85 | Kraftwerk | Radioaktivität/Radioactivity
86 | Patti Smith | Because The Night
87 | Stevie Wonder | Higher Ground
88 | The Rolling Stones | Brown Sugar
89 | Pink Floyd | Time
90 | Steely Dan | Reelin' in the Years
91 | Kraftwerk | Das Modell/The Model
92 | The Police | Roxanne
93 | Neil Young and Crazy Horse | Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)
94 | Kraftwerk | Autobahn
95 | Stevie Wonder | As
96 | The Clash | (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais
97 | Iggy Pop | Lust For Life
98 | The Art Ensemble of Chicago | Theme de Yoyo
99 | Bruce Springsteen | Badlands
100 | Sparks | This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us
101 | The Police | Message In A Bottle
102 | Dolly Parton | Jolene
103 | Tom Waits | Tom Traubert's Blues (Four Sheets to the Wind in Copenhagen)
104 | The Wailers | Get Up, Stand Up
105 | Joy Division | Transmission
106 | The Clash | The Guns of Brixton
107 | Roberta Flack | Killing Me Softly with His Song
108 | Edwin Starr | War
109 | Billy Joel | Piano Man
110 | Steely Dan | Rikki Don't Lose That Number
111 | David Bowie | Rebel Rebel
112 | Deep Purple | Highway Star
113 | Pink Floyd | Money
114 | Elton John | Rocket Man
115 | Bob Dylan | Knockin' on Heaven's Door
116 | David Bowie | Station To Station
117 | The Modern Lovers | Roadrunner
118 | Aerosmith | Dream On
119 | Joe Jackson | Is She Really Going Out With Him?
120 | Blondie | Atomic
121 | Sex Pistols | Holidays In The Sun
122 | Chico Buarque | Construção
123 | The Clash | Train in Vain (Stand by Me)
124 | Gang of Four | Damaged Goods
125 | Supertramp | The Logical Song
126 | Bruce Springsteen | Adam Raised a Cain
127 | King Crimson | Starless
128 | Stevie Wonder | I Wish
129 | Aerosmith | Walk This Way
130 | Fleetwood Mac | The Chain
131 | XTC | Making Plans for Nigel
132 | The Clash | Rudie Can’t Fail
133 | Queen | Don't Stop Me Now
134 | David Bowie | Aladdin Sane (1913-1938-197?)
135 | Junior Murvin | Police And Thieves
136 | Pink Floyd | Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2
137 | Bee Gees | How Deep Is Your Love
138 | Bruce Springsteen | Candy's Room
139 | Sister Sledge | Lost in Music
140 | Steely Dan | Kid Charlemagne
141 | Al Stewart | Year Of The Cat
142 | James Taylor | Fire and Rain
143 | Bob Marley and the Wailers | One Love/People Get Ready
144 | ABBA | Waterloo
145 | Queen | Killer Queen
146 | Iggy & The Stooges | Gimme Danger
147 | Genesis | The Carpet Crawlers
148 | Patti Smith | Land: Horses/Land of a Thousand Dances/La Mer (de)
149 | Brian Eno | Third Uncle
150 | Stevie Wonder | You Haven't Done Nothin'
151 | Bachman-Turner Overdrive | You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
Hello one and all to the results of the best songs of the 1970s! Over the course of the year we have selected 151 songs from the decade and now we have the results for the final ranking.

Before I begin, here are our 30 voters:

Antonius
BleuPanda
Bonnielaurel
Brad
Charlie Driggs
Dan
DaveC
DocBrown
Fred
Greg
Harold
Henrik
Henry
Honorio
JamieW
Kingoftonga
Listyguy
Liveinphoenix
Mindrocker
Miguel
Nassim
Nicolas
Otisredding
Plasticram
Rob (special thank you for your wonderful comments!)
Rockyraccoon
Romain
Sonofsamiam
Stone37
Timmywing

P.S. You're a fan of a song if you put it in your top 15 (or are otherwise the person who ranked it highest) and a hater of a song if you put it in the bottom 15 of your list (or are otherwise the person who ranked it lowest).

Also, I'll start the countdown from 100, and backfill 150-100 once we get to 50 for some added suspense!

And now I suppose there's nothing left to do but to begin...
Last edited by Zorg on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Re: [Results] The Best Songs of the 1970s

Post by Zorg »

[imgsize 289x343]http://i.imgur.com/wQ1jSFy.jpg[/imgsize]
[100] Stevie Wonder | As | 1026 pts
AM rank: 4593
AM 1970s rank: 817
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank: 562
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank: N/A
Position in 1976 poll: 10

Fans: Henry (8)
Haters: Brad (133)

Nassim: Of all the feel good songs of the master of feel good songs, this might be the one most packed with love and warmth... Maybe that's what the world needs right now.

Rob: Not the longest track on Songs in the Key of Life, but the one that feels the most epic. Wonder searches for the farthest-reaching comparisons for love he can come up with. Usually, his love ballads are my least favourite of his songs, because they bring out the most sentimental side of him, but not here. In fact this is my favourite of his. As funky and groovy as anything he has done, it is also probably the best show-case for his enormous vocal talents.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

[99] Tom Waits | Tom Traubert's Blues (Four Sheets to the Wind in Copenhagen | 1031 pts
AM rank: N/A
AM 1970s rank: N/A
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank: 452
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank: N/A
Position in 1976 poll: 6

Fans: DocBrown (2)
Haters: Harold (146), Henry (144), Kingoftonga (137), LiveinPhoenix (140)

Allmusic: “Tom Traubert’s Blues” is one of Tom Waits’ most popular songs, although this is due in the most part by Rod Stewart’s vastly inferiors cover version. Waits’ original is heartbreakingly beautiful, containing some of the artist’s finest lyrics, especially in the croaking opening “Wasted and wounded/’Taint what the moon did/Got what I paid for now”. The story, essentially a drunken tale, fits the gorgeous, elegiac melody perfectly, and indeed the song is so evocative it’s almost impossible for the listener not to be swept up in the story. Although the arrangement and the use of strings doesn’t take any real risks, it embellishes the melody beautifully. Without doubt, one of Tom Waits’ finest recordings.

Rob: No matter how much he may have changed his musical style through the years, Tom Traubert’s Blues will probably always be the song I will first think of when I hear Tom Waits’ name. It’s probably the drunkard’s lament to end all drunkard’s laments and no matter how many artists cover it, it really benefits greatly from Tom Waits’ gruff voice, which sounds like someone who indeed had too much to drink (and to smoke). It’s also nice that Waits seems to have complete sympathy for his main character, without omitting his flaws.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

[imgsize 343x343]http://i.imgur.com/LQ63nCQ.jpg[/imgsize]
[98] Iggy Pop | Lust For Life | 1031.3 pts
AM rank:265
AM 1970s rank: 54
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank: 217
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 56
Position in 1977 poll : 13

Fans: Fred (7), TimmyWing (8)
Haters: Henry (137), Henrik (137)

Rob : Lives up to its title. Does it ever!

Allmusic: The one song most identified with former Stooge Iggy Pop's solo career, "Lust for Life" is also quite possibly the most upbeat, exuberant tune he ever cut. There's a heavy influence from co-writer David Bowie in the hip-shaking, glammed-up swing of the drumbeat, which dominates the song from start to finish and is doubled at one time or another by all the instruments. Really, it's the only hook the song needs; it's immediately memorable without being all that melodic. Pop bleats his hard lyrics with the ferocity of a survivor who's visited the absolute depths of life without having been consumed, and that's really what the song is about: making your way through everything life can throw at you, screwing up along the way but emerging stronger for it. Pop's persona gives the song a rougher edge than it would have otherwise, a harder-rocking grit that marks it as the product of an equal collaboration, not just Bowie's imagination. While the music definitely feels glammed up and a little bit campy -- not just the swinging rock & roll beat, but touches like the male falsetto voices echoing Pop on the chorus -- it's due to Pop's performance and lyrical contributions that the song never loses its strutting machismo. "Lust for Life" was originally released on the 1977 album of the same title, but remained a somewhat overlooked classic until it was used as the opening-credit theme for the 1996 film Trainspotting, after which it became a staple at college parties and radio stations.
Last edited by Zorg on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Great start, Zorg! :D
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

[imgsize 346x343]http://www.lololyrics.com/img/cover/9425.jpeg[/imgsize]
[97] Kraftwerk | Das Modell/The Model | 1035.8 pts
AM rank:256
AM 1970s rank: 52
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank: 205
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 60
Position in 1978 poll : 3

Fans: Honorio (5), Dan (6)
Haters: RockyRaccoon (144), Kingoftonga (145)

Alex D (from last time's poll!) : Germany has produced exactly one great band - and you're looking (or listening) right at/to them. They also be the greatest electronic "band" ever, with this as their best riff.

Honorio: Cold pop. The Teutonic men-machine created here the most similar to a pop song of their whole catalog, slightly minimizing their usual robotic tone (one can even detect an unheard ironic tone on Schneider's voice), using synthesizer sounds simultaneously futuristic and classic (almost classical) and creating a melody built to last.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

[imgsize 497x343]http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/1 ... Police.jpg[/imgsize]
[96] The Police | Message In A Bottle | 1038.4 pts
AM rank: 779
AM 1970s rank: 161
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank: 665
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 79
Position in 1979 poll : 3

Fans: Mindrocker (13)
Haters: DocBrown (99/100)

Allmusic: One of the most recognizable and popular songs in the Police’s canon (not to mention in its place in the history of pop music -- it’s a classic in just about everyone’s list), “Message In a Bottle” isn’t the first example of their brand of new wave white reggae, but it certainly is one of the first examples of their style that had finally left behind any hopes of ‘punk’ credibility. While earlier tracks had the same energy and pace, “Message In A Bottle” carried itself with a bit more maturity, both lyrically and musically. Andy Summer’s ability as a more progressive guitarist are shown in spades, while Stewart Copeland’s drumming redefines what a rock drummer can do. Sting, with his trademark falsetto put aside for a more straightforward vocal style, shines brightly both with his voice and his lyrics, which are longing and hopeful, but not maudlin. “Message In a Bottle,” alongside tracks like “Roxanne” and “Don’t Stand So Close To Me,” represent the finest moments of the first part of the Police’s career.

[imgsize 343x343]http://tiendastonepony.com/1473-3138-th ... s-1978.jpg[/imgsize]
[95] Patti Smith | Because The Night | 1051.4 pts
AM rank: 432
AM 1970s rank: 87
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank: N/A
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : N/A
Position in 1978 poll : 10

Fans: Otisredding (14)
Haters: Greg (141), Nicolas (115/125)

Rob : One of Bruce Springsteen’s strengths is that he seems to stand firmly within society, while Patti Smith frequently sings with pride that she doesn’t even want to be there. Yet these two somehow found common ground with Because the Night, even if Smith felt she had to emphasize the sex angle of the lyrics more. It is conventional for Smith, but that is no criticism, because this is one of the great, sexy rock songs of the decade and Smith’s vocals work as great here as in her mad poems.

[imgsize 488x343]http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/4 ... Police.jpg[/imgsize]
[94] The Police | Roxanne | 1051.9 pts
AM rank: 408
AM 1970s rank: 78
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank: 535
Position in 1978 poll : 5

Fans: Honorio (15)
Haters: Plasticram (126)

Honorio : The Red Light District in Amsterdam inspired Sting to write the song, showcasing their inspired white reggae sound.

Rob : The Police are one of those bands I’ve listened a lot to (mostly through radio play, though), but never developed much of an opinion about. They’re fine I guess, but now I’m going to kill any last shred of respectability I might or might not have and say I prefer Stings more folky solo career. Not that there is anything wrong with this bands work. I mean, it’s easy to hear the appeal, especially in something like Roxanne, which has inspired shout-singing by Sting and a jazz-reggae-rock mix of a sound that is quite original. I like it, but as pretty much always with The Police I’m just not really moved or captivated.

And that's goodbye for the Police...
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

[imgsize 348x343]http://images.45cat.com/the-clash-white ... 1978-2.jpg[/imgsize]
[93] The Clash | (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais | 1053.8 pts
AM rank: 144
AM 1970s rank: 30
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank: 127
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 82
Position in 1978 poll : 8

Fans: Brad (8)
Haters: Bonnielaurel (139), Dan (137), Liveinphoenix (149), Mindrocker (148), Miguel (148)

Rob: A concert review that becomes more a stream-of-consciousness like rant, this is probably the Clash-song with the most memorable lines (the one about Hitler especially sticks in the mind). I love the mix between humour and anger that are present pretty much at the same time through the whole song. Having said that, the anger becomes more prevalent in the singing as things proceeds. The production is rough, but a reggae beat pulses things forward and makes it a musical highlight by The Clash too.

Allmusic : Certainly before there was the British wave of ska in the late '70s/early '80s, the Clash had already experimented with the thick bass line and choppy guitar configuration that define punky reggae. "(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais" may have actually been the first song to merge punk and reggae. The guitar comes in stinging, but soon it moves over to place Joe Strummer's vocal front and center (maybe that wasn't intentional, as the Clash sessions from which this song and others from the early period came were famous for being poorly recorded) alongside Paul Simonon's loping bass. The lyric was inspired by Strummer's visit to a reggae "All Niter" at the famous London venue Hammersmith Palais. He was disappointed with a Dilinger and Leroy Smart performance, so he took the opportunity to review it in a song. He also took the opportunity to dis his fellows in punk rock ("turning rebellion into money"), and of course his government and its people. But he never missed an opportunity to poke fun at himself, the white man in the Palais. Self-deprecation is a Clash song quality which was often overlooked, but ultimately won them many fans; misinterpreters thought the band took themselves "too seriously."

Zorg : Though I didn't vote, this would have probably hit my top 5. Amazed at the number of people who put the song near the bottom of their list!
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

[imgsize 229x343]http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/3 ... 8532_l.jpg[/imgsize]
[92] Neil Young and Crazy Horse | Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) | 1056.3 pts
AM rank: 744
AM 1970s rank: 156
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank: 440
Position in 1979 poll : 11

Fans: Kingoftonga (4)
Haters: Rockyraccoon (122)

Rob: Into the black indeed. When playing with Crazy Horse Neil Young always sounds at his most rough and tumultuous, but even in light of their career this sounds messy and harsh. I mean that as a compliment, because the anxieties Young felt about getting older and fearing rock would get out of style are really made not just palatable, but visceral. The lyrics do a great job of evoking this, but really, it would probably have been just as powerful as simply a guitar only track.

[imgsize 343x343]http://333sound.files.wordpress.com/201 ... urfsup.jpg[/imgsize]
[91] The Beach Boys | Surf's Up | 1063.8 pts
AM rank: 785
AM 1970s rank: 162
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank: 263
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 33
Position in 1971 poll : 12

Fans: Sonofsamiam (1), Fred (5)
Haters: Antonius (151), Nicolas (119/125), Otisredding (143)

Treblezine : When Brian Wilson reached the conclusion in 1966 that Smile‘s ship would never leave the dock, its cargo was redistributed to a number of subsequent Beach Boys vessels, and its complex centerpiece “Surf’s Up” took a good five years to finally land a proper release of its own. Sequenced as a series of disparate movements that differ in rhythm, tempo and arrangement, “Surf’s Up” is not so much a pop song as it is a psychedelic chamber piece, beautifully performed and disorientingly composed. For something so elaborate, however, it came together surprisingly quickly, Wilson and Van Dyke Parks having penned it in a single night and deciding to slap on an ironic title, given the distance the Beach Boys had traveled from their early surf-pop material. There are those who say that Brian Wilson’s solo piano version is the superior rendition of the song, but they’re overlooking something pretty big. Taking out all of the strange, engrossing embellishments not only removes half the story, but also deprives the listener of a truly overwhelming sonic experience.

Rob: The ever insecure Brian Wilson felt somewhere in the sixties that The Beach Boys needed to be more artistic (yes I know that’s a strange thing to say about one of the greatest bands of the decade) and he asked the help of Van Dyke Parks to write better lyrics (I’ll give him that I don’t listen to The Beach Boys for the writing). What we got was, among other things, Surf’s Up. These are some of the most horribly pretentious lyrics I’ve ever heard, also totally unsuitable for The Beach Boys. But you know what? It doesn’t matter. Brian Wilson was at the top of his game and wrote music around it that is among the top of pop music. Of course, the singing is the best part, as is usual with the Beach Boys. The way the voices are arranged is almost transcendent. “A children’s hymn to God” is not a concept that speaks to me personally, but leave it to Wilson to make it work.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Right, that's 10 for you. I'm going to take a break and catch the second half of Arsenal vs Manchester City :)

Interesting tidbit: Surf's Up is NOT the lowest ranked song with a #1 vote. There is in fact one more song that received a #1 vote, but didn't make the top 100.
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Thank you, Zorg, for broadcasting the first results. Really looking forward to the rest of your show!

I managed to hand in 4 out of 10 lists for the seventies, but it's sad that I could not participate in this final round.
Throughout the year I am too busy to be able to continuously combine it with listening to a lot of music. I am already happy to keep up with the AMF chart and once in a while support Henrik with some missing Spotify links...

Well, for the 10 songs listed so far, I did not expect to see The Model and Surf's Up so soon. Hopefully both artists will show up again on a higher spot ...!?
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Tom Traubert's Blues (my #36) : it's a shame Tom Waits isn't more often this straightforward because that's a very beautiful song, second best discovery of the final poll

Kraftwerk - The Model (my #127) : I really like the streak of Krafwerk's albums from Radioactivy to Computer World and beside Intermission/Antennas/News in Radioactivity, The Model is probably the song I like the least in it, so it's a bit of a surprise to see it as one of the most acclaimed ones.

Hey, Hey, My, My (Into the Black) (my #101) : quick poll, am I the only one who likes the (Out of the Blue) version much more ?

Surf's Up (my #49) : I can get behind the allmusic opinion, the Beach Boys version is the superior one. First it is better sung (which for a Brian Wilson song is critical) but all the strange arrangements and additions truly make it something unique

I hope Land and Highway Star didn't finish just out of the top 100 because I feel I have been a big unfair with them in my rankings.
Andre wrote:Well, for the 10 songs listed so far, I did not expect to see The Model and Surf's Up so soon. Hopefully both artists will show up again on a higher spot ...!?
I don't want to spoil anything, but for one of those 2 bands that for sure won't happen.
Last edited by Nassim on Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks for a great show Zorg!

BUT I suspect something is wrong with my rankings. I had "Lust for Life" as my #136 and not #137, and I should be among the haters for "(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais" (my #150 nonetheless) and "Hey Hey My My" (my #137, I'm a "My My Hey Hey" guy (Hey Nassim :greetings-waveyellow: )).
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Zorg wrote:P.S. You're a fan of a song if you put it in your top 10 (or are otherwise the person who ranked it highest) and a hater of a song if you put it in the bottom 10% of your list (or are otherwise the person who ranked it lowest).
Zorg, you're doing an awesome job, so I hate to be commenting on your presentation, but what you said means that the top 10 and the bottom 15 songs will be shown, and I wish the fan section was the bigger one (or at least as big), as I have so much more love than hate for these songs.
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

Probably doesn't change the points, because it was probably just a mix up of the spreadsheet rows, but "Hey Hey My My (Into the Black)" was actually my No. 74 song, not 122. "Like a Hurricane" was my No. 122.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Henrik wrote:Thanks for a great show Zorg!

BUT I suspect something is wrong with my rankings. I had "Lust for Life" as my #136 and not #137, and I should be among the haters for "(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais" (my #150 nonetheless) and "Hey Hey My My" (my #137, I'm a "My My Hey Hey" guy (Hey Nassim :greetings-waveyellow: )).
You are correct, I screwed up your ballot. I've done a quick check, and I think everyone else's ballots should be ok. I'll post the new 100-91 shortly!
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Rocky Raccoon wrote:Probably doesn't change the points, because it was probably just a mix up of the spreadsheet rows, but "Hey Hey My My (Into the Black)" was actually my No. 74 song, not 122. "Like a Hurricane" was my No. 122.
I checked this, and I think the order of the ID column went funny, so your votes haven't lined up with the correct song (e.g. Waterloo and Dancing Queen have swapped around). I'm going to take an hour or two just to check that I haven't messed things up any more.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

No worries, Zorg. This happens to every poll host. :)

Take the time you need.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Henrik wrote:No worries, Zorg. This happens to every poll host. :)
Indeed it does, but it's still our worst nightmare :angry-banghead:
By the way, "Das Model" was my #145
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Listyguy wrote:
By the way, "Das Model" was my #145
That one I did have right! I must have just forgotten to list you as a hater.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Listyguy wrote:
Yes, last time I suggested that two people checked the votes before posting the results. Since JimmyJazz and DaveC co-hosted the yearly polls probably they could help Zorg with the vote-compiling.

Anyway fantastic presentation, Zorg!
Last edited by Honorio on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Take the time you need.
Been nearby. Done something similar. Shoplifted the t-shirt.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Rocky Raccoon wrote:Probably doesn't change the points, because it was probably just a mix up of the spreadsheet rows, but "Hey Hey My My (Into the Black)" was actually my No. 74 song, not 122. "Like a Hurricane" was my No. 122.
The non-alphabetical list we had to rank led me to post a completely false list in the beginning before I noticing my mistake.
I do not know how forumers doing here but when I make this kind of list for AM, I take each line one by one and I place after the score. Then, in the end, I rank by alphabetical order. I thought the list was classified alphabetically, but it is only the case for the artists and not for the songs or albums. In the end, I did not have the same ranking as desired by Zorg

I hope nobody make the same mistake without notice that. :?
Last edited by Romain on Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Updated 100-91

[100] Sparks | This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us | 1036.1 pts
AM rank : 535
AM 1970s rank : 109
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : N/A
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 81
Position in 1974 poll: 8

Fans: CharlieDriggs (7), JamieW (14), Sonofsamiam (11)
Haters: Greg (150), Stone37 (141), Rockyraccoon (145), Listyguy (150), Honorio (151)

Rob: For the love of God, no matter how close I listen I can’t imagine this song other than being sung by a woman. But apparently it was a man and that gives you a clear idea of how wacky this is. You can easily put it aside as a novelty hit, but I find the silliness very inspired. It has a glamorous and majestic sweep all of its own.

[99] Bruce Springsteen | Badlands | 1039.8 pts
AM rank : 2565
AM 1970s rank : 496
Position in 1978 poll: 11

Fans: Nicolas (15), TimmyWing (7), Greg (10)
Haters: BleuPanda (150), CharlieDriggs (139), DaveC (148), Mindrocker (146)

Over to you, Rob: Darkness On the Edge of Town is known as a more bleaker Bruce Springsteen album than any preceding it. Opening song Badlands swiftly introduces this in its opening lyrics, which are full of violence. Yet Badlands at the same time is not a song that leaves you depressed. It’s about hoping for a better future and saying you’re willing to work for it. Springsteen focusses on the optimism, without denying the odds he and everyone in the Badlands have to go up to. What really makes it work is one of those Springsteen melodies and choruses that is made to be sung along to. It creates a sense of camaraderie in hard times that is a trademark of The Boss.

[98] The Art Ensemble of Chicago | Theme de Yoyo | 1041.2 pts
AM rank : N/A
AM 1970s rank : N/A
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 240
Position in 1970 poll: 3

Fans: CharlieDriggs (3), Mindrocker (10), Sonofsamiam (3)
Haters: Harold (151), Greg (147)

Rob: Easily the most unexpected entry in this list, at least to me. There are artists whose work I’d never heard before starting this game, but at least I knew their names. Art Ensemble of Chicago however didn’t ring a bell. Perhaps that because I’m a rookie in jazz, because they seem to have some standing there. This is also the only real jazz track in our list, even if some other songs use clear influences of the genre. It is very funky and groovy, with a big sound, not least because of the powerful vocals of Fontella Bass, who doesn’t hold back while shouting the rather ridiculous lyrics. It has a lot of force, that’s for sure.

[97] Iggy Pop | Lust For Life | 1042.5 pts
AM rank : 265
AM 1970s rank : 54
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 217
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 56
Position in 1977 poll: 13

[96] The Clash | (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais | 1043.8 pts
AM rank : 144
AM 1970s rank : 30
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 127
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 82
Position in 1978 poll: 8

[95] Stevie Wonder | As | 1050.8 pts
AM rank : 4593
AM 1970s rank : 817
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 562
Position in 1976 poll: 10

[94] Kraftwerk | Autobahn | 1056.5 pts
AM rank : 176
AM 1970s rank : 35
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 486
Position in 1974 poll: 12

Fans: Otisredding (5), PlasticRam (8), Romain (15)
Haters: Listyguy (148), Stone37 (142)

Rob: There are many famous songs about driving, but most of them are rock songs with some force and perhaps a predilection for living on the road. Whatever the case, spacy sounding, slow electronic tracks are not the first thing that come to my mind, but leave it to Kraftwerk to prove me wrong. They don’t evoke the fast movement of travelling so much as the endlessness of the highway. There is a bright sound here, warm and gentle, as well as repetitive. To me, it shouts out to be played when driving on, yes, an endless seeming highway during the summer, without a hurry. One of the best relaxing songs of this list.

[93] Neil Young and Crazy Horse | Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) | 1058.2 pts
AM rank : 744
AM 1970s rank : 156
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 440
Position in 1979 poll: 11

[92] The Police | Roxanne | 1061.2 pts
AM rank : 408
AM 1970s rank : 78
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 535
Position in 1978 poll: 5

[91] Kraftwerk | Das Modell/The Model | 1063.3 pts
AM rank : 256
AM 1970s rank : 52
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 205
Position in 1978 poll: 3
Last edited by Zorg on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

We will continue with the list tomorrow morning! The hiccups today were just to get my post count up of course.
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

Zorg,

I did not have "Lust for Life" at #8. I had it at #61.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Aha. I had that right, but I accidentally wrote down your name instead of TimmyWing's here on the forum, so no troubles there. I haven't thought of a good way to automate the Fans/Haters section in excel. Any tips anyone? But anyway, let's move on to..

[90] Steely Dan | Reelin' in the Years | 1064.2 pts
AM 1970s rank : 184
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 761
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 94
Position in 1972 poll: 10

Fans: Henry (5), Miguel (9)
Haters: Otisredding (144)

Rob: One of the first hits of Steely Dan is a pure rocker of the kind they would make progressively less and less over the years. What did remain though is the lyrics, as this already contains a scathing portrait of the flaws of a person, a theme they came back to time and again. It’s quite a rough character sketch still. Later ones would be more fleshed out and filled with details (see also Kid Charlemagne in this list). No matter, this sounds like it means to be good fun and it delivers on that front. I guess anyyone who has ever for a longer time suffered the company of someone with delusion of grandeur would like to sing along with Reelin’ in the Years.

Allmusic: Marrying a bouncy, piano-led shuffle beat to one of the most distinctive sets of guitar solos in '70s rock (by Elliott Randall, a New York-based session guitarist with whom Walter Becker and Donald Fagen had previously worked with in the backing band for Jay & the Americans, and who according to legend laid down his entire part in a single take), "Reelin' in the Years" was the second single from Can't Buy a Thrill. Although it wasn't quite as big a hit as "Do It Again," just missing the Billboard Top Ten, its success gave Fagen further confidence as a lead singer, leading the band to dismiss original singer David Palmer before recording their next album. Much like "Do It Again," "Reelin' in the Years" reveals Fagen and Becker as dryly sarcastic lyricists whose songs tend to have a sharper edge than those of most of their contemporaries. Featuring the withering putdown "You've been telling me you were a genius since you were 17/In all the time I've known you, I still don't know what you mean," the lyrics are a "Positively Fourth Street"-style kiss-off to a former friend and/or lover, sung with a bitter sort of glee that combines with the catchiness of the tune to mask its underlying anger just enough to make it that much more cutting when the listener finally notices.

[imgsize 343x343]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... label).png[/imgsize]
[89] Pink Floyd | Time | 1065.9 pts
AM rank : 2711
AM 1970s rank : 521
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 170
Position in 1973 poll: 13

Fans: JamieW(12), DaveC (1)
Haters: Nassim (142)

Rob: On an already dark album, Time is probably the darkest song lyrically and on a musical level only trumped by the psychotic primal scream called The Great Gig in the Sky. As such, Time always felt as the centrepiece of the album. The angst reaches its high point and though it musically quotes the earlier song Breathe it only accentuates how little room to breathe there is left. No wonder then, that The Great Gig in the Sky is next.

[imgsize 343x343]http://images.publicradio.org/content/2 ... gar_91.JPG[/imgsize]
[88] The Rolling Stones | Brown Sugar | 1067 pts
AM rank : 196
AM 1970s rank : 42
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 261
Position in 1971 poll: 14

Fans: LiveinPhoenix (19)
Haters: JamieW (148)

Rob : Many sixties heroes didn’t make a big impression across the complete seventies anymore, but The Rolling Stones were still capable of delivering strong work from time to time. A lot of their classic songs come from this decade, but which one to choose? AM collectively selected only one. What does it mean that it’s the one about getting it on with one of your black slave women, who likes to be whipped? I’m usually disgusted by hints of racism and misogyny and I feel a complete hypocrite for actually really loving Brown Sugar. Is it an excuse that Mick Jagger slurs the lyrics and makes them virtually intelligible? I usually forget what it’s about while listening. Also it rocks like the best of them, there is no other way of putting it.

Zorg : Did anyone else have the ""Gold coast slave ship"? What are you on about? Ohhhh. Brown Sugar. Ohhhhhhhhh." moment?

[imgsize 343x343]http://images.45cat.com/stevie-wonder-h ... -tamla.jpg[/imgsize]
[87] Stevie Wonder | Higher Ground | 1069.6 pts
AM rank : 572
AM 1970s rank : 122
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 596
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 52
Position in 1973 poll: 4

Fans: Mindrocker (11)
Haters: Brad (146)

Rob: This stomping funk song captures Wonder’s strengths around this time period of his career. It’s incredibly catchy, fun to sing along to, but also clearly comes from a deeper place and addresses some serious issues in an accessible way. Like much of his best work, it’s hard to resist.

[imgsize 343x343]http://tiendastonepony.com/1473-3138-th ... s-1978.jpg[/imgsize]
[86] Patti Smith | Because The Night | 1069.9 pts
AM rank : 432
AM 1970s rank : 87
Position in 1978 poll: 10

Fans: Otisredding (14)
Haters: Greg (141)

Honorio: Smith and Springsteen teamed up to pay homage to the night, a time for love, for lust, for lovers, a time for us.

Rob : One of Bruce Springsteen’s strengths is that he seems to stand firmly within society, while Patti Smith frequently sings with pride that she doesn’t even want to be there. Yet these two somehow found common ground with Because the Night, even if Smith felt she had to emphasize the sex angle of the lyrics more. It is conventional for Smith, but that is no criticism, because this is one of the great, sexy rock songs of the decade and Smith’s vocals work as great here as in her mad poems.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Zorg wrote:Aha. I had that right, but I accidentally wrote down your name instead of TimmyWing's here on the forum, so no troubles there. I haven't thought of a good way to automate the Fans/Haters section in excel. Any tips anyone?
Here's a suggestion. It will use a lot of extra columns, but that shouldn't be a problem I suppose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Zorg wrote: [94] Kraftwerk | Autobahn | 1056.5 pts
AM rank : 176
AM 1970s rank : 35
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 486
Position in 1974 poll: 12

Fans: Otisredding (5), PlasticRam (8), Romain (15)
Haters: Listyguy (148), Stone37 (142)

Rob: A somewhat mystifying mood piece and I mean that in a good way. The title makes you expect a song about space travel, but the lyrics (of which there aren’t many) don’t really confirm this. Nonetheless there is a definite sense of gliding through an endless galaxy in its best parts, which include the first bit (with the lyrics) and the long ending sequences when the saxophone seems to get a free pass to go berserk. It sags a bit in the middle to me, but the bookends are really, really beautiful.
This is not my review for Autobahn, I'm afraid. It's for the one right above it on the spreadsheet, so I guess it's a simple copy/ paste mistake.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Fixed! Sorry about that...I had a quick glance and saw "long ending sequences" and thought that that fitted Autobahn very well! Talking about Kraftwerk...

[85] Kraftwerk | Radioaktivität/Radioactivity | 1070.6 pts
AM rank : 2174
AM 1970s rank : 416
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 675
Position in 1975 poll: 15
Fans : Henrik (5) Romain (13) Nassim (12)
Haters : Rockyracoon (143) Listyguy (140) Henry (150) Harold (149) Bonnielaurel (136)

Rob : Let nobody tell you that electronic music is soulless, because already when pioneers of the genre, like Kraftwerk, started working with it there was proof otherwise. There is a warmth in some of their music that is almost ironic considering they liken themselves to robots. What’s more, there is real beauty too, never more so than in Radioactivity, which is my favourite track of theirs. Also, I think Vangelis must have heard this before he scored Chariots of Fire, because that theme really resembles the beginning of this song.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

[imgsize 343x343]http://333sound.files.wordpress.com/201 ... urfsup.jpg[/imgsize]
[84] The Beach Boys | Surf's Up | 1072.7 pts
AM rank : 785
AM 1970s rank : 162
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 263
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 33
Position in 1971 poll: 12
Fans : Sonofsamiam (1) Fred (5)
Haters : Otisredding (143) Nicolas (119/125) Antonius (151)

Treblezine : When Brian Wilson reached the conclusion in 1966 that Smile‘s ship would never leave the dock, its cargo was redistributed to a number of subsequent Beach Boys vessels, and its complex centerpiece “Surf’s Up” took a good five years to finally land a proper release of its own. Sequenced as a series of disparate movements that differ in rhythm, tempo and arrangement, “Surf’s Up” is not so much a pop song as it is a psychedelic chamber piece, beautifully performed and disorientingly composed. For something so elaborate, however, it came together surprisingly quickly, Wilson and Van Dyke Parks having penned it in a single night and deciding to slap on an ironic title, given the distance the Beach Boys had traveled from their early surf-pop material. There are those who say that Brian Wilson’s solo piano version is the superior rendition of the song, but they’re overlooking something pretty big. Taking out all of the strange, engrossing embellishments not only removes half the story, but also deprives the listener of a truly overwhelming sonic experience.

Rob: The ever insecure Brian Wilson felt somewhere in the sixties that The Beach Boys needed to be more artistic (yes I know that’s a strange thing to say about one of the greatest bands of the decade) and he asked the help of Van Dyke Parks to write better lyrics (I’ll give him that I don’t listen to The Beach Boys for the writing). What we got was, among other things, Surf’s Up. These are some of the most horribly pretentious lyrics I’ve ever heard, also totally unsuitable for The Beach Boys. But you know what? It doesn’t matter. Brian Wilson was at the top of his game and wrote music around it that is among the top of pop music. Of course, the singing is the best part, as is usual with the Beach Boys. The way the voices are arranged is almost transcendent. “A children’s hymn to God” is not a concept that speaks to me personally, but leave it to Wilson to make it work.

[83] Deep Purple | Child in Time | 1073 pts
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 784
Position in 1970 poll: 5
Fans : Rob (12)
Haters : Rockyracoon (151) Otisredding (146) Listyguy (149) Dan (148)

Rob : Child in Time is linked to my earliest musical memories. Once as a kid I was upset, I don’t remember what about, but around that time this song came on the radio. It scared the hell out of me and made everything much, much worse. It took some time before I could listen to it again normally, but the deep voice singing followed by the screaming part, the synthesizers of doom and the feverish guitar solos still manage to have an eerie impact. The sound of the apocalypse.

[imgsize 343x343]http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/920 ... +Fela1.jpg[/imgsize]
[82] Fela Kuti | Zombie | 1076.2 pts
AM rank : 887
AM 1970s rank : 180
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 165
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 72
Position in 1976 poll: 9

Fans : Sonofsamiam (5) BleuPanda (15)
Haters : Fred (37/43) Bonnielaurel (144)

Rob : A mocking, political song. Guess what the zombie is a metaphor of. Anyway, it works as a social piece, but honestly this is mostly a great song because of its irresistible rhythm, the type of which Africa seems to have a patent on. The drum and horn section, along with the keyboards almost steal this song away from Fela himself, but he is in a fiery mood too.

Treble : Jimi Hendrix. Miles Davis. James Brown. Parliament/Funkadelic. On a level of both influence and artistic importance, if not necessarily in terms of American commercial success, these were Fela Kuti’s peers. And if you haven’t heard (or at least heard about) Afrobeat pioneer Fela Kuti, here’s a quick primer: Both a brilliant multi-instrumentalist and composer, as well as an inspirational activist and political martyr, Fela accomplished musical and social ground unprecedented by many musicians and activists before him. After traveling to London and developing a fusion between highlife and jazz, Fela brought his unique sound back home to Nigeria, and used tracks like “Zombie” as a vessel for bringing about social and political change. One of Fela’s signature tracks, “Zombie” subtly infues African music, jazz and funk, without sounding like any standard form of pop music whatsoever. The track grooves and entrances the audience for more than five minutes, at which point Fela enters the frame and breaks it down with subtle yet impactful barbs pointed at the Nigerian military, like “Zombie don’t stop unless you tell him to stop” and “Zombie no go think unless you tell him to go think.” Fela was a pioneer, a hero and a master.

[81] Bob Dylan | Idiot Wind | 1079.8 pts
AM rank : 1964
AM 1970s rank : 391
Position in 1975 poll: 8

Fans : PlasticRam (9) Rob (10) LiveinPhoenix (2) DocBrown (3)
Haters : Nassim (138) Mindrocker (147) Kingoftonga (150) Fred (33/43)

Rob : Are you one of those people who like Dylan the most when he is angry? Then this is the song for you. Mad break-up songs are dime a dozen, but pretty much any I know is blown out the water by Dylan’s fury, his nasty lyrical imagery and the messy organ playing in the background. It feels like years of bottled-up emotions finally bursting. Interestingly, the song at first seems to be about another story; about how the main character has allegedly shot someone, but Dylan simply seems to forget this starting point soon enough and starts badmouthing his soon to be ex-wife in particularly nasty ways that would be unreasonable if Dylan didn’t criticize himself at the end too and if he didn’t place the song firmly in an album that draws a more complex picture of this relationship. I can completely understand if this song is a little bit much for some people, but for me, it took probably 50 listens before I could listen to it without feeling extremely shaken by an idiot wind (storm?) afterward.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

The Berlin duo take up the next two spots.

[80] David Bowie | Suffragette City | 1080.4 pts
AM rank : 1543
AM 1970s rank : 295
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 470
Position in 1972 poll: 9

Fans : Miguel (15) Listyguy (14) DocBrown (7)
Haters : Henrik (139)

Allmusic : David Bowie's love for Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground had already been well established by the time the Ziggy Stardust album came out in 1972 -- the previous year, on Hunky Dory, "Queen Bitch" was openly listed as a homage. "Suffragette City" revisited similar inspirational ground, arguably to even finer results. The traded-off "hey man!" backing vocals clearly clone the Velvets' "White Light White Heat," and Bowie himself doesn't bother to hide his own aggressively camp sass, derived in part from Reed's lead on the same track. The chug and crunch of the music almost marks the exact turning point where the open-ended explorations of Reed's bunch turned into the groundwork for glam's own sheer rampage. Mick Ronson's guitar work takes everything to the heights, its snarling, fat explosiveness as much a glam trademark and rock trademark as anything else the era served up, platform boots or not. Keyboards that sound like a distorted horn section add to the thick, meaty blast, while persistent, driving piano increases the nervous energy. Some of the lyrics seem like bad ideas, but Bowie's inspired "Wham, bam, thank you ma'am!" after the fake ending and before the final climax makes up for it all.

[79] Iggy Pop | The Passenger | 1080.6 pts
AM rank : 563
AM 1970s rank : 117
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 289
Position in 1977 poll: 8

Fans : TimmyWing (5) Romain (5) Kingoftonga (1)
Haters : LiveinPhoenix (137) Henry (139)

Treble : “The Passenger” is a catchy pop song, but it’s probably one of the most hardcore songs you’ll ever hear. Right from the gallop of the opening guitar you know you’re in for a ride. Iggy makes the abject abandon of the song feel utterly believable. There is disturbing truth in his stark vision, but when Pop and Bowie begin to chant the chorus with manic detachment you can’t help but feel a slight comfort in knowing that you are listening to a song and not actually living this darkness. At the same time you feel a dangerous allure. There is freedom in the wildness, to just give oneself over to the Id within. In an insane world, sanity is the most insane response of all, and the song can disrupt you so strongly because it rocks so hard. “La la, la la, la la la la.”
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

[78] Marvin Gaye | Let's Get It On | 1080.9 pts
AM rank : 251
AM 1970s rank : 51
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 174
Position in 1973 poll: 2

Fans : Henrik (7) Stone37 (12) Henry (7)
Haters : Greg (146) Rob (144)

Alex D (from last time) : I can't understand why anyone wouldn't like this, except for if they were celibate maybe. Do you not feel the power of his voice? It would be over-the-top for anybody else, but it works for Marvin, and whoever the session guy that played the guitar licks is, he is just ballin' on this one.

Rob : I don’t know what it is with me and these Sweet Soul Songs of Seduction, but for some reason they almost always fail to grab me. If an artist tries to get me to make out he usually fails. I’m probably just weird that way, but I just have to say Let’s Get It On doesn’t move me in the slightest. Not that it’s badly executed or anything. Gaye and his musicians do a fine job. They’re just doing something that bores me a bit.

Treble : Can we bypass the obvious, for a moment? Yes, it’s clear what Marvin Gaye wants here, but let’s dive deeper. Originally written with religious themes and Gaye’s plea for sexual liberation in the early ’70s, he and fellow collaborator Ed Townsend were able to craft a song that was much more deeply intimate and sensual. With its background vocals recorded beforehand for the earlier version, the entire song was rewritten to become the iconic jam it is today, layered with Gaye’s incredible voice, funky guitars, a thumping bass and a jazzy beat. Not only was this one of Motown’s most successful singles, but it also put Gaye in the spotlight as a sex icon. This is soul at its finest.

[77] Lou Reed | Satellite of Love | 1082.1 pts
AM rank : 868
AM 1970s rank : 178
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 815
Position in 1972 poll: 14

Fans : Romain (7) DocBrown (8)
Haters : JamieW (141) Henry (136)

Treble : In 1972 Lou Reed teamed up with producer David Bowie, hoping to harness some of his mass appeal, while Bowie was enchanted by Reed’s critical success and artistic vision from The Velvet Underground catalogue. However, both parties knew if Transformer were to succeed, an emulation of styles past wasn’t going to cut it. As a result, the album is stylistically eccentric with songs that feature everything from swinging jazz bass lines (“Walk On The Wild Side”) to an old-timey full brass section (“Good Night Ladies”). “Satellite of Love” is sonically more reserved; apart from the bridge after the second chorus, the tune is mostly composed of Reed’s lyrics over a soft piano melody with David Bowie providing excellently high-pitched background vocals. The lyrics center around a man obsessed with a love that’s continuously out of reach (or possibly under surveillance), and like most offerings on Transformer, Reed sings with a level of compassion and intimacy that invites the listener to spin his/her own personal interpretation. As Reed stated in one of his interviews, “Just because I wrote ["Satellite of Love"] doesn’t mean I know what it’s about.”

[76] The Kinks | Lola | 1093.6 pts
AM rank : 444
AM 1970s rank : 91
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 601
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 41
Position in 1970 poll: 10

Fans : PlasticRam (13) Miguel (11)
Haters :

Rob : Lola sounds like it was tailor made to sing at a bar, with a lot of people at the same time. I’ve never actually hear it being played at a bar so I can’t be sure, but needless to say it’s sing-a-long feel is high. I’m not even going to bother explaining anything further, the following excerpt from the lyrics make explains the appeal of this Kinks classic: Lola, Lo-lo-lo-lo-Lola, Lo-lo-lo-lo-Lola.

-------------------------------------

Right, that's your lot for this morning. If nothing has gone wrong with these rankings, then I'll start moving towards 50 in the afternoon. In the meantime, what songs do you think have surprisingly failed to make it into the top 100? Incidentally there's a song that got a #1 vote, but still only finished 148th !!

(...I should check that.)
Last edited by Zorg on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

At least my rankings are correctly. Great presentation!

Edit: Well I had Theme de Yoyo as my #136, but I keep getting that 136/151 isn't bottom 10%, cos the other way around it's 16/151. So I hope that my ranking is correctly in the statistics, and you don't have to add me as a hater. Just saying this cos there are other #136 haters.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I feel like that
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Zorg wrote: -------------------------------------

Right, that's your lot for this morning. If nothing has gone wrong with these rankings, then I'll start moving towards 50 in the afternoon. In the meantime, what songs do you think have surprisingly failed to make it into the top 100? Incidentally there's a song that got a #1 vote, but still only finished 148th !!

(...I should check that.)
Thanks Zorg for this game and for the great presentation.

For the 148th song with a #1 vote, I put one penny on : Chico Buarque - Construção
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Great presentation so far, Zorg!
Zorg wrote: Alex D (from last time) : I can't understand why anyone wouldn't like this,
(This is about Let's Get It On)

As a "hater" (still the only song I'm a "hater" on that we've come across), I can't help it's curious you picked this old review with that remark and didn't at the review I send you, with the explanation of why I don't like it. Not that you are obliged to post every review I put out mind you, but this switch-up was rather ironic from a personal standpoint. I mean it in good humor and not in criticism if I say that it's somewhat funny that my somewhat negative review gets replaced with "I can't understand why anyone wouldn't like this" ;)
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

oh ha! I completely forgot! I'll edit it in. Let me again say thank you for your comments, they're really wonderful. I think I agree with you about Let's Get It On, it's a song I find rarely compelling.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Rob, I also want to thank you for your comments. They are really good and definitely make the countdown a more interesting read!
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Zorg wrote: Rob : Lola sounds like it was tailor made to sing at a bar, with a lot of people at the same time. I’ve never actually hear it being played at a bar so I can’t be sure, but needless to say it’s sing-a-long feel is high. I’m not even going to bother explaining anything further, the following excerpt from the lyrics make explains the appeal of this Kinks classic: Lola, Lo-lo-lo-lo-Lola, Lo-lo-lo-lo-Lola.
I went to see the musical "It's a Sunny Afternoon" in London, it's 100% Kinks songs (or at least songs from one of the Davies brothers because I Go To Sleep is part of the show). Lola is the finale, the musical tells the story of the Kinks in the 60s so I guess it was hard to find a place for Lola in the story, so the songs works pretty much as a encore with all the crowd singing with the band/actors (all the songs are played live, most by the guys actually playing the Kinks), that was a really fun experience. Lola got the most audience participation, partly because since it wasn't part of the story people were more encouraged to do so, but most likely because that's the best for singing along.
Anyway, great show and not too expensive... the cheap seats have a terrible view but it still was lot of fun.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

PlasticRam wrote:At least my rankings are correctly. Great presentation!

Edit: Well I had Theme de Yoyo as my #136, but I keep getting that 136/151 isn't bottom 10%, cos the other way around it's 16/151. So I hope that my ranking is correctly in the statistics, and you don't have to add me as a hater. Just saying this cos there are other #136 haters.
I switched it after #90 at the behest of Henrik, so that 15 or higher makes you a fan, and 136 and below makes you a hater (unless you didn't fill in the entire ballot, in which case it's something like bottom 15). Before then it was bottom 10%, which would not make you a hater with 136.
Last edited by Zorg on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

[imgsize 249x343]http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/4 ... ppelin.jpg[/imgsize]
[75] Led Zeppelin | Kashmir | 1093.6 pts
AM rank : 221
AM 1970s rank : 45
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 142
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 63
Position in 1975 poll: 7

Fans : Romain (9)
Haters : DocBrown (92/100)

Rob : The other big epic of Led Zeppelin. It sounds like a strange mix between American blues and Middle-Eastern music, played by a British rock band. And it works greatly, like a majestic stomp through a mystic desert. The only thing bringing it down somewhat is its length. It goes on for maybe two minutes to long, which keeps it from the top of both my list for this game as well as my Led Zeppelin list.

Treble : Despite its title, “Kashmir” has its roots primarily in Morocco. Drawing on Northern African and Middle Eastern music, Jimmy Page and John Bonham fleshed out the instrumentals while Robert Plant composed the lyrics on a drive through the Saharan Desert, far from the conflicted land between Pakistan and India to which the title refers. Eschewing his characteristic themes of Celtic mythology, Plant instead weaves Eastern philosophy over the intricate rhythms. Utilizing alternate tuning, drum effects and guest musicians for the orchestral arrangement, the song is probably the most progressive the group ever recorded, drawing not on early rock and roll, blues, English folk, R&B or any of their other typical influences. And even though it runs nearly eight and a half minutes, it garnered, and still continues to receive, a sizeable amount of radio airplay. It’s perhaps the largest feather in the group’s cap (though it’s best to forget the Puff Daddy version, Jimmy Page involvement notwithstanding).
Last edited by Zorg on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

[74] David Bowie | Moonage Daydream | 1098.2 pts
AM rank : 4418
AM 1970s rank : 784
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 474
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 19
Position in 1972 poll: 6

Fans : Romain (11) Nassim (5) Brad (11)
Haters : Henry (146)

Allmusic : If the conceit of David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust album revolved around an alien rock star coming down from the heavens to blow everyone's minds, then "Moonage Daydream" is and remains that particular statement of purpose come to life. It's no surprise the song remains one of the most popular from that record; as a standard to aim at, what Bowie-influenced band or act hasn't taken that as a goal at one time or another? Certainly it doesn't hurt that the track is one of Bowie's fiercest rockers ever, on which the genius performance of guitarist Mick Ronson clearly takes the stage front and center. The song itself begins with a massive overdub of feedback and riffs, acoustic and electric both, cutting between that and Bowie's bizarre but somehow in context perfect claim: "I'm an alligator/I'm a mama-papa coming for you/I'm the space invader!/I'll be a rock and rollin' bitch for you!" As a prototype of glam rock's still-influential formula -- descending, slow chords; high singing; sexually charged if not exploded imagery; thick, fat feedback; and more -- it nails it on every level. Bowie's challenging claims throughout are at once pure fantasy and pure daring courage, tackling the presumed "'manliness" of rock with vision upon vision of anything but. Ronson's keyboards and final, swirling string arrangement, matched with a brilliant guitar solo, prove the icing on the cake, sealing "Moonage Daydream" forever as a rock classic.

Rob : It’s not an easy choice, but to me this is the high point of Ziggy Stardust. Perhaps because it is the most unpredictable song there. Even after many listens it is sometimes hard to pinpoint how many different instruments there are and which steals the show. Bowie’s voice is all over the place, in a good way. Everything here has a fittingly spacy feeling; glamorous and sexy. In Starman the singer described he heard some “hazy cosmic jazz”. He might be referring to Moonage Daydream.

Nassim : Could seem that this is the opposite of the love songs I love : it's over the top and exagerate. But the thing actually is that it is pure and childish in its own way ; what ruins most love songs is the overthinking, the adult pathos, the underlying meanings... There's no such thing in Moonage Daydream, Bowie really means it, for 4:38 he really is an alligator, he really wants you to make him jump into the air and don't you dare move your electric eyes from him. Plus killer solos, orchestration, unforgettable chorus and one of Bowie's greatest delivery doesn't hurt.

Zorg : A huge drop for Moonage Daydream compared to the 2010 poll, but compared to critical consensus AMF still rates Moonage Daydream (deservedly) high.

[73] Bruce Springsteen | Jungleland | 1104.9 pts
AM rank : 1170
AM 1970s rank : 232
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 492
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 42
Position in 1975 poll: 13

Fans : TimmyWing (15) Listyguy (11)
Haters : DaveC (149) BleuPanda (144)

Alex D : It's a great finale to one of my all-time favorite albums, beautifully arranged, with a great story in the lyrics. It almost feels like you're watching a Scorsese film in song. Oh, and Clarence Clemons' sax solo is pretty good too.
Last edited by Zorg on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

[imgsize 230x343]http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/303 ... loub01.jpg[/imgsize]
[72] Elvis Costello & The Attractions | Oliver's Army | 1108 pts
AM rank : 727
AM 1970s rank : 150
Position in 1979 poll: 7

Fans : Honorio (11) DaveC (10) CharlieDriggs (12)
Haters : PlasticRam (144) JamieW (145) Fred (36/43)

Honorio : An angry view on British Army recruitment policy disguised as a (poisoned) candy because of its brilliant pop melody.

Rob : Elvis Costello goes pop, or does he? Costello has made plenty of fun songs, but this one is especially catchy, as if he just had to attract the masses. Of course, the lyrics are a bitter commentary on modern warfare, not exactly chart material, so this kind of musical arrangement was perhaps needed. Whatever, there is really something to Oliver’s Army, a song I can listen to over and over.

[71] Lynyrd Skynyrd | Sweet Home Alabama | 1108.2 pts
AM rank : 425
AM 1970s rank : 75
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 476
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 58
Position in 1974 poll: 3

Fans : Miguel (2) Harold (9) DocBrown (11)
Haters : TimmyWing (147) Sonofsamiam (148) Romain (143) CharlieDriggs (136/145) Brad (137)

Rob : A reactionary song or actually an ironic commentary? Take your pick, while I simply enjoy one of the most satisfying country-tinged rock songs of its time. It’s pleasures aren’t hard to grasp: a very sweet main riff, some great backing vocals and a boogie-style piano solo at the end that I always wish would go on longer.

LiveinPhoenix : My favorite Skynyrd guitar attack. But let me defer to an expert opinion: "I'd rather play 'Sweet Home Alabama' than 'Southern Man' any time. I first heard it and really liked the way they played their guitars. Then I heard my own name in it and thought, 'Now this is pretty great.'" (Neil Young)

[70] Van Morrison | Moondance | 1112.7 pts
AM rank : 511
AM 1970s rank : 104
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 351
Position in 1970 poll: 11

Fans : Otisredding (4) Mindrocker (14)
Haters : Greg (143) Sonofsamiam (144) Romain (151) PlasticRam (149)

PlasticRam : Gag me with a spoon! The worst song on the album.

Rob : There is a moment in Moondance, around the 3:34 minute mark on the album version, where for the second time Van Morrison sings: “You know the night’s magic”. Right after that he is supposed to sing the next part of the lyrics (“seems to whisper and hush”), along with the piano notes. Yet this time he waits a few seconds, till the piano has played is part. Morrison is clearly too late, but instead of ruining the song it adds to it. The way he finally sings the line is with clear enthusiasm and that he is off-key only makes it sound more spontaneous. It is completely in line with the infectious feel this song possesses. A giddy feeling of love that can’t be contained by music alone. That is the part of the lasting appeal of Moondance, captured right there in that small moment.

PS: this is my plan for the next couple of days:

Today (19th): get to 51
Tomorrow: fill in 151-101
21st: 50-21
22nd: 20-1
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

[69] The Velvet Underground | Sweet Jane | 1115.8 pts
AM rank : 294
AM 1970s rank : 57
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 186
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 28
Position in 1970 poll: 8

Fans : Kingoftonga (11) BleuPanda (5)
Haters : Nassim (136) Bonnielaurel (148)

Treble : Writing with regard to the characters in his film, Kings of the Road, Wim Wenders describes them as of his generation, that generation who had the experience, in post-war West Germany, that Lou Reed details in Loaded‘s other great anthem, “Rock & Roll.” Saved from boredom by the music playing on the radio. Saved from nothingness. In some way, I almost feel like my love for rock and roll, which wavers from time to time, lives and dies with “Sweet Jane” — which is to say it lives. After all the cruelty and narcosis and pain and nihilism of the first two Velvets records came the redemption of the third, and from that somehow “Sweet Jane” enters the world. Or so I like to imagine. It’s not difficult to take Lou Reed at his word when he says that he felt like he could write lyrics forever to the chord progression at the core of “Sweet Jane,” but that he ended up with what he ended up with, who could possibly explain that?

Rob : Forget the experimentalism, weird stuff and dark themes of The Velvet Underground for minute; they have fun here. And what got them in such high spirits? Well, the mundane lives of middleclass and probably midlife people. There is an unusual amount of affection for Jack and Jane and their love life. So much affection even, that this is one of those rare moments in which Lou Reed makes an effort to sing. His imperfect, but ecstatic vocals find a strangely perfect place here, making the whole thing more infectious. It is still to alternative a song to be called pop or mainstream, but it’s as accessible a song as The Velvets ever did and part of the fun is how all-out they go with it. Lou Reed’s later solo reinvention of this on the live Rock n Roll Animal is as remarkable in its own right as the original.

[68] Big Star | Thirteen | 1118.6 pts
AM rank : 641
AM 1970s rank : 134
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 579
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 22
Position in 1972 poll: 8

Fans : Greg (2) Nassim (1) Honorio (14)
Haters : Rob (148) PlasticRam (147)

Nassim : Terribly close call for 1st place, how do you compare one of the most touching love songs ever to a rock'n'roll explosion of shredded guitars and raw power ? I'll give it to Big Star for showing how a love song should be : simple, pure, innocent, straight forward, free of any pathos and melodically perfect.

Rob : My First Guitar Song. At least that’s what Thirteen sounds like to me. Apparently, Big Star are one of the most unappreciated and original acts of the seventies. Perhaps. I don’t hear it. I’ve listened to #1 Record for this project and it was the most disappointing thing I came across (on a side-note: I never got around to the other two Big Star albums). It sounds like weaker Beatle-leftovers to me at best. Thirteen reminds me of some friends who for the first time played to me a song they wrote, before either abandoning music or going on to better things. It’s really dime-a-dozen stuff, especially the unimaginative guitar playing. Some might say it is fresh to write from the perspective of a thirteen-year old, but I fail to be impressed.

Honorio : The perfect Polaroid picture of the teenage years, with its bitter-sweetness and its glory. Those dreamy backing vocals!

I've always loved the cover of #1 Record, so I used that picture. I'll use one of the band for September Gurls. Really interesting to read the contrast between Rob's comment on the one hand and Nassim and Honorio's on the other. For my money, it sounds ridiculously simple and cutesy. But isn't that a perfect description of teenage love? It just feels...appropriate.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

[imgsize 343x343]http://cdn2.thelineofbestfit.com/media/ ... smith.jpeg[/imgsize]
[67] Patti Smith | Gloria | 1120.9 pts
AM rank : 164
AM 1970s rank : 80
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 72
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 66
Position in 1975 poll: 9

Fans : BleuPanda (3)
Haters : Greg (148) JamieW (150) Dan (143) Bonnielaurel (138)

Rob : Not Patti Smith’s biggest hit, but her most defining song for sure. There are of course the famous opening lines about Jesus with which she announces herself as one of the great, crazed poets of rock, one who prides herself for “being outside of the society” (to paraphrase another song of hers). It also captures greatly the free style approach to rock. The playing is all over the place, but it always underscores Smith’s own non-linear delivery of the lines. Her singing is of a certain kind of crazy that I cannot resist. I wonder what Van Morrison thought of this.

[66] Pink Floyd | Shine on You Crazy Diamond | 1121.4 pts
AM rank : 1771
AM 1970s rank : 351
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 916
Position in 1975 poll: 10

Fans : Rob (4) Kingoftonga (3) Fred (13) DaveC (6)
Haters : Dan (146) CharlieDriggs (133/145)

Rob : Besides Wish You Were Here Shine On You Crazy Diamond is the standout track of the album (Have a Cigar and Welcome to the Machine are fan favourites too, but which Floyd song from this phase isn’t a fan favourite?). Where the title track is relatively simple for this band, Shine On might be their most ambitious song ever, with perhaps Echoes as the exception. An ode to former band leader Syd Barrett, it’s probably the most heartfelt thing they ever did and it totally lives up to its ambition. There is too much to get in here now, but the touching lyrics (much better than anything the Floyd team ever wrote) and the Dick Parry played saxophone steal it. One of my all-time favourites.
Last edited by Zorg on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

[65] Boston | More Than a Feeling | 1122.4 pts
AM rank : 419
AM 1970s rank : 82
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 230
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 50
Position in 1976 poll: 4

Fans :
Haters : Romain (145) Nicolas (122/125) DocBrown (100/100) DaveC (140)

Rob : This is one of those rock songs that seems to have put its mind to aiming straight for the heavens. It tries to be as grand as possible, while still wanting to remain a rock song. It doesn’t do so lyrically so much as musically, with the soaring voice of Brad Delp trying to get as high as possible for a long time, accompanied by a guitar that seems to want to fly into the sky. Miraculously, it all completely works. Boston could never top it, even though they did other fine work, but nobody could blame them.

[64] Iggy & The Stooges | Search and Destroy | 1123.8 pts
AM rank : 307
AM 1970s rank : 61
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 115
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 54
Position in 1973 poll: 5

Fans : Nassim (2) LiveinPhoenix (15) Brad (4)
Haters : Henrik (146) Miguel (146) Henry (140) Fred (38/43) Dan (151) Bonnielaurel (147) Antonius (139)

Nassim : If you could strip rock and roll down to its essence and put it on record, you'd get Search and Destroy : a self destructive call for love where every instruments if fighting to top the others. Raw energy, raw fun, raw power.

Rob : Lives up to its title.

[63] Bobby Womack | Across 110th Street | 1124 pts
AM rank : 2327
AM 1970s rank : 453
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 206
Position in 1972 poll: 13

Fans : Henrik (14) CharlieDriggs (2)
Haters : Miguel (137) Harold (136) Fred (34/43) BleuPanda (151)

Rob : Across 110th street isn’t the most remembered Blaxploitation movie in history (undeserved in my opinion, as it is really, really good; though expect a more serious movie than usual in the genre) and its soundtrack isn’t a classic on par with Superfly, The Harder They Come or Shaft. Yet at least its title stands tall as a mighty tower. To me, it’s the best song of its type, all the more surprising as this isn’t really Womack’s usual style. It shows his versatility, bringing an almost opera-like sense of drama to gritty street life, with Womack’s own voice as impactful as any gangster’s weapon. Absolutely thrilling.

[62] Neil Young | Cortez the Killer | 1124 pts
AM rank : 740
AM 1970s rank : 155
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 301
Position in 1975 poll: 11

Fans : Greg (1) Nicolas (5) Nassim (10)
Haters : Stone37 (137/142) Dan (147) BleuPanda (141)

Nassim : One of my 2 favorite songwriters ever, Doug Martsch, has ever been compared to Neil Young, and that's the one time I really understand the comparison, especially in the way the guitar is free to wander around, to vary its inflexions, each new note like a small stab through your heart, backed up with a second guitar doing a more subtle but crucial job of carrying the melody but also the vocal delivery aiming more for earnestness than accuracy, the double meaning of the lyrics, the simple but fitting drums... No surprise Built to Spill made a 20 minute cover.

Rob : Neil Young at his best can create a guitar sound that is at the same time quiet and very rough. In Cortez the Killer it creates a very particular mood, at once melancholic and tough. It would lend itself easily to a song about lost love or another one of Young’s bitter songs about drug abuse as he did many times in the mid-seventies. Instead, we get an ode to the Aztecs. That’s as vintage Neil Young as you can get.

[61] Pink Floyd | Comfortably Numb | 1133.9 pts
AM rank : 693
AM 1970s rank : 143
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 213
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 77
Position in 1979 poll: 4

Fans : JamieW (7)
Haters : Dan (145)

Rob : Forget Roger Waters’ anxieties for a minute (not that the lyrics will let you), this is David Gilmour’s moment. His guitar playing has always seemed to float for me and here it flies right in to a state of unconsciousness. It is not my favourite Pink Floyd song (though I love it), but in a way it feels like the song they always were trying to make, especially from Gilmour’s point of view, but yes, the same could be said about Waters’ lyrics. No wonder it’s the song that even Floyd fans that don’t like The Wall love.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Where's #66?
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

[imgsize 400x400]http://acerecords.co.uk/images/FunkadelicMaggotBrai.jpg[/imgsize]
[60] Funkadelic | Maggot Brain | 1141.7 pts
AM rank : 1777
AM 1970s rank : 353
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 137
Position in 1971 poll: 7

Fans : Sonofsamiam (4) Nassim (6) JamieW (13) CharlieDriggs (9)
Haters : Otisredding (147) Miguel (144) Mindrocker (140) Listyguy (143) Dan (142) Antonius (149)

Nassim : Boasting one of the greatest spoken intro ever, Maggot Brain is an hypnotic instrumental masterpiece, the ultimate prove that a guitar can convery all the deepest feelings in the world.

Rob : One of the great crimes of omission in this song list, along with the total lack of Joni Mitchell songs, is the absence of those funk classics by Parliament/ Funkadelic. Luckily, as some sort of compensation, we have this: Maggot Brain. Not a funk song by any means, but George Clinton wasn’t a one trick pony. It must have seemed only natural to him to produce a long guitar mood piece. Famously, ace guitar player Eddie Hazel was told to imagine his mother has died. The result is a song of understated terror. The seventies didn’t exactly lack guitar solos, but this is up there with the best.

[59] Robert Wyatt | Sea Song | 1148.4 pts
AM rank : 805
AM 1970s rank : 165
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 135
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 34
Position in 1974 poll: 4

Fans : Henrik (1) Nicolas (2) Fred (10) CharlieDriggs (1)
Haters : Rockyracoon (148) LiveinPhoenix (146) Listyguy (142) Bonnielaurel (146)

Rob : Sea Song is one of those songs that typically has to grow on me. Not exactly big on hooks, but all the bigger on strange sounds and mild experimentation, to say nothing about rather abstract lyrics, it’s a hard sell. But grow it does and slowly it reveals itself to be a strange and touching song. Part deeply personal, part abstract, part mythical and part whimsical, the lyrics start to live a life of their own and the music is more sweet and at the same time contains more raw feeling than most songs can muster. That being said, I feel it is still growing as I write this.

[imgsize 400x400]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61Ab-td5fbL.jpg[/imgsize]
[58] The Who | Behind Blue Eyes | 1149 pts
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 160
Position in 1971 poll: 15

Fans : LiveinPhoenix (12) JamieW (8) Henry (2)
Haters : Henrik (147)

Rob : An overwrought lament of self-pity or a moving rock ballad about someone who feels misunderstood? Decide for yourself, I love it. It was Limp Bizkit who tried to ruin it, by adding lines that emphasized the self-pity. The Who are hardly to blame, especially thanks to the rock part that adds a despair that lacks in Limp Bizkit’s obviously inferior cover (they don’t even use those lines). To me it falls just on the right side of sentimentality.

[57] Curtis Mayfield | Move On Up | 1156 pts
AM rank : 389
AM 1970s rank : 71
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 231
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 65
Position in 1970 poll: 13

Fans : Sonofsamiam (14)
Haters :

Rob : Curtis Mayfield has been my most important discovery during this year. I only had a passing familiarity with him, but listening to Curtis! and Superfly for the album list really made clear to me that he was maybe the greatest talent of his genre. His way of singing is unique and there is an earthly grittiness to his lyrics that I admire a lot. This never made him lose his touch with pure, danceable funk however, as we can see in Move On Up. I’ll admit that there is a fair few songs I would pick over this, but honestly, when that great extended musical solo starts in the second half such observations aren’t important anymore.

[imgsize 400x400]http://cfs7.tistory.com/image/8/tistory ... a690bcbcbd[/imgsize]
[56] Brian Eno | By This River | 1156.9 pts
AM rank : 5534
AM 1970s rank : 983
AMF 2012 All-Time poll rank : 629
Position in 1977 poll: 12

Fans : Henrik (3) Nassim (14) JamieW (4) CharlieDriggs (10)
Haters : Otisredding (148) Miguel (139) Listyguy (144) Harold (141) Brad (141) BleuPanda (140)

Nassim : If anyone can rationalize how such a simple piano loop can be so emotionaly strong, I'd be very interested.

TimmyWing : I almost wish this didn't have lyrics - the instrumental is saddening enough as it is, not to mention tranquil. The music doesn't even need words to convey those emotions.

Rob : Brian Eno has only two songs in this list, but the contrast is as big as can be. After the strange hard rock feeling of Third Uncle we get this, one of the quietest songs on the list. It’s as simple as a ballad can be, but Eno was at the top of his game here and gives the whole a real feeling of being not by, but on the river. A river that you sense has deep, dark secrets under its surface, but on top of that all is quiet for the moment. Also: La Stanza del Figlio.

I'll end here at 56 with a really polarising song. It really seems as if you either love it or hate it.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Where's #66?
Oops. Edited.

Also, I was so aware doing the last 10 or so, that I kept knocking out Nassim's favourites! Sorry :|
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Zorg wrote:[57] Curtis Mayfield | Move On Up | 1156 pts
Haters :
Good.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”