What is the best singer of all time? (without Miles Davis)

What is the best singer of all time in popular music?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:14 am

Frank Sinatra
17%
Elvis Presley
6%
Freddie Mercury
17%
Tony Bennett
No votes
Stevie Wonder
11%
Michael Jackson
No votes
Billie Holiday
No votes
Ella Fitzgerald
No votes
Aretha Franklin
6%
Barbra Streisand
No votes
Whitney Houston
No votes
Mariah Carey
No votes
Christina Aguilera
No votes
Ray Charles
No votes
Johnny Hartman
No votes
Bing Crosby
No votes
James Brown
No votes
Louis Armstrong
No votes
Nat King Cole
No votes
Another singer
44%

Total votes: 18

mat.bez.lima
Let's Get It On

What is the best singer of all time? (without Miles Davis)

Post by mat.bez.lima »

I created a new topic about this because I commited a great error in my poll in my original topic and the majority of people joked in the votation. I was desinformed when I put Miles Davis, it was not a joke. I confess that I know little about music still. This poll will have 30 days.
User of RYM #507651
Pierre
Into the Groove

Re: What is the best singer of all time? (without Miles Davis)

Post by Pierre »

My favourite singers in popular music are, as stated in the other topic, Tim and Jeff Buckley, and, as stated into that same other topic, I'm generally more interested by the music than the vocals anyway.

As for who the best singer of all time is, I voted Another singer simply because I don't think it's possible to actually choose one. I think a lot of factors can be taken into account when judging a singer's performance. Actually, even Mark E. Smith can be perceived as a great singer for his particular approach, if you consider that vocal range and musicality are not the main criteria of evaluation for his own style. I'm not saying he is a great singer, mind you, just that his style is well suited to his artistic choices.

That said, someone explains to me what the heck is Christina Aguilera doing in the selection?
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

I forgot to mention Jim Morrison last time. Also: Judy Collins, Karen Carpenter, Alanis Morissette, and Billie Holiday even. And Grace Slick as well.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Pierre wrote: Actually, even Mark E. Smith can be perceived as a great singer for his particular approach, if you consider that vocal range and musicality are not the main criteria of evaluation for his own style. I'm not saying he is a great singer, mind you, just that his style is well suited to his artistic choices.
ROFL :) I love The Fall (#2 on my all-time artist list) , but Pierre, you would be the first person to imply (even though you're not really :) ) that Mark E Smith sings well - every time I make someone discover this band, it's unanimous : the bloke can't sing ! But that's what makes the charm of the Fall...
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

spiritualized wrote:
Pierre wrote: Actually, even Mark E. Smith can be perceived as a great singer for his particular approach, if you consider that vocal range and musicality are not the main criteria of evaluation for his own style. I'm not saying he is a great singer, mind you, just that his style is well suited to his artistic choices.
ROFL :) I love The Fall (#2 on my all-time artist list) , but Pierre, you would be the first person to imply (even though you're not really :) ) that Mark E Smith sings well - every time I make someone discover this band, it's unanimous : the bloke can't sing ! But that's what makes the charm of the Fall...
Yeah, of course, and I didn't actually say he sings well :D But indeed, his singing is part of what makes The Fall, and without him on vocals, it wouldn't be the same. That's why I say he's well suited for what he does ;)
Daniel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Daniel »

Kind of puzzled that you included Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston and Barbra Streisand, but did not include David Bowie, Robert Plant, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney or John Lennon.

Either way, I voted for Freddie Mercury, who I think is the best singer of all time.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

In terms of pure vocal ability, I would have to go with either Aretha Franklin, Jeff Buckley or Freddie Mercury. Buckley's probably my top choice...his vocal range was remarkable.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I bet the votes for "another singer" was for... Miles Davis!!! Kidding aside, I voted for Freddie Mercury. Mariah Carey and Christina Aguilera (and even Celine Dion) may register the higher notes but that does not make them great singers. Also, having a great voice is not limited to English-speaking singers, check out NPR's 50 greatest voices nominations:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =114013402
As can be read in the NPR nominations, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan and Tom Waits can't sing in the traditional sense but their distinctive voices splendidly brought to life the lyrics they wrote.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”