Kesha

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Kesha

Post by BleuPanda »

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/arts/ ... .html?_r=0

Have any of you been keeping up with Kesha's court case? I know her music is the exact opposite of what we care about, but the case is a grim reminder of the problems in the current music industry.

For those who aren't aware, we haven't heard from her in the last few years due to her being abused by her producer. She has been trying to find a legal way out of her contract but the courts haven't been working in her favor.

It's one of those sad states where freeing her from her contract could set a bad precedent legally, but it's also unfair to expect her to work with someone who has emotionally tormented and raped her. This situation has effectively shut down her career, while doing pretty much nothing to harm the person behind the abuse. There's also been talk about how disturbing it is that artists like Chris Brown keep finding support but a woman who has been abused has been effectively silenced. It's also worrying how little attention this case is getting; Kesha was a big name only a few years back, so it's odd how mainstream media has been ignoring it.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Re: Kesha

Post by babydoll »

Her case isn't on the same level as O.J. Simpson's so I haven't delved too much into it. I will say this from what I've read: she isn't exactly not being un-supported as celebs on Twitter have been saying "#freekesha."
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

BleuPanda wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/arts/ ... .html?_r=0

Have any of you been keeping up with Kesha's court case? I know her music is the exact opposite of what we care about, but the case is a grim reminder of the problems in the current music industry.

For those who aren't aware, we haven't heard from her in the last few years due to her being abused by her producer. She has been trying to find a legal way out of her contract but the courts haven't been working in her favor.

It's one of those sad states where freeing her from her contract could set a bad precedent legally, but it's also unfair to expect her to work with someone who has emotionally tormented and raped her. This situation has effectively shut down her career, while doing pretty much nothing to harm the person behind the abuse. There's also been talk about how disturbing it is that artists like Chris Brown keep finding support but a woman who has been abused has been effectively silenced. It's also worrying how little attention this case is getting; Kesha was a big name only a few years back, so it's odd how mainstream media has been ignoring it.
Not sure why you are using Chris Brown as an example for a comparison. They are two entirely different scenarios. Brown was/is not trying to get out of contract from a record company based on allegations. What Brown did was horrible but he can still make music as long as he wants when he wants.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I think it's a good thing she's suing now. I've heard statements like "she's definitely telling the truth" or "she's a complete liar". But there's just not point in arguing when we don't have all the information. I think we should just wait for the court's decision and respect that. In my opinion.

Clearly she's anguished about being tied to the contract though, so I hope they'll work out a way so that she can get out of it even if he's not found guilty of anything.

Edit: I guess the thing is that Luke is fighting hard to keep her in the contract, so basically she's gonna have to win the court case about him harassing and/or raping her to get out of the contract. It's a fucked up situation in any case.

Edit: I agree with most of what BP says tbh.
I feel like that
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

From what I understand she can work with other people, but is tied to Sony (or the sub-label) for 6 more albums. Which shouldn't be an acceptable contact length for any musician, especially a pop musician. Between this and the claims of harassment it's no surprise that she wants out of the contract.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Maschine_Man wrote:From what I understand she can work with other people, but is tied to Sony (or the sub-label) for 6 more albums. Which shouldn't be an acceptable contact length for any musician, especially a pop musician. Between this and the claims of harassment it's no surprise that she wants out of the contract.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Sad thing is... even if she proves Dr. Luke raped her, she's still stuck with the contract. As her contract specifically states that he has to produce six songs for each of her albums, she's still forced to work with him. Her career is probably officially over now. At least TiK ToK was successful, so she'll probably get some revenue from it. :-|
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

In the nineties several artists had contractual problems with their record company. I think Toni Braxton went bankrupt while she was #1 in the charts. TLC was in a comparable situation. Prince also had a contract for six albums he didn't want to make, I don't remember exactly.

Ke$ha said her producer Dr. Luke put her under pressure to lose weight, and this led to an eating disorder. From her first album Animal 2.5 million copies were sold. From her second album Warrior only 250,000.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”