Moderately Acclaimed Albums 6 - The Finals!

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 6 - The Finals!

Post by Brad »

Time now for the Final Round of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 6!
Looking for massive participation here!
Vote for your favorite album of the two.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Comments are encouraged but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = November 2nd at 10am EST.

Final Round!

Roy Harper - Stormcock
Round 1: def Sunn 0)))- Monoliths and Dimensions 7-2
Round 2: def Brian Eno - Discreet Music 8-5
Round 3: def The Church - Starfish 9-4
Round 4: def Gil Scott-Heron - Pieces of a Man 10-6
Quarter-Finals: def Laura Marling - I Speak Because I Can 10-6
Semi-Finals: def Gorillaz - Demon Days 7-6

vs.

Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence
Round 1: def New Radicals - Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too 12-3
Round 2: def Lenny Valentino - Uwaga! Jedzie tramwaj 9-2
Round 3: def Spiro - Lightbox 12-4
Round 4: def Ólafur Arnalds - Living Room Songs 9-8
Quarter-Finals: def Lafayette Afro Rock Band - malik 10-5
Semi-Finals: def Sixteen Horsepower - Sackcloth 'n' Ashes 8-6

Shine On Brightly!
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 6 - The Finals!

Post by whuntva »

Stormcock

Jirin and I seemed to have launched a crusade against Lana this tournament. With no success. But I voted against Lana del Ray every round this tournament, and I am not about to stop now.

I can't have an album only a year old beat a solid classic.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

Ultraviolence.
There is No More Firmament.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

I'm going to post first the surprise I prepared for Brad and in a few days I'll post my votes because I still got some thinking to do. When I ranked every song on the albums on Quarter-Finals "Stormcock" and "Ultraviolence" ended tied with 80 points each. So I still haven't decided my vote…
Brad, the surprise for you is the complete list of every lyrics quote you included every week on your presentation with a link to every song you (probably) used as a source. Sometimes finding the song was easy but sometimes was quite difficult. Brad, please tell me which mistakes I made, I'm sure there were many (probably not many in the songs but in the version you had in mind). Congratulations for that fantastic sixth edition, for the excellent presentation and for the brilliant selection of quotes!

1.1 Let the Good Times Roll!
1.2 Let's Go Trippin'!
1.3 Get Your Mojo Working!
1.4 Will You Do the Fandango?
1.5 Fish Fingers All in a Line!
1.6 Happy Days Are Here Again!
1.7 Listen to the Music!
1.8 Let's Have a Party!
1.9 Crucify Your Mind!
1.10 Rockin' in the Free World!
1.11 All About That Bass!
1.12 Smash It Up!
1.13 Good Times!
1.14 To Be a Rock and Not to Roll!
1.15 Shake It Like a Polaroid Picture!
1.16 Ten True Summers We'll Be There and Laughing Too (RIP Chris Squire)
2.1 Gimme the Loot!
2.2 Where It's At!
2.3 Play It Cool!
2.4 Pass the Vibes!
2.5 Enjoy Yourself!
2.6 Get Ur Freak On!
2.7 Crazy Man Crazy!
2.8 Don't Bring Me Down... Bruce! (Groos)
3.1 Lemme Know!
3.2 Surf's Up!
3.3 Yummy Yummy Yummy!
3.4 Don't Let Your Deal Go Down!
4.1 Tell Mama!
4.2 Drop It Like It's Hot!
Quarterfinals Keep the Car Running!
Semifinals Keep on the Sunny Side!
Finals Shine On Brightly!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Oh Henrik, how great is that?! Excellent, excellent, excellent.

My first thought was - "ooh, did I do any repeats?" Thankfully not!

You have almost every one correct -
"Let The Good Times Roll" could have been one of 3 songs (Louis Jordon, Harry Nilsson or The Cars), but Hendrix was not on my mind - after hearing that version though - whew! Just an all-out guitar onslought as only Jimi could do! Great stuff.

Also, "Play It Cool" - I love SFA, but actually stole that from one of your favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wugWGhItaQA
I know the song is "Cool" but took some liberties on a few of these (obviously) - didn't know anyone was paying attention!

Not much rhyme or reason to the method - some were just song titles that seemed relevant (a la "Listen To The Music"), others from albums I was listening to at the time, like "Cool" for the 1961 poll, or the magnificent "Shine On Brightly" this past week for the 1968 poll. Then there's some lyrics I liked, like "Fish fingers all in a line" - one of my favorites from a brilliant song (when nobody called that one out, I assumed no-one was watching!).

Oh, and "All About That Bass" I should credit to my 7 year-old daughter 'cause it was constantly overpowering my own collection for a while there...

Thank you Honorio - that made my day. I confess I'll be a little more self-conscious next time around though! :D
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

This is an ironic final match for me.

Stormcock, my #24 all time and the one of my nominations I most wanted to do well.

Vs Ultraviolence, an album I completely do not understand the appeal of and have voted against in every round.

Obviously, my vote is Stormcock. :)
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Brad wrote:Thank you Honorio - that made my day.
Thanks a lot, Brad, I'm glad you enjoyed it! So only two mistakes? That was much less than I expected!
DaveC
Never Going Back Again

Post by DaveC »

Roy Harper - Stormcock
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Quite a worthy winner no matter which it's gonna be.
I feel like that
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

For me Lana Del Rey deserve to win this final.

Even if I found this game not restrictive enough for the choices of the albums, I have found a lot of great albums this year.
Thanks to all the contributors.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Stormcock
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Now that I have heard both twice, my vote goes to Stormcock.
It is a bit strange that it isn't more acclaimed, it was released in the most acclaimed period, dabbles in a genre usually successful around here and most importantly features goddamn Jimmy Page on guitar ! I guess it will climb in stature on the coming years since it got some strong support from acclaimed act as Joanna Newsom or Fleet Foxes recently, and also because let's be honest, our forumers are often ahead of the critics !
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Stormcock is a wonderful album. Thank you, Jirin, for nominating it. The album now resides at #447 on my all-time list (#12 for 1971), and it certainly has the potential to move up over time. It is my favorite personal discovery of the tournament.

Ultraviolence, however, ranks #270 on my all-time list (#3 for 2014). I nominated this album for the 2014 MA draw last year. Like many (I suppose) I previously had next to zero interest in Lana Del Rey. I was pleasantly surprised by "West Coast" when it started showing up on the AMF Song charts last year and decided to give the full album a listen. I confess I was pretty much taken in, and became a LDR fan almost overnight.

I understand the criticisms - particularly the "one-dimensionality" of the songs and the sometimes cringe-worthy aspect of the lyrics. The former complaint doesn't affect me because I simply love the dimension the songs reside in. The subtly-shifting moods and alluring melodies ("cinematic" as Honorio termed it) are a perfect fit for a particular frame of mind I often find myself in. I'm willing to look past the occasional lyrical misstep because this album is far more about melody and feel to me. Someone somewhere called it an audial equivalent to David Lynch's "Mulholland Drive," a comparison I find very apt (to a film I love).

It also occurs to me that LDR sometimes gets reproached (outside of this forum) simply due to who she is or what she supposedly represents. I don't pay attention to that - I just like the music.

So after rather mediocre reviews upon the album's release, I chose it for the draw (at the time I made sure it was nowhere near the top of the Mega-Critic list - it gained major acclaim through the subsequent year-end lists. Had I foreseen this, I would have avoided the nomination altogether) thinking more forumers should give it a listen.

Needless to say, I had no idea it would perform this well, but I'm happy.

My vote goes to Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Great review, Brad! And as much as it pains me to vote for a man named Harper (a little Canadian humour), I will go with Stormcock.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I have skipped the last couple of rounds, but I have been watching and have been pleased with most the poll results.

I have grown to really enjoy Stormcock over the last couple of months, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with Ultraviolence.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

My vote is for Lana Del Rey - ULTRAVIOLENCE
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Give me all you got, Ultraviolence

So, these two albums have very little in common. And that's a good thing! I seem to have really underestimated Stormcock. It's an album in a genre I love, from a period I love and from the artist who made I Hate the White Man, a song I love. And still Stormcock hasn't clicked with me. Didn't have time to listen to it again this week, but I've hear it enough to know I prefer Ultraviolence.

Lana Del Rey is someone I loved from the first time I heard Video Games on the radio. Something about the sad but sexy melodrama of her music and the indeed cinematic sweep is just too much for me to resist. It's the closest music has ever come to the feeling of film noir, even moreso than the jazz soundtracks of these films. I can see why it would be a bit controversial to let Del Rey win this, but I think it is simply among the best albums in this game.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

My vote goes to Stormcock. With a title like this, it cannot not win :)
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Well, let's vote here. Stats for the final, RYM rating 3,94 against 3,19 (yes, the Lana del Rey album was one of the lowest ranked in RYM), 1970s vs. 2010s, Progressive Folk vs. Dream Pop, UK vs. USA, Jirin vs. Brad (although "Ultraviolence" was included here for being the winner of Moderately Acclaimed album of 2014 it was nominated on this previous game by Brad).

A very close call for me (as I told before both albums are exactly 80/100 in my rankings) and also for the Forum (with my vote I've broken a tie) despite being so different (as Rob just pointed out). Yes, they are different. They create atmospheres as different as the country and the city, as white and noir. But both albums share something, originality inside styles as populated as Folk or Pop. Lana del Rey follows a reverb-laden dreamlike-sound tradition that we can trace back until Elvis' echo-drenched "Blue Moon" with Lynch and Isaak's "Wicked Game" as intermediate step. But she manages to create a unique sound (at least not tied with her contamporaries) that fits her broken-doll stories. And Roy Harper, while basing his sound in the Folk tradition of acoustic guitars and voice does not sound traditional at all. Just listen to the mysterious harmonies on "The Same Old Rock" from 7:07 to 9:50 (especially from 8:41). Obviously Fleet Foxes have listened to this album a lot. The complex but fluid structures and the thought-provoking lyrics made the critics categorize this album as Progressive Folk.

Maybe only by a hair but my vote goes to Roy Harper - Stormcock

Favourite song from every album: The Same Old Rock and West Coast

Many thanks for all, Brad!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Honorio wrote:Many thanks for all, Brad!
Shoot, this is my pleasure... love this game!

24 hours left to vote guys! This is a tight one - let's get it right! Vote for your favorite!
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I went around and around with this one. I really like both, and I feel (objectively) that "Stormcock" is the better album. However, (subjectively) I enjoy "Ultraviolence" slightly more. Since loving music should be more about subjectivity than objectivity, and since "West Coast" is close to one of my top 100 songs of all time, I'll (reluctantly) go with Lana here. Honorio broke the tie and now (if his calculations and mine are correct) we're tied again!

phil
Unquestionable Presence

Post by phil »

The main thing about this game for me is the discoveries along the way. So as the game finishes, I thought I'd recount my favourite discoveries of the game. Thanks to all the nominators of these albums:
1. Spiro - Lightbox
2. Roy Harper - Stormcock
3. Can - Soon Over Babaluma
4. Sixteen Horsepower - Sackcloth ’n’ Ashes
5. Klaus Schulze - Timewind

I enjoy both of the albums in the final, but for me there is a clear winner: My vote has to go with Roy Harper - Stormcock.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

Well, Stormcock is clearly quite the achievement. It sounds pretty far out there given the folk music of the time. I really enjoyed it. I didn't pick up much as far as the lyrics go, but that's because I was so enthralled by the instrumentation. I think I'd say "Me and My Woman" was the best track, but all four were pretty damn good. Unfortunately for Roy Harper, Lana Del Rey's album dabbles in dream pop and I love anything associated with that genre. Ultraviolence was a gigantic leap forward for her in my opinion. I thought the highs were higher on Born to Die, but it was so painfully uneven (a handful of the tracks are nigh unlistenable for me). This record seemed more focused sonically and more mature lyrically. It really does have its own distinct atmosphere and "Cruel World" and "Ultraviolence" are among the greatest tracks to open a record in my opinion.

My pick goes to Lana Del Rey's Ultraviolence.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

What a matchup! I usually come into the final round of this tournament knowing who I'm going to vote for, but this year it's really tough to decide. After re-listening to both albums, I'm going to have to go with Ultraviolence. I like the comparison somebody earlier drew to an aural version of film noir - Ultraviolence is an album for me that paints a fascinating femme fatale character, both musically and lyrically. Lana Del Rey is clearly playing a character on this album, but that's part of the fun - songs like "Money, Power, Glory" and "I Fucked My Way Up To The Top" are both tongue-in-cheek and sung with complete (and catchy) sincerity. Dan Auerbach is also the perfect producer for Lana Del Rey; I think part of the reason why Ultraviolence clicked for me, while both Born to Die and Honeymoon feel somewhat lacking, is his production.

My favorite discoveries from this tournament, in no particular order:
-16 Horsepower - Sackcloth 'n' Ashes
-Style Council - Our Favourite Shop
-CunninLynguists - Oneirology
-Taj Mahal Travellers - July 15, 1972
-Roy Harper - Stormcock (yes, it doesn't get my vote at the end, but it's still one of my favorite finds this year - that's how strong the final bracket is!)
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

My vote goes to Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence.

Roy Harper is an interesting discovery. It's folk rock with poetic lyrics. I think some anti-Vietnam protest too. "Me and My Woman" seems the best track.

However Lana Del Rey is one of my favorite recent artists. She combines dark, depressed, death-obsessed feelings with sensuality. This album fuses electronic, electric and acoustic sounds. My favorite track is Shades of Cool.
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Moderately Acclaimed Album 6 CHAMPION 2015:

defeats Roy Harper - Stormcock 11-9

Past Winners:
2010: Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
2011: The Cure - Seventeen Seconds
2012: Fela Kuti and Afrika 70 - Zombie
2013: Jacques Brel - Jacques Brel - Olympia 1964
2014: Jacques Brel [Ces gens-là]

Thanks to everyone who nominated, voted or otherwise participated in this year's event!

Details soon to come on Moderately Acclaimed Albums 7... just around the corner!
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Fantastic! I didn't vote for Lana on the final but I'm glad she won. Congratulations Brad, you did an excellent job as a host.
One final stat about the participation: a total of 32 voters participated on the game with different degrees of involvement. Brad, DaveC, Rob and I were the ones that voted on (almost) every match-up. The mean of voters per week was 15,73 with a range between 12 and 20 voters (the highest peak came at the Final). The mean of voters voting on every match-up per week was 9,79, both numbers only met at the Final!

DaveC
Never Going Back Again

Post by DaveC »

Thanks Brad!

I didn't keep track of my discoveries this competition, but 16 Horsepower, CunninLynguists, Richard Buckner, Cowboy Junkies and "Living Room songs" spring to mind.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Thanks, Brad! I really appreciate all the work you put into this game every year.

And thanks to Honorio, as well, for all the statistics, comments and other contributions. I've said many times before that I don't know how you find the time to contribute all you do to the forum, but I'm forever thankful for it.

Finally, thanks to all the nominators. I made so many great discoveries (as always). Already looking forward to MA 7!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I wish I could see what other people see in Lana Del Rey. It all seems like emotionally forced and insincere rambling with useless echo effect and a sameish vibe to me.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

And the table flipping commences...

But anyway, great tournament as usual, and I was happy to discover Olafur, Taj Mahal, and Spiro especially. I listened to 16 Horsepower on my own, and didn't even realize they were nominated until the Round of 32, but I guess you could count them among the discoveries.

Even though I completely blanked, if you recall, I have an idea of how to play the game, so next year I will come prepared.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

First winner in the history of this competition that's also on my all-time list! Image

Thanks for the work Brad!
Jirin wrote:I wish I could see what other people see in Lana Del Rey. It all seems like emotionally forced and insincere rambling with useless echo effect and a sameish vibe to me.
To me it doesn't sound like emotionally forced and insincere. The songs do have kind of the same sound though, but I like that sound.
I feel like that
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

My reaction comes rather late, but I still want to add my two cents. I really liked playing this game. I was glad to see some of my nominations performing really well, but was even more happy with the many great albums I discovered. My top 10 favorite albums I didn't hear before are:

1. Sleater-Kinney – The Woods (pretty much a top 10 album for me now)
2. Dan Bern – Dan Bern
3. Brian Eno – Discreet Music
4. CunninLynguists - Oneirology
5. Fimber Bravo – Con-Fusion
6. Genesis – Selling England by the Pound
7. The Drive By Truckers – Brighter Than Creation’s Dark
8. Ólafur Arnalds – Living Room Songs
9. Sufjan Steven – Age of Adz
10. Cowboy Junkies – The Trinity Sessions

The first two didn't make it past round one sadly. Note though, that this is only the tip of the iceberg. I really like the winner, though I can understand it being a controversial one.

Thanks Brad for setting this up and thanks everyone for nominating!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”