Albums of 2012

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Albums of 2012

Post by Jirin »

Loving the new Saint Etienne.

And Screaming Females - Ugly is entering my top 10.
Michel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Michel »

Alt-J (aka ∆) - An Awesome Wave is really good.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Two new "entrées" this week :
"We have Band - Ternion" A really good mix of a lot of things I like.
"Sigur Ros - Valtari" I read everywhere this album sucks....no it's not true. Really strong songs, a solid album, slitghly different but excellent.

Lambchop - Mr. M 9/10
The Maccabees - Given to the Wild 9/10
Field Music - Plumb 8,5/10
Django Django - S/t 8,5/10
Tindersticks - Something Rain 8,5/10
We Have Band - Ternion 8/10
Dr. John - Locked Down 8/10
Sigur Ros - Valtari 8/10
Mark Lanegan Band - Blues Funeral 8/10
Ewert and The Two Dragons - Good Man Down 8/10
Trailer Trash Tracys - Ester 8/10
Andrew Bird - Break It Yourself 7,5/10
Stuck in the sound - Pursuit 7,5/10
Skip the use - Can be late 7,5/10
Air - Le voyage dans la lune 6,5/10
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

New St. Etienne and Japandroids? :music-listening: Can't wait to check those out.
Chris K.
Let's Get It On

Post by Chris K. »

Looks like between new albums from Grizzly Bear, the xx, dirty projectors and Animal Collective, this year is going to start morphing into 2009 soon.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

irreduciblekoan wrote:The new Liars, WIXIW, just blew my mind. I mean, there is so much complexity, depth, beauty and personality in those 43 minutes. Easily their best album since Drum's Not Dead. It will take at least three spins to fully digest it all and see how well it stands up, but could be a classic.

Totally agree. I never think of Liars as one of my favorite bands, but when I think about it they've had a really incredible run of creativity the past 6 years. WIXIW has an atmosphere that reminds me of Kid A, but more in the sense that they're succeeding in a similar way to Radiohead rather than ripping them off.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Another vote for Japandroids.

I loved Post-Nothing, and it is way better than Post-Nothing. I tried to get tickets to Japandroids right after I heard it, but it's already sold out.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

Michel wrote:Alt-J (aka ∆) - An Awesome Wave is really good.
I agree completely. Excellent debut. It really needs to get more widely reviewed.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

"Electric Guest - Mondo" Danger Mouse touch something, Danger Mouse transform this thing in gold.
Album of the year for me if nothing else as good as this come before the end of 2012.
10 songs = 10 hits. It's simple, this album looks like a Best Of .
It's exactly what I love.
Electric Guest - Mondo 9,5/10
Lambchop - Mr. M 8.5/10
Sigur Ros - Valtari 8/10
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Has someone checked iamamiwhoami's kin? I'm going to listen to it later after finishing some chapters of a few books i'm due. :D
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Add me to the El-P and Killer Mike lovers.
I just listened to the new Hot Chip, it did not blew my mind but it is another good albums to add in their discography. "Night and Day" and "Flutes" are good showcases of the 2 facets of this band that makes me love them so much !

And if "Pyramides", the new single from Frank Ocean, is any indication, his new album is gonna be very ambitious.

Also, Gojira - L'enfant Sauvage is the best metal song I have heard in a loooooong while.
I'm not a huge fan of this way of singing, but there's a wonderful tragic tension in the "slow" parts of this song that I find mesmerizing.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Fiona Apple's The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver of The Screw And Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do is streaming at NPR.

Album of the year. The kids don't stand a chance. :music-listening:
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I'm seeing her live in a few weeks. Gotta love someone who releases 4 albums in 17 years.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Jirin wrote:I'm seeing her live in a few weeks. Gotta love someone who releases 4 albums in 17 years.
YEAH! Have a nice concert :D

I plan to see her live in seven years :happy-partydance:
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

1. Grimes - Visions
2. Frankie Rose - Interstellar
3. Mi and L'au - If Beauty Is A Crime
4. Grupo de Expertos Solynieve - El eje de la Tierra
5. Klaus & Kinski - Herrerros y fatigas
6. Lambchop - Mr M
7. Dr John - Locked Down
8. Lindstrom - Six Cups Of Rebel
9. The 2 Bears - Be Strong
10. Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas
11. Ewert and the Two Dragons - Good Man Down
12. Chairlift - Something
13. Bhi Bhiman - Bhiman
14. The Menzingers - On The Impossible Past
15. Laura Gibson - La Grande
16. Auktyon - Top
17. Screaming Females - Ugly
18. Julia Holter - Ekstasis
19. Death Grips - The Money Store
20. Soko - I Thought I Was An Alien

Soon to be added:
Japandroids, Liars
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

HRS wrote:Fiona Apple's The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver of The Screw And Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do is streaming at NPR.

I just finished my first spin and I totally agree. This album deserves all the hype and praise it will surely get.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

In a traditional old style way, 3 excelllllllent albums :

Ebo Taylor - Appia Kwa Bridge (Afrobeat-Highlife)
Michael Kiwanuka - Home Again (folk-r&b in a terry Callier style)
Gregory Porter - Be Good (jazz - r&b)

2012 is an excellent year for my kind of music (music you thought was recorded in 1971 lol)

my top 10 so far

Ebo Taylor
Michael Kiwanuka
Bhi Bhiman
Gregory Porter
Dr. John
Leonard Cohen
The El Gusto Orchestra of Algiers
Bruce Springsteen
Carolina Chocolate Drops
Anaïs Mitchell

any suggestions (I'm not so conservative as I may seem) ?
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Chan Marshall is back
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

irreduciblekoan wrote:
HRS wrote:Fiona Apple's The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver of The Screw And Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do is streaming at NPR.

I just finished my first spin and I totally agree. This album deserves all the hype and praise it will surely get.
Count me in as well. Utterly blew me away, and I can't even say I was a particularly big fan before. "Werewolf" is the best song I've heard all year. "But we can still support each other, all we gotta do's avoid each other/Nothing wrong when a song ends in a minor key." Wow. And double-wow for those round-robin harmonies w/ sister Maude Maggart at the end of album-closer "Hot Knife."

Love the childhood photo (at the piano, naturally) of Apple (or "Feedy," to partner-in-crime Charley Drayton's "Seedy") in the CD booklet. I'd wonder whether she's ever been that happy since, but there's something kinda manic-looking about her smile that makes me think maybe she isn't all that happy in the picture, either.

Brilliant album.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Harold wrote:
Count me in as well. Utterly blew me away, and I can't even say I was a particularly big fan before. "Werewolf" is the best song I've heard all year. "But we can still support each other, all we gotta do's avoid each other/Nothing wrong when a song ends in a minor key." Wow. And double-wow for those round-robin harmonies w/ sister Maude Maggart at the end of album-closer "Hot Knife."

Love the childhood photo (at the piano, naturally) of Apple (or "Feedy," to partner-in-crime Charley Drayton's "Seedy") in the CD booklet. I'd wonder whether she's ever been that happy since, but there's something kinda manic-looking about her smile that makes me think maybe she isn't all that happy in the picture, either.

Brilliant album.
Werewolf is also my favorite track of the year! :D
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

HRS wrote: Werewolf is also my favorite track of the year! :D
I think mine is Flutes by Hot Chip.
But yeah, the new Fiona Apple is very good !
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Here's every album I've heard from the year now, ranked.

1. Bloom- Beach House
2. Sweet Heart Sweet Light- Spiritualized
3. Visions- Grimes
4. The Idler Wheel...- Fiona Apple
5. Kill for Love- Chromatics
6. Blunderbuss- Jack White
7. Old Ideas- Leonard Cohen
8. R.A.P. Music- Killer Mike
9. Celebration Rock- Japandroids
10. Attack On Memory- Cloud Nothings
11. WIXIW- Liars
12. Fin- John Talabot
13. Valtari- Sigur Ros
14. Cancer 4 Cure- El-P
15. Wrecking Ball- Bruce Springsteen
16. Kindred (EP)- Burial
17. The Money Store- Death Grips
18. Port of Morrow- The Shins
19. Reign of Terror- Sleigh Bells
20. Something- Chairlift
21. Born to Die- Lana Del Rey
Evan
Strange Fruit

Post by Evan »

I might get blasted for this, but does anyone else think Call Me Maybe is kinda sorta the greatest pop song in recent memory?
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Evan wrote:I might get blasted for this, but does anyone else think Call Me Maybe is kinda sorta the greatest pop song in recent memory?
It has proven to be divisive song when some friends and I are talking about mainstream pop, but I agree with it! Radio is so boring these days will all those David Guetta/Calvin Harris produced by the numbers song that basically follows the same formula - although Sia's presence on Titanium kind of saves it. Call Me Maybe on the other hand has one of the best chorus that've been around on top 40 for quite sometime. The beat doesn't overtake the song or Jepsen's delivery and the song never overstays. Yes, It could have been sang by anyone else and it basically follows an old radio formula of teen pop that has been long been forgotten, but I believe that this doesn't work against the song at all. I believe it's a teen pop song even though she has 26 years old - and her label seems to be trying hard to market her as a teen. Teen pop is never a genre to take too seriously, but it's been quite a time since a well built teen single came out. It's a better single than any of the (annoying) releases of the likes of Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, the thank-heavens-they-were-forgotten Jonas Brothers and other sub-Disney products thrown at the face of the masses the last few years. I guess a teen pop song hasn't been as enjoyable since You Belong With Me by Taylor Swift. It's also better than the awfully-sung singles of Katy Perry's Teenage Dream, the pseudo-artistic statements of Lady Gaga, the trashy pro-Auto-tune overdubbed tracks of Kesha or the repetitive songs of Rihanna - Oh my she has a serious problem of repeating words and lines for minutes all over a shitty beat. The song doesn't take itself seriously, it's plain goofy, and has everything on its side to turn into one of those "one hit wonders guilty pleasures". On the other hand, it can be pretty annoying to a good amount people. Better yet, it can be fun and annoying all at the same.

It has also kicked out a nice memes trend :D

Evan
Strange Fruit

Post by Evan »

HRS wrote:
Evan wrote:I might get blasted for this, but does anyone else think Call Me Maybe is kinda sorta the greatest pop song in recent memory?
It has proven to be divisive song when some friends and I are talking about mainstream pop, but I agree with it! Radio is so boring these days will all those David Guetta/Calvin Harris produced by the numbers song that basically follows the same formula - although Sia's presence on Titanium kind of saves it. Call Me Maybe on the other hand has one of the best chorus that've been around on top 40 for quite sometime. The beat doesn't overtake the song or Jepsen's delivery and the song never overstays. Yes, It could have been sang by anyone else and it basically follows an old radio formula of teen pop that has been long been forgotten, but I believe that this doesn't work against the song at all. I believe it's a teen pop song even though she has 26 years old - and her label seems to be trying hard to market her as a teen. Teen pop is never a genre to take too seriously, but it's been quite a time since a well built teen single came out. It's a better single than any of the (annoying) releases of the likes of Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, the thank-heavens-they-were-forgotten Jonas Brothers and other sub-Disney products thrown at the face of the masses the last few years. I guess a teen pop song hasn't been as enjoyable since You Belong With Me by Taylor Swift. It's also better than the awfully-sung singles of Katy Perry's Teenage Dream, the pseudo-artistic statements of Lady Gaga, the trashy pro-Auto-tune overdubbed tracks of Kesha or the repetitive songs of Rihanna - Oh my she has a serious problem of repeating words and lines for minutes all over a shitty beat. The song doesn't take itself seriously, it's plain goofy, and has everything on its side to turn into one of those "one hit wonders guilty pleasures". On the other hand, it can be pretty annoying to a good amount people. Better yet, it can be fun and annoying all at the same.
Very well said, HRS! And English isn't even your native language :-P

(Note to Henrik: add a tongue-sticking-out smily!)
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

HRS wrote:

It has also kicked out a nice memes trend :D
It's good but a bit too repetitive and samey for my tastes, though I agree with most of your comment about modern pop, HRS. To me, Rihanna's Umbrella was THE PERFECT mainstream pop song. I rarely listen to top 40 music anymore but I never get tired of that song. I can't take Call Me Maybe much more than the three times I've already heard it. :D
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

It's hooked me. I hated it at first, but I think I've listened to it like 10 times in the past week.
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

It sounds like a lost pop classic from the early-mid 90's. It definitely doesn't sound like any other pop coming out right now.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'm not too huge of a fan of the song. Dumb lyrics are sometimes excusable, especially in pop music, but "Call Me Maybe" just seems too full of them for me to ignore ("before you came into my life, I missed you so bad").
I much prefer this cover by Stacks of Wax where the song is re-imagined as a long lost disco classic-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld7qaVpkFmI

As far as memes go, if you're a fan of the cult TV show "Arrested Development", you might find this funny.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Listening to Call Me Maybe once, I neither like it nor mind it very much.

But if I still spent hours a day working in retail stores I can imagine learning to hate it awfully quickly.

Maybe if it were a little less antiseptic I'd like it. I can imagine somebody delivering a great performance of it on The Voice, when they're focusing on raw vocal talent without cleaning up all the tonal variation that could potentially make it interesting. It's catchy as hell but not much different from other pop songs.
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

It's like an early Whitney song with Walking on Broken Glass synths. I gotta hear Moonbeam's opinion on this.
Evan
Strange Fruit

Post by Evan »

And of course, as is the case with most pop songs, there's the added bonus that attractive women like the song. In this case, VERY attractive women.
Miami's cheerleaders aren't making a music video for Guided by Voices anytime soon (although I'd watch that, too 8-) )
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

15 seconds...that is what I was able to listen to this song :mrgreen:
In my country, we call it : "de la soupe" (soup). I really don't see the different between this and the hundred of teenages songs we can hear each years ?!
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts Some very good songs, but some weak ones.
And Also The Trees - Hunter Not The Hunted What a pleasure to ear theses stories with this magnificient guitar.
Lambchop - Mr. M 8.5/10
And Also The Trees - Hunter Not The Hunted 8/10
Sigur Ros - Valtari 8/10
Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts 7/10
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Now that I have listened to a bit more than 20 albums released this year, here is my first top 10 :

1) Burial - Kindred EP
2) Hot Chip - In Our Heads
3) El-P - Cancer for Cure
4) Japandroids - Celebration Rock
5) Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
6) Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel
7) Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
8) John Talabot - ƒIN
9) The Men - Open Your Heart
10) Lambchop - Mr. M
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Here's "Be Good," the title track from Gregory Porter's wonderful sophomore album...
...will keep us together.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Some samples from 2012 stuff I've been listening. I liked these records. Samples from others, unfortunately, weren't available at Youtube as streams, so I'll try to find something from them later.

Bowerbirds' "Tuck the Darkness In" from The Clearing

Mac Demarco's "Baby's Wearing Blue Jeans" from Rock & Roll Night Club

Langhorne Slim & The Law's "The Way We Move" from The Way We Move

Vestals' "Forever Falling" and "Into Night" from Forever Falling Towards the Sky

Cold Speck's Holland from 'I Predict A Graceful Expulsion

Lower Dens' Brains from Nootropics

Screaming Females' Expire from Ugly (Screaming Females has been mentioned here, already.)

Weird Dreams' Suburban Coated Creatures from Choreography

The Two Man Gentlemen's Pork Chops from Two at a Time
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

I don't understand how Rebecca Black's Friday can attract such loathing from ordinary people, while Call Me Maybe attracts such hysteria. On the adoration scale, they're on opposite sides of the spectrum. Admittedly Friday is far more inane than Call Me Maybe, but there's far too much that's similar to have such differing reactions to the two.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Zorg wrote:I don't understand how Rebecca Black's Friday can attract such loathing from ordinary people, while Call Me Maybe attracts such hysteria. On the adoration scale, they're on opposite sides of the spectrum. Admittedly Friday is far more inane than Call Me Maybe, but there's far too much that's similar to have such differing reactions to the two.
I don't think the two have much of anything in common, besides being the same genre.

Call Me Maybe is about: A casual hookup
Friday is about: What day it is, and the seating arrangements in the car

Call Me Maybe has a catchy melody
Friday has a comically bad melody

Call Me Maybe has competent production value
Friday seems like a person who's never sung before made a one-over pass with an auto tuner and decided they were done
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I've got a new #1

Ewert and the Two Dragons - Good Man Down

This is an example of something I would have never thought of putting #1 if it weren't for my program. I don't think of it as being 'The greatest album released in the year'. Yet, whenever I listen to it, and then listen to another of my favorites of the year, I discover I enjoyed this one more.

So, updated top 10, which still has not included the new Japandroids and Fiona Apple which belong there:

1. Ewert and the Two Dragons - Good Man Down
2. Grimes - Visions
3. Pepe Deluxe - Queen of the Wave
4. Lambchop - Mr M
5. Frankie Rose - Interstellar
6. Jenny Sheinman - Mischief & Mayhem
7. Mi and L'au - If Beauty Is A Crime
8. Auktyon - Top
9. Klaus & Kinski - Herrerros y fatigas
10. The 2 Bears - Be Strong
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

John wrote:It's like an early Whitney song with Walking on Broken Glass synths. I gotta hear Moonbeam's opinion on this.
Just hearing this for the first time. It is pretty great for a mainstream pop song! The strings just burst with joy. Her delivery might turn out to annoy me after awhile, though.
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

I thought you'd like it. Right when I heard those strings.. they sound like synths to me though, I immediately thought of Walking on Broken Glass.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Any opinions on more recent releases like the Dirty Projectors' Swing Lo Magellan and Dead Can Dance's Anastasis or Twin Shadow's Confess?
Chris K.
Let's Get It On

Post by Chris K. »

HRS wrote:Any opinions on more recent releases like the Dirty Projectors' Swing Lo Magellan and Dead Can Dance's Anastasis or Twin Shadow's Confess?
I am loving Swing Lo Magellan! I can't tell whether I will end up liking it as much as Bitte Orca but it will close. Just started listening to Confess, it's not doing much for me so far.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Dry The River - Shallow Bed 8,5/10 (a big spoon of Fleet Foxes for exceptionnal melodies).
Revolver - Let Go 8/10 (Beatles and Beach Boys lovers, this album his made for you).
Rufus Wainwright - Out of the Game 7,5/10 (Maybe his best album).

Lambchop - Mr. M 8.5/10
Dry The River - Shallow Bed 8,5/10
Revolver - Let Go 8/10
And Also The Trees - Hunter Not The Hunted 8/10
Sigur Ros - Valtari 8/10
Rufus Wainwright - Out of the Game 7,5/10
Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts 7/10
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Frank Ocean's Channel Orange just came out 40 minutes ago (a week early) and is already AOTY for me, not even close
Rodneyontheblock
Strange Fruit

Post by Rodneyontheblock »

Not only did his album come out so did he LOL! Hip hop singers are tame when it comes to homophobia compared to the reggae singers. Speaking of REVOLVER, you gave me an idea for another subject to post in the TOP 5s...
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Half of 2012 has passed, so it's time for an updated top 10:

01. Burial - Kindred EP
02. Beach House - Bloom
03. Spiritualized - Sweet Heart Sweet Light
04. Porcelain Raft - Strange Weekend
05. Gonjasufi - MU.ZZ.LE
06. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More than Ropes Will Ever Do
07. Actress - R.I.P.
08. Sun Kil Moon - Among the Leaves
09. Sigur Rós - Valtari
10. Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas
11. Lambchop - Mr. M
12. Spain - the Soul of Spain
13. Sharon van Etten - Tramp
14. Clark - Iradelphic
15. Chromatics - Kill for Love
16. Blaudzun - Heavy Flowers
17. Jack White - Blunderbuss
18. The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now
19. Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
20. Tindersticks - The Something Rain

Last month was quite boring when it comes to new releases. Guess I'll have to wait till about the end of the summer.

Edit: Top 20 in stead of Top 10
Last edited by Gillingham on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperFurry
Wannabe

Post by SuperFurry »

Here's my half year list.

1 . Japandroids - Celebration Rock
2 . The Maccabees - Given To Wild
3 . The Men - Open Your Heart
4 . Django Django - Django Django
5 . Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action At A Distance
6 . Daughn Gibson - All Hell
7 . Mount Carmel - Real Women