AMF 2016 Demographics Topic

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

AMF 2016 Demographics Topic

Post by BleuPanda »

It's been over a year since the last one had a new post, so I figured it would be best to start fresh, give everyone a chance to give an update on their lives and to let new members introduce themselves.

My name in real life is Topher (short for Christopher, and yes, I'm pretentious enough to not go with Chris (I don't like having a monosyllabic name...))...anyway. I currently work an office job, while also spending a lot of my free time writing. My majors in college (I graduated about a year ago) were Cinema Studies and Creative Writing; I finished up my first full manuscript last year, tried to sell it, still haven't gotten anywhere (not that I really expected anything from my first manuscript). I've been trying to get my second manuscript started, but I go through this phase where a hundred story ideas sound good and I don't know which to stick with...I think I found the big one, though. Everything I write is Young Adult, largely consisting of contemporary fantasies (i.e. characters in our modern world dealing with fantasy elements). Also, for some reason, every story idea that really sticks with me involves ghosts or other creatures only the protagonist can see; I think this might be because there were ideas I wanted to explore in my first manuscript that went unused.

I'm currently engaged to my partner of 3 years and 8 months, and we're planning to get married next summer. He just graduated and is entering his Master's Program next fall (continuing with Agricultural and Biological Engineering). We had a bit of trouble at the end of last year and through the early months of this one after I began to realize I am a homoromantic asexual, but we've figured things out since then. Identity is complicated (which is probably why I write young adult, since most popular works are about discovering yourself).

Like a lot of people here, I like making lists. Instead of filling the first post with a bunch of extended lists, I'm just going to post my decade favorites for a bunch of things:

Albums:
1950s: Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
1960s: The Velvet Underground and Nico - The Velvet Underground and Nico
1970s: David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
1980s: Pixies - Doolittle
1990s: R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
2000s: LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
2010s: Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly

Songs:
1950s: Buddy Holly - That'll Be the Day
1960s: The Velvet Underground - Heroin
1970s: Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
1980s: The Smiths - This Charming Man
1990s: The Breeders - Cannonball
2000s: LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends
2010s: Frank Ocean - Pyramids

Movies:
1920s: The Passion of Joan of Arc
1930s: The Rules of the Game
1940s: Citizen Kane
1950s: Sunset Blvd.
1960s: Persona
1970s: Harold and Maude
1980s: Wings of Desire
1990s: Pulp Fiction
2000s: Mulholland Drive
2010s: Amour

Top 10 Video Games:
1. Life is Strange
2. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
3. Metroid Prime
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Super Metroid
6. Bioshock
7. Undertale
8. Dark Souls
9. Portal 2
10. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Anyway, you can find me here running way too many polls simultaneously.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Re: AMF 2016 Demographics Topic

Post by acroamor »

Hi everyone! I was wondering when we'd have another one of these threads running.

Anywho, my name in reality is Logan. Currently, I'm a senior studying Screenwriting at the University of Southern California's film school, so kindred spirits with you, Bleu. This summer, I'm living in L.A., I'm taking a summer class, and I'm interning at an indie film production company (Morris from America, coming soon, was us). My primary study/hobby is screenwriting. I've written three feature film scripts and am in the middle of the fourth. Last summer, some friends and I back home shot one of them, even though we weren't funded or particularly trained in any way. Currently, we're in post-production for the project, finishing up editing and clearing music rights from small indie bands. If you'd like to watch a trailer for the film, here it is:
I originally come from a small town named Peachtree City, about half an hour from Atlanta, Georgia. That's where I spent most of my formative years and where I first found my passions for film and for music. I play guitar, saxophone, and drums and while I've never formally been a member of a band, I've been playing with friends for the past five or so years on and off. I've been a member of this site for four years, I suppose, but was lurking a year or two prior to that.

Besides movies and music, I party a lot (I know that's a little gross to say, but hey, it's USC). A few months ago, my roommates and I threw a party called "We're Only Going to Play Music That Isn't That Appropriate for a Party Environment at This Party" and made a playlist of Boards of Canada, Cowboy Junkies, Tortoise, Nick Drake, etc. It was quite a bit of fun to infect the USC party scene with some non-EDM for once. :mrgreen: I'm not strictly seeing someone right now, although my ex and I have recently been hooking up and "not trying to label it", whatever that means.

In the future, I hope to work as an independent film writer/director. Knowing that that's a difficult goal, I'm trying to go about it in the Swanberg/Duplass manner, starting with very contained, character-focused dramedies. Later this summer, I'm shooting another one of my scripts, a modernized version of My Dinner with Andre. The movie concerns two college students going on a Tinder date, and yes, it is called My Tinder with Andre. Hopefully any of this pays off in the future.

Musically, my tastes go in waves. Sometimes, I'll be very into rap, sometimes, instrumental guitar tracks, sometimes, ambient electronic. The most consistent genre as of late has been female-led singer-songwriters with heavy emphasis on vocal harmony, so Sharon Van Etten, Julia Holter, Julianna Barwick, First Aid Kit, etc. I focus a lot on lyrics when I listen to music, oftentimes it's the first thing I'll notice about a given track. I notice than in general, my tastes tend not to align generally with the forum's, but I always find amazing new discoveries. And I must say, this forum has a far better culture than any other web forum I'm ever found. So friendly.

Anyway, I've likely rambled too long. Long story short, I like movies and music. Also rollerblading.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Hard to believe I was 19 when I posted in the last one!

My name is Wesley Hunt and I am from Virginia, as evidenced but not made explicit by my username. You would pronounce it "W-Hunt-V-A" if you were to say it out loud. I will be 21 next month, though given my constant reminders in the songs poll last year, it is unlikely anyone has forgotten when my birthday is! :P

I am switching my major to Information Technology at George Mason University. I don't know when I'll get a degree as I was thinking of taking time off with my new job, but I like my school and computers just fine. I work for a sports statistics company in Leesburg, Virginia.

I have taken up freelance writing on places like DeviantArt and Tumblr about general topics that interest me. A lot of it is actually film/music reviews. I lately became very interested across all mediums in the practice of storytelling. Anyone can write a Joseph Campbell monomyth-type story. But I'm more interested in playing with that setup. My favorite stories are where I know the authors know the rules and then break them. I have much more fun with the twists and turns. Writing all of this well is what distinguishes an author from all of his/her/their contemporaries.

For films, I was inspired to write primarily about them at a young age. I have an appreciation for visual art, and the way no two films look or feel exactly alike always appeals to me. If anyone questions why WALL-E is my favorite film, I can now fully elaborate the reason. It was a film that not only moved my emotions, but struck me as a great feat with how it was able to control its story and develop its characters in a way I had never seen before. It was the film that inspired my film odyssey. When I first started writing about film at about the age of fifteen, I made it a goal for myself to watch every film on Ebert's "Great Movies List". Six years on, I am about halfway done. It was hard to track my progress because nobody is sure how he counted Buster Keaton's filmography.

As far as music goes, I listen to basically anything. My tastes are simply what I like when I like it. On both my songs and albums lists are an eclectic selection of genres and time periods. I'd like to thank this forum also for introducing me to new material every so often.

I do like television as a serialized visual medium, and find it to be capable of telling great stories. My favorite show currently airing is Mr. Robot. And even in my old age, I am not above watching cartoons or anime. Some of my favorites include Gravity Falls for the West and Trigun for the East.

But what I really find interesting right now is the medium of podcasts. I really got into Welcome to Night Vale in 2013, and I was hooked. I was in awe at how it was able to use the audio medium to its advantage and all the hidden secrets and details the story left without giving too much away. Being a nonvisual med . This podcast has convinced me the direction of storytelling and media in general are headed in the direction of the podcast. I am currently listening to the team's spinoff projects Within the Wires and Alice Isn't Dead, but also on the side dabbling into the Leviathan Chronicles, which is a podcast that plays like a full cast audiobook.

This year, I joined the Infinite Summer reading program to try to get through 75 pages of Infinite Jest every week until the Fall Equinox. At about halfway through the actual plot of the book (not counting endnotes), I find the book to be at times frustrating, but a fun demonstration of all the authors tricks and gimmicks. I think of David Foster Wallace as sort of a magician of words, and every shift in tone is him performing a new part of the magic act.

As for video games, I do enjoy many of them, but I don't feel I am the best person with whom to discuss them. I grew up on Halo and Pokemon, and I thought the last Uncharted was good. I had fun with Undertale also. But I am more of a casual gamer than anything. I respect them as a storytelling and visual innovative force, but I myself cannot get myself to care too much about analyzing them. They're not my thing is what I'm saying.

I'll take BleuPanda's lead when ranking my Albums, Songs, and Films:

Albums:

1950s: Frank Sinatra-In the Wee Small Hours
1960s: The Beatles-Revolver
1970s: Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon
1980s: The Stone Roses-[Self-titled]
1990s: Radiohead-OK Computer
2000s: The White Stripes-Elephant
2010s: Undecided (Was a two-horse race between PJ Harvey-Let England Shake and Kasabian-Velociraptor! for a long time--but this year's Swans-The Glowing Man may act as a late spoiler)

Songs:

1950s: Chuck Berry-Johnny B. Goode
1960s: Jimi Hendrix-All Along the Watchtower
1970s: Queen-Bohemian Rhapsody
1980s: Guns n' Roses-Sweet Child O' Mine
1990s: The Verve-Bittersweet Symphony
2000s: Coldplay-Clocks
2010s: Birds of Tokyo-Plans

Films:

1910s: Intolerance
1920s: The Gold Rush
1930s: The Wizard of Oz
1940s: Casablanca
1950s: Vertigo
1960s: Psycho
1970s: Aguirre, Wrath of God
1980s: Amadeus
1990s: Fight Club
2000s: WALL-E
2010s: The Artist
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

My name is, unsurprisingly, Nick. I'm currently a graduate student at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in glorious upstate New York. I'm studying architecture!

I'm in my mid-20's.

I started visiting acclaimedmusic regularly back in 2006, and began posting on the old forums as "Nick" back in 2009.

For the longest time I had absolutely no interest in music. But that changed when I was 12 and my friend Matt introduced me to Weird Al Yankovic. That was the first music I really remember liking. After that the next artist I got into was Black Sabbath. And from there on it's been a love affair between me and music. But despite the fact that I listen to a ton of music, I actually really have very little talent in the way of music. I'm an awful singer, and I can't play an instrument. However, I've written lyrics to and co-produced a fair number of songs with some more musically inclined friends, so I've got that going for me.

My main hobbies include painting and writing. I'm also an avid reader. I try to read a book every 2 weeks, which I'm pretty successful at doing, except when grad school gets in the way. My top 5 favorite novels are (unranked)-

Infinite Jest- David Foster Wallace
Catch-22- Joseph Heller
Don Quixote- Miguel de Cervantes
Slaughterhouse-Five- Kurt Vonnegut
2666- Roberto Bolaño

As for writing, I write both fiction and non-fiction. I've written a couple of (admittedly bad) novels, and about 15 short stories I'm actually pretty proud of. I'd like to become a published author someday, but I'll have to keep writing and editing before I get to that level. I'd also like to become a licensed architect as well, which I'm on track to doing, and hope to become within the next 5 to 10 years.

Over the past year I've been getting into film a bit more seriously, and have seen over 100 movies in that time, including many classics and many new favorites. I'm also reading more about film and watching more video essays.

Like many of you, I'm an avid list maker. In addition to numerous music lists that I'm constantly revising, I also have a list of favorite movies and a list of favorite books. Once I even made a list of the best parties I'd ever been to.

I'm not much of a gamer, but my favorite video games are Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, the Pokemon series, Minecraft, Age of Empires 2, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, and Super Smash Bros. Melee. I've been playing board games more over the past year. I'm a decent chess player and I've been going to game nights at a friend's house every week where we try out new board games. I seem to be alright at Catan.

I also have a girlfriend, and I've been dating her for over 3 years now. Things are pretty serious and we're talking of moving in together once I graduate.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Nick wrote:I'm not much of a gamer, but my favorite video games are Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, the Pokemon series, Minecraft, Age of Empires 2, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, and Super Smash Bros. Melee. I've been playing board games more over the past year. I'm a decent chess player and I've been going to game nights at a friend's house every week where we try out new board games. I seem to be alright at Catan.

RCT! That game was my childhood.

I started with Catan during my freshman year of college. 4 years later and I own over 80 board games...Everything from the simplicity of Time's Up (a trivia game that doesn't rely on knowing the material - I think everyone here would like it, highly recommended) to 4+ hour monoliths with 50 page rulebooks.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

I tried Catan myself in college. I was too conservative with my resources to win, unfortunately.

I've heard of Time's Up and it sounds like exactly the game I'd enjoy.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Nick wrote: I'm not much of a gamer, but my favorite video games are Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, the Pokemon series, Minecraft, Age of Empires 2, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, and Super Smash Bros. Melee. I've been playing board games more over the past year. I'm a decent chess player and I've been going to game nights at a friend's house every week where we try out new board games. I seem to be alright at Catan.
Do you play much multiplayer minecraft?
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

luney6 wrote:
Nick wrote: I'm not much of a gamer, but my favorite video games are Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, the Pokemon series, Minecraft, Age of Empires 2, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, and Super Smash Bros. Melee. I've been playing board games more over the past year. I'm a decent chess player and I've been going to game nights at a friend's house every week where we try out new board games. I seem to be alright at Catan.
I used to play a lot more than I do now. At the height of my minecraft playing I was on the Reddit PVE server a lot, as well as a private server my friends and I set up.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

BleuPanda wrote:We had a bit of trouble at the end of last year and through the early months of this one after I began to realize I am a homoromantic asexual, but we've figured things out since then.
I'm thinking this would make a great chapter in your autobiography.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Nick wrote:
luney6 wrote:
I used to play a lot more than I do now. At the height of my minecraft playing I was on the Reddit PVE server a lot, as well as a private server my friends and I set up.
Oh, okay.. I occassionally just play on hypixel, or cubecraft.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

I've been listening to and collecting songs from this site for years, but I never checked out the forums until recently. I was intrigued by the discussions I saw, so I just decided to join. I work for NBC Sports in CT doing research for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, Premier League, Olympics, etc. I also write for suitesports.com, a sports and culture website, where I've been writing about sports for two years and am just starting to write about music, largely based on a project I did that drew inspiration from this website. I graduated from Haverford College, a small liberal arts college in PA near Philly, a couple years ago, and I minored in music there. I also worked at a company in NYC that employed composers to make tracks for TV shows on major networks, so I critiqued the tracks and helped decide which ones should be redone and which should be sent to the networks.

My main hobbies are music and sports. I'm obsessed with both. I have a massive iTunes library and I'm constantly organizing/analyzing/ranking songs, looking for new ones and trying to expand my tastes, as well as editing songs on GarageBand. I played varsity tennis in college, still play competitively all the time, and I teach lessons. I'm a huge Boston sports fan (I grew up in MA) and a huge fan of pro tennis, especially Rafael Nadal. I've collected the best sports highlights I've ever seen - a few hundred - and over 50 of them are by Nadal.

Albums:
1950s: Little Richard - Here's Little Richard
1960s: The Beatles - Abbey Road
1970s: Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
1980s: U2 - The Joshua Tree
1990s: Weezer - Weezer (Blue Album)
2000s: Arcade Fire - Funeral
2010s: Thrice - Major/Minor

Songs:
1950s: Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode
1960s: Ben E. King - Stand by Me
1970s: Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
1980s: U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
1990s: The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony
2000s: Arcade Fire - Wake Up
2010s: Thrice - Words in the Water

You probably haven't heard of Major/Minor (sadly), so I'll give a shoutout to Reflektor as my 2nd choice for album and song of the 2010s.

I'll go a step further and do artists of the decades:
1950s: Elvis Presley
1960s: The Beatles
1970s: Pink Floyd
1980s: U2
1990s: Radiohead
2000s: Muse
2010s: Arcade Fire

Honorable mention to The Rolling Stones, my 2nd-favorite band, who get shut out of all these lists because the '60s were just too good.

I'm not nearly as serious about movies and video games, but I'll do my best.

Movies:
1930s: The Wizard of Oz
1940s: Casablanca
1950s: 12 Angry Men
1960s: Psycho
1970s: The Godfather
1980s: Raiders of the Lost Ark
1990s: Pulp Fiction
2000s: The Dark Knight
2010s: Toy Story 3

Top 10 Video Games. Mostly nostalgic choices:
1. Geometry Wars Retro Evolved (I'm way too good at this game)
2. Super Smash Bros series, especially the first 2
3. NFL 2k5
4. Halo series
5. Gears of War series
6. Assassin's Creed series
7. Madden series
8. Mario Party 2
9. Paper Mario
10. Gauntlet Dark Legacy
Last edited by andyd1010 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

I want to do this but man you guys are making me feel I'm twice most of the people's age in this thread lol. And Bleu we all love your lists so don't ever feel like you do too many. Keep doing what you doing playboy and make that money.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

When I have time, I'll probably update my profile here. I am in the last demographic thread; and, really, all that's changed is I went back to college and now work as an inpatient medical coder. This means I get to work from home, which is great for a chronic introvert like me. Next month, our family will be moving from Michigan (where I've lived my entire life) to Tennessee so I can be closer to my workplace (since, for the first time in my life, I love my job)!

What I did want to say (though this is certainly nothing surprising) is it's great to see the number of creative people that are drawn to this site. Since my main passion is writing, it's especially good to know that I'm communicating with a lot of people who share this passion. No wonder we all get along so well on this forum! :greetings-waveyellow:
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

In the spirit of these top 5s/top 10s...

Top 5 Songs of All Time:

1. LCD Soundsystem- All My Friends
2. The Beatles- A Day in the Life
3. Pulp- Common People
4. The Beach Boys- Good Vibrations
5. The Smiths- There Is a Light That Never Goes Out

Top 5 Albums of All Time (One Album per Artist):

1. The Beatles- Revolver
2. Radiohead- OK Computer
3. The Clash- London Calling
4. The Beach Boys- Pet Sounds
5. LCD Soundsystem- Sound of Silver

Top Five Movies of All Time:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. The Big Lebowski
3. Koyaanisqatsi
4. Boyhood
5. Spirited Away

Top 5 Paintings of All Time:

1. Pablo Picasso- Guernica
2. David Hockney- A Bigger Splash
3. Henri Rousseau- The Hungry Lion Throws Itself on the Antelope
4. Keith Haring- The Marriage of Heaven and Hell
5. Gustav Klimt- The Kiss

Top 5 Novels of All Time:

1. David Foster Wallace- Infinite Jest
2. Joseph Heller- Catch-22
3. Kurt Vonnegut- Slaughterhouse-Five
4. Miguel de Cervantes- Don Quixote
5. Roberto Bolaño- 2666
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

bootsy wrote:I want to do this but man you guys are making me feel I'm twice most of the people's age in this thread lol. And Bleu we all love your lists so don't ever feel like you do too many. Keep doing what you doing playboy and make that money.
If you look at the old demographics topic, you'll a lot of people older. I think users age range from teens to people in their late 60s.

Anyway, hi, I'm Nassim (duh) ! I'm 31, I live in Paris but will move soon to Lille in the North of France for a job opportunity. I currently work at Kellogg's but will soon start a new job at Lesaffre, which is a company producing yeast for bakeries, breweries, pharmaceutical companies, farming... I'm used to working at companies every one knows (Kellogg's, Pepsico, Danone, Toyota...) so that will be quite a change. I work as a demand planner, which basically means I make sales forecast so the company can manage its budgets and production capacity. My new work should provide a lot of travel opportunity and should take me to the US, China, Russia, Turkey, Mexico... that's the part I'm really looking forward to ! My diploma says I'm an engineer by the way.
I have been dating an awesome American art history teacher for almost a year, unfortunately she's going back to the US early August. We're both looking for options to move but with me starting a new job and her being in the complicated academics world, we will probably live at opposite sides of the ocean for at least a year.

I'm a trivia buff, I love pub quiz, sporcles, trivial pursuit etc... I like a bit of everything : science, history, geography, politics, arts, though my main topics of interest are what would be qualified as "pop culture" : tv, movies, books and of course music. Basically, if the AV Club talks about it (probably the website I spend the most time on after AM), I'm interested.
I really like all kinds of games (well, all kinds of game without bargaining) : board games, video games, card games... I really love the new wave (well, it's been over 10 years now, don't know if I should still call it new) of board games, favorite includes Small World, Mysterium, Time's Up, Smash Up, Flash Point...
On the video game side, I started on team Nintendo, moved to team sony, then to xbox and am now back to Sony, and more than ever on PC thanks to the arrival of Steam (though if I can get a game, same price, on console and PC, I'll go with the console). Some of my favorite games include Jet Set Radio/JSR Future, Final Fantasy VII, Borderlands 2, the Guitar Hero/Rock Band series, Bust a Move 2, Donkey Kong Country 2... by the way, BleuPanda, if you read this, will there ever be a final round of the VG poll ?
I also love traveling, fortunately I have both a good salary and lots of holidays (yeah France) so I can do that once in a while (and that's my biggest fear about moving to the US... 2 weeks of holidays ? Really ? ). Favorite places I have been would be Iceland, Cape Verde, Petra, Melbourne, the Daintree Rainforest, the Ha Long Bay and Toronto. Wishlist starts with Costa Rica and New-Zealand, but it seems my next holidays will be centered around Auburn, Alabama...

On the music side, I would say most of the music I love gets had its seeds sown at the end of the 70s (with the DIY ethos, Kraftwerk and early rap, but got their real roots firmly planted around 88-89 with a string of indie and hip-hop albums and house and techno tracks that would go one to lead to most of the music I really love. So saying that, it won't surprise you that a vast majority of my favorite music is less than 25 year old. My favorite year ever is 1997 as it represents I think the best indie rock/folk has to offer, with my 2 favorite albums of all time and a whole bunch that made my top 200. I also love the huge variety of music we had available on the past 25 years, old genres are still around but you get to listen to post rock, metal, rap, IDM, post-hardcore, math-core, pagan metal, cow rock, nintendocore or whatever the next big band will come up with.
That's not to say I don't like music released before, there is a lot of like back then (except from 72 to 76 which I consider the darkest time in modern music history), but I just connect much more to more recent sounds.
For some reason I love songs in 3/4 time signature and it has been the case as far as I can remember, so there is a big percentage of them in the top of my all time list, including the first 4 spots. No idea where it came from, it just is !
I once in a while write reviews for indiepoprock.fr, though I only do it when I think I have a fun idea for a review so my output has been really light recently.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Nassim wrote:by the way, BleuPanda, if you read this, will there ever be a final round of the VG poll ?

I believe you mean JimmyJazz. I ran the video game music tourney. I think there might have been some issues with the video game poll, mainly the fact that few of us shared the same central experience. If we do try it again, I think doing a straight list submission might work better than by era. Unfortunately, unlike albums or movies, trying to explore our central list of video games can require up to 50+ hours for certain entrants.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Hi
My name is ...Nicolas and I'm a46 year old teacher from Paris, France. Married, 2 kids (12 and 9 years old).
I've been a forum member for almost 10 years now (july 2007) and as you probably know I've met and become friends in real life with a few AMers.
My RYM pseudo is niclejeune
I also sing and play acoustic guitar. And i've written and published a book when I was 30, a novel that has a lot to do with music But I haven't written since (no more ideas, or too much lazyness).
I don't visit the forum as musch as i used to, because of my time-consuming job, except during vacations (and I'm in vacation now).
I'm also a big soccer/football fan and i play an old table football game called Subbuteo, by myself or with my son. We play these huge fantasy World cup turnaments, it"s great (and very nerdy too)...
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

It seems with so many writers/prospective writers here, maybe we should start an AM writers group. It's always constructive to read other's works in progress and get feedback on your own. I know some people can be insecure about sharing their writing, but the AM forum has a couple of advantages: It's somewhat anonymous, and just about everyone here is extremely friendly. Any advice/critique would be framed nicely and constructively. Just a thought, if anyone's interested let me know and maybe I'll start it.

P.S. I spent many a day of my youth playing Subbuteo with myself or friends growing up in England. When I moved to the States no one had ever heard of it. Now that I've got two girls playing soccer, maybe I should dig the field, goals and a couple of teams out of the garage to have a game.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I am 33, I am a software engineer and I live in the greater Boston area.

For the past four years I have been an avid runner. Mostly obstacle races (You may have heard of Spartan Race, Tough Mudder), also some road races. My half marathon PR is 1:30:13 and I am currently in training for my first marathon. I'm optimistically targeting sub 3 hours, also I'm trying to qualify for Boston for which I need to hit 3:05. My VO2 max is 58 and my resting heart rate is 43.

I'm also interested in art films and video games. Video games I go two directions, twitchy absurdly challenging action platformers, and tactical story driven RPGs. Sports wise I root for all the Boston teams. NBA and NFL are the only sports I can still care about what happens when the Boston team is out though I made an exception for the Cubs this year. I enjoy craft beer and poker.

I too am interested in writing but have never gotten very far any of the times I've tried to start writing a novel. I drew a webcomic for several years. It was a comedy space opera that had lots of parody and also lots of character drama. The art isn't very good but I'm proud of the writing.

Best albums by decade:
50s: Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
60s: Tim Buckley - Happy Sad
70s: Neil Young - After The Gold Rush
80s: Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
90s: Nirvana - In Utero
00s: The Knife - Silent Shout
10s: The National - High Violet

Best movies by decade:
10s: A Man There Was
20s: Sunrise
30s: M