The day Beyoncé turned black

Henrik
Site Admin

The day Beyoncé turned black

Post by Henrik »

I thought this was really funny.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Re: The day Beyoncé turned black

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

This and maybe the Kyle Mooney rap battle were the only worthwhile parts of SNL the other night. But I sat through it anyway, because it was what Yeezus wanted.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:This and maybe the Kyle Mooney rap battle were the only worthwhile parts of SNL the other night. But I sat through it anyway, because it was what Yeezus wanted.
Are you suggesting that his debut of "Ultralight Beam" wasn't worth it? Because that was an incredible live hip-hop performance if I've ever seen one.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

It was funny, but I think it only represented a handful of vocal Twitter posts. Nobody I know considers the new song controversial at all.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Setherex wrote:
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:This and maybe the Kyle Mooney rap battle were the only worthwhile parts of SNL the other night. But I sat through it anyway, because it was what Yeezus wanted.
Are you suggesting that his debut of "Ultralight Beam" wasn't worth it? Because that was an incredible live hip-hop performance if I've ever seen one.
I was referring to the skits. That performance was great.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Setherex wrote:
I was referring to the skits. That performance was great.
:text-goodpost: I love you like Kanye loves Kanye.

Irrelevant to this forum, obviously, but I'd also throw my hat in for the "Movie Night" skit. Some solidly funny lines in there. But the Beyonce + Kanye skits were clearly best of the night.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

So this turned into another Kanye thread...

Sorry, I had to say that. But you can write what you want of course.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Henrik wrote:So this turned into another Kanye thread...

:text-goodpost:
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Henrik wrote:So this turned into another Kanye thread...

:?

Everything I touch seems to turn to Kanye this week. My apologies.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I don't understand why they insist on making the show go for an hour and a half (with commercials). Like albums that go for too long, the filler ruins the flow.

That being said I think the pre-recorded sketches are the most consistently funny, along with weekend updates. This one and the Bern Your Enthusiasm last week were quite on-point.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I think the length of the show is just because that's how it's always been. Most people tune out after Weekend Update anyway.

I hate Colin Jost so much. I hate Colin Jost like Donald Trump hates facts.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Jirin wrote:I think the length of the show is just because that's how it's always been. Most people tune out after Weekend Update anyway.

Jost / Che weekend update has actually turned from one of the things I hated most about the show recently into its most reliable aspects for me. Their chemistry is strangely palpable and adorable nowadays. No doubt it could be better, but I'm left amused.

I do hope SNL does not continue in its current form too far into the future, though. Once Lorne Michaels is done with it, it should be quickly on the out for a new, more modern scheme.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Jirin wrote:I hate Colin Jost so much. I hate Colin Jost like Hillary Clinton hates facts.
FYP

Edit: Yeah I'm kinda sorry and I won't escalate this further.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I feel like that
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Jirin wrote:I think the length of the show is just because that's how it's always been. Most people tune out after Weekend Update anyway.

PlasticRam wrote:
Jirin wrote:I hate Colin Jost so much. I hate Colin Jost like Hillary Clinton hates facts.
FYP

Neither of these posts exist. We do not need to go down this topic again.

What did Beyonce do to deserve Kanye and political derailment?
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

BleuPanda wrote: What did Beyonce do to deserve Kanye and political derailment?
People found out she was black :whistle:
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

This has been a really interesting week or so on my facebook. My right-leaning friends are going on about Beyonce being racist due to the Black Panther get-up at the Super Bowl, while my left-leaning friends are angry at her for, uh, I'm not sure exactly. Apparently she's trying to use the suffering of other black people for monetary gains? Only poor black people from New Orleans are allowed to comment on the effects of Hurricane Katrina or something. Not to add in the posts about Beyonce being popular solely due to the straight white male gaze.

I'm not sure how Beyonce has become such a controversial figure, but one of the problems I have with this video is she's also been getting attacked by other black people for essentially not being black enough, either because she's too successful to understand suffering or because she dares to dye her hair blonde. No one knows what to do with her and it all seems to ride on stereotypes and false expectations of what a black woman is allowed to do.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

BleuPanda wrote:I'm not sure how Beyonce has become such a controversial figure, but one of the problems I have with this video is she's also been getting attacked by other black people for essentially not being black enough, either because she's too successful to understand suffering or because she dares to dye her hair blonde. No one knows what to do with her and it all seems to ride on stereotypes and false expectations of what a black woman is allowed to do.
If you are talking about the SNL video, I don't necessary think it's focusing on purely Beyoncé and her Super Bowl performance, but instead of a celebrity's ability to be able to appeal to masses of people who adore her nonetheless of her race (as rightfully). I mean, Kerry Washington is mentioned in that video as "supposedly black", and there's that exchange between the pair of friends with one oblivious of the other's race.

If you are talking about the Formation video, I really see it as her trying to view her race's recent history.

Sorry, if that turned out too race-oriented.
BleuPanda wrote:Not to add in the posts about Beyonce being popular solely due to the straight white male gaze.
Not solely as Crazy in Love and Countdown are, in my opinion, great pop songs, but her looks doesn't hurt either. ;)
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

On a side note, can I just write her name without the accent?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

babydoll wrote: If you are talking about the SNL video, I don't necessary think it's focusing on purely Beyoncé and her Super Bowl performance, but instead of a celebrity's ability to be able to appeal to masses of people who adore her nonetheless of her race (as rightfully).
Haven't watched the sketch, but this comment reminds me - in a somewhat different key - of a classic scene from Do the Right Thing, in which Mookie calls out Pino (the overtly racist son of pizzeria owner Sal) on some pop-culture cognitive dissonance (I'm working strictly from memory here, so pardon any errors):

MOOKIE: Let me ask you something, Pino - who's your favorite basketball player?
PINO: Magic Johnson.
MOOKIE: Who's your favorite movie star?
PINO: Eddie Murphy.
MOOKIE: Who's your favorite rock star? (Pino thinks.) Prince.
PINO: Nah. The Boss - Bruce!
MOOKIE: Prince. It's Prince. See, that's what I don't get about you, Pino - every other word out of your mouth is "n***er this, n***er that," and yet all your favorite people are so-called n***ers!
PINO: But - they're different. Magic, Eddie, Prince - they're not n***ers. I mean - they're not black. They're more than black.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Harold wrote:Haven't watched the sketch, but this comment reminds me - in a somewhat different key - of a classic scene from Do the Right Thing, in which Mookie calls out Pino (the overtly racist son of pizzeria owner Sal) on some pop-culture cognitive dissonance (I'm working strictly from memory here, so pardon any errors):

MOOKIE: Let me ask you something, Pino - who's your favorite basketball player?
PINO: Magic Johnson.
MOOKIE: Who's your favorite movie star?
PINO: Eddie Murphy.
MOOKIE: Who's your favorite rock star? (Pino thinks.) Prince.
PINO: Nah. The Boss - Bruce!
MOOKIE: Prince. It's Prince. See, that's what I don't get about you, Pino - every other word out of your mouth is "n***er this, n***er that," and yet all your favorite people are so-called n***ers!
PINO: But - they're different. Magic, Eddie, Prince - they're not n***ers. I mean - they're not black. They're more than black.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Kanye West and Donald Trump are very similar personalities.

I stopped looking at that Citizen Trump thread somewhere around 30 posts, I had no idea it descended to that level. Come on people. I just saw that 'Like Kanye West loves Kanye West' thing and was trying to extend that. Two narcissists who make serious issues all about them and want to be president.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Jirin wrote:Kanye West and Donald Trump are very similar personalities.
I very much agree. That's a modern way to market one's self, say crazy stuff and split the public opinion, or even net negative public opinion.

And I do regret one thing I said on that Citizen Trump thread, but I stand by all other things.
I feel like that

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”