UMT 2012: Round of 128 #5

slick
Movin' On Up

UMT 2012: Round of 128 #5

Post by slick »

We move on to the head to head portion of the Tournament. Pick your winners in each matchup. The results from last round are in parenthesis.

David Bowie (235) vs. Motley Crue (68)
Kanye West (95) vs. Ray Charles (93)
Queen (109) vs. Def Leppard (83)
PJ Harvey (112) vs. OutKast (77)
Arcade Fire (135) vs. Elliott Smith (75)
Guns ‘N Roses (107) vs. Chuck Berry (84)
Lou Reed (99) vs. Sufjan Stevens (89)
Elvis Presley (146) vs. Eminem (70)
slick
Movin' On Up

Re: UMT 2012: Round of 128 #5

Post by slick »

Bowie
Kanye (Really, really struggled with this...)
Queen (This was kind of tough too, had Def Leppard stopped making music after Hysteria they would be more acclaimed as an artist, just a thought...)
OutKast
Arcade Fire
GNR
Sufjan Stevens (Not a huge fan of either)
Elvis
Schwah
Strange Fruit

Post by Schwah »

David Bowie (235)
Kanye West (95)
Queen (109)
PJ Harvey (112)
Arcade Fire (135)
Chuck Berry (84)
Lou Reed (99)
Eminem (70)
Evan
Strange Fruit

Post by Evan »

David Bowie
Kanye West
Queen
OutKast
Elliott Smith
Guns N Roses
Sufjan Stevens
Eminem
Greg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Greg »

David Bowie
Kanye West
Def Leppard
PJ Harvey
Elliott Smith
Chuck Berry
Lou Reed
Elvis Presley
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

David Bowie
Kanye West
Queen
OutKast
Elliott Smith (very few artists would have had my vote against Arcade Fire)
Chuck Berry
Sufjan Stevens
Eminem (the worst thing since Elvis Presley to do black music so selfishly and used it to get himself wealthy)
Last edited by Nassim on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

David Bowie
Kanye West
Queen
OutKast
Arcade Fire
Guns N' Roses
Lou Reed
Elvis Presley
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

David Bowie
Kanye West
Queen
OutKast
Elliott Smith
Chuck Berry
Sufjan Stevens
Elvis Presley
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

OK, after no brainers yesterday almost all of these were really difficult decisions.

David Bowie- No brainer.
Kanye West- I contemplated going for who is actually the better artist unsubjectively (is that even a word?) rather than the artist who has the most songs I like since I'm not a huge fan of either.
Queen- Def Leppard is ok, but Queen takes this in a landslide. I finally listened to Night at the Opera a couple weeks ago and I have a new apprecation for them since I never heard a full album of theirs that I loved. I love that album.
OutKast- Same as the Kanye vote and this one made me decide to just go with who's songs I listen to more for both. Almost voted Harvey here just for Sheela Na Gig but decided that I like Ms. Jackson more anyway.
Elliott Smith- Ouch. Two of my favorite artists in the first h2h round?
Guns ‘N Roses- I don't know what it is about G+R because I don't like hair bands for the most part and I don't like metal either (even if they aren't really metal). Their singles were amazing. I appreciate Chuck Berry and love a few songs but most of them sound the same.
Sufjan Stevens- He's one of the biggest snobs ever but his music is pretty good. As much as I love the VU, Lou Reed has like 3 or 4 good songs solo and that's it.
Elvis Presley- Elvis gets a good matchup here. Not much interests me after his solo album other than maybe the hymns albums but that solo album is pretty good stuff.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

David Bowie - I am not the biggest Bowie fan, but this was not close
Ray Charles - admittedly subjective choice, expected to lose in a landslide this round
Queen - I enjoyed two albums from Def Leppard, not a close call on this one
OutKast - I do not like either as much as the average AMer
Arcade Fire - easy call for me, could make the elite eight
Chuck Berry - I don't see Chuck or GNR getting much further than past this round
Sufjan Stevens - one of many revelations for me since I started participating as an AMer
Elvis Presley - I don't see Elvis getting too much deeper, perhaps the round of 32
Midaso
Wannabe

Post by Midaso »

David Bowie
Ray Charles - *dead* @ so many people voting for Kanye over a musical giant
Queen
PJ Harvey
Elliott Smith
Chuck Berry
Lou Reed
Elvis Presley
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

David Bowie
Kanye West
Queen)
PJ Harvey
Arcade Fire
Chuck Berry (84)
Lou Reed
Elvis Presley
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

David Bowie (235)
Ray Charles (93)
Queen (109)
PJ Harvey (112)
Arcade Fire (135)
Chuck Berry (84)
Lou Reed (99) The hardest game since the beginning of the game.
Elvis Presley (146)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

John wrote:Sufjan Stevens- He's one of the biggest snobs ever
?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Michel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Michel »

David Bowie
Kanye West
Def Leppard
PJ Harvey
Elliott Smith
Chuck Berry
Sufjan Stevens
Eminem
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

David Bowie (in one of the most ridiculous match-ups !)
Ray Charles (what is Kanye West compared to the Genius ? not even a dwarf)
Queen (alas)
Outkast (so much more colorful and it's not a bad racist joke)
Arcaed Fire (tough choice, they're more consistent I would say)
Chuck B (who dared voting for Guns ? We're talking about a pilgrim father here)
Lou Reed (another tough choice because I love Sufjan, although he didn't accomplish as much as Lou did)
Elvis Presley (Eminem wasn't so poor a match against him, but he's the king)

To me great singers from the 50's are kinda sacred. You've gotta be very strong to beat them
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Please think before you say that Elvis (or Eminem) stole from black music. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Did anybody ever say that Chuck Berry (who was a huge country fan), Miles or Stevie (or the TVOR singer) stole from white music ? Absurd to oppose black vs white like this. Pop music is by definition a looting genre. Elvis was a southern man, and if you closely look at southern music, it has always been a blend of black and white music. IMO this wonderful mélange is one of the best cases ever agains racism.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Surprisingly many of today's artists are just inside or just outside of my top 100.

1. David Bowie (12)
2. Lou Reed (21)
3. Chuck Berry (71)
4. Guns ‘N Roses (73)
5. Queen (89)
6. Sufjan Stevens (90)
7. Arcade Fire (97)
8. Eminem (98)
9. PJ Harvey (102)
10. Elliott Smith (103)
11. Elvis Presley (104)
12. OutKast (106)
13. Kanye West (108)
14. Ray Charles (122)
15. Motley Crue (68)
16. Def Leppard (83)
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

David Bowie
Ray Charles
Quee
PJ Harvey
Arcade Fire
Chuck Berry
Sufjan Stevens
Elvis Presley
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

nicolas wrote:Please think before you say that Elvis (or Eminem) stole from black music. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Did anybody ever say that Chuck Berry (who was a huge country fan), Miles or Stevie (or the TVOR singer) stole from white music ? Absurd to oppose black vs white like this. Pop music is by definition a looting genre. Elvis was a southern man, and if you closely look at southern music, it has always been a blend of black and white music. IMO this wonderful mélange is one of the best cases ever agains racism.
There is a difference though. Eminem makes his own music in a genre dominated by black people while Elvis, at least initially, covered music made by black people and did not credit them. It has very little to do with black/white in my opinion, but it has to do with actually being a musician or not. Elvis was a great performer, no doubt, but was he really a great songwriter?
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

By saying that you don't put yourself in a 50's perspective. The notion of singer/songwriter became of importance in the 60's with Dylan, so applied to the 50's it is anachronistic. No, Elvis was not a songwriter but in country/blues/early rnr this notion is not relevant. If you take Robert Johnson's songs for instance, they're not really compositions and they're made of bits and pieces of older blues songs. And Elvis was a great musician for sure. The human voice is an instrument.
I think many people tend to hear and appreciate music with post-1965 (not to say 77 or 91) ears. Not that I blame anybody, though, it is normal that time fades away... It's like saying that all chuck Berry songs sound the same ;)

if you want conversation you got it :lol: :lol:
Chilton
Different Class

Post by Chilton »

David Bowie
Kanye West
Queen
PJ Harvey
Elliott Smith
Chuck Berry
Lou Reed
Elvis Presley
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

David Bowie #7 vs. Motley Crue - This should be a shutout
Kanye West vs. Ray Charles - Very close. I might have just as many Kanye songs I like, but Gold Digger used to be ahead of I've Got a Woman and that still bothers me.
Queen vs. Def Leppard
PJ Harvey #21 vs. OutKast #92
Arcade Fire vs. Elliott Smith - I don't know here, I'm just voting for Elliott because AF will win anyway.
Guns ‘N Roses vs. Chuck Berry #82
Lou Reed #53 vs. Sufjan Stevens #24
Elvis Presley #98 vs. Eminem
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

David Bowie: How has Motley Crue made it so far?
Ray Charles
Queen
PJ Harvey
Elliott Smith: I'm not as big of a fan as I used to be, but he was much more consistent than AF.
Chuck Berry
Sufjan Stevens: I need to get into Lou's non-Transformer/Berlin solo output, but for now, this is the pick.
Elvis Presley: Eminem is an embarrassment and quite frankly, should not be critically acclaimed. He has a few good singles, that's it.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

nicolas wrote:Please think before you say that Elvis (or Eminem) stole from black music. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Did anybody ever say that Chuck Berry (who was a huge country fan), Miles or Stevie (or the TVOR singer) stole from white music ? Absurd to oppose black vs white like this. Pop music is by definition a looting genre. Elvis was a southern man, and if you closely look at southern music, it has always been a blend of black and white music. IMO this wonderful mélange is one of the best cases ever agains racism.
I was just quoting the lyrics from "Without Me" ;)
dr_Robert
Strange Fruit

Post by dr_Robert »

David Bowie
Kanye West
Queen
PJ Harvey
Arcade Fire
Guns ‘N Roses
Sufjan Stevens (89)
Eminem (70)

Elliott Smith would beat most other artists, but not Arcade Fire. :-(
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

David Bowie
Ray Charles
pass (Both mediocre)
PJ Harvey
Arcade Fire
Guns ‘N Roses
Lou Reed
Elvis Presley

In judging the quality of a song or a performance it doesn't matter who wrote the song, but I respect a singer a lot more if he's also the songwriter. But I think this poll should be approached purely based on the final product, not where you attribute the creative process.

But Nicolas, I don't think one needs to suspend disbelief the last fifty years of musical history did or did not happen in order to judge old music. If music doesn't sound as good after time pages, that's not 'viewing with modern eyes', that's music not aging well.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

David Bowie
Kanye West
Queen
PJ Harvey
Elliott Smith (75)
Chuck Berry (84)
Lou Reed
Elvis Presley

Thanks!
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Jirin wrote:
But Nicolas, I don't think one needs to suspend disbelief the last fifty years of musical history did or did not happen in order to judge old music. If music doesn't sound as good after time pages, that's not 'viewing with modern eyes', that's music not aging well.
Your tendancy to overgeneralize things is sometimes abyssal (if that word exists in English)
I don't know what «not aging well» means. The older I get the less I'm interested by modernity. I've alxays had an «out of time» approach to music. Probably because I have an obsession with history and the past. That's why my 2 favorite games here are the decade polls (methodical exploration of time) and the foreign world cup (space). I've alwaypictured time as a map. Like Moonbeam with colors and numbers
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Bowie
Ray Ray
Queen
Outkast
Arcade Fire
Guns N Roses (Tough call..mostly because everything GNR did after their debut sucked.)
Lou Reed
Elvis
Greg Rumpff
Strange Fruit

Post by Greg Rumpff »

1) David Bowie
2) Ray Charles – but I like a lot of Kanye. If he’d been against Bowie, I’d have gone with Yeezy.
3) Queen
4) OutKast
5) I’m not honestly a fan of either…pass
6) Chuck Berry….not even close “If rock and roll had another name, it would be ‘Chuck Berry music’…” JOHN LENNON
7) Not familiar enough with either…pass
8) Elvis…but this is also tough for me. I really like Eminem a lot…but Elvis has a greater body of work that I like in terms of quantity. After Eminem gets another 5 years or so under his belt, this could change.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

David Bowie
Ray Charles
Queen
PJ Harvey
Arcade Fire
Chuck Berry
Lou Reed
Elvis Presley
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

I have to agree that Elvis hasn't aged well but it's due to my opinion that the little known artists he emulated grew in recognition over the years and Elvis just doesn't seem like the leader of even 50's rock and roll or even rockabilly let alone the king of all rock and roll because of that.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

nicolas wrote:
Jirin wrote:
Your tendancy to overgeneralize things is sometimes abyssal (if that word exists in English)
I don't know what «not aging well» means. The older I get the less I'm interested by modernity. I've alxays had an «out of time» approach to music. Probably because I have an obsession with history and the past. That's why my 2 favorite games here are the decade polls (methodical exploration of time) and the foreign world cup (space). I've alwaypictured time as a map. Like Moonbeam with colors and numbers
I agree music should be judged 'out of time', but you're accusing people of not liking the music you like because of being too modern in their standards. There is music that sounds good completely outside of its original time and cultural context, and music that sounds less good the farther you are removed from it. Jazz ages very well, it sounds just as good now as it did in the culture it originated from. Elvis, in my opinion, falls mostly in the latter category. This is not applying modern bias, as you accuse people of, it is applying my own opinion that Elvis does not sound as good 'out of time' as he did in the context of his own.

Applying 'temporal relativism' is for the music historians, and I judge any piece of music the same no matter what year it happened to be recorded in.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

I was not accusing anybody, I'm no judge, I was just saying that the singer songwriter doesn't apply in the 50's
The rest is personal opinion. To my ears «That's all right Mama» sounds as fresh as a peach in summer, and some cheap jazz can sound stale
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

I don't think he sounds dated at all. I just think his legacy hasn't aged well and it doesn't have to do with time passing I don't think. Frank Sinatra is still the go to guy for standards, Johnny Cash and Hank Williams are still the kings of country, the jazz legends are still the best we've ever heard. Elvis's legacy was created on the illusion that he was the best around by our parents and grandparents. That's what they knew and heard. We know better and his legacy to rock and roll has changed big time.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

The problem with Elvis is that he was only excellent for a couple of years, around his 1956 peak. At that time he was just divine, musically and for what he stood for : think about how many singers told in interviews how seeing him on TV changed their lives (the Beatles, Springsteen and many others). He was an icon, he mixed country and blues, black and white music. Of course if you're a music expert you'll find more skilled or deserving musicians in the same field (Chuck, Buddy Holly for some others) but no matter this guy during his Sun period and his first 2albums WAS rockn'roll. Just look at London Calling Cover art.
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

I agree with all of that. I don't think many of us would say we don't like Elvis. I really enjoy his debut. But, I think there still is a shock when Elvis always loses early in our polls and that's just because his legacy isn't what it was even 10 years ago. 10 years ago I think he still was widely known as the king of rock... now, I think his legacy is just as a trailblazer. That's unfair, he's more than that, but surely not the king of rock and roll in almost any critical circle.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Yeah it's interesting to see that 50's rnr matters less for the new generations. For my generation it was a sort of fascinating golden age, even if it lasted like 4 or 5 years.It's still a golden age for the classic rock lovers and early punks, but less for the indie/rap/electro generation. As I said these guys (Elvis, Little R, Chuck, Buddy H, Jerry Lee, Perkins, Bo D et al) are the most important artists of the 50's while to the majority of contemporary, post Marcus crititics it will be jazzmen. I sense that rockabilly means less to younger generations, as blues and country.
Ps i forgot Ray Charles and the soul pionniers
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

I am in complete agreement with John here, and I think that what goes on a large scale also goes for the individual. When you are unaware of Elvis' "influences" you think he's the greatest ever but as you start exploring music further you realize that while he's good, he's definitely not the only person of importance in his genre.

The same argument could be made for Bob Marley; he's also someone you're bound to start with when you first enter the genre, but you soon realize that there's so much more. However, contrary to Elvis, I think Marley eventually does emerge as the greatest of his genre.
SuperFurry
Wannabe

Post by SuperFurry »

David Bowie
Ray Charles
Queen
PJ Harvey
Elliott Smith
Chuck Berry
Lou Reed
Elvis Presley

Apologies to OutKast, Arcade Fire & Sufjan.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Stephan, I agree on both counts; my fave rock'n'roll artist is not Elvis but Chuck
And yes Marley rules for his incredible string of albums and hits
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

There's a great review on RYM for the album Soul Revolution that I agree with wholeheartedly:
stereobread@RYM wrote:I think a lot of reggae fans go through 3 stages of development in their appreciation of the genre.

Stage 1) "Wow Bob Marley is amazing, he's the greatest thing ever, sure I've never heard any other Jamaican music besides Legend but I'm still going to grow my hair into dreads and listen to it on repeat while I smoke more ganja than Humboldt County and Jamaica combined could ever put out."

Stage 2) "Hey what do you know? Jamaica has been the origin of more than one musician, and some of these other guys are pretty good. Stage 1 people are kind of idiots aren't they? I think to distinguish myself from those idiots I'll stop listening to Bob Marley entirely and listen instead to all these other guys."

Stage 3) "Sure stage 1 people are idiots but stage 2 people are idiots for thinking that the quality of a given musicians fanbase should reflect on the quality of that musicians output. Bob Marley really is just as great as everyone says he is."

This record proves that Stage 3 people are wise.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

David Bowie
Ray Charles
Queen
OutKast
Arcade Fire
Guns ‘N Roses
Lou Reed
Elvis Presley
Rodelero147
Are You Experienced?

Post by Rodelero147 »

David Bowie
Kanye West
Def Leppard
PJ Harvey
Arcade Fire
Guns N' Roses
Sufjan Stevens
Eminem
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

nicolas wrote:The problem with Elvis is that he was only excellent for a couple of years, around his 1956 peak. At that time he was just divine, musically and for what he stood for : think about how many singers told in interviews how seeing him on TV changed their lives (the Beatles, Springsteen and many others). He was an icon, he mixed country and blues, black and white music. Of course if you're a music expert you'll find more skilled or deserving musicians in the same field (Chuck, Buddy Holly for some others) but no matter this guy during his Sun period and his first 2albums WAS rockn'roll. Just look at London Calling Cover art.
I agree with that. I think his Sun recordings hold up really well to the passing of time. I don't think his mid-fame singles held up quite as well, but also his stage persona seems distinctly a product of the 50s and comes off as kind of cheesy now.
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

RESULTS... (45) voters...

David Bowie over Motley Crue (40-5)
Ray Charles over Kanye West (24-21)
Queen over Def Leppard (36-8)
OutKast over PJ Harvey (23-22)
Arcade Fire over Elliott Smith (29-14)
Guns 'N Roses over Chuck Berry (23-22)
Lou Reed over Sufjan Stevens (27-17)
Elvis Presley over Eminem (33-12)
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

Three of the most important musicians of the 21st century have lost the match: PJ, Sufjan and Kanye
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Otisredding wrote:Three of the most important musicians of the 21st century have lost the match: PJ, Sufjan and Kanye
The question that arises in my mind is which of these three are "growers" and will be winning these match ups in years to come, and which will now fade to even wider or earlier loses in future match ups. My knowledge is not particularly good on any of these artists, but my guess is that PJ has the best chance of growing, and Sufjan has the least. But, as I stated, I am not nearly as familiar with any of these artists as others in the AM forum.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Dang, my vote would have given PJ Harvey a tie.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”