2019 Nominees - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Re: 2019 Nominees - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Post by Moonbeam »

Best induction class ever. I only wish Kraftwerk crashed the party, too!
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Janet, finally!
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Bruno wrote:Janet, finally!
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

I'm very happy for Radiohead, Janet, The Cure, Roxy Music and The Zombies. Hopefully, next year will be the year for Todd Rundgren, Devo and Kraftwerk.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Moonbeam wrote:Best induction class ever. I only wish Kraftwerk crashed the party, too!
Are you serious?

This is better than the first class?
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Hymie wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:Best induction class ever. I only wish Kraftwerk crashed the party, too!
Are you serious?

This is better than the first class?
By far. 2 of my top 5 artists ever and another in my top 15.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Individual 666
@WhiskeyTangoHo1
@StevieVanZandt Stevie...may I ask what band, above all others, do u think should already been in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
8:35 AM - 30 Nov 2018 from Denver, CO

Stevie Van Zandt
Procol Harum, closely followed by the J Geils Band, Johnny Burnette & Rock And Roll Trio, Junior Walker & the All Stars, Bad Company, Delaney & Bonnie, Raspberries, and individuals like Linc Wray, Roy Brown, Dick Dale, Gary US Bonds, Taj Mahal, Joe Cocker, it’s a long list.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I'm not too enthusiastic actually. It's a very mixed bag. I mean, Radiohead, The Cure and Roxy Music earned their spot. These three have a good body of work full classic songs and albums, had an influence on later musicians and hold up today.

I really don't know much about Def Leppard. A very popular band, if not a critical favorite, but mostly just a mainstay in the US as far as I can see. They only had minor hits in my home country, so that's why they probably aren't played anymore around here. But the Hall of Fame is an American affair and perhaps Def Leppard deserves to be the Bon Jovi of the year, the completely popular pick. Why not?

Then there are three weak inductees left. I won't get into Janet Jackson again. The Zombies are a strange case. They certainly have a name, but it is almost completely based around one single album: Odyssey and Oracle, plus the song She's Not There. That's not much. That album is a classic, but not even particularly innovative. I don't think it is enough to get them in before many other classic acts that did much more. Finally, Stevie Nicks makes no sense. Edge of Seventeen is a great song, but do we really let someone in based on one single song? I feel that her Fleetwood Mac background is what got her in, which is silly as that band is already inducted.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Hymie wrote:Individual 666
@WhiskeyTangoHo1
@StevieVanZandt Stevie...may I ask what band, above all others, do u think should already been in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
8:35 AM - 30 Nov 2018 from Denver, CO

Stevie Van Zandt
Procol Harum, closely followed by the J Geils Band, Johnny Burnette & Rock And Roll Trio, Junior Walker & the All Stars, Bad Company, Delaney & Bonnie, Raspberries, and individuals like Linc Wray, Roy Brown, Dick Dale, Gary US Bonds, Taj Mahal, Joe Cocker, it’s a long list.
Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Motorhead, XTC, Swans, Can, The Birthday Party/Nick Cave, Nick Drake, The Smiths, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, UFO, there's tons more.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Moonbeam wrote:I can't fault anyone for despising one of my favorites when I have posted such open disdain for certain forum favorites. :lol:

What I will say is that since Control, Janet has been very involved in the creative process behind her albums. Interviews with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis (as well as Janet), contemporary accounts of the process, etc., show that her albums are all about communicating where she is in her life at that particular moment and what she wants to say to her fans. Starting with Rhythm Nation 1814, she established a pattern of making her new album markedly different from its predecessor in sound and/or theme. That album in particular was massively important to a lot of black youth at the time, as Janet expressed the struggles they were going through and encouraged them to further their education and fight for a world of racial equality. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis have said she could have easily rested on her laurels from Control and put out a 9-track album called Escapade that was carefree, but Janet herself felt compelled to focus the album on societal issues. From there, she explored her sexual identity on janet., touched on deep feelings of depression and emotional abuse on The Velvet Rope, and opened up about the breakdown of her marriage on All for You, for instance.

Of course, her albums are pop albums, so in that sense, the sound and style reflects the sonic zeitgeist of the time (though I'd argue her albums helped forge the sonic zeitgeist of the subsequent few years, particularly with Control and Rhythm Nation 1814), and you'd better believe she and her team felt pressure to keep producing hits, but I feel those hits and those songs strongly bear her identity.

With that in mind, I can totally understand not digging her sound, her style, her voice, etc., but she isn't just a studio puppet or the face of a mindless corporate profit-hungry endeavor.

No hard feelings, Rob! We all have artists we love and, well, don't love!

This is the best attitude to have when someone expresses dislike towards a fave. You remain a quality member of this community moonbeam!
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

whuntva wrote:
Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Motorhead, XTC, Swans, Can, The Birthday Party/Nick Cave, Nick Drake, The Smiths, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, UFO, there's tons more.
No black acts?
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I agree with the consensus that this is a great class. (Of course what allowed this to be such a good class is that all of these acts were snubbed in the past.) Especially happy to see Roxy Music and The Zombies make it as I would not have expected them to get in ahead of other acts that are more popular in the U.S. The Zombies in particular have an underdog vibe to their career that makes me root for them, and I bet this achievement means a lot to them.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Henry wrote:Congrats to all the very deserving inductees!

Hopefully, Rundgren will have another chance next year.
He did very well with the fan vote, so I feel like they’ll give him another shot.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Great to see Roxy Music in, looks like it's a year where the more eccentric rock groups got long overdue consideration.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Hymie wrote:
whuntva wrote:
No black acts?
Most of the ones I could think of were ineligible.

But if you want those, how about Outkast? Or Johnny Ace? Or Living Colour or Booker White?

And how about a Latino act for good measure: Soda Stereo!
Huangal70
Wannabe

Post by Huangal70 »

outkast will probably get in next year given they have massive critical and commercial poularity
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Hymie wrote:
whuntva wrote:
No black acts?
Tricky should be in the hall of fame.

There, now you're at a crossroads. You have to pick whether to give me credit for including a black act, or you have to go down your little rabbit hole of claiming you get to decide what does or does not qualify as 'black music'.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

I should also state Stevie Nicks is the first woman inducted into the Hall of Fame more than once (the others to hold this distinction were all men).

Someone had to be the first, and I am glad it is her. She has the talent and the ability, so she feels worthy of holding that distinction to me.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Sampson's writeup on this year's inductees.

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best ... 019-x.html
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I just almost randomly stumbled upon the fact that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees of the year have already been announced. I could open a topic about it or is there already one, somewhere? It's usually a big thing on this forum so I can't really imagine it not getting any attention at all. (And was the shortlist process skipped this year?)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Nov. 6, 2020:
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame’s Class of 2021 will ‘probably’ be revealed in April

“The way we’ve done it [in the past], the nominating committee has met in September, it goes out to voting in late October, we announced the results in December, the induction ceremony has generally been in March or April,” Peresman said.

“Now, the nominating process will start in late January. We’ll announce the nominations in February. It will go out to voters and we’ll announce the nominees in the spring—probably early April.”

The list of newly eligible acts to be considered for the Class of 2021 ballot includes Jay-Z, Foo Fighters, Wilco, D’Angelo, Garbage, Incubus, Deftones, Jewel, The Chemical Brothers and others. An artist is eligible to be considered for the Rock Hall 25 years after their first official release.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.clevel ... utType=amp
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Live in Phoenix wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:17 pm Nov. 6, 2020:
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame’s Class of 2021 will ‘probably’ be revealed in April

“The way we’ve done it [in the past], the nominating committee has met in September, it goes out to voting in late October, we announced the results in December, the induction ceremony has generally been in March or April,” Peresman said.

“Now, the nominating process will start in late January. We’ll announce the nominations in February. It will go out to voters and we’ll announce the nominees in the spring—probably early April.”

The list of newly eligible acts to be considered for the Class of 2021 ballot includes Jay-Z, Foo Fighters, Wilco, D’Angelo, Garbage, Incubus, Deftones, Jewel, The Chemical Brothers and others. An artist is eligible to be considered for the Rock Hall 25 years after their first official release.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.clevel ... utType=amp
Jay-Z and Foo Fighters stand a good chance at being first-ballot inductees. I hope the pool of nominees is as strong and diverse as last year.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I'm not talking about the Class of 2021. I'm talking about the Class of 2020: https://www.rockhall.com/class-2020-ind ... ng%20Azoff.

This is real right? And there hasn't been any talk about it here, right? But it already happened, including the live show.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Rob wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:34 pm I'm not talking about the Class of 2021. I'm talking about the Class of 2020: https://www.rockhall.com/class-2020-ind ... ng%20Azoff.

This is real right? And there hasn't been any talk about it here, right? But it already happened, including the live show.
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/vi ... me#p115557
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

andyd1010 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:38 pm
Rob wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:34 pm I'm not talking about the Class of 2021. I'm talking about the Class of 2020: https://www.rockhall.com/class-2020-ind ... ng%20Azoff.

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/vi ... me#p115557
Ah, so it did get noted and I even replied to it. Very long time between the announcement and the show, must have caught me off guard (as well as that because of the abbreviation HOF I couldn't search it as Hall of Fame).
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

These would be my picks:

* Radiohead
* MC5
* The Zombies
* The Cure
* Roxy Music

(Even though I secretly want LL Cool J and Def Leppard to make it in but I think the five groups had more of an influence on popular music)
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Madzong wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:06 am These would be my picks:

* Radiohead
* MC5
* The Zombies
* The Cure
* Roxy Music

(Even though I secretly want LL Cool J and Def Leppard to make it in but I think the five groups had more of an influence on popular music)
Radiohead and The Zombies are already in.

Is there a shortlist for this year?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

andyd1010 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:22 pm
Madzong wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:06 am These would be my picks:

* Radiohead
* MC5
* The Zombies
* The Cure
* Roxy Music

Radiohead and The Zombies are already in.

Is there a shortlist for this year?
He's talking about nominations from 2019. Roxy Music and The Cure also got in. So 4/5! Not bad!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”