Unfinished acclaim - a new album tracks poll?

Henrik
Site Admin

Unfinished acclaim - a new album tracks poll?

Post by Henrik »

We have the polls for Moderately Acclaimed Albums and Unacclaimed Songs, but how about a poll for tracks from albums on AM that aren't listed among the AM songs? Just an idea. It could be quite interesting and unpredictable.

Eligible songs would be for example all songs except "Enjoy the Silence" and "Policy of Truth" from Depeche Mode's "Violator".
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: Unfinished acclaim - a new album tracks poll?

Post by BleuPanda »

That could be interesting, essentially finding the best non-singles off great albums.

Though I'm also waiting for a moderately acclaimed equivalent with songs. How many of us have really explored the lower half of this list?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Henrik wrote:Eligible songs would be for example all songs except "Enjoy the Silence" and "Policy of Truth" from Depeche Mode's "Violator".
I think you may have missed one there ...
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Should there be any restrictions? Some of these songs placed well on the songs poll (like "Home Is Where the Hatred Is") and feel there could be an unfair advantage from the start.

I'd say we should have a "one per artist" limit at the very least.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

I like the idea, but would suggest somehow encouraging choices that are more obscure. I feel the intent of these polls should be to enlighten, not to "win." When I see a song or album entered that everyone already knows, it doesn't do a whole lot to increase my exposure to great music.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

It's a good idear Henrik... but I would prefer a really unacclaimed album game with album or song by artist NOT in AM !
It's somewhat already the case for some songs or albums in each (moderaly or unnaclaimed) games.

P.S. : oh, just before posting, I see Brad say almost the same thing.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Harold wrote:
Henrik wrote:Eligible songs would be for example all songs except "Enjoy the Silence" and "Policy of Truth" from Depeche Mode's "Violator".
I think you may have missed one there ...
Yes, of course, "Personal Jesus" too. I totally forgot this song and actually first thought you erroneously meant "World in My Eyes", which bugs me that it's not on AM. A good example of a song that perhaps is too wellknown for this kind of poll.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

I think this is a good idea, as I had been thinking about this very poll recently. It could shine a light on the gems that get lost beneath the classics. If I could find the time I'd participate.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
phil
Unquestionable Presence

Post by phil »

I had thought about suggesting something like this earlier in the year. I agree as much as possible it would be best to steer away from already known choices (and instead steer towards album tracks that are the most overlooked or underrated vs. the singles/well-known songs on the album).

Perhaps an addition to the rules above would be that the song could not have been released as a single (nor on the AM songs list). This would reduce the chance of getting some of the well known songs - in fact 'Personal Jesus' and 'World In My Eyes' would both be ineligible under this additional rule.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

This would be a great same...so many good options...
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Maybe use a different title, though? Too many use acclaim, and I'm not sure this title makes it obvious what it's about.

Perhaps "Best of the B-Sides," something to that effect?
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

I'm definitely looking forward to it.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

So if we went through with this idea, would we allow the song to be from any album that's listed on AM, just albums that are ranked in the top 3000, or limit it to the highest ranked albums, like the top 500 or so? Personally, I prefer the last option; that way we are basically picking the best unacclaimed tracks from classic albums. It would be distinctly different from the Unacclaimed game in that it would be based around familiar artists and familiar albums. However, I would totally be happy having either of the other two options.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

GucciLittlePiggy wrote:So if we went through with this idea, would we allow the song to be from any album that's listed on AM, just albums that are ranked in the top 3000, or limit it to the highest ranked albums, like the top 500 or so? Personally, I prefer the last option; that way we are basically picking the best unacclaimed tracks from classic albums. It would be distinctly different from the Unacclaimed game in that it would be based around familiar artists and familiar albums.
I disagree with this. My main interest in this game is filling in a hole that the original unacclaimed leaves empty, namely songs that are still unacclaimed, but come from acclaimed albums. The lower we get in the list the less well-known the albums in general are and they contain many gems that simply don't get attention here and can't profit from the boost Unacclaimed gives. That's why I would like to have this poll encompass the complete top 3000 and perhaps also the bubblers.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

I would not be opposed to this tournament.

Maybe we could even compromise it with BleuPanda's idea of a songs equivalent of Moderately.

I have long been contemplating substitutes for Unacclaimed. Those ideas would certainly reveal hidden gems.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”