6000 Songs: Inspiral Carpets - This Is How It Feels

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

6000 Songs: Inspiral Carpets - This Is How It Feels

Post by Rob »

This topic is part of the weekly 6000 songs, 6000 opinions. In this, every week another song from the Acclaimed Music song top 6000 is selected for discussion. The song is chosen completely at random, through random.org, making the selections hopefully very varied. The only other rule in this is that after an artist has had a turn, he can’t appear for another ten weeks. The idea for this topic came to me because I wanted to think of a way to engage more actively with the very large top 6000 songs that Henrik has compiled for us, while still keeping it accessible and free of any game elements. Yes, that’s right, no game elements. You are free to rate the song each week, but I’ll do nothing with this rating. I want it to be about people’s personal reviews and hopefully discussions. So in reverse to other topics on this site I say: “Please comment on this song, rating is optional”.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She can’t say, they can’t see/ Putting it down to another bad day

Inspiral Carpets – This Is How It Feels

The facts:
Year: 1990.
Genre: Madchester.
From the album: Life.
Acclaimed Music ranking: #2876.
Song ranking on Acclaimed Music in the artist’s discography: 1st (the only one).
Ranks higher than Lost Someone by James Brown, but lower than Kelly Watch the Stars by Air.
Place in the Acclaimed Music Song Poll 2015: unranked.

The people:
Written by Clint Boon.
Produced by Inspiral Carpets & Nick Garside.
Lead vocals by Tom Hingley.
Background vocals by Clint Boon.
Guitar by Graham Lambert.
Drums by Craig Hill.
Bass by Martyn Walsh.
Keyboard by Clint Bon.

The opinion:
This one goes out to all the British people out there, because this week we are covering a song from the Madchester movement. The music from this period changed the history of music according to some people (read: the British music press), while the rest of the world (read: really the rest of the world) didn’t care at all. Chances are: if you are not from Britain and grew up around the late 80’s or early 90’s you probably don’t know Inspiral Carpets.

They were quite big in Britain for a year of two or three. Though they lacked that one big hit they charted with quite a few songs there. Although This Is How It Feels was not their highest charting single (that would be Dragging Me Down), it is their most fondly remembered one. Despite the hits and critical acclaim their names never became as well-known abroad as Happy Mondays or The Stone Roses (and well-known is really a relative term here) or quite as synonymous with the Madchester movement as these founding bands. That they don’t have any other song or any album at all ranking on Acclaimed Music perhaps speaks volumes.

I’m being a bit sardonic about all this, mainly because scenes in music tend to be a bit overhyped. Though perhaps if you were from Manchester in that period of time the music of Inspiral Carpets and their contemporaries were really something else. What matters now mostly is how the music holds up. Actually, the parent album of This Is How It Feels, titles Life, is pretty good and I’m surprised it has no mention on AM. It is perhaps no real masterpiece, but it is a well-played album that’s free of filler and has some great rock tunes. It is not hard to see how Inspiral Carpets made a name for themselves. I added a few tracks from the album to the playlist below.

Having said that, I’m not sure I would have picked This Is How It Feels as the stand-out track. It’s a good song, but just lacks something to be truly memorable. There are two things that draw attention: the bleak lyrics and the organ (actually a keyboard, but everyone still calls it an organ, so there). That sounds like a great combination, doesn’t it? The problem might very well be that they don’t really combine.

About those lyrics, it is all about loneliness. You can compare it somewhat with Ralph McTell’s Streets of London in that way, with various sketches of lonely lives. The first part tells of a neglected, maybe abused mother that can’t show her feelings. These lines are actually quite stirring. In a few sentences the band paints a picture of a hollow, desperate existence. After the first chorus we get a verse about a rich man that killed himself. This verse is less good. It’s a bit weird to say that you know how it feels to be lonely based on a news report of someone who killed himself. It’s even weirder to keep the line “This is how it feels if your word means nothing at all” intact, because how likely is that the problem of an apparently powerful man? These part of the lyrics lack the poetic power of the first verse, or of the more detailed portrait of the similarly themed Richard Corey by Simon & Garfunkel, who use an outsider position in an interesting way (see the playlist).

What this all lacks is despair in the musical department. Tom Hingley sings fine in a distinctly British way, but he doesn’t sound particularly shaken by what happens to his subjects. Neither do the musicians. They craft a memorable tune, but it sounds more pleasant than anything else. There isn’t much emotion in it, as if the band had a certain distance to the material. Don’t expect the organ to be used in a similar way as The Animals did in House of the Rising Sun, which added a haunting part to the song. The organ is still the most notable instrument on This Is How It Feels, but is very pleasing to the ears. Clint Boon plays it beautifully, but it doesn’t elevate the material all that much. Perhaps if the song would have sounded as bleak as the lyrics it couldn’t have been a hit. The band wasn’t against compromising for the charts. The lines about the body of the rich man being found under a train were replaced for single release with a more oblique line about him leaving a note for a local girl. That version I put at the end of the playlist for reference.
I don’t know how well-known this band is among the members of Acclaimed Music, but I think this is a meagre introduction. Don’t get me wrong, I like the song, but I won’t be returning much to it, I suspect. These guys have better material.
6/10

Other versions:
I found only two covers of this song. The first is by Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine (how is that for an artist name!). It came rather soon after the original. Carter made it into a driving hard rock song. It’s no masterpiece, but it can hold its own next to the version by the Inspiral Carpets. Less successful to me is the wacky variation by Nigel of Bermondsey. I’m not sure I understand his intentions, but his musical approach sounds too goofy for the lyrics. Here is waiting until a band like, say, The National covers the song

The Playlist:
Last edited by Rob on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Re: 6000 Songs, 6000 Opinions: Song 2876, Opinion 8

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

Thanks for the great review, Rob! I haven't been commenting on the songs over the weeks, but I always take time to read your reviews.

This song is about as middle-of-the-road as you can get. The verses are decent but the chorus annoys me. It seems like the band were trying to turn into a single something that did not deserve to be a single. It kind of reminds me of the bland tunes of Oasis' later days. Also, the lyrical theme is a pretty common one and they don't add much to make it unique. I enjoy most of the tracks in AM's top 3000, but this is one of the rare songs I don't care for much.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Finally a song that matches my personal tastes... I clearly remember Inspiral Carpets. Their claim to fame at the time was their outrageous "bowl" haircuts (check them out...) and the fact that Noel Gallagher was one of their roadies before his personal success with Oasis.

They used to fit quite well in the "baggy" style of Madchester - their farfisa being their most distinctive element and one that was probably the most prominent amongst the rest of the Madchester clique. The songs had a certain quality and I agree with Rob that Dragging Me Down has far more appeal than this song.

Passing time, however, did not do the Carpets many favours - they disappeared off the media radar fairly quickly after a couple of good albums, well received by the critics. But they never had what it took to be a classic Manchester act and Happy Mondays, the Charlatans and the Stone Roses swiftly took the lead.

Still, if you were in your late teens/early twenties at the time, good memories :)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

The only things stopping this from being just "a song by a buncha Mancs" are the inclusion of an organ and "this is how it feels when your world means nothing at all" being a somewhat memorable catch phrase. Still, I can't help but shake the feeling that it's just wannabe Smiths lyrics matched to wannabe Doors riffs.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

I've been really busy this week so I wasn't able to write my normal review. So I'll just have to cut to the chase.
-The organ or whatever is played is nice but it doesn't really match the mood of the song.
-The chorus also didn't match the mood of the song ether.
-The lyrics are good. Apparently there are two different versions of this song. There is one without the lyrics of the man committing suicide.
- The song is catchy enough to listen to multiple times but it's mood doesn't match the singing and instrumentals.
5/10
There is No More Firmament.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

I liked some of the aspects of the song, including the percussion, and the instrumentation during the chorus was fine, but at times, the instrumentation seemed to go off in rather cheesy directions. The vocals were good during the verses, but not during the chorus. At this point, I have come to despise backing vocals when used in the same generic way, and this song is no exception.

Also, the song felt to short, and undeveloped.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”