[Results] Songs of the 2000s

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: [Results] Songs of the 2000s

Post by BleuPanda »

It's still hard for me to comprehend that we can consistently praise "Paper Planes" and then leave out M.I.A.'s other work. She has such a large body of great songs off her first two albums, but even the usual #2 "Galang" didn't make this final top 150. (Similarly, how do we place Time to Pretend in our top 20 and not find room for Kids?)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

BleuPanda wrote:It's still hard for me to comprehend that we can consistently praise "Paper Planes" and then leave out M.I.A.'s other work. She has such a large body of great songs off her first two albums, but even the usual #2 "Galang" didn't make this final top 150. (Similarly, how do we place Time to Pretend in our top 20 and not find room for Kids?)
I'm more surprised by the Kids/Time to Pretend one as those are fairly similar songs : anthemic, same genre, same themes, big synth line, marching drum beat, you'd guess if you like one, you like the other too (except for that horrible bridge in Kids I guess).
On the other hand, Paper Planes is a radio friendly version of M.I.A. that tames much of what made her so original : there's not much of the tribal percussions of Bird Flu, oriental influences of Jimmy, dancehall rhythms of Galang or whole around craziness of Bucky Done Gun. Paper Planes is M.I.A. going western and more pop, which in this specific case worked pretty well.
Listyguy wrote:Never thought "Crazy" would win the songs poll! This is awesome! As Rob mentioned, for a few years it was the top song of the 00's on AM.net, before slowly falling out of favor and being replaced with the like of "Paper Planes."

But the no #1 votes piece is also impressive. 2 #2 votes and 2 #5 votes and somehow winning the poll is pretty good in my book.

I think even more than Hey Ya, Crazy is really a song that pretty much nobody dislikes, and that's what made it win I guess : the songs from 3 to 10 have as much huge supporters as the top 2 (if not even more), but probably more people who don't love them as much.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Nassim wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:It's still hard for me to comprehend that we can consistently praise "Paper Planes" and then leave out M.I.A.'s other work. She has such a large body of great songs off her first two albums, but even the usual #2 "Galang" didn't make this final top 150. (Similarly, how do we place Time to Pretend in our top 20 and not find room for Kids?)
I'm more surprised by the Kids/Time to Pretend one as those are fairly similar songs : anthemic, same genre, same themes, big synth line, marching drum beat, you'd guess if you like one, you like the other too (except for that horrible bridge in Kids I guess).
On the other hand, Paper Planes is a radio friendly version of M.I.A. that tames much of what made her so original : there's not much of the tribal percussions of Bird Flu, oriental influences of Jimmy, dancehall rhythms of Galang or whole around craziness of Bucky Done Gun. Paper Planes is M.I.A. going western and more pop, which in this specific case worked pretty well.
Completely agree, Nassim. The MGMT divide is really surprising. And Paper Planes is one of my favorite songs, but I guess the other stuff M.I.A. does just goes over my head. I like parts of a couple of her songs, but I find most of them really harsh and grating, full of unpleasant sounds. The unusual sounds work great for Paper Planes, but I have a hard time getting through her albums, and I ranked them near the bottom in the poll. Sorry. So I guess we're even after Sam's Town.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I think Paper Planes is a great song but also think it’s overvalued relative to her other work because people fetishize the gunshot sound effect.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Jirin wrote:I think Paper Planes is a great song but also think it’s overvalued relative to her other work because people fetishize the gunshot sound effect.
What makes you say that? Paper Planes is a good example of a song in which every element helps create a total picture. Perhaps it is M.I.A. moving towards pop, but this song works on many levels, of which the gun is just one.
I voted for several other M.I.A. tracks, so don't blame me, but still Paper Planes is my favorite.

Thanks, DaveC for this presentation! :music-guitarred:
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Jirin wrote:I think Paper Planes is a great song but also think it’s overvalued relative to her other work because people fetishize the gunshot sound effect.
I think the enhancement of the sound from the Clash sample is what really gives the song life and makes it great. The sound effects help enhance it further, but there are tons of songs with cool sound effects that I dislike because they don't do much with them musically.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Rob wrote:
What makes you say that? Paper Planes is a good example of a song in which every element helps create a total picture. Perhaps it is M.I.A. moving towards pop, but this song works on many levels, of which the gun is just one.
I voted for several other M.I.A. tracks, so don't blame me, but still Paper Planes is my favorite.

Thanks, DaveC for this presentation! :music-guitarred:
I just see it as another good MIA song, but not better than Jimmy or Galang. I don't get why Paper Planes gets all the attention over all the other songs on the album.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

DaveC wrote:[imgsize 400x400]

[imgsize 557x400]http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/ori ... b5d9e9.jpg[/imgsize]
I'm not here, This isn't happening
24. Radiohead - How to Disappear Completely
Score: 1043.7 pts
Year of Release: 2000 (#12 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 243 (2150 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 70
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: Not top 100

Fans: DepecheMode(2), JamieW(11), ProsecutorGodot(10), rumpdoll(2)
Not Fans: Henry(142), slick(94/100)

Rob: Whoever called Kid A an unemotional album (which it really isn’t), must have skipped this track, one of their most moving pieces. It really gets a lot out of the voice of Tom Yorke, who sends chills to the bone. This is a song for extremely lonely people and it sounds completely lost.

While it is true that I am not a fan of this song, perhaps it will be a grower after a few more listens. Thanks to Rob for providing his insightful perspective in his description above.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

DaveC wrote:[imgsize 400x400]http://static.stereogum.com/uploads/201 ... 8x606.jpeg[/imgsize]
I told him, "Don't do it that way. You'll never make a dime."
30. LCD Soundsystem - Losing My Edge
Score: 1030 pts
Year of Release: 2002 (#9 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 10 (123 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 27
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 49

Fans: BleuPanda(2), DepecheMode(12), Nassim(8), Toni(6)
Not Fans: Dan(139), Henry(147), slick(98/100)

Rob: If I have to explain the appeal of this song to you, you are probably on the wrong forum.

Since I am clearly not a fan of this song and Rob's description was not intended to convince me that another listen is warranted, perhaps BleuPanda, Toni, Nassim or DepecheMode could attempt to articulate why they are such big fans of this song. After all, I do very much enjoy other LCD Soundsystem songs, so there is a decent possibility that this song could improve for me.

I welcome Dan and slick to our team of those who are "probably on the wrong forum." :music-rockon:
Depeche Mode
Wannabe

Post by Depeche Mode »

Henry wrote:
DaveC wrote:[imgsize 400x400]http://static.stereogum.com/uploads/201 ... 8x606.jpeg[/imgsize]
I told him, "Don't do it that way. You'll never make a dime."
30. LCD Soundsystem - Losing My Edge
Score: 1030 pts
Year of Release: 2002 (#9 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 10 (123 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 27
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 49

Fans: BleuPanda(2), DepecheMode(12), Nassim(8), Toni(6)
Not Fans: Dan(139), Henry(147), slick(98/100)

Rob: If I have to explain the appeal of this song to you, you are probably on the wrong forum.

Since I am clearly not a fan of this song and Rob's description was not intended to convince me that another listen is warranted, perhaps BleuPanda, Toni, Nassim or DepecheMode could attempt to articulate why they are such big fans of this song. After all, I do very much enjoy other LCD Soundsystem songs, so there is a decent possibility that this song could improve for me.

I welcome Dan and slick to our team of those who are "probably on the wrong forum." :music-rockon:
I only listened to it for this poll, for some reason it has passed me by before. So the novelty factor worked for me, I knew James Murphy can be whimsical but not to this extent. I found it hilarious and listened to it many times since. The pacing of the musical buildup also works very well for me but the lyrics enhance it from a good song to perhaps the highlight of their career.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

The lyrics of Losing My Edge are comedy gold; there are few great songs I can think of that serve the main purpose of being funny. How many songs in the top 1000 can garner an intentional laugh? "Losing My Edge" essentially serves as James Murphy's thesis statement, the song that sets everything else they do into motion. In a way, the song feels like an attack on communities like ours; his tirade about how the internet generation is able to access quick resources to know exactly what songs from what eras are worth knowing. Even though its from 2002, it seemed to perfectly predict just how the consumption of music would change; yet, he constantly walks back these statements, as if realizing his own arrogance:
"But I'm losing my edge to better-looking people
With better ideas and more talent
And they're actually really, really nice"

Like the other great LCD Soundsystem songs, there's this constant sense of conflict. Where "All My Friends" finds Murphy conflicted between the desire to live without regrets with the truth of feeling regret anyway, "Losing My Edge" finds him struggling to appear cool while realizing that 'being cool' isn't the point.

The music also works to great effect here; it starts with a simple yet effective beat and, in true LCD fashion, slowly builds to chaos. It's essentially the archetypal LCD Soundsystem song. Everything about this song captures what the genre title 'Dance Punk' seems to imply; a jagged beat that's oddly dance-able, matched with faux-serious lyrics delivered through a deadpan talk where you're pretty sure the vocalist is masking the fact he can't sing (though we later learn this specific vocalist can).

There's also that experience for someone like me where, revisiting the song every few months, you slowly begin to realize you're becoming more and more familiar with those artists he name drops at the end, and that's kind of a wonderful experience (while also tying back into the point of the song; what was once viewed as exclusive and cool is now available to everyone with an internet connection).
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

BleuPanda wrote:The lyrics of Losing My Edge are comedy gold; there are few great songs I can think of that serve the main purpose of being funny. How many songs in the top 1000 can garner an intentional laugh? "Losing My Edge" essentially serves as James Murphy's thesis statement, the song that sets everything else they do into motion. In a way, the song feels like an attack on communities like ours; his tirade about how the internet generation is able to access quick resources to know exactly what songs from what eras are worth knowing. Even though its from 2002, it seemed to perfectly predict just how the consumption of music would change; yet, he constantly walks back these statements, as if realizing his own arrogance:
"But I'm losing my edge to better-looking people
With better ideas and more talent
And they're actually really, really nice"

Like the other great LCD Soundsystem songs, there's this constant sense of conflict. Where "All My Friends" finds Murphy conflicted between the desire to live without regrets with the truth of feeling regret anyway, "Losing My Edge" finds him struggling to appear cool while realizing that 'being cool' isn't the point.

The music also works to great effect here; it starts with a simple yet effective beat and, in true LCD fashion, slowly builds to chaos. It's essentially the archetypal LCD Soundsystem song. Everything about this song captures what the genre title 'Dance Punk' seems to imply; a jagged beat that's oddly dance-able, matched with faux-serious lyrics delivered through a deadpan talk where you're pretty sure the vocalist is masking the fact he can't sing (though we later learn this specific vocalist can).

There's also that experience for someone like me where, revisiting the song every few months, you slowly begin to realize you're becoming more and more familiar with those artists he name drops at the end, and that's kind of a wonderful experience (while also tying back into the point of the song; what was once viewed as exclusive and cool is now available to everyone with an internet connection).
Fantastic review BleuPanda. You captured the appeal of the song really well. This is another example of a song I initially dismissed, this time due to what I perceived to be a lack of musicality, mostly due to the odd vocals. But the lyrics and beat helped it grow on me, and now I have a better appreciation of it due to all of the clever subtleties you pointed out, some of which I had noticed and others I hadn't thought of.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

"I heard that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables...

...I heard that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars"
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Listyguy wrote:"I heard that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables...

Of all the songs I regret not placing higher that I already enjoyed, this is the big one. I love it a lot.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

Listyguy wrote:"I heard that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables...

"I heard you have a compilation of every good song ever done by anybody."

"I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know"

I love Murphy's sense of irony about all snobbery that evolves music world (actually, every other art form also), and that he does it while himself also distiles his own knowlegde to the listener. Musically, it is based on a simple synth line, around which infectious beats and synths appear throughout the whole song, all while Murphy sings in his typical talking way. I don't consider it the quintessential LCD Soundsystem style, that would be the more fullfilled wall of sound he came to develop later ("Us vs Them", "Home", "Other Voices", "Pow Pow"). This is, however, the perfect sound to go along such unique lyrics.

Not much more to say after Bluepanda's great review. I still don't know which of their songs is surely the best one, but this is among their peaks.
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

Henry wrote:
DaveC wrote: Rob: If I have to explain the appeal of this song to you, you are probably on the wrong forum.
I think Rob was telling that such a rich "music about music" piece encapsulates many of the beloved trends of this forum (including the fact that snobbish guys don't find a place here, where people clearly listen to music for love, not to appearing cool).
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Toni wrote:
Henry wrote:
DaveC wrote: Rob: If I have to explain the appeal of this song to you, you are probably on the wrong forum.
I think Rob was telling that such a rich "music about music" piece encapsulates many of the beloved trends of this forum (including the fact that snobbish guys don't find a place here, where people clearly listen to music for love, not to appearing cool).
Indeed, it as a song not just about music snobbery, but also a sly ode to being a music nerd. That was what I was referring to.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Full list and spreadsheet:

1 | Gnarls Barkley | Crazy | 2006
2 | M.I.A. | Paper Planes | 2007
3 | OutKast | B.O.B. | 2000
4 | The White Stripes | Seven Nation Army | 2003
5 | OutKast | Hey Ya! | 2003
6 | LCD Soundsystem | All My Friends | 2007
7 | Arcade Fire | Rebellion (Lies) | 2004
8 | Franz Ferdinand | Take Me Out | 2004
9 | Arcade Fire | Wake Up | 2004
10 | Johnny Cash | Hurt | 2002
11 | Sufjan Stevens | Chicago | 2005
12 | MGMT | Time to Pretend | 2007
13 | Eminem | Lose Yourself | 2002
14 | LCD Soundsystem | Someone Great | 2007
15 | Arcade Fire | Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) | 2004
16 | Coldplay | Clocks | 2002
17 | Coldplay | Viva la Vida | 2008
18 | Portishead | The Rip | 2008
19 | Amy Winehouse | Rehab | 2006
20 | Radiohead | Pyramid Song | 2001
21 | Queens of the Stone Age | No One Knows | 2002
22 | OutKast | Ms. Jackson | 2000
23 | Fleet Foxes | White Winter Hymnal | 2008
24 | Radiohead | How to Disappear Completely | 2000
25 | The Avalanches | Frontier Psychiatrist | 2000
26 | The Strokes | Last Nite | 2001
27 | Radiohead | The National Anthem | 2000
28 | The Flaming Lips | Do You Realize?? | 2002
29 | Kashiwa Daisuke | Stella | 2007
30 | LCD Soundsystem | Losing My Edge | 2002
31 | Yeah Yeah Yeahs | Maps | 2003
32 | Sufjan Stevens | Casimir Pulaski Day | 2005
33 | Sufjan Stevens | John Wayne Gacy, Jr. | 2005
34 | The Killers | Mr. Brightside | 2003
35 | The Knife | Heartbeats | 2002
36 | Gorillaz | Feel Good Inc. | 2005
37 | Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z | Crazy in Love | 2003
38 | Arctic Monkeys | I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor | 2005
39 | Modest Mouse | Float On | 2004
40 | Radiohead | There There (The Boney King of Nowhere.) | 2003
41 | Radiohead | Everything in Its Right Place | 2000
42 | Amy Winehouse | Back to Black | 2006
43 | Radiohead | Idioteque | 2000
44 | Arcade Fire | Neighborhood #3 (Power Out) | 2004
45 | Daft Punk | One More Time | 2000
46 | The Roots feat. Cody ChesnuTT | The Seed (2.0) | 2002
47 | Jay-Z | 99 Problems | 2003
48 | The White Stripes | Fell in Love with a Girl | 2001
49 | Wilco | Jesus, Etc. | 2002
50 | Animal Collective | My Girls | 2009
51 | Jay-Z feat. Alicia Keys | Empire State of Mind | 2009
52 | Joanna Newsom | Emily | 2006
53 | Britney Spears | Toxic | 2003
54 | Coldplay | Yellow | 2000
55 | Radiohead | Reckoner | 2007
56 | Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds | There She Goes, My Beautiful World | 2004
57 | Muse | Knights of Cydonia | 2006
58 | U2 | Beautiful Day | 2000
59 | Hercules and Love Affair | Blind | 2008
60 | Kanye West feat. Jamie Foxx | Gold Digger | 2005
61 | Bon Iver | Skinny Love | 2007
62 | Gorillaz | Clint Eastwood | 2001
63 | Missy Elliott | Get Ur Freak On | 2001
64 | Eminem (feat. Dido) | Stan | 2000
65 | Shiina Ringo | Sōretsu (Funeral Procession) | 2003
66 | Coldplay | The Scientist | 2002
67 | Band Of Horses | The Funeral | 2006
68 | The Shins | New Slang | 2001
69 | Kanye West | Jesus Walks | 2004
70 | The Knife | Silent Shout | 2006
71 | TV on the Radio | Wolf Like Me | 2006
72 | Arcade Fire | Intervention | 2006
73 | The Walkmen | The Rat | 2004
74 | Bat for Lashes | Daniel | 2009
75 | Blur | Out of Time | 2003
76 | Phoenix | 1901 | 2009
77 | Radiohead | Jigsaw Falling into Place | 2007
78 | Daft Punk | Digital Love | 2001
79 | The Postal Service | Such Great Heights | 2003
80 | The Avalanches | Since I Left You | 2000
81 | Sigur Rós | Hoppípolla | 2005
82 | Of Montreal | The Past is a Grotesque Animal | 2007
83 | Green Day | American Idiot | 2004
84 | The National | Fake Empire | 2007
85 | Kings of Leon | Sex on Fire | 2008
86 | Fleet Foxes | Mykonos | 2008
87 | Santigold | L.E.S. Artistes | 2008
88 | Vampire Weekend | A-Punk | 2007
89 | Elbow | One Day Like This | 2008
90 | Norah Jones | Don't Know Why | 2002
91 | Jimmy Eat World | The Middle | 2001
92 | Grizzly Bear | Two Weeks | 2009
93 | Gorillaz | DARE | 2005
94 | Kylie Minogue | Can't Get You Out of My Head | 2001
95 | Björk | Pagan Poetry | 2001
96 | Sleater-Kinney | Jumpers | 2005
97 | Florence and the Machine | Dog Days Are Over | 2008
98 | Portishead | Silence | 2008
99 | The White Stripes | Hotel Yorba | 2001
100 | LCD Soundsystem | Daft Punk is Playing at My House | 2005
101 | The National | Mr. November | 2005
102 | The Cinematic Orchestra | Man With the Movie Camera | 2002
103 | Burial | Archangel | 2007
104 | TV on the Radio | Staring at the Sun | 2003
105 | Justice | D.A.N.C.E. | 2007
106 | The xx | Intro | 2009
107 | Duffy | Mercy | 2008
108 | Muse | Time Is Running Out | 2003
109 | Muse | Plug In Baby | 2001
110 | TV on The Radio | Halfway Home | 2008
111 | Vampire Weekend | Oxford Comma | 2007
112 | Alicia Keys | Fallin' | 2001
113 | Mariah Carey | We Belong Together | 2005
114 | Rihanna feat. Jay-Z | Umbrella | 2007
115 | Morrissey | First of the Gang to Die | 2004
116 | Phoenix | Lisztomania | 2009
117 | Duffy | Warwick Avenue | 2008
118 | Lady Gaga | Bad Romance | 2009
119 | The Killers | When You Were Young | 2006
120 | Muse | New Born | 2001
121 | Bright Eyes | First Day of My Life | 2005
122 | Dirty Projectors | Stillness is the Move | 2009
123 | Alicia Keys | If I Ain't Got You | 2003
124 | The Fiery Furnaces | Chris Michaels | 2004
125 | Yeah Yeah Yeahs | Zero | 2009
126 | The Hives | Hate To Say I Told You So | 2000
127 | Aaliyah | Try Again | 2000
128 | Fever Ray | Keep the Streets Empty For Me | 2009
129 | TV on The Radio | DLZ | 2008
130 | Green Day | Jesus of Suburbia | 2004
131 | Antony and The Johnsons | Hope There's Someone | 2005
132 | Lindstrøm | I Feel Space | 2005
133 | Lady Gaga | Poker Face | 2008
134 | System of a Down | Chop Suey! | 2001
135 | Benjamin Biolay avec Jeanne Cherhal | Brandt Rhapsodie | 2009
136 | Sunn O))) | Alice | 2009
137 | Animal Collective | Fireworks | 2007
138 | Gang Gang Dance | House Jam | 2008
139 | The Strokes | Hard to Explain | 2001
140 | Michael Buble | Home | 2005
141 | Ghostface Killah | Shakey Dog | 2006
142 | Wilco | Impossible Germany | 2007
143 | The Strokes | Reptilia | 2003
144 | Fever Ray | When I Grow Up | 2009
145 | Beyoncé | Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It) | 2008
146 | Radiohead | All I Need | 2007
147 | Kanye West | Spaceship | 2004
148 | Super Furry Animals | Receptacle for the Respectable | 2001
149 | Missy Elliott | Work It | 2002
150 | The Shins | Phantom Limb | 2006
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”