The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

VanillaFire1000
Let's Get It On

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by VanillaFire1000 »

Did my ballot get counted? I gave it in as a PM and never got a response.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

VanillaFire1000 wrote:Did my ballot get counted? I gave it in as a PM and never got a response.
Yes, saw your name on page 3 ! (I keep an eye on voters who have tastes relatively similar to mine ;) )
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

JimmyJazz wrote:I do hope everyone will chill out about the results one way or the other. During the rollout, I will make one thing clear: NO CONTROVERSIES.
This. While I of course want to encourage comments on the results, I really hope everyone will stay calm.

I'm sure we're all thrilled by the new voting record, so let's be happy at that.

For something beyond the main results, I hope we can skip the regular and lurker terms. My suggestion is to look at changes between 2013 and 2016 using only those who participated in both polls. Both the 2013 and 2016 results would then have to be reduced to the two-time voters, I don't know if this would be feasible. This would be a true within-subject analysis, showing how the group of recurring individuals have changed after 3 years of discussions and participations in other polls.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Henrik wrote: For something beyond the main results, I hope we can skip the regular and lurker terms. My suggestion is to look at changes between 2013 and 2016 using only those who participated in both polls. Both the 2013 and 2016 results would then have to be reduced to the two-time voters, I don't know if this would be feasible. This would be a true within-subject analysis, showing how the group of recurring individuals have changed after 3 years of discussions and participations in other polls.
I can send the results of the 2013 poll including only people who also voted this year ! Will do once the countdown is finished.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Is everyone still tied as Justin Bieber's #1 fan, or was that more of a phase?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Henrik wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote:I do hope everyone will chill out about the results one way or the other. During the rollout, I will make one thing clear: NO CONTROVERSIES.
This. While I of course want to encourage comments on the results, I really hope everyone will stay calm.

I'm sure we're all thrilled by the new voting record, so let's be happy at that.

For something beyond the main results, I hope we can skip the regular and lurker terms. My suggestion is to look at changes between 2013 and 2016 using only those who participated in both polls. Both the 2013 and 2016 results would then have to be reduced to the two-time voters, I don't know if this would be feasible. This would be a true within-subject analysis, showing how the group of recurring individuals have changed after 3 years of discussions and participations in other polls.

That would actually be really interesting, more so than my idea - unfortunately I skipped the 2013 artist poll after doing the song poll in 2012, having decided I wasn't a central enough member of the forum to contribute. I realized last night I have an unhealthy view of where I do or don't belong, and I guess I thought most people viewed these things the same way. It's the same reason I suddenly skip voting in some tourneys - if I miss a week or don't notice it until a few weeks in, I feel like my sudden entrance or return would be invasive, as if it would skew the data - when I'm pretty sure everyone else just wants to see more voters. That's been my biggest struggle with Moderately Acclaimed; I don't always have time to listen to new albums, so I even end up skipping weeks where I've already heard a match or two, and thus end up even more likely to stop voting.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Henrik wrote:

Alrighty. But I do think that the argument last time was quite a lot of fun.
Last edited by luney6 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

I pinkie promise not to have a nervous breakdown when Jacques Brel drops out of the top 100 due to the larger number of participants.

Two other comments: Thank you (and congratulations) JimmyJazz for the record number of voters. I hope you are persuing a career where you can utilize your ability to persuade. And BleuPanda, I don't think you're misunderstood very often. Even if people occasionally don't get you or disagree with what you're saying, I think your contribution to the forum is valued highly by many people.

Fingers crossed for an exciting rollout during which AMFers (new and veteran) will peacefully agree to disagree.
...will keep us together.
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Henrik wrote: ... I hope we can skip the regular and lurker terms. My suggestion is to look at changes between 2013 and 2016 using only those who participated in both polls. Both the 2013 and 2016 results would then have to be reduced to the two-time voters, I don't know if this would be feasible. This would be a true within-subject analysis, showing how the group of recurring individuals have changed after 3 years of discussions and participations in other polls.
:romance-grouphug:

Henrik, a career in the diplomatic service awaits you. From someone fairly new to those who have said they've worked up the courage to post for the 1st time, welcome.

Personally I've got a few cheesy ones in there. I'd be disappointed not to get some stick.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

BleuPanda, I'm glad you liked my idea, even though you didn't participate in the 2013 poll - I wasn't aware of that.

And yes, welcome all new forumers (including first-time posters, first-time voters and still-lurkers)!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Back to a discussion of the list, am I the only one more curious about which of their entrants ended up the lowest than the highest? I guess it might be because of my generally strong correlation to the forum polls, but the fact I can only think of a handful that would miss a top 500 makes me want to know which of my picks are actually unique to me. I think I can narrow it down to 2, maybe 3 bands; I know for sure there's another fan of one of the acts on the forum, but the other 2 seem more likely to have fans unknown to me.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Dan wrote:I pinkie promise not to have a nervous breakdown when Jacques Brel drops out of the top 100 due to the larger number of participants.
This newcomer has Jacques Brel at #25 so it won't be his fault.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I think I voted Brel and didn't last time.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

My comment was kind of a joke, so I'm sorry if I added fuel to the fire here. I think your perspective makes sense, BleuPanda. It will be interesting to see the two different lists, regardless of whether I qualify for the regulars one.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

It's great to see quite a lot of new participants, welcome to all of them!

On another note, if we'd like to see a list with a bit more obscure artists, I would suggest filtering the half most conformist voters from the half most unique voters, regardless of seniority. I think that could be an interesting list, some sort of 'shadow' list.

Anyway, looking forward to the general list.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Reading through the latest conversation in this thread, I became curious about just how much my list correlated to the AM list. I don't think I'm giving anything away by these statistics, but I was shocked to see that (while the order is significantly jumbled), I do have a lot more of the top artists on my list than I would've thought:

1-100: 45 (Nearly half!) :o
101-500: 27
501-1000: 7
1001-2000: 4
2001-3000: 3
Not ranked: 4
Not included at all on AM: 10

Personally, I never worry about how people vote. The only two things I always hope for are:
1) That people who do vote only for specific eras/genres are at least willing to give music from others a listen and a fair chance. (This forum has always been incredibly open-minded in this respect.)
2. And, equally importantly, that people are always completely honest about their tastes when voting. (I think Moonbeam addressed this once.) We all can't help what we like, and no one should ever be ashamed of it. I think most people know that I love nearly all types of music, but my guiltiest pleasure is the female-fronted pop-metal bands (Nightwish, Within Temptation, Evanescence), which all made appearances on my last list (and, yes, a few people did comment on it, but no one in a negative way), and they're all back this time, too. If nothing else, it should make any new voters more comfortable with their own lists, because these severely-unacclaimed bands might be difficult to top! ;)
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I like the new ideas and suggestions however let's do it after the rollout of the main list. It's already been a week, more or less, past the deadline and the results aren't out yet so let's not burden the host with more work. Let him do the presentation (which I'm sure will be terrific), submit the spreadsheet containing the data of the 60+ voters and let the others who are experts in correlations and whatnots to present shadow lists.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I was considering resubmitting my list right at the end of the submission period, but I didn't make my decision on time. Anyways, I wanted to try out what jamieW did on my new list:
jamieW wrote:Reading through the latest conversation in this thread, I became curious about just how much my list correlated to the AM list. I don't think I'm giving anything away by these statistics, but I was shocked to see that (while the order is significantly jumbled), I do have a lot more of the top artists on my list than I would've thought:

1-100: 45 (Nearly half!) :o
1001-2000: 4
Not included at all on AM: 10
MIne is actually pretty similar! I decided to simplify it.
1-100: 45
101-500: 29
501-1000: 8
1001-NR: 12
N/A: 6

EDIT: I think listing out your artists who aren't in AM at all would give some insight into your personality! I would like do just that.
Out of the six, I have 3 soundtrack/score composers: Joe Hisaishi, John Williams, Andrew Lloyd Webber
One classical (not submitted to this poll for pre-discussed reasons): Pyotr Tchaikovsky
One mainstream rock: Daughtry (first album I ever bought)
One comedy/satire: Weird Al
Last edited by prosecutorgodot on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Continuing with this little exercice:

1-100: 47
101-200: 23
201-500: 13
501-1000: 11
1001-NR: 6

Interesting data. That's actually pretty encouraging since when I first stumbled unto this site about ten years ago, my stats were probably even closer to the top 100 than they are today. Unless some of the recent artists I've put in my list rise into the top 100 in the next three years, I can only see this part decrease. I'll keep this set of data somewhere for comparison.

Also of note: my top 100-featured artists are vastly reshuffled in terms of ranks in my list, with only a certain jazz artist and a certain pop diva falling very close to their actual rank in AM's list.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Mine broken down that way would be...embarrassing. Since I started listening to albums after discovering this site, and I'm still making my way through the top 3000 albums (though over halfway through), a lot of what I have listened to is by artists featured highly on this site. So my correlation to this main list is rather high because there's little outside that range I have enough experience with; who knows how much would correlate once I move beyond this site?

This feeling is still weird to me; I feel entirely undereducated on the subject matter, yet no one in my real-life circle even really listens to albums, outside of a handful of favorite artists. Frankly, this odd middle position might have given me a music-based imposter syndrome; a source of musical knowledge among friends while wildly behind the people I actually discuss music with.

Oh well...let's see what happens when someone has only really listened to albums in the top 2000 on this site and bases their list partially on a formula (it doesn't help I've gone out of the way to listen to everything featured on this site by the top artists):
1-100: 70
101-200: 19
201-500: 9
501-1000: 1
Unranked: 1

And I'm pretty sure we all agree my unranked artist is one of the all-time greats; it's just an issue of who critic lists represent. And, of my sub-100 group, 5 of the artists have had major releases since the last site update, so they very easily could shift into a higher category.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Here's mine broken down:

1-100: 40
101-200: 15
201-500: 21
501-1000: 10
1001-3000: 12
Not Ranked: 1
Not Included on AM: 1
Last edited by Bang Jan on Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

BleuPanda wrote:This feeling is still weird to me; I feel entirely undereducated on the subject matter, yet no one in my real-life circle even really listens to albums, outside of a handful of favorite artists. Frankly, this odd middle position might have given me a music-based imposter syndrome; a source of musical knowledge among friends while wildly behind the people I actually discuss music with.
I feel that, most people in my private circle consider me as the guy who knows everything about music but coming around here is really humbling, I feel like a complete ignorant compared to some people ! (well, I guess for music from the past 20 years I am a bit less behind).

Considering my list, I am a bit further from AM (though I guess if you made a list of most acclaimed acts from the 90s, 00s and 2010s in AM, I'd already get significantly closer).

1-100: 29
101-200: 18
201-500: 24
501-1000: 15
Below 1000 : 3
Bubbling : 5
Unranked : 6

Quite a lot in the 201-500, but it's not my fault if the Wu-Tang, Sleater-Kinney, Modest Mouse, Built to Spill and Fugazi are ranked that low !
Of my 7 unranked, 3 are French (as is 1 bubbling, definitely not bubbling for the right song), 2 are relics of my "angry white boy" phase and 1 is a german hip-hop puppet band which I guess isn't exactly the description most likely to get you in AM...
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

1-100: 45
101-500: 31
501-1000: 9
1001-NR: 6
N/A: 9
I feel like that
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

1-100: 36
501-1000: 16
1001-2000: 8
Unranked: 10
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Fun exercise to compare to the AM list! I'll look to see how my results have changed from across the last 3 polls (2010-2013-2016):

1-100: (30-26-27)
101-500: (34-32-33)
501-1000: (14-15-13)
1001-2000: (6-6-5)
2001-3000: (7-9-9)
Not ranked: (2-2-2)
Not included at all on AM: (6-10-11)

Excited to see the results.
EmilienDelRey
Unquestionable Presence

Post by EmilienDelRey »

1-100: 44
101-500: 42
501-1000: 5
1001-2000: 5
Unranked: 1
N/A: 3
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

1-100: 37
101-500: 36
501-1,000: 18
1,001-2,000: 4
2,001-3,000: 1
Not included at all on AM: 0 (though my 101st is not included)

& per last AMF poll:

1-100: 38
101-500: 35
501-1,009: 13
Not included: 14
Last edited by JohnnyBGoode on Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

I was going through my list for the correlations and I REALIZED I HAD FORGOTTEN OTIS REDDING! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Good idea!

1-100: 32
101-500: 45
1001-3000: 3
Not included at all on AM: 6

Errrrr... Still a lot to explore outside of the top 500, both within and definitely also outside of AM. Definitely need to branch out more! Always good to stay aware of that.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

One thing I've noticed - I'm ranking all of these artists off what I have experienced. It creates this situation where I've heard every single major album by Roxy Music vs. only half of Sleater-Kinney's (due to their placement on the AM list - Roxy Music has 6 top 1000 while Sleater-Kinney has 2 + the obvious No Cities to Love). Right now, in my artist file, Roxy Music has a rather small lead, but I'm practically 100% certain the remaining Sleater-Kinney albums will give them a steep advantage. That's probably one thing I should have considered; how many of the artists that nearly missed my list still have big hits I haven't gotten around to yet? It probably would have been smart of me to give a boost to such artists, since it would likely better reflect my taste, and get me further away from the AM top 100. It's already bad enough comparing artists currently in the middle of their career to those who have already established their legacy.

Also, does anyone else have an artist they really love that they couldn't vote for? As you can probably tell by my Overlooked nominations, I really dig Kathleen Hanna, but neither Bikini Kill nor Le Tigre are anywhere near my top 100 artists on their own, though they easily place when combined.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Funny stats :

1-100: 26
101-500: 23
501-1000: 9
1001-2000: 13
2001-3000: 2
Not ranked: 5
Not included at all on AM: 22

P.S. : I found one error in my first list.
Last edited by Romain on Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

BleuPanda wrote:Also, does anyone else have an artist they really love that they couldn't vote for? As you can probably tell by my Overlooked nominations, I really dig Kathleen Hanna, but neither Bikini Kill nor Le Tigre are anywhere near my top 100 artists on their own, though they easily place when combined.
I have an opposite scenario with one I probably voted for too much. In fact, I haven't done any calculations, but if I were to combine the work of Joy Division, New Order and Electronic, Bernard Sumner might actually end up as my all-time favorite artist.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I didn't really think that I would be closer to AM than almost everybody else...

1-100: 61
101-500: 23
1001-3000: 4
Not ranked: 2
Not included at all on AM: 3

The artists outside AM's top 100 are mostly non-UK/US artists.
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

Interesting comparison!!

1-100 = 38
101-500 = 41
501-1000 = 10
1001-3000 = 7
Not Ranked/Bubbling Under = 1
Not included on AM = 3

It appears that almost everyone's list contains a majority of artists in the top two tiers. I am not surprised because this site has definitely influenced what I listen to. I am sure it has for others too. This site has opened me up to so many new artists and songs that I never would have experienced, if not for AM. For that, I thank you!!

The comparison tells me that I need to open myself open to more music and different artists. 79% of my artists are in the top 500. I'm sorry for being a "lurker" but I am a very shy person and sometimes I feel like my knowledge is overshadowed by some very knowledgeable folks on this site. I'm definitely not an expert in music but I do enjoy it very much. It can make me happy at times, and other times, it can make me sad. It has always been a big part of my life. Music is such a vibrant, living thing, full of emotions.

I promise I will try to be active on the forums. I have not joined many of the polls because they appear to be an ongoing weekly survey in progress. I don't feel comfortable just joining in and interjecting because I was not there in the beginning. I don't want to mess up the results. I hope that makes sense. Anyhow, I have been a fan for a long time and I love this site. I've admired from afar, so to speak. I saw this poll and it was too delicious to pass up and decided what the hell!

I am very anxious to see the results and how it all shakes out.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

1-100 = 48
101-500 = 13
501-1000 = 14
1001-3000 = 14
Not ranked = 4
Not included = 7

Same as Henrik, mostly non UK/US artists outside the top 100.
From the inputs gathered I think, except for half of the artists in the top 100, we're gonna have one unpredictable and entertaining roll-out.
Romain wrote:Not included at all on AM: 23
Woah!
BleuPanda wrote:Also, does anyone else have an artist they really love that they couldn't vote for?
Eric Clapton. Cream most likely would be in my top 150, his solo work in the top 300.
Neil wrote:I'm sorry for being a "lurker" but I am a very shy person and sometimes I feel like my knowledge is overshadowed by some very knowledgeable folks on this site. I'm definitely not an expert in music but I do enjoy it very much.
Don't be sorry. I bet them knowledgeable folks started out like you do and music is always a continuing education. Despite some misguided or misunderstood posts/replies I think all of the members here are friendly and accommodating so don't sweat the small stuff. With that, I'm looking forward to your future posts. Cheers!
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Neil wrote:I'm sorry for being a "lurker" but I am a very shy person and sometimes I feel like my knowledge is overshadowed by some very knowledgeable folks on this site.
I think my first poll contribution was for the year of 1980, after two guys who posted their top 75 albums. And I had a top 5. It only gets better, man!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I think I've figured out a better term for the type of people I was talking about: the passersby. People with no investment in the forum, who only contribute because the poll happens to be going on when they took a brief glance at the forum; someone more concerned with their favorites doing well than being part of the group the poll represents. It shouldn't be a problem with this size (there's even a strong possibility no one falls into this category), but under certain extremes it can create an issue.

An obvious example is the last GameFAQs Contest. While it was happening, a group of Tumblr users rallied behind Undertale. This group was large enough to outnumber the GameFAQs voters; however, the site only saw increased traffic during the days where Undertale was in the match. This group didnt contribute to the rest of the contest, and barely any stuck around after the fact. Undertale won, but is it really fair to say the GameFAQs voters consider Undertale the greatest game ever if another site decided for them? It essentially killed interests in their contests, because the main base no longer had an investment in who won because it entirely depended on which random internet group decided to rally.

So, you could look at the number and say twice as many people voted in that final match, and argue that's statistically more significant, but with the context, it actually isn't. If the poll intended to reveal gamefaqs favorite game, the validity of the results had actually been compromised by these added numbers.

I hope this post does a better job clearing up what I mean. If you have lurked here for a while or want to join in on our little forum, I consider you part of our community. Though I'm still interested in what our forum regulars have to say, Henrik has come up with a much better way to interpret that data that doesn't arbitrarily exclude. The only people I have problems with in this specific situation likely would have already left, never to be heard from again (they may or may not check in on the final results); my problem earlier stems from the fact that they pass as lurkers, and it appeared I was insulting literally everyone here.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Dexter wrote:
Romain wrote:Not included at all on AM: 23
Woah!
Not difficult : French artists (7) + Music Films Composers (7) + some foreigner artist not in AM (5 of them really surpised me when I see thay are not here). :mrgreen:
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

1-100: 49
101-500: 33
501-1000: 3
1001-3000: 2
Not included at all on AM: 9

Fun exercise. I have a higher correlation with AM than I thought. Also surprising that I have no artists from 1200-3000.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Hey BleuPanda. One of my favourite authors is Virginia Wolf. She is particularly illuminating about the way our expressions depend upon our priors, whilst other folks - not having our experiences - will (mis)interpret through their own prior based filters. Don't worry about it too much, we've all been there. Keep on keeping on, you are one of the good guys.
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

jamieW wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:Also, does anyone else have an artist they really love that they couldn't vote for? As you can probably tell by my Overlooked nominations, I really dig Kathleen Hanna, but neither Bikini Kill nor Le Tigre are anywhere near my top 100 artists on their own, though they easily place when combined.
I have an opposite scenario with one I probably voted for too much. In fact, I haven't done any calculations, but if I were to combine the work of Joy Division, New Order and Electronic, Bernard Sumner might actually end up as my all-time favorite artist.
Yep he'd by higher in mine too, as would the likes of Paul Weller, Neil Finn etc.
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Dexter wrote: From the inputs gathered I think, except for half of the artists in the top 100, we're gonna have one unpredictable and entertaining roll-out.
You're assuming we've voted for the same 50 or so. I, for one, didn't vote for the 1/2 of the top 10.
Last edited by JohnnyBGoode on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Neil wrote: The comparison tells me that I need to open myself open to more music and different artists. 79% of my artists are in the top 500. I'm sorry for being a "lurker" but I am a very shy person and sometimes I feel like my knowledge is overshadowed by some very knowledgeable folks on this site. I'm definitely not an expert in music but I do enjoy it very much. It can make me happy at times, and other times, it can make me sad. It has always been a big part of my life. Music is such a vibrant, living thing, full of emotions.
Welcome to AM !
First I don't think it's shocking that most of your artists are in the top 500, I mean there is a good reason why there are in there !
As far as I'm concerned, there is only one band on AM top 100 that probably doesn't deserve a "very best of all time" place, and I actually ranked it in my own top 100 (but from a "trying to be neutral" point of view, I don't think they have a solid enough legacy for that... especially compared to the band that ended #101).
So sure, a lot of us have favorite outsiders that stuck a personal chord with us, but I feel that even if I knew 2, 3 or 10 times more bands, overall those in the top 500 would still dominate.
A lot of us who have more artists outside of it are from non English speaking country and it happens that a lot of relatively well known artists in our homelands are not ranked in AM. And anyway, we are all AMers because we think the main list makes sense.

Anyway, you probably have more knowledge of music than I did when I started posting in 2007. I couldn't do more than a top 5 albums for 97 (in one of my very first posts), which is now probably my favorite year ever in music and I now could make a top 20 of it while still forgetting a couple big favorite. But whatever knowledge I now have, I still feel way behind lots of folks around here (and I actually still skip pretty much any pre-1980 poll as I don't feel I can contribute enough). But whenever I really care (hello 90s and 00s), I'll give it a go anyway !
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

JohnnyBGoode wrote:
Dexter wrote: From the inputs gathered I think, except for half of the artists in the top 100, we're gonna have one unpredictable and entertaining roll-out.
You're assuming we've voted for the same 50 or so. I, for one, didn't vote for the 1/2 of the top 10.
The "except for half..." part was just my own hypothesis not derived by the data above but based on the previous polls. I expect at least half of the artists in the previous top 100 poll to remain there and I'm willing to bet on it (is betting allowed? lol).
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Dexter wrote:I expect at least half of the artists in the previous top 100 poll to remain there and I'm willing to bet on it (is betting allowed? lol).
To misquote no.100 last time (& transport them across the Atlantic) it may depend on "The State I Am In"
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

One fun bit is I'm 99% sure, even though me and Henrik appear to be the ones with the most artists from the top 100, my favorite from that range is likely nowhere near Henrik's list (unless something has massively changed since I last heard his opinion on the band). There's a possibility we have the bands the other doesn't. Hell, I think at this extreme, it'd be more interesting to explore the artists from the top we didn't even consider - unfortunately, I'm not as interested in negative opinions as I am positive ones.

For me, Duke Ellington is an artist I constantly forget is in the top 100 - not that I dislike Duke Ellington, but his body of work doesn't contain many high-ranking works; he just has a whole ton of stuff which I haven't gotten around to yet.

After 6 albums, Roxy Music's high ranking has always boggled my mind, but even then, they do have a fair amount of points on my own system. I think a large part of that is that I really like Avalon, but most of their other work hasn't really clicked. However, I used to feel the same way about former Roxy Music member Brian Eno, so I might need to give them another chance.

I think there's only one band I truly dislike from the top 100, and that's AC/DC; I feel they're a band very aware of their own coolness, but I'm the type of person who finds that type of awareness uncool. They dive straight into the harder side of rock and I guess that sound has never done as much for me as it does to others.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

JimmyJazz is very busy :shock:
Michel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Michel »

1-100: 37
101-500: 29
501-1000: 14
1001-3000: 10
Not ranked: 5
Not included at all on AM: 5
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Despite my efforts to explore music beyond the AM lists (especially in the fields of folk and world music), I also have a high correlation with the AM artist list - 79 of my top 100 are in the AM top 500. The artists in my top 100 that are outside the AM top 500 are mostly "world music" artists.

One issue with the way I compiled my list is that I placed much more emphasis on albums than individual songs. There are some artists of whom I can't say that I truly love a lot of their songs, but who I feel have made consistently good albums (Wilco being an example of this). I tried to make adjustments for pre-1960 artists (when significantly less albums were released), but I probably need to make more changes to my calculations next time in order to not disadvantage world music (and other) artists who released great songs but not many albums.

And hey, artists on the AM list are there because they're bloody good!

1-100: 53
101-500: 26
1001-3000: 8
Not ranked: 0
Not included at all on AM: 3 (Cartola, Paulinho da Viola and Goran Bregović)
...will keep us together.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Yes, why not list our top 100 artists that are not included at all on AM, like Dan did. They probably won't have too much to do with the final results anyway.

For me it's Fat Freddy's Drop, Benjamin Biolay and Anouar Brahem.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”