AM Top 100 songs sorted by number of Spotify streams

Henrik
Site Admin

AM Top 100 songs sorted by number of Spotify streams

Post by Henrik »

I thought it would be interesting to sort the songs in the AM all-time top 100 by the number of Spotify streams. I wonder if this is any indication of where the AM list is going?

I will try to repeat this every year. Will the songs from this millennium always take the top spots if I count the number of new streams every year? Or will they drop over time, and gradually be seen as old too?

Factual notes:
* Three songs could not be ranked as they are not currently among Spotify's top 10 most popular songs by the artist ("99 Problems", "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Heartbreak Hotel").
* For a lot of songs the number of streams are split between different versions. I didn't combine these unless they were quite evenly split.
* Some songs would be higher if they had been on Spotify since its beginning ("Stairway to Heaven", "Whole Lotta Love", "Imagine", "Hotel California")

Surprising notes:
* In several cases the most acclaimed song by an artist is not nearly the most streamed one. For example "Light My Fire" is the 4th most streamed Doors song, "Crazy in Love" is the 5th most streamed Beyoncé song, "What'd I Say" is the 7th most streamed Ray Charles song and "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" is the 8th most streamed James Brown song!
* The order of the '90s songs surprise me most. I thought U2's "One" would be much nearer the top. A lot of people seems to be surprised that "Unfinished Sympathy" is in the AM top 100, but it has almost as many streams as "Common People" and "Paranoid Android"!
* The Rolling Stones' songs are higher than I expected. I thought they were more respected than popular these days.
* Hip Hop is everywhere nowadays but only a few people still listen to "The Message".

Here is the list:

Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Re: AM Top 100 songs sorted by number of Spotify streams

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

You can still find the number of streams for a particular song by rolling over the popularity meters.

99 Problems: 53,218,023
Jumpin' Jack Flash: 12,935,082
Heartbreak Hotel: 9,520,220
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

GucciLittlePiggy wrote:You can still find the number of streams for a particular song by rolling over the popularity meters.

99 Problems: 53,218,023
Jumpin' Jack Flash: 12,935,082
Heartbreak Hotel: 9,520,220
I was totally unaware of this. Thanks a lot!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Henrik wrote:Surprising notes:
* In several cases the most acclaimed song by an artist is not nearly the most streamed one. For example "Light My Fire" is the 4th most streamed Doors song, "Crazy in Love" is the 5th most streamed Beyoncé song, "What'd I Say" is the 7th most streamed Ray Charles song and "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" is the 8th most streamed James Brown song!
I guess for some people, especially newcomers, the feeling is the opposite, must be surprising to see Papa's Got a Brand New Bag ranked higher than I Got You (I Feel Good) or Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine which are songs you hear (I think) more often (would be interesting to have a look at radio rotations). I would have guess PGaBNB would rank between 3rd and 5th though, surprised something else than It's a Man's Man's Man's World and Living in America is ahead of it.
For Beyoncé I guess songs that have been released while Spotify already existed get a big boost. In the long long run I'm pretty sure Crazy In Love will take 1st place.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”