Good new bands

Bucky the Badger
The Only Way Is Up

Good new bands

Post by Bucky the Badger »

I'm a teenager and love classic rock music - 60s, 70s, 80s, even some stuff from the 1990s and 1950s. I hate to be cynical, but it seems that music is really declining nowadays. Whenever I tell people my age that, they either say I'm stupid for liking old music and should check out the newest pop crap sensation, or good music is still there, you just have to look harder. I do like some newer music like Green Day, The Offspring, and the Kings of Leon, but that's about it. I've checked some "indie" bands such as Wilco, Interpol, The Strokes, The Killers, and Grizzly Bear and they sound either extremely bland or make me want to pound my head into a wall (in the case of Interpol). Basically I'm wondering if there's any good new bands to check out. I've had better luck discovering good classic rock bands like Husker Du, The Church, UFO, and Uriah Heep than modern rock bands.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Re: Good new bands

Post by Nick »

You think The Strokes and Wilco are bland? I'm sorry, but you may be past the point of helping.

Nah, I'm just kidding around. You seem to really like rock music so try Queens of the Stone Age, The Black Keys, Franz Ferdinand, The National, Girls, Spoon, Bloc Party, The White Stripes, Arctic Monkeys, and Fucked Up.

Personally, I really like a lot of the big "indie" bands like LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire, MGMT, Vampire Weekend, Beach House, Animal Collective, Bon Iver, TV on the Radio, Fleet Foxes, M83, Deerhunter, and Phoenix- but based on what you've said in your message I don't really get the feeling that you'd warm to many of those bands. Check them out if you want to though.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

The Black Keys seem like they'll be RIGHT up your alley. Great band.
Bucky the Badger
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Bucky the Badger »

Thanks. I do like the White Stripes, but sadly they've broken up and I don't really like Jack Whites stuff with the Raconteurs. A friend of mine's father is really into weird experimental/psychedelic/noise bands like Acid Mother's Temple, Pocahaunted, and Deerhunter. I thought Deerhunter was okay, a step above the stupid teenybopper music played incessantly on the radio but not really something I'd listen to on my own.

Don't the Black Keys do that song Gold on the Ceiling? That was pretty coll, I'll have to check out some of their other stuff.

And Phoenix kind of blows, btw.
Barry
Strange Fruit

Post by Barry »

You could also try Libertines.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Also try TV On The Radio. Nick mentioned them, but I would place them in his first category, not his second.

Also an important question, which Wilco album did you listen to? If you answer anything but 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot', go listen to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

When I first moved away from pop music and discovered classic rock I think I agreed with you, but it's true, good music is still there, it just doesn't play on the airwaves because the people who spend the most money on music are the parents of teenyboppers.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

Well Japandroids sounds like somewhere in between Green Day and The White Stripes. And My Morning Jacket has the same basis as Kings of Leon, only MMJ sound like a seventies band.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”