Singers and music of countries out of United States and England doesn't have the recognize that deserve.

Do you agree that are singers out USA and England underrated?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 16

mat.bez.lima
Let's Get It On

Singers and music of countries out of United States and England doesn't have the recognize that deserve.

Post by mat.bez.lima »

Out of United States and England there are many great singers and great albums that aren't much remembered out of the their countries origin, or when are remembered doesn't have the deserved ratings. I, being a brazilian, know great albums and artists of here that deserve much more world fame. Examples: Elis Regina, Tim Maia, Cauby Peixoto and Nelson Gonçalves. These singers have spectacular voices and unique styles, are much acclaimed here in Brazil, but doesn't have the same atention out of here. This is an injustice and who listened to them understand that I said. And there are others examples that I don't said. And Bossa Nova seems the only genre brazilian that have great attention out of Brazil. Also geniuses like Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, Chico Buarque, Zé Ramalho and others deserve much more attention.
User of RYM #507651
Romain
Happy Up Here

Re: Singers and music of countries out of United States and England doesn't have the recognize that deserve.

Post by Romain »

You know what, I have an Idear...why you don't begin a thread...hmmm... I don't know...for example something like "Brazil, one song per day" ;-)

It would be a good thing to expose the unknown or "underrated" Brazilian artist.

You will see, even if no one comes to talk to you, you will get full of anonymous visitors :mrgreen:

P.S. : but I have to say that this website is very openminded with this and Henrik, with the inclusion of a lot of non english lists make a great job.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Re: Singers and music of countries out of United States and England doesn't have the recognize that deserve.

Post by Pierre »

Classic discussion, there's been countless topics on this subject ever since I discovered this website, both on the ancient and new forums... mat.bez.lima, everyone will agree with you on this matter. I've discussed this so much that I don't even have something left to say :D
mat.bez.lima
Let's Get It On

Post by mat.bez.lima »

The song of today is "Águas de Março" of the album "Elis & Tom". Better: hear the whole album because it's wonderful, a masterpiece.
User of RYM #507651
mat.bez.lima
Let's Get It On

Post by mat.bez.lima »

I'm a brazilian an I will make suggestion of brazilian music some times in all weeks in this forum, but members of another coutries can use this forum to post great songs, albums and artist of his respective countries.
User of RYM #507651
mat.bez.lima
Let's Get It On

Post by mat.bez.lima »

All Music is a site that deserve many elogies because review many great albums of all genres and of many different countries
User of RYM #507651
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Songs from Ireland, Scotland and Wales :wink:
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

It's a shame you did not join a few months earlier mat.bez.lima. I hosted an entire game devoted to discovering music largely from non-English speaking countries and your participation would have been more than welcome. I hope you stick around for when we do it next.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Romain wrote:You know what, I have an Idear...why you don't begin a thread...hmmm... I don't know...for example something like "Brazil, one song per day" ;-)

It would be a good thing to expose the unknown or "underrated" Brazilian artist.

You will see, even if no one comes to talk to you, you will get full of anonymous visitors :mrgreen:

P.S. : but I have to say that this website is very openminded with this and Henrik, with the inclusion of a lot of non english lists make a great job.
I support this idea. mat.bez.lima use the format used by "France - one song per day" and start your own thread. I am definitely interested in checking out songs from Brazil, or even South America as a whole, that you can recommend. You already checked out the Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 100 Brazilian Songs list so maybe you can start with songs that you think were omitted by Rolling Stone and then add more songs thereafter.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I think you're pretty safe on this one, mat.bez.lima! I may be proven wrong, but I can't imagine anyone who's an AM regular voting "no." (If somebody does, though, I'd be interested in hearing the other side. Given the domination of U.S./England-based artists on the critics' lists, even those who don't particularly care for music outside of these two nations would still likely agree that it's underrepresented.)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Some of the trouble for me is that all the sources I've found that have similar taste to mine just don't review music not recorded in English. All my best non-English discoveries have been from BMAA.

The cross section of music that is not in English, not pop, and present on Spotify is extremely small and the resources to help me pre-filter are much more scarce.
mat.bez.lima
Let's Get It On

Post by mat.bez.lima »

Dexter wrote:
Romain wrote:You know what, I have an Idear...why you don't begin a thread...hmmm... I don't know...for example something like "Brazil, one song per day" ;-)

I support this idea. mat.bez.lima use the format used by "France - one song per day" and start your own thread. I am definitely interested in checking out songs from Brazil, or even South America as a whole, that you can recommend. You already checked out the Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 100 Brazilian Songs list so maybe you can start with songs that you think were omitted by Rolling Stone and then add more songs thereafter.
Thank you the suggestion. And this will be much good to all of you and to me also, because it is little time since that I begin to became envolved with music and I have much to learn about great artist of the world and even brazilians. I am beginning to search the great brazilian music for all of you and me. I can creat a specific topic about brazilian music. People of other nationalities can do the same. What do all of you think about this?
User of RYM #507651
mat.bez.lima
Let's Get It On

Post by mat.bez.lima »

This problem is not exclusive of music. Ex: Nelson Rodrigues is considered one of the greatest geniuses of brazilian literature and I even heard some people say that if Nelson Rodrigues had written his masterpieces in english, he would be mega famous in the world! Paulo Coelho is the brazlian writter most popular in the world, but he is much, much, much, much FAR to be the best of our literature.
User of RYM #507651

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”