AMF Chart Week 9 2016

Vote for up to 5 of your favorite songs!

Poll ended at Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:00 pm

Anderson .Paak - "Put Me Thru"
4%
Car Seat Headrest - "Vincent"
2%
Courtney Barnett - "Three Packs a Day"
6%
David Bowie - "Lazarus"
12%
Dylan LeBlanc - "Look How Far We've Come"
3%
Emma Pollock - "Parks and Recreation"
3%
FKA twigs - "Good to Love"
6%
Grimes - "Artangels"
6%
Jain - "Come"
3%
Kanye West feat. Chance the Rapper - "Ultralight Beam"
6%
Lucinda Williams - "Ghosts of Highway 20"
3%
Lush - "Out of Control"
5%
The Magnettes - "Killers in a Ghost Town"
3%
PJ Harvey - "The Wheel"
10%
Ra Ra Riot feat. Rostam - "Water"
1%
Radiohead - "Spectre"
7%
Salad Boys - "No Taste Bomber"
3%
Savages - "Adore"
10%
School of Seven Bells - "Open Your Eyes"
4%
Triángulo de Amor Bizarro - "Baila Sumeria"
3%

Total votes: 118

Setherex
Movin' On Up

AMF Chart Week 9 2016

Post by Setherex »

Welcome to Week 9 of the AMF Chart! The chart where I'm out of things to say. Um. Happy Oscars day! :D

Here are your rankings for Week 8 (number of weeks on the chart so far in parentheses):
1. David Bowie - "Lazarus" (7)
2. PJ Harvey - "The Wheel" (5)
3. Savages - "Adore" (7)
4. Courtney Barnett - "Three Packs a Day" (2)
5. Radiohead - "Spectre" (7)
6. Grimes - "Artangels" (4)
7. Kanye West feat. Chance the Rapper - "Ultralight Beam" (1)
8. Anderson .Paak - "Put Me Thru" (2)
9. Lucinda Williams - "Ghosts of Highway 20" (1)
10. Triángulo de Amor Bizarro - "Baila Sumeria" (3)
11. Anderson .Paak - "Parking Lot" (1)
11. Pet Shop Boys - "The Pop Kids" (1)
13. Carly Rae Jepsen - "Emotion" (6)
14. Lucinda Williams - "Death Came" (1)
14. The Lumineers - "Ophelia" (1)
14. Prince - "Big City" (1)
17. Basia Bulat - "Infamous" (1)
17. Roly Porter - "Mass" (1)
17. William Parker - "For Fannie Lou Hamer" (1)
20. The Joy Formidable - "The Last Thing on My Mind" (2)
Votes: 100

The top 10 songs from last week's chart went through to this week's. The usual progression towards a new wave of future of Hall of Famers as it has been for a couple weeks, but also some sad personal losses on the chart this week. Good bye for now, CJeps! And I was also a big fan of the Joy Formidable song, so a gracious :music-rockon: to whoever's submission that was. David Bowie becomes the first artist to chart two songs on top this year, and it's surprising it took this long to do so. There's quite the disparity in votes between the top few songs and the rest of the pack, I wonder if that trend will continue...

2016 Chart-Toppers by Week (by vote count, not chart position; total weeks atop chart in parentheses):
1. David Bowie - "Blackstar" (2)
2. David Bowie - "Blackstar" (3)
3. David Bowie - "Blackstar" (4)
4. David Bowie - "Blackstar" (5)
5. PJ Harvey - "The Wheel"
6. PJ Harvey - "The Wheel" (2)
7. PJ Harvey - "The Wheel" (3)
8. David Bowie - "Lazarus"

2015 Hall of Fame (10 weeks of advancing votes; automatically retired from chart):
Björk - "Black Lake" (Weeks 4 - 13)
Courtney Barnett - "Pedestrian at Best" (Weeks 5 - 14)
Father John Misty - "I Love You, Honeybear" (Weeks 7 - 16)
Sufjan Stevens - "No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross" (Weeks 8 - 17)
Courtney Barnett - "Depreston" (Weeks 10 - 19)
Grimes - "REALiTi" (Demo) (Weeks 11 - 20)
Tame Impala - "Let It Happen" (Weeks 11 - 20)
Kendrick Lamar - "King Kunta" (Weeks 12 - 21)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - "Piss Crowns Are Trebled" (Weeks 13 - 22)
Alabama Shakes - "Gimme All Your Love" (Weeks 18 - 27)
Sufjan Stevens - "Fourth of July" (Weeks 18 - 27)
Tame Impala - "Eventually" (Weeks 22 - 31)
Florence + The Machine - "Ship to Wreck" (Weeks 24 - 33)
Beck - "Dreams" (Weeks 25 - 34)
Beach House - "Sparks" (Weeks 27 - 36)
Julia Holter - "Feel You" (Weeks 28 - 37)
CHVRCHES - "Leave a Trace" (Weeks 29 - 38)
Kacey Musgraves - "Biscuits" (Weeks 29 - 38)
Joanna Newsom - "Sapokanikan" (Weeks 33 - 42)
Deafheaven - "Brought to the Water" (Weeks 34 - 43)
Mbongwana Star - "Suzanna" (Weeks 34 - 43)
Julia Holter - "Sea Calls Me Home" (Weeks 37 - 46)
Joanna Newsom - "Leaving the City" (Weeks 39 - 48)
Julia Holter - "Silhouette" (Weeks 40 - 49)
Beach House - "Elegy to the Void" (Weeks 44 - 1)
Grimes - "Flesh Without Blood" (Weeks 44 - 1)
Grimes - "California" (Weeks 46 - 3)
Grimes - "Kill V. Maim" (Weeks 46 - 3)
Carly Rae Jepsen - "Run Away with Me" (Weeks 47 - 4)
David Bowie - "Blackstar" (Weeks 47 - 4)

Songs that entered the chart in 2015 will be added to the 2015 Hall of Fame, rather than the 2016 Hall of Fame.

Here is this week's 18-song Spotify chart (with 1 song included below via YouTube link, and 1 via external link):

Kanye West - "Ultralight Beam" (streaming on Tidal)
Here is your 2016 AMF Chart playlist of all songs on the chart so far this year:

Thank you all for voting and nominating continuously every week! Please don't be afraid to supply us with nominations - all songs six months old and younger (or who have received promotion via album/video/single in the last six months) are accepted! And seconding nominations by others gives those songs a better chance at making the next poll!

As per usual, the next poll will be created as close to Sunday at 20:00 UTC as I can make it. Best of voting! :D
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Re: AMF Chart Week 9 2016

Post by DaveC »

Nominations:-

1) yudachi - (die staadt) Norm
2) Mothers - Too Small for Eyes

Edit: While I'm in the nominating mood
3) Pinkshinyultrablast - The Cherry Pit
TimmyWing
Different Class

Post by TimmyWing »

I nominate "Sunday" by Iggy Pop.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Absolutely LOVING Jain... where does SHE comes from, now THAT's Pop Music - way ahead of Carly or Grimes.
Edit : LOL - just checked it, she's FRENCH ? ROMAIN, excellent choice !

Edit : I have FALLEN in Love with Jain. This is official. My kids think I am insane.

A couple of nominations for this week :

Promise and the Monster - Time of the Season : really quite impressive track from this Swedish band, there are some real whiffs of PJ Harvey, I think.

Undergrunnen - Blokkunge - whilst we are in the Nordic countries, let's try this Norwegian band - album released on Sep 4 2015, so within days of ineligibility (is that a word ?), which reminds me strongly of the best tracks of Amon Düul and Neu....

And I also second DaveC's nomination

Pinkshinyultrablast - The Cherry Pit
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I'd very much like to nominate "Your Best American Girl" by Mitski
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

spiritualized wrote:Absolutely LOVING Jain... where does SHE comes from, now THAT's Pop Music - way ahead of Carly or Grimes.
Edit : LOL - just checked it, she's FRENCH ? ROMAIN, excellent choice !

Edit : I have FALLEN in Love with Jain. This is official. My kids think I am insane.
Haha... thank you Spiritualized. it's what I think. It's exactly the same level of Call Me Maybe or Shake It Off for me... a real pop song.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

I'd like to nominate King's The Greatest.
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

acroamor wrote:I'd very much like to nominate "Your Best American Girl" by Mitski
I second this nomination. First song of 2016 I really liked.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sorry to bring up the rules again...

But I wonder if lots of people vote for basically the same 5 songs week after week? Many new songs are lucky to get any votes beyond the one who nominated it. Perhaps if we could vote for more than 5 songs it could give a more nuanced picture of what songs beyond the huge favorites that go through to next week.

I don't remember to what extent the number of options per voter has been discussed before.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

I agree with you Henrik - I try generally to vote for one or two "big" favourites, which I think deserve to be at the top, the rest is given to the newbies or underdogs. No vote for me for David Bowie for example this week :/ I also wished I could have had more than 5 votes to give a chance to Lush, but not enough voting power !

Think this needs to be tweaked, but my solution would be to integrate a pecking order in your votes. However, this may be complicated to administrate.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

I would like to nominate these songs ("highlights" in Mega Critic Chart 2016)

Tindersticks - We Are Dreamers!
Daughter - Alone/With You
Suede - Outsiders
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

I nominate "Jorja Smith - Blue lights"
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Henrik wrote:Sorry to bring up the rules again...

But I wonder if lots of people vote for basically the same 5 songs week after week? Many new songs are lucky to get any votes beyond the one who nominated it. Perhaps if we could vote for more than 5 songs it could give a more nuanced picture of what songs beyond the huge favorites that go through to next week.

I don't remember to what extent the number of options per voter has been discussed before.
I've thought about a way to fix this before - I very much wish there was a way to force voters to pick only 3 "old" songs maximum, or something along those lines, so as to divide up the votes a bit more. But even that seems a bit unfair.

But upping the amount of votes per week doesn't sound like a bad idea either, as long as the crowd approves of it! Everyone in / not in support of trying it out next week? And are we thinking, like, 7 votes, or?
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Setherex wrote:
Henrik wrote:Sorry to bring up the rules again...

I've thought about a way to fix this before - I very much wish there was a way to force voters to pick only 3 "old" songs maximum, or something along those lines, so as to divide up the votes a bit more. But even that seems a bit unfair.

But upping the amount of votes per week doesn't sound like a bad idea either, as long as the crowd approves of it! Everyone in / not in support of trying it out next week? And are we thinking, like, 7 votes, or?
Though to reiterate the con-side of the whole argument, I do still believe that the Chart currently represents out Forum tastes as a whole. There are plenty of songs that made the Hall of Fame last year, so much so that I don't think a change in Forum rules to increase them is entirely necessary. And the chart does seem to push in a few new songs each week, those usually being the best of the new songs, or the ones with name-brand artists to heighten popularity.

The thing that I see troubling, on occasion, are songs that go under most voters' radars. "Lazarus," for example, is a song that I nominated back in December, and didn't do all that well despite its incredible composition. It had to be re-nominated to make the waves on the chart it is now. That may be a bad example, because obviously later events spurred it on, but there are other songs that I think our voters aren't giving a chance until those songs actually make it through for 1 week.

School of Seven Bells' "Open Your Eyes" is another example of this, a song that I nominated in November/December, received 0 votes, and is now gathering a supportive fanbase post-album release.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I suggest that everyone can vote for 10 songs. It's the maximum number of songs to vote for, so those who want to vote for fewer songs can always do this.

It would also make sense to me that one is able to vote for the same number of songs as what will advance to the next round.

Having said that, if anyone should be blamed for the current rules I'm sure it's me, as I decided to use 5 songs from the beginning.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

I think Henriks original question is very relevant tho - do people feel the need to vote for the same songs week in week out ? And if so, is this because of a lack of time / willingness ?
I always make sure that I listen to all the songs every week, even the ones I have already listened to. I usually hav at least 7-8 first choices and then whittle them down by comparing them between themselves. It is time consuming, but it gives every song a chance...not sure everyone will have the courage to do so, only Setherex can confirm by looking at the stats, I guess...then again, there's only 20 of us or so voting....
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

spiritualized wrote:I think Henriks original question is very relevant tho - do people feel the need to vote for the same songs week in week out ? And if so, is this because of a lack of time / willingness ?
I always make sure that I listen to all the songs every week, even the ones I have already listened to. I usually hav at least 7-8 first choices and then whittle them down by comparing them between themselves. It is time consuming, but it gives every song a chance...not sure everyone will have the courage to do so, only Setherex can confirm by looking at the stats, I guess...then again, there's only 20 of us or so voting....
Oh, I don't have any of those stats, haha. I only have the vote count per song, as everyone does ;)

But anyway, I'm supportive of Henrik's suggestion to up the vote count to 10 if others are! At least as a test run for a bit. In my head, however, I don't see it necessarily making a difference - newer songs won't get more votes more often, necessarily, all the vote counts across the board (except the ones at the top of the charts) will simply increase by 2 times.

What I think would be a long-term solution to the bias problem is a way to encourage voters to listen to intently listen to all of the new tracks before voting, and the only way I've thought of to do that so far is by encouraging more discussion of the currently votable songs in the topic. High support for a new song in the thread will ideally make more readers pay attention to the choices.

And on that same note, I am disappointed in all of you for not giving Car Seat Headrest's "Vincent" more (read: "any") praise. It's a Setherex-favorite at the moment :music-listening:
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Even great songs that initially get a lot of votes in the beginning end up falling out. I might be thinking of "Stonemilker" at this minute... Also "Only One" was also an initial huge hit on this forum then it plummeted.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Per the conversation above, I must admit that I voted every single week for the first year or so. However, at some point, I stopped voting altogether because I noticed that the same songs were dominating week after week, while a lot of hidden gems were gone in the blink of an eye. What was even worse to me, though, is that it was usually songs by the same handful of popular forum artists that kept advancing! Even when it was an artist I liked a lot (Grimes, for example), I couldn't help but feel sorry for the lesser known songs/artists that didn't stand a chance. And, although it was probably just in my head, when it was an artist I didn't particularly care for (I apologize, but I'm really missing the boat on Courtney Barnett - nearly every one of her songs sound exactly the same to me), it seemed that every song of theirs made the Hall of Fame.

Personally, I like the proposed change to vote for up to 10 songs. This would allow people to vote for both established favorites, as well as new songs that may take a while to grow on other voters. I would like to start voting again, and if it is changed to ten songs, I would probably just vote for the songs I genuinely love each week. (In the beginning, I had trouble limiting my votes to only 5; by the time I stopped voting, I could barely find 5 I felt passionate enough to vote for.) This way, I might vote for 3 songs some weeks, and 6-10 on others. It would definitely give all voters additional flexibility, and brand new songs a chance against the established titans.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

This chart introduces 10 new songs each week. The selection process - via Mega Critic & forum nominations, ensures that those selections are interesting and worth a listen. I don't really care which songs are carried over to the next week. I do vote, but I don't worry about it too much; Mainly I vote to show my appreciation of Setherex for managing the chart and for nominators going to the trouble (as I rarely nominate myself). This week four of the songs I voted are sure to exit and one is on the cusp. Other times all five songs I vote get carried forward. Sometimes songs I think are great get cast aside, but that is sure to happen with consensus voting. (It is a mystery to me that Nadine Shah's Fool didn't make the hall of fame, but I'm not perturbed.) I wouldn't call it bias, just other people having different opinions. I do actually bias towards new songs, but again mainly to encourage nominators. I don't mind if the voting mechanism is changed or not. I just want the chart to continue.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

This is my case:

I almost never vote for the veteran songs.
I proposed at the outset that the maximum weeks of a song in the list is 5 weeks
On the other hand I do not agree to force people to vote for new songs. Each person is responsible for his choice.

That's right:
a) I recommend everyone to give opportunity to the news.
b) Limit the maximum of weeks: 5
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

I wish that the amount of time limit for the song being chosen was within an year of the release date, and not 6 months, because songs that one finds in EOY lists, that were actually released earlier in the year are thus not allowed otherwise.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I just wanted to clarify (and this is the very first thing I should've said in my initial post) that I still listen to the songs every week and am extremely grateful to Setherex for the hard work he puts into keeping it running, as it's an invaluable source for discovering new music. In the context of the conversation, I just wanted to say that a lot of the concerns expressed were the reasons I ultimately quit voting. However, I still look forward to listening to all the new songs each week, and if the choice is between leaving everything as is or the chart ending altogether, I will happily go with the first option!
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Second nomination : "Ödland – Comète".
Thank you Setherex.
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Sturgill Simpson - Brace For Impact (Live A Little)
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Case/lang/veirs - "Atomic Number"
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Chambord wrote:
acroamor wrote:I'd very much like to nominate "Your Best American Girl" by Mitski
I second this nomination. First song of 2016 I really liked.
This song is incredible, so a high support from me.
DocBrown wrote:Case/lang/veirs - "Atomic Number"
And another for you! :)
Rdwdbob wrote:Sturgill Simpson - Brace For Impact (Live A Little)
And one more. So many good things this week!

So it seems that the general consensus here is to at least give the new voting count idea a shot - next week, everyone will be able to vote for 10 possible songs out of the 20. Of course, you can choose to use all 10, or choose to only use 1, but at the very least, listening to all of the available songs and basing your opinion on your own preferences is encouraged.

And with that, my reminder to get your votes, nominations, and seconding nominations in before all that happens tomorrow. My noms for the week:

M83 - "Do It, Try It"
The Kills - "Doing It to Death"
Kristin Kontrol - "X-Communicate"

(Going to try to ponder Kendrick's many offerings before making a more justified pick next week...)
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

I nominate "The Sound" by The 1975, a band which has recently piqued my interest with the full-on, unashamed, 1980's cheese-glory of their recent singles, as opposed to the relatively tame pop-rock of their debut. Fans of Carly Rae Jepsen's recent output will enjoy this one.
tombeet
Strange Fruit

Post by tombeet »

haha, interesting on the number of voting conversation; but in my opinion I will stick to the 5 choice voting. Yes people keep voting for the same songs week over week; but it kinda reflects the popularity of that particular songs as well, so give the limit to older songs seems unfair. On the other hands, too much vote will give you the idea of "vote anything you like", and you would vote for every song that you liked enough but not loved. 5-songs voting allow you only to vote for the songs that you really support.

And this week my nominations are:
Azealia Banks - The Big Big Heat
Esperanza Spalding - Earth to Heaven
White Lung - Hungry

and I second Kristin Kontrol - X-Communicate
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

I nominate "Prayers/Triangles" by Deftones.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”