[Results] Songs of the 2000s

StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: [Results] Songs of the 2000s

Post by StevieFan13 »

Romain wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
Romain wrote:
Pretentious? The life of a couple described in the most simple way with very simple words. How can it be pretentious?
I dunno, man. It just didn’t work for me. I don’t speak French, so I was mostly focused on the sound, and it sounded very odd and artsy. Maybe pretentious isn’t the word I was looking for (I rushed some of my comments, I’ll admit), rather inaccessible. If you don’t speak French and don’t like songs that are mostly spoken, there isn’t much there for you. I staunchly believe a song doesn’t have to just be standard verse-chorus business, but I still want to feel like I can get into it to some degree.
You can obviously dislike what you want :mrgreen: , but it's the word "pretentious" who ""shocked"" me with a so simple song with daily basic words about daily life.

Any Eminem, Kanye West or Nicky Minaj songs are pretentious and artsy for me because it's mostly poken words and I don't understand english. 8-) :D
Lol fair point!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 460x400]http://www.rarerecords.com.au/wp-conten ... ddle-3.jpg[/imgsize]
Just be yourself
It doesn't matter if that's good enough for someone else
90. Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
Score: 816.1 pts
Year of Release: 2001 (#12 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 232 (2074 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 465
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: Not top 100

Fans: Dan(15), Henry(5)
Not Fans: BangJan(145), Brad(148), JamieW(148), Nassim(136), Rob(136), rumpdoll(148), sonofsamiam(137), Toni(145)

Rob: What is this? A substandard sounding rock song that offers some advice to teenagers? Okay… Where was this when I was a teenager and needed this song? Oh, I was actually a teenager when this came out. Why didn’t I hear it back then? Seems it flopped hard in my home country. Next question: what is doing here? Don’t get me wrong, it is innocent and likeable, but isn’t this, you know, a bit too clichéd of a song to be in this list? For this one a hundred other ones. Although I don’t think it is the worst song here, it is the one whose presence I understand least. Also, is it arrogant to say I think I’ve outgrown this song?

[imgsize 400x400]http://a2-images.myspacecdn.com/images0 ... 00x300.jpg[/imgsize]
But you'll be on my mind, forever
89. Norah Jones - Don't Know Why
Score: 822.6 pts
Year of Release: 2002 (#12 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 292 (2450 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 202

Fans: bonnielaurel(1), ProsecutorGodot(1)
Not Fans: BangJan(143), BleuPanda(144), Nassim(137)

Rob: Let’s face it: this is really is easy listening pur sang. Jazz for people who like the vibe of jazz, but not the actual sound. If Michael Bublé wasn’t on this list it would easily have been the least exciting song on here. But somehow it works. Norah Jones has the right voice to make this song float nicely. It should have been boring and I suspect there are a lot of tiring covers out there. But here there is some magic.

[imgsize 466x400]http://images.eil.com/large_image/ELBOW ... 446880.jpg[/imgsize]
Yeah, kiss me like we die tonight
88. Elbow - One Day Like This
Score: 827.4 pts
Year of Release: 2008 (#6 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 65 (549 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 98

Highest rank: maverick470(18)
Lowest rank: Toni(133)

Rob: Sappy pop for the masses or a heartfelt feelgood epic? I go for the latter, because I have never been able to resist the bigness of this song? I love how unabashedly happy the lyrics are. That can easily work against your song (at least if I am the listener), but something about the voice, the big Hey Jude like chorus and the shamelessness of the track appeals greatly to me.

StevieFan13: Elbow cranked their settings to “U2 on steroids” and the world was blessed with “One Day Like This.” I haven’t heard many inspiring power ballads since then, since the overwhelming scope and power of this one puts any other attempt to shame.

[imgsize 533x400]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/cO4VaM4jKMU/hqdefault.jpg[/imgsize]
Cut his teeth on turquoise harmonicas
87. Vampire Weekend - A-Punk
Score: 831.8 pts
Year of Release: 2007 (#13 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 57 (491 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 341

Fans: slick(3)
Lowest rank: DaveC(135)

Rob: Is this mini-song really punk? It reminds me a bit on the more groovy, reggae inspired Clash songs, so I guess… not. It is a catchy indie song that in theory is extremely annoying, but in practice is irresistible, like much of Vampure Weekend.

[imgsize 456x400]http://img.discogs.com/0Oz-Kj7EgMJ0rwsS ... 7.jpeg.jpg[/imgsize]
I can say I hope it will be worth what I give up
86. Santigold - L.E.S. Artistes
Score: 832.4 pts
Year of Release: 2008 (#9 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 77 (695 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 106
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 98

Fans: Rob(9)
Lowest rank: Listyguy(135)

Rob: This is perhaps the catchiest song from what for me is probably the catchiest album of all time. There is something about Santigold’s singing hear that is appealing. Her voice is a bit weird, but not overly so. The uh-uh-uh’s are a great addition to the song the rhythm is funkier than most funk and the lyrics appeal to me. I have always had a hard time explaining why I love this song so much, but it makes me feel good more than most songs, even if it isn’t meant as an outspoken feel good song.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

I'm sure another Radiohead song will get out ANY minute now...

Rob, I completely agree with your comments on Santigold!
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

And there is my "mystery" song, the one that got higher than expected: The Middle. I guess my review covers already why I'm baffled that it makes #90. I don't hate it or anything, but...
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

DaveC wrote:[imgsize 460x400]http://www.rarerecords.com.au/wp-conten ... ddle-3.jpg[/imgsize]
Just be yourself
It doesn't matter if that's good enough for someone else
90. Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
Score: 816.1 pts
Year of Release: 2001 (#12 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 232 (2074 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 465

Fans: Dan(15), Henry(5)
Not Fans: BangJan(145), Brad(148), JamieW(148), Nassim(136), Rob(136), rumpdoll(148), sonofsamiam(137), Toni(145)

Rob: What is this? A substandard sounding rock song that offers some advice to teenagers? Okay… Where was this when I was a teenager and needed this song? Oh, I was actually a teenager when this came out. Why didn’t I hear it back then? Seems it flopped hard in my home country. Next question: what is doing here? Don’t get me wrong, it is innocent and likeable, but isn’t this, you know, a bit too clichéd of a song to be in this list? For this one a hundred other ones. Although I don’t think it is the worst song here, it is the one whose presence I understand least. Also, is it arrogant to say I think I’ve outgrown this song?
As it turns out, Rob and I did apparently have the same song in mind! :P
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Rob wrote:And there is my "mystery" song, the one that got higher than expected: The Middle. I guess my review covers already why I'm baffled that it makes #90. I don't hate it or anything, but...
I thought the mystery song was Beautiful Day. A lot of people still like U2, but lately they've been getting dragged on the forum. Gonna finish higher than a lot of songs!
The real mystery to me is how all three of the Coldplay songs (save the one I actually enjoy) got this far.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Rob wrote:And there is my "mystery" song, the one that got higher than expected: The Middle. I guess my review covers already why I'm baffled that it makes #90. I don't hate it or anything, but...
I thought the mystery song was Beautiful Day. A lot of people still like U2, but lately they've been getting dragged on the forum. Gonna finish higher than a lot of songs!
I don't care much for it's parent album, but Beautiful Day is quite all right in my book.
About Coldplay, I think they are really lucky with the songs that represent them here. Besides, for the most part I think they only became a bad band when the 2010's started (even if Fix You is probably my least favorite song by them). Then again, X&Y and Viva la Vida are pretty bland albums in my opinion.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Is "The Middle" really that surprising? I've always been a fan of its frank sincerity, in addition to finding it to be really catchy (there might be hundreds of songs sonically like this, but it's always stood to me as near the top of that style).

I think it fits perfectly within the late 90s/early 2000s New Sincerity style, but in a popular sense. Of course I think Arcade Fire and Sufjan Stevens get deeper into the emotions, but it's nice to have a pop rock song that pulls off the same general world view. Sincerity requires a fine balance, and any artist who attempts it risks falling into either sentimentality or seeming insincere. In the hand of similar bands, I could imagine a song like this coming off as cheesy, but it instead reads to me as an honest statement of encouragement. They make it look easy, even almost simple, but so many artists have failed at getting this kind of statement across.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

BleuPanda wrote:Is "The Middle" really that surprising? I've always been a fan of its frank sincerity, in addition to finding it to be really catchy (there might be hundreds of songs sonically like this, but it's always stood to me as near the top of that style).

I think it fits perfectly within the late 90s/early 2000s New Sincerity style, but in a popular sense. Of course I think Arcade Fire and Sufjan Stevens get deeper into the emotions, but it's nice to have a pop rock song that pulls off the same general world view. Sincerity requires a fine balance, and any artist who attempts it risks falling into either sentimentality or seeming insincere. In the hand of similar bands, I could imagine a song like this coming off as cheesy, but it instead reads to me as an honest statement of encouragement. They make it look easy, even almost simple, but so many artists have failed at getting this kind of statement across.
That's the same feeling I get from it. I like another song by them, "If You Don't, Don't," for similar reasons.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Romain wrote: and I don't understand english. 8-) :D
Really ????

Could have fooled me there Romain :) have you been talking completely off topic all these years on the forum ???

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

spiritualized wrote:
Really ????

Could have fooled me there Romain :) have you been talking completely off topic all these years on the forum ???

He’s a very lucky guesser!
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

BleuPanda wrote:Is "The Middle" really that surprising? I've always been a fan of its frank sincerity, in addition to finding it to be really catchy (there might be hundreds of songs sonically like this, but it's always stood to me as near the top of that style).

Well said. When trying to think of what song Rob was referring to, this one never came to mind. L.E.S. Artistes is catchy, but I think The Middle is catchier, and I agree with BleuPanda about the style it fits so well. I'm glad it made the top 100.

As far as Brandt Rhapsodie, I wouldn't call it pretentious, but otherwise I don't connect with it for the same reasons as StevieFan. I tend not to enjoy spoken word in general, and especially in a different language - it seems to be particularly popular in French. At least great rap tends to have more of a musical/rhythmic backdrop. I'm sure I'm missing some good lyrics, but it's still not my style.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Rob wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
I don't care much for it's parent album, but Beautiful Day is quite all right in my book.
About Coldplay, I think they are really lucky with the songs that represent them here. Besides, for the most part I think they only became a bad band when the 2010's started (even if Fix You is probably my least favorite song by them). Then again, X&Y and Viva la Vida are pretty bland albums in my opinion.
I think they have a few peaks (Viva la Vida was in my top 20) but my problem is more that they've always shot for the stars but are kinda just white noise. Adventure of a Lifetime, Yellow, Clocks, Something Just Like This, Hymn for the Weekend, Speed of Sound, Fix You...decent songs individually, sure, but they all combine to just be a very average, not stadium-worthy sound. They're not as experimental as Radiohead or as bombastic as U2 (their two clearest influences), so I don't have much to work with in that middle ground.
Also, Paradise sucks. That one isn't white noise, that song's just garbage.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Rob wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote: I thought the mystery song was Beautiful Day. A lot of people still like U2, but lately they've been getting dragged on the forum. Gonna finish higher than a lot of songs!
I think they have a few peaks (Viva la Vida was in my top 20) but my problem is more that they've always shot for the stars but are kinda just white noise. Adventure of a Lifetime, Yellow, Clocks, Something Just Like This, Hymn for the Weekend, Speed of Sound, Fix You...decent songs individually, sure, but they all combine to just be a very average, not stadium-worthy sound. They're not as experimental as Radiohead or as bombastic as U2 (their two clearest influences), so I don't have much to work with in that middle ground.
Clocks is about as stadium-worthy as it gets.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Can't believe I'm the biggest fan of Kylie's song! I guess when Moonbeam is absent, things are different.

And Brandt Rhapsodie is actually one of my favorite discoveries from this poll.

Also I'm good with Rob's comment on "Don't Know Why." I've resigned myself to my apathy towards jazz for quite a while now. I do like jazz fusion quite a bit though.
Last edited by prosecutorgodot on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Songs that would be higher if I had voted (my top 10 of the songs so far):

1. Benjamin Biolay avec Jeanne Cherhal - Brandt Rhapsodie
2. Fever Ray - Keep the Streets Empty For Me
3. Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out of My Head
4. Radiohead - All I Need
5. Fever Ray - When I Grow Up
6. Fleet Foxes - Mykonos
7. The Hives - Hate To Say I Told You So
8. Norah Jones - Don't Know Why
9. Björk - Pagan Poetry
10. Duffy - Mercy
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Depeche Mode
Wannabe

Post by Depeche Mode »

Romain wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote: I dunno, man. It just didn’t work for me. I don’t speak French, so I was mostly focused on the sound, and it sounded very odd and artsy. Maybe pretentious isn’t the word I was looking for (I rushed some of my comments, I’ll admit), rather inaccessible. If you don’t speak French and don’t like songs that are mostly spoken, there isn’t much there for you. I staunchly believe a song doesn’t have to just be standard verse-chorus business, but I still want to feel like I can get into it to some degree.
You can obviously dislike what you want :mrgreen: , but it's the word "pretentious" who ""shocked"" me with a so simple song with daily basic words about daily life.

Any Eminem, Kanye West or Nicky Minaj songs are pretentious and artsy for me because it's mostly poken words and I don't understand english. 8-) :D
I loved the song from the first listen, before I read the translation. Lyrics are very interesting and fun, but the biggest selling point for me is the droney atmosphere and vocals delivery - such a hypnotic track overall. Thanks for getting it in Romain. I suppose I really like French language - dunno if Silence would have been my no.1 without that intro xD.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

spiritualized wrote:
Really ????

You know what I want to say dear ;-) I can vaguely write english, but I don't understand the lyrics of a song if I don't read it :mrgreen:
For what I know, Eminem can be the Shakespeare of our times, he is so artsy and snob (but I never understand one word) :D
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Romain wrote:
spiritualized wrote:
Really ????

You know what I want to say dear ;-) I can vaguely write english, but I don't understand the lyrics of a song if I don't read it :mrgreen:
For what I know, Eminem can be the Shakespeare of our times, he is so artsy and snob (but I never understand one word) :D
Sometimes, yes, but not recently. You want Shakespeare, get thee to Lil Wayne, the modern Prometheus.
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

StevieFan13 wrote: I think they have a few peaks (Viva la Vida was in my top 20) but my problem is more that they've always shot for the stars but are kinda just white noise. Adventure of a Lifetime, Yellow, Clocks, Something Just Like This, Hymn for the Weekend, Speed of Sound, Fix You...decent songs individually, sure, but they all combine to just be a very average, not stadium-worthy sound. They're not as experimental as Radiohead or as bombastic as U2 (their two clearest influences), so I don't have much to work with in that middle ground.
I always thought of Coldplay as the worse Travis (or Elbow for that matter). I get "Yellow" being high up the list, if I try I can understand "Clocks", too but "Viva la Vida" sounds like something that was written for a soccer WC and "The Scientist" is just boring
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I'm not doubting its sincerity or even execution. It is lightly likable after all. It's more that if you have only 150 songs that can make the list this seems like an odd choice. I wonder how many of the fans here had that song around during their teenage years. I can see that making a difference. And to be clear, I didn't know The Middle at all before this poll. Personally I prefer Green Day's similarly themed Good Riddance by quite a margin.

When I was that age myself there was also The Road Ahead by Dutch band City to City. That song was ubiquitous in The Netherlands at the start of the new millennium and predates The Middle by one year. It has pretty much the same theme, message and sincerity, although it is a pop ballad instead of a rock song. Perhaps that's why The Middle didn't do much in my home country, because the market for such a thing was taken by then. I admit that I still have a soft spot for it, because it was an source of inspiration to me at the time, but coming to it now it doesn't seem like much of a song. And that's how I feel about The Middle, without the nostalgia.

Here it is, by the way:

Remember it for this year's 1999 poll!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Rob wrote:

I'm not doubting its sincerity or even execution. It is lightly likable after all. It's more that if you have only 150 songs that can make the list this seems like an odd choice. I wonder how many of the fans here had that song around during their teenage years. I can see that making a difference. And to be clear, I didn't know The Middle at all before this poll. Personally I prefer Green Day's similarly themed Good Riddance by quite a margin.
I'd actually consider Good Riddance a near total opposite in style; it sounds sincere until you pay closer attention. Sure, it's about a similar concept (life gets better after your teenage years), but it is one long sarcastic tirade. New Sincerity is a rejection of the idea that we can only speak about emotions through sarcasm and irony.
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

Depeche Mode wrote:I suppose I really like French language - dunno if Silence would have been my no.1 without that intro xD.
Hey, Depeche Mode, that intro is spoken in Brazilian Portuguese! That’s interesting, I didn’t know foreign people considered our language similar to French, even though they are all Latin deriven. I also find French one of the most beautiful languages I’ve heard.
About spoken-music in foreign languages, I understand what some of you mean, and I think that’s part of why Bob Dylan doesn’t do so much for me.

Great presentations so far, DaveC.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

BleuPanda wrote:
Rob wrote:

I'd actually consider Good Riddance a near total opposite in style; it sounds sincere until you pay closer attention. Sure, it's about a similar concept (life gets better after your teenage years), but it is one long sarcastic tirade. New Sincerity is a rejection of the idea that we can only speak about emotions through sarcasm and irony.
I don't think Good Riddance is ironic or particularly sarcastic. Armstrong apparently wrote it after a break up when his then-girlfriend moved to Ecuador and the song reflects his mixed feelings of that period, in attempt to convince himself that things will be all right. He didn't have teenage life in mind, but could see why it became a popular high school theme. The difference with The Middle is mostly that Good Riddance lyrics allow pain to creep in, which makes the overall feel more melancholy, which is probably why it appeals more to me even at a somewhat older age, whereas The Middle to me remains juvenile. Not that there is anything wrong with aiming songs at teenagers. I'm just not convinced that it has any interest outside its target audience.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Toni wrote:
Depeche Mode wrote:I suppose I really like French language - dunno if Silence would have been my no.1 without that intro xD.
Hey, Depeche Mode, that intro is spoken in Brazilian Portuguese! That’s interesting, I didn’t know foreign people considered our language similar to French, even though they are all Latin deriven. I also find French one of the most beautiful languages I’ve heard.
About spoken-music in foreign languages, I understand what some of you mean, and I think that’s part of why Bob Dylan doesn’t do so much for me.

I always thought Portuguese kinda sounded like a hybrid of French and Spanish.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 400x400]http://images.rapgenius.com/0fad81e66cc ... 1000x1.jpg[/imgsize]
Consumed
85. Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire
Score: 840.2 pts
Year of Release: 2008 (#3 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 66 (586 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 386

Fans: bonnielaurel(15), ProsecutorGodot(14)
Not Fans: BangJan(144), rumpdoll(144), sonofsamiam(147), Toni(140)

Rob: I like pretty much nothing by this band without identity, but I love Sex on Fire, a power rock song with a burning guitar, that’s sexy as hell. Nowhere else in their career they seemed so full of passion as here. This is sex that scorches the Earth.

[imgsize 400x403]http://ntnl.s3.amazonaws.com/releases/p ... e-full.jpg[/imgsize]
We're half awake in a fake empire
84. The National - Fake Empire
Score: 845.2 pts
Year of Release: 2007 (#9 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 144 (1340 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 43
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 33

Fans: Neil(11)
Not Fans: ProsecutorGodot(145)

Rob: Fake Empire is a great example of the subtle power that The National came to perfect from Boxer on. Through the mumbled words by Matt Berlinger comes a simple, but evocative tale of life in lower places. The music follows suit, by having a mute quality at the start. That is, until those saxophones suddenly seem very powerful and carry you off to the heavens.

[imgsize 400x400]http://images.genius.com/2acac86ad06942 ... 1000x1.jpg[/imgsize]
Now everybody do the propaganda
83. Green Day - American Idiot
Score: 848.2 pts
Year of Release: 2004 (#7 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 87 (760 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 246

Fans: StevieFan13(6)
Not Fans: BangJan(148), Brad(138), JamieW(139), sonofsamiam(143), Toni(141)

Rob: Probably the most straightforward rocker on American Idiot is this title track. It is the most true to the classic punk spirit, as it is short, packs a punch, has a political bend and is sarcastically funny. One of the most enjoyable songs from Green Day.

StevieFan13: You see, folks? Green Day are talented motherfuckers and they have something to say. On the nose a bit? Sure, but it’d been a while since a prominent punk group had taken advantage of their platform, expanded it far beyond punk’s usual bounds, and sold. Grammys, Broadway shows, and many hit singles later, American Idiot pushed Green Day from punk icons to Rock and Roll Hall of Famers, and it can all be traced back to this canon blast of an album opener.

[imgsize 711x400]http://filmvibes.files.wordpress.com/20 ... -31-20.jpg[/imgsize]
Things could be different but they're not
82. Of Montreal - The Past is a Grotesque Animal
Score: 853.8 pts
Year of Release: 2007 (#15 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 453 (3882 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 85
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 62

Fans: Brad(10), Nassim(4), rumpdoll(13)
Not Fans: andyd1010(140), Dan(148), Listyguy(136), phil(144), ProsecutorGodot(147)

Rob: The title of this song and its parent album make it sound unbelievably pretentious. One of the remarkable things about this song is that it may indeed be ambitious – a grotesque animal – if you will, but it is also fun. The great lyrics and musical variety somehow become very danceable.

[imgsize 400x400]http://s3.amazonaws.com/images.sheetmus ... /large.jpg[/imgsize]
Allur rennvotur (Completely drenched)
81. Sigur Rós - Hoppípolla
Score: 856.6 pts
Year of Release: 2005 (#6 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 140 (1293 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: N/A

Fans: DaveC(15), Dexter(4), Neil(12)
Not Fans: ProsecutorGodot(143)

Rob: Yeah, Sigur Rós. They really do their own thing, don’t they. It’s beautiful and all, but somehow I can’t help but feeling that this is a more pompous version of their truly stellar work on Ag?tus byrjun. The way I judge Hoppípolla has varied extremely through my moods. Sometimes I find it transporting, at other times too cute.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

So now exactly 10% of the remaining songs are by Radiohead.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Depeche Mode
Wannabe

Post by Depeche Mode »

Toni wrote:

Haha that's embarrasing - I've listened to the song dozens of times.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 400x400]http://www.bbc.co.uk/staticarchive/f99c ... d161bc.jpg[/imgsize]
I found the world so new
80. The Avalanches - Since I Left You
Score: 858 pts
Year of Release: 2000 (#9 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 75 (678 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 101
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 59

Fans: Neil(10)
Not Fans: DepecheMode(135/143)

Rob: Whereas Frontier Psychiatrist is pure madness, Since I Left You sounds more like a “conventionally” build song, made out of many different samples. Admittedly, it helps that they sampled the chorus lyrics out of just one song. It could be mistaken for a normal song, at least on first glance. But then you notice how weird it stills sounds. What I like the most hear is how much like summer it sounds.

[imgsize 400x400]http://is4.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Mus ... x600bb.jpg[/imgsize]
But everything looks perfect from far away
79. The Postal Service - Such Great Heights
Score: 860.6 pts
Year of Release: 2003 (#4 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 46 (416 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 155
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 32

Fans: Henry(2)
Not Fans: bonnielaurel(145)

Listyguy: Somewhere between whimsical and innocent, this song lies. I love the chorus.

Rob: I hate the one album by The Postal Service, but I love this one song (even if it possibly inspired the horrid career of Owl City). Whereas the other stuff sounds mawkish and overly cute, this one time they got the emotions right. It really feels like these guys are ready to start floating over the world.

[imgsize 400x400]http://www.vinyl-minded.com/images/7/74477.jpg[/imgsize]
Before I knew it this dream was all gone
78. Daft Punk - Digital Love
Score: 861.5 pts
Year of Release: 2001 (#6 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 83 (731 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 44
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 23

Fans: Neil(15), sonofsamiam(5)
Not Fans: DaveC(144), Nassim(138), phil(147)

Rob: I like this one more than the usual Daft Punk song, simply because there is happening more. The song actually has completely different sections. They were hardly the most detailed dance music composers (then again, “Punk” has to be part of their name for some reason), but I can get behind this one.

[imgsize 400x400]http://www.music-bazaar.com/album-image ... -cover.jpg[/imgsize]
Words are blunt instruments
77. Radiohead - Jigsaw Falling into Place
Score: 862.3 pts
Year of Release: 2007 (#16 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 424 (3613 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 172

Fans: rumpdoll(4)
Not Fans: Henry(137)

Rob: My usual criticism for In Rainbows – that it is to clinical – does not go for this one. This is an odd song in the Radiohead canon, as it seems oddly danceable. The lyrics are once again filled with anxiety, but here finally things are falling in its right place (which I’m not convinced that happened in a similarly named song) and the band dances the fear away. Catchy stuff for a band I don’t think of as catchy.

[imgsize 400x425]http://cache.cecinewyork.com/images/cec ... ion_2b.jpg[/imgsize]
It's not a miracle we needed
76. Phoenix - 1901
Score: 863 pts
Year of Release: 2009 (#2 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 50 (444 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 69
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 66

Fans: andyd1010(15), Dexter(6)
Not Fans: Rob(145)

Rob: I remembered that when I had to write about this one for the 10.000 Songs project I really had a hard time with it. This is one of those tracks that doesn’t really inspire more in me than: “This is a song. It exists”. I just don’t hear anything noteworthy in this thing.
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

I discovered much new music while doing these lists last year (thanks guys) but didn't think I would discover anything in the top 150 list.
I was wrong, Of Montreals Grotesque Animal is a monster of a song I listened to many many times last month.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Rob wrote: When I was that age myself there was also The Road Ahead by Dutch band City to City. That song was ubiquitous in The Netherlands at the start of the new millennium and predates The Middle by one year. It has pretty much the same theme, message and sincerity, although it is a pop ballad instead of a rock song. Perhaps that's why The Middle didn't do much in my home country, because the market for such a thing was taken by then. I admit that I still have a soft spot for it, because it was an source of inspiration to me at the time, but coming to it now it doesn't seem like much of a song. And that's how I feel about The Middle, without the nostalgia.

Here it is, by the way:

Interesting, 'The Middle' doesn't remind me of 'The Road Ahead' at all. Maybe that's because I focus more on music than on lyrics, but still...
'The Road Ahead' just makes me think of a bad and bland early 90s R.E.M. impression.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Gillingham wrote:
Rob wrote: When I was that age myself there was also The Road Ahead by Dutch band City to City. That song was ubiquitous in The Netherlands at the start of the new millennium and predates The Middle by one year. It has pretty much the same theme, message and sincerity, although it is a pop ballad instead of a rock song. Perhaps that's why The Middle didn't do much in my home country, because the market for such a thing was taken by then. I admit that I still have a soft spot for it, because it was an source of inspiration to me at the time, but coming to it now it doesn't seem like much of a song. And that's how I feel about The Middle, without the nostalgia.

Here it is, by the way:

Interesting, 'The Middle' doesn't remind me of 'The Road Ahead' at all. Maybe that's because I focus more on music than on lyrics, but still...
'The Road Ahead' just makes me think of a bad and bland early 90s R.E.M. impression.
They have the same lyrical intent, that's all. I'm not gonna make a defense of The Road Ahead on a musical basis.
Last edited by Rob on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 400x405]http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/ori ... 6bd802.jpg[/imgsize]
And you've been so busy lately
that you haven't found the time
75. Blur - Out of Time
Score: 866.7 pts
Year of Release: 2003 (#9 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 90 (831 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 350
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 56

Fans: DepecheMode(9), Henry(3), rumpdoll(6)
Not Fans: ProsecutorGodot(146)

Rob: I never actually went beyond the nineties with listening to Blur so I never heard this before. It is one of their best nostalgic sounding dream songs, with a nice floating (drifting?) quality.

[imgsize 600x400]http://payload241.cargocollective.com/1 ... NT_905.jpg[/imgsize]
Daniel, I dream of home
74. Bat for Lashes - Daniel
Score: 868.7 pts
Year of Release: 2009 (#4 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 76 (694 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 84
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 77

Fans: DaveC(2), Rob(11)
Not Fans: rumpdoll(141)

Rob: The best romantic song of the decade? Sure the lover may be imagined and even this fictional romance ends, but somehow this song captures for me fully the ideal of wanting to fall in love: “Forever to search for the flame”. This tribute to someone who lighted the fire in singer Natasha Khan’s heart is something powerful. I love how lush this song sounds, without ever feeling the need to get to big, something that could easily have happened.

[imgsize 417x400]http://m2.behance.net/rendition/pm/7116 ... 00f005.jpg[/imgsize]
Now I go out alone if I go out at all
73. The Walkmen - The Rat
Score: 879.4 pts
Year of Release: 2004 (#8 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 59 (505 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 81
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 82

Fans: Brad(6), Dan(11), Nassim(14)
Not Fans: Toni(136)

Rob: Perhaps not the loudest rock song of the decade, but somehow it feels like it is the hardest. This is music as screaming therapy. There isn’t a genre as suitable for this as rock and The Rat is one of the best examples you can find for this.

[imgsize 400x400]http://images.eil.com/large_image/ARCAD ... 400725.jpg[/imgsize]
Every spark of friendship and love will die without a home
72. Arcade Fire - Intervention
Score: 881.3 pts
Year of Release: 2006 (#9 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 230 (2068 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 57
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 71

Fans: JamieW(3), Toni(5)
Not Fans: Neil(141), sonofsamiam(141)

Rob: There are four Funeral songs on here, but only one by The Neon Bible. I actually agree with the usual assessment that The Neon Bible pales somewhat in comparison with its predecessor, but I think Intervention might be their best. This mostly because there is a sense of anger and despair here that isn’t set aside by a very indie sense of togetherness. This is a colder Arcade Fire and I don’t mean that as a weakness. The church feel of this track is great.

Big drop at #71, the first song to drop from our top 20 of the 2000s in our all-time songs poll:

[imgsize 599x400]http://www.lyricsmode.com/i/bpictures/10337.jpg[/imgsize]
There's a curse comes with a kiss
71. TV on the Radio - Wolf Like Me
Score: 883.1 pts
Year of Release: 2006 (#2 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 52 (453 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 16
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 22

Fans: BleuPanda(14)
Lowest rank: phil(132)

Rob: Confession time: I barely ever listened to TV on the Radio before this poll. Songs like Wolf Like Me make me notice that I have been missing out, because not only is it great rock, but it also sounds like nothing else. Wolf Like Me is a bit messy, grungy, but also very danceable and energetic. It has been in heavy rotation here in the past few weeks.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

The first big Radiohead song collapses!

Intervention was a great discovery for me.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 400x400]http://images.genius.com/cb9c2c2bbcb98b ... 1000x1.jpg[/imgsize]
I caught a glimpse now it haunts me
70. The Knife - Silent Shout
Score: 883.3 pts
Year of Release: 2006 (#5 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 171 (1640 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 48
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 31

Fans: Nassim(7)
Not Fans: andyd1010(136), Listyguy(150), StevieFan13(145)

Rob: One of the best dance tracks of the decade for me is Silent Shout. It’s richly layered and full of details that keep surprising after many listens, but also never lets you forget that this sound can work you into a sweat on the dancefloor.

[imgsize 464x400]http://i.redd.it/nvppp8ghgozy.jpg[/imgsize]
They say you can rap about anything except for Jesus
69. Kanye West - Jesus Walks
Score: 884.6 pts
Year of Release: 2004 (#9 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 40 (388 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 62
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 51

Fans: Listyguy(11)
Not Fans: bonnielaurel(143)

Rob: Kanye West’s problems in this song aren’t exactly mine (to be fair, almost nobody writes more unrelatable lyrics for me than mr. West), but he knows how to sell it. As per usual it is the production that makes the song and this has such a powerful, marching sound that he almost converts this atheist to a believer. A like this song quite a lot and the message works for me as a condemnation of censorship. Kanye wouldn’t be Kanye if the song didn’t have something truly stupid in it (the repeated shouts of “nigger” have to go in history as perhaps the most gratuitous in rap), but this is a rare case were I can get behind the praise for a song of one of our most frustrating talents.

[imgsize 400x400]http://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000035648 ... 00x500.jpg[/imgsize]
Never should have called But my head's to the wall and I'm lonely
68. The Shins - New Slang
Score: 889.9 pts
Year of Release: 2001 (#7 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 54 (468 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 87
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 80

Fans: Brad(9)
Lowest rank: StevieFan13(135)

Rob: I have to admit that before this poll I always ignored The Shins with a certain vigour. I refused to listen to them. The reason was that the woohoo start of this song had been used by a certain brand in all their radio commercials for years and years. Those woohoos seemed to come up every damn minute till I couldn’t stand them anymore. Somehow I thought the whole bands output would be like that. Turns out that New Slang itself isn’t even like that. The woohoos are a small part. What we do get is a sweet indie tune; rather typical for the time, but done real well. I might even admit to liking the song. Maybe even love it once the opening stops reminding me of car repair.

StevieFan13: Madly overrated, but pleasant.

[imgsize 400x400]https://e.snmc.io/lk/f/l/f7db95f1f0f409 ... 837319.jpg[/imgsize]
I'm coming up only to hold you under
67. Band Of Horses - The Funeral
Score: 890 pts
Year of Release: 2006 (#10 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 133 (1237 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 136

Fans: Brad(3), slick(1)
Not Fans: rumpdoll(142), Toni(139)

Rob: The lyrics don’t make much sense on themselves, but they work because they set a very specific mood. A song named Funeral isn’t expected to sound happy, but still I’m surprised how sad and wistful this one sounds. I might have accused this band in the past for relying to much on the same sound over and over, but at least they found one song on which they could make that one sound into a sort of masterpiece.

[imgsize 400x400]http://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000177225 ... 00x500.jpg[/imgsize]
Nobody said it was easy
66. Coldplay - The Scientist
Score: 892.9 pts
Year of Release: 2002 (#10 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 92 (846 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 125

Fans: andyd1010(13), Henry(10), maverick470(6), Neil(2)
Not Fans: Brad(139), Dan(141), rumpdoll(149), StevieFan13(147)

Rob: This is a beautiful song that is almost great, but just misses something. Maybe I just want the final piano coda to be more powerful. Still, this was from the time Chris Martin still wrote lines like “Nobody said it was easy/ Nobody said it would be so hard” and sung them like he meant it. A flawed song perhaps, but at times it really moves me.

[imgsize 533x400]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/nDotMg5_cA4/hqdefault.jpg[/imgsize]
doko ni mo tougenkyou ga nai no nara, otsukuriitashimashou. (If there's no such place as Shangri-la let's make one of our own.)
65. Shiina Ringo - Soretsu (Funeral Procession)
Score: 893.3 pts
Year of Release: 2003 (#14 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: Unranked
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 224

Fans: DaveC(4), JamieW(14), sonofsamiam(3)
Not Fans: andyd1010(149), Dexter(146), Neil(150)

Rob: A song I never heard of by an artist I never heard of before this poll. Where do you discover this stuff? Oh well, it makes sure that Kashiwa Daisuke doesn’t have to represent Asia on his own here. Although Souretsu is 30 minutes shorter than Stella it does have a comparable mix between electronics and instrumentals that sound somewhat classical, although more than Stella I feel here some traditional Japanese influences. It is also a transporting piece. Not quite as sad as you expect from a funeral, but perhaps is meant more as a spiritual piece. In which case it works quite well.

DaveC: The lyrics are very cryptic - although something may be lost in translation. My best guess is that this is about how our knowledge of our mortality motivates our creativity. Love the maximalist production, we need more artists doing things like this.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

And now dropping rather unexpectedly; the first song from our last 2000s poll top 20

[imgsize 400x400]http://t2.genius.com/unsafe/220x0/https ... 1000x1.png[/imgsize]
Come to think about it, his name was…
64. Eminem (feat. Dido) - Stan
Score: 895.4 pts
Year of Release: 2000 (#5 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 27 (277 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 35
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 15

Fans: JamieW(8)
Not Fans: bonnielaurel(137)

Rob: Storytime. The thing about songs that aren’t poetry so much as real tales is that they can bore more quickly, because once you know the tale, part of the mystery fades quickly. I’ve found out this doesn’t quite happen to Stan. Perhaps it is Eminem’s command of words or maybe it is the melancholy of the Dido sample. Or the tale of the obsessive fan is to visceral and exciting to let go of.

StevieFan13: Em was never a better storyteller than on “Stan.” It takes a lot for a song to actually get me scared, but the first time I listened to it while really paying attention to the lyrics, I can’t deny the “oh shit, oh God, is this really happening” feeling I got when the song reached its climax. Some of his strongest lyrics ever are on “Stan,” proving once and for all that Eminem is more than just in it for shock value. It doesn’t feel like a hollow scare, the way a lot of Marilyn Manson’s tracks do. Eminem has a method to his madness, and it pays off grandly here.

[imgsize 406x400]http://enjoythebeats.com/remixclub/wp-c ... 00x591.jpg[/imgsize]
Me and Timbaland been hot since twenty years ago
63. Missy Elliott - Get Ur Freak On
Score: 895.8 pts
Year of Release: 2001 (#4 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 7 (79 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 38
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 93

Fans: BleuPanda(10), Dexter(12), StevieFan13(13)
Not Fans: Brad(143), DaveC(147), DepecheMode(142/143), JamieW(142), whuntva(143)

Rob: The most iconic of Missy Elliot songs and that is for a reason. Where most pop or R&B songs have just one element that is catchy and memorable, this one has a ton of them. The eastern guitar part, the titular chorus, the little peeps and squeals, the way Elliot sometimes interrupts the song with sudden shouts; the more you listen to it, the more clear it becomes that is a rather odd song and all the more appealing because of that.

StevieFan13: You always remember the first time you heard “Get Ur Freak On.” Mine was in art class about ten years after it came out. I was transfixed. I had never heard any rapper, let alone a female rapper, quite like Missy Elliott. And how had I rode the whole Timbaland hype wave without hearing this song once? I rectified that many times over in the years since, as this track is one for the history books.

[imgsize 400x428]http://i.pinimg.com/736x/43/8b/26/438b2 ... stwood.jpg[/imgsize]
The future is coming on
62. Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
Score: 898.6 pts
Year of Release: 2001 (#3 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 56 (473 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 47
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 38

Highest rank: StevieFan13(17)
Not Fans: bonnielaurel(149), Henry(146)

Rob: A very, very relaxed song. Let’s not talk about it, but instead lie down and enjoy the groove.

StevieFan13: Damon Albarn’s penchant for the delightfully dippy comes to a head on “Clint Eastwood.” Lord knows Blur never released anything this odd, sparse, or rap-influenced. From that crazy beat to Del tha Funkee Homosapien’s scene-stealing guest verses, this is the sound of a band perfectly in control while all hell breaks loose. The music video, with the Gorillaz calmly playing while dodging Del as a loopy genie-like character raising hell all around them, feels like a perfect metaphor for “Clint Eastwood.” Unfazed, tight, and absolutely insane. But man, does it ever work.

[imgsize 711x400]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/h_h54yIl7ik/maxresdefault.jpg[/imgsize]
And now all your love is wasted
61. Bon Iver - Skinny Love
Score: 900.3 pts
Year of Release: 2007 (#14 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 55 (471 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 141

Fans: Listyguy(7)
Not Fans: Henry(143), rumpdoll(138)

Listyguy: A truly beautiful, and heartbreaking song. The song is strikingly bare, which makes it that much more powerful.

Rob: Nobody really sounds like Bon Iver, do they? The whole idea of going to a cabin and recording some home baked songs comes off as a cute indie cliché, but there is nothing cliché about Skinny Loves. Not only are the lyrics inspired, but above all Vernon’s vocals seem to belong to another place than our world. Maybe an alternative Earth where mystical powers are a real thing. Skinny Love also makes me realize how little classic singer-songwriter tracks the zeroes had.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

rumpdoll wrote:I discovered much new music while doing these lists last year (thanks guys) but didn't think I would discover anything in the top 150 list.
I was wrong, Of Montreals Grotesque Animal is a monster of a song I listened to many many times last month.
You're welcome, Brad and I team up once a decade to move an epic awesome song to the 2nd round. Watch us next on the 1994 poll.

I thought Wolf Like Me was the one TV on the Radio "thing" that resisted their slow fade away from acclaim and AM love, looks like it's not the case (though as far as I'm concerned I'd rather see their albums and Staring at the Sun stay in the collective conscience).
DaveC wrote:

Not Fans: Listyguy(150), StevieFan13(145)
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Nassim wrote:
DaveC wrote:

I will gladly be on that list!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Listyguy wrote:
Nassim wrote:
DaveC wrote:

I will gladly be on that list!
Likewise! And don’t worry, Heartbeat is in my top 25.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 400x400]http://www.soulinstereo.com/wp-content/ ... ddiger.jpg[/imgsize]
Yea she's a trifling friend indeed
60. Kanye West feat. Jamie Foxx - Gold Digger
Score: 900.6 pts
Year of Release: 2005 (#5 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 47 (429 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 89
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 99

Fans: rumpdoll(10), StevieFan13(8)
Not Fans: bonnielaurel(147), DaveC(138)

Rob: As per usual with Kanye West this is mostly a song of great production. It sounds so great. I don’t care about the lyrics at all, but the use of Jamie Foxx in Ray Charles mode and overall flow make this a good listen.

StevieFan13: Not Kanye’s best track, but close. I don’t care who gets riled up by that: I like my Kanye streamlined and catchy, and “Gold Digger” balances some of his finest rapping with an unstoppable hook. It’s a shame he’s drifted so far away from pop, because the man knew how to craft a hit.

[imgsize 400x400]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BpbNhHDiuJY/U ... ind300.jpg[/imgsize]
I wish the light could shine now
59. Hercules and Love Affair - Blind
Score: 902.2 pts
Year of Release: 2008 (#7 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 42 (393 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 32
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 86

Fans: BleuPanda(12), Neil(13), Toni(7)
Not Fans: phil(139), Rob(142)

Rob: Never quite got the greatness of this one. It is okay and Anohni’s voice is unusual enough to elevate this track somewhat. Still, I feel there is something too old fashioned about this. The synths sometimes border on the cliché here.

[imgsize 400x400]http://www.u2songs.com/images/disco/_full/X8021-01.jpg[/imgsize]
I know I'm not a hopeless case
58. U2 - Beautiful Day
Score: 906.3 pts
Year of Release: 2000 (#4 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 91 (835 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 120
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 85

Fans: andyd1010(14), bonnielaurel(12), Henry(13), whuntva(4)
Not Fans: Nassim(145), Toni(137)

Rob: This is very much a U2 track. After a more “experimental”, rocking decade, the band clearly wanted to become the more likeable, everyman group used to pretend they were. Beautiful Day is probably the best song that came from that. It is perhaps too classically U2 to surprise, but it works very well. Especially the guitars by The Edge are very welcome.

[imgsize 400x400]http://images.rapgenius.com/0be53da8613 ... x600x1.jpg[/imgsize]
You and I must fight for our rights
57. Muse - Knights of Cydonia
Score: 906.6 pts
Year of Release: 2006 (#7 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 208 (1915 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 184

Fans: andyd1010(4), slick(9), whuntva(10)
Not Fans: BangJan(138), ProsecutorGodot(137), rumpdoll(143), sonofsamiam(138)

andyd1010: When I think of 21st century rock, the first songs that come to mind are Seven Nation Army and Knights of Cydonia. This song has such an epic scope, and it makes for one of the best concert closers.

Rob: I think I once heard someone (on this forum perhaps) call this the song equivalent of a Michael Bay movie. Yes, but when did Michael Bay ever make something this good? I love how unashamedly grandiose and propulsive Knights of Cydonia is. There is not a single hint that Muse wants to be subtle. This sounds like you are chased by wild beasts and screaming for danger is rarely a subtle action.

[imgsize 400x400]http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/wp-cont ... k-cave.jpg[/imgsize]
So if you got a trumpet, get on your feet,
brother, and blow it
56. Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - There She Goes, My Beautiful World
Score: 907.5 pts
Year of Release: 2004 (#10 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 540 (4505 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 139

Fans: BangJan(7), Rob(12), sonofsamiam(15)
Not Fans: Dexter(143)

Rob: Am I the only one who hears I’ve Got the Music in Me by The Kiki Dee Band in this? No matter, lyrically this is something totally else and Nick Cave himself doesn’t exactly sound like Kiki Dee. What we do get is a cosmic gospel song that makes you want to wave at the Earth as it passes you by. It’s one of the biggest sounding songs on this list (and in Cave’s career) and it manages to be truly majestic.
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

Every post I became more sure that Bang Jan and sonofsamiam are the same person, lol
Pauler
Let's Get It On

Post by Pauler »

I just can't say enough praise about Missy's talent. She always manages to make a track sound incredibly catchy with her rhythm play and she never makes it sound too technical. Many of her best are immensely enjoyable but at the same time "easy" enough so you can sing/rap along. Also, she's a very good singer.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Toni wrote:Every post I became more sure that Bang Jan and sonofsamiam are the same person, lol
You know, now that I look back through these results, you might be onto something...
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Listyguy wrote:
Toni wrote:Every post I became more sure that Bang Jan and sonofsamiam are the same person, lol
You know, now that I look back through these results, you might be onto something...
It's a conspiracy to tank Knights of Cydonia! Wake up, sheeple!
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

I'm really happy to see those songs by Muse (Bang Jan & sonofsamiam not fans) and Nick Cave (Bang Jan & sonofsamiam fans) get the kind of recognition that I think they deserve. Bang Jan & sonofsamiam live & work in different parts of the world, so probably not the same person. An anti-Muse conspiracy is possible; though Muse rather invite that both musically and lyrically.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 400x400]http://www.thecouchsessions.com/wp-cont ... 00x300.jpg[/imgsize]
In rainbows
55. Radiohead - Reckoner
Score: 908.8 pts
Year of Release: 2007 (#6 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 189 (1750 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 34
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 58

Fans: DepecheMode(3), rumpdoll(7)
Not Fans: maverick470(102/109), Rob(141), StevieFan13(136)

Rob: In Rainbows has never been an album I could get into. Some people claim that the band got to artificial on Kid A, but I think that only happened on In Rainbows. Exhibit A is Reckoner, usually a favourite of Radiohead song. To me it sounds original, sure, but it also seems that the emotion – a key ingredient of Radiohead – has gone here, being replaced by a mechanical sound that is objectively interesting, but doesn’t quite get to me.

StevieFan13: That sure is a Radiohead song, alright.

[imgsize 400x400]http://www.thatericalper.com/wp-content ... er_art.jpg[/imgsize]
It's true, Look how they shine for you
54. Coldplay - Yellow
Score: 912.1 pts
Year of Release: 2000 (#7 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 53 (455 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 107
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 55

Fans: andyd1010(12)
Not Fans: Brad(142), StevieFan13(138)

Rob: Am I the only one who always thinks Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead is starting when Yellow begins? Anyway, I’ve never thought Yellow was anything special. It’s hardly a standout in Coldplay’s discography and even Parachute contains better songs. It’s not bad, kinda pretty, but also a song I hardly even feel like playing.

[imgsize 400x400]http://t2.genius.com/unsafe/220x0/https ... x953x1.jpg[/imgsize]
With a taste of a poison paradise
53. Britney Spears - Toxic
Score: 913.2 pts
Year of Release: 2003 (#8 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 35 (326 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 86

Fans: bonnielaurel(8), Neil(8), phil(11)
Not Fans: slick(93/100)

Rob: I know the current poptimism movement tries to make a lot of Spears, that she might even have been brilliant all along. I won’t play that game, there is very little there in Spears’ music that is worth listening to more than twice. For long this was the one song that had to give her credibility. Perhaps. I think it followed Missy Elliot’s Get Ur Freak On a bit too soon, what with the eastern influences and vocal that change direction more than seems reasonable. And Spears can’t touch Missy Elliot’s talent at all. But I’ll give this is a catchy and somewhat fun tune and that’s more than I can say about anything else this girl has done.

[imgsize 400x400]http://pearshapedexeter.com/wp-content/ ... m-Live.jpg[/imgsize]
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid of the fire that propelled it to thee
52. Joanna Newsom - Emily
Score: 913.9 pts
Year of Release: 2006 (#8 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 898 (6985 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 56

Fans: BangJan(8), bonnielaurel(7), Rob(2)
Not Fans: andyd1010(147), Neil(136)

Rob: A huge poem. Surely nothing in the whole decade matches these lyrics? It is a tough song to get. I sure needed a couple of times to be convinced. Newsom is one of these artists that stands alone. Even in the competitive field of female singer-songwriters there is really no one like her. Emily stands as the biggest proof. No one quite arranges his or her songs so idiosyncratic. Nobody writes lines as deep as she. And only few artists dare to take their voices to so many different places as Newsom.

StevieFan13: I can never design whether or not I like Joanna Newsom. I’m erring toward “like” for this one. It’s quite good.

[imgsize 400x400]http://s3.amazonaws.com/images.sheetmus ... /large.jpg[/imgsize]
These streets will make you feel brand new
51. Jay-Z feat. Alicia Keys - Empire State of Mind
Score: 916.1 pts
Year of Release: 2009 (#1 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 16 (150 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 102
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 83

Fans: Listyguy(4)
Not Fans: maverick470(104/109)

Listyguy: I wasn't a fan of this song when it first came out, but I'm from New York so eventually I came around to it. I swear that's not THE reason I like it though!

Rob: I can be a bit critical of Jay-Z, but not this time. This is a great song. This lyrical ode to New York brims with life and Jay-Z really sounds like he is enjoying himself. Above all, Alicia Keys vocals really elevate the song to a higher plain (her own version of the song is great too by the way, and oddly underrated by critics; when I stayed in New York for a couple of months a few years ago, that was the version I heard everywhere).
rumpdoll
Different Class

Post by rumpdoll »

Nassim wrote:
rumpdoll wrote:I discovered much new music while doing these lists last year (thanks guys) but didn't think I would discover anything in the top 150 list.
You're welcome, Brad and I team up once a decade to move an epic awesome song to the 2nd round. Watch us next on the 1994 poll.
I'll watch for your lists, the only 10 Minute song I have in mind for 1994 yet is Lullaby by Low
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

>Work It / Missy Elliot
>Not Fans: Brad(145), DaveC(148), DepecheMode(143/143), JamieW(150), Listyguy(140), phil(146), StevieFan13(141), whuntva(144)

This does not work for me at all guys / had I voted, it would have been my #1 :angry-banghead:

I'm enjoying reading the roll-out, looking forward to the Top 50!
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

DaveC wrote:
I'm really happy to see those songs by Muse (Bang Jan & sonofsamiam not fans) and Nick Cave (Bang Jan & sonofsamiam fans) get the kind of recognition that I think they deserve. Bang Jan & sonofsamiam live & work in different parts of the world, so probably not the same person. An anti-Muse conspiracy is possible; though Muse rather invite that both musically and lyrically.
I’m just kidding, because their taste is extremely similar. I think Sonofsamiam was already on the forum since I began here, some 10 years ago, so I’m sure they are both serious participants.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Opening our top 50 for the decade with the highest ranked song from 2009:

[imgsize 454x400]http://archive.li/H1zD3/0a89324948c2857 ... 5d3531.jpg[/imgsize]
I don't mean to seem like I care about material things like a social status
50. Animal Collective - My Girls
Score: 923.2 pts
Year of Release: 2009 (#3 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 18 (177 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 94
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 44

Fans: phil(2), ProsecutorGodot(11)
Not Fans: slick(95/100)

Rob: The most acclaimed song by Animal Collective and it is… Fine. Hey, that’s praise for me when we talk about this band. Of course they can’t let something as unnecessary as the water sounds out of it, but by this time they were making more or less straight songs and although I usually won’t encourage moves towards conventionality by idiosyncratic artists, for Animal Collective it is a blessing.

StevieFan13: Eh. It’s alright.

[imgsize 711x400]http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/ori ... 816d5a.jpg[/imgsize]
Bitter melodies turning your orbit around
49. Wilco - Jesus, Etc.
Score: 926 pts
Year of Release: 2002 (#7 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 73 (644 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 30
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 28

Fans: Neil(1)
Lowest rank: phil(127)

Rob: One of the best tracks by Wilco. It is hard to capture in words what makes this song work so well. Like a lot of indie music from this era it mostly seems to want to float in space. And this one really does. Under it’s light sound there is some serious musicianship going on, even if it doesn’t draw attention to itself.

[imgsize 409x400]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_50 ... 317636.jpg[/imgsize]
These two sides of my brain need to have a meeting
48. The White Stripes - Fell in Love with a Girl
Score: 938.6 pts
Year of Release: 2001 (#8 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 29 (290 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 18
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 25

Highest rank: slick(17)
Lowest rank: bonnielaurel(130)

Rob: This song evokes the feeling of falling in love very, very suddenly, as if it hits you like a speeding truck. BAM!

StevieFan13: The song that helped me fall in love with the White Stripes. They never topped it. They made many great songs, but bless their souls, they never topped it.

[imgsize 400x400]http://theflowtationdevice.files.wordpr ... 8-4971.jpg[/imgsize]
If you don't like my lyrics, you can press fast forward
47. Jay-Z - 99 Problems
Score: 940.7 pts
Year of Release: 2003 (#11 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 8 (96 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 26
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 48

Fans: Dan(9), DepecheMode(14)
Not Fans: DaveC(142)

Rob: “I’ve got 99 Problem, but a bitch ain’t one” is of course one of the decade’s most recognizable lines and the heavy beats are inspired. Would it hurt though, Jay-Z, to fact check this simple tale? You know, a police can search a car without a warrant. Oh well, although it isn’t my favourite Jay-Z track (and Jay-Z isn’t a particular favourite rapper for me either, although this time his slow delivery fit the beats), this is a fun song.

[imgsize 533x400]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/i3XJxJEUr9o/hqdefault.jpg[/imgsize]
I would name her rock 'n roll
46. The Roots feat. Cody ChesnuTT - The Seed (2.0)
Score: 941.6 pts
Year of Release: 2002 (#6 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 61 (530 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 55
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 46

Fans: JamieW(13), rumpdoll(15), slick(8)
Not Fans: bonnielaurel(144)

Rob: Basically a reinvention of a song unsurprisingly named The Seed by Cody ChesnuTT, this is a rare mix of pure rock and pure rap. Since Run-DMC this melding of genre has all too rarely happened this directly, unless you count some nu-metal. This is a groovy affair, but with a real rock appeal. Unabashedly about sex, this is both one of the smoothest and dirtiest tracks on this list. Hard not to love.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”