Any interest in a bimonthly individual artist poll?

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Any interest in a bimonthly individual artist poll?

Post by BleuPanda »

Say, for example, we do a big poll of all The Beatles albums and songs. I'm not sure how we'd do it and what limits (it would probably change for each artist depending on the size of their discography), but would there be any interest?

Bimonthly here meaning every other month; one month for list submissions and the next month for results.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Re: Any interest in a bimonthly individual artist poll?

Post by Nassim »

I think it would be fun, besteveralbums do that regularly. I'd say if we talk albums, we should rank all of them and do something akin to what we do for the decade polls were unranked albums get the average score, not to favor albums everybody has heard.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Nassim wrote:I think it would be fun, besteveralbums do that regularly. I'd say if we talk albums, we should rank all of them and do something akin to what we do for the decade polls were unranked albums get the average score, not to favor albums everybody has heard.

That's definitely what I want to do. Songs become a problem, because who wants to rank every song ever recorded by The Rolling Stones? Though that could create an issue where classic albums end up at the end of the list while mediocre albums simply end up in the middle due to our lack of interest; perhaps we should also decide what periods should be covered by legacy acts between results and the next submission. Otherwise, we could also just expect everyone to listen to every album as part of the project.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

An album poll would be fun, but I'm a little doubtful about a songs poll. It is more likely we would end up with rankings quite similar to those on AM for quite a few artists.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

But the point would also be to see where the other songs rank; and with smaller acts, we could reasonably do an entire retrospective.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I was thinking the exact same thing today! Great minds Bleu, great minds.

Maybe we could take out all of the songs that are already listed on AM? Or artists with a bunch of songs on AM. Do we really need to do a Beatles ranking with the same set of songs at the top?
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Definitely interested, especially in the albums part.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I'm interested, but I have far more time for songs than albums, so I would like to see a song poll too. Does it have to be every song. Can't we all hand out a top 10 or even top 25, or is that missing the point?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I think we could probably do a top list, since we can assume our lack of interest in engaging with certain periods of an artist's work is more informed than, say, a lack of familiarity with albums in the decade polls. I might simply have a no cap limit; list however many you feel deserve to be mentioned. We will still likely end up with everything ranked in that way as long as there are a couple superfans for each artist.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”