Mastering

John
Let's Get It On

Mastering

Post by John »

Does anybody here get into the technical side of music and seek out different masters of classic albums? It's a really interesting rabbit hole to go down, especially if you get the point where you've heard most everything that's deemed acclaimed. There's a lot of different ways you can go down the path too, whether it be seeking out mono pressings, finding stuff from well-known engineers, pressings from other countries... It brings music nerdiness to a whole new level. Steve Hoffman forums are an invaluable resource to finding out about what the consensus is on best masters. If I'm listening to an album, I sometimes google "Steve Hoffman Pet Sounds" for example and there's tons of information about different masters of that album. Some people are really hardcore into this stuff, but I think it's a fun little rabbit hole for those who want to delve a little deeper into the albums they love.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Mastering

Post by Jirin »

I'd love to learn about it but the issue is much of my listening is semi-distracted and not the kind of deep focus you need to pick up the nuances.
John
Let's Get It On

Re: Mastering

Post by John »

Mine too! I rarely listen to music without doing something else. It's not just nuances, in some case songs are completely different using different takes. This is especially prevalent on mono albums. It's fun to listen to the differences and see what you enjoy more.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”