The AMF Top 100 Artists 2016!!!

JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

The AMF Top 100 Artists 2016!!!

Post by JimmyJazz »

Hello fellow AM Forumers, welcome as we countdown the Greatest Music Artists of All Time! …As chosen by our users! This the fourth such poll in the forum’s history, and I am honored to have hosted it! Once again, apologies for the delay in the rollout, but it is finally here! We got the largest turnout in any poll in the forum’s history over the course of three months of voting. We got a whopping 64 ballots this year! Here are the voters who helped to contribute to this thing:

(in alphabetical order)

acroamor
andy1010
babydoll
Bang Jan
BleuPanda
bonnielaurel
bootsy
Brad
Bruno
Chris K.
Craig
Dan
Daniel
DaveC
Dexter
DocBrown
EmilienDelRey
Georgie
Gillingham
GucciLittlePiggy
Henrik
Henry
Honorio
Jackson
jamieW
Jeff
JimmyJazz
Jirin
JohnnyBGoode
Karla
kaue
Listyguy
Live In Phoenix
luney6
luvulongTIM
Maschine_Man
Merlo
Michel
Miguel
Moobeam
Nassim
Neil
Nick
notbrianeno
ordinaryperson
Otisredding
Petri
Pierre
PlasticRam
profeta
prosecutorgodot
Red Ant
renan_antonio
Romain
slick
sonofsamiam
spiritualized
stone37
TimmyWing
Toni
VanillaFire1000
vivian
whuntva
Zombeels

Unfortunately, some major users like nicolas and Stephan could not get votes in, but as you can see, we have a nice mixture of veteran users and new blood. The rankings and placements of this list, as you will see, are sure to confuse many, and will likely cause much disagreement (including from yours truly!). As I mentioned in the voting thread, after the main list is posted, I will go and provide some variations of the list to satisfy others, as well as various other statistics. Those will have to wait for now, however, as I really want to get this list rolling in consideration of all of the delays that have been had!

Before I post the 500-101 portion of the list, a peek at the format that will be used for the Top 100 itself:

Brief Description of the Artist
Rank| Artist Name
Points / Number of Votes
Picture
AM Rank
2008 Rank
2010 Rank
2013 Rank
Gain from 2013 poll
Top Albums (based off of 2014 poll)
Top Songs (based off of 2015 poll)
Biggest Fans (within relation to about half of that artist’s votes)

Prepare for the beginning of the list soon!
Last edited by JimmyJazz on Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: The AMF Top 100 Artists 2016!!!

Post by BleuPanda »

!!!

(Is that excitement, or hopes for my 8th favorite dance-punk artist to make the list? You decide.)
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

I've been speculating so much on who those "baffling" acts might be that I'm now ready for anything. Open fire Jimmy :D
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

The suspense... the suspense...
Maybe the disconcerting part is the placement of artists. Not the worst thing ever.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Notes on the format of the 500-101 list:

Italics indicate artists with only a single vote
Bolded artists indicate artists who once placed in the AMF Top 100 (In brackets will be the year and the rank)

500-401

500| My Morning Jacket
499| The Chemical Brothers
498| CHVRCHES
497| Andy Stott
496| Devo
495| John Cale
494| Jefferson Airplane
491| Popol Vuh
491| Imagine Dragons (!)
491| dc Talk

490| Ice Cube
489| João Gilberto
488| Grandaddy
487| 2Pac/Tupac Shakur
486| Vainica Doble
485| George Gershwin
480| Phish
480| Los Enemigos
480| Krzysztof Penderecki
480| Juliana Barwick
480| The Beat/The English Beat

479| Electric Light Orchestra
478| The Animals
477| Shakira
476| The Cars
475| Sheryl Crow
474| Supergrass
473| Dolly Parton
472| Creed
471| Bat for Lashes
470| Alicia Keys
469| Muddy Waters
468| Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci
467| Blind Faith
466| Suzanne Vega
465| Camarón de la Isla
464| Usher
463| Patsy Cline
462| Steve Miller Band
461| Whitesnake
460| Roy Harper
459| Flying Lotus
458| Townes Van Zandt
457| Game Theory
456| Radio Futura
455| Father John Misty
454| Nickelback (!!!!!!!)
453| Grateful Dead
450| Los Ilegales
450| Heartless Bastards
450| Courtney Barnett

449| Joan Manuel Serrat
448| Cesária Évora
447| Joe Jackson
446| Kelly Clarkson
445| Bo Diddley
444| Iron Maiden
443| The Minutemen
438| The Verlaines
438| Puppetmastaz
438| Les Rita Mitsouko
438| The Easybeats
438| Annie Lennox

437| The United States of America
436| Moby
435| Nico
434| Tortoise
433| Ariel Pink
432| Chico Buarque
423| Soul Coughing
423| Sharon Van Etten
423| Rebecca St. James
423| Marcos Valle
423| The Manhattans
423| Jewel Kilcher
423| The Doobie Brothers
423| Barry Manilow (!)
423| Avenged Sevenfold

422| Cyndi Lauper
421| Thelonious Monk
420| Four Tops
419| Randy Newman
418| The xx
417| Cloud Nothings
416| Dionne Warwick
415| The Dandy Warhols
414| Franz Ferdinand
413| Charlie Parker
408| Robert Forster
408| Paramore
408| Girls in Hawaii
408| Frightened Rabbit
408| Arthur Russell

407| Explosions in the Sky
406| Backstreet Boys
405| Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young)
404| Dead Can Dance
403| KISS
402| The Streets
401| Linda Ronstadt
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

I did submit a list - guess you just missed my name off your list JimmyJazz
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Backstreet Boys OVER Nico, Patsy Cline, Jefferson Airplane, George Gershwin, Dionne Warwick, The Animals, Randy Newman, Four Tops, Thelonious Monk, Cyndi Lauper, Joe Jackson Dolly Parton, and perhaps most heartbreakingly, Bo Diddley?
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Creed and Nickelback got more than one vote! For shame!

Otherwise, nothing too outstanding but already an eclectic list with a variety of artists. Also, nothing I voted for. Can't wait for the rest.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

If I'm not mistaken, I spotted only two acts from my top 100 here (Jefferson Airplane and The United States of America). Both losses disappointing but not unexpected, sadly. I expect more to come quickly, unfortunately :D
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

John Cale finished below Creed and Nickleback. :roll:
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Worry point: Imagine Dragons, Nickelback and Backstreet Boys are down, but New Kids on the Block, One Direction and Justin Bieber have yet to show up :D
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Pierre wrote:Worry point: Imagine Dragons, Nickelback and Backstreet Boys are down, but New Kids on the Block, One Direction and Justin Bieber have yet to show up :D
Justin Bieber did kind of redeemed himself with "What Do You Mean" and "Where Are U Now" a little bit.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

babydoll wrote:
Pierre wrote:Worry point: Imagine Dragons, Nickelback and Backstreet Boys are down, but New Kids on the Block, One Direction and Justin Bieber have yet to show up :D
Justin Bieber did kind of redeemed himself with "What Do You Mean" and "Where Are U Now" a little bit.
Perhaps, but is it enough to be inducted into a top 500 artists of all time?
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Pierre wrote:
babydoll wrote:
Perhaps, but is it enough to be inducted into a top 500 artists of all time?
No, but mainly because he also made "Baby" and "One Less Lonely Girl".
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

With more new blood you might expect more mainstream acts to show up just from people who haven't been using the site to discover as long as we have.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Jirin wrote:With more new blood you might expect more mainstream acts to show up just from people who haven't been using the site to discover as long as we have.
Yes, and despite my tendency for sarcasm, I'm also humble enough to accept the idea that using this website will not necessarily change how they feel about some of their favourite mainstream acts. It was a poll of this community's favourite acts, and everybody is looking for something different in their appreciation for music, after all.

I want to excuse myself if I offended some lurkers or newcomers with my words. I'm conscious that acting this way might just discourage them from ever contributing again, just because they feel that we're making fun of their tastes. Which is the case, yes, but I'm not targeting them particularly. Everybody have their "guilty" pleasures, and in my opinion we just must learn to live with them :P
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Once again, as always, we can blame the Canadians.

Perhaps we should see what the list looks like divided among those who didn't and did vote for Nickelback? You know, like we did with Stairway to Heaven a few years back? :whistle:

I think one notable feature of our artists poll is, for whatever reason, they generally allow entrants with a single vote. Compare this to the song poll, where even a #1 vote would only reach the sub-1000 range. This is likely due to the size of individual lists; going from 100 to 500 is a giant leap, especially compared to 500 to 1000. As such, the lower depths aren't really a consensus, but rather a strange mix of our odd favorites. In other words: don't take these lower placements too seriously. I imagine the difference in score is minuscule.

The Chemical Brothers being so low is disappointing. I guess we still don't have many electronic fans if they struggle to place.
Last edited by BleuPanda on Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Pierre wrote:
Jirin wrote:With more new blood you might expect more mainstream acts to show up just from people who haven't been using the site to discover as long as we have.
Yes, and despite my tendency for sarcasm, I'm also humble enough to accept the idea that using this website will not necessarily change how they feel about some of their favourite mainstream acts. It was a poll of this community's favourite acts, and everybody is looking for something different in their appreciation for music, after all.

I want to excuse myself if I offended some lurkers or newcomers with my words. I'm conscious that acting this way might just discourage them from ever contributing again, just because they feel that we're making fun of their tastes. Which is the case, yes, but I'm not targeting them particularly. Everybody have their "guilty" pleasures, and in my opinion we just must learn to live with them :P
And I'd like to say that my Backstreet Boys comment was just out of pure shock.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

BleuPanda wrote:The Chemical Brothers being so low is disappointing. I guess we still don't have many electronic fans if they struggle to place.
376 spots below their AM rank :(
There are only 2 electronic bands (I think, and depending how you classify Eno) with a chance of a good showing in our polls, and strangely they both come from non english speaking country.
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

It is possible to discover non- 'mainstream' acts elsewhere. It is also OK to like 'mainstream' acts.
Last edited by JohnnyBGoode on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Nassim wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:The Chemical Brothers being so low is disappointing. I guess we still don't have many electronic fans if they struggle to place.
376 spots below their AM rank :(
There are only 2 electronic bands (I think, and depending how you classify Eno) with a chance of a good showing in our polls, and strangely they both come from non english speaking country.
I don't know if you're using "bands" as a generic term for "acts", but I believe Aphex Twin has a fair chance too. I'll keep my illusions about Underworld as long as possible, but despite my high ranking, I don't see them breaking into the top 100.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Okay, the five artists on my list that has already appeared.

66. The Four Tops
91. Thelonious Monk
92. Linda Ronstadt
93. The Animals
94. Bo Diddley

AND I JUST SAW 2PAC AT #487!
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

babydoll wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I like Backstreet Boys: it's where Max Martin honed his skills. I did not list them, but I am happy that some pop acts are showing up. Among those I did list, saddened that I was evidently the only vote for Arthur Russell.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Jeff wrote:Among those I did list, saddened that I was evidently the only vote for Arthur Russell.
I discovered him recently, and I think he sounds very interesting. I'm having trouble adjusting to his unique sound, but it's a predictable grower for me.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Pierre wrote:
I don't know if you're using "bands" as a generic term for "acts", but I believe Aphex Twin has a fair chance too. I'll keep my illusions about Underworld as long as possible, but despite my high ranking, I don't see them breaking into the top 100.
No way Aphex Twin makes it to the top 100. I wouldn't even be sure he will show at all, making the top 400 would already be an improvement versus the last poll. Underworld wasn't top 500 the last time around so doesn't bode well for them either.
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

Nassim wrote:
Pierre wrote:
No way Aphex Twin makes it to the top 100. I wouldn't even be sure he will show at all, making the top 400 would already be an improvement versus the last poll. Underworld wasn't top 500 the last time around so doesn't bode well for them either.
I bet Aphex is on here. I put him in my top 20 and me putting Arthur Russell at #9 was enough to get him to borderline-top 400.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Jeff wrote:
babydoll wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I like Backstreet Boys: it's where Max Martin honed his skills. I did not list them, but I am happy that some pop acts are showing up. Among those I did list, saddened that I was evidently the only vote for Arthur Russell.
I actually disagree with this statement. I think it was only with Britney Spears that he realized what he could do for pop music. Now he's making catchy pop songs with Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande. I mean, Robyn and Backstreet Boys were the beginning of the Max Martin odyssey, but "...Baby One More Time" was the true gamechanger here.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Very interesting results. I kind of wish I'd put Nico and Moby on my list now - they both deserve higher.

And in line with babydoll, my highest artists to have already appeared:
10. Sharon Van Etten
14. Julianna Barwick
(not surprised to have been the only vote for either of them, I've noticed I'm generally their loudest advocate around these parts)
56. Tortoise
60. Explosions in the Sky

Interested to see how high any other post-rock artists make it on the list. I'd imagine that Sigur Ros places the highest - I'm hoping and praying that Godspeed and Mogwai do well. And with the general direction that the forum has been making, I could maybe see Kashiwa Daisuke appearing in the high 300s
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

babydoll wrote:
Jeff wrote:
babydoll wrote: And I'd like to say that my Backstreet Boys comment was just out of pure shock.
I actually disagree with this statement. I think it was only with Britney Spears that he realized what he could do for pop music. Now he's making catchy pop songs with Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande. I mean, Robyn and Backstreet Boys were the beginning of the Max Martin odyssey, but "...Baby One More Time" was the true gamechanger here.
I put Britney at #22 for what it's worth, but Martin wrote basically every big song for Backstreet Boys whereas I believe Britney worked with several different songwriters and producers during those days. His work on "...Baby One More Time" sounds very similar to his work with Backstreet Boys (the hooks and instrumentation), so I do not see the need to privilege one over the other in terms of being pop music "game changers" (which they were, but it's hard to argue one being more influential than the other). Now if we're talking personal preference, I would definitely take "...Baby One More Time" over BSB's best.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Hmm. It appears The Chemical Brothers is the only act on my list to fall. They were my #65.
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

I am at work an had to take a quick sneak peek. Lo and behold some results are here.

Very ecclectic list so far but not surprising in relation to my list. Most of these appear to be artists who represent only one vote. It is a nice primer for the big reveal (The top 100). I can safely say I did not vote for Backstreet Boys, however Sheryl Crow, Father John Misty, Dolly Parton, Kelly Clarkson and Cyndi Lauper were on my list.

I did not expect them to place at all so I am kind of suprised.

I am surprised at some of the artist that did make the list, My mama, God rest her soul, loved Barry Manilow!!. Me, not so much. Keep em coming!! :D
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

acroamor wrote: ... my highest artists to have already appeared:
10. Sharon Van Etten
14. Julianna Barwick
(not surprised to have been the only vote for either of them, I've noticed I'm generally their loudest advocate around these parts)
SVE just missed my list.
Last edited by JohnnyBGoode on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

acroamor wrote:Very interesting results. I kind of wish I'd put Nico and Moby on my list now - they both deserve higher.

10. Sharon Van Etten
14. Julianna Barwick
56. Tortoise

Interested to see how high any other post-rock artists make it on the list. I'd imagine that Sigur Ros places the highest - I'm hoping and praying that Godspeed and Mogwai do well. And with the general direction that the forum has been making, I could maybe see Kashiwa Daisuke appearing in the high 300s

Hmm...So, I take it everyone's top 14 made the list? That feels like a lot.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Jeff wrote:
babydoll wrote:
Jeff wrote:
I put Britney at #22 for what it's worth, but Martin wrote basically every big song for Backstreet Boys whereas I believe Britney worked with several different songwriters and producers during those days. His work on "...Baby One More Time" sounds very similar to his work with Backstreet Boys (the hooks and instrumentation), so I do not see the need to privilege one over the other in terms of being pop music "game changers" (which they were, but it's hard to argue one being more influential than the other). Now if we're talking personal preference, I would definitely take "...Baby One More Time" over BSB's best.
I put her at #27 for what it's worth. (I ranked artists due to how much I listen to them and how well their work has been over time. And while Britney's albums weren't the best, Blackout was amazing, and her best singles were some of the best pop music of the aughties.) I understand what you mean by saying that Martin's work on "...Baby One More Time" had already shown up in traces with the Backstreet Boys, but I feel that he realized just how much of a role he could have in the music process and business with "...Baby One More Time", for you could arguably say it was Max Martin who made Britney Spears the Princess of Pop. Lou Pearlman made the Backstreet Boys, but Max Martin made Britney Spears. See what I mean?

But Britney hasn't shown up yet in this list.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

BleuPanda wrote:
acroamor wrote:Very interesting results. I kind of wish I'd put Nico and Moby on my list now - they both deserve higher.

10. Sharon Van Etten
14. Julianna Barwick
56. Tortoise

Not necessarily so. Here's my top 14.

01 | Dusty Springfield
02 | Bob Dylan
03 | Madonna
04 | The Beatles
05 | David Bowie
06 | The Doors
07 | Simon & Garfunkel
08 | Prince
09 | The Rolling Stones
10 | Bjork
11 | Miles Davis
12 | Frank Sinatra
13 | Michael Jackson
14 | The Beach Boys

All except #1 would have shown up without my participation.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

BleuPanda wrote:

10. Sharon Van Etten
14. Julianna Barwick
56. Tortoise

It looks more like top 15 based on the italicized tie at 491. And I agree, that does sort of feel like a lot, but it's always interesting to find some of the more idiosyncratic choices like that towards the bottom of our lists.
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

BleuPanda wrote:
acroamor wrote: Hmm...So, I take it everyone's top 14 made the list? That feels like a lot.
Looks like everyone's top 15 @491=

Wish I'd put myself at 15 now.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

Having only a top 50 artists list consisting of mostly highly acclaimed artists, few of my picks have fallen thus far (though I can think of at least one act that almost certainly won't make the cut).

15. Cloud Nothings (#417)
31. The Streets (#402)
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Ah, based on the placement of one of mine it looks like my most up-to-date list was not used. Understandable because I submitted it at the last second. I had forgotten Sufjan Stevens the first time around, so they will suffer the most from it unfortunately.

I see what you were saying, JimmyJazz. Surprising results so far. But I'm sure they will get less bizarre as we continue
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Edited the voters list, DaveC!

400-301:

400| Evanescence
399| Roxette
398| Heart
397| Hüsker Dü (2008: 61)
396| The Killers
395| Billy Idol
394| Robert Johnson
393| Lenny Kravitz
392| The Brian Jonestown Massacre
388| The Primitives
388| Oingo Boingo
388| Joe Satriani
388| Curt Boettcher

387| Doves
386| Rage Against the Machine
385| Céline Dion
384| Derek & The Dominos
383| David Guetta (!!!!!)
382| John Adams
381| Antony and the Johnsons
378| Steve Winwood
378| Paul Revere & the Raiders
377| Run the Jewels
376| Mary J. Blige
375| Bruno Mars (!)
374| Three Doors Down (!)
368| Utopia
368| Juan Gabriel
368| Jack Drag
368| Derrick May
368| Boyz II Men
368| Air Supply

367| John Mayer
366| Morrissey
365| Lucinda Williams
364| The Kills
363| Rihanna
362| Amon Düül II
361| Blue Öyster Cult
360| Run-D.M.C.
355| Nightwish
355| Lisa Germano
355| Goldfrapp
355| Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu
355| Exuma

354| Sex Pistols
353| Alice in Chains
352| The Allman Brothers Band
351| Dire Straits
350| Hall & Oates (!)
349| The Avalanches
348| Grizzly Bear
347| The B-52’s
346| Silverchair
345| Florence + The Machine
344| Chance the Rapper
343| Teenage Fanclub
342| System of a Down
341| The Everly Brothers
340| The Go-Betweens
339| Tool
338| Real Estate
337| The Beta Band
336| Garbage
334| Lighthouse Family
334| Igor Stravinsky

333| The Boo Radleys
332| Rod Stewart
331| Eric B. & Rakim
330| Ghostface Killah
329| Erykah Badu
328| De La Soul
327| Joe Hisaishi
326| Fiona Apple
325| The Verve
324| Bob Seger (and the Silver Bullet Band)
323| Herbie Hancock
322| Hot Chip
321| The Black Keys
320| Sarah McLachlan
319| Red House Painters
318| Pere Ubu
317| Tame Impala
316| Mac DeMarco
315| M83
311| Thrice
311| Small Faces
311| newsboys
311| KPM All-Stars

310| Fugazi
309| Antônio Carlos Jobim
308| Smokey Robinson (and The Miracles)
307| Alanis Morissette
306| NEU!
305| Crowded House
304| Tina Turner
303| Diana Ross
302| Saint Etienne
301| Camera Obscura
EmilienDelRey
Unquestionable Presence

Post by EmilienDelRey »

Last edited by EmilienDelRey on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

EmilienDelRey wrote:
babydoll wrote:All except #1 would have shown up without my participation.
I'm glad to see she has a big fan around here. 'Dusty in Memphis' is marvelous. I wanted to do the blurb for that album but you already did it :D. Dusty is #63 on my list.
Sorry... And yes! She rules. I'm glad someone else voted for her. Her career besides Dusty in Memphis is also really stunning despite some lows.

And Celine Dion is way too high.

Oh, and some more artists that made it on my list that has now appeared:
35 | Robert Johnson
40 | Tina Turner
78 | Rihanna
87 | The Everly Brothers
97 | Smokey Robinson & the Miracles (they're way too low on this list)
Last edited by babydoll on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

My next wave of fallen artists:

20. Run the Jewels (#377)
22. Chance the Rapper (#344)
50. Ghostface Killah (#330)
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
EmilienDelRey
Unquestionable Presence

Post by EmilienDelRey »

Last edited by EmilienDelRey on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Another of my top 100 falls; surprised it hasn't been more. My #83 Hot Chip landed at 322. I'm happy with this results, since they were one of the bands I expected not to make it at all.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

EmilienDelRey wrote:
babydoll wrote:And Celine Dion is way too high.
And what about David Guetta? :|
I'd take David Guetta over Celine Dion any God-given day. She can't even sing while Guetta works with other artists.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Not having looked at the top 300 yet, it will be interesting to see if any of the following make the top 300 this year:

James Taylor (my 16/429 in the 2004 poll) - in 2003 Merlo rating was 36 - looks challenging but possible
Donald Fagen (17/734) - no other voters in 2003 - very unlikely
Chick Corea (Return to Forever) (18/680) - no other voters in 2003 - almost impossible
Billy Joel (23/418) - in 2003 Daniel (28), stone37 (39), listyguy (40), jamieW (77), Bruno (92) - seems possible
Blue Oyster Cult (40/430) - not expected
Boston (42/533) - very unlikely
Jethro Tull (44/374) - possible
Cat Stevens (47/488) - not expected
Traffic (70/288) - not as likely as the numbers appear to indicate
Tears for Fears (77/435) - possible
Bob Seger (95/440) - possible
Squeeze (97/508) - very unlikely
Bee Gees (104/304) - expected
Rush (107/502) - possible
Eurythmics (130/343) - possible
Buffalo Springfield (132/264) - not as likely as the numbers appear to indicate
The Lovin' Spoonful (144/478) - very unlikely
Prefab Sprout (145/334) - possible

My conjecture is that the following artists from my top ten will not receive a single vote from another participant in this poll:
Todd Rundgren, Style Council, Utopia, Steve Winwood, and Joe Satriani.
Last edited by Henry on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Henry wrote:Eurythmics (130/343) - possible
Moonbeam is a HUGE fan of them so they'll appear.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

JimmyJazz, thanks for a great presentation so far! However I have to say, are the exclamation marks really necessary? (And what's so wrong about Hall & Oates?)
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”