AMF All-Time Song Poll (2015 edition results)

whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Re: AMF All-Time Song Poll (2015 edition results)

Post by whuntva »

phil wrote:
whuntva wrote: Songs in the AM Top 500 that did NOT make the poll's Top 1000

Please let me know if I missed any or if any of these songs charted after all. I tried my best.
Here are additional ones that appear to have not made the top 1000 from the AM top 500:
105 Carl Perkins - Blue Suede Shoes
167 The Impressions - People Get Ready
228 Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A.
383 Funkadelic/Parliament - One Nation Under a Groove
427 Al Green - Tired of Being Alone
483 Joan Jett and The Blackhearts - I Love Rock 'n Roll
"Born in the USA" was #927.

I guess I just assumed "I Love Rock n' Roll" and "One Nation Under A Groove" were on here and didn't even bother to check.

But thank you.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Funkadelic/Parliament's lack of popularity here is really strange to me. Their one song that does consistently well here also doesn't really represent their usual sound. And it's not like we've simply chosen another band of that style to throw our love onto, it's just largely ignored.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

BleuPanda wrote:Funkadelic/Parliament's lack of popularity here is really strange to me. Their one song that does consistently well here also doesn't really represent their usual sound. And it's not like we've simply chosen another band of that style to throw our love onto, it's just largely ignored.
And sad. They are fantastic, as are spinoff acts.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Thanks BleuPanda for all ! Great list !
Greg Rumpff
Strange Fruit

Post by Greg Rumpff »

Blanco wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:There's a general trend in this list where more obscure acts struggle to get their signature hit featured while many classic acts easily manage a few completely random tracks.
Yeah. More or less the same thing I think every day I enter this forum. This list is just the evidence. I do not complain much, I am also guilty of this. But if a song that was barely mentioned before, begins to have more listeners, I am satisfied. I guess that's the best trophy, even more than the highest places in the list.
I can only speak for myself but I tend to distrust my opinion on anything that's too "modern" (or even just really new for me) because I tend to keep seeking out new tunes (I assume we all do and that's why we're here). It's easier to know my mind about a song I've heard for five years again and again and again than it is something that might just be the beneficiary of the "Oooh shiny!" effect.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Top 10 AM songs that didn't get any vote :

The Everly Brothers - Cathy's Clown (#378)
Bobbie Gentry - Ode to Billie Joe (#536)
Bo Diddley - I'm a Man (#557)
Jimmie Rodgers - Blue Yodel (T for Texas) (#596)
Klaxons - Golden Skans (#669)
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes (#695)
Sam Cooke - Shake (#697)
Billie Holiday - God Bless the Child (#704)
Snoop Dogg - Drop It Like It's Hot (#707)
Lil Wayne - A Milli (#719)

God Bless the Child and I'm A Man had covers appear in one or 2 ballots each though.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Rap list? Anyone? :mrgreen:
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Bruno wrote:Rap list? Anyone? :mrgreen:
Yes I'm in most definitely.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

For sure I'm in for both rap songs and albums
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

I could do a rap song list
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Bruno wrote:Rap list? Anyone? :mrgreen:
You can count me in!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I feel we've been discussing a rap list long enough in this topic that someone should just do it. Or at least make a separate planning topic.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

I would I'm just not familiar enough to know how to start it for this forum or what categories: All Rap Songs/albums, '90s songs/albums, 00 songs/albums, '10 songs/albums so far. All of it. Need some assistance getting it going. Maybe it can be a group effort. :mrgreen:
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

I'll try to, although my knowledge of rap is probably scarcier than that of people calling for the poll.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

If someone can forward me a sample excel sheet or instructions I could use to compile lists and determine rankings I would try my hand at running such a poll!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I think a poll would be less interesting than a tourney. I think the point is we as a board need to better explore rap. If we only do a list, we're still going to end up with a bunch of the same stuff on top.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

BleuPanda wrote:I think a poll would be less interesting than a tourney. I think the point is we as a board need to better explore rap. If we only do a list, we're still going to end up with a bunch of the same stuff on top.

Good point, a discussion thread for rap, or a list of "must-listen" rap albums would be a good place to start
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

BleuPanda wrote:I think a poll would be less interesting than a tourney. I think the point is we as a board need to better explore rap. If we only do a list, we're still going to end up with a bunch of the same stuff on top.
How would we get the songs for a tourney though? If we take them from the AM list it's also just going to be the same songs that will find the top of the list. That also opens the door wide open for what is and isn't hip hop debates.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Listyguy wrote:
How would we get the songs for a tourney though? If we take them from the AM list it's also just going to be the same songs that will find the top of the list. That also opens the door wide open for what is and isn't hip hop debates.
Glad someone else is in the same line of thinking as me. A tourney :? That doesn't sound like fun. And saying that making is list will have the same ol' same ol' isn't true. You never know there could be some surprises. It's like saying the all time song list is going to have the same songs. If so then that's how it is but there is a reason why the same songs are on the list because they are good and a lot of people like them. Let the people decide and don't determine what we are going to pick based off of assumption.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

What if we had a month-long recommendation and listening thread where we could discuss and bring up some great rap albums that might not have a huge prescence on AM, as well as revisit some of the classics. At the end of the month, the lists thread would open up and we could begin the poll?
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

notbrianeno wrote:What if we had a month-long recommendation and listening thread where we could discuss and bring up some great rap albums that might not have a huge prescence on AM, as well as revisit some of the classics. At the end of the month, the lists thread would open up and we could begin the poll?
I think this is a good idea as well. How do we go about doing this. Do we create a thread called '50 most underappreciate rap albums/songs' type of list. Or maybe an unlimited list. Just throwing it out there.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

I'd say top 100 or 200 songs/albums.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Hey everyone! I'm back from my trip, and holy CRAP, there's a LOT to catch up on. I haven't seen the results, but before I do, I just need to thank BleuPanda so much for putting in the effort to bring this all together. I'm really glad I got to participate in this.

Time to dive in now!
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

I made like a million comments and my internet sucks and now they're all gone... Ah well, I still had fun reading this list.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

For rap I think a poll would work better than a tourney. Though I'm not sure what the results would represent as most voters aren't rap fans. Or we listen to the rap with indie appeal intersection like Kanye. It'd be kind of like how Jethro Tull won a heavy metal Grammy.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:I made like a million comments and my internet sucks and now they're all gone... Ah well, I still had fun reading this list.
:o :(
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

I think that a simple discussion thread would work best for uncovering lesser-acclaimed rap albums.

BleuPanda, if it's not too much trouble, could you post the results list sorted by artist name?
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Shit shit shit...

I hate to bring this up now, but it seems that Stone37's vote for "You Can't Hurry Love (at #112) wasn't counted... I guess it was listed as "Supremes" rather than "THE Supremes". Is it too late to change it? It's just moving up a song that's already listed.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I moved "You Can't Hurry Love" to the right spot. I'll go fix all the numbers when I get more time to do so.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Well, I've gone and done it.

I've actually been working on this since a few weeks after the results. The fact that it took this long says less about how hard it was to make and more about how I was able to making this while, simultaneously, actually having a life. What I'm saying is, don't worry about me. I can be sure that I'm never doing anything like this again, though.

I probably made it more for myself than anyone else, really. Despite frustrations, it was a fun process making this. I made new discoveries and reevaluated songs that I had previously glossed over (I'm looking at you, "New Slang").

So for those of you who still care about this list (or haven't seen it yet) and have two hours to spare, grab your friends and some snacks (and possibly some alcoholic beverages, if you're of legal drinking age) and watch my countdown video.
(I set the video as unlisted, so you can only see it here. If you've looked at the comment section of any YouTube video, you should know why.)
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Well, I've gone and done it.

I've actually been working on this since a few weeks after the results. The fact that it took this long says less about how hard it was to make and more about how I was able to making this while, simultaneously, actually having a life. What I'm saying is, don't worry about me. I can be sure that I'm never doing anything like this again, though.

I probably made it more for myself than anyone else, really. Despite frustrations, it was a fun process making this. I made new discoveries and reevaluated songs that I had previously glossed over (I'm looking at you, "New Slang").

So for those of you who still care about this list (or haven't seen it yet) and have two hours to spare, grab your friends and some snacks (and possibly some alcoholic beverages, if you're of legal drinking age) and watch my countdown video.
(I set the video as unlisted, so you can only see it here. If you've looked at the comment section of any YouTube video, you should know why.)
Oh my God, this is amazing. I know what I'm listening to for the next hour and 40 minutes! I can't even imagine the amount of work that went into this, Ron...Truly incredible (and disciplined).
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

And I just spent the past 100 minutes watching/listening to this. Incredible work, Sweepstakes Ron!! It flows so seamlessly, and the photo gallery you created to accompany the music is a work of art in itself. I understand your reasoning for not wanting to post it publicly on YouTube (dear Lord, do I ever understand); but you can disable the comments if you want. I think the reaction to your project would be predominately positive anyway, since the list is so eclectic that there is plenty in there for everyone to enjoy.

Thanks for creating/posting this. I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it!
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Well, you done it well, it's an incredible amount of work.

I hope for you that it was quite fun to do. Thanks a lot.

Next time, the AMtop 6000 :mrgreen:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Fantastic, Sweepstakes Ron! :happy-partydance:
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Very good job (how many hours ?) Successful selection of pictures and fragments of songs.

Two Oscars® (and possibly some more) for Sweepstakes Ron (here, there, and everywhere): film editing and sound editing.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

AMAZING job, Sweepstakes Ron! :music-listening:
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Wow, thank you SO much for this! Right now, I haven't got enough time, but I'm really, really looking forward to revisiting the list through your video :music-listening: :greetings-waveyellow:
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

A video like that for the Top 100 would have been excellent, let alone 1001 songs. No doubt, the list is better appreciated with visuals and audio snippets. Although I understand your concerns for not publicly posting it in the youtube channel (plus Prince will definitely try to sue you for using his songs), it'd have been a boost for this site nevertheless, this is a legendary feat, my man! You Rock!
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Sweepstakes Ron, beautiful video! Great high quality of rather unknown pics in some cases. Where did you get all these?!
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

Thank you Ron. Great introduction to songs you don't know. Love it.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! Maybe I'll make the video public someday, but I'd like to let it sit for a little while.
babydoll wrote:Sweepstakes Ron, beautiful video! Great high quality of rather unknown pics in some cases. Where did you get all these?!
Google Images, mostly. I tried my best to get pictures of the artists at the time the songs were released, though I may have put a bit too much effort into finding some of them. Built to Spill, for example, almost all the good pictures of them were more recent ones. I don't think anyone would really care if I went with one of those (even if Doug Martsch looks like a lumberjack), but the ones I found fit their whole "lo-fi" aesthetic anyway.

Primal Scream and Love were a lot more difficult to find pictures for than I expected.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Unrelated to the video, but this didn't occur to me until just now: the next time we do this poll, I say we DON'T count remixes separately from the original song. No remixes made the list (except "Ignition" which is not really a standard case), and I don't think anyone put multiple mixes of a song on their list, so the way I see it, all separating remixes does is hold back certain songs.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Unrelated to the video, but this didn't occur to me until just now: the next time we do this poll, I say we DON'T count remixes separately from the original song. No remixes made the list (except "Ignition" which is not really a standard case), and I don't think anyone put multiple mixes of a song on their list, so the way I see it, all separating remixes does is hold back certain songs.
Yeah, I'm totally with you! Donna Summer's I Feel Love would've been higher (and the foundation of the song was there in the remix) and Muddy Waters' Manish Boy would've been in the top 1001 if Andre hadn't voted for the late '70s version which could not be all that different.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

babydoll wrote:
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Unrelated to the video, but this didn't occur to me until just now: the next time we do this poll, I say we DON'T count remixes separately from the original song. No remixes made the list (except "Ignition" which is not really a standard case), and I don't think anyone put multiple mixes of a song on their list, so the way I see it, all separating remixes does is hold back certain songs.
Yeah, I'm totally with you! Donna Summer's I Feel Love would've been higher (and the foundation of the song was there in the remix) and Muddy Waters' Manish Boy would've been in the top 1001 if Andre hadn't voted for the late '70s version which could not be all that different.
Not to mention "Paid in Full" by Eric B. and Rakim, since people noted the lack of rap.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

A bit late, but I only now noticed this. Great job! Enjoyed going through it a lot. I actually toyed with the idea of making something like this for my own top 500 at the time, but this a much better idea.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

babydoll wrote:
Does this mean the rule will be that the version of the song listed in AM (which usually is the original recording) is considered the definitive version? So I have to settle for, say, "About a Girl" Bleach over over the Unplugged in N.Y. one, or the 50's version of "Folsom Prison Blues" over the more awesome 60's live version sang in actual Folsom Prison? Maybe we could just join the votes together but put an asterisk over the song to indicate that another version of the song was voted by someone.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Dexter wrote:
babydoll wrote:
Does this mean the rule will be that the version of the song listed in AM (which usually is the original recording) is considered the definitive version? So I have to settle for, say, "About a Girl" Bleach over over the Unplugged in N.Y. one, or the 50's version of "Folsom Prison Blues" over the more awesome 60's live version sang in actual Folsom Prison? Maybe we could just join the votes together but put an asterisk over the song to indicate that another version of the song was voted by someone.
That was my idea. The AM list includes different versions under the original version but does not specify them unless you look at the lists yourself, but the asterisk is a good idea (for the AMF poll, that is).
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Dexter wrote:
babydoll wrote:
Granted there are always a few flaws with discerning which version of a song truly counts as different. You used About a Girl as an example -- I would say it counts generally as one, because it's just a live version of a previous song they've done. All Apologies are popular as both a studio and the MTV Unplugged version, and are generally counted as one in Henrik's equations.

However, Henrik thinks Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash's duet of Girl from the North Country and Dylan's original are one; I don't think this should be the case as it immediately becomes different by becoming a duet.

Remixes, when the song's foundation is there, like I Feel Love, should also be counted as one. When the remix of a song is completely different - like R. Kelly's Ignition or Jennifer Lopez's I'm Real -- it then should be considered as such.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

babydoll wrote:However, Henrik thinks Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash's duet of Girl from the North Country and Dylan's original are one; I don't think this should be the case as it immediately becomes different by becoming a duet.
Actually, I believe those were counted together in this poll as well. But not the two versions of "Mannish Boy"... Weird.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
babydoll wrote:However, Henrik thinks Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash's duet of Girl from the North Country and Dylan's original are one; I don't think this should be the case as it immediately becomes different by becoming a duet.
Actually, I believe those were counted together in this poll as well. But not the two versions of "Mannish Boy"... Weird.
I know! My point exactly. Something's kinda warped here. It might be necessary to develop a new set of rules concerning different versions of the same song by the same recording artist. I mean, look at the early jazz greats like Billie Holiday or Ella Fitzgerald. Billie Holiday's Strange Fruit and God Bless the Child have been recorded multiple times by Holiday herself. If one person's pinpointing the specific version they like while another voter doesn't necessarily mention their favorite version, why should the latter be only categorized to the general form? Why not Manish Boy or I Feel Love in this example?

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”