2015 EOY Poll Results--Songs

Chambord
Let's Get It On

Re: 2015 EOY Poll Results--Songs

Post by Chambord »

There are 3 artists with with 3 songs in AMF EOY Top 10 this decade (2010s):

Grimes - Oblivion (2012); REALiTi (2015); Flesh Without Blood (2015)
Janelle Monáe - Cold War (2010); Tightrope (2010); Dance Apocalyptic (2013)
Kendrick Lamar - Never Catch Me [with Flying Lotus] (2014); The Blacker the Berry (2015); King Kunta (2015)

There are 8 artists with 2 songs in AMF EOY Top 10 this decade:

Arcade Fire - Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) (2010); Reflektor (2013)
Daft Punk - Get Lucky (2013); Giorgio by Moroder (2013)
James Blake - The Wilhelm Scream (2011); Retrograde (2013)
Kanye West - Runaway (2010); Black Skinhead (2013)
Lana Del Rey - Video Games (2011); West Coast (2014)
PJ Harvey - The Glorious Land (2011); The Words That Maketh Murder (2011)
Tame Impala - Elephant (2012); Let it Happen (2015)
The Black Keys - Tighten Up (2010); Lonely Boy (2011)
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Great job Whuntva/Sonofsamiam ! Looking forward to the albums results!
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

how close was it again?

"Let it Happen" had to have two people move it one spot lower for it to lose.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

whuntva wrote:how close was it again?

According to your presentation, the difference is 43 points. The maximum difference between two nearby spots is 5 points (between place 1 and 2). I'm confused.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Thanks for putting on the poll, sonofsamiam and whuntva! I'm sure we're all excited for the albums results!

I'm glad that "Let it Happen" won, it was certainly the best song of the year. One thing I'm bewildered about (though not necessarily surprised about) is the complete absence of Dr. Dre. We all like critically acclaimed Compton rapper Kendrick Lamar, but what about critically acclaimed Compton rapper Dr. Dre? With all the Kendrick love on the forum I'm confused as to why a fantastic song like "Genocide", from Dre's latest album and with a prominent Kendrick feature, didn't manage to crack the top 100 songs.

Oh well, at least Dre's album will have to place somewhere in the top 50 albums. Right? Right? Maybe not, but my fingers are crossed.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Henrik wrote:
whuntva wrote:how close was it again?

According to your presentation, the difference is 43 points. The maximum difference between two nearby spots is 5 points (between place 1 and 2). I'm confused.
Oh.

Not too good with this type of fancy mathematics.

I guess it just feels closer than it actually was.

But thanks for setting it straight.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

Henrik wrote:Awesome presentation, whuntva and sonofsamian! This list is the best collaborative EOY list I've seen.

I'm surprised "Lazarus" didn't make the list. Don't you consider it a 2015 song?

Also, how many points did Blick Bassy's "Aké" get? Both Dan and I had it quite high on our lists. Thanks Dan for making me aware of this wonderful song!
"Lazarus" was counted, but it only got 2 votes and placed #206. I think people put all their backing into "Blackstar", which also came out earlier.

"Aké", sadly, came in at #101, just behind Seinabo Sey. It had the 2 votes you mentioned, for 57.14 points.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Thanks a lot whuntva and sonofsamiam, that was great!

I do definitely like our list better than the critics list as well, partly for the reasons stated by Nassim.

As for Lazarus, it come out after christmas, the video was released in 2016 and the album it is on as well. So, I do kind of consider it to be a 2016 song, unlike Blackstar and some other songs of that album.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

How many voters in the poll?
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

Nick wrote:One thing I'm bewildered about (though not necessarily surprised about) is the complete absence of Dr. Dre. We all like critically acclaimed Compton rapper Kendrick Lamar, but what about critically acclaimed Compton rapper Dr. Dre? With all the Kendrick love on the forum I'm confused as to why a fantastic song like "Genocide", from Dre's latest album and with a prominent Kendrick feature, didn't manage to crack the top 100 songs.

Oh well, at least Dre's album will have to place somewhere in the top 50 albums. Right? Right? Maybe not, but my fingers are crossed.
Well, if the other forum members are like me, they probably didn't want to purchase the album without tasting it first. I tried to at least find "Genocide" online somewhere but I couldn't.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

As others have said this list destroys the critic's list this year. Two Holter songs in the top 20 is the highlight for me, and I'm glad we considered The Blacker the Berry to be the best Kendrick track. The top 9 are all very good songs, but the only head scratcher is Can't Feel My Face at #10...that song is the definition of mediocre to me, Uptown Funk does the same thing much better and I don't recall it placing last year.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Whuntva, good job !

I seem to be the only one to find the results very close to the critics list, with, not only the exact same artists, but also the same songs, ranked slightly differently. :D

For my personals tastes, I find it's getting worse every year. I really like maybe 5 or 6 songs in all our list this year... I don't know if there are more and more youngs men here... and me... older?! :?

And though, I find 2015 a great year for music.

Whatever, go 2016, go !
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

By the way, amazing (and speedy) job on this countdown. I feel like I always take weeks to post the results when I host a poll.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Whuntva, good job!

Can you post the spreadsheet?
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Here it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Thanks, whuntva. That was a good presentation.
Romain wrote: I seem to be the only one to find the results very close to the critics list, with, not only the exact same artists, but also the same songs, ranked slightly differently. :D

For my personals tastes, I find it's getting worse every year. I really like maybe 5 or 6 songs in all our list this year... I don't know if there are more and more youngs men here... and me... older?! :?
I agree. If you vote for something that isn't in the critics' list you know beforehand it won't get any support. It's just a popularity poll.
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

bonnielaurel wrote:I agree. If you vote for something that isn't in the critics' list you know beforehand it won't get any support. It's just a popularity poll.
There's just too much (good) music out there.
phil
Unquestionable Presence

Post by phil »

bonnielaurel wrote:
I agree. If you vote for something that isn't in the critics' list you know beforehand it won't get any support. It's just a popularity poll.
I partly agree, but disagree more.

The thing is, obviously nobody has heard all 790 songs that were voted for in the poll. Most of us also use the critics lists to some extent to help us decide what to listen to in our limited time. (And moreover, even if we have heard lots of the songs, we will still probably give more attention to ones that all the critics have pointed us to if we think it is more likely that we’ll like it). So naturally there is some exposure bias that lends itself towards the critics lists. And so to some extent it appears a little bit like shuffling around of what the critic's lists.

But at the same time, everyone here I think makes an effort to listen broadly and listen to as much as they can. And it does show: These lists do have quite a few differences to the critics lists (and on the whole I think improvement on). Just to name a few: There are songs like Low’s ‘No Comprehende’, Father John Misty’s 'Holy Shit’, Björk’s ‘Black Lake’, William Parker's 'For Fannie Lou Hamer’ that were nowhere in the critics’ lists but made the forum’s top 50. There are changes to favourites, like ‘The Blacker The Berry’ replacing ‘King Kunta’ and ‘Loud Places’ replacing 'I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)’. And then there are ones like ‘’Hotline Bling’ and ‘Shutdown’ that the forum has decided against.

In any case, these lists give a good idea of what we as a forum have collectively enjoyed the most over the year. And that is of interest in itself.

In the end though, your comments are why I also like to look through the results in terms of other measures like points per voter, outperformance vs the critics list and the lists excluding consensus voters. (Of course, not to discount what I’ve just said above that to see what music that has demonstrated true broad appeal across everyone is also of interest).

[And, I'll add my thanks to whuntva and sonofsamiam for running the poll. It was a great presentation all around - very nicely done]
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

whuntva wrote:Here it is.
Thank you!
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

phil wrote:
bonnielaurel wrote:

In any case, these lists give a good idea of what we as a forum have collectively enjoyed the most over the year. And that is of interest in itself.
Yes, but that isn't the best indicator of what was actually the greatest music to come out the last year. Not to say that it is a bad indicator, but it is not absolutely ideal.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

A very belated thank you to whuntva and sonofsamiam for this error-free and fast-paced rollout (same goes for the albums poll). Even though there weren't THAT many songs that I genuinely liked from both our consensus top 100 and the critics', as always I enjoyed discovering great music from individual lists.
Henrik wrote:Also, how many points did Blick Bassy's "Aké" get? Both Dan and I had it quite high on our lists. Thanks Dan for making me aware of this wonderful song!
I'm pleased that I'm not the only one who loves this beautiful song, Henrik. (I'm also pleased that you liked "Girl" by The Internet - it has a soulful vibe not unlike early Erykah Badu or Sade, which I know you're into). And it should come as no surprise to you that I liked your 2015 songs list more than anyone else's. Sorry for not including Seinabo Sey's "Hard Time" on my list. I put it on my list for the 2014 poll, but it has grown on me a lot since then and it would've been #11 on my 2015 list, which would've given it a higher ranking on our consensus list - but hey, at least it made the top 100 anyway!

Seinabo Sey is one of many artists from the Nordic countries whose music I enjoyed listening to in 2015 (others include Susanne Sundfør and Sver from Norway, Tove Styrke from Sweden, and of course Björk from Iceland). I enjoy listening to music from the Nordic countries more and more every year. I've always been fond of Abba and have spent many Sunday mornings listening to all the hip bands/artists that have emerged from that region over the past couple of decades, like The Knife, Lykke Li, Robyn, Sigur Rós, Röyksopp, Annie, etc. But I'm also starting to appreciate Nordic folk music. It's funny how the music from a country or region can make you feel closer to that country/region than you would've had you not discovered its music. The only Nordic places I've ever visited are Stockholm and its archipelago island of Finnhamn (I loved Stockholm and will definitely go back there again). But the music of the Nordic countries makes me want to explore so much more of the region. In April I'm moving back to the UK and will be based in Newcastle. There are some lovely North Sea beaches near Newcastle. And if you stand on one of those beaches and look out over the sea, you look in the direction of Denmark. It's probably about time that I cross that sea and visit those picturesque Scandinavian countries.
...will keep us together.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Dan wrote: Seinabo Sey is one of many artists from the Nordic countries whose music I enjoyed listening to in 2015 (others include Susanne Sundfør and Sver from Norway, Tove Styrke from Sweden, and of course Björk from Iceland). I enjoy listening to music from the Nordic countries more and more every year. I've always been fond of Abba and have spent many Sunday mornings listening to all the hip bands/artists that have emerged from that region over the past couple of decades, like The Knife, Lykke Li, Robyn, Sigur Rós, Röyksopp, Annie, etc. But I'm also starting to appreciate Nordic folk music. It's funny how the music from a country or region can make you feel closer to that country/region than you would've had you not discovered its music. .
It's perfect, exactly what I feel too. I'm sure there are wonderful discoveries to be made in these countries. Their music calms me, transports me far away... like the nordic classical musics composers too.

This site, given by Blanco here last year, can help you :
http://beehy.pe/home/

Do you have some recommendations? If you don't know he, you can try Ólafur Arnalds, it's a superb minimalist composer.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Romain, I know exactly what you mean when you say that Nordic music calms you down, transports you and takes you far away. The first time I heard Sibelius' "Finlandia" I felt Finland. I would describe most of the Noridic music I like as "cold" (even "icy") rather than "warm", but it's a comforting, calming, and exotic coldness I feel when I listen to it.

You asked for recommendations. I don't think the Nordic folk music I've listened to lately is your thing, but here are 10 of my favourites:

Frigg Norrsken
Gjermund Larsen Trio Bachslått
Maria Kalaniemi Ellin polka
Sver Fryd
Väsen Flippen
Hekla Stålstrenga Syvogtredve Fem
Mari Boine Vuoi Vuoi Mu
Garmarna Gamen
Triakel Lihll-Pe i Floa
Ranarim Brinna inga hjärtan

As for pop, rock, etc. there are so many Nordic songs I love, and I'm not sure which of those you would've heard. I remember you saying once that your love for music started with classical music. Sibelius and Nielsen are of course the most famous Nordic composers, but here are 3 Nordic symphonies I can recommend that you may not have heard:

Franz Berwald Symphony No.1 in G-minor "Sinfonie sérieuse"
Wilhelm Stenhammar Symphony No.2 in G-minor, Op.34
Einojuhani Rautavaara Symphony No.8
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Ooooh, thanks thanks thanks ! I know nobody in your ten names list, I will dig all that.

Can I hugely recommand to you the 2015 album by The White Birch - The Weight Of Spring? (Norvegian)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMpOJEd5lKc

For the classical composers, it's funny because I bought the whole symphonies by Nielsen and Berwald the same year for my wifes's birthday and she (and I) really appreciate them.

For Sibelius, it's not the first time I said that but the "Valse triste" is one of the most beautiful piece of music ever created. And his 5th symphony's allegro is so majestuous, so beautiful and so strong that I can feel the nordic soul immediatly : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJRli4uizyY (between 0 and 10 minutes, after, it's another movement).
Goosebumps guaranteed.

I know a little bite of Rautavaara but the last one is unknown for me.

Thanks.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

May I recommend Per Nørgård's 3rd Symphony? Utterly amazing, a recent discovery.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

I'm a sponge, you can recommand what you want, it's always a pleasure to discovering new composers. :happy-partydance:
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

sonofsamiam wrote:May I recommend Per Nørgård's 3rd Symphony? Utterly amazing, a recent discovery.
Okay, this is really good. It reminds me of Dmitri Shostakovich's 15th Symphony (which you've probably already heard, but in the case of the tiny possibility that you haven't, it's really good.)

On, a completely different note, I'd also like to recommend Karuki zamen kuri no hana by Shiina Ringo, which you've again probably heard, as it was through you that I found Shiina Ringo, but still worth checking out for everyone.

And Romain, I've really liked all the songs from France in the group stage so far. For me, France is a clear favorite to win.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

sonofsamiam wrote:May I recommend Per Nørgård's 3rd Symphony? Utterly amazing, a recent discovery.
Your link is dead (for me) sonofamiam but the symphony is on youtube.... and is good, if not very good. I'm happy to see classical composer create listenable works in the 1970s. I really like the feeling to having on all the symphony two melodies on the same times overlapping. And the chorus is a real plus.

Dan, the Wilhelm Stenhammar symphony is far more "classical" but with strong and epic moments, my wife love the symphony more than me and I command it on internet.

Thank you both.

P.S. : sonofsamiam, do you like the "Musique spectrale" (spectral music)? For what I know, it's the kind of music you can like.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectral_music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4EIx0X ... cyE9fxAIWc
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Very delighted to see a discussion about Nordic Music pop up!

I was very late with my 2015 songs list, but I had a quick listening to people's top songs which helped me a lot to reach 100 songs I really like, but my feeling was the same as yours, Dan: "it should come as no surprise to you that I liked your 2015 songs list more than anyone else's". It's clear that the disagreements we had in the '60s poll ("I Want to Hold Your Hand", "Je t'aime... moi non plus") were only exceptions that prove the rule. :D

For those of you who wants more recommendations about Swedish Music, I have just posted a list of 277 artists/songs in the "Share a Spotify playlist!" thread.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

Romain wrote:P.S. : sonofsamiam, do you like the "Musique spectrale" (spectral music)? For what I know, it's the kind of music you can like.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectral_music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4EIx0X ... cyE9fxAIWc
Oh yes, I love spectralism. Norgard definitely touches on it, but even more so there are Murail (as you linked), Grisey, Cerha, and, especially, Georg Friedrich Haas. Haas is my favorite 21st century composer by a good distance, unbelievable stuff.

I love Ligeti too, of course, but he's listed more as a "proto-spectralist", whatever that means.

I definitely need to dig deeper, but you guessed exactly right....
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Thanks to you Henrik ;-)

And sonofsamiam (can I ask the meaning of your name?) touché ;-) I often like your reccommandations in music. Can I ask again if, sometimes, you go to "my" thread (France, one song per day) because I post sometimes music I think you can llike (classical and prog especially).

Dan, you guess well, it's a little bit too "folky" for me.
But I particulary like Gjermund Larsen Trio Bachslått
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Oh, can I just say thanks for your mention of this, sonofsam? While I didn't particularly care for the 3rd symphony, it did lead me to Nørgård's own Constellations, Fugitive Summer, and his 6th Sympathy ("At the End of the Day") which were utterly amazing. I can't thank you enough. I would not have known about Nørgård otherwise!
Fred
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Fred »

Late

1 Jamie XX - Obvs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfdn_DIp6C8
2 Julia Holter - Sea Calls Me Home https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OERixQR-hxY
3 U.S. Girls - Damn That Valley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93yOrb04Eao
4 Tame Impala - Let It Happen
5 Mac DeMarco - Another One
6 Grimes - Realiti
7 Panda Bear - Butcher Baker Candlestick Maker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_L0xYH_7-I
8 Panda Bear - Mr. Noah
9 Hot Cip - Huarche Lights
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Romain wrote:you can try Ólafur Arnalds
I typed his name in the search box here on our forum and saw that his piece "Fyrsta" was on your all-time songs list. So I listened to it... and it's a really beautiful piece. I will definitely listen to more of his stuff! Thanks for the recommendation.
Henrik wrote: For those of you who want more recommendations about Swedish Music, I have just posted a list of 277 artists/songs in the "Share a Spotify playlist!" thread.
Thanks for sharing! I'm listening to it from the bottom upwards. So far Alice Boman's "Waiting" is my favourite new discovery.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”