R.I.P. Guy Clark (1941-2016)

Setherex
Movin' On Up

R.I.P. Guy Clark (1941-2016)

Post by Setherex »

Guy Charles Clark, the gravel-voiced troubadour who crafted a vast catalog of emotionally charged, intricately detailed works that illuminated and expanded the literary possibilities of popular song, died in Nashville Tuesday morning after a long illness.

Mr. Clark, a Nashville Songwriters Hall of Famer, had been in declining health for years, including a lengthy cancer battle. He was 74 years old, and the author of 13 compelling studio albums.

Born in Monahans, Texas on Nov. 6, 1941, and raised in the Lone Star State, Mr. Clark was a Nashville songwriting fixture for more than 40 years.

His songs were recorded by Johnny Cash, Ricky Skaggs, Rodney Crowell, Emmylou Harris, Vince Gill, Brad Paisley, Alan Jackson, George Strait, Bobby Bare, Jimmy Buffett, Kenny Chesney, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson and legions of others.

Mr. Clark and his wife, Susanna, were ringleaders in a Nashville roots music circus that included luminaries like Harris, Crowell, Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle, Mickey Newbury, Billy Joe Shaver and many more.

“The patron saint of an entire generation of bohemian pickers, Guy Clark has become an emblem of artistic integrity, quiet dignity and simple truth,” wrote Robert K. Oermann in the 1995 liner notes to Clark’s “Craftsman” collection.
http://www.tennessean.com/story/enterta ... /80932338/
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Re: R.I.P. Guy Clark (1941-2016)

Post by Kingoftonga »

Oh man, this makes me sad. One of the great country songwriters out there. I actually discovered him through this forum, and he quickly became one of my favorite country artists.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Re: R.I.P. Guy Clark (1941-2016)

Post by Matski »

Thanks for all the wonderful music Guy. I've been feeling the need to give 'My Favorite Picture of You' another spin lately...

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”