The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

User avatar
Dexter
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:04 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Dexter »

Karla wrote:Hi everyone, this is my first participation in the forum.

I took courage and sent my list. Hope there's still time.
Welcome to AMF Karla! Well done for that show of courage. Hopefully, this is the first of many participation in the forum. It's great that AMF have new female members (I assume you're one) contributing since I think (and feel) its rather male-dominated.
User avatar
babydoll
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 969
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by babydoll »

JimmyJazz wrote:63 ballots now!
:o
User avatar
JimmyJazz
Full of Fire
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 am
Location: Arizona

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by JimmyJazz »

Only four hours left over on my end everyone!
User avatar
JimmyJazz
Full of Fire
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 am
Location: Arizona

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by JimmyJazz »

64 ballots with Georgie's!
User avatar
JimmyJazz
Full of Fire
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 am
Location: Arizona

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by JimmyJazz »

Got Toni's revised ballot.
User avatar
JimmyJazz
Full of Fire
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 am
Location: Arizona

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by JimmyJazz »

POLL IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED

64 ballots fellow forumers, this is the best turnout for a poll (I believe) we have ever had!!! It will take a bit for me to sort the list overall out, as well prepare formatting. The results will probably come sometime next week, as things are very busy over on my end. I will also inform everyone if this thing will be a Top 100 or a Top 200 for a change (which may lead to even more time spent!)

In the mean time, everyone can speculate on the results for this year!
User avatar
Dexter
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:04 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Dexter »

JimmyJazz wrote:POLL IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED

64 ballots fellow forumers, this is the best turnout for a poll (I believe) we have ever had!!! It will take a bit for me to sort the list overall out, as well prepare formatting. The results will probably come sometime next week, as things are very busy over on my end. I will also inform everyone if this thing will be a Top 100 or a Top 200 for a change (which may lead to even more time spent!)

In the mean time, everyone can speculate on the results for this year!
Excellent job, Jimmy Jazz! the record turnout wouldn't have been possible without your efforts and considering the number of voters in this poll a Top 200 would not be so skewed by a few votes with high rankings so take your time, I prefer a Top 200 over a Top 100.
Nassim
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2053
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:35 pm
Location: Lille (France)

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Nassim »

JimmyJazz wrote: In the mean time, everyone can speculate on the results for this year!
Well, I know it's a longshot and you might call me crazy, but I think the Beatles will be #1.
Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2778
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Jirin »

Nassim wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote: In the mean time, everyone can speculate on the results for this year!
Well, I know it's a longshot and you might call me crazy, but I think the Beatles will be #1.
I think you may be right. And call it a hunch, but I think just perhaps, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Bowie and Prince will land toward the top.
Henry
Full of Fire
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Henry »

My least favorite in the last poll's top 100 will likely be in this year's top 200. But, will any of them drop below 100?

The numbers corresponding to each act are their placement in the most recent artists poll (2013):

21. Tom Waits
46. Public Enemy
58. Nick Cave
91. Pavement

It appears that only Pavement would be at risk of declining out of the top 100 as far as I can tell. Let's see if Brad still places Pavement as his top artist of all-time.

Tom Waits lovers form the 2013 poll include: pauldrach (2), Gillingham (5), Dan (6), nicolas (5), kingoftonga (8), Merlo (13), and DocBrown (14).

Public Enemy lovers from the 2013 poll include: Jackson (12), Otisredding (15), sonfosamiam (17), PlasticRam (17), Poliuks (22), and Mattceinicram (24).

Nick Cave lovers from the 2013 poll include: DaveC (5), Otisredding (14), Brad (18), Michel (19), and Merlo (20).

I wonder how many of these folks have submitted ballots for our 2016 artists poll.
User avatar
Pierre
Feeling Good
Posts: 1977
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Pierre »

Jirin wrote:
Nassim wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote: In the mean time, everyone can speculate on the results for this year!
Well, I know it's a longshot and you might call me crazy, but I think the Beatles will be #1.
I think you may be right. And call it a hunch, but I think just perhaps, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Bowie and Prince will land toward the top.
I'm very eager to see where Bowie and Prince will land in this year's poll. I can consciously say that their passing has influenced my rankings, and I wonder to which extent it will be the same for others.
Henry wrote:My least favorite in the last poll's top 100 will likely be in this year's top 200. But, will any of them drop below 100?

Public Enemy lovers from the 2013 poll include: Jackson (12), Otisredding (15), sonfosamiam (17), PlasticRam (17), Poliuks (22), and Mattceinicram (24).

Nick Cave lovers from the 2013 poll include: DaveC (5), Otisredding (14), Brad (18), Michel (19), and Merlo (20).

I wonder how many of these folks have submitted ballots for our 2016 artists poll.
Well, I probably won't help, because I have Nick Cave and Public Enemy at #10 and #26, respectively :P
Last edited by Pierre on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire
Posts: 1356
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:50 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Some surprises in store, I bet, with all the new blood.

I myself did feel that I had underrated Bowie & Prince when I first worked on my submission last year. In relation to an entry I've now ranked lower, I came around to say, Well he's great for his decade; David Bowie and Prince are great moreso for all time. (Not that I had formal criteria, but by accident or design there's a lot of top ten AM artists in my top ten.)
Henry
Full of Fire
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Henry »

Pierre wrote:[
Henry wrote:My least favorite in the last poll's top 100 will likely be in this year's top 200. But, will any of them drop below 100?

Public Enemy lovers from the 2013 poll include: Jackson (12), Otisredding (15), sonfosamiam (17), PlasticRam (17), Poliuks (22), and Mattceinicram (24).

Nick Cave lovers from the 2013 poll include: DaveC (5), Otisredding (14), Brad (18), Michel (19), and Merlo (20).

I wonder how many of these folks have submitted ballots for our 2016 artists poll.
Well, I probably won't help, because I have Nick Cave and Public Enemy at #10 and #26, respectively :P
That may place you as the number 1 forum fan of Public Enemy.
User avatar
Pierre
Feeling Good
Posts: 1977
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Pierre »

Henry wrote:
Pierre wrote:[
Henry wrote:My least favorite in the last poll's top 100 will likely be in this year's top 200. But, will any of them drop below 100?

Public Enemy lovers from the 2013 poll include: Jackson (12), Otisredding (15), sonfosamiam (17), PlasticRam (17), Poliuks (22), and Mattceinicram (24).

Nick Cave lovers from the 2013 poll include: DaveC (5), Otisredding (14), Brad (18), Michel (19), and Merlo (20).

I wonder how many of these folks have submitted ballots for our 2016 artists poll.
Well, I probably won't help, because I have Nick Cave and Public Enemy at #10 and #26, respectively :P
That may place you as the number 1 forum fan of Public Enemy.
Nope, because as I said Public Enemy is only my #26 :P I think you inverted what I said ;)
Henry
Full of Fire
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Henry »

Pierre wrote:[

Nope, because as I said Public Enemy is only my #26 :P I think you inverted what I said ;)
The corrected read could put you in the top 2 or 3 of the forum's Nick Cave fans.

Perhaps this will be the year when I grow more fond of Nick Cave. I can see that happening more than a new affection for Public Enemy.
Last edited by Henry on Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
prosecutorgodot
Full of Fire
Posts: 1204
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:53 am
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by prosecutorgodot »

With a top 200, my top 3 artists will almost certainly make the list.
User avatar
Pierre
Feeling Good
Posts: 1977
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Pierre »

Henry wrote:
Pierre wrote:[

Nope, because as I said Public Enemy is only my #26 :P I think you inverted what I said ;)
The corrected read could put you in the top 2 or 3 of the forum's Nick Drake fans.

Perhaps this will be the year when I grow more fond of Nick Drake. I can see that happening more than a new affection for Public Enemy.
Actually, you are now mixing up Nick Cave and Nick Drake it seems... Nick Drake isn't on my list at all. He could have been though. He is one of the artists I regret not putting on my list, but I'm among those crazy people for whom 100 artists is too tight.
User avatar
babydoll
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 969
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by babydoll »

So when will the presentation be?
Henry
Full of Fire
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Henry »

Pierre wrote:
Actually, you are now mixing up Nick Cave and Nick Drake it seems... Nick Drake isn't on my list at all. He could have been though. He is one of the artists I regret not putting on my list, but I'm among those crazy people for whom 100 artists is too tight.
My list was much larger than 100 artists too.

Although descriptive of my responses to you today, I now note that Asleep at the Wheel did not rate in my top 1500 artists yet :whistle:
Nick
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2623
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:28 pm
Location: New York State

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Nick »

Jirin wrote:
Nassim wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote: In the mean time, everyone can speculate on the results for this year!
Well, I know it's a longshot and you might call me crazy, but I think the Beatles will be #1.
I think you may be right. And call it a hunch, but I think just perhaps, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Bowie and Prince will land toward the top.
What about that one band? The Radio Heads?
pauldrach
Let's Get It On
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:42 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by pauldrach »

I was busy this semester and didn't manage to turn in a list. So Henry may be lucky since this will hurt Waits.
User avatar
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 671
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:11 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Sorry Henry, I included Pavement. I also included The Smashing Pumpkins, but not The Stone Temple Pilots. #rangelife
DaveC
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2524
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:04 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by DaveC »

Did I rank Nick Cave way down at #5 last time? Whoa.
User avatar
Karla
The Only Way Is Up
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Karla »

Dexter wrote:
Karla wrote:Hi everyone, this is my first participation in the forum.

I took courage and sent my list. Hope there's still time.
Welcome to AMF Karla! Well done for that show of courage. Hopefully, this is the first of many participation in the forum. It's great that AMF have new female members (I assume you're one) contributing since I think (and feel) its rather male-dominated.
You're right. Thanks, Dexter.
So come on let it go..
Just let it be... :music-listening:
Brad
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3460
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Brad »

Henry wrote:Let's see if Brad still places Pavement as his top artist of all-time.
Hi Henry - I feel you've been away for awhile and if that's the case it's great to have you back... At the risk of spoiling any surprises, I will confess my love for Pavement has not diminished!
User avatar
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire
Posts: 1356
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:50 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Nassim wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote: In the mean time, everyone can speculate on the results for this year!
Well, I know it's a longshot and you might call me crazy, but I think the Beetles will be #1.
Spelling corrected.
I assume some guys who made a couple bucks trying to sound like Buddy Holly.
User avatar
notbrianeno
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 913
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:47 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by notbrianeno »

While this contest will assuredly be filled with surprises, I think we can all safely bet on Will Smiths inclusion in the top 10.
Current AOTY 2020: Sufjan Stevens | The Ascension
Current SOTY 2020: Tame Impala | "On Track"
User avatar
bootsy
Full of Fire
Posts: 1221
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:38 pm

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by bootsy »

notbrianeno wrote: I think we can all safely bet on Will Smiths inclusion in the top 10.
Image
DocBrown
Full of Fire
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:15 am
Location: Edmonton, Canada

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by DocBrown »

My fearless prediction: the forum's favourite female will sprinkle Icelandic pixie dust in the top twenty.
User avatar
whuntva
Full of Fire
Posts: 1535
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:46 pm

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by whuntva »

Predictions:

Beatles, Radiohead, and Dylan in the top three. They may or may not be in that order.

Bowie and Prince in the Top 10.

Bjork is highest (solo) female and may be highest artist who is not Anglo-American. Arcade Fire (Canada) and U2 (Ireland) will fight for that distinction also.

Kendrick Lamar is the most recent artist in the Top 100. Kanye the most recent in the Top 25.

Swans may or may not cross the Top 100 threshold. They were #177 last time and with them rocketing up my chart, it is not impossible.

Oasis and Flaming Lips' ratings will suffer. Nina Simone and Nick Drake will benefit.

A lot of artists who did well in the B-Sides tourney will experience a boost.


The suspense is killing me! I hope it lasts!

But seriously, JimmyJazz. Take as long as you need with the chart. This is the highest turnout in AM History, so you should feel proud for running it like this.

And don't worry too much about comments. I for one took a lot of time and effort to leave a paragraph for every artist on my list.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Henry
Full of Fire
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Henry »

Brad wrote:
Henry wrote:Let's see if Brad still places Pavement as his top artist of all-time.
Hi Henry - I feel you've been away for awhile and if that's the case it's great to have you back... At the risk of spoiling any surprises, I will confess my love for Pavement has not diminished!
Please let me know if at any point you found Pavement more enjoyable when you were experiencing an altered state of consciousness :P
Brad
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3460
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Brad »

Henry wrote:
Brad wrote:
Henry wrote:Let's see if Brad still places Pavement as his top artist of all-time.
Hi Henry - I feel you've been away for awhile and if that's the case it's great to have you back... At the risk of spoiling any surprises, I will confess my love for Pavement has not diminished!
Please let me know if at any point you found Pavement more enjoyable when you were experiencing an altered state of consciousness :P
I will neither confirm nor deny, though I will heartily urge you to give it a try!
User avatar
Daniel
Different Class
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:59 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Daniel »

My bold prediction, if you can call it that is that David Bowie will outrank The Rolling Stones, and Prince might also outrank them this time around.
Nassim
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2053
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:35 pm
Location: Lille (France)

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Nassim »

I Wonder how the great number of voters will affect the ranking, I would assume it will favor the usual consensus and rock and soul, and either get to a result in the best case closer to AM, in the worst case closer to the Rock and Roll HoF.

So I'd be (happily) surprised to see Björk or Arcade Fire climb from their (already pretty good) rank from last poll, I'd be less surprised if that happened to U2 instead. For the same reason I don't see Radiohead beating the Rolling Stones or Nick Drake climbing much higher.
Kanye West (because he is still in a solid acclaim streak) might go against this overall trend.
And Kendrick Lamar should indeed be the highest entry (either I made a big typo on the spreadsheet or he didn't get a single vote on the previous poll), but top 100 ? Not sure !
User avatar
BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3586
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:20 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by BleuPanda »

I'm also kind of afraid of large numbers, more due to lurkers than large amounts of regular users. During the song poll, I also posted a list that only included 'regular' board members; removing those users caused a massive rise for more obscure artists. The biggest example is "All My Friends" by LCD Soundsystem, which managed a 6 song jump while already being in the top 20.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2776&start=250#p40929

I think it's a question of what type of people visit the site; is it to explore the world of music or for confirmation? I'm pretty sure those of us who contribute heavily to the forum post here for the former; after all, most of our polls exist for the sole purpose of exposing ourselves to either new music or songs we might have overlooked. At the same time, I'm sure there are plenty of people who stumble across Acclaimed Music and simply check it out to see where their favorite artists rank, without much interest in seeing the other, more obscure artists featured on the list. Though I'm sure some of the lurkers follow along with the forum and explore the list, I feel there are also some who are simply die hard classic rock fans, which is what the actual list appears to cater to on its surface.


If possible, I'd love to see a similar list after the results come out; what are the top 100 or 200 artists according to AMF regulars? I'd be willing to bet a lot of modern acts skyrocket if we remove all users with less than 25 posts. I believe the reason "All My Friends" rose so much is because it only received votes among regular users, while everything else that high had a pretty even distribution among non-regulars.
User avatar
PlasticRam
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2202
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:51 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by PlasticRam »

One point I wanna make is that for some people it's a good way to enter the community, by taking part to a poll so you feel like you're kind of a part of the community and after that you're more comfortable to start posting. I don't remember if I started like that three years ago, but something like that still. But I do agree that if some people are just the kind of lurkers BP is talking about, then it's a different kind of thing.
I feel like that
User avatar
BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3586
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:20 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by BleuPanda »

PlasticRam wrote:One point I wanna make is that for some people it's a good way to enter the community, by taking part to a poll so you feel like you're kind of a part of the community and after that you're more comfortable to start posting. I don't remember if I started like that three years ago, but something like that still. But I do agree that if some people are just the kind of lurkers BP is talking about, then it's a different kind of thing.

I think the 2012 song poll was how I started making my way into the site, so that's true for me as well. I think, in a lot of ways, it's an issue where some niche bands are likely complete unknowns to people who just made their way to this site. Once again using "All My Friends" as an example, I feel fairly confident it did better in the regulars poll, not because non-regulars don't care for the song, but because the non-regulars in general didn't even know the song in the first place.

It's part of this weird conundrum where we have to question the purpose of critical lists. Are they to expose us to new music? Or are they to reward those of us who find our own favorites frequently mentioned? I know plenty of people who comb through Pitchfork's yearly lists only to complain or gloat about the placement of their favorites. I've definitely seen people complain about a work being ranked too low while also having never heard of half the songs that ranked higher; hell, we get that every year when the Grammys roll around. I saw so many people complain about The Suburbs winning album of the year, with most of those people stating they had never even heard of the band; well, they won album of the year, so maybe that's a sign you should check them out?

I think what it comes down to is, we can generally expect the majority of us regulars to have at least a passing familiarity to, say, the top 100 or 200 artists listed on Acclaimed Music; we discuss them enough that we should all have at least some exposure. The less familiar one is, the more holes they are likely to have in their musical knowledge. Someone who doesn't know Britpop here, another person unfamiliar with post-2000s rock there, and it adds a lot of holes to our overall knowledge. There are certainly lurkers who know all these bands like the rest of us, but I also got the sense from the song poll that many only know the big names, along with their own focused interest area.

So, what it essentially comes down to is, I'd rather Animal Collective drop 50 places because we've all decided we lost interest than they drop 50 spots because a segment of our voter block has never listened to them. (I guess that's why I like our decade poll methods, since it partially accommodates for a lack of knowledge)
User avatar
prosecutorgodot
Full of Fire
Posts: 1204
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:53 am
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I definitely see what BleuPanda is saying. I would definitely be okay with removing newer users from the main rollout of the list, and at the end posting both the constricted list and the expanded all-submissions list.

There are many ways to weed out non-adventurous users in future polls, if that is what the majority of the forum wishes. There are too many ways to list.

I'm pretty new here, but I was here during last year's song poll. I chose not to submit, even though I was preparing a 300 song list, because I felt I wasn't ready to take part in the big annual poll yet (hadn't explored enough yet, etc.). I'm saying that from personal experience, maybe the non-adventurous weed themselves out.
User avatar
BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3586
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:20 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by BleuPanda »

prosecutorgodot wrote:I definitely see what BleuPanda is saying. I would definitely be okay with removing newer users from the main rollout of the list, and at the end posting both the constricted list and the expanded all-submissions list.

There are many ways to weed out non-adventurous users in future polls, if that is what the majority of the forum wishes. There are too many ways to list.

I'm pretty new here, but I was here during last year's song poll. I chose not to submit, even though I was preparing a 300 song list, because I felt I wasn't ready to take part in the big annual poll yet (hadn't explored enough yet, etc.). I'm saying that from personal experience, maybe the non-adventurous weed themselves out.

We should definitely include everyone in the main rollout - it'd be unfair and uninviting to new users. I just think something at the end would be a nice bit of data to compare.
User avatar
whuntva
Full of Fire
Posts: 1535
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:46 pm

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by whuntva »

BleuPanda wrote:

I think the 2012 song poll was how I started making my way into the site, so that's true for me as well. I think, in a lot of ways, it's an issue where some niche bands are likely complete unknowns to people who just made their way to this site. Once again using "All My Friends" as an example, I feel fairly confident it did better in the regulars poll, not because non-regulars don't care for the song, but because the non-regulars in general didn't even know the song in the first place.

It's part of this weird conundrum where we have to question the purpose of critical lists. Are they to expose us to new music? Or are they to reward those of us who find our own favorites frequently mentioned? I know plenty of people who comb through Pitchfork's yearly lists only to complain or gloat about the placement of their favorites. I've definitely seen people complain about a work being ranked too low while also having never heard of half the songs that ranked higher; hell, we get that every year when the Grammys roll around. I saw so many people complain about The Suburbs winning album of the year, with most of those people stating they had never even heard of the band; well, they won album of the year, so maybe that's a sign you should check them out?

I think what it comes down to is, we can generally expect the majority of us regulars to have at least a passing familiarity to, say, the top 100 or 200 artists listed on Acclaimed Music; we discuss them enough that we should all have at least some exposure. The less familiar one is, the more holes they are likely to have in their musical knowledge. Someone who doesn't know Britpop here, another person unfamiliar with post-2000s rock there, and it adds a lot of holes to our overall knowledge. There are certainly lurkers who know all these bands like the rest of us, but I also got the sense from the song poll that many only know the big names, along with their own focused interest area.

So, what it essentially comes down to is, I'd rather Animal Collective drop 50 places because we've all decided we lost interest than they drop 50 spots because a segment of our voter block has never listened to them. (I guess that's why I like our decade poll methods, since it partially accommodates for a lack of knowledge)
Literally my first post on the (new) forum was a submission to the songs poll.

On the old forum, I was known as simply "W", and posted sporadically, but never participated in a big poll before the new forums. I had been reduced to a lurker for a little under a year after the new forum opened, mostly because I was unwilling to file paperwork to join. But once I became situated, I found a welcoming friendly community.

I try to use the polls as a bit of both discovering new material and affirming my favorites. I like a balance but I am also curious how many people here agree with me on things.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Nassim
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2053
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:35 pm
Location: Lille (France)

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Nassim »

BleuPanda wrote: We should definitely include everyone in the main rollout - it'd be unfair and uninviting to new users. I just think something at the end would be a nice bit of data to compare.
Yeah, clearly, no doubt about that, there's no reason to exclude anyone.

My point wasn't really about new users vs regular ones, it was just that the most voters, the most (I assume) predictable the results, because a few users madly in love with a band will no longer be enough for it to make a good showing and bands everybody likes will have it easier than a band a few people love to death. It could make the final result less fun, but not necessarily less fair.
DocBrown
Full of Fire
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:15 am
Location: Edmonton, Canada

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by DocBrown »

From what I remember of my long ago statistics courses, the level of statistical significance with 64 respondents vs. ~45 increases by about threefold. The results should be of interest far deeper down the list than in past years, and again I congratulate JimmyJazz on his outstanding efforts to attract so many voters. If we find past forum favourites with less relative support so be it; the merits of having a larger pool speak for themselves. I also think members gravitate towards participation because of the variety of viewpoints not despite them. My first poll participation was our prior Artist Poll and I still regret and apologize for engaging with a certain troll. Nonetheless neither my obscure power pop choices nor his doo wop predilections made a whit of difference to the final tally. And as a result of what I have learned from forum members in the intervening years, my 2016 submission is probably 50% different.
User avatar
Dexter
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:04 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Dexter »

BleuPanda wrote:I'm also kind of afraid of large numbers, more due to lurkers than large amounts of regular users. During the song poll, I also posted a list that only included 'regular' board members; removing those users caused a massive rise for more obscure artists. The biggest example is "All My Friends" by LCD Soundsystem, which managed a 6 song jump while already being in the top 20.
I respectfully argue otherwise. This poll was created, as succinctly phrased by Jimmyjazz, "to vote for your favorite artists... the artists whose music really means the most to you" and not to discover an obscure or underappreciated artist otherwise, create a new poll which excludes Rolling Stone or VH1 top 100 artists or Rock Hall of Fame inductees. In the alternative, you can do whatever with the data in the artists poll to come up with a list of obscure artists to look out for. I think such a list was made in the songs poll.

Moreover, to suggest that new registrants and lurkers have bandwagon or conventional choices, as compared to "regulars", is unfounded. You cited the all-time songs poll last year as an example. As shown hereunder, using correlations of a AMFer voter's month/year joined vis-a-vis his/her top 500 ballot that are in the AM top 500 and that made the top 500 in our poll, you can see they balanced out and not skewed towards the AM top 500 entries. "Regulars" are as likely to vote for the usual suspects as "newbies".

02/2012 Nick | AM 362 | AMF 315
08/2012 BleuPanda | AM 297 | AMF 294
02/2012 Bruno | AM 297 | AMF 256
*04/2015 Dexter | AM 270 | AMF 230 (blandest newcomer)
09/2012 whuntva | AM 182 | AMF 188
02/2012 Dan | AM 172 | AMF 204
02/2012 stone37 | AM 171 | AMF 182a
02/2012 TimmyWing | AM 145 | AMF 174
02/2012 Romain | AM 141 | AMF 165
07/2012 Rob | AM 138 | AMF 179
02/2013 PlasticRam | AM 127 | AMF 162
02/2012 Listyguy | AM 126 | AMF 175
01/2013 Live in Phoenix | AM 120 | AMF 141
12/2013 GucciLittlePiggy | AM 114 | AMF 150
02/2012 Nicolas | AM 114 | AMF 147
02/2012 Henrik | AM 114 | AMF 137
01/2013 DaveC | AM 113 | AMF 158
*06/2015 BryanBehar | AM 112 | AMF 131
02/2012 Jackson | AM 103 | AMF 145
02/2012 Michel | AM 100 | AMF 120
08/2014 Krurze | AM 98 | AMF 107
02/2013 bonnielaurel | AM 96 | AMF 103
*06/2015 Red Ant | AM 93 | AMF 104
*02/2015 Henry | AM 86 | AMF 96
10/2012 jamieW | AM 84 | AMF 118
12/2012 Maschine_Man | AM 81 | AMF 99
02/2012 antonius | AM 78 | AMF 91
04/2013 DocBrown | AM 76 | AMF 101
12/2012 Blanco | AM 63 | AMF 83
02/2012 Charlie Driggs | AM 55 | AMF 70
02/2012 Brad | AM 48 | AMF 74
02/2012 Fred | AM 44 | AMF 62
02/2012 sonofsamiam | AM 44 | AMF 78
02/2012 Nassim | AM 33 | AMF 69
02/2012 Moonbeam | AM 30 | AMF 44
*06/2015 Zombeels | AM 20 | AMF 33
02/2012 Georgie | AM 20 | AMF 28

It should also be noted that the above only lists those who made lists of 500 songs are included in this list and majority who did are "regulars" so the fear of the new guys influencing the poll with their classic rock or dad rock choices is rubbish. Of course some songs like "All My Friends" benefited by taking away some submissions because there were only 52 submissions and 15 of those did not even list 500 songs, there's only that much data to manipulate.

To end my blabber, I say let's be happy with the record votes and I thank the guys who signed up just to participate in this poll. Obviously, this will result in a more diverse choices of artists, that's why I'm as interested in the individual lists as much as the results of the poll.
Last edited by Dexter on Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3586
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:20 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by BleuPanda »

More or less users doesn't make the list better or worse; it makes it different. In the end, there are two thoughts to this; limiting it to just regulars allows our list to reflect how our tastes as a community has developed over the years, while opening it up to everyone might harm our board favorites but allows a more 'accurate' reflection of those who would come to this kind of site. Both give us an interesting set of information, but both sets also represent slightly different groups of people.

As you can probably tell by the data you just posted, I am split. As you can see, I have the second most correlation on that list, and I would be surprised if any of my 100 artists miss out (except for two obvious choices). I think the main thing is, the more inline our votes fall, the more it tends to harm more recent and obscure artists. Perhaps the fact that my favorite song was also the song to benefit the most from the regulars-only list has skewed my view.

I guess it's also the fact that, the more lists you add, the more predictable it becomes, no matter who the lists are coming from.
User avatar
andyd1010
Full of Fire
Posts: 1248
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:08 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by andyd1010 »

I guess I better keep posting so I graduate from "lurker" status! I have listened to every single song that's ever been ranked on this site, and I love a lot of the obscure ones, so I'd say my tastes are much closer to the veterans here than the classic rock dads you're afraid of.
User avatar
Romain
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4663
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:25 pm
Location: Lyon, France

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Romain »

For what I see since one or two years, this forum attracted more and more "young americans"...So I guess all the americans artists will do better (Dylan/Springsteen ?) and the 90's will do far better than in the previous poll.
Henry
Full of Fire
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Henry »

Dexter wrote: *02/2015 Henry | AM 86 | AMF 96
I have been participating in the forum for many years, including the first generation of the forum. Please let us know where you obtained the dates for the participants in your list.
User avatar
JimmyJazz
Full of Fire
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 am
Location: Arizona

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by JimmyJazz »

Firstly, apologies for the delays everybody -- I have been busy with moving and boxes and whatnot, and I also want to make sure the presentation will be nice. However, to chime in on this subject, I do hope everyone will chill out about the results one way or the other.

According to Bleu and others (to my understanding), I guess I, the host, shouldn't have been allowed to vote in the 2013 artist poll, which was my first foray into this forum. As a matter of fact, LCD Soundsystem wasn't on my list at the time (FOR SHAME, SHUN THE HEATHEN!!!), but they have grown on me since then and now place on my list. With this kind of cliquish attitude, I'm afraid we will end up turning off more users for the future. I deeply apologize for the amount of ballots if this offends some, but I assure all of you, your favorite alt-rock bands are doing just fine, far better than "dad rock" and "Bruce favorite acts" (who are apparently terrible because he liked them: thus, logic).

Nevertheless, I will certainly follow up on Bleu's suggestion and do a list accounting for "regular users" votes only for comparison, out of statistical interest. That way, I suppose everyone can be pleased.

During the rollout, however, I will make one thing clear: NO CONTROVERSIES. I don't want any "Bruce versus the forum" shenanigans playing out again and sabotaging one of the three big polls of this forum. Every single Top 10 I have received is so dramatically different from one another that no one is going to be fully pleased. 'Tis the nature of lists, I suppose...

I apologize if I seemed offended in this post, but considering my own story of joining this forum, I felt pretty annoyed to be frank. For the record, DocBrown, as always, has the most eloquent say on the whole matter.
User avatar
Dexter
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:04 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by Dexter »

Henry wrote:
Dexter wrote: *02/2015 Henry | AM 86 | AMF 96
I have been participating in the forum for many years, including the first generation of the forum. Please let us know where you obtained the dates for the participants in your list.
It clearly shows in your profile that you joined in Feb. 2012 so obviously I was wrong. I should have double checked, I apologize for that. Still, it does not change the point I was making.
JimmyJazz wrote: During the rollout, however, I will make one thing clear: NO CONTROVERSIES. I don't want any "Bruce versus the forum" shenanigans playing out again and sabotaging one of the three big polls of this forum. Every single Top 10 I have received is so dramatically different from one another that no one is going to be fully pleased. 'Tis the nature of lists, I suppose...
I think that's a little bit iron-fisted. All polls, particularly music polls, generate controversies be it Rolling Stone, Pitchfork or any other publication. As you said that's its nature and everybody has his/her opinion on the matter. Like if somebody votes Lou Bega as #1, I'll most probably accuse that voter of being a troll.
User avatar
BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3586
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:20 am

Re: The AMF Artist Poll 2016: List Submissions Thread

Post by BleuPanda »

I'm sorry for what I've said in this topic. I don't think it came off the way I intended, especially if people who continued to use the forum after entering it through a poll (the way I did) believe I am talking about them.

Part of what's interesting to me about forum polls is they are usually representative of a certain group of people; all I want is to also get a chance to see what the people who have posted on the forum think. My definition of a regular user is simply someone who has posted about 25 times, or having an account of a certain age, which I don't think is cliquish; it's a way of measuring a certain level of activity. One part of my interest in this is to see if, say, a band with a big hit from moderately acclaimed suddenly jumped into the charts due to our heightened awareness, etc. I've never said new users should be blocked from voting, but expressed my concern about how this can affect the representational meaning of such a poll, specifically if someone submits a list and then leaves without giving us a sense of who they are or why they contributed. I want to have a sense of who the contributors are, if not before the poll, hopefully during or after.

But I'll shut up now. I can't post outside of putting up tourney matches without making everyone angry these days, and I don't know why I've gotten so bad at communicating.
Post Reply