Bob Marley
The Pixies
I'll guess:

Hank Williams
LCD Soundsystem
Brian Eno
Portishead
John Coltrane
Portishead already bowed at 67. So low!!
Zombeels
Different Class

Re: The AMF Top 100 Artists 2016!!!

Post by Zombeels »

Moonbeam wrote:
Henry wrote:Any guesses for the next 5?

Perhaps one of the following artists will find their place in the next five:

Queen
Simon & Garfunkel
Brian Eno
Elvis Costello
The Kinks
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Bob Marley
The Pixies
I'll guess:

Hank Williams
LCD Soundsystem
Brian Eno
Portishead
John Coltrane
Portishead was 67

Somebody beat me to it. I was shocked they were in the top 100.
Last edited by Zombeels on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Moonbeam wrote:

Queen
Simon & Garfunkel
Brian Eno
Elvis Costello
The Kinks
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Bob Marley
The Pixies
I'll guess:

Hank Williams
LCD Soundsystem
Brian Eno
Portishead
John Coltrane
No way Hank Williams cracks the top 40, especially on a country averse forum like this.

I'd say...

Brian Eno, Queen, LCD Soundsystem, Simon and Garfunkel, and Bob Marley are probably the safest bets for the next 5.
Last edited by Nick on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
profeta
Start Me Up

Post by profeta »

prosecutorgodot wrote:Alright, you're a Bee Gees' expert on this forum now, so I gotta get recommendations: Favorite Bee Gees' album and song?
I'd say:

Albums: Saturday Night Fever, Odessa and Bee Gees' 1st

Songs: Stayin' Alive, How Deep Is Your Love and How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Neil wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:

Queen
Simon & Garfunkel
Brian Eno
Elvis Costello
The Kinks
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Bob Marley
The Pixies
I'll guess:

Hank Williams
LCD Soundsystem
Brian Eno
Portishead
John Coltrane
That's right. Let's go with Elvis Costello, then.

Edit: Hank Williams didn't make the top 200, so let's say:

LCD Soundsystem
Brian Eno
John Coltrane
Elvis Costello
Simon and Garfunkel
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Dan wrote:It's nice to see that this is still the friendliest music forum out there. If I had to make a list of "greatest artists" it probably won't look much different from my list of "favourite artists" that I submitted for this poll (although I would likely include more experimental artists on the greatest list, as I feel I don't value experimental music as much as I want to). But I know that for many people there's a significant difference between "favourite" and "greatest", and I'm really pleased that people were so honest about what artists they really liked the most when they submitted their lists. It made me realize that I should be more honest (and unafraid) about enjoying certain artists, songs and albums that most music aficionados will find uncool. As a friend of mine on this forum once said, there should be no such thing as guilty pleasures in music, only pleasures.

Below is something I posted in our last all-time albums poll about Brel's album Ces gens-là. It explains what I love about his music. Honorio elaborated on the things I wrote, which I will also post below...
Dan wrote:
nicolas wrote:Henry, two of the greatest fans of that album, Henrik and Dan, don't speak French, and I'm also surprised that they had this album so high considering the importance of Brel's lyrics (espacially in the title song, the lyrics are a great moment of poetry). But this is probably the most cohesive Brel album musically speaking. The production is amazing. I personnally prefer Brel's last album from 1977 ("Brel" or "Les Marquises"), because of the power of its lyrics (Brel was about to die from lung cacer and knew it). But I know that if you don't speak French you miss a lot of that album and I understand that non francophone people prefer "Ces gens-là".
Yes, most Brel fans who speak French say that the best thing about his songs are the lyrics. They talk of Jacques Brel the poet, with his interesting characters and their fascinating stories. I have read translated lyrics of many of his songs. The problem is, I have found that different translations of the same song can vary in quality and impact. And of course, some of the meaning just gets lost in translation. Nevertheless, it’s still easy to get an impression of what a good storyteller he was when you read the translated lyrics.

Then there are people who say that the best way to appreciate Brel is to look at video clips of his live performances, as he was an intensely physical and charismatic performer. There’s plenty of truth in that, and I have spent many pleasant hours looking at clips of his live performances on YouTube.

But as I don’t speak French, and as I don’t watch any videos when I listen to this album, it’s obviously the music that does it for me. The title track ("Ces gens-là") is a chanson classic, but it’s the more lively orchestration and production of other songs that make me love this album as much as I do (especially "La chanson de Jacky", which to me is the best example of a song where intricate, theatrical orchestration matches the passion and exuberance of Brel’s vocal delivery). But it’s not all about big, spirited orchestration – there are also slower, beautiful songs with a lot of emotional weight, like “Les Désespérés”, even if you don’t understand what he’s singing about.

It’s not always easy to explain what you like about an album when what it actually comes down to in the end is the way it makes you feel. Every month I seem to enjoy it more and more to listen to good music that is not sung in English. More often than not, I listen to non-anglophone music that falls outside the realm of rock and pop. This is not because I think that non-anglophone rock bands or pop acts are worse than their anglophone counterparts; it’s just that I’m more interested in styles and sounds that are unique to a specific country. To me, a lot of chanson (both from France and from other francophone countries) sounds quite a bit different to the anglophone music I grew up with. And every time I listen to this album (I usually listen to the original 25-minute, 6-track release from 1965), I love its francophone “otherness” as well as its theatrical yet emotionally intimate charm. It’s the non-anglophone album that excites me the most, and it is currently my second favourite album of all time. That’s just the way it is for me.
Honorio wrote:First of all, this is not my favourite Brel album (it's "Olympia 64"), in fact the album only grabbed my attention after a Henrik's suggestion. And secondly I'm going to follow the structure of the argumentation from the excellent review posted by Dan.
a) Brel the poet: yes, Dan, Brel was a fantastic lyricist. The way he turns the story upside down at the end of some songs is masterful, sometimes in the last verse. We know at the end that the narrator of the dysfunctional family of "Ces gens-là" is also part of this family, we know that both the narrator and "Jef" are beggars only in the last verse, we know in the end that the real infidelity is not committed by the grandfather but by the grandmother on "Grand-mère" and, tying life and death, that in the end the real meaning of the word "barrack" is "coffin" in the last word of "L'âge idiot." And the lyrics themes covers (as always in his case) a lot of ground, there is of course the vivid dissector of social costumes and groups (family in "Ces gens-là," army in "L'âge idiot," high society in "Grand-mère" and even the life of shepperds in "Les bergers") but Brel also talks about life (the nostalgia of childhood in "La chanson de Jacky," the sudden fall and decline in "Jef" and the slow fall and decadence in "L'âge idiot"), death (one of his favourites subjects, represented here by the superb recreation of his own death "Le tango funèbre" and the lonely funeral of a friend in "Fernand") and of course love ("Mathilde" but also the belle comme un soleil Frida amidst the monsters parade of "Ces gens-là"). The tone of the lyrics, closely tied to the music, goes from the euphoric "Mathilde" to the melodramatic "Fernand," from the cynical "Tango funèbre" to the sympathetic "Jef," from the solemn "L'âge idiot" to the humble "Les bergers," from the weird "Ces gens-là" to the compassionate "Les désespérés."
b) Brel the performer: yes, Dan, in my opinion the natural state of Jacques Brel was the stage. No more about this subject, just see Ces gens-là or La chanson de Jacky.
c) Brel the musician: but yes, Dan, I agree with you wholeheartedly that the music itself is more than enough to appreciate Jacques Brel. It's also true that too often the easy-listening arrangements on many Brel songs deadweight them in the eyes (and ears) of a pop or rock aficionado. But, apart of the brilliant melodies created by Brel (sometimes teaming with Gérard Jouannest), the arrangements were truly remarkable throughout this particular album. To name a few: the combination of xylophone and accordion raising spirits during the chorus in "Jef" after the gloomy strings of the verses, the playful percussion (playing on the rim snare) on the "être une heure" part of "La chanson de Jacky," the pastoral piccolo melodies on "Les bergers," the incredibly sad melody on the accordion at 3'01" on "Fernand" (I remember Henrik pointing out at this melody while listening to the song at nicolas' house three years ago), the jubilous trumpets on "Mathilde," the waltz-time piano on "Les désespérés" and many more. But the crowning achievement of the album in this matter is undoubtedly the arrangements of "Ces gens-là." The first two minutes features a minimalist arrangement of only piano and double bass repeating two slightly dissonant notes. At 1'59" an accordion enters playing a distant melody, substituted at 2'25" by the strings at a high register. And then, preceeded by some flute trills it come the explosion. At 2'55", when the singer mention Frida qui est belle comme un soleil (who is beautiful as the sun) all the orchestra enters, blinding us with a light brighter that the sun. But the reality prevails (parce que les autres veulent pas, because the others don't want to), the horns shut up and the strings change the previous jubilous melody for an eerie melody from 3:43 that tinges the scene with a sense of unreality. This push of joy is finally completely lost at the end of the song. And during the whole song the double bass played the same two notes. Absolutely brilliant.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing these old posts - really makes me want to dive in.
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

Moonbeam wrote:
Neil wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:
I'll guess:

Hank Williams
LCD Soundsystem
Brian Eno
Portishead
John Coltrane

LCD Soundsystem
Brian Eno
John Coltrane
Elvis Costello
Simon and Garfunkel
I'm rooting for Simon and Garfunkel and Elvis Costello!!
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Neil wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:
Neil wrote:

LCD Soundsystem
Brian Eno
John Coltrane
Elvis Costello
Simon and Garfunkel
I'm rooting for Simon & Garfunkel to not be in the next top five, but in the next top ten. :D
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

babydoll wrote:
Neil wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:

LCD Soundsystem
Brian Eno
John Coltrane
Elvis Costello
Simon and Garfunkel
I'm rooting for Simon & Garfunkel to not be in the next top five, but in the next top ten. :D
Simon and Garfunkel are so timeless!! I have discovered so many of their songs on this site. I am so grateful. My number one has yet to appear but I know they will. ha ha! And, I feel you have a kindred spirit with my top pick. I guess they may be in your top 5 as well!! Maybe, Moonbeam too!! I guess he top 30 will reveal!!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Wow, I hadn't even realized Queen was still around! I'm guessing they've already obliterated their old rankings.
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales should be the top song of the year. A bold prediction, of course, you never can tell!! Wishful thinking!!
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Neil wrote:
babydoll wrote:
Neil wrote:
Simon and Garfunkel are so timeless!! I have discovered so many of their songs on this site. I am so grateful. My number one has yet to appear but I know they will. ha ha! And, I feel you have a kindred spirit with my top pick. I guess they may be in your top 5 as well!! Maybe, Moonbeam too!! I guess he top 30 will reveal!!
If your #1 is who I think it is, I think I love you in a stranger-on-the-forums kind of way.
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

I was torn between that one and "the Knocks f/Carly Rae Jepsen" Love me like that". ha ha
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

I hear thunder in the distance....and it hits me in an instance....It's coming your way!! It should but, doubtful it will ..
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

I forgot to vote for Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds :(
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Wow, we seem to approaching a permutation of 2013's top 30! None of them have budged out as of yet!
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

So it's now 10 artists per day? I know Jimmy is having problems and all but not to be rude, if possible, can you add some more since this have been dragging out for weeks (and I think the Movie section is also waiting for this roll-out to end) and personally I can't wait for this to end and see the results of the alternative lists. I hope I didn't offend you Jimmy and no argument here that you've done a great job in the presentation.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Two very strong sets of five artists posted tonight (yesterday for you guys). Probably my favourites of the countdown so far. Can't wait to see the rest, although I'm almost certain that we're now heading toward a good ole' papa top 10 with the Beatles, the Stones, Dylan, etc. Not saying that they are not deserving of it but I was somewhat hoping for some surprise from this forum :D
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

profeta wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:Alright, you're a Bee Gees' expert on this forum now, so I gotta get recommendations: Favorite Bee Gees' album and song?
I'd say:

My favorite Bee Gees song is Too Much Heaven, on their 1979 album Spirits Having Flown.
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

I was going to say I was shocked a certain artist didn't make the top 500 when I realized I forgot to put them on my list also. Even with my forgetfulness I am shocked the Pretty Things did not make the list.

Also no ELP, Jimmy Smith or the Turtles. What a shame.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

That 41-50 section was great. Nick Cave has probably been my most listened-to artist this year, and I voted for him for the first time (a low vote around 80, but there's only up to go in the future as I dive into his massive back catalog). Interesting that PJ Harvey fell a few spots despite putting out an album this year (the recency effect has seemingly helped a lot of artists, particularly Kendrick Lamar), but it's a good showing for her nonetheless.

I'm hoping Brian Eno can keep it going--I didn't think he would make it nearly this high!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Jackson wrote:That 41-50 section was great. Nick Cave has probably been my most listened-to artist this year, and I voted for him for the first time (a low vote around 80, but there's only up to go in the future as I dive into his massive back catalog). Interesting that PJ Harvey fell a few spots despite putting out an album this year (the recency effect has seemingly helped a lot of artists, particularly Kendrick Lamar), but it's a good showing for her nonetheless.

I'm hoping Brian Eno can keep it going--I didn't think he would make it nearly this high!

I don't think it has anything to do with a 'recency effect'; Kendrick Lamar released a career-defining work, PJ Harvey released an album that isn't going to change anyone's opinion on her. To Pimp a Butterfly could very well end up album of the decade while The Hope Six Demolition Project only scored a 79 on Metacritic.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

bonnielaurel wrote:
profeta wrote:
I'd say:

My favorite Bee Gees song is Too Much Heaven, on their 1979 album Spirits Having Flown.
That one is definitely in contention for my favorite too! :greetings-waveyellow:
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Dexter wrote:So it's now 10 artists per day? I know Jimmy is having problems and all but not to be rude, if possible, can you add some more since this have been dragging out for weeks (and I think the Movie section is also waiting for this roll-out to end) and personally I can't wait for this to end and see the results of the alternative lists. I hope I didn't offend you Jimmy and no argument here that you've done a great job in the presentation.
I think we should let Jimmy take his time. He has said that he had personal problems, but is doing this roll-out nevertheless. I appreciate he is doing all of this in the first place.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

The wait is over folks ;)
Also, Moonbeam got the next the five the closest right, but one artist everybody seemed to miss (especially in light of the tumble of R&B)
Additionally, some extra features, like the little blurbs, will have to go to the side if you want me to churn these out faster. I can always go back and edit them in, of course, but I presume most folks here will know these next 40 artists!

40| John Coltrane
708.8 points / 24 votes
[imgsize 400x484]http://www.bluenote.com/cdn/mceuploads/ ... ltrane.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 56
2008 Rank: 59
2010 Rank: 87
2013 Rank: 36
Gain from 2013 Poll:

Top Albums (2014 Album Poll):
A Love Supreme (97)
Giant Steps (352)

Top Songs (2015 Song Poll):
My Favorite Things (349)
Acknowledgment (368)

Biggest Fans (Top 30 Placements):
sonofsamiam (1)

notbrianeno (3)
JimmyJazz (13)
bootsy (13)
Michel (14)
Jackson (15)
Merlo (18)
Gillingham (24)
babydoll (29)
jamieW (29)

39| LCD Soundsystem
732.7 points / 25 votes
[imgsize 400x284]http://www.gregggreenwood.com/wp/wp-con ... wood-1.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 57
2008 Rank: 100
2010 Rank: 44
2013 Rank: 74
Gain from 2013 Poll:
+35

Sound of Silver (62)
LCD Soundsystem (347)
This Is Happening (355)

All My Friends (18)
Someone Great (163)
Losing My Edge (253)
Dance Yrself Clean (693)
I Can Change (987)

BleuPanda (1)

Nassim (4)
VanillaFire1000 (10)
Toni (12)
Pierre (13)
Nick (15)
Moonbeam (17)
notbrianeno (18)
GucciLittlePiggy (24)
Jirin (25)
Jeff (29)

38| Brian Eno
738.4 points / 21 votes
[imgsize 400x484]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/ ... xlA2_I.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 87
2008 Rank: 66
2010 Rank: 81
2013 Rank: 73
Gain from 2013 Poll:
+35

Another Green World (121)
Here Come the Warm Jets (262)
Before and After Science (291)
My Life in the Bush of Ghosts (410)

By This River (479)
St. Elmo’s Fire (644)
Golden Hours (708)
The Big Ship (823)

Bang Jan (3)
Jackson (3)
Petri (6)
TimmyWing (6)
Merlo (7)
Chris K. (12)
Romain (12)
sonofsamiam (12)
notbrianeno (16)
jamieW (30)

37| Elvis Costello (and the Attractions)
800.8 points / 30 votes
[imgsize 400x284]http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/5587/31/16x9/960.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 19
2008 Rank: 19
2010 Rank: 25
2013 Rank: 34
Gain from 2013 Poll:

This Year’s Model (56)
My Aim Is True (142)
Armed Forces (387)
Imperial Bedroom (406)
Get Happy!! (421)

Alison (150)
(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding? (248)
Oliver’s Army (517)
Beyond Belief (541)
Watching the Detectives (570)
I Want You (745)
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes (908)

Toni (4)
Otisredding (4)
stone37 (4)
Brad (8)
DaveC (10)
Honorio (16)
DocBrown (21)
Listyguy (23)
TimmyWing (27)
Bang Jan (28)

36| Marvin Gaye
802.6 points / 35 votes
[imgsize 400x284]http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/a ... rd-650.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 18
2008 Rank: 46
2010 Rank: 38
2013 Rank: 23
Gain from 2013 Poll:

What’s Going On (30)
Let’s Get It On (301)

I Heard It Through the Grapevine (36)
What’s Going On (44)
Let’s Get It On (288)
Sexual Healing (341)
Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (460)
Inner City Blues (Makes Me Wanna Holler) (725)
Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology) (887)

EmilienDelRey (6)
bootsy (9)
stone37 (13)
bonnielaurel (15)
Bruno (16)
Henrik (18)
TimmyWing (19)
babydoll (20)
whuntva (20)
Merlo (26)
VanillaFire1000 (26)
Honorio (28)
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Bye, Marvin :(

35 votes!!! :o
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Eno with 8 top 12 votes.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Bruno wrote:Eno with 8 top 12 votes.
:happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Damn, we really must do something about this R&B tumble.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Still left in my top 100 (in order of 2013 poll placement:

Beatles (my rating=5/2013 poll ranking=1)
Dylan (50/2)
Stones (11/3)
Bowie (86/5)
Springsteen (36/7)
Wonder (34/8)
Beach Boys (29/9)
Pink Floyd (35/10)
Led Zeppelin (37/11)
Who (12/14)
Hendrix (38/15)
Neil Young (52/17)
Elvis (83/20)
U2 (80/22)
Arcade Fire (80/24)
Michael Jackson (66/37)
Simon and Garfunkel (20/41)
Madonna (64/42)
Queen (61/54)

My least appreciated artists expected to place in the top 35:
Velvet Underground (642/12)
Nirvana (628/19)
Bjork (961/25)
Pixies (836/29)
Kanye (688/31)
Talking Heads (293/43)
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Eno with more votes than Steely Dan. How many folks that were listening in the 1970's bought Eno albums?
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

What are you missing about Bjork? We must change this. ;)
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

babydoll wrote:Damn, we really must do something about this R&B tumble.
This actually sparked an idea in me! I was wondering if we were at all interested in doing some genre-specific polls? I feel this would be both a perfect opportunity to reignite interest in certain acts on the forum, and possibly also allow those who are unfamiliar with certain genres to get acquainted with them.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

JimmyJazz wrote:
babydoll wrote:Damn, we really must do something about this R&B tumble.
This actually sparked an idea in me! I was wondering if we were at all interested in doing some genre-specific polls? I feel this would be both a perfect opportunity to reignite interest in certain acts on the forum, and possibly also allow those who are unfamiliar with certain genres to get acquainted with them.
Great idea.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I remember we tried to do it with hip-hop awhile back, but nothing ever came from that...
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Henry wrote:Eno with more votes than Steely Dan. How many folks that were listening in the 1970's bought Eno albums?
Only those born around 1960 or before were at record buying age during the heyday of Steely Dan and Brian Eno, so I think your question eliminated at least 90% of the forum. The rest of us have to listen to these acts retroactively, and, while not disparaging Steely Dan, there are few artists ever who have had a creative peak like Eno did in the 70s. His amazing run of solo albums is enough to deserve at least this spot, to say nothing of his significant contributions to Roxy Music, Talking Heads, U2, and David Bowie (all of which many music fans at the time were likely familiar with).

By the way, I can't believe Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) didn't make our top 500 albums last time! That album is remarkable, and IMO Eno's best.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Bang Jan wrote:
:happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:
And "notbrianeno" wasn't one of them!
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

JimmyJazz wrote:I remember we tried to do it with hip-hop awhile back, but nothing ever came from that...
And which I maintain we still should do. Make a poll running for a month and post results at the beginning of the next month. Simple as that.

And, Jackson, Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) did make the top 500 if I remember correctly.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

It's Björk vs. Madge for the top female artist! Who's going to take it?
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

Finally took the time to compare my list to the results.

So far, 24 of my artists look to have no chance of making it (though I think one may get in during the revamp, since I had him #10):

György Ligeti
Béla Bartók
Dmitri Shostakovich
Iannis Xenakis
Alfred Schnittke
John Adams
Olivier Messiaen
Georg Friedrich Haas
Gil Scott-Heron
Boredoms
Karlheinz Stockhausen
Art Ensemble of Chicago
Gal Costa
Lee Perry
John Zorn
Arvo Pärt
Blind Willie Johnson
Shiina Ringo
Milton Nascimento
Sergei Prokofiev
Mahalia Jackson
Alice Coltrane
Don Cherry
The Shangri-Las

The above is generally modern classical, free-ish jazz, or foreign music, so no big surprises they missed. I am a little shocked Gil Scott-Heron, Lee Perry, and The Shangri-Las didn't even make the 500.

22 of my list are in the Top 100, 17 from 101-200, 9 from 201-300, and 8 from 401-500. Very shocked by Charlie Parker and Thelonious Monk barely making it in, and also bummed (less shocked) by seeing all the Brazilian giants go down between 200 and 400 (Jorge Ben, Veloso, Os Mutantes, Jobim).

Looks like I have 20 remaining from the Top 35, lots of the usual suspects, but that's OK. Looks like Stevie Wonder is our last hope carrying the soul mantle.

JimmyJazz, thanks for running this!
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Jackson wrote:
Henry wrote:Eno with more votes than Steely Dan. How many folks that were listening in the 1970's bought Eno albums?
Only those born around 1960 or before were at record buying age during the heyday of Steely Dan and Brian Eno, so I think your question eliminated at least 90% of the forum. The rest of us have to listen to these acts retroactively, and, while not disparaging Steely Dan, there are few artists ever who have had a creative peak like Eno did in the 70s. His amazing run of solo albums is enough to deserve at least this spot, to say nothing of his significant contributions to Roxy Music, Talking Heads, U2, and David Bowie (all of which many music fans at the time were likely familiar with).

By the way, I can't believe Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) didn't make our top 500 albums last time! That album is remarkable, and IMO Eno's best.
Eno's creative peak was indeed impressive, especially to critics. But, among folks who were enjoying music contemporaneously with its release, I doubt that Eno's solo albums were widely listened to in the 70's; and outside those who focus on innovation and other rather esoteric aspects of musical pleasure, I doubt that Eno is widely listened to today either. Clearly fewer folks are listening to Steely Dan these days too. This is quite unfortunate in my view.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Jackson wrote:
Bang Jan wrote:
And "notbrianeno" wasn't one of them!
Hilarious observation!
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Poor Marvin Gaye...

Bjork is definitely going to beat Madonna, looking at forumers' enthusiasm.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Albums were a significant investment in the 1970's. I bought albums by neither artist. I did hear and enjoy Steely Dan's singles on the radio. Brain Eno was the guy from Roxy Music who made albums adored by the (often unreliable) music papers. Even John Peel played Eno only rarely.

This poll Is about personal preference not historical preference or significance. More recently, I have listened to most of the albums of both artists and now Brian Eno is at #48 on my list and Steely Dan not in the top 100. Our tastes are somewhat divergent however, as I have Bjork, Nick Cave & Talking Heads in my top 5 and Pixies in my top 10!!
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

35| The Kinks
844.1 points / 32 votes
[imgsize 400x284]http://static.stereogum.com/uploads/201 ... -Kinks.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 37
2008 Rank: 18
2010 Rank: 18
2013 Rank: 30
Gain from 2013 Poll:

The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society (69)
Something Else by The Kinks (123)
Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire) (445)

Waterloo Sunset (16)
You Really Got Me (82)
Lola (511)
Shangri-La (981)

Jackson (1)
Zombeels (1)

Miguel (9)
VanillaFire1000 (15)
spiritualized (15)
JimmyJazz (22)
Daniel (23)
Romain (25)
Otisredding (27)
Honorio (29)

34| Elvis Presley
866.1 points / 30 votes
[imgsize 400x484]http://www.thefashionisto.com/wp-conten ... Jacket.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 8
2008 Rank: 47
2010 Rank: 37
2013 Rank: 20
Gain from 2013 Poll:

Elvis Presley (404)

Heartbreak Hotel (125)
Suspicious Minds (148)
Jailhouse Rock (345)
Hound Dog (430)
Can’t Help Falling in Love (649)
That’s All Right (670)

jamieW (1)

Bruno (3)
profeta (9)
Dan (14)
stone37 (15)
Dexter (17)
Live In Phoenix (17)
whuntva (17)
vivian (18)
Honorio (21)
andy1010 (21)
bonnielaurel (23)
Daniel (25)
VanillaFire1000 (30)

33| Bob Marley (and the Wailers)
878.4 points / 30 votes
[imgsize 400x284]http://therawgallery.com/en/wp-content/ ... rley01.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 24
2008 Rank: 51
2010 Rank: 29
2013 Rank: 28
Gain from 2013 Poll:

Exodus (223)
Natty Dread (246)
Catch a Fire (298)
Live! (475)

No Woman No Cry (112)
Redemption Song (186)
Get Up, Stand Up (546)

Henrik (4)
Dexter (5)
TimmyWing (8)
PlasticRam (8)
spiritualized (10)
slick (11)
vivian (11)
whuntva (13)
Listyguy (16)
Dan (18)
ordinaryperson (24)
Live In Phoenix (29)

32| Pixies
891.5 points / 32 votes
[imgsize 400x284]http://d2118lkw40i39g.cloudfront.net/wp ... Pixies.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 43
2008 Rank: 16
2010 Rank: 23
2013 Rank: 29
Gain from 2013 Poll:

Doolittle (28)
Surfer Rosa (113)

Debaser (64)
Where Is My Mind? (92)
Monkey Gone to Heaven (106)
Here Comes Your Man (133)
Hey (434)
Wave of Mutilation (523)
Gouge Away (710)

spiritualized (4)
Toni (8)
DaveC (9)
Jirin (11)
BleuPanda (12)
Maschine_Man (13)
Michel (13)
Otisredding (16)
Honorio (20)
Craig (20)
JohnnyBGoode (21)
Jackson (22)
Nick (25)
slick (25)
luney6 (27)
DocBrown (27)
luvulongTIM (29)

31| Madonna
911.5 points / 29 votes
[imgsize 400x400]http://data.whicdn.com/images/96834/large.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 27
2008 Rank: 113
2010 Rank: 72
2013 Rank: 42
Gain from 2013 Poll:
+11

Like a Prayer (205)

Like a Prayer (257)
Into the Groove (404)
Ray of Light (538)
Live to Tell (829)
Like a Virgin (965)

Neil (1)

babydoll (3)
Moonbeam (6)
vivian (7)
jamieW (11)
Bruno (15)
Craig (16)
stone37 (20)
bonnielaurel (22)
Dan (22)
profeta (22)
Karla (22)
prosecutorgodot (23)
ordinaryperson (25)
Jeff (28)
Pierre (28)
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I'm very happy Elvis only dropped to #34. Honestly, without Bruce & friend voting this time, I expected him to plummet to the bottom half of the T100.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Neil, I knew it was Madonna that was your #1. And, holy shit, she has more fans than I thought she had here.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Very chuffed with Madonna placing so well. Her ranking almost matches that of the critics!

Still no Queen. They hadn't placed in our top 50 before, and now they'll be in our top 30.

At first I thought Prince had an outside shot at top 5, but with the fall of RnB, I am now just hoping he keeps a spot in the top 10.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Bork for Top 30! :music-guitarred:
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Next 5 could include:

Queen (2013 poll ranking=54/my ranking=61)
Talking Heads (43/293)
Simon and Garfunkel (41/20)
Michael Jackson (37/66)
Miles Davis (27/143)
The Cure (26/179)
Bjork (25/61)
U2 (22/63)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”