Janet Jackson -- 30
Van Halen -- 30

Grimes -- 28
Tori Amos -- 27
The Moody Blues -- 26
Sade -- 26
Emmylou Harris -- 22
Missy Elliott -- 22

[imgsize 500x388]https://lastfm-img2.akamaized.net/i/u/7 ... 4c3bd9e7fd[/imgsize]

Backstager:
Pharrell Williams -- 9
Rodney Bingenheimer -- 6
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: Hall of Acclaim 2016 and 2017!!

Post by BleuPanda »

Awesome! Not only did we get three women in, we specifically got three African-American women. And then Van Halen to have one of those artists that probably should have been in here already (though I'd put Janet Jackson in that same category).
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Yeah, the result's pretty cool this time, all deserving acts. I'm particularly glad Bessie Smith made it in - given the age of most forum members and a very varying interest for pre-war music in the forum, I was afraid she would remain a major missing piece in the AM HoF puzzle.

Moonbeam must be very happy for Janet.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Hey, LiveinPhoenix, thanks for pulling this together.

I am the first to admit that I'm not really a pop culture person, but is it weird that for 24 minutes I had no idea who the nominees were? Like really, I couldn't identify one of those four photos?
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

DocBrown wrote:Hey, LiveinPhoenix, thanks for pulling this together.

I am the first to admit that I'm not really a pop culture person, but is it weird that for 24 minutes I had no idea who the nominees were? Like really, I couldn't identify one of those four photos?
Thanks, DocBrown. I should have maybe used this image instead for Bessie Smith. (Though she was the only act from yesteryear who was racking up major points. Anyway, I gave the name reveals soon enough.)

Besides aesthetic purposes, I chose photos for their quick-ID qualities. I admit, with the Arctic Monkeys, I flat-out chose an album cover because I didn't actually recognize anyone in the band (except for that cigarette smoker on their debut...except he's not actually in the band). For instance, Van Halen's got Diamond Dave mugging and the Frankenstein guitar, etc.

So, uh, like if Beyonce and Janet Jackson were hypothetically sitting to the left and right of you, they wouldn't ring any bells?
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Live in Phoenix wrote:
DocBrown wrote: So, uh, like if Beyonce and Janet Jackson were hypothetically sitting to the left and right of you, they wouldn't ring any bells?
The only one I didn't recognize was Janet Jackson. I've said this before I'm sure, but I really feel that Janet Jackson is someone whose star faded enormously since the mid-nineties. I feel sometimes that I could almost have as big a chance of someone my age referencing Bessie Smith as Janet Jackson. I'm not sure new generations still pick her up, whereas Van Halen still goes rather steady and Bessie Smith is at least an historical force (Beyoncé is another case, as she is still in her prime). But perhaps that's me?
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Live in Phoenix wrote:
DocBrown wrote:Hey, LiveinPhoenix, thanks for pulling this together.

So, uh, like if Beyonce and Janet Jackson were hypothetically sitting to the left and right of you, they wouldn't ring any bells?
Nope. I'd just be deliriously happy to have found myself sitting between two stunningly beautiful women. I'm not an R&B listener, but I hope I'd have slightly better luck if they started singing. No guarantees though.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Unless someone else wants to step in (and you'd be more than welcome to), I'm planning to start up the Hall of Acclaim 2018 voting soon, acceping votes through, say, Friday, January 11. The idea this time would be to allow the current year's releases to be included in voters' evaluations.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”