[Results] The Best Albums of the 1970s

Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Re: [Results] The Best Albums of the 1970s

Post by Zorg »

Huge jumps from here on in. A solid 4th place for the Boss, over 50 points ahead of #5.

[imgsize 343x343]http://cdn.riffraf.net/wp-content/uploa ... -800wi.jpg[/imgsize]
[4] Bruce Springsteen | Born to Run | 1812 pts
AM rank : 17
AM 1970s rank : 6
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 4
Position in 1975 poll: 1
Position in AMF 2014 all-time albums poll: 16

Fans : Greg (5) PlasticRam (12) LiveinPhoenix (4) Henrik (2) Nicolas (2) TimmyWing (13) Honorio (8) Harold (15) Listyguy (7) Brad (9) Stone37 (1) DocBrown (2)
Haters : Romain (131)

Honorio : Springsteen wanted his album to sound like "Roy Orbison singing Bob Dylan produced by Phil Spector." And he succeeded, the wall of sound was taken by Jon Landau and a renewed E-Street Band, the lyrics were as rich as Dylan's and the dramatic deliverance owed debts to Roy Orbison. But no mistakes here, the final result was 100% Springsteen.

TimmyWing : A very ambitious album, but one that manages to reach the epic heights it aims for. Favourite Tracks: Thunder Road, Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out, Born to Run, Jungleland
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Top 3!!!! :o
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

I really don't get the 70s, that's by far the decade I like the least with only 13 albums from back then on my top 200 albums (that's more than the 60s but there isn't much music I feel a strong dislike or have no clue why they get love and acclaim back then). There's still a lot I love : Black Sabbath, Eno, early Big Star etc... and I grew appreciation for a lot of the albums that went through to our top 150 (even some I didn't like before like Blood on Tracks).
As you can see I appear a lot in the haters of the top 20, I won't complain too much because I still get to have 2 of my top 200 of all time in the top 3.
Anyway, the worst offender and an album I really don't get is Low, I don't get its acclaim, at all,it's a tough fight between that and Layla for worst album of AM top 200 in my book (especially now that I am a bird now fell down to 205).
I also don't get What's Going On, the title song and Inner City Blues are great but I find anything else in the album tedious and boring. Saying I hate Innervisions is a bit tough too, I guess I'm the one who put it the lowest. It's just that I don't find it as consistent as the other 2 Stevie Wonder's albums in our top 150.

So I'm glad our top 5 is something I can get behind !
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

I just realised that the cover of LZIV has a guy in it. Amazing result for IV.

[imgsize 343x343]http://superhypeblog.com/wp-content/upl ... zep-iv.jpg[/imgsize]
[3] Led Zeppelin | Led Zeppelin IV  | 1944.1 pts
AM rank : 31
AM 1970s rank : 11
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 7
Position in 1971 poll: 1
Position in AMF 2014 all-time albums poll: 15

Fans : Greg (7) LiveinPhoenix (7) RockyRaccoon (3) Nicolas (11) ChrisK (11) Harold (12) Listyguy (1) Brad (14) Mindrocker (15) Jirin (5) DaveC (7) BleuPanda (10) Romain (13) Stone37 (4)
Haters :

Honorio : The pinnacle of heavy metal and, for good or bad, probably the most influential album ever. Metal is here to stay.

AMG : Encompassing heavy metal, folk, pure rock & roll, and blues, Led Zeppelin's untitled fourth album is a monolithic record, defining not only Led Zeppelin but the sound and style of '70s hard rock. Expanding on the breakthroughs of III, Zeppelin fuse their majestic hard rock with a mystical, rural English folk that gives the record an epic scope. Even at its most basic -- the muscular, traditionalist "Rock and Roll" -- the album has a grand sense of drama, which is only deepened by Robert Plant's burgeoning obsession with mythology, religion, and the occult. Plant's mysticism comes to a head on the eerie folk ballad "The Battle of Evermore," a mandolin-driven song with haunting vocals from Sandy Denny, and on the epic "Stairway to Heaven." Of all of Zeppelin's songs, "Stairway to Heaven" is the most famous, and not unjustly. Building from a simple fingerpicked acoustic guitar to a storming torrent of guitar riffs and solos, it encapsulates the entire album in one song. Which, of course, isn't discounting the rest of the album. "Going to California" is the group's best folk song, and the rockers are endlessly inventive, whether it's the complex, multi-layered "Black Dog," the pounding hippie satire "Misty Mountain Hop," or the funky riffs of "Four Sticks." But the closer, "When the Levee Breaks," is the one song truly equal to "Stairway," helping give IV the feeling of an epic. An apocalyptic slice of urban blues, "When the Levee Breaks" is as forceful and frightening as Zeppelin ever got, and its seismic rhythms and layered dynamics illustrate why none of their imitators could ever equal them.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Listyguy wrote:
Zorg wrote: Sticky Fingers beats Exile again. But just how far can Sticky go?!
This might be the best development of the poll, unless Zeppelin IV gets top 5. I've always thought "Exile" was overrated, while "Sticky Fingers" is a top 5 all time for me.
When I saw this I giggled hard. Both thoroughly deserved rises in my opinion. Both albums with amazing endings as well - Dead Flowers/Moonlight Mile and When The Levee Breaks are about as good as you get.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Also, note the huge 120 point jump from Born To Run and IV.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Zorg wrote:Also, note the huge 120 point jump from Born To Run and IV.
I've been thinking about this, and I think the huge jumps are cos the point scores are much higher than lower in the list, and also cos there are fewer albums in those huge figures. Maybe this is a circular argument, idk.
I feel like that
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Ok let's finish this off. Sorry for dragging this on for sooooo long, when I volunteered I had no idea how busy I would be at this time with university finals. But hopefully the wait was worth it!

[imgsize 343x343]http://www.computeraudiophile.com/attac ... london.jpg[/imgsize]
[2] The Clash | London Calling | 2000.2 pts
AM rank : 8
AM 1970s rank : 3
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 2
Position in 1979 poll: 1
Position in AMF 2014 all-time albums poll: 4

Fans : Dan (14) PlasticRam (7) Kingoftonga (4) LiveinPhoenix (1) RockyRaccoon (2) TimmyWing (4) Honorio (2) ChrisK (3) Harold (1) Jirin (12) DaveC (2) BleuPanda (8) Romain (4) Stone37 (8) DocBrown (7)
Haters :

Honorio : Punk attitude. Or, why not, rock & roll attitude. The prodigiously vast array of music styles that The Clash displayed on their magnum opus, including pop, rock and reggae but even rockabilly, ragtime, ska, funk or soul (and that was going to be even wider with "Sandinista") got tied together by the rage, the fury, the pride and the combativeness of punk.

TimmyWing : No one needs to defend London Calling - it's a classic album by rote. Favourite Tracks: too many to mention.

LiveinPhoenix : This is not a double album that gets carried to the finish line on “personality” or sheer nerve -- instead, the Clash never lets up with great songs and it feels like they could go on for-fucking-ever. No matter the reality (i.e. Sandinista); the Clash still managed one of the unforgettable achievements in rock history.

[1] David Bowie | The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars | 2020 pts

AM rank : 16
AM 1970s rank : 5
AMF 2010 1970s poll rank : 1
Position in 1972 poll: 1
Position in AMF 2014 all-time albums poll: 5

Fans : Dan (1) LiveinPhoenix (10) Nassim (1) Henrik (7) Antonius (7) Nicolas (10) Honorio (1) ChrisK (1) Listyguy (8) Brad (2) Mindrocker (3) DaveC (6) BleuPanda (1) Romain (2) Miguel (11)
Haters :

TimmyWing : Yeah, not bad. Favourite Tracks: Moonage Daydream, Starman, Lady Stardust, Rock 'n' Roll Suicide

Honorio : Bowie's theatrical impersonation of the ultimate rock star, an androgynous extra-terrestrial coming from Mars to the Earth with a message of hope in an apocalyptical scenario ("we had five years left to cry in") falling finally victim of his own sex-drug excesses and the mad worship of his fans ("the kids have killed the man"), showed the tricks and the traps underneath messianic rock and foreshadowed the end of classic rock stardom that was going to come with punk rock.

Congratulations Ziggy.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Thanks zorg again for all of this.

Very great top 3 and so happy to see Bowie in the first place... he deserve this.

And I'm pleasantly surprise to see Melody Nelson at the 37th rank.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Great job, Zorg!
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Fantastic job Zorg!

The top 2 are not my faves, but the rest of gang here clearly loves them.

After listening more closely to London Calling this year, I now strongly prefer Ziggy.

At least VU doesn't top the list.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Excellent top 3. Pity about #4 (although I don't hate it).

Thanks for all your hard work Zorg.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Thanks for all the time and effort you've put into this, Zorg. There were several surprises. I expected the top 2 in reverse order, and Pink Floyd higher. I'm glad Stevie Wonder did well.
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Thanks all. All worth it to be a "unquestionable presence". Polls do wonders for your post count.

Here's the final spreadsheet with everyone's lists as a separate tab. If someone would like to do correlations, that would be greatly appreciated, I've stretched my computer literacy to its limit enough times in the last month or so!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Good work, Zorg.

Sure you have not given to Songs In The Key Of Life some points? Approximately 300 points, are you sure?
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Top 10: UK 6 - USA 4

But top 3: UK 3 - USA 0

Paul Simonon and Bowie celebrating the victory

[imgsize 600x500]http://pokingsmot.net/wp-content/upload ... k-1982.jpg[/imgsize]
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

There are some good correlation calculators online that you can find just through Google. Only problem is you'd have to pick out albums both people listened to by hand instead of just copy pasting because all the zeroes will throw off the results.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

The Simon brothers not pleased:

I feel like that
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Zorg wrote:Ok let's finish this off. Sorry for dragging this on for sooooo long, when I volunteered I had no idea how busy I would be at this time with university finals. But hopefully the wait was worth it!
It was definitely worth it! You've done an amazing job, Zorg. I enjoyed it all the way through!

I thought you said you were done with the university finals? I really hope this didn't ruin it for you!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Miguel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Miguel »

Thank you very much for your great work, Zorg. :greetings-waveyellow:
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Henrik wrote:
Zorg wrote:Ok let's finish this off. Sorry for dragging this on for sooooo long, when I volunteered I had no idea how busy I would be at this time with university finals. But hopefully the wait was worth it!
It was definitely worth it! You've done an amazing job, Zorg. I enjoyed it all the way through!

I thought you said you were done with the university finals? I really hope this didn't ruin it for you!
The actual exams are in May or June or something, but the countdown has already begun...I've begun using Music For Airports as revision music but I keep noticing it sounds like Frere Jacques and then I can't concentrate. :angry-banghead:
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Sorry for reacting that late, Zorg (I was tremendously busy and missed the results live) but I wanted to express my congratulations for the excellent presentation of this 1970s poll. I'm obviously glad to see my #1 and #2 albums on #1 and #2 overall positions (and the rest of my Top 10 on the Top 25), both albums are to me the quintessential albums of the 70s, Ziggy for the first half and London Calling for the second half.
Awesome work, Zorg. And good luck with your exams!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”