone who wants it, here is the download link to the program and instructions on how to use it!
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

15 times around is where I started to be happy with the results as well on both my albums and movie lists.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Hi Moonbeam!

Any chance you could "re-share" this program? Mine got wiped out and it looks like all the file shares have expired again.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Actually, I was able to recover, so I'm good!
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Hey MB, if you want I can host it on my website so it doesn't expire.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Hello! Long time lurker, big time fan of the site!

I have always wondered how you folk rank your albums and songs. This program seems like the answer. I'd love to have a look and see how you calculate.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Stephan wrote:Hey MB, if you want I can host it on my website so it doesn't expire.
That would be great! Can you send me your email address so I can send it to you?
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

You have a PM!
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Here's a link to version 3.0 of Moonbeam's Album Ranker: http://www.neoptolemos.com/AM/AM%20Albu ... %203.0.zip
TimmyWing
Different Class

Post by TimmyWing »

Thank you so much - I've been looking for this everywhere!
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

I thought I'd just mention that you should make sure that none of your titles end with a ' " '. I attempted to make a songs list with Liz Phair's 6'1" in it and this occurred! I was left half terrified for a moment.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

that same thing happened to me... it went nuts! (now the song is called "6-1")
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Would it be possible to create an online version of the program, where we would all have access to the same list? Perhaps it would be possible to set it up with a check-in/check-out function, and limit the number of votes to say 10 per day and person. That would be really cool, wouldn't it?
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Henrik wrote:Would it be possible to create an online version of the program, where we would all have access to the same list? Perhaps it would be possible to set it up with a check-in/check-out function, and limit the number of votes to say 10 per day and person. That would be really cool, wouldn't it?
That would be cool! What list(s) did you have in mind? The top 3000 albums and songs? If so, I'd suggest a slight variation on the scoring so that it doesn't take so long to converge. I'd also wonder how we could prevent a situation whereby 2 people are accessing the list at the same time. It sounds like a blast, though!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Moonbeam wrote:
Henrik wrote:Would it be possible to create an online version of the program, where we would all have access to the same list? Perhaps it would be possible to set it up with a check-in/check-out function, and limit the number of votes to say 10 per day and person. That would be really cool, wouldn't it?
That would be cool! What list(s) did you have in mind? The top 3000 albums and songs? If so, I'd suggest a slight variation on the scoring so that it doesn't take so long to converge. I'd also wonder how we could prevent a situation whereby 2 people are accessing the list at the same time. It sounds like a blast, though!
Yes, the albums and songs on AM could be used. I would love that of course! Whatever the list is, an "I don't know both albums" option would probably be necessary.

Anyone here who can create a mobile app? Doesn't it sound great with an app where you could hear samples from songs and then order them to contribute to a massive collaborative list!? It sounds to me like it could be the way to wealth!! You already have a filter function, so it would probably not be difficult to arrange so that people could choose to compare songs from say a specific genre (if we add genre tags), year or the all-time top 100.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Henrik wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:
Yes, the albums and songs on AM could be used. I would love that of course! Whatever the list is, an "I don't know both albums" option would probably be necessary.

Anyone here who can create a mobile app? Doesn't it sound great with an app where you could hear samples from songs and then order them to contribute to a massive collaborative list!? It sounds to me like it could be the way to wealth!! You already have a filter function, so it would probably not be difficult to arrange so that people could choose to compare songs from say a specific genre (if we add genre tags), year or the all-time top 100.
I'm on board! Baby's due any day now, though, so I wouldn't be able to contribute right away.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Moonbeam wrote:I'm on board!
Wow, cool! I didn't think my ideas were very realistic...!

Most of all though, GOOD LUCK WITH THE BABY!!!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Henrik wrote: Anyone here who can create a mobile app?
I know java, but that's about it.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Sorry to bring this back up after so long, but I have a question. If you're adding albums/songs to the list in Excel, do you have to manually add the ID numbers?
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

If I may answer, you don't have to put an ID column in your text file, though it is nice to have one in your excel file, so you can reorganise the list however you like. So the answer is no, but it's better if you do.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Okay, I have a problem. When I opened the program, it was set to set=artist("Elton John"). So I tried putting it to set="balanced", but when I tried to start the comparison cycle, I got this message:

Error in sample.int(length(x), size, replace, prob) :
cannot take a sample larger than the population when 'replace = FALSE'

I tried setting it to set=artist("Gorillaz") and it worked as it is supposed to. I tried to set it back to set="balanced" again, and it didn't work.

Has anyone else faced this problem?

EDIT: Wow, stupid me. The command is "balance", not "balanced". It's working fine now.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Sorry to resurrect this, but I'm getting an "Error in rep(0, add) : invalid 'times' argument" error when I try to source("Album Ranker.txt"). Any idea why this is happening?
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Hi Moonbeam, where can I find your program?
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Bruno wrote:Hi Moonbeam, where can I find your program?
The link Stephan provided for us is where you can find it. Remember to make sure you read Moonbeam's directions very carefully...
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Henrik wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:35 pm Would it be possible to create an online version of the program, where we would all have access to the same list? Perhaps it would be possible to set it up with a check-in/check-out function, and limit the number of votes to say 10 per day and person. That would be really cool, wouldn't it?
All these years later I haven't forgotten this suggestion... perhaps allourideas.org could be used to make a rudimentary version of this?
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:34 am
Henrik wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:35 pm Would it be possible to create an online version of the program, where we would all have access to the same list? Perhaps it would be possible to set it up with a check-in/check-out function, and limit the number of votes to say 10 per day and person. That would be really cool, wouldn't it?
All these years later I haven't forgotten this suggestion... perhaps allourideas.org could be used to make a rudimentary version of this?
Yeah, this would be cool! I've been thinking of doing some academic research into ranking algorithms, and obviously having a snappy platform for people to use would be good. I've been meaning to learn how to put together an app with shiny for some time and this would be a good one to use for that purpose. That said, I'm still not sure how to have multiple users accessing the same list. Clearly it's possible given the existence of sites like ranker and so forth.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

A random question out of nowhere:

Every so often after I type in a 1 or a 2, I get this:

Error in as.Date.numeric(e) : 'origin' must be supplied

Anyone have any idea what that's about?
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:34 am
Oh, funny story... turns out I already did this exact thing five years ago and completely forgot about it. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4796

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”