Moderately Acclaimed Albums 8 - Round 1.14

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 8 - Round 1.14

Post by Brad »

Welcome to Round 1.14 of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 8!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = June 13th at 10am EST.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?t ... Albums%208

Match-ups:
1. Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out vs. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
2. Django Django - Django Django vs. Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
3. Avey Tare and Panda Bear - Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished vs. Leonard Cohen - Live Songs
4. Astor Piazzolla - Libertango vs. Autechre - Confield

Also, we have a TIE from the last round:
Grinderman - Grinderman vs. Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun ***TIE! 7-7 Next vote from someone who has not already voted in this match-up wins!***

Legalize It!
Last edited by Brad on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 8 - Round 1.14

Post by Romain »

1. Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out
2. Django Django - Django Django
Fuck fot this one, two of my favourite albms of the game. Sorry Lana.
3. Avey Tare and Panda Bear - Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished
4. Astor Piazzolla - LIbertango
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Won't have time to vote in the other matchups, but Born to Die is in my all-time top 100, so it gets my vote.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

2. Django Django - Django Django
3. Leonard Cohen - Live Songs
4. Astor Piazzolla - Libertango
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Since all but one of my nominations have been eliminated, I'll throw my support behind Dig Me Out for the remainder of the tournament. Hope it gets past this round.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

1. Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out (1997) vs. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me (2010)

2. Django Django - Django Django (2012) vs. Lana Del Rey - Born to Die (2012)

3. Avey Tare and Panda Bear - Spirit They're Gone Spirit They've Vanished (2000) vs. Leonard Cohen - Live Songs (1973)

4. Astor Piazzolla - Libertango (1974) vs. Autechre - Confield (2001)

Favourite song from every album:
One More Hour | Good Intentions Paving Co. | Hail Bop | Video Games | Penny Dreadfuls | Please Don't Pass Me By (A Disgrace) | Libertango | Eidetic Casein

Favourite song of the week: Libertango
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Have One On Me

2 | Sleater-Kinney | Dig Me Out
1 | Joanna Newsom | Have One On Me

7 | Django Django | Django Django
8 | Lana Del Rey | Born to Die

3 | Avey Tare and Panda Bear | Spirit They're Gone Spirit They've Vanished
4 | Leonard Cohen | Live Songs

5 | Astor Piazzolla | Libertango
6 | Autechre | Confield

Favourite song of the week: Joanna Newsom | Good Intentions Paving Company
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
Leonard Cohen - Live Songs
Astor Piazzolla - Libertango

Favorite album I couldn't vote for: Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Video Games is great and a couple of other tracks are really good, but overall Born to Die is a shadow of Ultraviolence.

3. Avey Tare and Panda Bear - Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished vs. Leonard Cohen - Live Songs
Why didn't you put it on your best of 2000 list Dave? I only listened to it once, and I didn't even listen to the second half of Alvin Row. You regret that now don't you? Yes.

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Dig Me Out 90 - Have One On Me 88
Django Django 77 - Born To Die 55
Spirit They've Gone Spirit They've Vanished 78 - Live Songs 74
Libertango 87 - Confield 82

I went to bar trivia yesterday. Sleater-Kinney and Lana Del Rey were both answers to questions.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out (9.0)
Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me (8.5)
Django Django - Django Django (8.25)
Autechre - Confield (8.25)
Astor Piazzolla - Libertango (8.25)
Avey Tare and Panda Bear - Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished (7.5)
Lana Del Rey - Born to Die (7.25)
Leonard Cohen - Live Songs (6.75)
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
Leonard Cohen - Live Songs[/b]
Astor Piazzolla - Libertango
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I feel like that
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

4. Libertango
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

1. Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out (4.5) vs. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me (1.0)
Let's be blunt. I absolutely hated Have One On Me. Far too long, Newsom's songs are sprawling affairs whose melodies I just couldn't get. Somewhere in between Joan Baez and Kate Bush, she lacks their immediacy in her songs. Moving on.

2. Django Django - Django Django (4.5)vs.Lana Del Rey - Born to Die (3.5)
Two albums I already listened to with a clear advantage to Django's indie pop/rock.

3. Avey Tare and Panda Bear - Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished (2.5) vs. Leonard Cohen - Live Songs (3.5)
Another difficult album with Spirit... : the first three "songs" are barely listenable. But then, Chocolate Girl comes along and changes your perspective. This song is my idea of a pop melody with quirky gimmicks. Sadly, the rest of the album doesn't match this song's brilliance. And one song doesn't make an album. Cohen's live songs are warmly familiar and perfectly rendered. Unoriginal, but difficult to compete against.

4. Astor Piazzolla - Libertango (3.0)vs. Autechre - Confield (3.5)
Couldn't have two more different styles facing each other. I am a Autechre fan from the beginning and Confield doesn't disappoint. Libertango is good too, perhaps just a bit too cliché, no surprises there.
Last edited by spiritualized on Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

2. Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
3. Avey Tare and Panda Bear - Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Winners in red:

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

This week has not just not an amazing amount of four albums I had heard before (and was very happy to listen to again), but also one of my nominations. But not all is well...

2. Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out vs. 1. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
Oh dear... Two artists I would put in my artist top 10, both who never made something truly disappointing and who are presented here with peak albums (though both also have on album I like even more). They are also opposites. Dig Me Out is straight-forward and derives power out being direct. It wasn't a hit album, but it feels like it is filled with hits anyway. Have One On Me on the other hand is a challenge. Difficult compositions with difficult lyrics, both elements that need time to digest or to fully grasp. But once it does it becomes something truly special. I give the vote here to Have One On Me, because it feels just a little more like one-of-its-kind.

5. Django Django - Django Django vs. 4. Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
Another challenging match-up. I hadn't heard Django Django as I somehow assumed it wouldn't be my kind of thing, but I was wrong. It's a consistently entertaining set of songs. I thought it would win, until I listened to Born to Die again. It was the third time hearing that one. I recall that I was underwhelmed by it the first time, that it grew on me the second spin and now I really feel it is something special and perhaps still underappreciated, even if Ultraviolence is better and more consistent. There is something to Lana Del Rey that just gets to me.

8. Avey Tare and Panda Bear - Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished vs. 3. Leonard Cohen - Live Songs
There is no way of saying this nicely without losing honesty, so I just say it directly: I can't recall an album I listened to from start to finish that I hated more than Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished. If it wasn't for this game I wouldn't have finished it. Heck, I wouldn't have made it past the first track. This song, Spirit They've Vanished, literally hurts my ears. Yes, literally. This is no overstatement: the high-pitched bleeps there seemed to sting in my ears. The other song were only metaphorically painful, but that didn't make it exactly a more easy ride. It's just one horribly misconceived song after another, full of unnecessary, annoying sound-effects (all these cracks and stuff) and off-kilter compositions that go nowhere. It seems like the songs are constructed out of bad sounds that instead of becoming beautiful together just highlight each others' ugliness. And the most grating element, outside of track 1's bleeps, is Avey Tare's voice.
This is all not really a surprise. I tried to get into Animal Collective a couple of years ago. Merriweather Post Pavillion and Strawberry Jams were doable, even if I didn't like them all that much. But Sung Tongs and Feels were insufferable and I never listened to them again. Still, I would have preferred these two albums to these beginnings. Since many people seem to like the album I want to ask an honest question: what do you all like about this? It's not just that I don't care about Spirit They're Gone, it might be the only album I can't find any rational reason why anybody could like it, which is a strange thing to say.

Fate, always the joker, has played tricks on me again and so my least favorite album of the game is pitted against one of my own nominations. Live Songs is an album that had been out of print for a long time, but happily it is available on Spotify. It's really a forgotten album in Leonard Cohen's discography, probably because it was hard to get for so long. I feel it deserves a rediscovery, at least among Cohen fans. It might have become my favorite of his after Songs of Leonard Cohen and perhaps You Want It Darker. The album shows another side of Cohen, someone more emotional and on the edge of despair than he ever allowed himself to be on studio recordings. Please Don't Pass Me By, which never appeared on an actual album, should rank among his best songs, if you ask me.

7. Astor Piazzolla - Libertango vs. 6. Autechre - Confield
Another tough choice. These two seem opposites, but they had something in common to me. Both opened with an amazing song and are followed by songs that aren't quite as amazing but always very good. These songs also follow something of a template from the opening track. I likes both and could have voted for either, but the offbeat charm from Confield won out this time.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks:
Sleater kinney
Django Django
Leonard cohen
Autechre

Guys- results tomorrow will be delayed due to me being on vacation and having limited internet access. Please feel free to vote until I am able to confirm results. Thanks!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Results - Quick Version:

1. TIE 7-7 Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out vs. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me *** Next vote from someone who hasn't already voted wins!
2. TIE 8-8 Django Django - Django Django vs. Lana Del Rey - Born to Die *** Next vote from someone who hasn't already voted wins!
3. TIE 7-7 Avey Tare and Panda Bear - Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished vs. Leonard Cohen - Live Songs *** Next vote from someone who hasn't already voted wins!
4. Astor Piazzolla - Libertango over Autechre - Confield 10-4

Three ties this week - somebody break 'em!

Round 1.15 will be posted later today!
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Argh... Tough to end up in that situation :( one for all !
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Really hoping there's another Sleater-Kinney fan in the house...
phil
Unquestionable Presence

Post by phil »

Brad wrote:Results - Quick Version:

1. TIE 7-7 Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out vs. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me *** Next vote from someone who hasn't already voted wins!
2. TIE 8-8 Django Django - Django Django vs. Lana Del Rey - Born to Die *** Next vote from someone who hasn't already voted wins!
3. TIE 7-7 Avey Tare and Panda Bear - Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished vs. Leonard Cohen - Live Songs *** Next vote from someone who hasn't already voted wins!
4. Astor Piazzolla - Libertango over Autechre - Confield 10-4

Three ties this week - somebody break 'em!

Round 1.15 will be posted later today!
I can break some of those ties.

Joanna Newsom is one of my faves - so definitely go with her over Dig Me Out (though it is my favourite Sleater-Kinney album). Sorry StevieFan!

And I pick Lana del Rey - Born to Die over Django Django - especially for the first five tracks.

I haven't heard Leonard Cohen - Live Songs. I love STGSTV, so it would have a strong chance for me. If it is still tied come the weekend, I'll try to listen to Live Songs.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Thanks phil!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”