Full of Fire

R.I.P. George Michael (1963-2016)

Post by Bang Jan »

"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Re: R.I.P. George Michael (1963-2016)

Post by Moonbeam »

Didn't need another kick in the gut in a truly, horrifyingly bad year. But we got one. On Christmas.

Thank you for sharing your brilliant light with the world, George.
Last edited by Moonbeam on Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Oh, this is terrible news! I was becoming a bigger and bigger fan. I'm going to listen to "Older" tomorrow. A very underrated album.

Yes, thank you George.

Please please please 2017 be better!!!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Henrik wrote:Oh, this is terrible news! I was becoming a bigger and bigger fan. I'm going to listen to "Older" tomorrow. A very underrated album.

Yes, thank you George.

Please please please 2017 be better!!!
I haven't actually heard that album. Will give it a spotify listen. Listen Without Prejudice is my favorite.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sadness
In my eyes
No one guessed
Or no one tried
You smiled at me
Like Jesus to a child

Loveless and cold
With your last breath
You saved my soul
You smiled at me
Like Jesus to a child
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

As if 2016 wasn't already satisfied with all of the pop legends it's taken away from us :(
Last edited by notbrianeno on Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

"Last Christmas" now has a whole new meaning.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Even more sad news (and another unexpected loss of someone so young). Moonbeam and Henrik already posted two of my favorites from his post-Wham! days. But for me, it will always be "Careless Whisper." (If I remember right, a song he wrote when he was just 16.) I was only 13 when I first heard it, and it became one of my top 5 songs of the year. (Yes, I was making lists even then.) Unfortunately, there isn't much chance of 2017 being better from a worldwide political standpoint; but it will hopefully spare us the pain we've had to endure this year from the loss of so many legendary musicians, many of which (including George, David, Prince and Leonard) were advocates of the type of social justice we're so sorely lacking right now.

Thank you, George. And, with only a week left in the dreadful 2016, I'll optimistically say thank you to all the artists we've lost in 2016, because I'm sure praying we don't need to meet like this again any more this year.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

jamieW wrote:Even more sad news (and another unexpected loss of someone so young). Moonbeam and Henrik already posted two of my favorites from his post-Wham! days. But for me, it will always be "Careless Whisper." (If I remember right, a song he wrote when he was just 16.) I was only 13 when I first heard it, and it became one of my top 5 songs of the year. (Yes, I was making lists even then.) Unfortunately, there isn't much chance of 2017 being better from a worldwide political standpoint; but it will hopefully spare us the pain we've had to endure this year from the loss of so many legendary musicians, many of which (including George, David, Prince and Leonard) were advocates of the type of social justice we're so sorely lacking right now.

Thank you, George. And, with only a week left in the dreadful 2016, I'll optimistically say thank you to all the artists we've lost in 2016, because I'm sure praying we don't need to meet like this again any more this year.
I love "Careless Whisper" as well - he has so many amazing songs.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

People don't just die at 53....rest in peace George

This also brings back memories of Christmas 10 years ago when James Brown died. I didn't know his music yet, but I remember hearing the news.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

R.I.P. George... Decidedly, 2016 can't end too soon.
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

He was one of my all-time favorites. Great vocalist, arranger, songwriter, and producer. His first two solo albums were among the best albums released in that five-year span. Because he was a pop singer (and had many dance hits), because he was so popular, and probably because he was exceedingly handsome, he never really got the respect he craved and deserved. It annoys me to no end that artists like George Michael and Janet Jackson (two of the biggest and best pop singers of all time) have not gotten into the rock and roll hall of fame. Maybe he'll get in posthumously like Donna Summer did, but then again Whitney, the single biggest influence, for better or worse, on female pop music vocals since 1980, has not gotten in since her untimely demise.

As someone who grew up in the 1980s listening to Top 40 radio in the United States, it is hard for me to believe that four of the five biggest solo artists of that decade have already died: Jackson, Prince, Houston, Michael. Only Madonna remains.
Last edited by stone37 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

My favorite song by him is One More Try, in which he sings about a "teacher". This probably meant someone more experienced who introduced him into an early relationship. "And teacher, there are things that I don't want to learn." Unique, soulful voice. I still like Wham!'s second album Make It Big as well, especially for the funky Everything She Wants. I knew They Won't Go Where I Go in his version first. His second solo album was called Listen Without Prejudice - a very good advice for anyone interested in music.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

What a sad news.

One of my favorite pop singers, amazing voice.

"Listen Without Prejudice" and "Faith" are great albums. "Older" is good too.

=(((
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

stone37 wrote:It annoys me to no end that artists like Michael and Janet Jackson (two of the biggest and best pop singers of all time) have not gotten into the rock and roll hall of fame. Maybe he'll get in posthumously like Donna Summer did, but then again Whitney, the single biggest influence, for better or worse, on female pop music vocals since 1980, has not gotten in since her untimely.
MJ is apparently in twice. With the exception of super no-brainers, I don't feel that the HOF has even especially come to terms with the Eighties (the Eighties!). Sad to hear about George Michael, I've never followed him a whole lot, but he seems (along with Whitney and Janet) at least on par with recent HOF additions. If the HOF wants the public to think of them as a big deal, they've always struck me by their choices as classic rock old white dudes and could really stand to diversify themselves.

Totally unrelated, but I was hoping that topic #2112 could be about Rush.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

George Michael was a big part of my 80's (I was a school boy then) since he was all over the radio then, he's even bigger than Prince in my part of the globe. Anyway, R.I.P. George and since he's most likely will not be a subject of a poll here's my top 10 songs and top 5 albums of George Michael.

Songs
1. Careless Whisper [Wham!]
2. Faith
3. Freedom '90
4. Last Christmas [Wham!]
5. Father Figure
6. Jesus to a Child
7. One More Try
8. Everything She Wants [Wham!]
9. Praying for Time
10. I'm Your Man [Wham!]

Albums
1. Faith
2. Make It Big! [Wham!]
3. Listen Without Prejudice, Vol. 1
4. Older
5. Music from the Edge of Heaven [Wham!]
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Big fan of George Michael's. Loved his music and his admiration for the artists that came before him. Father Figure will always be my favorite song of his. RIP George you will be missed.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

My top 10 songs:

1. Father Figure
2. Praying for Time
3. One More Try
4. Careless Whisper
5. Freedom '90
6. Fastlove
7. Too Funky
8. They Won't Go When I Go
9. Waiting for That Day
10. Hard Day
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Not a particular hero of mine (I still haven't been able to enjoy 80's pop all that much, even though the rest of the world seems to have made a 180 degree turnaround on it in the last few years), but there are certainly songs of him I enjoy, especially Careless Whisper and Faith.

He certainly died to young. Rest in peace.
Last edited by Rob on Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Oh no. He was an iconic performer from the 80s and beyond, and probably the first famous person I had a crush on as a boy in the late 80s / early 90s. :cry:

5 classic George Michael songs that will stay with me for the rest of my life:

1. Kissing a Fool
These lyrics helped me tremendously as a teenager: "You listened to people who scared you to death and from my heart... You'll never find peace of mind 'til you listen to your heart"

2. Faith
3. Too Funky
4. Freedom '90
5. Careless Whisper

Big sigh.
...will keep us together.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I don't understand how you can "die peacefully" at the age of 53. Yes you can be content, but... you know what I mean.

Dying on Christmas Day... it is just as poetic as Bowie's death at the beginning of the year.

My dad is a huge fan of George, his favorite artist next to Madonna and Freddie Mercury. I only ever got into his Wham! material, which I love. Make It Big is a great 80s pop album. "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" and "Last Christmas" are my favorite songs of his.
stone37
Different Class

Post by stone37 »

Live in Phoenix wrote:
stone37 wrote:It annoys me to no end that artists like Michael and Janet Jackson (two of the biggest and best pop singers of all time) have not gotten into the rock and roll hall of fame. Maybe he'll get in posthumously like Donna Summer did, but then again Whitney, the single biggest influence, for better or worse, on female pop music vocals since 1980, has not gotten in since her untimely.
MJ is apparently in twice. With the exception of super no-brainers, I don't feel that the HOF has even especially come to terms with the Eighties (the Eighties!). Sad to hear about George Michael, I've never followed him a whole lot, but he seems (along with Whitney and Janet) at least on par with recent HOF additions. If the HOF wants the public to think of them as a big deal, they've always struck me by their choices as classic rock old white dudes and could really stand to diversify themselves.

Totally unrelated, but I was hoping that topic #2112 could be about Rush.
By "Michael," I meant George Michael. But that was bad writing on my part. The 1980s have been underserved to say the least by the HOF. And not just in terms of pop. Even seminal guitar-based groups like the Cure and the Smiths have been passed over. To my mind, Depeche Mode, Smiths, the Cure, Pet Shop Boys, George Michael, Janet, and Whitney are all easy calls and more deserving than 20% or more of HOF inductees.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

prosecutorgodot wrote:I don't understand how you can "die peacefully" at the age of 53. Yes you can be content, but... you know what I mean.
Like with the guy who's my avatar, I bet there's a bit more story to come out. It seems like George went out a little more peacefully, at least.

I agree, stone37 (being an '80s child). A more Pitchfork-type demographic would have let in most or all of them a long time ago.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

He had a lot of hits (even U.S. hits) that I didn't know about. This is my favorite that I've come across, one to remember for the 2004 poll:
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Well, this is less dramatic than I figured -- natural causes (heart disease and fatty liver).

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... es-w470745
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Live in Phoenix wrote:Well, this is less dramatic than I figured -- natural causes (heart disease and fatty liver).

Still hard to call them "natural causes" when he was only 53 (same age that Jim Henson died...damn...). I felt extremely guilty when I heard the news because I never was much of a fan of Wham!, but his solo career is awesome. Especially "Faith" and "Freedom '90." The former is a song that I somehow know by heart.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

StevieFan13 wrote:
Live in Phoenix wrote:Well, this is less dramatic than I figured -- natural causes (heart disease and fatty liver).

Still hard to call them "natural causes" when he was only 53 (same age that Jim Henson died...damn...). I felt extremely guilty when I heard the news because I never was much of a fan of Wham!, but his solo career is awesome. Especially "Faith" and "Freedom '90." The former is a song that I somehow know by heart.
I was a rather casual fan of either career, so I was surprised how bummed I was when he died. This year it's felt like whatever random inclinations I had to listen to his music have gathered together all at once.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”