1900-1959 Poll Recommendation Thread

babydoll
Movin' On Up

1900-1959 Poll Recommendation Thread

Post by babydoll »

Since I want to help jamieW out - after all, he's been kind enough to host this - I thought I'd start the recommendation thread for him. Now I just want you all to remember that there will be three polls: one for 1900-1949 songs, one for 1950s songs, and one for albums from 1900-1959. Both of the songs poll will be up to a hundred songs, and the albums poll will be up to fifty. Alas, let jamieW elaborate more - and if necessary, correct me - on this with his submission thread.

I must confess to having a purpose with starting this. I want to recommend a stunning album - an unknown classic. The unknown classic is Helen Merrill's Helen Merrill with Clifford Brown (1955).

This is a truly stunning vocal jazz album. It's truly one of my favorites. Do yourself a favor and listen to this!

jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Re: 1900-1959 Poll Recommendation Thread

Post by jamieW »

Thanks for starting the recommendation thread, babydoll! You indeed have "La Règle du jeu" correct (in my tribute to Renoir - seriously, I really should've participated in BleuPanda's films poll). As I said, I will create the list submissions thread on Sunday. But I would really encourage everyone to visit the threads for the previous polls as an additional recommendations thread. The links are below.

I look forward to everyone's recommendations! I have made a personal pledge to listen to everything posted in this thread.

1900-1949: http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 3&cmd=show
1950's songs: http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 9&cmd=show
1950's albums: http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 4&cmd=show
Last edited by jamieW on Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

jamieW wrote:Thanks for starting the recommendation thread, babydoll! You indeed have "La Règle du jeu" correct (in my tribute to Renoir - seriously, I really should've participated in BleuPanda's films poll). As I said, I will create the list submissions thread on Sunday. But I would really encourage everyone to visit the threads for the previous polls as an additional recommendations thread. The links are below.

I look forward to everyone's recommendations! I have made a personal pledge to listen to everything posted in this thread.

1950's songs: http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 3&cmd=show
1950's albums: http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 3&cmd=show
No problems, and I knew I was forgetting something. Turns out it was your favorite, the previous 1900-1949 and 1950s polls! Seriously, everybody, go there for some fabulous recommendations.

And jamieW, The Rules of the Game is my second favorite film of all time... I knew I liked you.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

babydoll wrote:
jamieW wrote:Thanks for starting the recommendation thread, babydoll! You indeed have "La Règle du jeu" correct (in my tribute to Renoir - seriously, I really should've participated in BleuPanda's films poll). As I said, I will create the list submissions thread on Sunday. But I would really encourage everyone to visit the threads for the previous polls as an additional recommendations thread. The links are below.

1950's songs: http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 3&cmd=show
1950's albums: http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 3&cmd=show
No problems, and I knew I was forgetting something. Turns out it was your favorite, the previous 1900-1949 and 1950s polls! Seriously, everybody, go there for some fabulous recommendations.

And jamieW, The Rules of the Game is my second favorite film of all time... I knew I liked you.
It's a great, great film. It's funny: the only reason I didn't participate in the films poll is that I feared I hadn't seen as many films as everyone else. Turns out, I've seen over 150 of the films nominated. If I'd voted, not only would "The Rules of the Game" had finished higher, but (off the top of my head) so would "Bonnie and Clyde," "The Man With a Movie Camera, "M," "Sunrise," " "Freaks," "Rashomon," "Dr. Strangelove," "Rear Window," "The Grand Illusion," "Battleship Potemkin," and (all-time childhood favorite) "The Wizard of Oz." Unquestionably, I also would've nominated "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." Ah well, I'm still so much more into music that movies, so on with the 1900-1959 poll!
(However, since I spent several years studying for a career in film criticism, I'll be sure to participate next time!)
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

My not-so-creative recommendation is the spellbinding work of Robert Johnson. I ranked all 29 of his tracks a while back with the intention of turning it into something more, with information about each of them and whatnot. Since that could take a while for me to actually do, I've included my personal rankings of his songs below. I'd say the top 9 or so are what I consider to be the top tier, but to be honest most of them are damn good (I do see the argument about how a lot of his tracks sound so similar, but it doesn't bother me a whole lot).

1- Cross Road Blues
2- Hellhound On My Trail
3- Sweet Home Chicago
4- I Believe I'll Dust My Broom
5- They're Red Hot
6- 32-20 Blues
7- From Four Till Late
8- Stop Breakin' Down Blues
9- Drunken Hearted Man
10- Ramblin' On My Mind
11- Come On In My Kitchen
12- Preaching Blues (Up Jumped the Devil)
13- Kindhearted Woman Blues
14- Phonograph Blues
15- Love In Vain Blues
16- Terraplane Blues
17- Walking Blues
18- Little Queen of Spades
19- I'm a Steady Rollin' Man
20- Milkcow's Calf Blues
21- When You Got a Good Friend
22- Traveling Riverside Blues
23- Honeymoon Blues
24- Dead Shrimp Blues
25- Malted Milk
26- Stones In My Passway
27- Last Fair Deal Gone Down
28- If I Had Possession Over Judgement Day
29- Me and the Devil Blues
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Listyguy, Robert Johnson is a force to be reckoned with. More people that get to know him, the better.

I would highly recommend listening to the two volumes of the King of the Delta Blues Singers compilations. I also want to give a shout out to Love in Vain Blues which I feel Listyguy ranked too low.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Glad this thread was made, as I have a somewhat limited knowledge of pre-1960 music. For what its worth, I strongly recommend Bernard Herrmann's extraordinary score from Vertigo

Last edited by notbrianeno on Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

babydoll wrote:Listyguy, Robert Johnson is a force to be reckoned with. More people that get to know him, the better.

I would highly recommend listening to the two volumes of the King of the Delta Blues Singers compilations. I also want to give a shout out to Love in Vain Blues which I feel Listyguy ranked too low.
Agreed, both volumes of great. The Complete Recordings are also a good route to go (obviously). And yeah I don't know why but I never really got into "Love in Vain Blues". He just has so many great songs it doesn't stand out much for me.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Listyguy wrote:My not-so-creative recommendation is the spellbinding work of Robert Johnson. I ranked all 29 of his tracks a while back with the intention of turning it into something more, with information about each of them and whatnot. Since that could take a while for me to actually do, I've included my personal rankings of his songs below. I'd say the top 9 or so are what I consider to be the top tier, but to be honest most of them are damn good (I do see the argument about how a lot of his tracks sound so similar, but it doesn't bother me a whole lot).
Great list, Listguy!
Robert Johnson is one of my favorites "old" artists.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

notbrianeno, I tried sending you a PM, but it wouldn't let me. I just going to tell you that if you remove the s on the https:// the playlist will embed. And thanks for your recommendation of Bernard Herrmann's wonderful score for Vertigo. Both Prelude and Scene d'Amour are some of my favorites.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

babydoll wrote:notbrianeno, I tried sending you a PM, but it wouldn't let me. I just going to tell you that if you remove the s on the https:// the playlist will embed. And thanks for your recommendation of Bernard Herrmann's wonderful score for Vertigo. Both Prelude and Scene d'Amour are some of my favorites.
Thanks for the help!! I've been going crazy trying to fix the link lol
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

While we're on the subject of Alfred Hitchcock, I just have to say I can't believe this exists. I also can't believe how awesome it is. Here it is: Alfred Hitchcock's Music to Be Murdered By (1958).

It's a novelty album, but this is awesome.

bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Here's a mixed bag of popular songs from the fifties that might easily be overlooked.

The Andrews Sisters - Sleigh Ride
The Ames Brothers - Rag Mop
Teresa Brewer - Music Music Music
Billy Eckstine - My Foolish Heart
Ella Fitzgerald - But Not for Me
Louis Armstrong & Ella Fitzgerald - Can Anyone Explain? (No! No! No!)
Ruth Brown - Teardrops from My Eyes
Perry Como - Hoop Dee Doo
Doris Day - Tea for Two

Louis Armstrong - A Kiss to Build a Dream On
Patti Page - Mockin' Bird Hill
William Warfield - Ol' Man River
Betty Hutton - It's Oh So Quiet
Perry Como - If
Juliette Gréco - Je suis comme je suis
Luis Mariano - Mexico
The Bell Sisters - Bermuda

Dinah Washington - Mad about the Boy
Louis Armstrong - It Takes Two to Tango
Ewan MacColl - Dirty Old Town
Donald O'Connor - Make 'Em Laugh
Nat King Cole - Too Young

Eartha Kitt - Santa Baby
Marilyn Monroe - Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend
Les Paul & Mary Ford - Vaya con Dios
Kathryn Grayson - I Hate Men
Jack Buchanan e.a. - That's Entertainment
Frankie Laine - I Believe

Muddy Waters - I Just Want to Make Love to you
Frank Sinatra - Young at Heart
Frank Sinatra - I Get a Kick Out of You
Dinah Washington - A Foggy Day
Nat King Cole - Smile
Dean Martin - Sway

Lotte Lenya - Die Morität vom Mackie Messer
Billie Holiday - Say It Isn’t So
Frank Sinatra - Love and Marriage
Charles Aznavour - Une Enfant
Doris Day - Shaking the Blues Away
Sammy Davis Jr - That Old Black Magic
Prince Patridge - How Come My Dog Don’t Bark (When You Come Around)
Lena Horne - It's Love
Frank Sinatra - The Tender Trap
Kay Starr - Rock and Roll Waltz
The McGuire Sisters - Something’s Gotta Give

Ella Fitzgerald - Ev’ry Time We Say Goodbye
Barbie Gaye - My Boy Lollypop
Freddy Quinn - Heimweh (Dort wo die Blumen blüh’n)
Bing Crosby & Grace Kelly - True Love
Jim Reeves - Bimbo
Clarence "Frogman" Henry - Ain't Got No Home

Edith Piaf - La Foule
Ella Fitzgerald - Like Someone in Love
Abbey Lincoln - My Man
Dalida - Buenas noches mi amor
Miriam Makeba - Pata Pata
Thurston Harris & The Sharps - Little Bitty Pretty One
Slim Dusty - A Pub with No Beer
Harry Belafonte - Island in the Sun
Reri Grist - Somewhere
Ruth Brown - Lucky Lips

Golden Gate Quartet - Down by the Riverside
Golden Gate Quartet - Go Tell It on the Mountain
Mahalia Jackson - He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands
Domenico Medugno - Nel Blu Dipinto di Blu
Billie Holiday - Sophisticated Lady
Art & Dotty Todd - Chanson d'Amour
Bobby Day - Rockin’ Robin

Duane Eddy - Peter Gunn
Ella Fitzgerald - I Got Rhythm
Marilyn Monroe - I Wanna Be Loved by You
Freddy Quinn - Unter fremden Sternen
Cliff Richard - Living Doll
Neil Sedaka - Oh Carol
Louis Armstrong & Gabriele - Uncle Satchmo's Lullaby
Lloyd Price - Personality
Frank Sinatra - High Hopes
Paul Anka - Put Your Head on My Shoulder
Ray Charles - Come Rain or Come Shine
Jacques Brel - La Valse à mille temps
Last edited by bonnielaurel on Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

In my humble opinion, the best song from 1900-1959. Frank Sinatra's crooning voice was perfect for this song. This was a blues song hidden by jazz, but Ol' Blue Eyes used jazz to reveal them blues inside. Beautiful, and never fails to makes me cry when I need a good cry.
In my humble opinion, George Gershwin's Summertime is the best song ever recorded. Janis Joplin's psychedelic 1968 version is my second favorite of all time. The only worthy jazz opponent to her rock-and-roll version is Sarah Vaughan's version. This version, recorded in 1950, has even been mentioned as one of the 1001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die. It's so beautiful.
A true classic from Louis Armstrong's famed Hot Fives and Sevens recordings, St. James Infirmary perhaps best shows off his true abilities. It's a wonderful song that gives me creeps every single time from listening to it.
Probably Ella Fitzgerald's most essential recording of a Gershwin tune, released on her 1950 Ella Sings Gershwin LP. Absolutely stunning, and better than her 1959 recording off the landmark Ella Fitzgerald Sings the George and Ira Gershwin Songbook. Someone to Watch Over Me is also probably my second favorite Gershwin song after Summertime, and it firmly feel that Ella made the best recording with this.
A Peggy Lee rarity, recorded between 1944-1948. It features one of her most stunning vocal performances. It is truly a recommended listen. Great proof there's more to her than Fever and Lady and the Tramp. September in the Rain is also a very underrated standard, and should be known more.
One of Cole Porter's absolutely shocking songs, Billie Holiday's version, released in 1954, reveals the melancholic theme of the lyrics. Absolutely stunning.
The only song Fred Astaire ever permitted to be included in two of his films, this was one of George Gershwin's last songs. The first clip in the video is from the 1937 film Shall We Dance. It's a beautiful moment from the film. The second one, and slightly inferior version, is from 1949's The Barkleys of Broadway. I highly recommend the 1937 version.
Absolutely beautiful song. Thanks, Romain, for recommending this in your wonderful thread!
Julie London is absolutely one of my favorite jazz singers, and one of Gershwin's best songs, How Long Has This Been Going On, is given first-class treatment by her. Julie's sultry vocals upgrades this song, and is full of wonderment the song's lyrics emphasizes on.
The one song from this patch, besides One for My Baby, that is required listening. This is a very sad song about lynching, and Billie Holiday's version just... This is not the 1939 version, but rather a 1950s version with her ragged vocals from live television. This shows Billie Holiday's feelings about this song. I cry at this. The 1939 version is available on YouTube, but you'll probably have to look at pictures of lynchings. It is still very recommended that you look this up despite my warning.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Also, BonnieLaurel, isn't Louis Armstrong's A Kiss to Build a Dream On from 1964? If not, I would need to add it to my 1950s song list.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Another great artist from this era: Andres Segovia, the brilliant Spanish classical guitarist, and one of the few that I consider a valid answer to the question of who the greatest guitarist of all time is. I've included my favorite of his, a recital of Albeniz's "Leyenda". I'm too sure what the eligibility rules are, since it's a classical piece that was composed in 1892 (though Segovia started performing it around 1924, and he recorded a version of it in 1952).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsHTgAMUwuI[/youtube]
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

babydoll wrote:Also, BonnieLaurel, isn't Louis Armstrong's A Kiss to Build a Dream On from 1964? If not, I would need to add it to my 1950s song list.
Discogs says it's a single in 1951. https://www.discogs.com/Louis-Armstrong ... se/6719028 It's also the final track from his 1952 album "Satchmo Serenades".
babydoll wrote: The only song Fred Astaire ever permitted to be included in two of his films, this was one of George Gershwin's last songs. The first clip in the video is from the 1937 film Shall We Dance. It's a beautiful moment from the film. The second one, and slightly inferior version, is from 1949's The Barkleys of Broadway. I highly recommend the 1937 version.
Billie Holiday recorded "They Can't Take That Away from Me" in 1937, with the equally great "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" as its B-side. This single is listed on RYM, so I would recommend her version for both these songs. https://rateyourmusic.com/release/singl ... thing_off/
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Thanks, BonnieLaurel, for your last minute lifesaver.

Now this is one of my favorite albums of all time. Chet Baker Sings is a stunning album with pure emotion. It's a really unique album, and I can't strongly recommend this album enough.

This is My Funny Valentine from the album. One of the greatest songs of all time.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

Great call on Chet Baker Sings, babydoll, it's an all-timer.

So, I've been refining my all-time 3000+ songs, and extracted out of it tracks for my recommendations. Listed below are the 1900-1949 picks -- look for the fifties at a different time. The bolded choices are likely in my Top 1000.

Aaron Copland | Hoedown
Aaron Copland | Symphony No. 3, III.
Aaron Copland | Appalachian Spring
Alban Berg | Violin Concerto: I. Andante / Allegretto
Alban Berg | Lulu (Final Scene)
Alexander Scriabin | Le poème de l'extase
Alexander Scriabin | Piano Sonata No. 9: "Black Mass"
Anton Webern | Symphony, op. 21
Anton Webern | Passacaglia for Orchestra
Anton Webern | Six Pieces for Orchestra
Arnold Schoenberg | Variations for Orchestra: IX: L'istesso Tempo
Arnold Schoenberg | Piano Concerto
Arnold Schoenberg | String Quartet No. 2: IV
Arnold Schoenberg | Verklärte Nacht, I: Grave

Arnold Schoenberg | String Quartet No. 3: I. Moderato
Arnold Schoenberg | Five Pieces for Orchestra, Op. 16
Arnold Schoenberg | Moses und Aron: The Golden Calf and the Altar
Art Tatum | Tiger Rag
Art Tatum | Tea for Two
Arthur Honegger | Symphony No. 3 "Symphonie Liturgique": I. Dies irae
Artie Shaw | Nightmare
Béla Bartók | String Quartet No. 4: I. Allegro
Béla Bartók | Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta: III. Adagio
Béla Bartók | Piano Concerto No. 2: I. Allegro
Béla Bartók | Concerto for Orchestra: V. Finale

Béla Bartók | Piano Concerto No. 1: I. Allegro moderato - Allegro
Béla Bartók | Duke Bluebeard's Castle: Door 5
Béla Bartók | String Quartet No. 5: II. Allegro molto
Béla Bartók | Violin Concerto No. 2: I. Allegro non troppo
Béla Bartók | The Miraculous Mandarin
Béla Bartók | String Quartet No. 2: II. Allegro molto capriccioso
Béla Bartók | Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta: I. Andante tranquillo
Béla Bartók | Piano Concerto No. 3: III. Allegro vivace
Ben Bernie Orchestra | Sweet Georgia Brown
Benjamin Britten | Grimes!, Grimes!
Benny Goodman | Sing, Sing, Sing
Benny Goodman | King Porter Stomp
Benny Goodman | Blue Skies
Bessie Smith | Graveyard Dream Blues
Bessie Smith | Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
Bessie Smith | I'd Rather Be Dead and Buried In My Grave
Bessie Smith | St. Louis Blues
Bessie Smith | 'T Ain't Nobody's Bizness If I Do
Billie Holiday | Strange Fruit
Billie Holiday | Gloomy Sunday
Billie Holiday | God Bless The Child

Billie Holiday | Them There Eyes
Billie Holiday | Fine and Mellow
Billie Holiday | Summertime
Billie Holiday | Nice Work If You Can Get It
Bing Crosby | Swinging on a Star
Blind Lemon Jefferson | See That My Grave Is Kept Clean
Blind Willie Johnson | Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground
Blind Willie Johnson | John The Revelator

Blind Willie Johnson | Lord I Just Can't Keep from Crying
Blind Willie Johnson | Praise God I'm Satisfied
Blind Willie Johnson | If I Had My Way They'd Tear the Building Down
Blind Willie McTell | Lord, Send Me an Angel
Blind Willie McTell | Statesboro Blues
Bohuslav Martinů | Double Concerto for Two String Orchestras, Piano, and Timpani: II. Largo
Bud Powell | Tempus Fugue-It
Bukka White | Parchman Farm Blues
Carl Nielsen | Symphony No. 4: IV. Allegro
Carl Nielsen | Symphony No. 5: I. Tempo giusto-Adagio non troppo
Carl Orff | O Fortuna
Carl Ruggles | Sun Treader
Carter Family | Can The Circle Be Unbroken (Bye and Bye)
Carter Family | Wildwood Flower
Charles Ives | Three Places in New England: II. Putnam's Camp, Redding, Connecticut
Charles Ives | Symphony No. 4, II.

Charles Ives | The Unanswered Question
Charles Ives | Piano Sonata No. 2 "Concord": The Alcotts
Charley Patton | High Water Everywhere
Charley Patton | Pony Blues
Charlie Christian | Solo Flight
Charlie Parker | Ornithology
Charlie Parker | Ko Ko

Charlie Parker | Just Friends
Charlie Parker | Yardbird Suite
Claude Debussy | Clair de lune
Claude Debussy | La mer, III. Dialogue du vent et de la mer

Claude Debussy | La cathédrale engloutie [The Submerged Cathedral]
Claude Debussy | Jeux
Claude Debussy | Children's Corner: IV. The Snow Is Dancing
Coleman Hawkins | Body and Soul
Count Basie | One o'Clock Jump
Count Basie with Lester Young | Lester Leaps In
Darius Milhaud | Le Bœuf sur le toit
Dizzy Gillespie | A Night In Tunisia
Dizzy Gillespie | Salt Peanuts

Dizzy Gillespie | Manteca
Dizzy Gillespie | Groovin' High
Django Reinhardt | Limehouse Blues
Django Reinhardt | Nuages
Dmitri Shostakovich | Symphony No. 5, IV.
Dmitri Shostakovich | String Quartet No. 3: III. Allegro non troppo
Dr. Samuel J. Hoffman and Les Baxter | Lunar Rhapsody
Duke Ellington | Take the 'A' Train
Duke Ellington | Come Sunday
Duke Ellington | Harlem Air Shaft

Duke Ellington | It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
Duke Ellington | The Mooche
Duke Ellington | Mood Indigo
Duke Ellington | Caravan
Duke Ellington | Don’t Get Around Much Anymore (aka Never No Lament)
Duke Ellington | Echoes of Harlem (Concerto for Cootie)
Duke Ellington | Black and Tan Fantasy
Edgard Varèse | Amériques
Edgard Varèse | Ionisation
Édith Piaf | La vie en rose
Edward Elgar | Cello Concerto in E minor: I. Adagio
Elizabeth Cotten | Freight Train
Ella Fitzgerald | When I Get Low, I Get High
Ethel Merman | I Get a Kick Out of You
Fats Waller | Ain't Misbehavin'
Fletcher Henderson | The Stampede
Frank Sinatra | All of Me
Frank Sinatra | All or Nothing at All
Fred Astaire | They Can't Take That Away from Me
Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers | Let's Call the Whole Thing Off
Geirr Tveitt | Piano Concerto #4, "Aurora Borealis": II. Glittering in the winter heavens
George Antheil | Ballet pour Instruments Mécanique et Percussion, Roll One
George Gershwin | Rhapsody In Blue
George Gershwin | Piano Concerto in F: III. Allegro agitato
George Gershwin | An American in Paris
Giacomo Puccini | Nessun Dorma
Giacomo Puccini | Madama Butterfly: Un Bel Di, Humming Chorus
Gustav Holst | Mars, The Bringer of War
Gustav Mahler | Symphony No. 9 in D minor: I. Andante comodo
Gustav Mahler | Symphony No. 5 in C sharp minor: Adagietto

Gustav Mahler | Das Lied von der Erde: Der Abschied (The Farewell)
Gustav Mahler | Symphony No. 4: I. Bedächtig, nicht eilen
Gustav Mahler | Symphony No. 8 in E flat: I. Veni creator spiritus
Hank Williams | Lost Highway
Hank Williams | I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

Hank Williams | Lovesick Blues
Heitor Villa-Lobos | Bachianas Brasilieras No. 1
Heitor Villa-Lobos | Prelude No. 1
Helen Forrest / Harry James | But Not for Me
Henry Cowell | The Banshee
Igor Stravinsky | Le sacre du printemps: Sacrificial Dance
Igor Stravinsky | Le sacre du printemps: Augurs of Spring/Ritual of Abduction
Igor Stravinsky | L'oiseau de feu: VII. Finale
Igor Stravinsky | Petrushka: Tableau I: The Shrove-Tide Fair

Igor Stravinsky | Concerto in E-flat "Dumbarton Oaks": I. Tempo giusto
Igor Stravinsky | Symphony of Psalms: II. Expectans expectavi dominum
Igor Stravinsky | Octet: I. Sinfonia
Igor Stravinsky | Symphony in Three Movements: III. Con moto
Igor Stravinsky | Le sacre du printemps: Tableau I, ??
Jean Sibelius | Symphony No. 7
Jean Sibelius | Symphony No. 5: III.
Jean Sibelius | Symphony No. 2: IV.
Jelly Roll Morton | Dead Man Blues
Jimmie Rodgers | Blue Yodel #9 (Standing on the Corner)
Jimpson | No More, My Lord
Joaquin Rodrigo | Concierto de Aranjuez: II. Adagio
John Cage | Imaginary Landscape No. 1
John Cage | Sonatas I-IV for prepared piano
John Cage | First Construction (In Metal)
John Cage | Suite for Toy Piano
John Lee Hooker | Boogie Chillen
John Lee Hooker | Crawlin' King Snake
Judy Garland | Over the Rainbow
Leadbelly | Where Did You Sleep Last Night?
Leadbelly | There's a Man Goin' Round Taking Names
Leos Janácek | String Quartet No. 2 "Intimate Letters": III. Andante - Adagio
Leos Janácek | Glagolitic Mass: V. Věruju
Leos Janáček | Sinfonietta
Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs | Foggy Mountain Breakdown
Lester Young | Pagin' The Devil
Lionel Hampton | Wizzin' The Wizz
Lionel Hampton | Flying Home
Louis Armstrong | West End Blues
Louis Armstrong | St. James Infirmary

Louis Armstrong | Star Dust
Louis Armstrong | Cornet Chop Suey
Louis Armstrong | Potato Head Blues
Louis Jordan | Saturday Night Fish Fry
Louis Jordan | Choo Choo Ch'Boogie
Louis Jordan | Is You Is Or Is You Ain't (My Baby)
Mahalia Jackson | Move on Up a Little Higher
Mary Lou Williams | Aries
Maurice Ravel | Piano Concerto in G major: I. Allagremente
Maurice Ravel | Lever du jour

Maurice Ravel | Boléro
Maurice Ravel | String Quartet: II.
Maurice Ravel | Piano Concerto for the Left Hand in D
Maurice Ravel | Gaspard de la nuit: Scarboe
Mississippi John Hurt | Stack O' Lee Blues
Muddy Waters | I Can't Be Satisfied
Mykola Leontovych | The Carol of the Bells
Nat King Cole | Nature Boy
Nat King Cole | Straighten Up and Fly Right
Olivier Messiaen | Turangalîla-Symphonie: I. Introduction
Olivier Messiaen | Fouillis d'arcs-en-ciel, pour l'Ange qui annonce la fin du temps

Olivier Messiaen | Vingt regards sur l'enfant-Jésus: Noel
Olivier Messiaen | Joy of The Blood of The Stars
Paul Hindemith | Symphonic Metamorphosis on Themes of Carl Maria von Weber, I.
Pierre Boulez | Piano Sonata No. 2
Ralph Vaughan Williams | Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
Raymond Scott | Powerhouse
Richard Strauss | Dance of the Seven Veils
Richard Strauss | Eine Alpensinfonie
Richard Strauss | Im Abendrot
Robert Johnson | Hellhound on My Trail
Robert Johnson | If I Had Possession Over Judgment Day
Robert Johnson | Love in Vain Blues
Rued Langgaard | Music of the Spheres
Samuel Barber | Adagio for Strings
Samuel Barber | Violin Concerto: I. Allegro
Scott Joplin | The Entertainer
Sergei Prokofiev | Piano Concerto No. 3: I. Andante - Allegro
Sergei Prokofiev | Dance of the Knights / Montagues and Capulets
Sergei Prokofiev | Piano Concerto No. 2 in G minor: IV. Finale: Allegro tempestoso
Sergei Prokofiev | Symphony No. 5 in B flat major, Op. 100: II. Allegro marcato
Sergei Prokofiev | Scythian Suite: II. 2.The Evil God and the Dance of the Pagan Monsters
Sergei Prokofiev | Peter and the Wolf: The Story Begins
Sergei Rachmaninoff | Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor: III. Allegro scherzando
Sergei Rachmaninoff | Piano Concerto No. 3: I. Allegro ma non tanto
Sergei Rachmaninoff | Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini
Sergei Rachmaninoff | The Isle of The Dead
Sister Rosetta Tharpe | Up Above My Head, I Hear Music In The Air
Skip James | Hard Time Killin' Floor Blues
Skip James | Devil Got My Woman
Son House | Death Letter
Son House | Grinnin' In Your Face
Stan Kenton | Artistry in Rhythm
Thelonious Monk | 'Round Midnight
Thelonious Monk | Epistrophy
Thelonious Monk | Misterioso
Thelonious Monk | Well You Needn't
Walter Huston | September Song
William Walton | Symphony No. 1: I.
Woody Guthrie | 1913 Massacre
Woody Guthrie | I Ain't Got No Home in This World Anymore
Woody Guthrie | Pretty Boy Floyd
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Some quick recommandation from "my" thread: (in bold, songs I think it can be appreciated)

Mayol - Viens Poupoule - 1902 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epkt9SmqSqo
Florelle - Fascination - 1904 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIw5k9DusXE
Mistinguett - Mon Homme - 1916 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFvYjlgqh4Q
Léo Daniderff - Je cherche après Titine - 1917 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlzvxVeMbvM
Berthe Sylva - Les roses blanches - 1925 (the lyrics are so sad) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEPEWgGc47k
Joséphine Baker - J'ai deux amours - 1930 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lLly_oHvSo
Lucienne Boyer - Parlez-moi d'amour - 1930 (thanks babydoll) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIAQWr34De0
Gaston Ouvrard - Je ne suis pas bien portant - 1934 for the lovers of rap music ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mluu9VIGifQ
Alibert - Le plus beau tango du monde - 1935 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG8uQttoMFs
Jean Sablon - Vous qui passez sans me voir - 1936 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHYC6SYI-9Q
Django Reinhardt - Nuages - 1936 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY0FF4iR9Cw
Django Reinhardt and Stéphane Grappelli - Minor Swing - 1937 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpmOTGungnA
Ray Ventura - Qu'est-ce qu'on attend pour être heureux ? - 1937 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEFQ4PCvFBc
Fréhel - La Java Bleue - 1938 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARYRs8GyNwQ
Rina Ketty - J'attendrai - 1938 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqvr6igV3Wc
Mireille et Jean Sablon - Puisque vous partez en voyage - 1938 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y4UPweFgGY
Jean Lumière - La valse au village - 1939 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCcE1ushkBo
Django Reinhardt - Les yeux noirs - 1940 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua-MWLJvGvM
Lucienne Delyle - Je suis seule ce soir - 1947 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yikvwJYbOvQ
Anna Marly - Le chant des partisans - 1941 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRhg-Ioik8c
Lucienne Delyle - Mon amant de Saint-Jean - 1942 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O4BxW206OU
Yves Montand - Les Feuilles Mortes - 1945 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo1C6E7jbPw
Henri Betti - C'est si bon - 1947 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjqlLgycDRs
Francis Lemarque - À Paris - 1949 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ51LNgcQRo

Henri Salvador - Le loup, la biche et le chevalier (une chanson douce) - 1950 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLNxHW4ZgXE
Jean Bretonnière - Sous le ciel de Paris - 1951 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LACZU05vmbk
Mick Micheyl - Un gamin de Paris -1951 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEFH2tjkFoc
Georges Auric - Moulin Rouge - 1952 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puvWDiSRG3E
Brassens & Patachou - Maman, papa - 1952 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4phwUzKZw_8
Georges Guetary - La route Fleurie - 1952 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBlnDZ2qciY
Boris Vian - Je Bois - 1955 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qXkV1e6yZY
Magali Noël - Fais-moi mal, Johnny - 1956 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LQWo_mhGXQ
René-Louis Lafforgue - Julie La Rousse - 1956 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZAWuCpo0wI
René-Louis Lafforgue - T'es bath...môme - 1956 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuP3oCdYSpA
Roger Guérin - Discord - 1959 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR6t4lkhEl4

For the Piaf fans, her hits on this period are:
Edith Piaf - Mon Légionnaire - 1936 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcgfHYY2bWQ
Edith Piaf - L'accordéoniste - 1940 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvTg2OJfrfg
Edith Piaf - La vie en rose - 1946 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFzViYkZAz4
Edith Piaf - Hymne à l'amour - 1950 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gTGmbA40ZQ
Edith Piaf - Padam Padam - 1951 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kya3c4WJZAk
Edith Piaf - Les amants d'un jour - 1956 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m-_FzubQx8
Edith Piaf - La foule - 1957 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgn8gZHJZzA
Edith Piaf - Mon manège à moi - 1958 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akRLH3ibGdA
Edith Piaf - Milord - 1959 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oromrP0iu3E

Charles Trenet :
Charles Trenet - Y'a d'la joie ! - 1936 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUDtHEUtjCM
Charles Trenet - Je chante - 1937 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrIFk05mR_U
Charles Trenet - Boum! - 1937 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moPbM7Co8CY
Charles Trénet - Que Reste-t'il de nos amours ? - 1942 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_uvgm2_hRk
Charles Trénet - Douce France - 1943 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij1vtzIFlMg
Charles Trenet - La mer - 1946 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd_nopTFuZA
Charles Trenet - Nationale 7 - 1955 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyFlkb7wMh8
Charles Trenet - Le jardin extraordinaire - 1957 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgbW6gGkAuU

Serge Gainsbourg:
Serge Gainsbourg - Le poinçonneur des lilas - 1958 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ZCvYg5-ZQ
Serge Gainsbourg - L'alcool - 1958 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szefebHz4qc
Serge Gainsbourg - Ce mortel ennui - 1958 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDfWsbdJpe0
Serge Gainsbourg - L'eau à la bouche - 1958 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iyNCs1Pzao
Serge Gainsbourg - L'anthracite - 1959 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FimdULsrSI8
Serge Gainsbourg - Indifférente - 1959 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k_grCFxVHs

Jacques Brel:
Jacques Brel - Quand on n'a que l'amour - 1956 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNMwYZiBFV0
Jacques Brel - La valse à mille temps - 1959 (what a good song) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkWpfqynQ5Q
Jacques Brel - Ne me quitte pas - 1959 (no comment, immediate goose bumps) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k63grkip5I

Charles Aznavour:
Charles Aznavour - Parce que - 1954 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NkME2HYO_c

Gilbert Bécaud:
Gilbert Bécaud - Je t'appartiens - 1955 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odBnFkQLi9M
Gilbert Bécaud - Le jour où la pluie viendra - 1957 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvbXk9xWSlM

Georges Brassens (the lyrics are hugely important for Brassens, even for the french, the level of...french is incredible:
Georges Brassens - La mauvaise réputation - 1952 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz9NOhwK1yo
Georges Brassens - Le gorille - 1952 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYWyQn50Mto
Georges Brassens - Le parapluie - 1952 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEsbM0gKrME
Georges Brassens - La chasse aux papillons - 1952 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOPBnbNxLDM
Georges Brassens - Hécatombe - 1952 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzmnDy7zzDw
Georges Brassens - Les amoureux des bancs publics - 1953 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eztSYUFUe8I
Georges Brassens - Brave Margot - 1953 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuxMhzKeozo
Georges Brassens - Pauvre Martin - 1953 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B2Sdler8Q8
Georges Brassens - La marine - 1953 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGHFKkgCUFw
Georges Brassens - Les sabots d'Hélène - 1954 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2M81jrdmvM
Georges Brassens - Chanson pour l'auvergnat - 1954 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZHVdQGhd8M
Georges Brassens - Je me suis fait tout p'tit - 1956 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i5HQgSiviI
Georges Brassens - Auprès de mon arbre - 1956 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYB_zv2xYOc
Georges Brassens - Au bois de mon coeur - 1957 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybvFVGSBegI
Georges Brassens - Le pornographe - 1958 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qehsE0DSMjM
Georges Brassens - La femme d'Hector - 1958 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EybZ6caaFFY
Georges Brassens - Le vieux Léon - 1958 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcI3_M4TOuc
Georges Brassens - Le cocu - 1958 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdcJRHM_Ah4

Maurice Chevalier:
Maurice Chevalier - Valentine - 1924 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxUpnYhnRUI This accent ! I have the same ! :mrgreen:
Maurice Chevalier - Prosper - 1935 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y2xfRFOILU
Maurice Chevalier - Dans la vie faut s'en faire - 1935 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ztw4UXCXew
Maurice Chevalier - Ah, si vous connaissiez ma poule - 1938 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pum1ZV3WitI

Classical Music:
Eric Satie - Je te veux - 1903 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQPGeJch3TE
Claude Debussy - La mer - 1905 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLAIJjWdJRQ
Claude Debussy - Ibéria - Images pour orchestre - 1905 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf09fecez2E
Maurice Ravel - Daphnis et Chloé - 1909 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHrstmOPKBQ
Claude Debussy - La cathédrale engloutie - Prélude 1909 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAVyKDDsM3s
Claude Debussy - La fille aux cheveux de lin - Prélude 1909 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF0xq51sxgM
Maurice Ravel - La valse - 1919 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMSgWhIENSk
Darius Milhaud - La Création du monde op.81 - 1923 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3GPtgY9hSQ
Maurice Ravel - Boléro - 1928 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aXwTPQQ1_U
Olivier Messiaen - Fête des belles eaux - 1937 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrYgm5MML58

A lot more to come for the french songs, for the rest, I think the recommandation will come from a lot of other forumers.
Last edited by Romain on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:25 am, edited 8 times in total.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Thanks for the tips, Sonofsamiam and Romain. I will definitely vote for some of those and listen to the ones I don't know.

And here's a mixed bag of popular songs before 1950 that might easily be overlooked. It's becoming abundantly clear that popular music has been in gradual decline since 1960. :wink:

Charles W. Harrison - I’m Always Chasing Rainbows
Billy Murray - K-K-K-Katy

Fanny Brice - Second Hand Rose

Marion Harris - It Had to Be You

Irving Aaronson & His Commanders - Let’s Misbehave (vocals: Phil Saxe)
Rudy Vallée and His Connecticut Yankees - Let’s Do It (Let’s Fall in Love)

Lotte Lenya - Alabama-Song
Harry Richman - Puttin’ on the Ritz
Annette Hanshaw - Happy Days Are Here Again
Marlene Dietrich - Ich bin von Kopf bis Fuss auf Liebe eingestelt

Rudy Vallée - As Time Goes By

Lupino Lane, Henry Hall & BBC Dance Orchestra - The Teddy Bear’s Picnic
The Boswell Sisters - Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Fred Astaire - Night and Day
Henry Hall - Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
William “Billy” Costello - I’m Popeye the Sailor Man
Freddy Martin - April in Paris

Ethel Merman - You’re the Top
The Boswell Sisters - Rock and Roll
Ben Selvin - I Only Have Eyes for You

Ray Ventura - Tout va très bien, Madame la Marquise
Fats Waller - I’m Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter

Harlem Hamfats - Weed Smoker’s Dream
Trio Lescano - La canzone delle mosche
Will Glahé - Rosamunde
The Monroe Brothers - New River Train

Billie Holiday - They Can’t Take That Away from Me
Billie Holiday - Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off
George Formby - Leaning on a Lamp Post
Adriana Caselotti - Someday My Prince Will Come

Charles Trenet - Boum
Golden Gate Quartet - When the Saints Go Marching In
Trixie Smith - My Daddy Rocks Me (with One Steady Roll)

Golden Gate Quartet - Way Down in Egyptland
Lale Andersen - Lili Marleen
Frank Sinatra - All or Nothing at All
Cab Calloway - The Jumpin’ Jive
Ella Fitzgerald & Chick Webb - T’ain’t What You Do (It’s the Way That You Do It)
Lead Belly - Black Betty
Flanagan & Allen - We’re Going to Hang Out the Washing on The Siegfried Line

Bing Crosby - Beautiful Dreamer
Frank Sinatra & Tommy Dorsey and His Orchestra - Fools Rush In
Lee Wiley - But Not for Me
Billie Holiday - The Man I Love

Emilio Tuero - Besame mucho
Frank Sinatra - Embraceable You

Peggy Lee & Benny Goodman - Why Don’t You Do Right?
The Mills Brothers - Paper Doll
Dinah Shore - You’d Be So Nice to Come Home To
The Andrews Sisters - Don’t Sit Under the Apple Tree
The Andrews Sisters - Strip Polka
Vera Lynn - The White Cliffs of Dover
Sister Rosetta Tharpe & Lucky Millinder Band - Rock Me

Bing Crosby & The Andrews Sisters - Jingle Bells
Rudi Schuricke - Capri-Fischer

Judy Garland - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Lee Wiley - Someone to Watch over Me
Johnny Mercer & the Pied Pipers - Ac-Cent-Tu-Ate the Positive
Frank Sinatra - Saturday Night (Is the Loneliest Night of the Week)
Margaret Whiting - Moonlight in Vermont
The Four King Sisters - It’s Love-Love-Love

The Andrews Sisters - Rum and Coca Cola
Doris Day - Sentimental Journey
Golden Gate Quartet - Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho
Vaughn Monroe - Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

Billie Holiday - Don’t Explain
Golden Gate Quartet - Swing Down, Sweet Chariot
Ethel Merman - There’s No Business Like Show Business
Ethel Merman & Ray Middleton - Anything You Can Do
Anita Kert Ellis - Put the Blame on Mame
James Baskett - Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
Arthur Crudup - That's All Right
Pearl Bailey - Personality

Merle Travis - Sixteen Tons

Gloria Wood - The Woody Woodpecker Song
Jacques Hélian - C'est si bon
Spike Jones - William Tell Overture

Sarah Vaughan - Black Coffee
Paul Williams - The Hucklebuck
Dinah Shore & Buddy Clark - Baby, It’s Cold Outside
Jimmy Preston - Rock the Joint
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Outstanding recommendations, everyone! I'm looking forward to getting through as many unfamiliar selections as possible (and I'm thrilled to see there are plenty of them). I'm especially excited about re-familiarizing myself with Mahler's work, since he's my dad's all-time favorite composer, and it will be sure to bring back a lot of childhood memories.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Now, guys, don't forget Bessie Smith's classic Downhearted Blues. It's from 1923, and it's a true gem.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

This 1959 recording by Herbert von Karajan of Antonin Dvorak's New World Symphony and Bedrich Smetana's The Moldeau, conveniently grouped together in one official album, is a beautiful recording of the Dvorak symphony. Highly recommended listen.

nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Hi
I'm so glad this poll happens ! I'm an ultimate fan of early 20th century music !
Unfortunately I haven't much time (I'm part of the older AM pioneers with now a job a family and so few time...), so I'm giving you my 1900-1949 playlist I did last time. There's a lot of great music there. Enjoy !

bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Here are some classical albums with music composed after 1900 and recorded before 1960:

1947 Bruno Walter & New York Philharmonic - Symphony No. 5 (Mahler)
1950 The Hollywood String Quartet - Verklärte Nacht, Op. 4 (Schoenberg)
1953 Kleiber, Mitropoulos, Szigeti & NBC Symphony Orchestra - Tre pezzi da "Wozzeck"; Concerto per Violino (Berg)
1956 Fritz Reiner & Chicago Symphony Orchestra - Concerto for Orchestra (Bartók)
1956 Pierre Monteux & Boston Symphony Orchestra - La Mer; Nocturnes (Debussy)
1958 Leonard Bernstein & New York Philharmonic - Le Sacre du printemps (Stravinsky)
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Bumping this thread up.

Now these two albums by Ravi Shankar are definite must hears. I love India's Master Musician from 1958, but Three Classical Ragas are also stunning.

Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Today 01/05/2016 enters on the public domain one of the most famous music works in the world: The Boléro of Maurice Ravel.
With thousand of covers, an orchestration masterpiece. Don't forget it ;-)

The wikipedia page is not bad for understand the structure of the music.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bol%C3%A9ro_%28Ravel%29

Karajan
Béjart Ballet
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Hello everyone. :greetings-waveyellow:

Well, what a joy it has been to listen to songs for this poll (so far)!

I'll start with non-classical recommendations for the 1900-1949 songs poll. If I were to make a list of 100 songs from this period that are not classical works, then (at the moment) the 100 songs below would likely have made my list. I'll post classical recommendations as well as recommendations for the 1950s songs poll another time.

Thank you to everyone who has posted here. I have made some wonderful discoveries from the lists posted for the previous polls in the old forum, but also from everyone who has posted recommendations here. And I'm looking forward to discovering more in the months to come.

Non-Anglophone / World Music

FRANCE
Édith Piaf - La vie en rose | 1945 | Chanson
Édith Piaf - L'Accordéoniste | 1940 | Chanson
Charles Trenet - La mer | 1946 | Chanson
Yves Montand - Les feuilles mortes | 1949 | Chanson
Émile Vacher - Reine de musette | 1927 | Musette
Lucienne Boyer - Parlez-moi d'amour | 1930 | Chanson

CUBA
Trio Matamoros - Son de la Loma | 1928 | Bolero Son
Trio Matamoros - Lágrimas negras | 1932 | Bolero Son
Antonio Machín - Dos gardenias | 1947 | Bolero Son
Lecuona Cuban Boys - Amapola | 1935 | Rhumba, Bolero
Don Azpiazú and His Havana Casino Orchestra - The Peanut Vender (El manicero) | 1930 | Rhumba

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
The Tiger - Money Is King | 1935 | Calypso
Lord Invader - Rum and Coca-Cola | 1943 | Calypso

GERMANY
Marlene Dietrich - Lili Marleen | 1945 | Cabaret, Traditional Pop
Comedian Harmonists - Veronika, der Lenz ist da | 1930 | Close Harmony

ITALY
Trio Lescano - La canzone delle mosche | 1936 | Swing, Traditional Pop
Enrico Caruso - O sole mio | 1916 | Canzone Napoletana

ARGENTINA
Carlos Gardel - Por una cabeza | 1935 | Tango
Oscar Alemán - Tico Tico no fuba | 1943 | Swing, Samba

URUGUAY/ARGENTINA
Osvaldo Fresedo - La cumprasita | 1943 | Tango
The composer Gerardo Matos Rodríguez was from Uruguay, but the performer Osvaldo Fresedo was from Argentina.

BRAZIL/SPAIN
Xavier Cugat and His Orchestra with The Cugat Chorus - Brazil (Aquarela do Brasil) | 1943 | Rhumba, Big Band
Composer Ary Barroso was from Brazil. Spanish performers.

MEXICO/SPAIN
Xavier Cugat and His Orchestra with Carmen Castillo - Amor | 1944 | Bolero
Composer Gabriel Ruiz was from Mexico. Spanish performers.

PERU
Yma Sumac - Vírgenes del Sol | 1943 | Andean Folk Music

GREECE
Michalis Patrinos - Misirlou | 1930 | Rembetika

SOUTH AFRICA
Solomon Linda's Original Evening Birds - Mbube | 1939 | Mbube

USA
Alfred Apaka - Na Moku Eha | 1947 | Hawaiian Music
Lydia Mendoza - Mal hombre | 1934 | Tejano
Lydia Mendoza - Olvidarte jamás | 1935 | Norteño
Dizzy Gillespie - Manteca | 1948 | Afro-Cuban Jazz, Bebop
Four "world music" songs from the USA, including a fabulous Hawaiian tune and two Mexican-American numbers by Lydia Mendoza. I have also included Dizzy Gillespie's "Manteca" because of its obvious Afro-Cuban sound.

Anglophone

UK
Vera Lynn - The White Cliffs of Dover | 1942 | Traditional Pop

USA
Blues:
Lead Belly - Goodnight Irene | 1936 | Country Blues
Lead Belly - Where Did You Sleep Last Night | 1944 | Delta Blues
Lead Belly - Black Betty | 1939 | Delta Blues
Robert Johnson - Love in Vain | 1937 | Delta Blues
Robert Johnson - Cross Road Blues | 1936 | Delta Blues
Blind Willie McTell - Statesboro Blues | 1928 | Piedmont Blues
Mississippi John Hurt - Stack O' Lee Blues | 1928 | Acoustic Blues
Bessie Smith - Empty Bed Blues | 1928 | Blues
Ma Rainey - Prove It on Me Blues | 1928 | Jug Band, Vaudeville Blues
Lucille Bogan - B.D. Woman's Blues | 1935 | Blues
Casey Bill Weldon - You Just As Well Let Her Go | 1936 | Country Blues
Professor Longhair - Mardi Gras in New Orleans | 1949 | New Orleans Blues
John Lee Hooker - Boogie Chillen | 1948 | Electric Blues
Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup - That's All Right | 1947 | Rhythm & Blues, Electric Blues
Lightnin' Hopkins - Baby, Please Don't Go | 1949 | Country Blues
Blind Willie Johnson - Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground | 1927 | Acoustic Blues

Bluegrass:
Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs - Foggy Mountain Breakdown | 1949 | Bluegrass
The Monroe Brothers - Nine Pound Hammer Is Too Heavy | 1936 | Bluegrass
Bill Monroe - Blue Moon of Kentucky | 1947 | Bluegrass
The Stanley Brothers - Little Maggie | 1948 | Bluegrass

Hank Williams - Move It on Over | 1947 | Country, Honky Tonk
Hank Williams - Lovesick Blues | 1949 | Country
Hank Williams - I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry | 1949 | Country
Jimmie Rodgers - Gambling Bar Room Blues | 1932 | Country
Jimmie Rodgers - Blue Yodel (T for Texas) | 1928 | Country, Yodeling
Jimmie Davis - You Are My Sunshine | 1940 | Country
The Carter Family - Keep on the Sunny Side | 1928 | Country
Patsy Montana - I Wanna Be a Cowboy's Sweetheart | 1935 | Country, Yodeling
Peggy Lee - Riders in the Sky (A Cowboy Legend) | 1949 | Country, Traditional Pop
Roy Acuff - Wreck on the Highway | 1942 | Country
Al Dexter - Pistol Packin' Mama | 1943 | Honky Tonk, Country
Woody Guthrie - Pretty Boy Floyd | 1945 | Folk, Country

Vocal Jazz:
Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit | 1939 | Vocal Jazz
Billie Holiday is my favourite songs artist from the first half of the 20th century. And I can't imagine there ever being another protest song that I would find as touching and powerful as this one.
Billie Holiday - The Man I Love | 1940 | Vocal Jazz
Billie Holiday - Summertime | 1936 | Vocal Jazz
Billie Holiday - I'll Be Seeing You | 1944 | Vocal Jazz
Billie Holiday - All of Me | 1941 | Vocal Jazz
Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Jordan - Baby, It's Cold Outside | 1949 | Vocal Jazz
Ella Fitzgerald - Guilty | 1947 | Vocal Jazz
Louis Armstrong - St. James Infirmary | 1928 | Dixieland Jazz, Vocal Jazz
Bessie Smith - Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out | 1929 | Vocal Jazz, Vaudeville Blues
Betty Hutton - It Had to Be You | 1944 | Vocal Jazz
Les Brown & His Orchestra with Doris Day - Sentimental Journey | 1944 | Vocal Jazz, Big Band

Swing:
The Andrews Sisters - Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy | 1941 | Swing, Traditional Pop
The Andrews Sisters - Say "Si Si" | 1940 | Swing, Traditional Pop
Glenn Miller - In the Mood | 1939 | Swing, Big Band
Duke Ellington - Take the "A" Train | 1941 | Swing, Big Band
Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five - Choo Choo Ch'Boogie | 1946 | Jump-Blues, Swing
Cab Calloway - Minnie the Moocher | 1931 | Swing, Jazz
Count Basie - One O'Clock Jump | 1937 | Swing

Traditional Pop:
Nat King Cole - Nature Boy | 1947 | Traditional Pop
The USA certainly produced some wonderfully diverse music in the first half of the 20th century, from rootsy blues and country to more sophisticated jazz. It turns out that I also have a soft spot for traditional pop ballads, and Nat King Cole is my favourite artist of that genre. His voice affects me like no other singer's - basically, he sings and I melt. To me, his voice sounds both soothing and wise, if that makes any sense. And it's because of this soothing, wise nature of his voice that the lyrics "the greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return" have had a more profound effect on me than any other lyrics I've heard.
Nat King Cole - (I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons | 1946 | Traditional Pop, Vocal Jazz
Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas to You) | 1946 | Traditional Pop
Fred Astaire - Cheek to Cheek | 1935 | Traditional Pop
Fred Astaire - The Way You Look Tonight | 1936 | Traditional Pop
Judy Garland - Over the Rainbow | 1939 | Traditional Pop
The Ink Spots - If I Didn't Care | 1939 | Traditional Pop, Vocal Jazz
The Ink Spots & Ella Fitzgerald - Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall | 1944 | Traditional Pop, Vocal Jazz
Bing Crosby & The Andrews Sisters - Don't Fence Me In | 1944 | Traditional Pop
Fats Waller - Ain't Misbehavin' | 1929 | Stride, Traditional Pop
The Cats and the Fiddle - I Miss You So | 1940 | Traditional Pop
Dooley Wilson - As Time Goes By | 1942 | Traditional Pop, Vocal Jazz
The Orioles - It's Too Soon to Know | 1948 | Doo-Wop, Traditional Pop
The Pied Pipers - Dream | 1945 | Traditional Pop, Vocal Jazz
The Mills Brothers - You Always Hurt the One You Love | 1944 | Traditional Pop
Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra with Jack Leonard - All the Things You Are | 1940 | Traditional Pop
Jo Stafford - Some Enchanted Evening | 1949 | Traditional Pop
Harry Richman - Puttin’ on the Ritz | 1930 | Big Band, Traditional Pop

Film Music

USA
Max Steiner - Tara's Theme (from Gone with the Wind) | 1939 | Film Music

AUSTRIA
Anton Karas - Harry Lime Theme (from The Third Man) | 1949 | Film Music
...will keep us together.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Great list Dan ! (as always).
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Thanks Nicolas. I stole a few songs from the list you posted in the old forum, especially in the genres of blues and country. For example, I had never heard Roy Acuff's "Wreck on the Highway", but I liked it instantly, and I instantly understood why you would like it too. It made me think about how bizarre it is that you, a Frenchman, and me, a Britain-dwelling South African, can sometimes have a strong affection for such a foreign American genre as country. I guess it's because we both like the honesty and down-to-earth simplicity of the good country tunes. Our shared love for roots music and world music is all kinds of wonderful to me. And I can totally relate to your oldies madness.

[imgsize 100x115]http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep ... dies-3.png[/imgsize]
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Bruce Springsteen once talked about "the humor and gravity of country music" and that's what I love too in that kind of music
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I just wanted to thank everyone again for all these tremendous lists of recommendations (and also let everyone know that I haven't forgotten about this!). I'm listening to as many songs/albums as I can before the deadline. If nobody posts a list in the submissions thread earlier, I'll probably give that thread a bump in about a month or so. Since the deadline isn't until October 31, I don't expect any lists yet, given that we're all probably trying to hear as much music as we can from this great era first. If anyone is ready, though, feel free to use the submission thread. (And remember, you can change your list at anytime.) I'm hoping every list won't come in the last week of October, but it's fine if they do. Since mine will likely be one of those, I'm preparing for it!
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Brad was kind enough to give the poll thread itself a bump; and now I'm bumping the recommendation thread so that others (including me) can listen to more of these. (Four and a half months seems like a long time, but October 31st will be here before we know it!)
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

That reminds me. I want to highly recommend Lead Belly's Negro Sinful Songs from 1939! It is a pretty good album. You can find it in a playlist on YouTube. It's better than nothing, right? And it's a very good album. Check it out.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

I will post a full list of recommendations later, but firstly I want to highlight a few particular artists.

Washington Phillips
Washington Phillips accompanies himself on a home-made fingered fretless zither (made from broken discarded instruments) that has been called a "dulceola". His uniqueness is enhanced by his idiosyncratic lyrics: ‘The Church Needs Good Deacons’; " But instead of being the deacon that he really ought to be, he won’t put up with one honest woman, he will try to live with two or three. A man like that is in a bad fix and he thinks he’s doing very well and the devil has got him by the hand just leading him all in hell."
‘Denomination Blues’ is ranked #4 on my 00-49 list at present.

Atilla the Hun
You can see from the song titles that his interests were political. Wikipedia: "Known as a defender of the poor, Atilla was able to transition to a political career. When several of his records were censored he composed "The Banning of Records", which was itself banned. Atilla was the first calypsonian to hold elected public office; he was elected to the Port of Spain City Council in 1946 and was elected to the Legislative Council of Trinidad and Tobago in 1950 representing the St. George County East."
Easily my favourite Calypsonian, his lyrics are endlessly quotable. ‘Commission's Report’; "It states that the riots were terrible and Butler was responsible. I can say independently; The report was a revelation to me." ‘Treasury Scandal’; "That someone stole it we can’t deny for money hasn’t got wings and it cannot fly."
‘Treasury Scandal’ is ranked #27 on my 00-49 list at present.

Geeshie Wiley
Wikipedia: "was an American blues singer and guitar player. She recorded six songs, issued on three records, in 1930 and 1931. Little else is known about her. There are no known photographs or images of her."
‘Last Kind Words Blues’ was covered by Rhiannon Giddens as the opening track in her 2015 album, Tomorrow Is My Turn. ‘Last Kind Words Blues’ is ranked #12 on my 00-49 list at present.

Wendo Kolosoy
Wikipedia: "His first international hit, in 1948, was "Marie-Louise", co-written with guitarist Henri Bowane. Through the publicity of "Radio Congolia", along with the controversy which followed the song (a back-and-forth between Wendo and Henri over Wendo's pursuit of a girl, thwarted by Henri's wealth, with salacious undertones), the song became a success throughout West Africa. With its success came trouble: the song had "satanic" powers attributed to it by Catholic religious leaders. Stories from the time even claimed that the song, if played at midnight, could raise the dead. The furor drove Wendo out of Kinshasa, and resulted in a brief imprisonment by the Belgian authorities in Stanleyville and his excommunication from the Catholic Church. The combination of African lyrics and vocals with Afro-Cuban rhythms and instrumentation (particularly son cubano) spawned one of the most successful African musical genres: soukous, popularly known as "Congolese rumba"."
No kidding, this is like the Lucy of central African music. ‘Marie-Louise’ is ranked #64 on my 00-49 list at present.

Lil Green
Quite well known I think, but I just wanted to give her a boost.
‘Why Don't You Do Right?’ is ranked #11 on my 00-49 list at present.
EmilienDelRey
Unquestionable Presence

Post by EmilienDelRey »

Last edited by EmilienDelRey on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Claude Debussy / Walter Gieseking - Clair De Lune (1905)
Aaron Copeland - Fanfare for the Common Man (1943)
Harpers Bizarre - The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy) (1957)
Bobby Darin - Splish Splash (1958)
James P. Johnson - Carolina Shout (1922)
Sergei Prokofiev, Slovak State Philharmonic Orchestra - Romeo and Juliet, Op. 64: Montagues and Capulets (Kosice) (1935)
Paris Sisters - Love How You Love Me (1945)
Nat King Cole - Unforgettable (1951)
Chiffons - Sweet Talkin' Guy (1954)
Bobby Darin - Dream Lover (1959)
The Coasters - Charlie Brown (1959)
Enrico Caruso - Vesti la glubba (1907)
The Peerless Quartet - Let Me Call You Sweetheart (1911)
Chauncey Olcott - When Irish Eyes Are Smiling (1913)
Enrico Caruso - O sole mio (1916)
Nora Bayes - Over There (1917)
Eubie Blake - Charleston Rag (1921)
Jelly Roll Morton - King Porter Stomp (1924)
Ma Rainey - See See Rider Blues (1925)
Louis Armstrong - Potato Head Blues (1927)
Al Jolson - My Mammy (1928)
Louis Armstron - Star Dust (1931)
Django Reinhardt - Lady Be Good (1936)
Tommy Dorsey - I'm In the Mood For Love (1937)
Django Reinhardt - I'll See You In My Dreams (1937)
Django Reinhardt - Sweet Georgia Brown (1937)
Nat King Cole - Honeysuckle Rose (1940)
Harry James - You Made Me Love You (I Didn't Want to Do It) (1941)
Nat King Cole - Boogie a La King (1941)
Dieuzy's Dixieland Band - Dixieland Daddy (1942)
Scott Hamilton - A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley (1942)
Nat King Cole - It Only Happens Once (1945)
Nat King Cole - I Used to Love You (But It's All Over Now) (1945)
Nat King Cole - Rosetta (1945)
Leonard Bernstein - La Creation du Monde (1945)
Nat King Cole - These Foolish Things (1947)
Leonard Bernstein - Octet for Wind Instruments: Tema con variazioni (1947)
Nat King Cole - Early Morning Blues (1949)
Tommy Dorsey - Opus One (1949)
Tommy Dorsey - Summertime (1949)
Stan Getz - Little Girl Blue (1950)
Charlie Parkier - Relaxin' With Lee (Complete Take) (1950)
Les Paul and Mary Ford - Dialog & In the Mood (1951)
Stan Getz - Here's That Rainy Day (1952)
Professor Longhair - "G" Jam (1953)
Miles Davis - Godchild (1954)
Miles Davis - Will You Still Be Mine (1954)
Frank Sinatra - Come Fly With Me (1955)
Frank Sinatra - Love and Marriage (1955)
Stan Getz and Lionel Hampton - Cherokee (1955)
Stan Getz and Lionel Hampton - Gladya (1955)
Nat King Cole - Stompin' Down Broadway (1955)
Meade "lux" Lewis - Honky Tonk Train Blues (1955)
Clyde McPhatter - Treasure of Love (1956)
Ella Fitzgerald - The Sun Forgot to Shine This Morning (1956)
John Coltrane - Every Time We Say Goodbye (1957)
Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear (1957)
Stan Getz - Detour Ahead (1957)
Ella Fitzgerald - The Christmas Song (1957)
Thelonious Monk - Sweet & Lovely (1957)
Clyde McPhatter - A Lover's Question (1958)
LaVern Baker - I Cried a Tear (1958)
The Crests - Sixteen Candles (1958)
Bill Evans - Israel (1958)
Miles Davis - Two Bass Hit (1958)
Buddy Holly - Words of Love (1958)
Dave Brubeck - Ain't Misbehavin' (1959)
Dave Brubeck - Jump for Joy (1959)
Paul Anka - Put Your Head on My Shoulder (1959)
Miles Davis - Deception (1959)
Ornette Coleman - Compassion (1959)
Ornette Coleman - Endless (1959)
Compay Segundo - Yo Vengo Aqui (1959)
Dave Brubeck - Strange Meadow Lark (1959)
Miles Davis - All Blues (1959)
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

More recommendations not mentioned by anyone else - some of them are on Nicolas's highly recommended playlist.

sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

OK, here are my refined recommendations -- basically, I have revised my all-time 3000 song poll, and grabbed out of there what fell into these years. Here they are in order by year, and by placement in my list. Those with a BUBB are bubbling under. I'm sure I'll revise again when we actually vote, of course... :music-rockon:

0584 | Sergei Rachmaninoff | Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor: III. Allegro scherzando
2799 | Gustav Mahler | Symphony No. 4: I. Bedächtig, nicht eilen

1021 | Gustav Mahler | Symphony No. 5 in C sharp minor: Adagietto
1941 | Scott Joplin | The Entertainer
BUBB | Jean Sibelius | Symphony No. 2: IV.

1251 | Maurice Ravel | String Quartet: II. Assez vif – très rythmé

40 | Claude Debussy | Clair de lune
784 | Claude Debussy | Dialogue du vent et de la mer
1409 | Richard Strauss | Dance of the Seven Veils
BUBB | Maurice Ravel | Oiseaux tristes

1197 | Alexander Scriabin | Le poème de l'extase

1881 | Anton Webern | Passacaglia for Orchestra
2193 | Arnold Schoenberg | String Quartet No. 2: IV
2637 | Charles Ives | The Unanswered Question
2825 | Claude Debussy | The Snow Is Dancing
BUBB | Sergei Rachmaninoff | Isle of the Dead

1012 | Sergei Rachmaninoff | Piano Concerto No. 3: I. Allegro ma non tanto

0233 | Igor Stravinsky | The Firebird: Finale
0718 | Gustav Mahler | Symphony No. 9 in D minor: I. Andante comodo
1501 | Claude Debussy | The Submerged Cathedral

0357 | Igor Stravinsky | The Shrove-Tide Fair

0561 | Charles Ives | Three Places in New England: II. Putnam's Camp, Redding, Connecticut
0803 | Maurice Ravel | Daphnis et Chloe, Suite No. 2
2363 | Leos Janáček | Sinfonietta, I.

0019 | Igor Stravinsky | Ritual of the Ancestors/Sacrificial Dance
0074 | Igor Stravinsky | Augurs of Spring/Ritual of Abduction
2112 | Claude Debussy | Jeux

2068 | Jean Sibelius | Symphony No. 5: III.
BUBB | Sergei Prokofiev | The Evil God and the Dance of the Pagan Monsters
BUBB | Richard Strauss | Eine Alpensinfonie

1229 | Charles Ives | Symphony No. 4, II.
2371 | Carl Nielsen | Symphony No. 4: IV. Allegro
2947 | Gustav Holst | Mars, The Bringer of War

1867 | Béla Bartók | Duke Bluebeard's Castle: Door 5

2893 | Rued Langgaard | Music of the Spheres

2175 | Ralph Vaughan Williams | Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
2423 | Edward Elgar | Cello Concerto in E minor: I. Adagio

0272 | Sergei Prokofiev | Piano Concerto No. 3: I. Andante - Allegro

0479 | Bessie Smith | Graveyard Dream Blues
1185 | Sergei Prokofiev | Piano Concerto No. 2 in G minor: IV. Finale: Allegro tempestoso
1911 | Igor Stravinsky | Octet: I. Sinfonia
BUBB | Bessie Smith | Downhearted Blues

0144 | George Gershwin | Rhapsody In Blue
0742 | Jean Sibelius | Symphony No. 7
1198 | Béla Bartók | The Miraculous Mandarin

1830 | George Gershwin | Piano Concerto in F: III. Allegro agitato
2360 | Ben Bernie Orchestra | Sweet Georgia Brown
BUBB | Henry Cowell | The Banshee

1660 | Giacomo Puccini | Nessun Dorma
2258 | Jelly Roll Morton | Dead Man Blues
2494 | Louis Armstrong | Cornet Chop Suey
BUBB | Béla Bartók | Piano Concerto No. 1: I. Allegro moderato - Allegro
BUBB | Leos Janácek | Glagolitic Mass: V. Věruju

0560 | Edgard Varèse | Amériques
0913 | Arnold Schoenberg | String Quartet No. 3: I. Moderato
2099 | Blind Lemon Jefferson | See That My Grave Is Kept Clean
2918 | Duke Ellington | Black and Tan Fantasy

0055 | Blind Willie Johnson | Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground
0238 | Louis Armstrong | West End Blues
0255 | Béla Bartók | String Quartet No. 4: I. Allegro
0376 | Arnold Schoenberg | Variations for Orchestra: IX: L'istesso Tempo
0757 | Anton Webern | Symphony, Op. 21
1103 | Leos Janácek | String Quartet No. 2 "Intimate Letters": III. Andante - Adagio
1333 | Mississippi John Hurt | Stack O' Lee Blues
1474 | Maurice Ravel | Boléro
1610 | Duke Ellington | The Mooche
2274 | Bessie Smith | I'd Rather Be Dead and Buried In My Grave
2723 | Blind Willie McTell | Statesboro Blues
BUBB | The Carter Family | Wildwood Flower

0395 | Louis Armstrong | St. James Infirmary
0856 | Fats Waller | Ain't Misbehavin'
1390 | Charley Patton | High Water Everywhere
1757 | Bessie Smith | Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
2583 | Blind Willie Johnson | Lord I Just Can't Keep from Crying

0326 | Son House | Death Letter
0695 | Blind Willie Johnson | John The Revelator
1404 | Igor Stravinsky | Symphony of Psalms: II. Expectans expectavi dominum
1837 | Duke Ellington | Mood Indigo
2288 | Jimmie Rodgers | Blue Yodel #9 (Standing on the Corner)
BUBB | Blind Willie Johnson | Praise God I'm Satisfied

0595 | Maurice Ravel | Piano Concerto in G major: I. Allagremente
0611 | Béla Bartók | Piano Concerto No. 2: I. Allegro
1278 | Edgard Varèse | Ionisation
1452 | Louis Armstrong | Star Dust
1475 | Skip James | Hard Time Killin' Floor Blues
2057 | Skip James | Devil Got My Woman
2142 | Igor Stravinsky | Violin Concerto: I. Toccata
2550 | Carl Ruggles | Sun-Treader

0633 | Art Tatum | Tiger Rag
1068 | Duke Ellington | It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)

2236 | Sergei Rachmaninoff | Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini
2240 | Béla Bartók | String Quartet No. 5: V.

0865 | The Carter Family | Can The Circle Be Unbroken (Bye and Bye)
0884 | Alban Berg | Violin Concerto: I. Andante / Allegretto
1798 | Blind Willie McTell | Lord, Send Me an Angel
2081 | Alban Berg | Lulu (Final Scene)
BUBB | William Walton | Symphony No. 1: I. Allegro assai

0382 | Béla Bartók | Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta: III. Adagio
0587 | Sergei Prokofiev | Montagues and Capulets
1386 | Carl Orff | O Fortuna
1583 | Robert Johnson | If I Had Possession Over Judgment Day
2223 | Duke Ellington | Caravan
BUBB | Duke Ellington | Echoes of Harlem (Concerto for Cootie)

0321 | Robert Johnson | Hellhound on My Trail
0726 | Benny Goodman | Sing, Sing, Sing
1033 | Django Reinhardt | Limehouse Blues
1112 | Dmitri Shostakovich | Symphony No. 5: IV. Allegro non troppo
1552 | Raymond Scott | Powerhouse
1674 | Ella Fitzgerald | When I Get Low, I Get High
BUBB | Count Basie | One o'Clock Jump

1553 | Samuel Barber | Adagio for Strings
1735 | Igor Stravinsky | Concerto in E-flat "Dumbarton Oaks": I. Tempo giusto
1822 | Heitor Villa-Lobos | Bachianas Brasilieras No. 1
2553 | Béla Bartók | Violin Concerto No. 2: I. Allegro non troppo
2875 | Artie Shaw | Nightmare
BUBB | Bohuslav Martinů | Double Concerto for Two String Orchestras, Piano, and Timpani: II. Largo

0001 | Billie Holiday | Strange Fruit
0265 | John Cage | Imaginary Landscape No. 1
1487 | Billie Holiday | Them There Eyes
1619 | Joaquin Rodrigo | Concierto de Aranjuez: II. Adagio
1743 | Art Tatum | Tea for Two
1900 | Count Basie with Lester Young | Lester Leaps In
2179 | Lionel Hampton | Wizzin' The Wizz
2267 | Judy Garland | Over the Rainbow
2470 | John Cage | First Construction (In Metal)
2696 | Robert Johnson | Love in Vain Blues
2790 | Coleman Hawkins | Body and Soul
BUBB | Leadbelly | The Gallis Pole

0886 | Duke Ellington | Harlem Air Shaft
1440 | Woody Guthrie | I Ain't Got No Home in This World Anymore
1629 | Django Reinhardt | Nuages
1782 | Jimmie Davis | You Are My Sunshine
2610 | Bukka White | Parchman Farm Blues
BUBB | Woody Guthrie | Pretty Boy Floyd

0155 | Duke Ellington | Take the 'A' Train
0411 | Olivier Messiaen | Fouillis d'arcs-en-ciel, pour l'Ange qui annonce la fin du temps
0480 | Billie Holiday | God Bless The Child
0735 | Billie Holiday | Gloomy Sunday

0290 | Dizzy Gillespie | A Night In Tunisia
0631 | Arnold Schoenberg | Piano Concerto
1092 | Aaron Copland | Hoedown
1609 | Lionel Hampton | Flying Home
BUBB | Aaron Copland | Fanfare for the Common Man

0698 | Duke Ellington | Come Sunday
0725 | Béla Bartók | Concerto for Orchestra: V. Finale
1418 | Leadbelly | Goodnight Irene
2214 | Paul Hindemith | Symphonic Metamorphosis on Themes of Carl Maria von Weber, I.

0845 | Leadbelly | Where Did You Sleep Last Night?
0889 | Thelonious Monk | 'Round Midnight
1307 | Olivier Messiaen | Vingt regards sur l'enfant-Jésus: Noel
1568 | Sergei Prokofiev | Symphony No. 5 in B flat major, Op. 100: II. Allegro marcato
2896 | The Ink Spots | Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall

0322 | Woody Guthrie | 1913 Massacre
0613 | Mary Lou Williams | Aries
0697 | Charlie Parker | Ko Ko
0722 | Dizzy Gillespie | Salt Peanuts
1392 | Sister Rosetta Tharpe | Up Above My Head, I Hear Music In The Air
2951 | Igor Stravinsky | Symphony in Three Movements: III. Con moto

0412 | Charlie Parker | Ornithology
1680 | Louis Jordan | Choo Choo Ch'Boogie
2522 | Charlie Parker | Yardbird Suite
2867 | Arthur Honegger | Symphony No. 3 "Symphonie Liturgique": I. Dies irae
2926 | Stan Kenton | Artistry in Rhythm
BUBB | Dmitri Shostakovich | String Quartet No. 3: III. Allegro non troppo

1344 | Dizzy Gillespie | Manteca
1661 | Thelonious Monk | Epistrophy
2137 | Édith Piaf | La vie en rose
2496 | Thelonious Monk | Misterioso
2517 | Jimpson | No More, My Lord
BUBB | Geirr Tveitt | Piano Concerto #4, "Aurora Borealis": II. Glittering in the winter heavens

0091 | Olivier Messiaen | Turangalîla-Symphonie: I. Introduction
0890 | John Lee Hooker | Boogie Chillen
1536 | John Cage | Sonatas I-IV for prepared piano
2042 | Nat King Cole | Nature Boy
2181 | Muddy Waters | I Can't Be Satisfied
2238 | John Lee Hooker | Crawlin' King Snake
2300 | Richard Strauss | Im Abendrot
2320 | Olivier Messiaen | Joy of The Blood of The Stars
2582 | Mahalia Jackson | Move on Up a Little Higher
BUBB | John Cage | Suite for Toy Piano

0537 | Hank Williams | Lost Highway
0541 | Louis Jordan | Saturday Night Fish Fry
1046 | Hank Williams | I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
1366 | Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs | Foggy Mountain Breakdown
BUBB | Lightnin' Hopkins | Baby Please Don't Go

1374 | Yma Sumac | Xtabay (Lure of The Unknown Love)
2250 | Charlie Parker | Just Friends
2547 | Galina Ustvolskaya | Octet
2669 | Sarah Vaughan | Summertime
BUBB | Francis Poulenc | Stabat mater dolorosa

0200 | Stan Kenton | Entrance Into The City
0371 | Thelonious Monk | Straight, No Chaser
0596 | Duke Ellington | The Tattooed Bride
1646 | Dmitri Shostakovich | Prelude and Fugue No. 1 in C Major
2016 | Les Baxter | Quiet Village
2231 | The Stanley Brothers | I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow
2268 | Bud Powell | Un poco loco
2276 | Machito | Rhumba Abierta
2611 | Howlin' Wolf | Moanin' at Midnight
2670 | Elmore James | Dust My Broom
2903 | Mahalia Jackson | His Eye is on the Sparrow
BUBB | Thelonious Monk | Criss Cross

0166 | Mahalia Jackson | In the Upper Room
1074 | Carl Stalling | Anxiety Montage
2456 | Georges Brassens | Le Gorille
2785 | Hank Williams | I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive

0565 | Dmitri Shostakovich | Symphony No. 10 In E Minor - II. Allegro
1957 | Moondog | Theme and Variations
1975 | Lennie Tristano | Descent Into the Maelstrom
2963 | Professor Longhair and His Blues Scholars | Tipitina

0115 | Chet Baker | I Get Along Without You Very Well
0186 | Iannis Xenakis | Metastasis
0362 | Edgard Varèse | Déserts
0517 | Chet Baker | Time After Time
0814 | Elvis Presley | That's All Right (Mama)
0941 | Sarah Vaughan | Lullabye of Birdland
1160 | Chet Baker | But Not for Me
2196 | Witold Lutoslawski | Concerto for Orchestra: Intrada
2257 | Chet Baker | My Funny Valentine
BUBB | Pierre Boulez | L'artisanat furieux
BUBB | Frank Sinatra | I've Got the World on a String

0222 | Johnny Cash | Folsom Prison Blues
0952 | Harry Partch | Ulysses Departs From The Edge of The World
1340 | Bo Diddley | Bo Diddley
1695 | Chet Baker | Let's Get Lost
1977 | Clifford Brown and Max Roach | I Get a Kick Out of You
2065 | Frank Sinatra | In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning
2801 | Julie London | Cry Me a River
2864 | B.B. King | Every Day I Have the Blues
BUBB | Chet Baker | Grey December
BUBB | Elvis Presley | Mystery Train

0084 | Karlheinz Stockhausen | Gesang der Jünglinge
0383 | Duke Ellington | Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue
0439 | Ella Fitzgerald | Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye
0489 | Howlin' Wolf | Smokestack Lightnin'
0743 | Frank Sinatra | I've Got You Under My Skin
0811 | Little Richard | Long Tall Sally
1133 | Chuck Berry | Roll Over Beethoven
1234 | Ravi Shankar | Raga Jog
1641 | The Modern Jazz Quartet | Fontessa
1706 | Charles Mingus | Pithecanthropus Erectus
1777 | Sonny Rollins | St. Thomas
1780 | Ella Fitzgerald | Miss Otis Regrets
2140 | Johnny Cash | I Walk the Line
2467 | The Modern Jazz Quartet | Django
2731 | The Soul Stirrers | Touch the Hem of His Garment
2880 | Ray Charles | Halleuljah, I Love Her So
BUBB | Screamin' Jay Hawkins | I Put a Spell on You
BUBB | Muddy Waters | I Got My Mojo Workin'

0075 | Thelonious Monk | Brilliant Corners
0335 | Charles Mingus | Haitian Fight Song
0607 | Milton Babbitt | All Set
0993 | Ella Fitzgerald | Don't Get Around Much Anymore
1034 | Karlheinz Stockhausen | Gruppen
1250 | Thelonious Monk | Bemsha Swing
1523 | Buddy Holly | Everyday
1541 | Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong | Love Is Here To Stay
2136 | Leonard Bernstein | America
2211 | Fats Domino | I'm Walkin'
2413 | Nina Simone | Little Girl Blue
2453 | Billie Holiday | Fine and Mellow
2718 | Elvis Presley | Jailhouse Rock
BUBB | Lotte Lenya | September Song
BUBB | Ella Fitzgerald | Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me
BUBB | Buddy Holly | That'll Be the Day
BUBB | Jerry Lee Lewis | Great Balls of Fire

0407 | Blossom Dearie | Once Upon a Summertime
0625 | Esquivel | All of Me
0970 | Sonny Rollins | The Freedom Suite
1230 | Little Richard | Good Golly Miss Molly
1290 | John Coltrane | Blue Train
1653 | Huey "Piano" Smith and The Clowns | Don't You Just Know It
1701 | Ahmad Jamal | Poinciana
1832 | Frank Sinatra | One for My Baby (and One More for The Road)
2254 | Elizabeth Cotten | Freight Train
2311 | The Chantels | Maybe
2679 | Ella Fitzgerald | Blue Skies
2805 | João Gilberto | Chega de saudade
2868 | The Everly Brothers | All I Have To Do Is Dream
2927 | Link Wray | Rumble
BUBB | Bernard Herrmann | Prelude and Rooftop
BUBB | Peggy Lee | Fever
BUBB | Bill Evans | Peace Piece
BUBB | Per Nørgård | Constellations

0087 | Miles Davis | So What
0361 | Dave Brubeck Quartet | Blue Rondo a la Turk
0526 | Charles Mingus | Better Git It in Your Soul
0632 | Ornette Coleman | Lonely Woman
0783 | Dmitri Shostakovich | Cello Concerto No. 1, IV
0791 | Miles Davis | All Blues
0834 | John Coltrane | Giant Steps
0872 | John Cage | Indeterminacy (Part One)
0954 | Dave Brubeck Quartet | Take Five
1343 | Art Blakey | Moanin'
1406 | Ray Charles | What'd I Say
1434 | Ljubica Maric | Byzantine Concerto: I. Sound and Ringing
1439 | Édith Piaf | Non, je ne regrette rien
1857 | Ray Charles | Come Rain or Come Shine
2019 | Chuck Berry | Memphis, Tennessee
2055 | Babatunde Olatunji | Shango (Chant to the God of Thunder)
2101 | Charles Mingus | Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
2186 | Santo and Johnny | Sleep Walk
2556 | Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny Rollins, and Sonny Stitt | The Eternal Triangle
2621 | Elliott Carter | String Quartet No. 2: I. Allegro fantastico
2795 | Krzysztof Penderecki | Anaklasis
BUBB | Bobby Darin | Mack the Knife
BUBB | Fats Domino | I'm Gonna Be a Wheel Some Day
BUBB | György Ligeti | Apparitions
BUBB | Eddie Cochran | Somethin' Else
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Outstanding list, sonofsamiam (as always)! I've been skipping around, sampling recommendations from everyone, but I'm looking forward to listening to these in chronological order this weekend. (I'm a sucker for musical timelines, since I love hearing how styles/genres developed and changed over the years.)

While revisiting this thread, I also noticed how I "pledged" to listen to every recommendation posted. Well, I no longer know if that's realistic, but I'm still going to give it a shot. (For the next few months, I'll probably restrict most of my listening to recommendations for this poll and catching up with 2016 music, so I should make a lot of progress before the deadline.)
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Bump!
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Just a quick update on this:

1. I still plan on the deadline being October 31st. If anyone thinks they will need more time, please let me know...
2. Since I'm hoping for, but not expecting, a big turnout, I also still plan to include the previous lists from those who do not make new lists. (Example: Mindrocker who, sadly, hasn't participated in the forum in quite some time.)
3. My biggest hurdle at the moment is that I still haven't decided on the formulas to use for the 100 songs/50 albums. I hope to decide soon, but am open to suggestions.
4. As I said in the beginning, I will create/calculate the spreadsheets, but I'll definitely need a volunteer for the presentation. (This can be multiple volunteers, since these actually are 3 separate polls.)
5. Since the other thread with the rules, etc. has disappeared into oblivion, I will create a new thread for the list submissions tomorrow. (In reality, I'm just going to hunt down the other thread and combine the rules and everything else we decided upon in a single post for simplicity's sake.)

As always, I appreciate any input. This will be the first poll I've ever hosted, so I'm likely to need all the help I can get!
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

CLASSICAL MUSIC: 1900-1959

Below is a summary of developments in classical music during the first 60 years or so of the 1900s. I thought it might be useful for people who are not familiar with classical music of the 20th century. Such a brief summary is naturally an over-simplification, especially coming from a non-expert like me. Fortunately there are classical music experts who have written about that period, and my summary is based on some of those writings.

After the summary there is a chronological list of 110 recommended works/pieces (I couldn’t quite narrow it down to 100). There is a LOT of highly regarded and frequently performed classical music from the first half or so of the 20th century (I still need to listen to many of them myself), so a meagre 110 recommendations are inadequate, to put it mildly. Nevertheless, the list includes personal favourites as well as recommendations from the aforementioned experts, music publications, and my (more knowledgeable) partner. There is a significant overlap with sonofsamiam’s recommendations, and I also tried to include works that did well in our forum’s classical music poll.

It should be kept in mind that many of the composers mentioned under specific trends and movements may not identify exclusively as such and may be considered as being part of different movements. For example, at different times during his career, Igor Stravinsky may be considered a romantic, neoclassicist, and a serialist.

Late Romantic music

20th century classical music was extremely diverse. Perhaps the most common thread during this period of classical music was the wider use of dissonance in composing music – there were various trends that moved away from tonality in music. However, at the beginning of the 20th century many composers wrote music that was an extension of 19th century Romantic music. Harmony, though sometimes complex, was tonal, and traditional forms such as the symphony and concerto remained in use. Sergei Rachmaninoff, Richard Strauss, Gustav Mahler, Jean Sibelius and Edward Elgar all composed music in a late Romantic style.

Impressionist music

A deliberate departure from the Romantic style was the most evident in two cities: Paris and Vienna. The Parisian musical reaction to Romanticism was much more subtle and less dramatic than that of the Viennese (see “Atonality and Serialism” below), but arguably equally important in terms of the effect it had on classical music to come. Impressionism in music emphasised atmosphere, mood and subtle emotion; in contrast to the emotional exuberance and epic themes of Romanticism, Impressionism focused on sensuous experience rather than intellectualism. Its central figure was Claude Debussy, but Debussy’s younger contemporary Maurice Ravel was also hugely influential.

Atonality and Serialism

But the biggest revolution in 20th century classical music occurred in Vienna. Arnold Schoenberg developed atonality: music that obscured tonal structures or ignored conventional harmonies altogether. Schoenberg later developed the twelve-tone technique (a technique in which all 12 notes of the chromatic scale are sounded as often as one another in a piece of music while preventing the emphasis of any one note). His pupils Anton Webern and Alban Berg also developed and furthered the use of the twelve-tone system and were notable for their use of the technique in their own right. These three Viennese composers produced music with an angular mathematical approach, which was later termed serialism. Outside of Vienna, two American-based composers, Charles Ives and Edgard Varèse, were also notable for experimenting with dissonance in an innovative way. Years later, serialism was exploited and developed further by a whole new generation of composers, notably Pierre Boulez in France, Karlheinz Stockhausen in Germany, and Milton Babbitt in America.

Nationalism and folk-influenced classical composition

A number of composers wrote music that expressed national identity. In the early 20th century, this was particularly prevalent in Britain and America. In Britain, Ralph Vaughan Williams was at the forefront of this trend, while in America Aaron Copland led the way to America forming its own vernacular style of classical music in the 20th century. The main reason for expressing national identity in music was to preserve folk traditions. Composers from other countries also turned to indigenous folk music and incorporated it into their classical compositions, among others Béla Bartók in Hungary, Karol Szymanowski in Poland, George Enescu in Romania, Manuel de Falla and Isaac Albéniz in Spain, Heitor Villa-Lobos in Brazil, Carlos Chávez in Mexico, and Alberto Ginastera in Argentina.

Neoclassicism

After the First World War, many composers started returning to the past for inspiration and wrote works that drew elements (form, harmony, melody, structure) from it. This type of music became labelled neoclassicism. Composers sought to return to pre-Romantic aesthetics, namely order, balance, clarity, economy, and emotional restraint. However, these pre-Romantic aesthetics were melded with more modern harmonic effects, dissonance and pronounced rhythms. Igor Stravinsky was the major figure of neoclassicism. Other prominent figures were Sergei Prokofiev, Paul Hindemith, Francis Poulenc, and Arthur Honegger.

Futurism and microtonal music of the 1920s

The 1920s was a new age of machinery and technology, and there was an emergence of music fascinated with machinery and motoric rhythmic effects, which came to be known as futurist music. George Antheil and Alexander Mosolov were notable composers of this movement. In the same decade, there emerged an interest in microtones, which are divisions of the scale into intervals smaller than a semitone, usually quartertones. Harry Partch was a prominent composer of microtonal music.

Socialist realism

It wouldn’t be right to summarise 20th century classical music without mentioning Dmitri Shostakovich. Like a few other 20th century composers, his compositions don’t fit neatly into specific categories or movements – his music is characterised by ambivalent tonality and sharp contrasts, but he was also heavily influenced by neoclassicism and late Romantic music. Most of Shostakovich’s works were composed while the communist Soviet state controlled the output of music and other art forms. The communist creed was one of socialist realism, which inhibited experimentation in music and demanded that there be an emphasis on easily memorable tunes and patriotic and communist themes. Despite those constraints, Shostakovich managed to express, in a very powerful fashion, those very angers, tensions, frustrations, and despairs that the system engendered.

Jazz-influenced classical composition

A number of composers combined elements of the jazz idiom with classical compositional styles, including George Gershwin, Leonard Bernstein, and Darius Milhaud.

Musique concrète and electroacoustic music

As early as the 1940s, composers such as Olivier Messiaen incorporated electronic instruments into their music. The composer Pierre Schaeffer led a trend to explore the application of technology to music recording in a genre known as musique concrète, which incorporated synthesizers and other computer-based sounds into composition and recordings. Later, the term electroacoustic music was coined to include all forms of music involving magnetic tape, computers, synthesizers, multimedia, and other electronic devices and techniques.

Aleatoric music and the avant-garde

Avant-garde classical music arguably peaked in the 1960s and 1970s, but it originated earlier than that. John Cage was an eminent composer of the avant-garde movement following the Second World War in the 1940s. He was the leader of a number of composers who realized that they were not necessarily constrained by the accepted structures of music, but could draw on other, non-musical, structures and patterns for the basis of their music. One of the ways Cage radically departed from tradition was by introducing elements of chance into his music (for example, the fall of a pack of cards could determine the order of a composition). This “chance music” came to be known as aleatoric music.

Classical music from the East

The departure from tonality and the use of dissonance that occurred in many classical compositions of the 20th century was not something that everyone enjoyed listening to. Even today, many people feel that tonality is the natural order of music. But the concept of tonality as a natural order is a very Western view: other systems exist perfectly viably elsewhere, especially in Eastern music. An example of this is the classical rāgas of India, of which Ravi Shankar was a prolific composer.

Many other prominent composers from this period are not mentioned above, as you will notice in this chronological list of recommendations…

Jean Sibelius | Finlandia | 1900 | Finland
Edward Elgar | Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 in D major | 1901 | UK
Sergei Rachmaninoff | Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor: II. Adagio sostenuto | 1901 | Russia
Gustav Mahler | Symphony No. 4: IV. Sehr behaglich | 1901 | Austria
George Enescu | Romanian Rhapsody No.1 in A major | 1901 | Romania
Gustav Mahler | Symphony No. 5: IV. Adagietto | 1902 | Austria
Jean Sibelius | Symphony No. 2: IV. Finale | 1902 | Finland
Erik Satie | Je te veux | 1903 | France
Maurice Ravel | String Quartet in F major: II. Assez vif – très rythmé | 1904 | France
Giacomo Puccini | "Un bel dì vedremo" from Madama Butterfly | 1904 | Italy
Jean Sibelius | Valse triste | 1904 | Finland
Claude Debussy | Suite bergamasque: III. Clair de lune | 1905 | France
Claude Debussy | La mer: III. Dialogue du vent et de la mer | 1905 | France
Arnold Schoenberg | Chamber Symphony No. 1 | 1906 | Austria
Anton Webern | Passacaglia for Orchestra | 1908 | Austria
Alexander Scriabin | Le Poème de l'extase (The Poem of Ecstasy) | 1908 | Russia
Charles Ives | The Unanswered Question | 1908 | USA
Isaac Albéniz | Iberia, Book 1: III. Fête-dieu à Seville | 1909 | Spain
Claude Debussy | Préludes, Book 1: X. La cathédrale engloutie | 1910 | France
Igor Stravinsky | The Firebird: Finale | 1910 | Russia
Gustav Mahler | Symphony No. 9: III. Rondo-Burleske: Allegro assai. Sehr trotzig | 1910 | Austria
Richard Strauss | "Marie Theres'! Hab' mir's gelobt" from Der Rosenkavalier | 1910 | Germany
Ralph Vaughan Williams | Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis | 1910 | UK
Frank Bridge | The Sea: I. Seascape | 1911 | UK
Frederick Delius | On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring | 1912 | UK
Igor Stravinsky | The Rite of Spring: The Augurs of Spring | 1913 | Russia
Manuel de Falla | "Canción del fuego fatuo" from El amor brujo | 1915 | Spain
Gustav Holst | The Planets: IV. Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity | 1916 | UK
Carl Nielsen | Symphony No. 4: IV. Allegro | 1916 | Denmark
Giacomo Puccini | "O mio babbino caro" from Gianni Schicchi | 1918 | Italy
Edward Elgar | Cello Concerto in E minor: I. Adagio | 1919 | UK
Jean Sibelius | Symphony No. 5: III. Allegro molto | 1919 | Finland
Leo Ornstein | Suicide in an Airplane | 1919 | Russia/USA
Darius Milhaud | Le Bœuf sur le toit | 1919 | France
Maurice Ravel | La valse | 1920 | France
Gabriel Fauré | Piano Quintet No. 2: II. Allegro vivo | 1921 | France
Darius Milhaud | La Création du monde | 1923 | France
Arthur Honegger | Pacific 231 | 1923 | Switzerland/France
George Antheil | Ballet Mécanique | 1924 | USA
Ottorino Respighi | Pini di Roma (Pines of Rome): IV. I pini della Via Appia | 1924 | Italy
George Gershwin | Rhapsody in Blue | 1924 | USA
Henry Cowell | The Banshee | 1925 | USA
Heitor Villa-Lobos | Chôros No. 10 | 1926 | Brazil
Giacomo Puccini | "Nessun dorma" from Turandot | 1926 | Italy
Leoš Janáček | Sinfonietta: I. Allegretto - Allegro maestoso (Fanfare) | 1926 | Czech Republic
Alexander Mosolov | The Iron Foundry | 1927 | Russia
Edgard Varèse | Amériques | 1927 | France/USA
Dmitri Shostakovich | Tahiti Trot (Tea for Two) | 1927 | Russia
Maurice Ravel | Boléro | 1928 | France
Arnold Schoenberg | Variations for Orchestra: Variation V. Bewegt | 1928 | Austria
Francis Poulenc | Concert champêtre: III. Finale | 1928 | France
Béla Bartók | String Quartet No. 4: I. Allegro | 1928 | Hungary
William Walton | Viola Concerto: II. Vivo, con moto preciso | 1929 | UK
Franz Lehár | "Dein ist mein ganzes Herz" from The Land of Smiles | 1929 | Slovakia/Austria
Igor Stravinsky | Symphony of Psalms: Expectans expectavi Dominum | 1930 | Russia
Albert Roussel | Symphony No. 3: I. Allegro vivo | 1930 | France
Edgard Varèse | Ionisation | 1931 | France/USA
Maurice Ravel | Piano Concerto in G major: II. Adagio assai | 1931 | France
Karol Szymanowski | Symphony No. 4: I. Moderato, tempo comodo | 1932 | Poland
Zoltán Kodály | Galántai táncok (Dances of Galánta) | 1933 | Hungary
Sergei Rachmaninoff | Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini: Variation 18. Andante cantabile | 1934 | Russia
Alexander Glazunov | Saxophone Concerto | 1934 | Russia
Alban Berg | Violin Concerto: I. Andante - Allegretto | 1935 | Austria
Sergei Prokofiev | Violin Concerto No. 2 in G minor: II. Andante assai | 1935 | Russia
Carl Orff | "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana | 1936 | Germany
Sergei Prokofiev | Romeo and Juliet: Dance of the Knights (Montagues and Capulets) | 1936 | Russia
Samuel Barber | Adagio for Strings | 1936 | USA
Béla Bartók | Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta: III. Adagio | 1936 | Hungary
Carlos Chávez | Sinfonía india | 1936 | Mexico
Sergei Rachmaninoff | Piano Concerto No. 3 in D minor: III. Finale - Alla breve | 1936 | Russia
Darius Milhaud | Scaramouche, suite for two pianos: III. Brazileira | 1937 | France
Alberto Ginastera | Danzas Argentinas: II. Danza de la moza donosa | 1937 | Argentina
Dmitri Shostakovich | Symphony No. 5 in D minor: IV. Allegro non troppo | 1937 | Russia
Bohuslav Martinů | Double Concerto for Two String Orchestras, Piano and Timpani: II. Largo | 1938 | Czech Republic
Ralph Vaughan Williams | Serenade to Music | 1938 | UK
Reinhold Glière | Harp Concerto in E flat major | 1938 | Russia
William Walton | Façade, Suite No. 2: V. Popular Song | 1938 | UK
Joaquín Rodrigo | Concierto de Aranjuez: II. Adagio | 1939 | Spain
Samuel Barber | Violin Concerto: III. Presto in moto perpetuo | 1939 | USA
John Cage | Imaginary Landscape No. 1 | 1939 | USA
Heitor Villa-Lobos | Prelude No. 1 in E minor | 1940 | Brazil
Michael Tippett | "Steal Away" from A Child of Our Time | 1941 | UK
Olivier Messiaen | Quatuor pour la fin du temps: V. Louange à l'Éternité de Jésus | 1941 | France
Aaron Copland | Fanfare for the Common Man | 1942 | USA
Aaron Copland | Rodeo: IV. Hoe-down | 1942 | USA
Aram Khachaturian | "Sabre Dance" from Gayane | 1942 | Georgia/Russia
Béla Bartók | Concerto for Orchestra: V. Finale | 1943 | Hungary
Paul Hindemith | Symphonic Metamorphosis on Themes of Carl Maria von Weber: I. Allegro | 1943 | Germany
Sergei Prokofiev | Symphony No. 5 in B flat major: II. Allegro marcato | 1944 | Russia
Richard Strauss | Oboe Concerto in D major: I. Allegro moderato | 1945 | Germany
Allan Pettersson | 24 barfotasånger (24 Barefoot Songs): VII. Blomma säj | 1945 | Sweden
Heitor Villa-Lobos | Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5: Aria - Cantilena | 1945 | Brazil
Benjamin Britten | The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra: Fugue - Allegro molto | 1945 | UK
Benjamin Britten | Peter Grimes: Interlude II. The Storm | 1945 | UK
Francis Poulenc | L'Invitation au château: Tango | 1947 | France
Richard Strauss | Four Last Songs: III. Beim Schlafengehen | 1948 | Germany
Olivier Messiaen | Turangalîla-Symphonie: I. Introduction | 1948 | France
Pierre Schaeffer | Cinq études de bruits: I. Étude aux chemins de fer | 1948 | France
Pierre Boulez | Piano Sonata No. 2: II. Lent | 1948 | France
Henri Dutilleux | Piano Sonata: III. Choral et variations | 1948 | France
Leonard Bernstein | Prelude, Fugue and Riffs | 1949 | USA
Francis Poulenc | Stabat mater: I. Stabat mater dolorosa | 1950 | France
Leroy Anderson | The Typewriter | 1950 | USA
Dmitri Shostakovich | Symphony No. 10 in E minor: III. Allegretto | 1953 | Russia
Iannis Xenakis | Metastaseis | 1954 | Romania/Greece/France
Harry Partch | Ulysses at the Edge | 1955 | USA
Karlheinz Stockhausen | Gesang der Jünglinge | 1956 | Germany
Leonard Bernstein | "Glitter and Be Gay" from Candide | 1956 | USA
Ravi Shankar | Raga Jog | 1956 | India
Milton Babbitt | All Set | 1957 | USA

And here they are sorted alphabetically by first name…

Aaron Copland | Fanfare for the Common Man | 1942 | USA
Aaron Copland | Rodeo: IV. Hoe-down | 1942 | USA
Alban Berg | Violin Concerto: I. Andante - Allegretto | 1935 | Austria
Albert Roussel | Symphony No. 3: I. Allegro vivo | 1930 | France
Alberto Ginastera | Danzas Argentinas: II. Danza de la moza donosa | 1937 | Argentina
Alexander Glazunov | Saxophone Concerto | 1934 | Russia
Alexander Mosolov | The Iron Foundry | 1927 | Russia
Alexander Scriabin | Le Poème de l'extase (The Poem of Ecstasy) | 1908 | Russia
Allan Pettersson | 24 barfotasånger (24 Barefoot Songs): VII. Blomma säj | 1945 | Sweden
Anton Webern | Passacaglia for Orchestra | 1908 | Austria
Aram Khachaturian | "Sabre Dance" from Gayane | 1942 | Georgia/Russia
Arnold Schoenberg | Chamber Symphony No. 1 | 1906 | Austria
Arnold Schoenberg | Variations for Orchestra: Variation V. Bewegt | 1928 | Austria
Arthur Honegger | Pacific 231 | 1923 | Switzerland/France
Béla Bartók | String Quartet No. 4: I. Allegro | 1928 | Hungary
Béla Bartók | Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta: III. Adagio | 1936 | Hungary
Béla Bartók | Concerto for Orchestra: V. Finale | 1943 | Hungary
Benjamin Britten | The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra: Fugue - Allegro molto | 1945 | UK
Benjamin Britten | Peter Grimes: Interlude II. The Storm | 1945 | UK
Bohuslav Martinů | Double Concerto for Two String Orchestras, Piano and Timpani: II. Largo | 1938 | Czech Republic
Carl Nielsen | Symphony No. 4: IV. Allegro | 1916 | Denmark
Carl Orff | "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana | 1936 | Germany
Carlos Chávez | Sinfonía india | 1936 | Mexico
Charles Ives | The Unanswered Question | 1908 | USA
Claude Debussy | Suite bergamasque: III. Clair de lune | 1905 | France
Claude Debussy | La mer: III. Dialogue du vent et de la mer | 1905 | France
Claude Debussy | Préludes, Book 1: X. La cathédrale engloutie | 1910 | France
Darius Milhaud | Le Bœuf sur le toit | 1919 | France
Darius Milhaud | La Création du monde | 1923 | France
Darius Milhaud | Scaramouche, suite for two pianos: III. Brazileira | 1937 | France
Dmitri Shostakovich | Tahiti Trot (Tea for Two) | 1927 | Russia
Dmitri Shostakovich | Symphony No. 5 in D minor: IV. Allegro non troppo | 1937 | Russia
Dmitri Shostakovich | Symphony No. 10 in E minor: III. Allegretto | 1953 | Russia
Edgard Varèse | Amériques | 1927 | France/USA
Edgard Varèse | Ionisation | 1931 | France/USA
Edward Elgar | Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 in D major | 1901 | UK
Edward Elgar | Cello Concerto in E minor: I. Adagio | 1919 | UK
Erik Satie | Je te veux | 1903 | France
Francis Poulenc | Concert champêtre: III. Finale | 1928 | France
Francis Poulenc | L'Invitation au château: Tango | 1947 | France
Francis Poulenc | Stabat mater: I. Stabat mater dolorosa | 1950 | France
Frank Bridge | The Sea: I. Seascape | 1911 | UK
Franz Lehár | "Dein ist mein ganzes Herz" from The Land of Smiles | 1929 | Slovakia/Austria
Frederick Delius | On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring | 1912 | UK
Gabriel Fauré | Piano Quintet No. 2: II. Allegro vivo | 1921 | France
George Antheil | Ballet Mécanique | 1924 | USA
George Enescu | Romanian Rhapsody No.1 in A major | 1901 | Romania
George Gershwin | Rhapsody in Blue | 1924 | USA
Giacomo Puccini | "Un bel dì vedremo" from Madama Butterfly | 1904 | Italy
Giacomo Puccini | "O mio babbino caro" from Gianni Schicchi | 1918 | Italy
Giacomo Puccini | "Nessun dorma" from Turandot | 1926 | Italy
Gustav Holst | The Planets: IV. Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity | 1916 | UK
Gustav Mahler | Symphony No. 4: IV. Sehr behaglich | 1901 | Austria
Gustav Mahler | Symphony No. 5: IV. Adagietto | 1902 | Austria
Gustav Mahler | Symphony No. 9: III. Rondo-Burleske: Allegro assai. Sehr trotzig | 1910 | Austria
Harry Partch | Ulysses at the Edge | 1955 | USA
Heitor Villa-Lobos | Chôros No. 10 | 1926 | Brazil
Heitor Villa-Lobos | Prelude No. 1 in E minor | 1940 | Brazil
Heitor Villa-Lobos | Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5: Aria - Cantilena | 1945 | Brazil
Henri Dutilleux | Piano Sonata: III. Choral et variations | 1948 | France
Henry Cowell | The Banshee | 1925 | USA
Iannis Xenakis | Metastaseis | 1954 | Romania/Greece/France
Igor Stravinsky | The Firebird: Finale | 1910 | Russia
Igor Stravinsky | The Rite of Spring: The Augurs of Spring | 1913 | Russia
Igor Stravinsky | Symphony of Psalms: Expectans expectavi Dominum | 1930 | Russia
Isaac Albéniz | Iberia, Book 1: III. Fête-dieu à Seville | 1909 | Spain
Jean Sibelius | Finlandia | 1900 | Finland
Jean Sibelius | Symphony No. 2: IV. Finale | 1902 | Finland
Jean Sibelius | Valse triste | 1904 | Finland
Jean Sibelius | Symphony No. 5: III. Allegro molto | 1919 | Finland
Joaquín Rodrigo | Concierto de Aranjuez: II. Adagio | 1939 | Spain
John Cage | Imaginary Landscape No. 1 | 1939 | USA
Karlheinz Stockhausen | Gesang der Jünglinge | 1956 | Germany
Karol Szymanowski | Symphony No. 4: I. Moderato, tempo comodo | 1932 | Poland
Leo Ornstein | Suicide in an Airplane | 1919 | Russia/USA
Leonard Bernstein | Prelude, Fugue and Riffs | 1949 | USA
Leonard Bernstein | "Glitter and Be Gay" from Candide | 1956 | USA
Leoš Janáček | Sinfonietta: I. Allegretto - Allegro maestoso (Fanfare) | 1926 | Czech Republic
Leroy Anderson | The Typewriter | 1950 | USA
Manuel de Falla | "Canción del fuego fatuo" from El amor brujo | 1915 | Spain
Maurice Ravel | String Quartet in F major: II. Assez vif – très rythmé | 1904 | France
Maurice Ravel | La valse | 1920 | France
Maurice Ravel | Boléro | 1928 | France
Maurice Ravel | Piano Concerto in G major: II. Adagio assai | 1931 | France
Michael Tippett | "Steal Away" from A Child of Our Time | 1941 | UK
Milton Babbitt | All Set | 1957 | USA
Olivier Messiaen | Quatuor pour la fin du temps: V. Louange à l'Éternité de Jésus | 1941 | France
Olivier Messiaen | Turangalîla-Symphonie: I. Introduction | 1948 | France
Ottorino Respighi | Pini di Roma (Pines of Rome): IV. I pini della Via Appia | 1924 | Italy
Paul Hindemith | Symphonic Metamorphosis on Themes of Carl Maria von Weber: I. Allegro | 1943 | Germany
Pierre Boulez | Piano Sonata No. 2: II. Lent | 1948 | France
Pierre Schaeffer | Cinq études de bruits: I. Étude aux chemins de fer | 1948 | France
Ralph Vaughan Williams | Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis | 1910 | UK
Ralph Vaughan Williams | Serenade to Music | 1938 | UK
Ravi Shankar | Raga Jog | 1956 | India
Reinhold Glière | Harp Concerto in E flat major | 1938 | Russia
Richard Strauss | "Marie Theres'! Hab' mir's gelobt" from Der Rosenkavalier | 1910 | Germany
Richard Strauss | Oboe Concerto in D major: I. Allegro moderato | 1945 | Germany
Richard Strauss | Four Last Songs: III. Beim Schlafengehen | 1948 | Germany
Samuel Barber | Adagio for Strings | 1936 | USA
Samuel Barber | Violin Concerto: III. Presto in moto perpetuo | 1939 | USA
Sergei Prokofiev | Violin Concerto No. 2 in G minor: II. Andante assai | 1935 | Russia
Sergei Prokofiev | Romeo and Juliet: Dance of the Knights (Montagues and Capulets) | 1936 | Russia
Sergei Prokofiev | Symphony No. 5 in B flat major: II. Allegro marcato | 1944 | Russia
Sergei Rachmaninoff | Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor: II. Adagio sostenuto | 1901 | Russia
Sergei Rachmaninoff | Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini: Variation 18. Andante cantabile | 1934 | Russia
Sergei Rachmaninoff | Piano Concerto No. 3 in D minor: III. Finale - Alla breve | 1936 | Russia
William Walton | Viola Concerto: II. Vivo, con moto preciso | 1929 | UK
William Walton | Façade, Suite No. 2: V. Popular Song | 1938 | UK
Zoltán Kodály | Galántai táncok (Dances of Galánta) | 1933 | Hungary
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

This is awesome, Dan - thanks for sharing! Being somewhat a novice to the history of Classical music, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the summaries of the different movements you provided. (It will also help with recommendations, since it was easy to see which categories my personal favorites generally fall into.)

You also highlighted the main reason my dad (a huge lover of Classical music) doesn't enjoy 20th century Classical nearly as much. (Something we were discussing yesterday.) He loves musical tonality and structure, and the movement toward atonality and dissonance definitely doesn't appeal to him. Since I prefer music that is unpredictable and makes me feel a little uneasy, it's my favorite century for Classical music. I know it's been controversial, and I try to be as objective as possible, but I think my subjective love for this era is likely what made me push for Classical's inclusion in our poll.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

I’m glad you liked my post, jamieW. I really enjoyed putting together that Spotify playlist, even though it made me realize again how difficult it is to compare most classical works with popular music. Thanks for explaining that you pushed to include classical music in our poll because you prefer the unpredictable, more dissonant nature of a lot of 20th century classical music compared to earlier periods of classical music. It makes total sense to me, even though I’m more likely to enjoy listening to tonal music than atonal music. I appreciate dissonance and atonality in classical music more than I do in popular music, yet I can’t help but prefer those Romantic works from the early 20th century. To me, there’s nothing like the big, broad orchestral sound of symphonies and concertos from the Romantic (and pre-Romantic) period. But it’s too hard for me to compare them with more simple (yet no less beautiful) popular genres from the first half of the 20th century, like blues or country. So I’ve decided that in my final songs lists I will only include shorter classical pieces that are not too difficult for me to compare with popular music (which means that movements/pieces that are part of symphonies, concertos and other sizable works will mostly be excluded - however, I have no problem including opera arias, probably because there’s singing involved). What I choose to include and exclude makes sense to me but might not make sense to anyone else. It kind of breaks my heart to have to leave out some of my favourites like Jean Seibelius’s “Finlandia”, Sergei Rachmaninoff’s “Piano Concerto No. 2”, Gustav Mahler’s “Symphony No. 5”, and such in-your-face powerhouses as Gustav Holst’s “The Planets” and Carl Orff’s "O Forutuna”. But I can’t compare apples with anvils. And because of their length, I also won’t include famous pieces like Maurice Ravel’s “Boléro” and George Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue” (although to be honest, I have mixed feelings about both of those pieces – sometimes I think they’re superb, other times I think they’re overrated).

What I will include, though, is Claude Debussy’s beautiful, melodic (and Impressionist) “Clair de lune”, Sergei Rachmaninoff’s equally beautiful, Romantic-heavy “Variation 18 from Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini”, Giacomo Puccini’s wonderful opera arias “Nessun dorma” and “O mio babbino caro”, Leroy Anderson’s fun, light orchestral piece “The Typewriter”, Erik Satie’s evocative, sentimental waltz "Je te veux”, and Samuel Barber’s epic “Adagio for Strings”. Speaking of adagios, there are many adagio movements in symphonies and concertos that I like. I know I said that I’m going to exclude movements from symphonies and concertos, but an exception to the rule I want to make is Joaquín Rodrigo’s “Adagio from Concierto de Aranjuez, partly because it has a guitar in it, like a lot of popular music, but mostly because it doesn’t feel out of place among my other world music choices for this poll, despite being more sophisticated. Another guitar piece with more than just a little world music flavour that will likely make my list is Heitor Villa-Lobos’s “Prelude No. 1”. And while we’re in South America with Brazilian Villa-Lobos, I should say that Argentine composer Alberto Ginastera’s “Danza de la moza donosa” will also be on my list. Tango is the most famous style of music to come from Argentina, but my favourite tango piece that qualifies as classical music from this period is French composer Francis Poulenc’s “Tango from L'Invitation au château. Finally, a (short) dissonant piece that will definitely make my list is Alexander Mosolov’s exciting futurist machine music “The Iron Foundry”.
Last edited by Dan on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

You've hit upon another reason I wanted to include Classical, Dan - that I wanted participants in the poll to be able to vote any way they liked. The way you've chosen to include certain pieces makes perfect sense to me, especially since it is extremely difficult to compare more extensive Classical works to other genres. (I'm still in the listening stage, so I haven't needed to face that challenge yet.) Thanks for all the recommendations and I'm looking forward to your list!
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Really appreciate the listening recommendations and summary of developments Dan. These recommendations and lists from yourself and sonofsamiam are most helpful.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Dan, it's a "sans fautes" for your recommandations. Good job and thanks.

My wife and I fall in love this year of a incredible and marvelous piece of classical music by Lili Boulanger - Vieille prière bouddhique (1917), a "coup de coeur" like we have once every ten years. Lili Boulanger is the sister of the famous Nadia Boulanger and have a incredible and terrible life, she died in 25 and have composed some incredible and unique pieces for this periode.

I think I know a little your "sensibilité" and I'm sure this piece can "pleased" you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF9SltYJAT8
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Romain wrote:My wife and I fall in love this year of a incredible and marvelous piece of classical music by Lili Boulanger - Vieille prière bouddhique (1917), a "coup de coeur" like we have once every ten years. Lili Boulanger is the sister of the famous Nadia Boulanger and have a incredible and terrible life, she died in 25 and have composed some incredible and unique pieces for this periode.

I think I know a little your "sensibilité" and I'm sure this piece can "pleased" you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF9SltYJAT8
You know my "sensibilité" well. It's a lovely piece of music.

Some of the works on my list of recommendations are works that I discovered through your wonderful French music thread and your participation in the classical polls, among others Ravel's "Piano Concerto", Poulenc's "Stabat Mater" and Sibelius's "Valse triste". So thanks!

And thanks for your comment, DaveC. I've listened to the songs I didn't know in the Spotify playlist you posted in the voting thread. Good stuff. My favourite new discoveries were Washington Phillips's "Denomination Blues" and Wendo Kolosoy's "Marie-Louise".

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”