Moderately Acclaimed 3 (MA3) - Round 1.12

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed 3 (MA3) - Round 1.12

Post by Brad »

Round 1.12
Vote for your favorite in each matchup.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as they've heard both albums!
Deadline = May 28th 10am EST

1. Jackson Browne - Running On Empty vs. The Beta Band - The Three EP's
2. The Original Soundtrack - West Side Story vs. Tricky - Pre Millennium Tension
3. Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom vs. Ben Harper - Welcome to the Cruel World
4. The Watersons - Bright Phoebus vs. Polaris - Music From The Adventures of Pete & Pete

Get On The Good Foot!
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Moderately Acclaimed 3 (MA3) - Round 1.12

Post by Stephan »

Music From the Aventures of Pete & Pete was a very nice surprise; I suppose its nomination stems partially from nostalghia, but I've never seen the show and still really enjoyed it. Its competitor, Bright Phoebus, was actually not credited to The Watersons, but rather to Lal and Mike Waterson, which is pretty irrelevant other than the fact that the album is boring enough to make that the most interesting thing to say here. The Three E.P.'s is really way too long, perhaps due to being a compilation, and is thus a little overrated in my opinion. Dry The Rain is phenomenal but the rest doesn't match up; get the first (and perhaps the third) EP instead.

1. Polaris - Music From The Adventures of Pete & Pete
2. Jackson Browne - Running On Empty
3. Tricky - Pre Millennium Tension
4. The Beta Band - The Three E.P.'s
5. Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom
67. Ben Harper - Welcome to the Cruel World
76. Lal and Mike Waterson - Bright Phoebus
8. The Original Soundtrack - West Side Story
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Jackson Browne - Running On Empty 7/10
The Beta Band - The Three EPs 7/10

I have trouble connecting with Jackson Browne. I like his songs when other people perform them, but there's something about his chord progressions and his backing vocals that sound plushy, like the song itself is wearing a sweater. But, I love it whenever the solos kick in.

Beta Band is the opposite, they're emotionally more interesting but don't have a lot going for them instrumentally, and they've got that 90's indie 'Trying too hard to sound like they're not trying' feel. They edge my vote because they get stronger as the album goes on.

12/2

West Side Story (Not my bag)
Tricky - Pre-Millennium Tension 7/10

I'm not going to say West Side Story's soundtrack is terrible, because it's legendary for the culture it comes from. But I hated it. It's not for me.

Nothing sounds quite like Tricky. It's like Maxinquaye with less variety.

12/3

Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom 5/10
Ben Harper - Welcome To The Cruel World 8/10

Ben Harper wasn't on my radar at all before this game, and both of his albums in this game were 8s on the verges of 9. I'm definitely convinced he's worth exploring further.

12/4

The Watersons - Bright Phoebus (#30 AT)
Polaris - Music For Pete & Pete 7/10

Bright Phoebus is my favorite album in the game by far. I started looking for it when Night Of The Pelican debuted in Unacclaimed. The difficulty I had finding it made me want it even more. It's very oddball folk, but some of the songs are so beautifully melodic and emotional I can't resist it.

Polaris surprised me. I was biased against it because of a connection to a kids' TV show that I used to love. But, it's a nice tidy collection of well written rock songs.

Stephan, I'm a little baffled by your reaction to Bright Phoebus. I thought people would vote against it for the same reason some people are off-put by Tim Buckley, not because it was 'Boring'. I suppose it is the exact opposite of the things you give 5/5, so it's not your bag, but you don't have more of a reaction to it than 'Meh'?
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

It's been a while since I listened to it, and I certainly didn't dislike it, but my reaction (and the comment, which I wrote immediately after listening to it) may have been exacerbated by my disappointment. I, too, loved Flight of the Pelican and, to a lesser extent, the album it's on, Once in a Blue Moon, so my expectations were high when this album showed up in the tournament and it didn't live up to those expectations. I will give it another spin, and perhaps it deserves a little more than a 'meh' and seventh place of the week, but I don't think it'll beat Music for Pete & Pete.

Edit: Just listened to the album again, and you're right, boring is not exactly the right word. It is a little too much of the same, and I find Lal's voice a little off-putting on this record, whereas it sounds fantastic on Once in a Blue Moon. Finally, it's a little too much silly-Beatlesque, which, like you say, is just not my cup of tea.
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

1. Jackson Browne - Running On Empty vs. The Beta Band - The Three EP's

I liked both of these quite a bit, but I found Jackson Browne to be more consistent. The Beta Band has some good stuff, but they lose me somewhere around the sixth or seventh minute of 'The Monolith."
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

1. Jackson Browne - Running On Empty wins over The Beta Band - The Three EP's

The Beta Band effort is enjoyable enough but I didn't find any standout songs and don't think I'll listen again to The Three EP's with particular enthusiasm.

Running on Empty is not as consistently good as some of Browne's other efforts, but there is plenty to like about this album including: The Load-Out / Stay (438), Running On Empty (664), Love Needs A Heart (2200), Rosie (2236), You Love the Thunder (2293), and Shaky Town (@3700)
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

I’m enjoying a lot this MA3 game, even if I didn't participate in the nominations part. Every weekend the same ritual, I open three windows (one for Wikipedia, other for Allmusic and another one for Rate Your Music) and I listen every album on Spotify or Grooveshark while I read the comments on these three sites. Thanks boys for these pleasant moments and for discovering me so many good music.
This week votes:
1. Jackson Browne – Running on Empty
2. Original Motion Picture Soundtrack – West Side Story
3. Soul Coughing – Ruby Vroom (discovery of the week for me)
4. Lal & Mike Waterson – Bright Phoebus
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks:

1. The Beta Band - The Three EP's over Jackson Browne - Running On Empty
Though my favorite track on either album comes from Jackson Browne (title track) and my least favorite from Beta Band ("The Monolith" - I'm all for experimentation, but much this strikes me as pointless), I'm taking Beta Band based on the overall apeal of the rest of the music.
2. The Original Soundtrack - West Side Story over Tricky - Pre Millennium Tension
I grew up listening to West Side Story via my parents. My faves are "Officer Krupke" and "America" but the more commercial tracks also stand up fairly well after half a century. I like Tricky as well.
3. Ben Harper - Welcome to the Cruel World over Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom
Not a big fan of either offering here, but I just can't appreciate Soul Coughing. Not really sure what I'm missing with this.
4. Polaris - Music From The Adventures of Pete & Pete over The Watersons - Bright Phoebus
Tough choice - like both. I went with my pop instinct over the deeper roots-folk sound of the Watersons.

Thanks!
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

2. The Original Soundtrack - West Side Story vs. Tricky - Pre Millennium Tension

Leonard Bernstein always had a bit of an inferiority complex that nothing he ever wrote could be compared to the giants of the German symphonic tradition. But I think that his West Side Story music is just as compelling and occasionally transcendent, even if it uses a completely different tonal language. Bernstein attempted grandiosity at times with works like "Chichester Psalms," but his true talent lay in adopting modern American sounds for concert orchestra (Candide, in my opinion his true masterpiece, does the same thing). Credit also goes to Stephen Sondheim, who orchestrated most of Bernstein's tunes.

Tricky is fine but nothing special for me. Trip-hop is one of those genres that really appeals to me on paper, but falls flat whenever I listen to it (Portishead being the only exception).
VanillaFire1000
Let's Get It On

Post by VanillaFire1000 »

1. Jackson Browne - Running On Empty

I was pleasantly surprised by this album, one which I have never heard before (besides hearing bits and peieces through general cultural absorption. Pretty good roots/americana rock album. Probably on the Mellencamp level of this genre through. I have heard the Three EPs enough to know that I'm not that big a fan of it. I enjoy the mellowness of it though.

2. The Original Soundtrack - West Side Story

Gotta go with the classic of Broadway. Tricky has always been "meh" for me, and going deeper in his catalogue has yet to prove me wrong.

3. Ben Harper - Welcome to the Cruel World

Not really liking these two, but Soul Coughing sounds extremely dated to its era, while Ben Harper only sounds kinda dated to its era.

4. Polaris - Music From The Adventures of Pete & Pete

I agree with Jirin's opinion on Bright Phoebus's stengths (oddball-folk is a soft spot for me) but I I will go with my own pick. I didn't choose this album just for pure nostalgia (though I do love the show) but I personally put this album in my top 10. Just great indie rock.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

Love this unique album, I've know it since the seventies. Saw him live, performing big parts of it in 1981/2 Werchter. All the songs connect: they were all recorded live on the road. Highlights are the title track, "The Road", "Rosie", "Nothing but time" (recorded in the bus while driving) and "The Load Out/Stay". One of the things I like about this record is the sound, of the vocals and instruments both, probably because it's a live record.

The Beta Band - The Three EP's
Dry the Rain is excellent, rest more than ok. Like the rhythms. It's very laid back.

Not for me, thanks.

Tricky - Pre Millennium Tension
just ok Tricky record.

3. Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom
This is ok. Never heard the album, but the guitar is excellent, percussion also, upright bass sounds very warm, nice samples;

Ben Harper - Welcome to the Cruel World
I'm not a Ben Harper fan.

4. Don't like either of them, so I'll pass
The Watersons - Bright Phoebus
Polaris - Music From The Adventures of Pete & Pete
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

A huge classic.
3. Ben Harper - Welcome to the Cruel World
4. Pass
Michel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Michel »

1. The Beta Band - The Three EP's
2. Tricky - Pre Millennium Tension
3. Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sorry, but that's all from me this week.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

about 12 hours left...
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Winners:
1. Jackson Browne - Running On Empty over The Beta Band - The Three EP's 7-3
2. The Original Soundtrack - West Side Story over Tricky - Pre Millennium Tension 6-4
3. Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom vs. Ben Harper - Welcome to the Cruel World 4-4 ***TIE - NEXT VOTE WINS!!!***
4. Polaris - Music From The Adventures of Pete & Pete over Lal & Mike Waterson - Bright Phoebus 3-2

This being Memorial Day here in the states, I don't have my immediate access to the bracket, so there may be a slight delay in getting 1.13 up. Hold tight!

Next vote wins in the Ruby Vroom vs. Welcome To The Cruel World matchup!
Evan
Strange Fruit

Post by Evan »

I'll break the tie by voting for Ruby Vroom. Much more compelling album to my ears.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom takes it!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”