ULTIMATE MUSIC TOURNAMENT

slick
Movin' On Up

ULTIMATE MUSIC TOURNAMENT

Post by slick »

Thanks to all that participated in this years UMT and congratulations to The Rolling Stones, 2012 winners. This is their 2nd UMT crown, other past winners include The Beatles (twice), U2 & Led Zeppelin. I hope everyone enjoyed this years tournament and I look forward to be able to bring it back Next Year...

The initial plan for 2013 is to have US vs. The World...

I am open for any feedback on things that voters want to see in future tournaments...
slick
Movin' On Up

Re: ULTIMATE MUSIC TOURNAMENT

Post by slick »

Final Breakdown... I guess it would look something like this... 1.) The Rolling Stones 2.) Bob Dylan 3.) The Beatles 4.) Prince 5.) Led Zeppelin 6.) Bruce Springsteen 7.) R.E.M. 8.) David Bowie 9.) U2 10.) The Who 11.) The Clash 12.) The Cure 13.) Johnny Cash 14.) James Brown 15.) Arcade Fire 16.) Jimi Hendrix 17.) Radiohead 18.) Nirvana 19.) Elvis Presley 20.) The Kinks 21.) Pink Floyd 22.) Marvin Gaye 23.) Stevie Wonder 24.) The Doors 25.) Bob Marley 26.) Elvis Costello 27.) The Police 28.) Beastie Boys 29.) Queen 30.) Simon & Garfunkel 31.) Miles Davis 32.) Metallica 33.) CCR
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

US vs. the world sounds interesting but I think it might run into the same problem as going by genres where good bands exit early and some bands have easy matchups until the round of 64, maybe even round of 32. Also, is the US the powerhouse when it comes to rock and pop music?

My suggestion would be to do it the same way with genres but nobody gets knocked out, the initial round just determines the seeding for a huge field of 128 with four regions based on the number of votes it received in the qualifying round. So, the top four vote getters are #1 seeds, 5-8 #2 seeds, the least votes get #32 seeds. I think that would make for better matchups, and maybe some upsets throughout the tournament.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Thanks for another fun tournament Slick!
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

My initial plan was to have 8 regions with brackets made up of 64 artists placed semi-geographically in each region:

US:
1.) West
2.) South
3.) Midwest
4.) Northeast

World:
1.) The Americas
2.) UK
3.) Europe
4.) Africa, Asia & Australia
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Thanks for the tournament, Slick! It felt really quick this time!
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Thanks a lot! Though I only participated sporadically due to lack of knowledge, I feel happy knowing that I've played a part in crowning the Stones as the bestest of them all!
Spaz
Start Me Up

Post by Spaz »

Congratulations Slick! Tough job very well done.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

slick wrote: The initial plan for 2013 is to have US vs. The World...
Is this going to happen?
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Britain vs. US would be quite interesting.
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

Listyguy wrote:
slick wrote: The initial plan for 2013 is to have US vs. The World...
Is this going to happen?
I started planning this awhile back, but I have too much going on right now to fully invest 3 months of my life to make this work. Sorry about this, I would really love to be able to unveil this tourney but I do not see this happening for myself in the near future. If anyone would like to take this idea and run with it I would be willing to help any way I can.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”