When will the 2017 update come?

Henrik
Site Admin

Re: When will the 2017 update come?

Post by Henrik »

Here's the situation. I worked really hard and made some major progress two weekends ago. But after that (because of that) I've had a terrible headache and there's still work to be done, so I don't want to give a new estimate yet.

My body screams that I should have less screen time on my spare time, but even if I'm saying that there's still work to be done, it's nothing compared to the time I have invested in this update (the 10,000 songs list and the new site design) so far. So I'm definitely going to complete this work, I just can't say when (yet) and I completely understand that you are eager for the update but pushing me doesn't help.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

What's important is that you do what's best for your body, Henrik. We all appreciate the work you do tremendously, and it's definitely good news to hear that the update is looking good. But you rest as much as you need.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
DadHasADD
Only Sixteen

Post by DadHasADD »

I totally agree with StevieFan13. Until the update is done, the unofficial 2016 lists, the AM EOY lists, and the Mega Critic lists are enough to give me my music fix. Take care of yourself, Henrik and thank you for all the hard work you've already put into this site.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

I'm happy to wait another year if needed, as long as Henrik doesn't overdo it. Stay healthy Henrik :-)
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Henrik wrote:Here's the situation. I worked really hard and made some major progress two weekends ago. But after that (because of that) I've had a terrible headache and there's still work to be done, so I don't want to give a new estimate yet.

My body screams that I should have less screen time on my spare time, but even if I'm saying that there's still work to be done, it's nothing compared to the time I have invested in this update (the 10,000 songs list and the new site design) so far. So I'm definitely going to complete this work, I just can't say when (yet) and I completely understand that you are eager for the update but pushing me doesn't help.
Henrik, I realize this is your site and a labor of love, but have you considered delegating work to some of the more trusted members of the board? No one wants you to run yourself down for the update, and I'm sure some of the users would be willing to help.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Jonathon wrote:
Henrik wrote:Here's the situation. I worked really hard and made some major progress two weekends ago. But after that (because of that) I've had a terrible headache and there's still work to be done, so I don't want to give a new estimate yet.

Henrik, I realize this is your site and a labor of love, but have you considered delegating work to some of the more trusted members of the board? No one wants you to run yourself down for the update, and I'm sure some of the users would be willing to help.
I am getting a lot of help already, but there's a lot of work that I find difficult to delegate.

Right now I'm asking for help here (make sure you read the posts that follow as well).
Huangal70
Wannabe

Post by Huangal70 »

Sorry if its rude to carry on asking, but is there are we looking any further to a new estimate on when the update will come?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

It feels possible to make the update happen before the end of October. But this is not a promise.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Henrik wrote:It feels possible to make the update happen before the end of October. But this is not a promise.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
jbirt92
Superunknown

Post by jbirt92 »

Any idea if it is still possible the update will happen before the end of October?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

jbirt92 wrote:Any idea if it is still possible the update will happen before the end of October?
Can we PLEASE have a moratorium on these inquiries? Henrik's last post on the matter seemed clear enough, and it is only October 10, people. I realize that - as a very wise and recently departed artist once said - the waiting is the hardest part, but let's just try to last the rest of the month, shall we?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote:
jbirt92 wrote:Any idea if it is still possible the update will happen before the end of October?
Can we PLEASE have a moratorium on these inquiries? Henrik's last post on the matter seemed clear enough, and it is only October 10, people. I realize that - as a very wise and recently departed artist once said - the waiting is the hardest part, but let's just try to last the rest of the month, shall we?
Agreed! This forum isn't all about the site itself, after all.
mowino
Let's Get It On

Post by mowino »

Would you constantly keep asking Kendrick Lamar when his album is out? NO!

Let Henrik do his work
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

mowino wrote:Would you constantly keep asking Kendrick Lamar when his album is out? NO!

Let Henrik do his work
I agree about Henrik, but in case of Lamar it's about time he got off his lazy ass and release a new album already! We only had one this year so far :(
jbirt92
Superunknown

Post by jbirt92 »

Sorry if I upset everyone I'm just new here and wasn't sure how it all worked.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

jbirt92 wrote:Sorry if I upset everyone I'm just new here and wasn't sure how it all worked.
Actually, Henrik's health isn't optimal and the update involves a huge amount of work. Therefore, patience is the wisest course of action :)
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

Amen. The update will come when it comes. We all appreciate- as we should- the amount of work and dedication Henrik (and others) put into the site.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I am actually much less optimistic about October now. I have been travelling in my job and not had much time at all to work on the update since I said the end of October was possible. I have also booked a family holiday from October 29.

On top of this I discovered today that my statistical program suddenly doesn't read data from Excel the way it used to do. I don't know if it's because of a Windows Update, a changed setting in the statistical program, or whatever... :(
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote:I am actually much less optimistic about October now. I have been travelling in my job and not had much time at all to work on the update since I said the end of October was possible. I have also booked a family holiday from October 29.

On top of this I discovered today that my statistical program suddenly doesn't read data from Excel the way it used to do. I don't know if it's because of a Windows Update, a changed setting in the statistical program, or whatever... :(
Don't worry, my friend. The statistical program is a known one? Maybe I could find something about it
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I have a really old version of a wellknown program (updates are really expensive). I'm working on a workaround.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote:I have a really old version of a wellknown program (updates are really expensive). I'm working on a workaround.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... l_packages
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

panam wrote:
Henrik wrote:I have a really old version of a wellknown program (updates are really expensive). I'm working on a workaround.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... l_packages
Thanks panam, but I'm not looking into other programs. It would take ages to migrate all the code I have written over the years into another program. You wouldn't believe all the "adjustments" I have built in - it's as far from a straightforward sum of points you can get.

With workaround I meant another way to read the Excel data. It's possible.
ArcadeFire
Wannabe

Post by ArcadeFire »

Henrik,

Just curious, would it be easier to just push out another unofficial update via spreadsheets? Would give some time to perfect a big site update overhaul and maybe pacify some of the more anxious people :) I'm not stressing it either way, just wondering what's easiest for you.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

ArcadeFire wrote:Henrik,

Just curious, would it be easier to just push out another unofficial update via spreadsheets? Would give some time to perfect a big site update overhaul and maybe pacify some of the more anxious people :) I'm not stressing it either way, just wondering what's easiest for you.
Even if it doesn't happen during October, the update isn't that far away, so that doesn't make sense now.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Henrik, how much of a deviation is the next update from the 2016 unofficial update? Sometimes updates are drastically different, sometimes they've been slight modifications. Obviously the song list is changing up, but how much are album rankings and artist rankings changing up as a whole?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Jonathon, here's an answer I gave kargetina earlier in this thread.
Henrik wrote:The update will basically be about songs. If an update of the albums list is what you're waiting for, then I'm afraid I haven't got that much news for you. The only lists I have added since the unofficial update are the EOY 2016 lists and Pitchfork's '60s list. However, I have changed the algorithm a bit, so there are still some changes.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I made a lot of progress again this weekend and for a while there seemed to be a slim chance to make the update before I go on a weeklong holiday to Turkey on Sunday. But then I saw that there are a couple of pages in the report errors topic that I have missed to handle :-| which definitely makes an update this week impossible, as there's some other things left to do as well and I won't have much time to do any work during the evenings.

On the other hand, I'm pretty confident that I will make the update around a week after I get back from Turkey (that's approximately Nov. 12th). I had a great time this weekend, seeing the new website taking shape. However, as the error corrections will most likely affect the ranking, I still don't have a final ranking.
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

Henrik wrote:I made a lot of progress again this weekend and for a while there seemed to be a slim chance to make the update before I go on a weeklong holiday to Turkey on Sunday. But then I saw that there are a couple of pages in the report errors topic that I have missed to handle :-| which definitely makes an update this week impossible, as there's some other things left to do as well and I won't have much time to do any work during the evenings.

On the other hand, I'm pretty confident that I will make the update around a week after I get back from Turkey (that's approximately Nov. 12th). I had a great time this weekend, seeing the new website taking shape. However, as the error corrections will most likely affect the ranking, I still don't have a final ranking.
Great news! Thanks for all your hard work, and enjoy your holiday.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

veganvalentine wrote:
Henrik wrote:I made a lot of progress again this weekend and for a while there seemed to be a slim chance to make the update before I go on a weeklong holiday to Turkey on Sunday. But then I saw that there are a couple of pages in the report errors topic that I have missed to handle :-| which definitely makes an update this week impossible, as there's some other things left to do as well and I won't have much time to do any work during the evenings.

Great news! Thanks for all your hard work, and enjoy your holiday.
I agree!
kargetina
The Only Way Is Up

Post by kargetina »

Considering how close we are to the update, a week or two is not very important.

Have a great holiday, we'll still be here when you come back. :greetings-waveyellow: :mrgreen: :music-rockon:
mowino
Let's Get It On

Post by mowino »

Monte
Let's Get It On

Post by Monte »

I prefer the update in december, better timing.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

filmman wrote:I prefer the update in december, better timing.
Considering that it's been over two years since the last full update, I think most of us would prefer the update as soon as Henrik thinks it's ready. Also, I hope you realize that this update will not include anything from 2017.
acr0320
Are You Experienced?

Post by acr0320 »

What years will be covered in this update? Will it go all the way through 2016?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

acr0320 wrote:What years will be covered in this update? Will it go all the way through 2016?
Yep! No 2017 stuff.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Error and rating changes threads are closed; am I allowed to start getting excited now?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

BleuPanda wrote:Error and rating changes threads are closed; am I allowed to start getting excited now?
Way ahead of you. Who’s providing champagne?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

My palms are sweaty
Knees weak
Laptop's heavy
Henrik's gonna update AM already
Mom's spaghetti
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

You can let the F5 button rest a few days. This is still effective...
Henrik wrote:On the other hand, I'm pretty confident that I will make the update around a week after I get back from Turkey (that's approximately Nov. 12th).
If it will be before the 12th, it won't be long.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

"Il n'est pas de plaisir plus doux que de faire des heureux."
There is no sweeter pleasure than to make people happy!

I wish you a lot of pleasure :-)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Henrik wrote:You can let the F5 button rest a few days. This is still effective...
Henrik wrote:On the other hand, I'm pretty confident that I will make the update around a week after I get back from Turkey (that's approximately Nov. 12th).
If it will be before the 12th, it won't be long.
Oh, I know; but that's a really short amount of time in the grand scheme of things!
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Nick wrote:My palms are sweaty
Knees weak
Laptop's heavy
Mom's spaghetti
How can we move a post to some kind of Hall of Fame or Best Of thread ?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Nassim wrote:
Knees weak
Laptop's heavy
Mom's spaghetti
Another forum I go to has a yearbook for the funniest or smartest comments every year. I wish we had one of those.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Nassim wrote:
Knees weak
Laptop's heavy
Mom's spaghetti
Another forum I go to has a yearbook for the funniest or smartest comments every year. I wish we had one of those.
I figure it's never too late to start!
mowino
Let's Get It On

Post by mowino »

Hopefully Kanye West - 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' remains #1 this decade.

Kendrick will probably end up w/ the #1 artist of the 2010s once DAMN is registered.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

We’re so close!!!!
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Oh my GoD!!! SO CLOSE!!!
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Sunday? :o :music-guitarred:
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Bruno wrote:Sunday? :o :music-guitarred:
I'm hoping for Saturday, but yeah, it very well could be Sunday.

The perks of being 6 hours behind Henrik mean that I could conceivably wake up at an AM update.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”