[Discussion] The Best Songs of the 1960s

DaveC
Running Up That Hill

[Discussion] The Best Songs of the 1960s

Post by DaveC »

This thread is for speculation/analysis/rollout format feedback etc.

So hopefully we can keep the results thread free of spoilers or interesting discussions that don't really belong in that thread.

So will the #1 song be 'Like A Rolling Stone', 'A Day in the Life', 'Gimme Shelter' or something else?

What will be the highest ranked song that is Unranked on AM: With 12 lists tallied, there are unranked songs at #56 & #67.

What will be #150: With 12 lists tallied, that is not an Unranked song.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Re: [Discussion] The Best Songs of the 1960s

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

I'm sure "Love Me Do" is right down at the bottom. A song I'm guessing most here have heard, and clearly a cut below the numerous other Beatles songs that made it.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

The format of the rollout will be:

AM rank :
AM 1960s rank :
AMF 2015 All-time poll 1960s rank :
AMF 2011 1960s poll rank :
Position in 196Y poll :

Fans: OR Highest rank:
Not Fans: OR Lowest rank:

Comments: All comments will be published.

----------------------------------------------------------------
AMF 2015 All-time poll 1960s rank: 1-220 or n/a
So I filtered our All-time song poll results for the 1960s. More than 220 60's songs were mentioned, but it was hard to go past that rank, so I stopped there. We do have 36 songs in our decade poll that were not in the top 220 60s songs from the all-time list, but they are all from the early 60s.

AMF 2011 1960s poll rank: 1-100 or n/a
There were only 100 songs in that decade poll.

Rob raised the question of whether we start the rollout from #150 or from #100 with #150-#101 being presented later. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

The highest unranked songs are probably French, because that's always what happens. As for the lowest, it's probably going to be from 1960 or 1961, since those years were so barren.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Listyguy wrote:The highest unranked songs are probably French, because that's always what happens. As for the lowest, it's probably going to be from 1960 or 1961, since those years were so barren.
Your logic about the highest unranked song makes sense to me. How about one of the Jacques Brel songs: Les Paumés du petit matin or Vesoul?
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

A few guesses:

Highest rank: Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
I just don't expect a big surprise here.

Lowest rank: Walk - Don't Run - The Ventures
Does anyone LOVE this song? I have a hard time picturing this high on someone's list.

Highest AM unranked song: Vesoul - Jacques Brel
I agree it is most likely Brel.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

With 22 ballots counted, there is a songs in our decade top 10 that didn't even make the top 10 for it's year!
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Hi, and very sorry I missed this poll. I just realized that for the past 8 years, I've been submitting lists every month, covering almost twice the whole history of 20th century music !! But it's time for me to slow down a bit. I'll try to take part in the 1900-1960 poll because I love music from that time.
The most surprising is to realize that when I miss a poll, nothing happens :P the sky isn't falling on my head !!
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

nicolas wrote:The most surprising is to realize that when I miss a poll, nothing happens :P the sky isn't falling on my head !!
Hahaha that will be a relief for me as well. I did vote every month last year, all the way from '60 to '69, but unfortunately had no time at all for the final 60's round poll.

For spot #1, I also assume the obvious and would guess "Like a Rolling Stone".
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

nicolas wrote: I'll try to take part in the 1900-1960 poll because I love music from that time.
Is this happening?!
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Songs that appeared on our Top 100 of the 1960s on the Poll we did on 2010 that now are out of the Top 150 (the number is the position in the final list):
20. Creedence Clearwater Revival | Fortunate Son (1969)
22. The Jackson 5 | I Want You Back (1969)
26. The Beatles | Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End (1969)
28. The Velvet Underground & Nico | Heroin (1967)
29. The Miracles | The Tracks of My Tears (1965)
32. Four Tops | Reach Out I'll Be There (1966)
51. The Beatles | For No One (1966)
62. Led Zeppelin | Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (1969)
63. Bob Dylan | Mr. Tambourine Man (1965)
74. Pharoah Sanders | The Creator Has a Masterplan (1969)
83. The Beatles | Please Please Me (1963)
89. Johnny Kidd & the Pirates | Shakin' All Over (1960)
91. The Beach Boys | In My Room (1963)
92. Rev. Gary Davis | Death Don't Have No Mercy (1961)
95. Elvis Presley | Return to Sender (1962)
98. The Crystals | He's a Rebel (1962)
99. Gene Chandler | Duke of Earl (1962)

5 of these song ended on the Top 20, 2 of them on the Top 25

And these are the songs from the 1960s on MY all-time Top 250 that are not on our Top 150:
12. THE ROLLING STONES “Let’s Spend the Night Together” (1967).
21. THE BYRDS “My Back Pages” (1967)
25. THE BEATLES “Nowhere Man” (1965)
29. THE BAND “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” (1969)
32. FRANK SINATRA & COUNT BASIE “Fly Me to the Moon” (1964)
40. THE SUPREMES “Baby Love” (1964)
65. BOB DYLAN “Just Like a Woman” (1966)
69. THE ROLLING STONES “Honky Tonk Women” (1969)
80. HERBIE HANCOCK “Cantaloupe Island” (1964)
105. IKE & TINA TURNER “River Deep, Mountain High” (1966)
143. THE WHO “I Can See for Miles” (1967)
144. THE LEFT BANKE “Walk Away Renee” (1966)
145. STEPPENWOLF “Born to Be Wild” (1968)
166. THE CHIFFONS “One Fine Day” (1963)
180. DONOVAN “Hurdy Gurdy Man” (1968)
181. THE BEATLES “Helter Skelter” (1968)
217. MARLENE DIETRICH “Sag’ mir, wo die Blumen sind” (1962)
223. FRANKIE VALLI “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You” (1967)
226. THE ASSOCIATION “Never My Love” (1967)
227. BOB DYLAN “The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll” (1964)
229. JAMES BROWN “I Got You (I Feel Good)” (1965)
245. FRANÇOISE HARDY “Tous les garçons et les filles” (1962)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Hi Nicolas and Andre!

I slowed down quite a bit with the polls last year myself, so I fully understand you. But when I looked at the end of the list, I saw "Help Me" and thought "where is nicolas?" and then saw "These Arms if Mine" and thought "where is Andre"? So yes, something is definitely missing, but don't you worry about it.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henrik wrote:Hi Nicolas and Andre!

I slowed down quite a bit with the polls last year myself, so I fully understand you. But when I looked at the end of the list, I saw "Help Me" and thought "where is nicolas?" and then saw "These Arms if Mine" and thought "where is Andre"? So yes, something is definitely missing, but don't you worry about it.
As much as it hurts to not help my favorite albums, I have however decided to not vote in the albums poll. I don't have the time to listen, but my interest in albums has also decreased rapidly over the last years. It's all about playlists of songs for me now. I must say that I'm a bit surprised by how dear albums still are to critics and you AM forumers in these streaming days.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Yes the biggest fans of "Help Me" and "These arms of mine" didn't submit ballots. I'm a bit disappointed that those two classic songs ended up at the bottom of the list. On a more positive note, my fear that jazz would all fall to the bottom of the list hasn't been realised.

The early 60s do dominate the bottom of the list but I'm happy that we don't just allow the music from these years to be rendered invisible by letting the decade poll be dominated by the later years.

Loving these comments from Rob. Others have commented on their favourite songs, but only Rob has expressed his views about nearly every song.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Some early notes:

- Never though I would be the biggest fan of I Can't Stop Loving You.
- Now Help Me is #150 I feel especially guilty for not getting the blues.
- Come on people, Sam Cooke was a major talent.
- Honorio is a happy man. Almost all the songs that rank him as not-a-fan have already passed. He did loose the Brel song, of which he was a fan though, but I guess that is a worthy compromise.
- Telstar under Walk - Don't Run, really? Telstar strikes me as far more unique and simply as better.
Henrik wrote: As much as it hurts to not help my favorite albums, I have however decided to not vote in the albums poll. I don't have the time to listen, but my interest in albums has also decreased rapidly over the last years. It's all about playlists of songs for me now. I must say that I'm a bit surprised by how dear albums still are to critics and you AM forumers in these streaming days.
I don't listen to albums as much as I would like and far more to songs, but still I think the album experience remains essential. When an album is good I think the songs get extra power for being part of a whole. A great playlist can achieve that to some lengths, but if the songs are made to be played together (as on an album) it can be part of a sustained mood or a specific experience. When it clicks, it is magic. I only discovered albums in the streaming era, actually and don't feel like abandoning them, even if I can never participate in album polls.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Brad wrote:
nicolas wrote: I'll try to take part in the 1900-1960 poll because I love music from that time.
Is this happening?!
What form would this take? I fear a relatively low level of support, so maybe this should be run in a different way from the decade polls....

Also would this be songs only?
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

We did this five years ago and Honorio tracked it. Yes, turnout was lower than for the other decade polls, but it was thoroughly enjoyable for the fervent forumers who took the time to participate. And the results were (imo) outstanding (rumour has it Levon Helm saw the list and gave it a solid thumbs up!).

I believe we did 1900-1950 in one month, then chopped the 50's into three or four segments before commencing into the '60's in the same year. Albums didn't come into play much until the later years. Someone (I'm sure) will correct me if I'm mistaken about the layout.

Anyhow, I really hope someone (no pressure Honorio [hint]) can run this in 2016!
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Rob wrote:Honorio is a happy man. Almost all the songs that rank him as not-a-fan have already passed. He did loose the Brel song, of which he was a fan though, but I guess that is a worthy compromise.
Mmm, not really, in fact I like quite a lot of these songs (and I was quite ashamed when I saw my name as "hater" of "Giant Steps," I'll be more careful with my last 15 votes on the album's list) but the competition was hard. And I'm not happy at all to see Brel's "Les paumés du petit matin" ranking so low, it saddened me seeing so many last positions for a song so brilliant (in my opinion, and now I see that only in my opinion). If Romain or nicolas (or any other French AMer) would have participated in the final voting maybe "Les paumés du petit matin" or "Ces gens-là" would have ended higher. Even I expect a better performance of "Amsterdam" and "Vesoul" on the songs poll, I'm afraid that most of the many French albums are going to end at the bottom on the album poll.
Brad wrote:We did this five years ago and Honorio tracked it. Yes, turnout was lower than for the other decade polls, but it was thoroughly enjoyable for the fervent forumers who took the time to participate. And the results were (imo) outstanding (rumour has it Levon Helm saw the list and gave it a solid thumbs up!).

I believe we did 1900-1950 in one month, then chopped the 50's into three or four segments before commencing into the '60's in the same year. Albums didn't come into play much until the later years. Someone (I'm sure) will correct me if I'm mistaken about the layout.

Anyhow, I really hope someone (no pressure Honorio [hint]) can run this in 2016!
Yes, Brad, you remembered it well. It was a fantastic poll and I'm absolutely proud of having hosted it. The participation was quite low, only 7 AMers participated all the way through, the ones I affectionately named The Maginificent Seven. Anyway now the participation is not being much higher, I find quite disappointing that only 21 people voted on the 1960s Songs Poll, five years ago when there was less people participating in the Forum we had 20 voters.
By the way, the ones that voted then but not now were (in alphabetical order): Chris, Georgie, Gillingham, Jackson, John, Mindrocker, Nicolas, nj, Rocky Raccoon, Romain and Stephan. The ones voting on both polls are Brad, Charlie Driggs, Harold, Henrik, Henry, Honorio, Listyguy, Miguel and sonofsamiam.
The link to this thread on the Old Acclaimed Music Forum: http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 3&cmd=show (sadly many of the pictures can' be seen right now, if some day I find time I'll post it on the new forum).
And you remembered it well another thing, Levon Helm and Donald Fagen also enjoyed our poll! The same friend of mine I talked about some days ago (the one that knew David Bowie) showed them the web page at a dinner in Fagen's home. At the time Helm and Fagen were touring together, they (and other musicians) looked at the list on Fagen's computer after the dinner and made highly favourable comments about our choices on the 1900-1949 Poll. And I know that Fagen returned later to the list and read it carefully. He told my friend later that he was slightly afraid about the music geeks like us! :mrgreen:
By the way, another music star that had visited Acclaimed Music Forum thanks to my friend is Thom Yorke (he liked our Foreign Music Poll and a thread I wrote about World Music musicians, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=193, another thread where every image has disappeared).
About hosting a new poll I'm afraid I can't do it. In fact probably my participation in the Forum is going to decrease a lot from March, I'm going to increase my work on the afternoons in a new clinic and my spare time is going to be limited to weekends only. I'm going to miss you boys. A lot.
phil
Unquestionable Presence

Post by phil »

I would have liked to participate. For some reason I had the submission date 1 day off. So I was all ready to send the ballot back and saw the correct date for submissions. My mistake. I found a good number of new songs (for me) in the 150 so was not for nothing.

Enjoying the rollout - Dave C, you are doing a fantastic job.
DaveC wrote:With 22 ballots counted, there is a songs in our decade top 10 that didn't even make the top 10 for it's year!
Has to be Miserlou - Dick Dale. I think part of the reason is that its acclaim has only really happened since its inclusion in Pulp Fiction.
Last edited by phil on Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

I couldn't participate in the year polls because I barely know the early years, and the rest would just be a bunch of Beatles songs with other stuff mixed in. Well, i guess I could have done that, but I wasn't up to it. We've got enough Beatles already.

My lame justification for not participating in the final is because there are quite a few songs that I don't care enough about to rank, and then I'd be listed as "not a fan" for songs that I quite like.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Honorio wrote:In fact probably my participation in the Forum is going to decrease a lot from March, I'm going to increase my work on the afternoons in a new clinic and my spare time is going to be limited to weekends only. I'm going to miss you boys. A lot.

Honorio, while I was halfheartedly hinting for you to take on the poll, I fully understand the demands of our lives off the boards and wish you all the best in your work.

You have been an incredible source of knowledge and stability since I stumbled upon this site several years back, and I hope we will still (if only occasionally) get those tremendous bursts of writing that seem to spring from nowhere yet yield such inspired thought for discussion.

I'm so glad you posted the link to the thread I referred to earlier. I realize it's been some time since I've heard many of the songs on that 500-strong list and now is a great time to re-visit them, whether the poll happens or not. And being called a music geek by Donald Fagen is certainly something to brag about!
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Honorio wrote:
About hosting a new poll I'm afraid I can't do it. In fact probably my participation in the Forum is going to decrease a lot from March, I'm going to increase my work on the afternoons in a new clinic and my spare time is going to be limited to weekends only. I'm going to miss you boys. A lot.
I will be sorry about this, but I quite understand. As for a 1900-1949 poll and 1950s poll, I would be a willing participant - and the link above provides a wealth of material to dive into - but I personally feel so ignorant of these periods that I would not wish to run these polls myself. The small turnout wouldn't be a problem if we have a hard core of enthusiastic participants.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I'm very interested in a pre-sixties poll too. A lot do discover for me there. Though I don't have time to set it up.

Back to the sixties poll, I'm really surprised how bad the early sixties score. I mean, I knew the second half of the decade would come out better, but the list seems almost divided between te two periods. I don't think that's deserved.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Rob wrote: Back to the sixties poll, I'm really surprised how bad the early sixties score. I mean, I knew the second half of the decade would come out better, but the list seems almost divided between te two periods. I don't think that's deserved.
The thing about aggregation is that lots of moderate biases when accumulated looks like a big bias.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

phil wrote:
DaveC wrote:With 22 ballots counted, there is a songs in our decade top 10 that didn't even make the top 10 for it's year!
Has to be Miserlou - Dick Dale. I think part of the reason is that its acclaim has only really happened since its inclusion in Pulp Fiction.
I think he meant that the song didn't make the top 10 for its year in the AMF polls. I that case, I think it would be "My Generation".
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Hey, my friends, many thanks for your kind words, especially these affectionate words from Brad. Many thanks!
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Now that we've reached 21 the data is more balanced when I compare my rankings are skewed higher than those of the poll, including gaps such as:

1) where my ranking is much higher than the poll results:

The RIghteous Brothers - You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' (15/103/88) - perhaps this is considered a bit sappy by those who rated it below 100?
Sam Cooke - Cupid (63/145/82) - could this also be viewed as trite and sappy by the many who put this towards the bottom of their lists
Beatles - Love Me Do (62/142/80) - is this song considered too simple and trite by the many who rated it in their bottom 2-3 songs?
Elvis Presley - Can't Help Falling In Love (45/123/78)
John Coltrane - Giant Steps (61/136/75)
Beatles - She Loves You (33/104/71) - My enjoyment of certain Beatles songs is clearly not shared with the majority of the voters in this poll.
Beach Boys - Sloop John B (18/88/70) - Perhaps the lyrics are too trite for many of the folks who voted in this poll.
Beatles - A Hard Day's Night (8/76/68) - 76 is not a bad rating for this song, but I clearly enjoy it much more than others participating in the poll
Sam Cooke - Chain Gang (78/141/63) - It seems that most folks placed this song in their bottom 5.
The Miracles - You've Really Got a Hold On Me (67/130/63) - most folks placed this song in their bottom 25
Percy Sledge - When a Man Loves a Woman (54/114/60)
Bob Dylan - I Want You (46/105/59)
Temptations - My Girl (9/67/58) - simpler love songs didn't appear to fare particularly well with this group of poll voters and perhaps with the forum participants generally.
Ray Charles - Georgia On My Mind (70/126/56) - lots of folks must have placed this song in their bottom 20.
Beatles - You Never Give Me Your Money (43/98/55) - perhaps this song is also considered trite by the many who rated this song in the bottom third.
Beatles - I Want to Hold Your Hand (38/93/55) - Another rather simple love song that I appear to appreciate more than the average poll voter.
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Ain't No Mountain High Enough (5/59/54) - Again, it seems that I appreciate happy and simple upbeat love songs more than the average poll voter.
Rolling Stones - Jumpin' Jack Flash (22/76/54) - Perhaps the Stones high energy songs are not so popular among the voters in this poll.
Bob Dylan - It Ain't Me Babe (77/131/54) - most folks placed this song in their bottom 20

and

2) where my ranking is much lower than the poll results:

Beatles - Tomorrow Never Knows (128/20/108) - The Beatles experimented quite a bit on this song. Unfortunately, I do not enjoy it very much.
Velvet Underground - Venus in Furs (127/22/105) - It does not appear that my rankings of VU songs will soon converge with others who participate in these polls
Kinks - Waterloo Sunset (106/7/99) - While I do enjoy this song, it is not one of my faves as it clearly must be for the large majority of the poll participants to place at #7.
Leonard Cohen - Suzanne (124/28/96) - Cohen is great songwriter, but I'm not a fan of Cohen's vocals and arrangements.
The Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog (145/54/91) - punk has never been one of my favorite genres
Edith Piaf - Non je ne regrette rien (143/57/86) - my low ranking for this song appears to have offended MM and perhaps others :?
King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man (115/29/86) - I prefer the more melodic side of KC
Nina Simone - Sinnerman (113/27/86) - while I enjoy this song, there were many others in our top 150 that I prefer.
Velvet Underground - Sunday Morning (119/40/79)
Velvet Underground - All Tomorrow's Parties (138/56/82)
Bob Dylan - Subterranean Homesick Blues (130/50/80) - lots of Dylan songs in this group of divergent songs that I like less than the average poll respondent.
Velvet Underground - Sunday Morning (119/40/79)
Jacques Brel - Amsterdam (144/68/76) - clearly I am no francophile
Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever (88/13/75) - Like many of their cutting edge songs, this is not one of my faves from the fab four. But, it has grown on me since I visited the fields (at least the gate) during the Magical Mystery Tour (on and off of a bus in Liverpool) last September.
Bob Dylan - Visions of Johanna (148/74/74)
Serge Gainsbourg - Je t'aime ... moi non plus (126/53/73)
Velvet Underground - I'm Waiting for the Man (105/37/68) - one of the few VU songs that I truly enjoy
The Doors - The End (141/83/58) - I agree with the view that this song is more enjoyable when listening to it with a clear mind. But, even then it is not so wonderful for me.Bob Dylan - A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (142/90/52)
Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (103/45/58) - I enjoy this song. Just not as much as the other voters in the poll.
Last edited by Henry on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 9 times in total.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

So nobody picked the #150 song and nobody picked the highest entry unranked on AM. Let's see how the other predictions go...

I will run a top 20 prediction competition when we get to that point.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Lot's to say and to little time to do so now, but I have to comment that I'm taken off guard by the high placement of Venus in Furs. Wouldn't have thought it could crack the top 100. It's a nice surprise though.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Honorio wrote:By the way, another music star that had visited Acclaimed Music Forum thanks to my friend is Thom Yorke (he liked our Foreign Music Poll and a thread I wrote about World Music musicians
If somebody would start a poll of the 100 Best Foreign-Language Song then I'd be most interested in joining as this adds diversity from the usual Beatles, Dylan and Rolling Stone. I'm willing to conduct it if somebody can send me a template of the presentation of the results and if I get an assurance of more than 10 voters. I'd be curious which songs will be included aside from the French love AM has for Piaf, Serge and Brel. An added plus might be possibly getting Thom Yorke to participate (wishful thinking :whistle:)
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Dexter wrote:
Honorio wrote:By the way, another music star that had visited Acclaimed Music Forum thanks to my friend is Thom Yorke (he liked our Foreign Music Poll and a thread I wrote about World Music musicians
If somebody would start a poll of the 100 Best Foreign-Language Song then I'd be most interested in joining as this adds diversity from the usual Beatles, Dylan and Rolling Stone. I'm willing to conduct it if somebody can send me a template of the presentation of the results and if I get an assurance of more than 10 voters. I'd be curious which songs will be included aside from the French love AM has for Piaf, Serge and Brel. An added plus might be possibly getting Thom Yorke to participate (wishful thinking :whistle:)
We have the World Music Cup running at the moment with voting still open for groups E&F, G&H. Lots of fine foreign language music in contention there.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

DaveC wrote:
Dexter wrote:
We have the World Music Cup running at the moment with voting still open for groups E&F, G&H. Lots of fine foreign language music in contention there.
Oh yeah, I agree: Pizzicato Five, Paolo Conte, etc., fine music indeed. I was thinking more of direct voting just like the recent AMF All-Time Song Poll but the World Music Cup is great. Yeah, so maybe after the Cup I'll probably have the chops to conduct a Top 100 poll.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

So here is my Henry type analysis:

Where my ranking is much higher than the poll result:-

Gerry and the Pacemakers - You'll Never Walk Alone (1/134/133) – as expected
Miles Davis - Concierto de Aranjuez (12/117/105) – not really jazz for jazz fans, not as good as the original for classical fans, too much like the original for non-classical fans? Well I like it anyway.
Howlin' Wolf - Spoonful (43/136/93) – This forum does not appreciate the blues.
The Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody (32/115/83) – I went through a period of hating it, but I’ve recovered.
The Tornados - Telstar (66/148/82) – Really unique, knocks the pants off all those me-to guitar instrumentals.
Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changin' (25/99/74) – really surprised this is on this list.
Patsy Cline - Crazy (2/75/73) – Must be that notorious bias against the early 60s
Dionne Warwick - Anyone Who Had a Heart (42/113/71) – I grew up with Cilla’s version, and some days I still prefer that version, so this is probably nostalgia.

Where my ranking is much lower than the poll result:-

The Beatles - Hey Jude (139/27/-112) – I’m not a beatles hater, but I’ve never liked this song.
The Doors - Light My Fire (127/39/-88) – So I rate The End higher than the forum (41/90), and this one starts out pretty good, then it goes on, and on, and on.. My clear mind becomes distinctly murky by the err conclusion.
The Band - The Weight (124/38/-86)
Aretha Franklin - Respect (111/29/-82)
The Kinks - You Really Got Me (109/37/-72) – Yes it is a good song, but hard to rate high when The Kinks have so many better songs.
phil
Unquestionable Presence

Post by phil »

Here’s what as struck me in terms of changes vs. the previous list in 2011

Losers
- Bob Dylan
- Beatles (Especially Strawberry Fields Forever [falling from 8 to 18] and Tomorrow Never Knows [14 to 20] and also In My Life [33 to 58]
- French songs mostly took a hit
- Jimi Hendrix (Hey Joe [down from 44 to 59, Voodoo Child (Slight Return) [down from 40 to 54] and Purple Haze [27 to 49]

Winners
- Psychedelic pop outside of The Beatles (in fact for The Beatles, it seems to be their Psychedelic Pop getting hit the most) - Love’s Alone Again Or climbs from 17 to 10, The Mamas & The Papas' California Dreamin’ goes up to 12 from 31, The Zombies’ Time of the Season rises to 28 [from 36] and Procul Harum’s A Whiter Shade of Pale goes up to 36 from 52.
- Folk / Singer/Songwriter (Simon and Garfunkel now have The Sounds of Silence and The Boxer in the top 25, Suzanne in at 30 and Brown Eyed Girl comes in at 33)

I haven’t done anything overly analytical to get to this, so there may well be strong counterpoints to the above...

Any other trends people have noticed? Does any of this change peoples' expectations of the top songs?
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Honorio wrote: By the way, another music star that had visited Acclaimed Music Forum thanks to my friend is Thom Yorke (he liked our Foreign Music Poll and a thread I wrote about World Music musicians, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=193, another thread where every image has disappeared).
You are incredible Honorio. Without you (sorry Henrik ;) the forum is not the same. I hope your job will be very great.

You are the proof (with other...Dan for example) than a forum can be a wonderful and peaceful place with some very great guys. I learned a lot about music with your posts and I thank you for that. My only regret is the language barrier that makes me speak English as a 5 year old child and does not allow me to seriously discuss music with you. :angry-banghead:

P.S. : for the poll, I found the French songs doing well with all the French forumers who don't vote :D

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”