Radiohead's "A Moon Shaped Pool"

Setherex
Movin' On Up

Radiohead's "A Moon Shaped Pool"

Post by Setherex »

[imgsize 500x500]http://static.stereogum.com/uploads/201 ... 40x640.jpg[/imgsize]

"A Moon Shaped Pool"
Radiohead
May 8, 2016

01. "Burn the Witch"
02. "Daydreaming"
03. "Decks Dark"
04. "Desert Island Disk"
05. "Ful Stop"
06. "Glass Eyes
07. "Identikit"
08. "The Numbers"
09. "Present Tense"
10. "Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief"
11. "True Love Waits"

Album streaming on Apple Music
Last edited by Setherex on Sun May 08, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Re: Radiohead's "A Moon Shaped Pool"

Post by Setherex »

Album removed from Google Play, perhaps because the track list was uploaded alphabetically. The official release might be at the top of the hour, according to what Yorke said a few days ago.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Oh!!! Studio version of True Love Waits!!! I never thought this would happen. Very excited to listen in 39 minutes...
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Album up on Apple Music.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Is anyone else listening to the BBC stream? http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e94gwh/live/cbrbj5

A nice end to an awful day at work.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Also available already on Amazon, which is where I purchased it (along with the James Blake album, so my question from the Blake thread has been answered). What a weekend!

Come on, Frank Ocean! What the hell's taking so long?
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

This album is the "In Rainbows" of the 2010s decade.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Okay, can someone explain to me why Daydreaming is a good song? I do not like that song. It's just a reminder of my biggest issue with Radiohead: that they have a great song than a bomber the next.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I've listened to the album 1.5 times now. I like it a good amount, by anyone else it'd be a super strong effort, but this is Radiohead. The band that gave us The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A, and In Rainbows. Compared to those albums, this is a bit of a weaker effort. Which is a shame to say because Radiohead are my second favorite band. It's a lot better than Pablo Honey, but I'd say that this album might be their weakest besides that one.

I'll have to give it another listen or two though before I fully make up my mind. But that's where I stand right now.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Side note: if you had told me back in 2007 that I would like the new Beyoncé album more than the new Radiohead album, I would've died laughing.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Nick wrote:Side note: if you had told me back in 2007 that I would like the new Beyoncé album more than the new Radiohead album, I would've died laughing.
You told me in May of 2016, and I still found it hilarious.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

My production teacher told me that the mix on this album is drawn such that it sounds good mostly only when heard on large speakers, and apparently it was controversial for that reason.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
amnt1882
Are You Experienced?

Post by amnt1882 »

I like it very much...Battling out with Blackstar in my head and I think it's winning
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Still digesting the album and evaluating where it stands in my all-time and 2016 lists, but I can say with certainty that this is one of my favorite Radiohead albums production-wise. They've expanded on the psych-folk tinges on the criminally underrated The King of Limbs, while keeping in mind the compositional attitudes in minimalism from Satie and Debussy. In many ways, this is the corresponding "cold, clear night" to the "sunny day" of one of my favorite albums, Grizzly Bear's (the american apprentices of Radiohead) Yellow House. Having this along with James Blake's The Colour in Anything release in the same weekend on my vacation has been a surreal treat.
Quirk Out Lee
Are You Experienced?

Post by Quirk Out Lee »

It's my second AOTY behind Blackstar thus far (and likely altogether).
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I like this okay, but not a masterpiece in my opinion.
I feel like that
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

Listened to it for the first time now, and it's apparently a great album. In some aspects, it's very similar to In Rainbows, which is my favorite from the band and one of my all time faves.
For today, the first two tracks and "The Numbers" were the most impressive ones. Let's see how the album looks after multiple listens.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

This is up there.

It's a solid album with everything Radiohead is known for. I can't even compare it to any of their other

Of course the two singles and "Ful Stop" are the best. As well as "True Love Waits", which many die-hards heard already.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Best Radiohead album of the decade so far.

(PS I'm not a King of Limbs hater)
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

I'm one of those silly weirdos who still hope Radiohead will wake up someday and be like shyte man we haven't been doing something like Ok Computer or The Bends in a while now how bout we get down to it and then go someplace quiet for a year and record it.

But ... it ain't happening now so ... sigh sigh

Anyway AMSP is a good / solid album (I can imagine it works better if u had a glass of wine, i'll try that). It beats everything I heard this year. There's not a single bad or mediocre track on it. But there isn't a really great one either. It gives me the impression that Radiohead have reached a nice cosy place and forgot about the blizzard outside, blizzard they once affronted bravely thus winning the status that makes an event out of everything they do.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Chambord wrote:Radiohead have reached a nice cosy place and forgot about the blizzard outside, blizzard they once affronted bravely thus winning the status that makes an event out of everything they do.
Very nicely put. I haven't listened to the album yet but I fear that I will be underwhelmed. "Daydreaming" IS underwhelming. I always hope, album after album, that Radiohead will come up with another Bends/OK Computer/Kid A, but it doesn't seem to be in them anymore.
Has "Burn the Witch" given me false hopes ? Because it is one hell of a song.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

So with all the acclaim that "A Moon Shaped Pool" is getting, it's safe to say that some of its songs are going to place on AM come the update after next. Which raises the question- how to deal with "True Love Waits"?

"True Love Waits" is the final song on the new Radiohead album, and (as many hardcore Radiohead fans know) while the song has been performed live before in the past, this is the first studio recording to ever be released. However, back in 2001, a live version of the song (done in a rather different arrangement from the new studio version) was released on the band's live album "I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings".

So this raises the question. If "True Love Waits" garners enough acclaim on the 2016 EOY lists (which, seeing as it's a standout track on a highly acclaimed Radiohead album, makes this incredibly likely) are we going to count it as a 2016 song or a 2001 song?

If "True Love Waits" kills it on the EOY lists and is counted as a 2001 song, could this result in the largest amount of acclaim given to a song over ten years after its initial release? Maybe. I'll defer to the experts on that one.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Nick wrote:"True Love Waits" is the final song on the new Radiohead album, and (as many hardcore Radiohead fans know) while the song has been performed live before in the past, this is the first studio recording to ever be released. However, back in 2001, a live version of the song (done in a rather different arrangement from the new studio version) was released on the band's live album "I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings".

So this raises the question. If "True Love Waits" garners enough acclaim on the 2016 EOY lists (which, seeing as it's a standout track on a highly acclaimed Radiohead album, makes this incredibly likely) are we going to count it as a 2016 song or a 2001 song?

If "True Love Waits" kills it on the EOY lists and is counted as a 2001 song, could this result in the largest amount of acclaim given to a song over ten years after its initial release? Maybe. I'll defer to the experts on that one.
I don't understand the argument for listing it as a 2001 recording. Isn't this how it's always been done? Take the release year of the recorded version that garnered the most acclaim, which was obviously the 2016 version.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Laziest track listing ever.

I have had a couple of listens, nothing has stood out in particular, but that's how it goes with Radiohead albums for me.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Setherex wrote:
Nick wrote:"True Love Waits" is the final song on the new Radiohead album, and (as many hardcore Radiohead fans know) while the song has been performed live before in the past, this is the first studio recording to ever be released. However, back in 2001, a live version of the song (done in a rather different arrangement from the new studio version) was released on the band's live album "I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings".

I don't understand the argument for listing it as a 2001 recording. Isn't this how it's always been done? Take the release year of the recorded version that garnered the most acclaim, which was obviously the 2016 version.
I think it's a bit more complicated than that. The La's "There She Goes" was originally released in 1988, but it's the slightly different 1990 version that everyone knows. Nevertheless, "There She Goes" is marked as a 1988 song on AM.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Nick wrote:
Setherex wrote:

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. The La's "There She Goes" was originally released in 1988, but it's the slightly different 1990 version that everyone knows. Nevertheless, "There She Goes" is marked as a 1988 song on AM.
Well that just sounds like an error to me. Henrik's decision inevitably, but to keep consistency, I would argue to change the site's listing for that song to 1990.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Setherex wrote: Well that just sounds like an error to me. Henrik's decision inevitably, but to keep consistency, I would argue to change the site's listing for that song to 1990.
I think it makes sense the way it is. As far as I'm concerned, the listing on AM is determined by the year of the first released studio version of a song. By that definition 1988 for There She Goes and 2016 for True Love Waits would be correct.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Krurze wrote:
Setherex wrote: Well that just sounds like an error to me. Henrik's decision inevitably, but to keep consistency, I would argue to change the site's listing for that song to 1990.
I think it makes sense the way it is. As far as I'm concerned, the listing on AM is determined by the year of the first released studio version of a song. By that definition 1988 for There She Goes and 2016 for True Love Waits would be correct.
This is definitely not how year listings have been treated on AM in the past. The obvious example, Peter Frampton's "Do You Feel Like We Do:" originally released in 1973, famous live version released in 1976, listed on AM as 1976.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

http://focus.knack.be/entertainment/muz ... 01673.html

Not only "True Love Waits", but four of the eleven songs have been performed live for years.
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

I'm loving this album, even if I agree that it falls slightly short of "Best of the decade masterpiece." Admittedly it favors production and instrumentation over melody and hooks (with the exception of "Burn the Witch," easily the best song here and the least like the rest). But I'm a fan of intricately-produced soundscapes, so I'm okay with it.

I do wish there was a "Bodysnatchers" or something similar to shake things up slightly - that shift from "Bodysnatchers" to "Nude," for example, is why I love In Rainbows so much. But that's a small complaint. The band doubled down on their sound from "Nude," and I'm completely fine with it. Thom Yorke's vocals have never sounded better, either.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Setherex wrote:Peter Frampton's "Do You Feel Like We Do:" originally released in 1973
I was not aware of this.

The choice of year for AM is often based on versions mentioned in critics' list. "There She Goes" has been listed as both one of the best songs of the 80s and one of the best songs of the 90s. In situations like that I usually use the year of the first acclaimed release. However, I don't think "True Love Waits" has been mentioned in any critics' lists yet, so if it appears in eoy lists I think it would make sense to list it as a 2016 song on AM. Maybe it's also ok to keep the Frampton song in 1976.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Henrik wrote:
Setherex wrote:Peter Frampton's "Do You Feel Like We Do:" originally released in 1973
I was not aware of this.

The choice of year for AM is often based on versions mentioned in critics' list. "There She Goes" has been listed as both one of the best songs of the 80s and one of the best songs of the 90s. In situations like that I usually use the year of the first acclaimed release. However, I don't think "True Love Waits" has been mentioned in any critics' lists yet, so if it appears in eoy lists I think it would make sense to list it as a 2016 song on AM. Maybe it's also ok to keep the Frampton song in 1976.
Haha, you make me smile Henrik. Alrighty then - as long as you yourself have some form of consistency, who can complain? :D
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Any Daydreaming fans here? If so, can you tell me why you like that track so much? I keep listening to it, but it elicits no emotions from me whatsoever.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

babydoll wrote:Any Daydreaming fans here? If so, can you tell me why you like that track so much? I keep listening to it, but it elicits no emotions from me whatsoever.
Honestly one of my favorite Radiohead songs: the way it seemingly flows into existence without regard to conventional verse-chorus structure, the ambient undertones, the layered piano and electronic effects, Thom's vocals, all perfect. The way the crystalline strings tremble and bloom into ecstasy, reminiscent of the build in Brian Eno's "The Big Ship". Just magnificent.

I was recently thinking how my all time favorite albums and songs often seem like they touch upon something almost otherworldly. Rather than feeling like the product of a human artist, they seemingly exist for their own sake, as if they formed into existence at the same time as the magma cooled and water vapor condensed on an early earth. Albums like Ys, A Love Supreme, Astral Weeks, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and Loveless all seem to exhibit this timeless transcendence for me: unquantifiable but unquestionably powerful. "Daydreaming" and A Moon Shaped Pool is the first album since To Pimp a Butterfly to possess this trait.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

notbrianeno wrote:"Daydreaming" and A Moon Shaped Pool is the first album since To Pimp a Butterfly to possess this trait.
Wow. That's exactly how I feel about Anderson .Paak's song The Seasons | Carry Me and his album Malibu! Maybe Daydreaming just requires multiple listens for me. I'll play it back-to-back with Brian Eno's The Big Ship, a song which I love.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

babydoll wrote:
notbrianeno wrote:"Daydreaming" and A Moon Shaped Pool is the first album since To Pimp a Butterfly to possess this trait.
Wow. That's exactly how I feel about Anderson .Paak's song The Seasons | Carry Me and his album Malibu! Maybe Daydreaming just requires multiple listens for me. I'll play it back-to-back with Brian Eno's The Big Ship, a song which I love.
Wouldn't be a bad idea! I also really enjoyed Malibu :music-listening:
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

notbrianeno wrote:
babydoll wrote:Any Daydreaming fans here? If so, can you tell me why you like that track so much? I keep listening to it, but it elicits no emotions from me whatsoever.
Honestly one of my favorite Radiohead songs: the way it seemingly flows into existence without regard to conventional verse-chorus structure, the ambient undertones, the layered piano and electronic effects, Thom's vocals, all perfect. The way the crystalline strings tremble and bloom into ecstasy, reminiscent of the build in Brian Eno's "The Big Ship". Just magnificent.
Wow, nice catch on its similarities to The Big Ship! My opinions still haven't changed, but now it's not hopeless.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I didn't focus on the first listen and I liked this just okay. On the second listen I focused more and I'm really liking this. Along with the two singles, my fav is Present Tense.
I feel like that
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Having only listened to it twice, one thing I can say is that a few of the songs heavily remind me directly of "Go to Sleep" from Hail to the Thief.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I probably won't hear this until the physical release. Radiohead has some weird problem with Spotify and I still prefer a physical CD so I have the choice of waiting, paying for a separate streaming service or buying it twice.
mowino
Let's Get It On

Post by mowino »

4 words, ALBUM OF THE YEAR.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”