woman and man artists

Nikitiyk
Superunknown

woman and man artists

Post by Nikitiyk »

Hello everyone, Henrik, can you create a division of the recognized gender - female / male in the artists' tab? For example, as a radical feminist, your service will be very convenient - I can listen only to female females.

Adriana (from Russia)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: woman and man artists

Post by StevieFan13 »

First of all, what a pleasure it is to see a female face on the forum! We've been hoping for more gender diversity here, so welcome! Second though, I'd like to think it's pretty easy for the most part. Either listen to the song for a female vocal part (though I don't know how you'd deal with a band such as The Seekers or The xx where males and females share lead vocals) or identify by name (Lindsay, Carrie, Edith, Bjork...). Sometimes you've gotta be specific though: what would you do about songs by artists like Against Me! or Antony and the Johnsons before their lead performers transitioned?
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Nikitiyk wrote:Hello everyone, Henrik, can you create a division of the recognized gender - female / male in the artists' tab? For example, as a radical feminist, your service will be very convenient - I can listen only to female females.

Adriana (from Russia)
Welcome! If it's not feasible/realistic for Henrik to make that division, you'll have the next best thing if you stick around for the results of this poll:

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/vi ... f=2&t=5981
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

andyd1010 wrote:
Nikitiyk wrote:Hello everyone, Henrik, can you create a division of the recognized gender - female / male in the artists' tab? For example, as a radical feminist, your service will be very convenient - I can listen only to female females.

Adriana (from Russia)
Welcome! If it's not feasible/realistic for Henrik to make that division, you'll have the next best thing if you stick around for the results of this poll:

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/vi ... f=2&t=5981
Precisely! Specifically curated. We got good taste.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

StevieFan13 wrote:First of all, what a pleasure it is to see a female face on the forum! We've been hoping for more gender diversity here, so welcome!
And from Russia on top of that! Really welcome! Though I see Nikitiyk already posted twice, but still.

Anyway, interesting (and unusually formulated) request. I believe Henrik has the data for that, but I don't know to how much work that would amount for him. Most probably, it would require something on the scale of an update, since all the artists pages would have to be edited individually. It probably won't be today.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Pierre wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:First of all, what a pleasure it is to see a female face on the forum! We've been hoping for more gender diversity here, so welcome!
And from Russia on top of that! Really welcome! Though I see Nikitiyk already posted twice, but still.

Anyway, interesting (and unusually formulated) request. I believe Henrik has the data for that, but I don't know to how much work that would amount for him. Most probably, it would require something on the scale of an update, since all the artists pages would have to be edited individually. It probably won't be today.
I have gender information for each album and song. I think lists by gender would be a great thing, but perhaps not necessary to have those rankings on the artist pages. How about a special feature, perhaps with links from the home page only, at least for the current AM update?

I also have information if the artist is a band or solo artist. So perhaps I could do lists of top artists, albums and songs for the following groups:

Female solo artists
Male solo artists
Female-fronted bands
Male-fronted bands

Since the gender information has not been quality checked like the rest of the data, I will probably post links to draft lists from this forum topic first.

And yes, welcome to the forum Nikitiyk!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Nikitiyk
Superunknown

Post by Nikitiyk »

Put the floor designation, and create a separate category - with a female rating separately, and male separately, and general.
♂ And ♀
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Nikitiyk wrote:Put the floor designation, and create a separate category - with a female rating separately, and male separately, and general.
♂ And ♀
That might be a bit of a hard sell. We're having a hard enough time determining what could constitute a "male" or "female" act with our poll (I mean, technically that'd count male-fronted bands like The Velvet Underground, Arcade Fire, Talking Heads, The Smashing Pumpkins, and My Bloody Valentine, but that feels like misrepresentation. And then you've got largely-male but female-fronted bands like The Pretenders, Blondie, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Portishead, Divinyls, or Katrina & The Waves - how would you designate those?)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

If it helps, I believe Henrik has given more weight to female-centric lists as a way to counterbalance the male-dominated lists.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Maybe a sticky thread on the Critic's lists forum on lists with women artists as the subject. It would not entail much work.
I encourage you to participate more Nikitiyk not just because you're a woman but because I think you're the first Russian member here and some might be interested in Russian music.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”